MLC Friday5 – Nightclubs

Let’s wrap up this week of nightclubbing leading up to the 70’s Nightclub Reunion VIII – happening this Saturday at the Ala Moana Hotel with Greenwood, Asian Blend, Glass Candle, Power Point, and Golden Throat featuring Nohelani Cypriano – with an MLC Friday 5.

Cut and paste the questions of just answer them by number.

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)?
  2. What was your drink of choice?
  3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower?
  4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?
  5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs?

Here’s my replies:

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)?
    When I first started hitting the nightclubs, Hula Hut was the place to be.  That was back in ’76.
    Then later  in the early 80’s – when I was without a girlfriend – it was La Mancha for the punk rock hour then on to The Point After to close the night.
  2. What was your drink of choice?
    I wasn’t much of a drinker so Vodka Gimlets was my drink of choice.  Shot drinks were Slammers.  I remember one of the first times we went to Hula Hut, one of my friends ordered a Blue Hawaii.  He gets this huge glass with a wedge of pineapple and paper umbrella in it.  Ho, make A.
  3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower?
    In the beginning, I was a wallflower.  Just scoping out the scenery.  But later when we got to know a big bunch of people at The Point, I blossomed into a dancer.  I think it had to do with the fact that we mostly asked our friends to dance and they always said “sure!”.  No like when we were noobs and had to chance ‘um walking up to some table of girls we didn’t know only to be told “No thanks, I resting”.  And enduring the walk of shame heading back to razzs from our friends.
  4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?
    We usually went with either 2 or 3 of us.  Maybe 4 at the most.  For some reason, it seemed like the girls liked to go in big groups – like 6 or 8 of them.
  5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs?
    Saturday night.  Once in awhile we’d hit the clubs on a Friday night, but Saturday night was when it was happening.  I remember some of the regulars liked to go on Thursday nights to avoid the crowds.  Don’t know how they woke up for work/school on Friday mornings.  Didn’t some clubs even have “Ladies Night” like on Tuesday nights?

Okay, now it’s your turn.  And don’t hesitate to leave additional comments.  Maybe a story or two of a “good” night at the nightclub, IYKWIM 😉  Or something funny that you might remember.

And if you’re not doing anything on Saturday night – join us at the 70’s Nightclub Reunion VIII.  I’ll be at table 10 so stop by and say Hi.

* If you want a sneak preview, Glass Candle will be playing on Friday night at Gordon Biersch.

147 Responses to “MLC Friday5 – Nightclubs”

1. Mike in Waipio says:

@wonderland808 (#39): Yeah, someone came up with the name DynoMike; and with my friend Clay (“Mr. Melody”), we ran a mobile disco operation for 25 years (way past the Disco Era). So, who’s your Dad?
    @4G (#92) and Rob@96744 (#93): I also have Linda Green on vinyl and have yet to transfer to MP3; but several years ago, I found “My Little Japanese Boy” on CD in volume II of a series of collections of songs by local artists. I’ll have to dig up the CD to get more detail on it.

2. Mitsi says:

Hey Rodney, ittle late in posting this, but hubby and I had a great time at the dance Saturday! It was real nice getting to meet some of the MLC people, and I really enjoyed talking to Paula, she’s great – you’re a lucky guy. Kind of vegged out yesterday, hadn’t had that much exercise in a long time. Thanks for letting us hang out with you and the gang!

@sally, ok, you can be FIRST ❗ I’m going to sleep.

Good night MLCers ❗ Sweet dreams ❗ 🙂

@sally, why ❓ Want to be first ❓ I was first twice this week ❗ 🙂

Rod: chop chop! LOL

@Rob@96744, you’re absolutely right on all counts. Said my prayers tonight to help me through 28 more loooong days ❗ I need divine intervention ❗ 🙁

Every other aspect of my life is just PERFECT ❗ 🙂

7. Rob@96744 says:

Hey Linda, you’re so lucky. always winning something. even at scratchers. NOT so lucky with BOSSES tho..lol soon to be LOL when you RETIRE in a few days…few days for us,not you as it’s probably goin’ by REAL SLOW for you…like the freeway in the afternoon…

Oops, #138, make that 5/1994 in Oregon ❗

Hi Rod, yes, we always wonder what topic you plan for us on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday. What will Rod think of next ❓

@DiO, yes, I know. When I went to my daughter’s graduation from Lewis & Clark College in 5/1984, I found the weather quite comfortable, even on their hot days. I loved playing lottery there. I won $100 on a $1.00 scratch card ❗

Good evening LK and everyone else! It’s past 10:30 and I didn’t even start writing my blog entry for tomorrow. I’d better get crackin’ on it.

12. David In Oregon says:

Linda: at least it isn’t as humid here as compared to Hawaii, so the high temperatures don’t have such a brutal effect, like they would if it was Hawaii, or Texas.

@DiO, 96 degrees, sounds like you’re nearing Vegas weather ❗ Getting closer to 100 ❗

If it gets that high here I would definitely turn on my Central A/C ❗

Last month my electric bill was only $114.00, not bad with our daughter staying with us for 5 weeks running her A/C at 60 degrees night and day ❗

14. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Not this week. Monday’s high is supposed to be in the 90’s. Today’s high was 96. Contrast that to next Sunday, where the high will only be 69. That’s quite a noticeable difference.

Good evening, Rod ❗

@DiO, me too ❗ Isn’t it cooler in Oregon ❓

@Rob@96744 – Thanks for coming out to party with us last night and meeting Paula and everyone else. It was nice to have time to talk story, listen to the live music, and meet a lot of our friends. It was great that we saw Kevin Z. too!

Also, mahalo to opso, sally, snow & hubby, and mitzi & hubby for coming out to enjoy the night with us. And all the others that joined us last night.

18. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everyone!! Boy I will be glad when this heatwave ends. 🙁

Good evening MLCers ❗

@Rob@96744, sound like you had fun last night ❗ 🙂

@M, good evening ❗

Guud evening MLCers!

21. Rob@96744 says:

Rodney: Thanks again for a GREAT evening. Was really nice to meet Paula for the first time IRL, she’s everything everyone has already said here and more..I’ll find a show that you’re interested and this time you will be my guest.
    Sally: Yup, you are the party animal that everyone says you are. Got to witness it myself. your feet must be REALLY sore today..
    Opso: Hey, it was really great meeting you IRL. Thanks for putting up with Alvin, he can get rowdy sometimes after a few adult beverages..

Oops typo, “harding” should read “hard” to hear the words…..

@Ankles, #123 I enjoyed watching your son, Neal play hockey. The song “Times of your life” is nice ❗ Kryptonite was harding to hear the words with all the background talking but was nice music ❗ It was really nice you were able to go to all of your son’s hockey games. My daughter complained that I missed too many of her soccer and basketball games and her classmates thought her father was a single Dad since I was always working. I did go to 2 soccer games and made the snacks.

My biggest regret with my children was putting my jobs first before my health and my family. I am there for our daughter now while she is in college and won’t miss any more of the major events in her life because I’ll soon be retired. Yes, they grow up too fast and we need to enjoy them along the way. Life is too short ❗

@ankles, #122, Wow, awesome ❗ You’re going to be a grandpa soon ❗ 🙂

Our kids grow up so fast…before you know it they have graduated, married and starting their own lives ❗ I need to finish off my daughter’s from birth to mom video soon ❗

Here’s an appropriate Blast From the Past and LK‘s moooosic lesson for today (second song off the video)…like ❓

Saw my grandson for the first time in 4D fetal ultrasound imaging today…..WOW ❗ I could see him moving around, opening his eyes, scratching his butt, 🙂 … just having the time of his life in his mom’s womb 😆

O Happy Day ❗ Heard from our son Kevin, U S Navy training in Virginia for 5 weeks learning computer construction today. Soon after our daughter Lynne called from Omaha to check in. Then our son, David from Ewa dropped by to pick up his mail. We love it when our children check in with us now and then ❗ What a perfect day ❗ 🙂

Hope everyone is having a restful Sunday ❗

Happy Sunday, MLCers! What a night! Groovin’ to the 70’s music. Whew!

Good afternoon, Sally, glad to hear you folks had fun last night ❗ 🙂

Rod, hope you and Paula had fun too ❗ 🙂

Good Morning MLCers!

(‘morning LINDA KATO!) : )

What a blast last night, too much fun! @RealOne: you going get lickin’s if my legs don’t work tomorrow after that Proud Mary dance lesson! How was slumber party?

Yes, DiO… cuz I know you’re wondering… I beat the newspaper home. Actually got home early, before 2am I think. Bocha’d, FB’d, then slept till my eyeballs opened at 10:15. Yes, THAT’s the way to sleep.

Everyone must have had fun at the party last night, no one is up yet ❗ 🙂

Good morning MLCer’s ❗ Have a great Sunday ❗ 🙂

Good night MLCer’s ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 🙂

34. David In Oregon says:

M: Yeah, I keep meaning to do that; however, I need to backup all my stuff (bookmarks, data, pictures, etc.) first. With my luck, I’d end up with SP3, and absolutely nothing else.

@DIO & @M, good evening PC people ❗ I’m just happy I have computer access again ❗ I do all my banking online so can’t live without a computer. If it does that, let’s me check my email, and say hello on this blog, I’m happy ❗

Hope you two are having a nice evening ❗

I’ve been watching movies tonight ❗

@DiO, you should download SP3.

37. David In Oregon says:

M: Yeah, I’d have to check the specs on my machine. I’m currently running Win XP SP2.

@DiO, if you have only a 32bit windows OS, you can only go up to 3 gig max of ram.

39. David In Oregon says:

M: 8 Gigs? Sheesh, all I got is 1 Gig. I guess it is time to upgrade. 😆

40. David In Oregon says:

Gooooood evening MLCers.

@M, good evening ❗ Don’t know what you are talking about but sounds GOOD ❗ 🙂

Guud evening MLCers!

Installed windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my computer last night and been downloading programs most of the day. I really like it and it’s so fast with 8 gigs of ram. 🙂

@ankles, thanks for the music ❗ 🙂

How did your luncheon go ❓

MLC 70’s Blast to the Past…start off with this..

Bruce Springsteen – Born To Run

The rest of us will celebrate on our own here…..have fun tonight…

Getting ready for tonight since we’re leaving early to meet w/ the gang. I just came back from Ala’s (picked up my daughter from work) and remembered why I don’t go shopping on Saturdays.

I’m having a good hair day, that means…
    “I got a feeling. whoo hoo That tonight’s gonna be a good good night”

hahaha

When I got my first Mac (used, from a friend), “Dean” taught me to upload vids. I just got the hang of it and that ‘puter went kablooey. It’s been so long that I forgot how.

But with this new Mac I signed up for One to One w/ Apple, I can go to the store for lessons on anything and everything. I must discipline myself to set up sessions with them.

If you’re on FB, then it’s quite obvious I know how to upload pics. LOL!

seawalker:

Google for “Video DownloadHelper” – it’s an add-on for the Firefox browser.

49. Rob@96744 says:

I’ll chat with Rodney on the best way to do it. Remember, since i’m NOT a video or tech guy, it’s gonna be STRICTLY AUDIO, i’ll at least use a picture while the music is playing to keep you occupied, probably of the vinyl record…So guys and gals, stay tuned. Same Bat time, Same Bat Channel…(Gotta go dig out files)

Rob@96744:

GO for it…. ❗

@Rob@96744 (#93) – TY!

@Seawalker – I don’t know for sure, but it sure seems like you oughta be able to download:

@Rob@96744 – Music is what makes me happy (other than food). What ever you want to share, it’s a treat. Just your kind gesture is enough to say mahalos, Bruddah! I’ll continue to share my off-the-wall stories. Just remember, they’re all true!

***

Okay, somebody’s gotta edumacate me here on downloading or copying. I’m on the computer 3/4 of the work day. But yet, when it comes to certain things, I’m a complete Moose. Duuuhhhh! Is any of the music copyable so I can listen to it in my car?

Now, I have a CD burner on my computer. Can I use Windows Media Player to copy it onto a CD? Only recently someone at work showed me how to “rip” and “copy”. Or do I need to get an MP3 or some kind of plug-in to the USB?

@Rob@96744, as sally said, would be awesome if YOU posted some songs. We would love it ❗ 🙂 Thanks for sharing your talent with us ❗ 🙂

55. Rob@96744 says:

Sally: Ankles and I are different…He probably is aboard the “Peace Train”, and it’s “Summer” and I happen to like “War”…hehe

4G: All DJ’s take requests…Kinda strange that when I left this blog I copied a few discs that I was gonna give to Rodney tonight and while I was doing that, “My Little Japanese Boy” by Linda Green and the Tempos was playing. Since you are the first to ask, and I always believe in “first come, first served”, Linda Green will be the first…

@Rob@96744 – are you kidding me? That would be awesome! 🙂 Are you gonna take requests, too? LOL. If so, at some point, I hope you have a copy and can get around to posting “My Little Japanese Boy”!

Thanks in advance! 😉

Ohayo Gozaimasu Minaasan!

ha, don’t be impressed, that’s about the extent of 9 yrs of my parents Japanese School tuition. Lose money eh?

Rob@96744: ankles is da coolest guy you’ll ever meet, he’s a peace lover. lol And, if he finds something on your list he likes, you guys can share. No problemo.

Go post ‘um, go, go do ‘um, go. I like hear.

58. Rob@96744 says:

Hey fellow MCL’ers, the other post with the songs got me thinking…I know that Ankles it the official DJ here, and don’t wanna step on his toes but I was thinking about thinking about uploading one song a post, (audio only)no video because i’m not a tech expert with video’s, onto you tube then posting the link here about “local hits” which might not be national billboard top 40 but were popular here in hawaii eg: Diamond Head-If That’s The Way you Want It, Jose Feliciano-Life Is That Way, El Chicano-Cubano Chant, etc. What do you guys think? Is it something you’d be interested in? I have these songs scratch-free in good quality sound cleaned with professional software…

59. Yoshi says:

gotta run, taking my youngest to the Y, then to his baseball game. Gee, I hope I have some time to nap before the dance tonight.

60. Yoshi says:

Rodney,
    When I told you about the shirt, it was in transit from Oregon. When I received it on Monday, saw it and wanted to get more. But, that would really upset my wife, so, neva mind. Do you remember when I wore the ivory white suit? It was soooo hot (you know what kine fabric) with the wig and all, the sweat and the splash on brut went to my undies (TMI)- I had to take a shower and change into regular clothes. (remind me to tell you how I got the suit)

@ankles, well then, both of you are delightful ❗ 🙂

LK:

#81 was a pick by Shauna..

@ankles, #81, Like…. Love it ❗ Absolutely Delightful ❗ 🙂 🙂 🙂

I needed those 2 songs ❗ Thank you ❗ 🙂

@ankles, #82, enjoy your luncheon ❗

Today is my “beauty shop” day! I love the pampering, free air conditioning and hanging with my delightful lady friends ❗ 🙂

@ankles, #78, what a delightful song to begin our Saturday ❗ 🙂 Thanks ❗

Going out to monthly luncheon with the girls soon…Golden Corral buffet….

LK:

Saturday’s mooooosic lesson….like ❓

@ankles, see I’m psychic ❗ There you are ❗ 🙂

@ankles, good morning ❗ You were MIA last night, guess you had a restful Friday ❓

Have a great Saturday ❗ 🙂

70’s Reunion Blast From the Past

Good morning MLCer’s ❗ 🙂 Have a great Saturday ❗ 🙂

Good morning, M 🙂

@yoshi (#45) – LOL @ Spanada and bong. Could just get drunk on the fumes, yeah? LOL. 😉

@Seawalker – good story! For me, I learned like in the fourth grade – better to not wear white pants! LOL! Only going make them dirty! LOL. You know, just sit wherever and whatever. Never had a pair of white pants since then! YOU da man! 😉

@Yoshi – I remember you telling me about it at HB. Something to do with “ruffles”, right?

76. Yoshi says:

@Rodney, I guess you talked to my girlfriends, huh?

Hello, Rodney, have fun tomorrow night ❗

@Yoshi – I know what you’re wearing!

@Yoshi, WOW ❗ I’m sitting on some valuable stuff ❗

80. Yoshi says:

@LK, ’70’s old school stuff (jewelry and clothes) can be sold for good money. One of the shirts I’m wearing tomorrow night cost me $50 online and that was an “average” price for a used shirt.

Wow, I think I have some in my jewelry box, maybe I can sell them 😆

@LK, I wear puka shell necklace.

@Yoshi, people still wear puka shells ❓

84. Yoshi says:

local style – puka shells

@Yoshi – don’t forget the huge gold Rope chain around your neck. 😉

@Yoshi, getting ready for the party tomorrow ❓

87. Yoshi says:

Hey Rodney,
    Anything should match my black Angel Flights pants and platform shoes.

@Mike in Waipio #35, yes, I was referring to Fred Hirayama. Did you know him? I had a different last name at that time. Small world ❗

@Seawalker, #54, thought was reading a steamy romance novel 😆

Hi folks, checking to see what I missed here on the blog while I was watching a loooong movie, 2.5 hours, “My Name is Khan”, what a sad story, used half a box of Kleenex crying. Where are those cucumbers when I need it ❗

@Seawalker – You sure wasn’t a ma… mah…

Mahu? j/k

@NEO76 – Yup, class of ’76. Speaking of which, met a whole table of ’76ers last week at HB. Even got a phone number. LOL Ok, it was a business card when I talked about starting a HI ’76 (like HI ’72 and HI ’74). LOL

@yoshi – Now I want to go shopping tomorrow! I’d better charge my camera batteries now. Will that shirt match your spandex pants? 😯

My all-time story at the nightclubs happened at Bobby McGees. I remember wearing a pair of white jeans that night. Not Jordache, but Guess jeans. We stood in line waiting to go in. The line went down to the sidewalk. A bunch of honeys were behind us in line.

Then, one girl says she has a particular liking for Guess jeans. And that’s what I thought she said because they were right behind us. Her friends joined in and talked some more about the question mark logo and how men looked particularly good in white jeans.

So I tell my friends softly, hey, I think they’re talking about me. Better yet, they’re checking out my a$$ instead of the Guess logo! My friends started laughing and told me I was hearing voices in my head. They also had the nerve to tell me that my fly might be open, and it was a girl’s way of telling me so nonchalantly. No big deal, right? Wrong.

So we’re inside Bobby’s. The usual meat market—flank steak, filet mignon, meat for stewing, and USDA prime! Then, the girl in line who was behind us sees me. From the corner of my eye, I could tell she was checking me out. Not bad looking, I thought.

As the night wore on, and as we made our infamous circles around the dance floor in search of “meat”, she suddenly was right behind me. Egads, and that was the only thing that went through my mind at that point. Next, I feel someone massaging my back. But strange, it didn’t feel like fingers.

I turned around. Holy mackerel, she’s using her…ahem…knockers to give me a massage! She gives me the most wicket smile ever. Okay, I’ll stop here. But this was why I enjoyed going to the nightclubs—you never know what to expect! Till today, my friends still don’t believe me when I tell them what had happened.

And btw, nowadays, whenever I see someone else with a pair of white Guess jeans on, I get a rush of endorphins! And I also make sure nothing’s on my back. LOL

95. Neo76 says:

Rod, this confirms we’re the same age. The clubs we went to were the same.

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)? Hula Hut in the late 70’s, La Mancha in the 80″s. However, I also went to Magic Mushrooms for the all you can drink deal. Must have got wasted every time. Almost forgot CSB and Tiki’s and of course The Point After. Rumours came later (I must be old).

2. What was your drink of choice? Back then, mostly Michelob (didn’t have Bud Light yet). 151 made me sick. Vodka Collins and Tequila Sunrise at Magic Mushrooms was my fav.

3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower? Dancer. I remember challenging my friend to see how much dances we could get. I remember 5 per set for 5 or 6 sets at Hula Hut.

4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with? Usually 4, 5, or 6. One of my friends met his wife at Hula Hut.

5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? Always there on Saturday, sometimes Friday and Thursday. One time on Wednesday after studying at Hamilton Library.

“sally Says:

I went to Point two times in my life. Didn’t like the meat market atmosphere. (Rod, weren’t you the one my friend said “$2 a pound” to?)”
    ***
    That was YOUR friend?!? LOL
    Although we called it the Meat Market, we also sometimes called it Boys Town. Why was it that the ratio was always 5 guys to 1 girl?

97. Yoshi says:

@ Rodney – you’re going to love the shirt I plan to wear.

@Seawalker – Please do not confuse Hula Hut with Hula’s Bar and Lei Stand. LOL

@Jules #30 – Welcome to the MLC blog, Jules! Tuesday nights at The Point was beach night? Does that mean you folks used to go in bikinis? 😯
    btw, how’s your new band coming along? When’s the debut?

@wonderland808 #39 – Welcome to this blog too! Your dad has a Tiki Terror business card? Try ask him if it’s a “club” card. LOL Small world!

@Yoshi #45 – See you at the 70’s NCR tomorrow night! Wearing your “afro”? 😉

@ankles, nice to have a night off from work! Do you have great plans ❓

I’m going back to all the music on the prior blog and listen to some song, sooooo many ❗ 🙂

YAY!!! Don’t work tonight ❗

102. Yoshi says:

Ai sus, I spell occasion wrong.
    I did say I was tired.

103. Yoshi says:

What was your favorite nightclub(s)?
    Rumours and Studebakers

What was your drink of choice?
    vodka – now it’s Heineken
    @4G – I remember spanada and ripple was the choice of liquid for the bong.

Were you a dancer or a wallflower?
    always dancer – got that from my mom and the drinking from my dad

How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?
    usually, just 1 girlfriend – in fact we still go out on occation with my wife and friends – in fact, she’s joining me tomorrow night along with my wife and many, many friends

What was your favorite night to hit the clubs?
    Friday and Saturday – now in my old age, Saturday

Ho, tired now – I gotta take a break.

Good evening, MLCer’s ❗ Hope everyone had a nice Friday the 13th ❗ 🙂

105. che says:

Opso, Bobby’s was the most crowded place. I had to order a beer then start waiting in line for the restroom because it was so crowded.

106. che says:

Uncle Jimmy my time at Rumors would have been from 80-85

Gosh, who doesn’t know good ‘ol Millie? Always requested for her table at Makiki Zippys.

Sounds like the 70’s were the period for nightclubbing and live bands. When I was 18, just caught the tail-end of the disco era. Rumours was one of those places we only heard stories about because it was a 21 and over joint.

But over the years, we visited just about every club in town. We even went to the joint on Kuhio where Nohelani would be performing live. Steel Wings was convenient for us because it was just a walk from where I was working. Never been to Wave or Pink Caddy. And never had the urge to go to Hula’s…LOL

As I got older (but I seriously doubt–any wiser), we started going to Oceans on Tuesday nights. The place was just packed. It could have been ladies nights, too! Ho, but going to work the next day with 3 hours of sleep was a challenge. Good fun, totally!

I really wasn’t into clubbing all that much. There was one year that I hung out with a group where clubbing was the thing to do. We were young – senior year in high school.

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)?

I remember going to Tiki’s, Duke’s, and Hawaiian Hut. I went to Magic Mushroom maybe two times. One of those times I got really sick trying to “drink my $10’s worth”. LOL. That is a pretty funny story, but also pretty gross, so I will spare the gory details. 😉

2. What was your drink of choice?

Back then, it was Screwdrivers. Oh – and Southern Comfort here and there. I don’t think I can drink Southern Comfort anymore. Kinda like Spanada. Hah, hah – once you get sick drinking Spanada, you really don’t want to go there again! 😉

3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower?

More wallflower than dancer. I think that I had already been pretty well traumatized by the dreaded “walk back across the floor” from intermediate school canteens and high school dances. LOL.

4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?

The group that I hung out with was a mix of guys and gals. We would typically range from six to ten.

5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs?

I don’t really recall. LOL. I think that we would go on the weekends; mostly Saturday nights.

109. wonderland808 says:

@Mike in Waipio: I was doing a little research and came across this blog and noticed that you mentioned the “Tiki Terrors”. My dad has a Tiki Terror business card and says that he was a “Tiki Terror”. He wanted to know if your “handle” was “Dyna Mike” or something like that.

110. Rob@96744 says:

Hey Mike in Waipio: Must have run into you before, forgot all about Tiki Terrors. Liked to see White Light once in awhile although I personally liked Hula Hut better because we didn’t have to wait in the line. We used to get in through the back door, and always had a table…Point After too, we used to go in through the back door, didn’t have to squeeze through all the masses to get to the back bar where Ronald K (Bonchi) was. I was gonna ask Sally about Millie too…

111. Mike in Waipio says:

Among other clubs we went to was La Mancha. When they switched from live music to a DJ, my friend Clay (an original Tiki Terror) was the DJ there.
    I first went to the Tiki to see the Dimensions, who my friend had introduced to me. I first saw them at the Green Turtle, then the Hong Kong Junk, then the Tiki. The Dimensions even had some gigs at the Magic Mushroom.

112. kathi says:

@Dean: Had to laugh at your comment about the journalists’ “occupational hazard” of hard drinking, which also afflicted the related professions of advertising and print production. I’m glad to have been able to have a drink or many at the old-time newspapermens’/admens’ bars in Chicago like Riccardo’s, Billy Goat Tavern, and O’Rourke’s Pub (all gone now except for the Billy Goat), but also probably best that things are not quite that wild now.

113. Mike in Waipio says:

#1/#3/#4/#5: My friends and I hung out at the Tiki when the Dimensions and later White Light played. We all met down at the club (a group of 5 to 10 usually). We were regulars most every Friday and Saturday; and called ourselves the “Tiki Terrors”. And we danced a lot. Sometimes checked out Duke’s to see Glass Candle; or Hula Hut to see Natural High; and other spots.
    @LK (#2): At Da Sting, do you mean Fred Hirayama? Good guy.
    @sally (#17): Do you mean the infamous Millie from Zippy’s Makiki? We’d see her sometimes at the Tiki; but she was usually at Hula Hut and considered herself a “Hula Hotcha”.

114. opso says:

ahh…clubbing! them were some fun and craaaazy times! 😀

– What was your favorite nightclub(s)?
    BI: Poly Room and CJ’s
    @Ynaku – CJ’s must’ve been RIGHT afta your time. 😉 it was first in the Hilo Lagoon Hotel. it was downstairs and then up on the roof. then moved to the old Herk’s Tavern building on Banyan Drive….next to the driving range. then i dunno.

Oahu: my faves were Masquerades and Bobby’s. the atmosphere at these places were electric!
    then there were Phase, The Wave & Pink Cadillac which were not too bad.
    i didn’t care for Rumours…..was too stuffy in there. iykwim 😉
    @che – eh…you could breath or what in dea?! haha!

– What was your drink of choice?
    beeas! dabbled some with other hards….but always gravitated back to beeas! oh yeah….and tequila shots! woo hoo! 😆

– Were you a dancer or a wallflower?
    dancing?…..meh. i could just hang and party all night without dancing. but when opportunity arises….? 😉

– How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?
    depends….2 or up to 10+. a bunch of us used to “prime” at Kengo’s Royal Lanai. we got to know some of the hot waitresses there and waited for them to get off work….then hit the clubs. :mrgreen:

– What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? any night where i didn’t have to work the next day.

115. uncle jimmy says:

@che..

scawy, but, 30 years ago wuz about when it wuz..

so when were you at UH? my dayz ’71 t’rough ’85.. aka da bes’ timez of my life..

@Dean.. on some nights, used to shoot 2 shots of teq, den jus’ sip club soda wit’ lime..

aah, da hungovah memories.. 😆

116. Dean says:

Sally… “you had to be one of the “pretty girls” to fit in there.” So how was it that you didn’t fit in?

Favorite drink? I never used to drink until I majored in journalism at UH. For so many of us working at the campus paper (Ka Leo), crazy weekend parties was standard procedure. At that time it was usually beer. Sometimes tequila.

And it was almost part of the curriculum: it got you ready for “real” newspaper work at a time when a lot of journalists apparently made a routine of knocking back a few (or more) after hours. Heck, a few didn’t even wait until after hours!

117. che says:

Uncle Jimmy I need to know that 30 years ago. 🙂

118. Jules says:

The Point After, Bobby McGee’s, Trapper’s, Studebaker’s and Rumours
    Bartender’s Iced Tea
    Dancer!
    Just me and my best friend…any more and there’s usually drama…:-)
    Point After…Tuesday (Beach Night), Friday and Saturday

Good morning all.
    1. What was your favorite nightclub? Only went to a few. The Wave was my favorite.
    2. What was your drink of choice? Bartenders Ice Tea at The Wave. First love is whiskey but no one would make it strong enough so I had to find something else to quench the thirst.
    3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower? Like che, I watched the seats and drinks.
    4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?
    5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? On my way to the restroom, I would hit as many as I could.. 🙂 nah. It was usually 2-5 of us.

I will have to get back with my story of getting kicked out of The Wave. Probably wrote it before, but MLC brain here. I no remember if I did or not.

What was your favorite nightclub(s)? Went to a bunch of them, but always at Tiki’s, Hula Hut, and Hawaiian Hut

What was your drink of choice? Vodka Collins

Were you a dancer or a wallflower? Definitely a dancer

How many people did you usually hit the clubs with? 2-3 people

What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? Fridays and Saturdays

121. uncle jimmy says:

hmm, to firs’ question, point after, bobby mcgee’s cilly’s, sting, spats.. even rex’s an’ da wave.. i guess even nick’s counts at one point.. that was over 15-year period..

worked in waikiki as bartender UH dayz, so always knew folks in da clubs.. only went clubs in between after getting heart broken by some cute local girl or another..

not much of a drinker, just something light..

but here’s da real skinny on local girls in local clubs.. there were always plenty of guys around, but very few who could carry on an intelligent conversation, and that was always the deal with local girls, if you could make them laugh and have something to say, you could hang out with them..

and just once in a very great while, one would drag you home wit’, but that was the exception rather den da rule..

but, anyways, usually worked alone..

122. Rob@96744 says:

1.Like Rod, I spent my youth at Hula Hut and the Point After. Also went to Rumours, LaMancha and once in awhile Cest Sibon. When Francis from Point moved to Maharajah, I went there, and that was the end of the club scene.
    2.Used to drink Crown Royal and Snowshoes. Never did aquire the taste for beer.
    3.Wasn’t much of a dancer, as I have mentioned before in other posts, I went out mostly to listen to the music. (Doobie Brothers, anyone?)
    4.4 to 5 guys, sometimes a we would be joined by 2 or 3 female friends(friends, not girlfriends), and we would have a great time cause they would mostly ask us (good, because no fun being turned down). Sally, looking back, never thought about it back then, but a lot of the girls at Hula Hut weren’t of the “ordinary” type, they were either sorority girls or those that were always trying to look good…Wish I had hung out at the magic mushroom…LOL. Went to Magic Mushroom couple of times but both times we were not comfortable because of the high amount of drunks there. Must have been the cheap booze that you described.
    5.Fridays and Saturdays was THE BEST nights. Always looked forward to the weekend…Hated Sunday because had to recover but was hard because I worked…

123. PA says:

bars started a pinkys when they had live music
    cooper stills later the 23rd step the schnazz
    when in town it was opears and the blue goose
    all you could drink nite for $3
    drink heineken
    everynight was party nite as long as i had money
    dancing was the only way to meet girls most times it was too loud to have a conversation

124. che says:

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)? In the early 80s we used to go to Rumors, Wave or Masquerades. We went to Rumors the most often because it closed at 4:00am but the most interesting things happened at the Wave.
    2. What was your drink of choice? Either a Miller or a screwdriver.
    3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower? More of a wallflower. If it was just the guys then I just watched the people or my friends beers at the table. If it was a mixed group then I would dance. I didn’t like the walk of shame.
    4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with? It was either a 3 to 4 guys or 12 to 20 people. I was in a club and after events they would hit Rumors.
    5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? Saturday. The only problem was coming home at like 5:30am on Sunday and entering the house while my mom and grandma were making breakfast.

125. 91boz says:

Good Friday The 13th Morning To All!

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)? The Point After. I used to work with the father of the house band Aura formerly The Nomads. He set me up with a vip card so no cover charge.

Used to also frequent Ce’st Si Bon, Greenwood, The Kasuals

2. What was your drink of choice? Rum and coke, Vodka coke.

3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower? Went clubbing to meet girls and have a good time. Dancing was just part of it. Not necessarily a dancer. My wife says I’m a terrible dancer. But not as bad as Elaine Bennis —

4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with? Usually with one of my friends.

5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? Friday or Saturday nights.

126. Ynaku says:

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)? Only had Poly Room at the Naniloa in my days.

2. What was your drink of choice? Drank mostly Tequila Sunrise.

3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower? More of a wallflower stalking to see if we could hook up with soe cute bees. 😀

4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with? We normally go as a group of maybe 3 and meet up with some others in the gang.

5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? Definitely Friday nights after pau hana cause weekend we all hit the beaches.

What was your favorite nightclub(s)? I never went. Don’t like large crowds and to loud. You have to yell to talk to someone and then you can’t hear what they said. I was always too stoned anyway.

What was your drink of choice? Don’t drink

Were you a dancer or a wallflower? See number 1

How many people did you usually hit the clubs with? see number 1

What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? see number 1

Happy Friday the 13th ❗

@Sally, so true ❗ 🙂

@LINDA KATO: too funny… it’s actually my friends. How can you not have fun when you’re with the best people all the time?

@sally, YOU are the party ❗ Wherever you go it’s a party atmosphere ❗ You exude happiness ❗ 🙂

Dean: funny! And you STILL don’t dance! But you do a mean cartwheel! LOL!!!!

I went to Dukes and Tiki a couple of times cuz my hanai cousin (the infamous Millie) used to go there. Was not too impressed.

Looking back I think I just didn’t care for going into Waikiki for the big clubs. Looking now, life is pretty much the same. I prefer Ige’s and Hawaiian Brians over other places. And I still go with big gangs, 15-30 usually. Life hasn’t changed much huh? LOL

I went to daSting once. uno. one time. Hated it, never went back. My cousin dragged me out and all I remember of that night was when she and her friends all went up to dance and I was in this big booth alone, this un-local (that’s as far as I’ll go with the description) guy invited himself by sliding in and acting all tantaran.

I don’t know what he said except his last line was “I just know that by the end of the night, I’ll have your number”. I gave him my famous “heh?” look (yes, I had it back then too) and said “I don’t think so”. Then I told him something to the effect of how he didn’t belong in our booth and I just waited for the night to be over.

Dean – I second what you said.

Keoni – funny!

Went to Hula Hut a couple of times… was fun enough, but it wasn’t “home”. Plus… it seemed like you had to be one of the “pretty girls” to fit in there.

Went to C’est si Bon when my friend’s BF was playing off nights.

Went to a bunch of diff clubs when my BF was playing off nights.

135. Keoni says:

Rod,

I’m not a club person, but my warped mind immediately responded to #4 with “I hit as many people with clubs as annoy me!”
    And that’s my humorous contribution to today’s MLC!

136. kathi says:

It’s a little surprising for me to look back and realize just how few details I remember about the clubbing scene. It seemed so important and now it’s all blurred, like a straight tequila night!

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)? Can’t say I had a favorite because quite often my friends and I would pick a place where another friend’s band was playing. I think we were at Hula Hut most often, though.

2. What was your drink of choice? I was a “girl drink drunk” back then, but even a lot of the guys were: tequila sunrise, strawberry daiquiri, rum and coke. I can’t even look at rum now but tequila will always be my friend.

3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower? More of a dancer than I am now, but that’s not saying much at all!

4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with? Smallish group, 3-6 max

5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs? Saturday because you really needed Sunday to recover for school or work.

@sally, good morning, party person ❗ 🙂

@ankles, #5 beautiful music, love the piano ❗ 🙂

We own a piano. My mother-in-law gave it to us so our daughter could take piano lessons. Our daughter Lynne took piano lessons for many years but resented it ❗ She won’t even play for me anymore. 🙁 This is our child in Omaha planning to become a doctor.

Good Morning MLCers!

What was your favorite nightclub(s)?
    Magic Mushroom… you all know, $10 all you can drink for guys, $3 all you can drink for gals, later went up to $5. All you can drink of the cheapest, junkest booze money can buy. Place was always packed with drunk and/or sick people. Ho da good fun! LOL

Second fave was Top o’ da Shoppe, used to go 1-2 times during the weeknights.

What was your drink of choice?
    I went thru phases. Screwdrivers, Rum/Coke, Margaritas, Kahlua/Milk. Now it’s Jack Daniels. yummmmm

Were you a dancer or a wallflower?
    Rod, you’re kidding me right? lol Always a dancer.

How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?
    We had a bunch of 6-10 friends we used to go with, so clubbing for me back then was not much different than how I go out now.

What was your favorite night to hit the clubs?
    Friday/Sat for Mushroom. Any night (1-2x/wk) for Top o’ da Shoppe.

@Dean and @ankles, you’re my kind of guys ❗ 🙂

All the party people are sleeping right now. Wait until they wake up and share all of their stories.

I love parties where you can talk to the person next to you without a finger in one ear and shouting over the music ❗ 🙂

Good morning MLCer’s ❗ Have a great Friday ❗ 🙂

It’s TGIF ❗ 🙂 🙂 🙂

1. What was your favorite nightclub(s)?..dunno, rarely went…

2. What was your drink of choice?..Screwdriver, Harvey Wallbanger, Sloe Gin fizz

3. Were you a dancer or a wallflower?..dancer in HS..we use to attend dances at townie schools…

4. How many people did you usually hit the clubs with?….see #1

5. What was your favorite night to hit the clubs?…see #1…

LK:

Today’s music lesson…21 year old American singer/songwriter from Montana….like ❓

Aloha Friday’s Blast From the Past….

Moody Blues – Nights In White Satin (Live)

145. Dean says:

I was about as square as it gets.

Only went to a nightclub once or twice. I tend to prefer conversations and the loud music made that almost impossible.

Oh, and I don’t dance, either.

At “da sting” I ordered a 7-up. When it arrived it tasted like water. I asked the manager Fred to taste it. I worked with him so we knew each other. Fred said, yes, this sure is water, sorry about that! The waiter brought me a 7-up the 2nd time. I danced a bit with my date. But, I never liked the nightclub scene and we didn’t stay very long. I just wanted to see the new club because it just opened up. No other experiences with the night scene. I got married at 18 and was a mother by 21 so no time for night clubbing.

First ❗ I went to a nightclub only once to “da sting” because I worked for the company in their office as a secretary.