Teenage Heartthrobs

Last week on the news I saw all the people standing in line for tickets for some dude named Justin Bieber.  Who’s that I wondered.  So at our Friday Family dinner, I asked my 16 year old niece “You ever heard of Justin Bieber?”. She quickly replied “Oh Yes!  And I have tickets for his concert!”.

I thought that maybe at 16 years old, she’d be over the teenybopper stage, but it looks like she’s right at the pinnacle of it.

That got me thinking – Who was my teenage Heartthrob?

Wait.  Heartthrob isn’t the right word for us guys to use.
Fantasy?  No.
Hot Chick?  Uh-uh.
Babe?  Yeah, we’ll fly with Babe

So, who was my teenage Babe?

Well, when I was into J-Pop back in the day, I liked Asada Miyoko.  She was so “kawaii”.  And Megumi Asaoka.

Then there was Olivia Newton John.  I loved her sweet, country look and her wispy voice.  I tried to collect all her albums.

Remember Charlies Angels?  Everyone liked Farrah Fawcett, but me, I liked Kate Jackson.  Even from the days before Charlies Angels when she was the nurse in The Rookies.  She had a little Asian look to her.  Similar to I Dream of Jeannie.  But I wasn’t just hot for Asian looking Babes.  When Cheryl Ladd appeared on Charlies Angels, I thought she was hotter than Farrah Fawcett.

I could’ve sworn I had this poster up in my room.

Then there were the super-models: Cheryl Tiegs and Christie Brinkley.

Okay, that’s enough from me.  How about you guys?  Who were your Teenage Babes?

And you girls, who were your Teenage Heartthrobs? : Shaun or David Cassidy, Scott Baio, Donny Osmond, Peter Tork, Davy Jones?

***
Party Time: MLCer Ynaku will be coming to town for a short stint so we’re planning to pah-tay on Aug. 10th at the new Side Street Inn on da Strip.  We need 30 people to get the back room, so who’s in?  I say we get the 30 people easy.

***
And only 2 more weeks until the 70’s NCR VIII.  Check this out:

212 Responses to “Teenage Heartthrobs”

Good night MLCer’s ❗ Sweet dreams ❗ 🙂

@Dean, lucky you, got to meet some real movie stars ❗

3. Dean says:

BTW, I got to chat a little with “Elvira”, the mistress of the night…. without her makeup.

She kinda looks like Tina Louise (reddish hair) but not as Hollywood.

Fun personality. I should have taken a photo with her but professional journalistic ethics says I’m not supposed to do that.

4. Dean says:

Diana Rigg. AKA Emma Peel. The Avengers.

@gretch, #204, Hi again. I’ve met so many wonderful people on this blog! Rod’s friends are awesome! Some I’ve already met IRL at the Give2Live event! Once I retire, I’ll be able to join them at more events! Let us know your thoughts! Have a great week 🙂

@91boz, #184, I just listened to “My Dad” and “Johnny Angel” two great oldies but goodies. Thanks for sharing. This was the best music weekend ever ❗ 🙂

@91boz, #184, I don’t think you are my age…..you look at lot younger! I don’t hear you talking about retirement! I am looking forward to 9/30/10 ❗ Yes,I remember Shelly on the Donna Reed Show. Have a great week ❗ 🙂

8. gretch says:

@Linda Kato (#199) – Hi to you, too! Boy, this blog keeps you real busy, yeah! Nice and fun to read all the conversations you’re having! Keep it going!
    Hope all the MLCers are having a great late Sunday night!
    Have a great week!

@Rob@96744, thanks a million Rob ❗ 🙂

I’ll ask Rod to swing by for me when he has a chance.

Only 34 more work days then I’m retired ❗ Whoo hoo ❗ 🙂 🙂 🙂

10. Rob@96744 says:

Linda: Your discs are ready. And yes, Proud is on it…

@ankles, what in the world is “Alternative/EMO/Indie music” ❓

I sure had a delightful music weekend ❗ I am still playing “Cindy’s Birthday” and “Rumors”. Could you find his “Proud” recording also? Thanks a million ❗ 🙂

LK:

If you have anymore requests, we can do it again this weekend. Maybe I can convert you over to ALTERNATIVE/EMO/INDIE music 😆

@gretch, hi, nice to hear from you ❗

14. gretch says:

@KAN (#154) I, too, liked Parker Stevenson more than Shaun Cassidy! And Hissatsu Shigotonin (Assasins) was a cool & funny show!

Also always liked Chiba Shinichi (Sonny Chiba) and his protegee, Sanada Hiroyuki!

@Ankles, Good Morning Sunshine ❗ Thanks again for all the music this weekend ❗ 🙂

….for you MLCers who just got up….

Aqua – Good Morning Sunshine

@Rod, good afternoon ❗ Finally woke up, huh ❗ 😆

Good Morning! Good Afternoon, MLCers!

@Sally, sounds like Rod and Aunty Paula were the “party people” last night 😆

Don’t expect Rod & AP to be awake any time soon. Last night was the first time they stayed to close the place down. Paula got to sing more than just one song!

@Sally, the “party girl”, sounds like fun, have a great Sunday ❗ 🙂

Good Morning MLCers! Shaping up to be a gorgeous day!

LINDA KATO: It’s only 8:45 lol

*yawn* coffee and breakfast

Headed for Punaluu this afternoon for a party at somebody’s new beach house. yayyy! Get to take my favorite soon-to-be-5yr old little guy swimming.

M: Whaddya think my chances are of someone having an SUP board there?

@LK, guud morning! getting ready for church…

@M, good morning ❗ All the other MLCer’s are still asleep! Too much par tay at Hawaiian Brian’s last night ❗ 😆

Good morning MLCer’s ❗ Have a great Sunday ❗ 🙂

@Rob@96744 and @Sally, I saw John Rowles perform live at the Monarch Room and he kissed me after his performance. Whoo hoo ❗ 🙂

28. 91boz says:

@LK I think we about same age.

Remember Paul Peterson and Shelly Fabares from the Donna Reed show?

Whoo Hoo Rob@96744! Mahalo!

30. Rob@96744 says:

@Sally: Guess what? Found the John Rowles version of “Snows of Mauna Kea”. It’s on the original 45, so it’ll take me a couple of days to do it as i’m busy this weekend. But..I HAVE THE RECORD IN MY HAND!!!Soooo…be patient as good things come to those who wait.

Good night MLCer’s ❗

@Seawalker, sounds like a delicious dinner ❗ Hee Hing is always good ❗

I’m not going to Ynaku’s party too. Too stressful for me to go out on a work night. But, once I am retired, here I come world ❗ Have a great weekend, friend ❗ 🙂

@LK – Oh no, here I am. Just back from a family dinner at Hee Hing. My SIL and BIL went all out, a 10-course dinner and Happy Hearts Mochi to top it off. Burp! LOL

Been a little busy lately. But not too busy to read and lurk. Lots of memories from idols and heartthrobs of yesteryear. Even familiar with the genokai scene and Eye Ai magazine. Nowadays, I think Kim Kardashian has a lot of s@x appeal and Paris Hilton tickles my fancy with her pouty and smirky look.

Guess I’m a little bummed because I can’t make Ynaku’s SSG and Big VIII. But hey, the wife and kids give me a big kick in the you know where if I stay bummed. Have a terrific Sunday MLCers, and especially you LK!

@seawalker, where are you ❓ What are you up to this weekend ❓ No teenage heartthrob memories ❓

@91boz, if you remember Johnny Crawford, you must be near my age. You seemed to be a lot younger to me ❗

@ankles, thanks for the weekend dance music, makes me wanna join Sally, Rod and Aunty Paula at Hawaiian Brian’s tonight ❗ Maybe after I retire and am not so stressed ❗

Have a great weekend ❗ 🙂 🙂 🙂

…and now…

Venus – Shocking blue

LK:

Glad your weekend turned out great with “Johnny” ❗

Richard Gere….good choice…keep an eye out, he may show up at your front door…have your bags packed 🙂

I wanna sleep in tomorrow morning so…….Sabbath Blast From the Past…then

Venus – Shocking blue

Mariska looks so ….. mmmmm

@Sally, have fun with Rod and Aunty Paula tonight ❗ 🙂

If you guys need someplace fun to go… HB Lounge at Hawaiian Brians. H20 is playing and then… FREE karaoke til 2am!

Chee Huuuu!

Rod and Aunty Paula: see you soon.

Yah, all of you, Kenji Sawada. Wow, 91boz, that’s some plenny hair product he used. lol

Getting ready to head out for the night. Hope you all have a great Saturday night!!!

@Ankles, I’m in “Johnny Crawford” heaven this weekend thanks to you ❗ 🙂 Countless hours of bliss remembering way back when! Those were happy, happy times ❗ 🙂 Thanks a million ❗ 🙂

@Sally, #164 Finger 5, so cute! Thanks for sharing 🙂

44. kathi says:

Ohhh, the hot Japanese singers. I liked Saijo Hideki and Noguchi Goro.

45. Rob@96744 says:

Sally: $10 per pill co-pay? and you need 2? You just gave all of us Migraine…hehe..I think you were thinking of Kenji Sawada…

And who was that other Japanese heartthrob? Kenji something. A couple years ago he was one of the judges on Iron Chef.

k…. gotta go. Will check on all your stories this afternoon.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Rod: I, too, was waiting for someone to mention those Japanese heartthrobs. My BFF was all into them, I was like “meh”. But they had such an influence that even if I had no interest, I knew the names.

Like Finger Five. Those glasses were iconic!

@sally, thanks for the tips. Bet all of my headaches end on 9/30/10 ❗ Positive about THAT ❗ 🙂

Good Morning MLCers!

I’m in then out this morning… getting kidnapped by Suzi Q (lurkah) to go check out some new breakfast joint.

LINDA KATO: Migraines suck… I know. I take Zomig for mine, freaking expensive meds! $60 is my copay and can only get 6 tabs max per month. Thank goodness it usually takes only one or two tabs to get my head to where I can sleep. But the light sensitivity, nausea, neck tension… not fun.

You mentioned Excedrin Migraine. Check the ingredients. The only diff between that and regular aspirin is CAFFEINE! Drink a cup of coffee. Seriously, it usually does the trick unless you waited too long.

@ankles, #24, Richard Gere….. 🙂

@ct, thanks, already listened to them, very nice ❗ 🙂

52. ct says:

@Linda – Good morning. Posted a couple of tunes for your relaxation. Gotta run now. Hope you all have a good day.

@KAN, thanks for the advice. Am going to Longs Drugs after lunch today to find something for my headaches next week. As soon as I retire on 9/30/10 wanna bet I never get a headache again?! 🙂

54. ct says:

Or how about a more traditional one Lei Kukui by Raitea

55. ct says:

@KAN – You must’ve read my mind I was just going to post a Raiatea link but couldn’t decide what to post. First a simple newer one. Taking a Chance on Love …

ct: right on about Amy. Have you heard Keola and Raiatea’s latest? I love it.

@LK: sorry about your migraines – I get ’em too. One of my bosses recommended Naproxen Sodium, and they seem to help mine if I take the NS as soon as I start feeling symptoms.

@Masako: I liked the other half of the Hardy Boys, Parker Stevenson, better. Shaun Cassidy didn’t do much for me.

Two others I liked: Ike Eisenmann, from “Escape to Witch Mountain,” and Tom Keane, who had a tv show with his brother in the 70’s.

As I got older and watched more Japanese t.v., I became a fan of Mitamura Kunihiko and Murakami Hiroaki. I think both of them were on various seasons of “Hissatsu Shigotonin,” which was a ridiculous show, but fun.

@MaryC – Welcome to the poster status! We need more country in here. Plenty townies here… :mrgreen:
    Nah, its all good.

Tried to post yesterday, but kept getting the Blondie picture. Not a bad picture I might add.

59. ct says:

Good Morning MCLers!!!

@konaish – I was wondering when someone was going to mention Saijo Hideki and Go Hiromi and the Finger 5 … my ex was into them … good ones

60. konaish says:

My teen heart throbs were Davy Jones, Bobby Sherman and on KIKU Saijo Hideki and Go Hiromi.
    What was that show? Besto Sanju Kayokyoku or something like that?

Rodney, count me in for Aug 10th. Thanks!

Good morning MLCer’s ❗ 🙂 Have a great Saturday ❗ 🙂

@Rob@96744, Thank you ❗ 🙂

63. Rob@96744 says:

Linda: Like the record album cover says “Promotional Copy-Not For Sale”. No can charge $$$. Old School here. Give neighbors mango,lychee, avocado,etc…Nowadays, it’s “how much you like pay”? I’ll do it over the weekend…

@Rod, love those Sinatras. Forgot about them. Thanks for sharing. Couple more entries then I’ll go to sleep, promise! 🙂

Heck, might as well throw in Something Stupid:

@Rob@96744 – You’re right. Nancy Sinatra “You Only Live Twice” is sweet.

Nancy Sinatra’s Greatest Hits? 😉

@Rob@96744, Thanks. Yes, I know where you work, Rod told me. Tell Rod how much I owe you for the discs. I see him now and then IRL. 🙂

68. Rob@96744 says:

@Linda, I’ll make you the Johnny Crawford discs, and give them to Rodney when he visits my work place, or if you are in the Kalihi area, you can pick it up yourself. I work at TheBus facility at Middle Street…

@Rodney: Since you’re on the Nancy Sinatra/James Bond thing, listen to “You Only Live Twice”, one of her best!

Good night MLCer’s ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 🙂

@CT, 137, thank you for sharing. The video is beautiful and Amy Hanaialii is an awesome singer! You and Ankles are spoiling me! 🙂

71. ct says:

@Linda – I thought you may recognize the song because I think it was the theme in a Toyota commercial quite a while ago.

Well good nite all. Hope you have a great weekend!!!

@ct, thanks! I actually have the album Theme from a Summer Place by Percy Faith. Haven’t listened to it for decades since I don’t have a record player. Am holding onto my vinyl records rather than sell them to Jellies since our pal Rod said we would have a MLC garage sale someday…..

Thanks for sharing Copper Nickel. That’s Rod’s favorite group. This is the first I’ve heard of them. Don’t tell Rod, though….. 🙂

73. ct says:

@Linda – For relaxing you should listen to some Amy Hanaiali’i. Her ‘Aumakua CD is unreal but can’t find it on You Tube. Her voice is just awesome. So here’s her version of Have you ever seen the rain.

74. ct says:

@Linda – Yeah … yeah … rub it in. Nah … I’m happy for you just don’t overdo it. So how about some Copper Nickel – Come Run with Me

75. ct says:

@Linda – Poor ting … I also suffer from migraines, my doc refers to them as cluster headaches, but haven’t had one for quite a long time. Tylenol doesn’t work for me either, I normally take Anacin for regular headaches but no moa da good stuffs prescription right now. Oh well how about this for you, Theme from a Summer Place by Percy Faith

@ct, only 34 more work days and I’m outta there! Whoo hoo! 🙂 🙂 🙂

77. ct says:

@Rodney – Yeah … Are you ready boots … start walkin … hahaha

So if you list Nancy … then you gotta list Jane … Fonda as Barbarella that is.

Sound is spacey you may want to turn it off.

@ct, actually I had a horrible day at work with a splitting headache everyday this week due to the volume of work and not enough hours to do it all in. I’ve been surviving on tylenol which doesn’t work. Think I have to buy extra strength excedrin for migraines. Anyway, when I came home tonight I came straight to the blog to see if Ankles posted the music for me. Lo and behold, he did! Oh, happy me! I listened for 1 hour before my husband asked me if I wanted my dinner, in another minute…..listen some more…..and my headache went away. Music relaxes me…..and makes me happy! I used this on my kids too when they were grouchy. Go to your room and listen to some happy music….come out when you can be sociable! It worked! I had such a nice evening. Now to enter some contests. Last week I won a movie pass for 2 and $15.00 in Discover gift cards, $35.00 in prizes! Even small prizes are fun to receive. My daughter and her boyfriend used the movie passes and had a great time at the movies! I share my wins! 🙂

79. ct says:

Hi Linda – Yeah … ankles is one good DJ, that’s for sure. Glad you’re having a good day. For me the weird hours are getting to me. And Hey!!! … you making me jealous counting down the days … hahaha … I think I’m going to be working until age 70 ..

@ct, good evening! What a lovely music day ❗
    🙂 I must have listened to the music for over 2 hours! Thanks a bunch Ankles! 🙂

81. ct says:

Okay, howz about this one. Anyone remember Petticoat Junction???

82. ct says:

How about this one, Donna Douglas (aka Elly Mae Clampett of the Beverly Hillbillies)

83. ct says:

Good Evening MLCers!!

Did anyone mention another bond girl in Diamonds are Forever … Jill St. John

@lostinaustin – Halala! 😆

85. midori.mm says:

@LK and @Ankles: Thanks for the Johnny Crawford concert. I had all but forgotten his songs and listening to him this morning was soooo gooood. I just love Cindy’s Birthday. I can listen to it again and again and again. In fact, I’m going to listen to it again right now.

86. lostinaustin says:

andy gibb as a tween/teen. as i got older, ray liotta. i would have left my husband for him, lost in those dreamy blue eyes.

@Rod (#103)–guess it’s working . . . .

Never saw a prob, but I got on after sally . . . .

@DIO, thanks for explaining. I was wondering what “cow moosic” was but didn’t want to ask. I have to ask for a lot of explanations. I’m catching on….. 😆

89. David In Oregon says:

Linda: the joke is, ankles hates “cow moosic” (aka Country Music), so I was thinking, if he’s going to post “cow moosic,” then maybe I can request a few I’d like to hear (even if I already have the links). 😆

@4G, you are absolutely right ❗ 🙂

@LK–ankles seems to be the DJ ALL the time! 😉

@David in Oregon, good evening ❗ Isn’t Ankles the DJ of the evening ❗ 🙂

@Ankles, whenever I am NOT working I call it “HEAVEN ON EARTH”, the music tonight made it absolutely a heavenly evening, even my headache went away! Thanks a million 🙂 🙂 🙂

94. David In Oregon says:

ankles: cow moosic by request? 😆

95. David In Oregon says:

Gooooooood evening everybody. 😀

OMG, ankleBYTERS! Paper Roses . . . . *sigh*

TY! 🙂

4G:

Marie Osmond – good pick…she really was a looker back in the early 70’s…cow mooosic…

Paper Roses

@Ankles, thank you, I’m serious about the pick up at the airport. I retire on 9/30/10. As long as I’m not in Vegas or Omaha and am around to do the pick up ❗ 🙂

Thanks for the Gary Lewis & the Playboys Song, gonna listen right now! 🙂

For both you MLC guys and gals…

Olivia Newton John & Donny Osmond – You are the one I want

LK:

Glad you enjoyed the oldies..I never watched the Rifleman so Johnny is all new to me….personal taxi driver huh…that would save me on a rental car 😆

…now..

Gary Lewis & The Playboys – This Diamond Ring

…then..

Gary Lewis & The Playboys – This Diamond Ring

…and now..

Donny Osmond – Go Away Little Girl

Here’s Saturday Blast From the Past early…I plan to sleep in 🙂 ….here’s for all you young ladies out there…
    then..

Donny Osmond – Go Away Little Girl

Is it working okay now?

@Ankles, thanks again for a “Johnny Crawford” evening. I listened to Cindy’s Birthday, Rumors and all the others over and over again. O Happy Day ❗ Thank you.

If you have time, how about finding Gary Lewis and “This Diamond Ring”, I gave that album to my date, the one that took me to Jolly Rogers after the prom and his Dad thought I was “hinting” 😆 I just liked the music ❗

Guud evening MLCers!

108. Steve says:

@Sally #3 and #17: Besides Tiger Beat, the other magazine I remember was “16 Magazine”.

The Young Rascals were definitely very popular in the 1960’s. I think practically all of their concerts were sell outs. I found a couple of links for their “live” appearances during that time. The first one shows them doing “Mickey’s Monkey” and the other is “People Got To Be Free”. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv2fq_the-young-rascals-mickey-s-monkey_music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sastKEBZhXY&feature=related

109. visitor says:

@ sally – yes, happened to me

Was anyone else having a weird time logging on to comment? Everytime I clicked in the comment box, Blondie’s pic would come up.

So anywayz… Good Evening Hive!

Fun memories in this post Rod!

111. NaPueo says:

Not able to pah-tay on 8/10/10. Be sure everyone takes a couple of bites for me.

@Rob@96744, if you made me a CD of Johnny Crawford’s hits especially with “Cindy’s Birthday” I would be so grateful ❗ What nice people I have met on this blog ❗

Thanks Rodney for all the memories and for all the friendships on this blog ❗ Couldn’t do this without you ❗ 🙂

@ankles, you made my loooong week so much fun!!! I loved “Cindy’s Birthday” and all the other songs and videos. Thank you so much for making my day ❗ 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

If you are ever in Hawaii I will pick you up at the airport and be your free taxi! You made me so happy today ❗ Did I say thank you ❗ What a delightful way to end my work week, listening to my favorite teen throb sing ❗ 🙂

sally – #40 – Did I ever mention to you that Paula has/had Stevie Nick’s autograph? Yeah, she came to see the doctor that Paula worked at back when she was in town. Paula doesn’t know where it is, but then again she didn’t try looking for it.

@Mary C – Thanks for the nice words. If you’re in town on 8/10, come join us at the new Side Street Inn. Jaydee won’t be there though. He’s on the Big Island. Make that the Big, Big Island.

@ankles–Love the song. Didn’t even have to click the link to hear it in my head! 🙂

A little Blast From the Past drive home moooosic….

Bachman Turner Overdrive – Taking Care Of Business

And I’m out of here, heading home also…at least I didn’t have to work late tonight ❗

LOL, che 😉 I kinda like know, too! 😉

119. che says:

Please enlighten me. Who is Vickie Ng?

Less than an hour left before my weekend starts. It’s been a looong week.

volleymom2:

I remember him from the movie The Mechanic with Charles Bronson.

@MaryC–Oh, man . . . .

Hey, jaydee . . . . 🙂

@ RealOne- I liked Jan Michael Vincent, too. He also acted in a couple of disney flicks, then on that nighttime soap, and finally Air Wolf. He didnt do too well after all the fame and money.

124. MaryC says:

Thanks Rodney. I LOVE this blog although I’ve never posted. But I wanted to help jaydee find Vickie Ng again…. hah, hah! Yes, its the REAL Vickie Ng. I read his post, then shouted to her, “Hey Vickie, did you go to Radford”, then she ran over here to read it too!

Keep up the great blog. I love it and laugh so much while reading it as it brings back such memories. I’m in Hilo now like Ynaku, but grew up in Wahiawa, like Kage I think, and a few others.

125. 91boz says:

This was from the mid 70’s post UH but I remember my room mate Clifford had a big time crush on her.

Agnes Lum

Oops–not bass, cello! 😳 LOL!

@Rod–TY! 🙂

@Rod (#75)–good one. I kinda like that bass player. Oh, wait–this supposed to be about teenage time crushes. Nevermind! LOL.

@Mary C – Welcome to the MLC blog. Thee Vickie Ng from Radford?

Jaydee!

@visitor – I vaguely remember them. It’s hard to concentrate because when I read “Bond girls”, this is what comes to mind:

131. MaryC says:

Hey jaydee, Vickie Ng is sitting right behind me at work. Shall I give her a message?

My sister was all into Donny osmond. He entered a KPOI contest and got a piece of his bedsheet. Yuck, she treaured that little square piece of sheet, in fact she probably still has it.

132. Ocean Lover says:

Do you MLC’ers remember Julia Nickson? She’s the hapa girl that used to do the Liberty House commercials locally and then went on to star in RAMBO II? and married David Soul of “Starsky and Hutch” fame?

Her real first name is “Prunella”……..yet FAR from looking like a “prune”.

She was HOT back when……..

True story………..about her first name.

OL

133. visitor says:

@ Rodney – Do you remember Mie Hama and Aiko Wakabayashi, two of the first Asian “Bond girls?” Both were in You Only Live Twice.

My ex sent me a request to be her friend on FB. I don’t think so.

Thanks Rob@96744 – I’ve been looking for a clean copy of Loving and Free. Maybe next week. I’ll call you. Mahalo.

136. Rob@96744 says:

Rodney: I remember Kiki Dee w/ Elton. Someone asked me about a year or two ago for those LP’s to be on a CD. You can have a copy of those too, if you like. Got the Kokomo disc for you at work so swing by anytime.

M:

You and I both ❗

Sandra Bullock….loved her ever since Love Potion #9…and she is single 😆

138. snow says:

@volleymom2 – aigoo… “volleymom808” was another MLC moment! i think i need a nap! lol 😉

Back in the day, I used to subscribe to the Japanese version of Tiger Beat – Myojo magazine. Had to pick it up from Hakubundo in downtown.

@Ankles – I forgot about Susan Dey. Babe!

@sally – I remember the Elton John concert in the 70’s. Kiki Dee was the opening act.

She was know for I Got The Music In Me:

But I love her Loving and Free song:

141. snow says:

good morning MLCers! it’s friday!

@kathi – went to the bon jovi concert earlier this year (i think… i can’t even remember when it was?! lol. MLC moment!) and jon bon jovi still looks good!

@sally & volleymom808 – i remember that there was another magazine like tiger beat, though it wasn’t as good (so thin, sometimes!)… guess it may have been 16!? after thinking about tiger beat, i remembered that used to like the bay city rollers! lol… 🙄

142. che says:

Kage, Pat Benatar, good one.

Olivia Newton John

Anne and Nancy Wilson (Heart)

143. RealOne says:

I never kept posters or pics but thought Jan-Michael Vincent (actor) was cute. Focused on the real stuff, not celebrities.

Barbara Eden! I Dream of Jeannie…

@Rodney, need an option plan in case can’t get the 30 people to commit fo da pah-tay. Maybe Kaimuki Grill?

@Masako – I serve on a board with Shawn Ching and agree he is a nice guy. I half expected him to be stuck up because I met a few news people in the past and they were snooty. He blew me away with how nice and humble he is.

147. Rob@96744 says:

Masako: Are you my sister??????She also had it bad for Leif Garrett and later Rick Springfield. Couldn’t make up her mind, I guess..

These days my idol is Shawn Ching. Whenever M would see him on the news he would call me. I got to meet him a few times. Really nice guy.

I had it bad for Shaun Cassidy. I had all his albums, watched Hardy boys faithfully and would buy Tiger beat just for his pinups. I had them all over my walls.
    Hey this might be another MLC thing…..did anyone else use those clear report sheet thingys and electric tape to cover your folders so you could display the pictures you wanted? Well mine all had pictures of Shaun Cassidy.

150. Rob@96744 says:

@Volleymom: Kurt Russell was the young kid that kicked Elvis for $ in “It Happened at the World’s Fair”. Also later played elvis in a movie too.

I liked Donny Osmond too but I wasnt really ga-ga over him as much as I liked Brady Bunch Barry Williams and actor Kurt Russell. Russell was a Disney star. Still like him today.
    @ sally- we must’ve been there at the same time, I love John Denver. Went to that concert!! Wonderful. Also, the Young Rascals was my first concert ever, I must’ve been about 10 or 11 at the time. One of my cousins really liked them and has lots of pictures of the group cuz her mom used to work in a photo studiio and would make her the doubles. Who did you like of the Rascals? I liked the drummer, Dino Danielli.
    @snow- I used to always buy Tiger Beat magazine, too. Remember “16” magazine? They were only 25 cents back in the day, then went to 35 cents, and jumped to 50 cents. Today- IDK. Do those mags even exist now? lol.

Hi Rodney – You counted me in for the 8/10 party? Just a reminder. I know how our short term memory fails us as we age…. 😉

153. Rob@96744 says:

Linda Kato: Forgot to mention that if you remember Johnny Crawford, you might also remember Bobby Curtola, who was his equivalent in Canada. Both teenage hearthrobs from that time, along with Ricky Nelson, Elvis, Bobby Rydell, Fabian…I like music more from that era than that of my own, I like the pre-British invasion stuff, early 1964 and below, as my dad used to play that stuff, mostly doo wop and early rock and roll…

Good Morning All!

Valerie Bertenelli for sure. Even today she is still hot.

Pat Benatar was another one.
    Maryann vs Ginger – Maryann wins.
    Kate Jackson 🙂
    Grace Park – on the new Hawaii Five-o.

155. Rob@96744 says:

@Linda Kato#21; You may find this hard to believe, but even though I was around 6 or 7 when Johnny Crawford was popular, I remember him well. Always liked him too. Rumours, Cindy’s Birthday, etc. He was in an episode of Hawaii Five-O as well. If you want, I can make a CD of his music, (the first album too) if you like. Just ask Rodney for my # and he’ll give it to you.

Sally: Saw Elton John from the front row 3 times in the ’70s, he was in his prime…

I always liked Sandra Bullock.

@sally–Oh, yeah, Stevie Nicks–she does rock! 😉 Thanks for the link!

158. jaydee says:

Marsha Brady! Hah! I used to lust after her, ok TMI.

Ok, her and a girl that went to Radford, Vickie Ng. I ownder what heppened to her….

@sally, you sound like Stevie Nicks. 🙂

4G: Stevie Nicks absolutely rocks! Just ask anyone who goes karaoke with me. LOL

My other friend and I went to a John Denver concert at H.I.C. and discovered he was pretty HOT! Boy was he taller than we expected and I still love his songs till today.

Gone too soon.

kathi: Re Elton John concerts: My best friend in high school and I went to every concert at H.I.C. The 2nd concert she we had seats in the upper level a little off to the side of the stage where his piano was, which meant we were kinda behind him.

She was soooo disappointed to discover his balding head. lol

As for the Charlie’s Angel debate–Jaclyn Smith.

I agree with Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon).

@che (#27)–I second Valerie Bertinelli.

For Gilligan’s Island–Tina Louise (Ginger).

Is it just me, or do the lists seemed heavily weighted with singers for the gals and not so much for the guys?

Cher
    Marie Osmond
    Stevie Nicks

The Today Show – with the Rifleman’s Johnny Crawford

Any Playboy Playmates. hehehehe

Rodney you know Masako and I are in.

166. kathi says:

che finally mentioned Valerie Bertinelli. I was going to mention her, and Maren Jensen (from the original Battlestar Galactica) as two of the “babes” that my brother and male friends liked.

Johnny Crawford – The Girl Next Door

Johnny Crawford – Sandy

Johnny Crawford – Rumors

170. kathi says:

Back then: David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Rick Springfield. Harrison Ford when American Graffiti came out, and ever after. Heh, that’s more than I thought. snow mentioned Jon Bon Jovi… oh, yeahhhh. Hot then, for sure. He’s here in Chicago for concerts this weekend, saw him do an interview on the news last night… still hot now. When he hosted Saturday Night Live a couple of years ago and played his 80s self in a skit, I remember my husband and I talking about that Jon Bon Jovi is one of the few rock stars that could actually play his 20-years-ago self without looking like a major idiot.

sally mentioned Elton John… not a heartthrob but totally cool. I saw him in 1973 in Honolulu which would have been the “Yellow Brick Road” tour, and then again in 1979 in Chicago, which was the tour with just him and Ray Cooper. Unfortunately I missed him with Billy Joel at Wrigley Field last year. I heard it was a great show.

I totally don’t get the appeal of Justin Bieber, and I couldn’t tell you even one song that he does. It’s been a long time since I’ve been 14, I guess!! My own inner 14-year-old likes Ben McKenzie (Ben Sherman on SouthLAnd and Ryan Atwood on The O.C.) and Jonathan Groff (Jesse St. James on Glee).

Johnny Crawford – Cindy’s Birthday

172. che says:

Cheryl Ladd
    Valerie Bertinelli

@Ankles, you know how to look up music on youtube and post it. Do me a favor and post Johnny Crawford’s music for me. Thanks ❗ 🙂 Will check back after work today. Have a great day ❗ 🙂

LK:

Who ❓

Who would your free pass be if she/he showed up at your front door ❓

oops, #21, Meant to state he “starred” not “started” in the TV series…..haven’t had my coffee yet 😆

Good morning MLCer’s ❗ Have a great Friday ❗ It’s NOT a furlough Friday for us ❗ 🙂

My teenage heartthrob was “Johnny Crawford”. He started in the TV series “The Rifleman”. I thought he was cute ❗ My Mom bought his first record album for me. I must have overplayed that record album because I don’t have it anymore. All you young ones are going to say “who?” 😆 🙂

I had a friend who (in high school) thought Joey Heatherton was the sexiest thing on the planet. We still tease him about it till today. LOL

180. matt says:

I’m a little bit older than her (a year or two…not so much that it’s creepy), so I kinda followed Alyssa Milano. always had a thing for her.

I couldn’t (more like didn’t even bother to) tell this same kid that I went to every single Young Rascals concert. He would’ve been like.. “who?”

snow: Tiger Beat magazine was great! There was another one too, can’t remember the name.

Rob@96744: When Elton John came for his concert about 10 or so yrs ago, I mentioned to one of my patients that I went to every one of his concerts when I was in high school. This brat (LOL) asked me “wow, he’s been around that long?”.

ct:

Maryam d’Abo – The Living Daylights
    Sophie Marceau – The World is not enough

184. ct says:

@ankle – Good list. Maybe some of the earlier Bond girls could be added to the list.

#13- Must be tired meant to say Jaclyn Smith not Kate.

Should get a little rest before going back to work. Have a good Friday MLCers.

Female heartthrobs of the 70’s…

1) Jaclyn Smith – Charlies Angels

5) Phoebe Cates – Fast times at Ridgemont High, Gremlins
    6) Morgan Fairchild – TV series
    7) Kelly LeBrock – Weird Science, Hard to Kill
    8) Heather Locklear – TJ Hooker
    9) Lindsay Wagner – Bionic Woman

186. ct says:

I don’t know if I was really into any heartthrobs but certainly my female friends were definitely into Bobby Sherman and David Cassidy. As for our gang, we weren’t into Farrah, I concur, we were more into Kate Jackson. But when Cheryl Ladd came onto the scene we were all more into her and one of my good friends was a little infatuated with her. In fact, when they came to Hawaii to film a few episodes, we tried to get a sneak peek when they were filming in Kahala. Of course as mentioned earlier there was agent 99, Barbara Feldon and I Dream of Jeannie, Barbara Eden. But that brings up the debate between Mary Ann and Ginger and most of us were on the Mary Ann side.

..and now..

REO Speedwagon – Can’t fight this feeling

Telecommute day….then, live at Live Aid..

REO Speedwagon – Can’t Fight This Feeling

189. snow says:

leif garrett, david cassidy, shaun cassidy, jon bon jovi (he was a little later!)… woo hoo! tiger beat magazine was the bomb! i couldn’t wait until the next issue!

too bad some teenage heart throbs can’t handle the afterlife… get into trouble, land themselves in jail… aigoo! guess life is hard to handle after the adoration ends… 😕

190. Rob@96744 says:

Rod: Didn’t know who Justin Bieber was either. Or Asada Miyoko and Megumi Asaoka for that matter..Can’t know everything. Recently a co-worker asked me what kind of music I like, and I told him Tower of Power. He said “Tower of What”? i also told him I liked the Stylistics and he looked at me kinda funny and said that he never heard of them either. WOW, I REALLY FELT OLD. Back on topic, I remember laughing at the girls going bonkers over Donny Osmond and David Cassidy, and guys liked Farrah. Never got into the media hype of those, I kinda liked ordinary people…(like us MCL’ers)

191. Newman says:

I cut out some cave man bikini pictures of Raquel Welch and kept them in my desk drawer at say age 10, 11, or 12. Mom found them one day and laughed but I denied that I kept them for other than cave man clothing purposes. Under pressure, I came up with the stooopidest things. Make A big time.

192. Brother Love says:

I don’t care who they put up these days they got no talent. The days of legendary music talent has died a while back imo. We enjoy the legends around still because when they are gone that will be the end. It is the same for every type of music imo.
    Back in the day, I had a crush on suzanne sommers, cyndi lauper.

I thought Agent 99 was pretty hot too.

194. David In Oregon says:

Rod: Funny you should mention Charlie’s Angels. I still have my Charlie’s Angels trading cards from when I was a little kid. If I had to choose one, I’d say Jaclyn Smith. 😀

You listened to him sing? BUSTED!

Maybe they can hire EMKE as the opening act!

I don’t think I had a “heart throb” but we did really like certain groups. I went to every single Young Rascals concert!

I must say I never had a poster of anyone. I only remember a really cool black light poster my brother had. Very Hendrix-y.

And Rod, that Bieber boy… seriously? On gust of wind and there goes his image. Heaven forbid he perspires. And bruddah can’t sing a lick! Hey… WE could be up there making all that money!

197. David In Oregon says: