Your First Pad

No, I’m not talking about that kind of pad.  I’m talking about your living quarters.  Remember when we used to say “Hey, I can crash at your pad tonight?”.  That kind pad.

For me, I lived at home until Paula and I got married.  In fact, we still lived with my mom for a few months after we were married – until we could find our own place.  So for me, technically that was my first pad.

We rented a 1 bedroom condo at Kunawai Terrace off Liliha.  It was a nice place.  In fact, we liked it so much that about a year later, we bought a 2 bedroom unit there.

It was a 6 story building located right next to Kunawai Springs.  The building was shaped in a square with units on the Ewa, Kokohead, and Makai sides.  And a parking structure on the Mauka side.  But what you couldn’t see from the street was a beautiful Japanese garden in the center of the place – with a water feature, koi pond, and zen-like landscaping.  And the sound of the water feature echoed late in the evening.  A nice touch of serenity when it was time to fall asleep.

What I remember was the Paperbark trees that grew tall between the buildings.  In the early mornings and early evenings, the little sparrows would be chirping away like crazy – making a huge racket.  And when someone’s door would mistakenly slam, the chirping immediately stopped.  I mean, like dead silence.  Then one or two birds would start chirping again and in a matter of about 10 seconds, the chattering of all the little sparrows would start up again.  It was pretty amusing.

On the other hand, there was this old lady with a walker that lived directly above us.  And we’d hear that screech, screech, screech of her walker every time she’d venture out from her unit.  She was pretty grouchy too.  Some times we’d hear her arguing with her housekeeper or she’d be yelling at the neighboring house’s dog to stop barking.  “Shut up!  Quit your barking!  Damn dog!  Shut up!”

But other than her bitching, the place was really serene and we enjoyed living there.

Oh yeah, and late at night – or more like early in morning, we could smell the baking bread from Liliha bakery.  Mmmm…

Sometimes it made it a bit of a challenge trying to fall asleep.  Listening to the cool sounds of the water echoing throughout the complex, calming the senses – while smelling the freshly baked bread, waking up the senses.

What was your first pad?  Albeit a dorm room, walk up apartment, grandparent’s house, or back house?  What do you remember about that first place?  And what about subsequent pads?

206 Responses to “Your First Pad”

Wow, you folks had lots to say after I went to sleep at 9:30PM last night. Had to wake up early today to book our hotel room at the Cal.

What was the topic for this blog ❓ 😆

Enjoyed all the stories ❗ Have a great day 🙂

2. David In Oregon says:

sally: 6 degrees? I think in Hawaii, it’s more like 1 and a half, maybe 2. 😆

Hey, where’d my comment go? dang.

ct I probably do know your family, I’m hoping that you and 4g will be at the next Triad PahTay so I can meet you IRL.

I was at Paparazzi for a separate event the same night Kalani 74 had their reunion. I had a blast seeing friends from 9th grade!

DiO: you could very well be six degrees of separation for one of us too!

Okay gang, I fading fast. Will head to bed now, wait for new blog tomorrow.

G’nite! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4. David In Oregon says:

Wow, this one is regressing to the small world blog entry. That’s okay though, it’s interesting. Keep going…

😀

5. ct says:

Glad you enjoyed it … take care 4G

6. ct says:

@Sally – Spooky but you may know my oldest brother but I cannot remember exactly when we moved to Maunalei … he went to Liholiho then to Waialae but went to Kaimuki Inter and played in the band under Mr. Matsumoto … but went to Kalani grad ’74

@ct–and the pic of termite palace–priceless! 😉

dang, sally–about time you showed up! 😉

@ct–thnx for link; I remember playing Mr. Touchdown, Cheerio, Peter Gunn and, of course, Alma Mater. But, wahh? No Hawaii 5-0? LOL.

I was waiting to see where this convo was headed. Yes, I’m Kaimuki 74 but remember, was a product of Kaimuki Inter and my friends split between Kalani and Kaimuki.

@4g if you’re still here, yes I went to W&B’s wedding. I introduced them! That’s how they met. lol

10. ct says:

@4G – Good nite. one link for you

Can listen to Cheerio march and Peter Gunn

Also get one picture of the old Civic Auditorium

Okay–getting late for me. Gonna call it a night. Thanks Rodney, sally, LK, Seawalker and ct. Night!

@ct–ahh–the Cadiente brothers–I remember them; a bit before my time in HS, though. Onosai–I remember him leaping over standing defenders–unreal. BTW–I have seen a truck with one of those “memorial things” on the back window–“In honor of Onosai Tanuvasa Jr.” . . . .

You guys are welcome to carry on the conversation. I have to start writing tomorrow’s blog entry.

Where’s sally?!

LOL @Rodney. Yeah; sally is Kaimuki ’74. We likely were at least introduced a very looong time ago.

Hey, sally–did you go to W and B’s wedding?

15. ct says:

@4G – Gotta understand my father is a FHS grad so we used to to all football and basketball games … remembah da Cadientes … Onosai Tanuvasa … remembah Laboy when cry … had awesome teams but for some reason Espinda just couldn’t get to the championship … and remember Bob Ikehara … Willie Lai … think was Joel Marciel

@ct–yeah, I was gonna say, “it was ‘NA’ something”, but how obvious is that? LOL. I swear that her sister was my classmate–they used to live in Moanalua Gardens. I even remember visiting Sue in the hospital like in 75 or 76 . . . .

Sally, you reading this? Kalani ’74.

I know, you Kaimuki, but close, eh?

Yeah; I remember Keywanettes–but that was too hard for us Kalihi kids to pronounce! ; )

19. ct says:

@4G – Same here … small world … good meeting you too … my oldest brother grad ’74 but don’t know many 74ers outside of Kalani … Sue’s last name started with naka …

Oops–band in soph year . . . . ; )

LOL @ct and Peter Gunn–more worse, I was in the band my freshmen year, too! Too funny–I can hear Peter Gunn now . . . .

22. ct says:

we actually had a “Keywanettes” Club also sponsored by the Kiwanians

Cool, ct–nice to meet yah! 🙂

24. ct says:

what is that I hear … Peter Gunn playing in da background for 4G … hahaha

@ct–yeah, Sue N . . . . I can’t remember her last name but I can picture her face. Two years difference was a “lot” back then, but not so much now, eh? 😉

If I’m not mistaken, I think her older sister was my classmate. Now I’m going to be trying to figure out that last name! LOL.

I do know that Sue was in Hui ‘O Wahine–our sister club.

26. ct says:

@4G – alrighttttt … one gov key clubber … you guys were alright …

@ct–aahh–okay you are Kalani . . . .

28. ct says:

@4G – Yeah … dats her … on of da sweetest sweethearts Sue N …

@ct–do you remember a Garrett Y. that used to live in those “green houses” (across from Kalakaua)?

30. ct says:

Unreal … I remember walking on FHS campus past the gym … and getting some real stink … da kine cesspool eye … but was cool when they knew we wuz with da FHS Key Club guys … sorry … can’t remember off hand da older guys but we used to play b-ball from my soph year … don’t know if you remember any of our Kalani Key Club guys 74 pres was Darryl L, our senior sweetheart was Dawn A … 75 pres was Garret Y and junior sweetheart was Jade C

31. visitor says:

@ct & Linda – I grew up in Palolo. Near Anuenue School and Valley Meat Market. LK, growing up had lots of friends who lived in “Carlos Long.” The streets are named after flowers. But this was way before you moved there. Also had friends in lower Palolo too…Kaau, Hardesty, Hinahina, etc.

I think M said earlier that he lives near the store.

Oh wait–you talking about Keyclub sweetheart, Sue?

@ct–I think I know the name of Randall Y that you refer to; dunno about Sue though. I am 74.

34. ct says:

Goodnite Seawalker … take care

35. ct says:

Nah … wow … was a 76er … Farrington Pres was Randall Y … and the Division sweetheard was Sue …

laters Seawalker . . . .

Dang–and I was in FHS Key Club. I played Kam field b-ball a few times . . . . What year are you?

Ho, man you take the cake. LOL You cannot get anymore street-wise than someone from Kalihi. Almost ten, gotta go…laters.

Hey, Rodney–

Purple man = Mynah Lee!

40. ct says:

Used to play b-ball at Kam Field funny we were friend with a lot of the Farrington Key Club guys … lots of KPT guys used to play in pick up games … wuz good fun

For some reason … I remember a dance at the Nuuanu Y gym … hmmmmm

Dunno about Falefine . . . sorry

LOL–probably, but he was a little before my time. Lessee–Farrington to Liliha–that be Palama? LOL

I remember intermediate school time–I went to Stevenson on DE (yeah–upgrade Dole for Stevenson, right? LOL). I used to walk it sometimes from about Tasty Chop Suey to (or from) Nuuanu Y–for darned social club! LOL

Gravy and rice at Nuuanu Y–35 cents! LOL

KPT…Falefine still apartment manager?

I’m more familiar with the Dinner’s location, Farrington to Liliha. So you were there when Cayetano and the boys ruled Kalihi…LOL

KPT was my “backyard” LOL

First lived at apartments on Kalihi Street about a block and a half makai of Nimitz–those apartments are gone. Then lived on Martin Street–one block Ewa of School and Gulick. Tasty Chop Suey and Gulick Deli were like a block away. Could hit Gulick Deli on the way home from school.

The water main break on Amelia today (that seems to have flooded out at least one house) was one block ewa from Martin.

@4G – Wea in Kalihi you from?

mmmmmm–Tasty Chop Suey . . . . 🙂

Tasty Chop Suey? Lazo’s probably been there.

50. ct says:

@4G – Import/Export of course. That was one thing about the Marcos dynasty, if you got da $$$$$ you can get pretty much what you want, really efficient … just gotta pay off da gov’t cronies

Gulick Bakery sounds familiar, but my memory only goes that far. 😉 LOL.

I do remember 25 cents worth of Chow Funn from Gulick Deli, though . . . .

52. ct says:

Wait … wasn’t there a Gulick Bakery ???

hmmm–gotta wonder what kind of business, eh? 😉

Lazo drove a fancy car that he personalized. Always used to see him in Kalihi doing business.

Still see his 2 tone Rolls Royce once in a while.

@ct – Go to the one in McCully. They give plenty and this wahine always give free food!

57. ct says:

Didn’t Lazo drive a Rolls ??? and didn’t he live at the base of Punchbowl in Makiki near Lusitana

In addition to purple man, the original Kalihi whacko, the Filipino Marcos supporter, who drove around in his goofy car, was none other than Joe Lazo. Shoots, going jail again for doing this again. LOL

59. ct says:

The only thing I remember about Gulick was the Deli … but came supah expensive $$$$$$$

@Rodney–yup, he lived on Gulick. Purple rubbish cans, purple clothes, purple hat . . . .

61. ct says:

#145 – oooopps thats saw … not say

62. ct says:

@Rodney – Never say da purple man but wasn’t there the Zig Zag man in Kaneohe?

Didn’t Purple Man live on Gulick? Purple house, purple car, purple clothes.

64. ct says:

@4G – Yeah … dats one of the worse scents … after they bleed em and when they cut em … whooaaa … dat pig fat smell … killahs

@ct–LOL. I grew up in Kalihi. The worse was when someone would slaughter a pig. That poor thing would be squealing for a looong time! 🙁

66. ct says:

@4G – Well … I wuz going say someting about the people that lived there but I won’t but let me see purple … lavender … and my roommates mostly black dog stolen … hmmmmm

@ct and LK–you two spending time in Kalihi and all. Lavendar and purple reminds me of Mynah Lee! LOL.

@seawalker, have a good evening ❗ 🙂

Okay, time to botcha or in Pake, chung-lerng. Have a good evening!

@Seawalker, State of Hawaii doesn’t have 401(k), we have Deferred Compensation. For the past 5 years I pumped up the amount I was putting into that account planning for my retirement day. I have some nice bucks in there! I can’t touch it until I am 59.5 years old (next year)! That will hold me until Social Security at 62. My electric bill this month with our daughter using her A/C was $90.00! It used to be $550.00 when I ran all the air at once all day and night. I refuse to pay THAT much for electricity anymore!

@LK – Hey, stop typing so fast. LOL. Remember what I said earlier, mirror the 401(k) investments your employer is doing. I’ll bet you a drinky (I’m in a bar mood, haha) that you’ll get a 10% return for the year. Now, that’s growing your investments!

@seawalker, my first car was a Toyota Corona, owned it for 18 years before I traded it for a Camry. We love Camry’s. We gave away 2 of them and still have 2 more Camry’s. The only odd car is my 4 door Geo Tracker that I won 13 years ago that needs a paint job badly. I love this car so I guess we’ll get a cheap Maaco paint job soon. 😆

@ct, the inside of our house was painted the lime green he had on the outside of the house. I thought that was the only color of paint he owned ❗ 😆

@LK – Nope, not Kauhale. It was Pearlridge Square. At one point, this Korean lady and her boy toy rented the unit. I think he worked at an exotic bar as a bouncer because whenever I went to collect the rent, he used to try to throw in these “perks”. But please don’t associate me with the Korean Bars (Lord, I’m still on Friday’s topic).

Yes, we’ve been blessed to be able to live among the Mercedes and BMW’s. I drive a Camry and Mrs. Seawalker drives a Highlander. But we all use the same type of gate remote control opener and drive on the same road and share the same terrific view.

75. ct says:

@Linda – I guess times really changed after you left. I lived in the front house closest to the store. The funny thing is that the inside of our house was painted lavender and purple … so we painted it white … before we went blind

The laundromat was good … but there were the national guard guys who used to throw muddy stuff directly into the machines so had to watch out.

@Seawalker – Yes there was a club there … hmmm but don’t remember what the name wuz … *wink*

@seawalker, so that’s how you got rich, investments! My husband finally finished “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” but said he didn’t learn anything new. He’ll be starting on the sequel soon. I’ll have to wait until I retire to do heavy reading, too pooped after a hard day at work to read anything but romance novels 🙂

@seawalker, was the apt in Aiea called Kauhale? That’s the one I bought brand new.

Lucky you, we used to live on Kahala Heights for a couple of years. I loved not having the sun in my eyes going to and from work. But, my current husband sold THAT home to his ex. We could only afford a home in the West side of the island which is where we will probaby stay until forever. Our back yard now is a park so no neighbors in the back. So quiet unless my neighbor is yelling at her husband or son. Thank goodness her tirades are few and far between these days 🙂

Before I moved to my “castle” in Makiki, I actually owed an apartment in Aiea and a condo in Makakilo.

So what’s wrong with this picture? I was living at home, owed 2 places that I rented out, and then decided to live in a mouse hole in Makiki.

Well, 8 months of the concrete jungle, I bought a condo in Mililani Mauka. My memories of living in the country? Some moron stole my basketball high-tops I left outside my door. One time, a neighbor was fooling around with another neighbor. Both were married to someone else. That one was real pilau because the entire complex got a letter with a picture and address of the person they called a “$lut”. Even the mailman was having fun delivering the mail to our complex.

I used to drive a standard to and from work when I was living in Mililani Mauka. One car racked up 170k miles and the other car 155k miles. I don’t know what was worse, the constant clutching or squinting of my eyes to avoid the sun.

Then I decided to sell everything and move to the east side. Best decision yet. We have a home that we designed and live in a neighborhood that is very peaceful. We’ll probably stay until they put me out to the pasture. When I drive to and from work, the sun is never in my eyes!

@ct – I remember Watanabe store in Kalihi. Remember the original Club Rose nearby? LOL

@ct, yes, I remember the green houses, I lived in one of them. But, our landlord kept it freshly painted. I kept it real nice inside. I lived in the last one next to the lettuce farm, which is no longer there. I walked to the laundromat to do laundry. I felt quite safe there. I walked all over the neighborhood and that was when I was a perfect size “7” and nice looking. 🙂

@Cohiba, my house was on the corner of Carlos Long St and Gardenia, facing Gardenia St. We bought it from my then husband’s Aunt who was the original owner. Since I am a realtor, that was my first sale/commission.

81. C0hiba says:

@LINDA KATO, we call it Upper Palolo.
    Actually, one of my friends bought a renovated house on Gardenia. Back or mountain side new, front old but renovated. Up high with a very nice view.

82. ct says:

@Linda – Wow you’re right small world. I actually was born on Ahe St. in the housing then a lot years later moved to Kaau St. off 10th Ave. … but I used to go to lessons on Jasmine St. You used to live in a nice, peaceful place.

Now this jogs my memory … we used to jog around Palolo late at night until that guy got shot like 40 times at the housing because he charged the police with a scissors or something then all hell broke loose …

Hmmm … and Palolo field was where I stepped in a hole running for a fly ball playing softball which led to my second knee surgery … yikes … ouch. I guess Palolo wasn’t too good for me … but at least there was Boston’s pizza

83. ct says:

@Linda – Then you remember the green worn down houses there. Some with some weird purple paint … hahaha … but I guess we were about 10 years after you.

@COhiba – My roommate wuz one of those true fisherman … with live bait buckets running air for the weekend … he used to go Waianae side and slide live bait. So he got another dog … a Wiemaraner … and he got stolen at the Waianae boat harbor … but that dog wuz kind of dizzy … probably jus went with someone … maybe they thought he was black

@ct, I also owned a home on Gardenia St. for a few years in Palolo before I sold it due to divorce, too. Those were not happy days. 🙁

@ct, small world, I lived on Hone Lane in Kalihi for a couple of years from 1972-1974 when I first got married. We had a 2 bedroom green cottage. Our landlord owned all the houses on that lane. I caught the bus to UH from there. One day I took the car and parked in the quarry and forgot I took the car to school, caught the bus home, and hell if I had to catch the bus back to school again to pick up our car. I was young but forgetful! 😆

I walked to Kalakaua Intermediate from Hone Lane when I taught Algebra and basic math there for a semester.

86. C0hiba says:

@ct, Hone Lane sounds like my Cabebe apartment in Maui. I tell these stories to my daughter who stayed in nice dorm rooms and nice places after graduating and into the work force. She no can relate.

87. ct says:

That’s when my met my ex-wife … moved out to live together in bottom of a house on Prospect St. Large 1 bedroom on a steep driveway. Was really neat had one of those shower/deep bathtubs combo more like a furo bath … choice for relaxing after work.

Long story short … got married then bought our first townhouse in Haiku Point … brand new … wow was awesome … until the early 90’s business crash. We both had our own businesses … had 3 boys … got divorced … moved to Palolo … then ended up in few apartments in Makiki … the end … nah .. I guess kinda boring compared to you guys. Mostly kept to ourselves … yes there was some drama but hardly any unusual sounds except for some yelling and fights … oh well

88. ct says:

In fact someone stole the battery out of my car … a Dodge Swinger … the problem is … they didn’t bother to remove da cables … it was ripped out and the battery acid went over … sheeeshhhhh … of course that wuz before maintenance free kine batteries …

89. ct says:

The Hone Lane place wuz so tough that someone stole my roommates guard dog … a pit bull boxer … yikes

90. ct says:

Good evening MLCer!!!

A little late on this topic. Oh well here goes.

First pad … does Hale Wainani at UH count??? Since my family lived in Hawaii Kai … got one dorm room at the last minute for my Soph year. Got the handicap unit in the low buildings at Hale Wainani wuz almost brand new at the time. No wasn’t handicapped, maybe mentally, but I guess there were no handicapped applicants so we went score cuz the bathroom wuz huge. My roommates were 2 Chinese guys from Hong Kong into Christianity and a haole guy from Maui who taught he was casanova. Can’t tell you how many times I got locked out of my room. And how many times I got cornered as the Chinese guys wanted me to go to Bible study. We had those meaningful conversations … like if there is infinity … then is there a negative infinity … and by definition … would they even intersect??? huh??? One year of that and I was gone.

Moved to an “Animal” house on Metcalf with a buddy and his sister and his female cousin. Then we added another buddy. The girls each got a bedroom, and yes they had boyfriends. My buddy got a small den/bedroom and I got the laundry room with my other buddy. Wuz nuts cuz of the difference in our schedules … so people were drinking and partying it seems all the time. Da George’s gang would hang out … had to get outta there …

So … moved to a slum house on Hone Lane with a room mate … if you know where Watanabe Store was on King just below Farrington it was just behind it. Forgot about da store, Mr. Watanabe was really cool but unfortunately I think it’s now a Carquest.

@Rodney, it is your wedding anniversary today ❓

@ankles, thanks for all the photos, you folks are a close knit bunch. I like to see happy faces 🙂

92. C0hiba says:

@losthawaiian, I remember the guys at the Sheraton- Wesley (the fisherman) and Marty (accounting) from Kohala. Think Marty is back in Hilo. Alan the head bellman from Hilo (the gambler).
    Bartenders Peter, Brian, and … bolo head guy from Hilo, no can remember his name are still there. They went from Sheraton to Royal, to Outrigger to Marriott.

BOT-Moved out of Cabebe and into this 40 unit two story complex on Lower Main st. No can remember the name. Googled it but nothing came up. The owner was Yokoyama. He would monitor the electricity we used. If we had visitors stay over night, we had to pay extra, like $5 a night. So if the power usage was high, he would question us at end of month. Also would charge us $.50 to use his vacuum.
    But what’s funny is after moving out of there and living in other apartments, I really appreciated his efforts of keeping everything under control. Was pretty quite there too so I could also hear when people were having fun at night. The drive from Wailuku to the night clubs in Lahaina and Kaanapali was a killer tho.

93. Jollette says:

@Steve…Thanks for all the info you found about Roller Derby..don’t know if you went back. So I wanted to let you know here!! Aloha everyone..

@ kathi- sometimes I wonder how things would’ve turned out if I stayed my 2nd yr. in Minn, but the town was just too small for me, I am real city girl. But then I wouldn’t have met my husband here.

95. Ynaku says:

Rod, I get um. My daughter married in the family 😆 HI HO …..

96. Ynaku says:

@losthawaiian When I see him I’ll let him know. He get plenty rentals. Maybe rental to those college girls 😀 I think he still living up Waiakea side.

@Ankles, My son is in the Running Start program at UHH. But he also has a grant from another organization so he gets to go college during his Senior yr at HS. I hope he can pick up some scholarships. 🙂

Ha, ha. You guys get it?

Mahalo DIO!

98. David In Oregon says:

Happy Portagee Wedding Anniversary to Mistah and Misses Lee. 😉

99. David In Oregon says:

Good afternoon everyone. 😀

100. losthawaiian says:

@Ynaku If you run into Creighton, Tell him Brian says howzit! Old roomates with John and Charles. Does he still live in Waiakea Uka? He always looked like he was 15 years old.
    @COhiba I don’t remember the name of the family who developed the hotel and Waikoloa village but I remember them as being very down to earth and laid back.

101. uncle jimmy says:

@M..

dude, what’s this “we were all triathletes”???

you nevah said nah-timg about dat, brah..

eh, if it wuz me, M, i wud weah one t-shirt dat said..

You want to meet a triathlete? Shake my hand..

Hooo, don’t you get plenny chafe but from bikeen’ aftah salt watah swim? 😆

Hi Shauna 🙂 I’m waving

waver .. waiver..

Ynaku:

That’s why I stuck it out here all these years…tuition waver ❗

Have a great day everyone. Gotta get to work now. Busy busy today.

Oh wait, wrong blog.. 😉

Good Morning All.

Since we talking about working years. I finally made 10 in my current job. Annadah 15 to go before I can think of retiring. By then I going be your guys age…. 😯 Nah only kidding. no beat me up.

I started late with this job and it is the one I will retire with.

108. C0hiba says:

@losthawaiian, the funeral service that I just attended in Santa Barbara was for the developer of the Sheraton project. You probably know him and his family. Son is running the project now.

I’m only on my 28th year at work.

110. Ynaku says:

Come on sally take the plunge 😉 🙂 ❗ ❓ 😈 😳 :mrgreen: 😆

Ynaku: I still haven’t practiced my smileys and other things.

Goooood Morning MLCers!

Happy Shiny Anniversary Rod & AP! It’s getting better!

113. Ynaku says:

Eh you guys getting good with your smilies. No forget leave at least 2 spaces between smilies.

🙂 😛 😀 😆

114. Ynaku says:

Hey C0hiba and Losthawaiian, you guys went UH after I grad in ’77 from HCC Electronics.

I Know “C” we used to work together as an Operator. He retired for several years at a YOUNG age.

😆 :LOL:

115. Ynaku says:

Good Morning MLCers.

Hey LK and ankles…we all started work at 16. I’m in my 31st year too. January makes 32 years. No can retire yet cause Son HS senior next year and he like go college, SOOOOO gotta work cause da wife like retire before me. WWD!

@LINDA KATO–LOL seems like we all mostly “old” here. I’m not too far behind you . . . . 😉

@ankles, thanks for sharing, lots of great memories ❗ Gotta get ready for work now, 43 more work days “!” Whoo hoo “!” “smile”

Have a great day everyone “!” 🙂

…and here’s the latest…

Linda and new comers:

Here’s the first ever get together…

@Seawalker, I only stayed at this job a long time for all the benefits. I majored in Elementary Education and only student taught: kindergarten at Alvah Scott Elementary,4th grade reading at Kaiulani Elementary, 7th grade algebra at Kalakaua Intermediate and 9th grade basic math at Kalakaua Intermediate. In the early 70’s there was a teacher surplus and no jobs. I always wonder what it would have been like if I worked at a job I trained for in college. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. 🙂

@ankles,#82, you’re thinking of our 23 year old daughter who still looks 18. Those were the days….. 🙂

@ankles, #78, thanks for sharing the pictures. I recognize Rod of course, Aunty Paula and Sally. Some faces were at the Give2Live event but I don’t remember all of their names. What a nice bunch of people ❗ 🙂

Linda Kato:

They still card you when ordering a Mai Tai ❓
    😆

Good morning, MLCer’s ❗ 🙂

@ankles, you’re almost as young as I am 😆

Nice pictures @Ankles. I think I recognize one person I’ve known previously.

My only claim-to-fame for longevity is being a member of the same gym since 1982. For work, if I go all the way back to my paperboy days, then it would be 37 years. Only 24 years to go till retirement! By then, I’ll be so hardened that even dog poo baking in the sun would seem like mush to me. Hehehe

Whenever schools would put up banners, I used to think it was so insurmountable to having your 30th reunion, 35th, or to even celebrate everyone’s 50th birthday in Las Vegas. Not anymore, next year marks 30 years since graduation from h.s. The years go by so fast.

Linda Kato:

34 years of service !!! WOW! I’ll make 31 next month…started when I was 16 also 😆

Lots of new MLC faces on here…..here’s pics from one of our previous get togethers …. guess who is whom 🙂

Tuesday morning Blast From the Past

Scott McKenzie – San Francisco

130. kathi says:

For me, it would be Allison Hall at Northwestern University. I despised my first roommate and the feeling was entirely mutual. Regarding not only that roommate, but others on the floor, to this day I wonder how someone can be smart enough to get accepted to Northwestern yet uninformed enough that in the year 1976, they could still ask me whether we used American money in Hawaii, and whether my parents’ home had electricity (my family was mostly in the building trades so that question made me laugh out loud).

The first place I owned is the house I bought in 1989 and where I still live now. It’s almost paid off! In between the dorms and the house were four apartments, one in south Evanston, two in Rogers Park and one in Ravenswood.

sally mentioned something up there about the gene that some people have to be able to move far away on their own. For me, it was not all that easy to leave familiar surroundings and family and friends. And you do find out who your real friends are, sometimes not what you expect. But to me, it would have been much worse to never take that leap, and then wonder years later, maybe when it is too late, what life would have been like if I did try.

Good night MLCer’s ❗ 🙂 Sweet dreams ❗

@Rodney, Right ❗ That’s why you’ll be my BFF ❗ 🙂

@LK – You started working for the State at 16 years old? 😉

@4G, I am able to retire after 34 years of State Civil Service, translation, “I AM OLD” ❗ 🙂

@Aunty Paula, love the sound effects ❗ 😆

136. Aunty Paula says:

Kunawai Terrace wasn’t always quiet…the Kuakini Fire Station was almost right behind us, not to mention Kuakini Hospital nearby. woooOOOoooOOOooo!!!

Sorry–didn’t mean to be a conversation stopper–carry on . . . 😉

@Rod–LOL at “cats getting ready to fight” and “bedframe banging aginst the wall”!!!

BOT – When we were living at Kunawai Terrace, I remember one time that a couple even got married in the tranquil garden setting.

Well, like Mark’75 said. Kunawai Terrace is soooo quiet.

But it doesn’t have to be just at Kunawai Terrace. Where we live now, one early evening when I was outside, the house kiddie corner from our back has a small unit in the back that they rent out. At first, I thought the noise was some cats getting ready to fight. Then it became clear to me – maybe someone was watching “da kine” movies – until I could hear the bed frame banging against the wall. 😯

I remember we used to sneak into Kunawai Terrace to solicit newspaper subscriptions. Kunawai Terrace is 10 minutes walking distance from where I spent the first 16+ years of my life. I remember they used to have a small store across the street, next to the park. We always used to buy Icee from there. I had many childhood friends (and enemies) that lived on Kunawai Lane. Come to think of it, I even remember when they were building the place.

@Rod – The koi pond must have come after my friend’s family moved right before 9th grade. But it must have been the house you’re talking about. The narrow channel was straight, but the first house, the water veered right. Perfect for a koi pond. All I remember was that they used to grow a patch of watercress when we were there around the mid-70’s.

Guess so . . . . 😆

LOL is case-sensitive? Is that it? 😆

Dang, LK–I am sooo jealous–you being able to retire and all . . . . 😛 😆

🙂 🙂 🙂

Sounds like Kunawai Terrace was a HOT place to live. IYKWIM.

heh.

OT: 43 more work days and I’ll be RETIRED ❗ :SMILE: Whoo hoo ❗

@Rodney, yes, IYKWYM. I lived in a condo in Aiea with jealousy windows along the bedrooms. The next morning in the elevator, my neighbor/girlfriend would say, “Was you making all that noise last night” and I would say, “no, it was you!” 😆

😆 better 😉

and how does LOL work? 😆

Dang!–try again–

😉

Hey; I want a unit at Kunawai Terrace! :LOL: ; )

@Mark’75 – At Kunawai Terrace, the one bedroom units had the bedroom located right along the walkway facing the interior of the square. And there was a floor to ceiling jealousy window. So the sound from those units traveled. IYKWIM.

@Seawalker – When we first rented a unit at Kunawai Terrace, it actually faced the springs and the narrow channel. But we never threw water over our balcony. LOL

I remember that the run off from the springs was used to furnish water to a koi pond at one of the homes behind the springs. Did your buddie’s home have a koi pond?

Anyway, some bright parks worker decided to throw bleach into the springs the help control the moss. Yup, the neighbor’s koi got all sick. Poor things.

@Rod – Kunawai Terrace, eh? You remember the springs that flowed into the narrow channel. Well, the first house (right in the back of the terrace) was my good buddies house in the 70’s. We used to always go in the steam to catch crayfish and small fishes.

Now, there is a real feel good memory for me growing up. Before high school and the days of riding a bike to deliver papers.

But somehow, whenever we were wading in the stream, someone from Kunawai Terrace used to always throw water down at us from above. But we never knew who it was. Was that you, buster? LOL

Okay, den…my turn.

One-by-one, my brothers all started leaving for the mainland after college. I was blessed, as my parents allowed me to stay at home even when I was working full-time after college and still not married. Saved a lot of money in the process.

Then I decided to get a bachelor’s pad in Makiki near Punahou School. Talk about small, Gulliver and the Lilliputians would have adopted me as one of their own for living in such a small place.

The stove was at the foot of my queen size bed and my TV was not too far away from my headboard. And the living room, what living room? The a/c was loud and ran warm and my gay neighbors next to me smoked. But hey, it was my pad!

One night, as I was sound asleep, a metal pan that I washed for dinner and sitting in the dish rack, fell to the tile floor and scared the $hit out of me. If you’re familiar with the concrete jungle of Makiki, all the buildings are close together in order to maximize space. Close units means close bedrooms together, which means…ahem, bedroom noises!

I think I paid $600 plus $25 for parking. I used a fold out beach chair a sofa. I also caught the #4 bus to downtown for work. Loved it! But that was my first experience living on my own. Aside from staying in the hospital for a couple of occasions, life was great being the king in my own castle.

We got married 26 years ago and moved into an apartment in McCully. It was a small two bedroom apartment and the landlord didn’t allow kids. We didn’t have much money but the one thing we splurged on was a microwave oven. I remember after unpacking the microwave, I flipped over the box and it became a makeshift table. A couple years later we moved out when we decided to have kids and returned to Kapahulu. BTW the microwave still works great and we use it daily!

Talking about Kunawai Terrace, in the early-80’s, my sister-in-law lived there. We house sat when she and her husband went on a trip. That place is sooo quiet at night. Sometime in the middle of the night, a couple must have been having a “great” time, as a woman’s moaning and groaning echoed through the halls, waking us up. For a time, the moaning got louder and faster. Was so funny…

158. weke says:

Hello MLC, My pad was in mililani. I bought mine condo at 21 for 39. I was 6 step app. I sold my 69 camero for ice box, washer and dryer.

Amateurs. LOL

Ho, some stories! Only one I have was one night (or I should say early morning) when we lived at Kunawai Terrace, I guess a guy got pissed at his gf/wife going out too much so he took her key to get from the parking garage into the complex.

She was pounding on the door and crying saying “Let me in. Please. Let me inside”. I’m sure she was wasted.

Then someone yells out “SHUT UP!”.

@Sally, so much dramas ❗ Your pad wins the prize for dramas ❗

So many stories. Hope everyone lives in a SAFE neighborhood today.

Have a great evening everyone ❗ 🙂

@sally, I remember now, it was on Lakimau st.

163. losthawaiian says:

@C0hiba. I was there from 77′ till 80′. We probably know the same party animals,….students. I used to help out at CJ’s since C was my roommate and J was a next door friend. We would go to Ken’s as well as Mun Cheong Lau’s(sp.?) after wards. My friends dad bought him and his sister a house in Kurtistown to live in and I moved there for a year until I moved to Waikoloa to work at the new Sheraton hotel.I used to work with a lot of friends from Kawaihae, Waimea and Kohala. Good people, all of them.

visitor: I used to live in a condo behind Love’s Bakery too. That was when we used to come home from bowling around 1am and that was bread baking time.

Was really hard to sleep!

After my experience w/ my Drug Offending neighbor I asked my friend a lot of questions. He is retired HPD trainer for SWAT and it was pretty unnerving how they busted around the apt. I could hear stuff being overturned and tossed around and then when the one guy came out and looked at me (thru his masked face) and asked “you live here?” my face froze. I think my answer was “I dunno”. hahaha stoopid.

My other friend’s husband is SWAT and I was tempted to call out “eh ___, you in there?”

Now you guys know why I no need TV. Get plenny action as it is.

Interesting kine stories from everyone. Good topic Rod!

M: You lived off Kanaina St area behind the fire station. Fire Capt was KHS ’72, he has since retired a few yrs ago.

KAN: doesn’t matter to me what you studied, I just admire your ability to pick up and go.

ankles: I have my limits. LOLs

visitor: I told my landlady that us “good” tenants should be able to interview prospective new tenants, cuz we gotta live next to them. ha!

167. C0hiba says:

@losthawaiian, I used to visit friends at ASH housing in the late 70’s. Think was pretty new back then. Shared in the uh… tendencies also.
    Used to drive over from Kawaihae Village. Would go to Pali Room at night and finish at Ken’s or the late night chinese rest.

168. C0hiba says:

First pad was in Kawaihae Village. Was a two bedroom fully furnished place, but really didn’t count as getting it on my own as it came as a package with my first job out of college.
    My real adventure was when I moved from there to Maui. Where’ Bananafysh?
    Cabebe Apartments in Wailuku. Across a theater, think was King Theater. One bedroom, unfurnished, just a bed, stove and refrig. Green linolium, can feel the sugar cane dirt scratching under your feet when you walk. Sat on newspaper, used card board beer box as dinner table. My friend from Kaimuki High found me the place. Introduced me to my neighbor. Ex-con. On parole for man slaughter. He would pass by my window and say “howzit brag. anybody bother you, just let me know”.
    One morning I went to my car. He was jacking up his Rambler so I asked him if he needed help to repair the flat. He said, not flat. Someone stole his tire that night.
    Found out Mrs. Cabebe, the owner, found her husband in bed with another women. Shot them both. I think Banana confirmed that awhile back.
    So, tried to find another place, but back then, as for most of us, cash was very tight. Had to put down first month’s rent and deposit. So suffered through that a little while until I could afford a better place.

169. visitor says:

Just before I got married I found a 4 unit walk-up apartment in Kapahulu in the classifieds. It was a very congested location. The landlord was a strict man who “demanded” a face-to-face interview before he would consider renting the available one-bedroom apartment to me. He lived in a large unit on the property.

I met him at the apartment building. When I told him I could move in as soon as I got married and he found out what my job was, he quickly offered it to me.

We’d get the smell of the bread baking from Love’s Bakery. It was a nice convenient place.

170. Ynaku says:

No worries, I Mr. Spock em 😀

Beam me up Scotty! QUICK!!!!!!

171. David In Oregon says:

Ynaku: I know…I was just thinking, you don’t want to incur the Wrath of KAN. 😉

172. Ynaku says:

@DiO KAN is a wonderful person. She can take it as well as DISH it out. 😕

173. Diane Ako says:

First pad was at my Uncle’s house at 1741 Pali Highway (an early blog post of mine at Small Talk). One summer I came home from college and he gave me an empty apartment. I was 19. It was SUCH A BIG DEAL. I had a tour job and I got a fake ID so I could keep up with my coworkers. The tourism workers, they can really party. Now I think about those dingy walk up apartments and I laugh about how great I thought it was. I was so young and I was so thrilled to have my own apartment.

174. David In Oregon says:

Good afternoon everyone.

Ynaku: gutsy eh, saying that about KAN? 😆

@Ynaku: LOL! (actually SOL – “snort out loud.”) I’m too short and waaaaay too sassy to be one. But I LURVE their kimono.

176. Ynaku says:

@KAN Geisha?

Good Morning All.

My first place was a tiny one bedroom apt with my bro in Wahiawa. The room barely fit our two twin size beds. The closet was less than 5 feet wide. Single wall construction so you could hear the neighbors getting amorous…. 😯

One neighbor stole the safety sticker off my bro’s car. Another neighbor stole our mop off the front porch.

@ sally- what dramas!!
    My first place was a fully furnished one bedroom condo including electicity. I can’t believe I was paying $500. There was a pool and bbq place. Had to do laundry downstairs.

@Sally: I was studying a traditional art. I don’t wanna say which one; Hawai`i is a small place. 🙂

180. uncle jimmy says:

first place liven in HI almost 60 years ago was a quonset hut at KMCAS which it was known as then..

but after living in kailua, lankai, nuuanu, and koko head..

first real pad was a condo on the Ala Wai that i got a deal on in ’78 when my Mom was a real estate agent..

went and worked at UH those days, so a 10 minute commute, which was nice because i was always late..

bit no mo’ pahking but, so just pahked on red zone an’ ate da tickets..

181. JTB says:

First year college I went into University’s overflow housing (dorms were full up), which was an older apt complex. Placed with two upperclassmen strangers in 2br/1bath apt. These guys took it upon themselves to introduce me, a 17-yr old at the time, to what partying in college meant. I remember being wrapped up in my bedsheets one night and thrown into the pool for studying “too much.” Think “Animal House” on a smaller scale. And then there were the “dance parties” – that is one girl dancing on the table in the middle of our living room! Quite an eye-opening experience for a young pup like me! Btw, neither of those guys graduated.

I moved into the dorms the following semester and was teamed up with a momma’s boy whose vinyl record collection included Karen Carpenter and John Denver. That was a real mismatch. I think I scared him most of the time.

Next fall I found an apt just off campus. Was second floor of men’s clothing store on main street into university. Easy walk to campus. Entrance in alley behind store. Popular hamburger joint next door. Had 9-10 bars/clubs within walking distance, so no DUI concerns. Created rooftop garden with table/chairs for hanging out. Great location in the middle of all action. Still have fond memories of that place.

Lived in Japan for 1.5 years and also have fond memories of my apt located next to the Tsurumi River within 2 minutes walk to the nearest station. Another very convenient place.

I’ve lived in many places since then, but as it has been said, “home really is wherever your heart is.”

182. losthawaiian says:

My first time away from home was ASH student housing at UH-Hilo. What a great place to being on my own for the first time. I roomed with a friend from high school and a another guy. Pretty diverse people within the complex but I had a lot of good times. The first day I got there, the first thing I did was unpack and setup my stereo, get some beers and proceed to party until the next morning. It was a great way to introduce myself to my neighbors who had the same uh,… tendencies.

My third pad was in Hawaii Kai. A 3 bedroom 2 bath single story home. We added a second story and with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. 3500 square feet total. A fairly large house. After 11 yrs. I got divorce. My ex still lives in the home.

…more memories from the storage living….WGN (Cub’s baseball) was on HBO back then…on microwave frequency…no cable boxes back then.

My ex was a hygienist for a local dentist so she would come home for lunch…we’d sit in front of the tv watching “I Love Lucy” and “Andy Griffith” during her lunch hour.

One of the tenants stored all of his inner tubes during the winter. Once tubing season started he would examine them and repair any and then sell them to the Salt River tubers.

185. 91boz says:

The first time on my own for me was in my 2nd year at UH. My good friend and I shared a 2 bedroom apt across St Louis drive inn with 2 other people.
    I remember learning how to cook, wash and iron clothes. I also learned the hard way that you cannot wash whites and colors esp red together in hot water. All of my bvd’s came out with a reddish tint.

The cooking part was fine the only problem was washing the dishes. We once had more than one weeks worth of dirty dishes piled up in the sink real yucky with red and green mold! With no dishes and nothing to cook in, we just went across the street to buy dinner. Lucky for us one roommate who is the most organized person I know couldn’t stand it any longer and washed all the dishes. By the way that same person is now a state senator. We all learned from that experience and it never happened again.

..bought a REAL home after the mini-storage adventure…with a pool…and a 5 car garage ❗

I remember putting up one of those blowup pools on the roof of the storage office..you couldn’t see the roof due to the design..and hung out there during the HOT summer days….

This is what it sorta looks like…my my, the prices of the units have increased…a 5×5 was like $12 and a 10X20 was $75 back then… 😯

@sally, I can’t remember the street name but it was by that park behind the fire station.

My second pad was in Kapahulu too. My girl friend and I wanted more privacy so we moved and rented a second floor on a 2 story home. It was a 2 bedroom and a 1 bath and our back yard was Crane Park.

sally:

..I live viacriously thru people who do.

Do you feel the TOPLESS HEAT everyday that I enjoy ❓ 😆

When I first got married, we were living in a condo in the University area just below King Street. I was working at the University at the time, so I would walk to work.

I remember the Iwa evacuation, walking home and looking at the PARKING LOT that is supposed to be H-1 University overpass and thinking, “Thank God I am walking!”. LOL–of course, the rolling blackouts meant sometimes walking up and/or down 21 flights of stairs!

M: I lived up that area for a short while too. A little cottage up Noela St on Owena.

Ynaku: you like build me one house to live in? lol

After my druggie neighbor was hauled away I got new neighbors, a couple that fought a lot. The guy was very quiet and the girl was very vocal and had some choice language. They got kicked out.

The next tenant after that was another couple, same thing. WWD? The gal was psycho… seriously. with a capital PSY!!!! They fought constantly, she’d come walking outside in flannel pajamas *omg* and everyone wanted them out.

Last straw was when …again… landlord was away and they had a huge fight at 6am. Things were breaking, glass was shattered, swearing, yelling the whole nine yards. EVERYONE heard her.

I wondered if they had a gun, I stayed away from the windows.

When the landlady came back they got evicted and moved out. But not before she did a key job all the way around my brand new cherry used car (oxymoron?)

Psycho B.

Guud Morning MLCers!

My first pad was in Kapahulu near Kapiolani Park. A four bedroom house that I shared with 2 guys and my girl friend. We were all Triathletes so the location was perfect for our training. We did our running at the park, swimming at Kaimana beach and biking to Hawaii Kai and back.

193. Ynaku says:

After my daughter was born in 1983, we noticed that Mom and Dad’s plantation house was falling apart too. So I told them to swap houses. They take back the ones we fixed up and I would tear down the other old house and rebuild. They agreed.

I built a 2 story house. I took a package home and redesigned it to add a family room, bedroom and handicap bath in case I needed to take care of my parent (which I eventually did until they needed more help than we could supply).

Being living there since 1985. What about the old house? After mom died and Dad could care for himself, he went into a care home and my Daughter moved in. We renovated the house again by changing the roof, fixed the floor, drywalled the ceiling and walls and replaced the kitchen counter and cabinets. Changed out the old sash windows with newer double paned windows. We still need to paint the outside, but it’s livable.

So those are my 2 pads.

NaPueo: Real Bachelor Pad huh?

195. Ynaku says:

Whoa sally, drama…

I lived with my parents until I got married. While courting I was looking for a house. But being the only son, my dad offered me one of 2 houses, the one we were living in or the other across the street where the tended their garden and pig pen. I figure they would want that house so I chose the ones I was living in.

My wife and I later renovated that old plantation house. Changed out all the kitchen cabinets, carpeting, Walls….. Yes I said walls. One day as we were trying to change out a window in the kitchen we removed a piece of wood and being a single wall construction, all the wall slats started to fall off 😯 😯
    We replaced that wall with a double wall and added jalousie windows. Such adventures.

KAN: What did you do in Japan? I admire people who can up and move away somewhere by themselves. I just don’t have that gene in me. I live viacriously thru people who do.

The first place I lived after leaving home was a dorm in Kyoto. I had a 4 1/2 tatami mat room (about 10×10 feet) with a small shared closet, a dresser, a little make-up table and a kotatsu (the little table with a heater underneath it). I rolled out a futon every night. It was great.

After a year in Japan, I moved back home for a year. Then I lived in another dorm, this time in Seattle. I was 27 before I moved into a pad that wasn’t a dorm, an old good-sized studio apartment with a walk-in closet, an old wind-up phone (predates rotary dial phones) that didn’t work, and an old compartment that used to be used for delivery of coal and/or ice (compartment had 2 doors, one in the main hallway and one into my foyer). I lived there for about 5 years until Sweetie and I shacked up together. 🙂

My first “real” pad is where I live now since 2001. It’s the first time I ever lived anywhere on my own and it feels guuuud! Sure I’m always broke but I’m doing it alone and that’s what matters. My landlord is my friend’s mom upstairs, my friend and her husband live in the bldg next door, I have my own little back “yard” with my own laundry line… I love it!

The stories of my life here could fill a book. Some are too sadly personal and others are just well, … life’s a hoot!

When I first moved I became fast friends with my neighbor, a single guy who took it upon himself to watch over me and mine and make sure I was okay. We used to hang out outside after dinner talking stories we had a nice time.

Then, one evening, outside my kitchen window near where his front door is I heard “SEARCH WARRANT, OPEN UP!” repeatedly. At first I thought it was his friends getting stupid (my window was closed, I could’t see anything). My other neighbor came to my side window and told me to come outside.

Holy Moly it was an entire SWAT team, vests, masks, and all!

My friend’s mom was out of town, the SWAT Team trashed the place and left. I went in and everything was turned upside down. They already had him at FED complex and I was concerned about his bird and his fish. For the next few days I fed them and then, one morning, his brother showed up.

Apparently “M” (no,not our M) was trafficking Crystal Meth, he and his friends were arrested all in one place just moments before coming to our bldg.

That was the last I heard about him. So sad, he was a really good hearted person. Drugs does cr@ppy things to people.

199. NaPueo says:

4 guys in a in a 4 bedroom 2 bath in Hawaii Kai for 1 year. Fun times.

On a nicer note, we got to play with my other neighbor’s baby, I got to see my friend’s kids grow into toddlers, we shared cookies and goodies when we baked (prune mui was da best!) and had good memories. One of the gals still lives there!

Good Morning MLCers!

My first pad was when I was 21. Our bldg had a courtyard in the middle… not as elegant as Rod’s, but was still nice to look out into a garden thru the kitchen window.

Four of us classmates lived in the bldg and one gal’s place became the meeting place. Was fun!

Pizza Hut was soon built next door and the back parking lot became the place for people to go and fight at all hours of the night. We called HPD numerous times. So annoying.

Once, after my friend broke up w/ her psycho boyfriend, she had an “overnight guest” and the ex BF snuck into her apt by taking off the jalousies. Crash! Boom! Scream! Punch! (I swear I heard the guy’s jaw bus’). The guest ran down Waialae Ave toward Pizza Hut in nothing but his BVDs the bldg mgr came out and all kinds of noise out there, we all just stayed away from our windows cuz we didn’t know if there was a gun involved or what.

Ho da plenny action!

Monday morning Blast From the Past

The Youngbloods – Get Together / Sunlight

My mother made me leave home at age 18. She was a single mom with 3 children. My first studio apt was on Green Street. This was part of a huge home, made into several studio apts. I remember the huge 747 roaches, ugh ❗ Although I kept the apt spotless, the main house had a very old lady living there who didn’t spend time cleaning. I was working at the University of Hawaii’s Bookstore, taking a full load, 18 credits and living on my own. I had no life, work, study, work. I married the first person who asked me, 8 years older than I and 6 months later, a disaster….

Not a happy memory like your beautiful beginning Rod. And, you and Paula lived happily ever after….. I like YOUR STORY better ❗

Have a great day everyone ❗ 🙂

My first “pad” was in Chandler, AZ as it came with my job. I had gotten married and 3 months later moved here. It was a two bedroom/one bath condo with an office space and a 50 car garage. Also included was 300 storage units from 4×4 to 10×15 😉 Yeah, I was managing a self storage complex…one of two my FIL had in AZ. The office hours were Mon-Sat, 8am-5pm, the gates were open 8am-7pm 7 days a week. I did this for almost two years….the job was better suited for retirees. I got to know the owners of the Circle K next door as well as the ‘junk’ collector across the street as he picked through the storage units that were unpaid. There was a Chinese family also across the street that ran a supermarket..got to know them well too. I just drove through that area yesterday and it’s changed since I worked there…the market and the junk collector are gone, the Circle K has another name…but the Hispanics and Native Americans still hang around the place. I remember driving in from LAX and there was nothing but farmland…cotton for acres…and a resort golf course just down the street from the storage. It was owned by a Canadian family and got to know them well as every Sunday afternoon I’d be out there golfing, most free or Blackie (don’t know how he got that name as he is Hispanic), their club pro would join me.

Good morning MLCer’s ❗ 🙂