Admission’s Day Quiz

Thanks to long time reader/poster “Snow” for sending me this quiz!

How much Hawaiian History do you know? Age is a plus here!!!

1.) The hotel’s name means the “surface of the sea”. It was built
near Chinn Ho’s family’s duck and rice pond. Ho’s company, Capital
Investment, got its start at McKinley High School in the 1920’s to
pay for a broken window.

2.) This name literally means “white tree store”, and was founded in
1662 in Edo , Japan as a drapery and notions store.

3.) This company was once called Waialua Garage, a two car service
station in Waialua

4.) This company was founded 105 years ago. It burned down in its
first 6 months then again 20 years later. To bring supplies to
Hawaii , they built their own ship, the fastest 5-masted schooner in
the Pacific.

5.) Retail guru, Glenn Kaya brought this company to Hawaii in 1958.
You had to be a member to come into the store. They leased out space
to businesses that ran its various departments. ABC Stores,
Wong’s Drapery, C.S Wo, Mid-Pacific Lumber, Chun Kim Chow, and Hauoli were all
tenants of this company which closed in1993.

6.) Most remember this company as a fabric and dry goods store in Ala
Moana Center but 75 years ago, the store was known and loved around
the world as Hawaii ‘s best shirt maker. Chotaru Miyamoto ran
advertisements using pidgin and broken English that locals found
cute and touching.

7.) Shopping on Oahu used to be in the downtown area. When Lowell
Dillingham proposed building a 100-acre City of Tomorrow retail mall
at Ala Moana, downtown businesses were reluctant to move, until this
store made a commitment. It began as a watch company in Chicago in
1886.

8.) This retailer on several islands carries the name of a well-known
Hawaiian entertainer from the 1950’s. You can see the largest Aloha Shirt
in the world at their Honolulu store.

9.) Can you remember the name of the super market on School Street
and Nuuanu Avenue ? It opened in 1935 and closed in 1983.

10.) Thahn Quoc Lam started this sandwich place in 1984 and now has
more than 20 franchises. The name means ” Paris ” in Vietnamese.

11.) These now-gone sister restaurants at Ala Moana Center were
famous for pastrami sandwiches and Chinese take out. Calvin Chun
owned both and named them for his daughters.

12.) This restaurant began as a four-table Japanese restaurant on New
York ‘s west side in 1964. They are the most successful Japanese
restaurant in the U.S. , having prepared over 100 million meals. The
recipe for success was blending exotic Japanese dishes with a
dazzling chef performance.

13.) Perhaps the oldest restaurant in Honolulu , it opened in 1882.
When tourists asked cab drivers to take them to the best Chinese
restaurant in town, they took them here, partially because the fare
was larger.

14.) The oldest school in Hawaii , built in 1831 as a seminary for
young men. It is the ninth oldest school in the U.S. The neighbor
island institution prides itself with being the ” Oldest School West
of the Rockies .”

I took out a couple of hints to make it a little bit harder.

To keep the game going, go ahead and think of someplace and put out some hints so we can try to figure out where you’re talking about.  Could be something as simple as “Go now Hawaii, Why pay more?
Just make sure to check back in and let us know if someone guessed it correctly.

btw, Re: #4 – All day on Friday (8/20) to celebrate Admission’s Day – all sales will be tax-free!  One day only, though.

Have a fun and safe 3 day weekend!

*If you’re looking for something to do on Saturday night – Powerhouse will be playing at Gordon Biersch from 8:30 to midnight.  Garlic fries!  *but I think Paula and I will be checking out a bon dance that night.

425 Responses to “Admission’s Day Quiz”

1. NaPueo says:

Just back from vacation. 🙂
    Back to work tomorrow. 🙁
    re: #4 Can’t be City Mill. They say that they’re 111yrs. old and being run by the THIRD generation.

2. 91boz says:

Your right! It was Sammy Amalu and Ronald Rewald.

Sammy Amalu once tried to sell off Diamond Head to some unsuspecting investors. lol

3. honouliulikid says:

Hey Boz 91 I logged off and about an hour later, it cam to me, I think, regarding the greatest con man. It wasn’t a German guy, wasn’t it Sammy Amalu?

4. honouliulikid says:

Hey Boz 91, on your #83 you got me thinking about the greatest con man in the 60’s. I remember following the story when I used to deliver the Star Bulletin as a kid. He had a German name and I think claimed to be some kind of royalty, I think he was a count. I won’t cheat and look it up on the internet. I will just rely on whatever brain cells are left in this old mind and try to remember the name.

5. ct says:

@Seawalker – I wouldn’t doubt that you guys would’ve gave them a run for their money. My brother was a tennis player … was too vicious for me … hahaha … just don’t go to the net … cuz he would whack you … hahaha …

Was never that talented. Blew out the ol’ knee my first JV football year at Kalani. Previous played a year of little league baseball and some Jolly Roger and AAU basketball. Then later played some slow pitch softball in some park leagues … a couple knee surgeries later … gave it all up … just helped coached the kids when they played … now kinda retired …

The problem now for Waipio is that adrenaline can only get you so far … exhaustion will start to settle in … so they gotta make sure they stay on a routine … don’t miss meals and get some rest. Otherwise the nerves start to get frazzled. They just gotta stick together as a team and support each other and keep everyone up. I thought I saw Shackles have a problem with his catcher during the Georgia game. Gotta keep positive and play their game …

@ct #418, thanks for the music ❗ Nice ❗ 🙂

@Seawalker #417, don’t be jealous, I’m much older than you are ❗ 🙂

8. ct says:

@Linda – Since I mentioned Ella … howz about

Ella Fitzgerald – Night and Day

@LK – Good night. One less week for you before retirement! I’m jealous…

@Seawalker, good night ❗ Have a great week ❗

@91boz, @ct – You guys played sports? I never got to in h.s. But in my 20’s, a bunch of my friends and I played HTL and USTA tennis. We had a pretty good team one year. Everybody was similar in ability, but what made us click was the mental game and attitude. It’s also team chemistry, but most of all, it was confidence. Confidence made all the difference.

We cakewalked the Oahu District matches. That put us in the Regionals in Kona. It was a best of 5 format, winner take all. Before we knew it, we were down 0 and 2. But we won the next 3 and advanced. Next up was the Nationals. Just like Waipio, we were put in 1 of 4 pools along with Northern CA, Southern CA, and New England States.

Unreal, the atmosphere was electric and amazing. These goons from the mainland were all decked out in uniforms. We actually advanced out of pool play and reached the national semifinals. Puerto Rico was the team to beat as they were just beating everybody 5 and 0. Lo and behold, someone files an unnecessary protest against us, the Hawaii team. We were DQ’ed. At the end, we never got to meet PR. But we were so jacked- up, as if we were on a mission to destiny.

So no matter what people say about the playing conditions, Waipio is that same confident, jacked-up, no-fear team that was us at Palm Springs. Hear it in the players. When interviewed, they say that even though they were down some runs, they never felt like they were going to lose. So true, so true.

Good night everyone ❗ Sweet dreams ❗ 🙂

@91boz, good night ❗

@91boz #402 and #403, thanks for the music tonight ❗ Nice ❗ 🙂

15. 91boz says:

Good Night Everyone! Was a long day today.
    Golf At Hickam and 19th puka at my house.

Catch you all later!

16. ct says:

@91 – Yeah … one of my regrets … never saw Kenny Rankin in Concert … I think he was here just a couple years ago …

17. ct says:

@Seawalker – I guess you could call it both … stayed down on the one hopper and fed the short … then the 6th inning … timed the jump perfectly …

18. 91boz says:

@ct Kenny Rankin so talented. Too bad he passed away last year.

I saw him in the mid 70’s at the shell and he had a small orchestra for backup. Great concert!

19. 91boz says:

@Seawalker Great game this morning. As usual great defense and yes Desa great swing. Must be in the genes!
    I think that this Waipio team can go a long way due to the many pitchers that they have.

Will be interesting to see who they play on Tues. Georgia or Ohio.

20. ct says:

@91boz – You and me goin get along. Good call … I like the Kenny Rankin version of Groovin’, On and On, Blackbird and even Penny Lane … Silver Morning is one of my favorite CD’s

@ct – You talking the double play or the shot that was caught in the webbing that almost went through? I agree, it’s the D that makes this and past Hawaii teams so good. Did you notice the smart move by Head Coach Yoshii? Baniaga was coming up to the 85-pitch limit. So they brought in Kaneshiro to finish up. That allows Baniaga to come back one day early to pitch again. I also don’t think Shakles reached the 85 limit. So Waipio has great pitching left. Perhaps they are anticipating of moving on?

22. ct says:

@Seawalker – DVR’d it … just watched it … that’s the team we all came to love … great D … and teamwork. DeSa has a natural relaxed swing and seems to see the ball well. Great extension … last 3 games 3 HR’s. Baniaga did an excellent pitching keeping the batters off balance with that curve and Kaneshiro finished with a smart pitching. But check out the heart of 4’11” 2nd baseman Akau …

23. 91boz says:

Here’s a classic from one of my favorite artist

Kenny Rankin

@91boz, @ct – You guys watched the Waipio game today? That kid, DeSa, is one heck of a hitter. If you get a chance to see the next game on Tuesday, listen when the ball comes off his bat. It makes a different sound from the other guys. All the signs and makings of a future pro prospect.

@ct #398, thank you for the music, nice ❗ 🙂

26. 91boz says:

Toyo theater is where in the 70’s we used to go and watch two Japanese movies for $.75.

Some names that come to mind — Tomisoburo Wakayama, Bunta Sugawara, Koji Tsuruta, Junko Fujii.

Movies that come to mind — Hanzo The Razor, Karate Priest Series, Lonw Wolf And Child Series, Several gambling type movies.

27. ct says:

@Linda – Howzit it going. Howz about some Patti …

Patti Austin & Take 6 – How High The Moon

A tribute to Ella Fitzgerald … she sizzles …

28. 91boz says:

Seawalker that theater on the corner of Kuhio and Kaiulani? Royal Theater.

We also used to go to Liberty or Empress theater to watch David Chiang and Alexander Fu Cheng. Also enjoyed watching the rats running across the stage at Liberty theater before the show LOL.

😆

30. ct says:

@M – Lucky thing you’re there, you’re absolutely right was on Monsarrat and Campbell I think … oh well … gotta find where all those brain cells went … Thanks for the correction

@ct, Burgerland is where Diamond Head Grill/Market is today.

Good evening MLCers ❗ 🙂

33. ct says:

Good Evening MLCers!!!

Great music … great memories … at least of what I can remember … hahaha

@Sally – #362 Gee it sounded like you get da Janet Jackson Control attitude … “Give me a beat!”

@Sally – #388 For some reason Burgerland comes to mind.

@sally, that’s the one! The running hamburger going around the corner on the sign.

Before the days of Jackie Chan, Gong Li, and Chow Yun Fat, it was the action packed kung-fu thrillers at Empress Theatre. Those were the good ole days of Run Run Shaw movies that included the likes of Alexander Fu Sheng, Ti Lung, and David Chiang. Don’t remember exactly how many we went to but it must have been 30 or 40 movies during the 70’s. We were still too young to have gone to any Bruce Lee movies then.

Gosh, back then as a teenager, I remember walking out of Empress after the kung fu movies and acting like we were Shaolin experts. We would be doing these silly kicks and hand gestures to mimic what we saw in the movies. The walk down Nuuanu to Hotel to catch the bus home was pretty hairy, but those were good fun times for us.

@M: Was that the one where Market City Foodland is now? I don’t know why I grew up calling that place Wimpy Burgers. I remember the neon sign of the running hamburger.

Guud evening MLCers!

Wiki Wiki Burgers…

@Sally: Yup, we must have been the pains to him, but you were right, I remember seeing quite a few hot rod cars there. Now it’s a recycling center.

@Mark’75: Yes that’s the Jimmy’s. hahaha that’s funny. Keep in mind I was about 7 yrs old when I rode w/ my daddy to his station. I was still cute yet and not a pain in da okole kid to him. LOL

@Seawalker – that question been bugging me! LOL. I think I figured it out – one of those was the Royal Theater. I think I got it backwards. Kuhio on Ewa end and Royal on Diamond Head end.

@Sally #374: Was Jimmy’s on the corner of Castle/Campbell? If was, that was the old man who always yelled at us kids for cutting the corner onto his property while we walked to Jefferson.

@Seawalker – good question. LOL. Do I have them backwards?

Worse, the theatre that you are asking about now (Ewa end of Kuhio) – remember going to like the last movie they were going to show there, and I cannot even remember the name! LOL.

@4G – LOL, so obvious and couldn’t even get ’em. Okay, what was the theatre on the other end of Kuhio called?

@Seawalker – I think the theatre in downtone on King was, creatively, King Theatre. The one in Waikiki on Kuhio was, creatively, Kuhio Theatre. LOL. 😉

Movie theatres, anybody remember the one in downtown on King St. (not Hotel St. LOL)? I remember watching Grease and falling in love with Olivia Newton-John. Felt like I was on cloud 9 that very day on my paper route.

There was a movie theatre towards the end of Waikiki. I think it was on Kuhio. Anyway, I remember watching Raiders of the Lost Ark over there. Forgot what the theatre was called. Kapahulu?

How about Star Wars at the Cinerama? I remember watching the Sound of Music at the Kam Shopping Center theatre. And I even remember the movie, Earthquake, in Waikiki. The rumbling sound didn’t go away in my ears for days!

@M – (#355) Way before the freeway was built? Holy moly, what year was that? I’m thinking to myself, man, you guys are old buggahs! LOL

@Rob (#325), @91Boz (#326), @ct (#357) – Acid Hill, eh?

I’ll vouch for that. That’s my nick of the woods. Acid was before my time, so no get any ideas. LOL. Whenever I talk to the old timers, those who know always seem to have a smile on their face. They claim it was a dirt bike trail or just a hangout. Things changed and got some real nice houses up there now.

LINDA KATO: agree agree!

@ankles #371, glad Colt got to play again. He’s the cutest QB ever ❗ 🙂

Also on Campbell Ave was Jimmy’s Service Station. I always thought it was just another service station but, as I became an adult, many people told me he was well known for his affiliation with mechanics and racers. Is that true? To me he was just the nice Japanese man who used to always call me Daddy’s Girl when we went there.

If you go there now, it’s a diff business but the form of the bldg is still there.

I cannot even remember a restaurant on that corner.

Who remembers the Dairy Queen on Monsarratt off Campbell Ave in Kapahulu? Even non-Kapahulu peeps know it cuz it was near the zoo. It was the place my daddy used to take us for a treat. We used to get so excited we piled into the car to go for the ride.

My daddy… ~sigh~

I did’nt see the earlier post #199 before I posted. Linda K. got it, Hale Nanea Restaurant.

Masako’s grandfather and his brother owned and operated that restaurant, sold it in 1959 and opened Chunkey’s Drive Inn soon after.

At least Colt played last night. Interview of Colt on Oakland’s Channel 5.

ended up at Wilson Pickett, “In the Midnight Hour”:

LOL – since sally said we needed a beat, I started at Wilson Pickett, “Mustang Sally”:

LOL – and ended up at:

56. C0hiba says:

Nice music. MLCer’s are the best!

@ct, that clip with Jake was great. So young then.

@M, sorry to hear about your cooler. Hard to imagine that someone would take something from your carport.

@sally – “96 Tears” – good one!

Yeah, @M – okay, you stumped us! LOL. What is the name of the restaurant? 😉

@M #316 and #352, tell already ❗ And the name of the restaurant is………. ❓

@sally, #362, nice beat ❗ Thank you ❗ 🙂

@4G #358 & #360, thanks for the memories, nice ❗ 🙂

@4G, #358, you’re welcome ❗ 🙂 I bought a CD for me too with the $50 gift card I won. I listened to it twice yesterday. Delightful ❗ 🙂 Pay it forward, do something nice for someone ❗ 🙂

awww c’mon gang, we need a beat…

96 Tears

63. ct says:

Hey 4G – Thanks for the music. Listening to 98.6 now. Nice way to get going … been a long week … and trying to be a little productive …

Hope everyone has a great day …

LOL – oops, Liz Damon’s Orent Express “CD” 😳

Morning all!

Woke up this morning thinking about oldies – probably a lot to do with the Liz Damon’s Orient Express that LK sent me. Thanks again, LK!

The Left Banke, “Walk Away Renee”:

66. ct says:

Good Morning MLCers!!!

Thanks all for the music.

@M #355 – You guys hardcore, can barely remember anything before the H-1 Freeway.

@91boz – #326 Yes you are correct. It’s up above Poola St. near the reservoir … of course … that’s what I heard at least … hahaha

Okay M, the freeway was built when I was about 4th or 5th grade. I remember cuz one of my best friends had to move when they tore down homes in the path of construction where the 6th Ave on ramp is now.

I can barely remember what was there before the used car lot. LOL

@sally, this restaurant was there way before the freeway was even built. 🙂

@M, good morning, tell already ❗ Is it the same restaurant that my husband was thinking of #199 ❓

Good Morning MLCers!

@M: I’m thinking “there was a restaurant there?” hahaha And when you give the answer I’ll probably go “ohhhh yah!”

Not one guess for my #316 post question? Did I stomp the MLCers? 🙂

#348:

Try this link…it was the picture that did it ❗ Sorry….

This one is safe….

@ankles #349 meant to state #348 for those comments. Still sleepy.

Back to sleep now…..

@ankles #345, Like ❗ Nice ❗ Had to sign up for Youtube/google and verify I was over 18 to view it….. but it was worth it ❗ 🙂

LK:

…Icelandic indie-folk band from Reykjavik, Iceland….like ❓

Good morning MLCers ❗ 🙂 Happy Sunday ❗ 🙂

Good morning, ankles ❗ 🙂

How are you today ❓

@DIO #342 and #343, thank you ❗ 🙂

Another HOT, TOPLESS Blast From the Past Sunday….

Grand Funk Railroad – I’m Your Captain/Closer To Home

80. David In Oregon says:

Linda: You’re welcome. I couldn’t let the Four Tops / Temptations go unanswered. There’s so much good moosic out there.

Here’s another I like:

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

DIO, thanks for the blast from the past ❗ You sure are perky so early in the morning ❗ 🙂

82. David In Oregon says:

the battle of the groups, the Temptations, Four Tops, and others

83. David In Oregon says:

and again…

It’s the same old song:

84. David In Oregon says:

Did someone say the Four Tops? Well, here they are:

@DIO #335, how interesting ❗ 🙂

86. David In Oregon says:

Kapahulu Chop Suey? That’s another place I miss. At one point, my friends parents were part owners of the biz. I used to love going there to go eat and go visit.

Good late evening everyone ❗ 🙂

@Sally: Kapahulu Theater…wow, brings back memories. Our family used to walk the two blocks to watch movies.

At practice at Kaimuki’s field, the smell of baking bread from Loves Bakery wafting over the field would just kill us (was just starving by then) and then walking past Kapahulu Theater on the way home and smelling the buttered popcorn from the lobby…..oooohhhh, not to mention had to walk past Ono’s, Kapahulu Chop Suey, and Zippy’s too!

@Sally #317: Nippon Theater was on the corner of Beretania Street and Keeaumoku Street, where the Chevron Station is now. Used to see the Tora-san movies there.

90. David In Oregon says:

Toyo Theater? Wow, I haven’t heard that name in years. I can remember going by there a lot, since I lived right in the neighborhood.

91. David In Oregon says:

Goooood late evening everyone.

Rob@96744 #289: Thanks for the cool K-poi jingle!

Guud evening MLCers!

94. Rob@96744 says:

Boz: you may be right.

Since the campaign is in full swing, here is something for all of you…

95. 91boz says:

“Acid Hill” was a real trip watching your car rolling uphill1!

I remember the area was under construction with new houses being built. Do you remember the street and location? Poola st. comes to mind.

96. Rob@96744 says:

91boz: You had the correct answer, Lin Hon Au. he was actually the bookeeper, and according to what Jacobs told me about 10 years ago, HE named Lin “Coolidge Nakamura”, Coolidge because it had to sound american, and Nakamura to represent the asian populace here. He also told me that the weekly survey with the DJ pictures in front they actually ripped a Japanese actors face and placed it on the cover. Regarding the Coolidge audio/video, the only video I have is from the 35th anniversary reunion the jocks had at the 1701 Ala Wai building while they were renovating it for the new owner. I do have some audio that I will share with you as time permits, i’ll sneak one in here and there to keep everyone’s interest, along with other “goodies” you won’t find anywhere else, so stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel..

Your Acid hill reference was in the ’70s at waialae ridge…

97. 91boz says:

@Rob96744 Did you find any audio or video link to Cooledge Nakamura?

Anyone ever experience “Acid Hill” in the late 60’s?

91boz #322, thanks, you’re a great FBI agent ❗ 🙂

99. 91boz says:

Answer to #168 Funny face #1
    Scroll About half way down Roland Cloutier AKA Chubby Roland.

100. 91boz says:

@Rob96744 #315

So who actually was Cooledge Nakamura in the 60’s? Uncle Tom Moffett or this Lin Hon Lau?

The only thing that stands out about him was his Japanese accent and the time he locked himself in and took over the station. I always thought it was a charecter create by Tom.

#140 Solved?
    I called one of my friends from Key Club days and he said that the restaurant on Komo Mai dr. was called Challet’s.

Good afternoon everyone ❗ 🙂

@sally – Toho, check. I always thought that Toyo was the best because it felt like you were actually going back in time to Japan – that was on College Walk – I can’t believe they tore it down! 🙁

I’m pretty sure that the building that is now the New Life Church on Beretania and Nuuanu started as a japanese theater. It became something like the Empress Theatre afterward. Maybe that was the (new) Kokusai Theater?

@4G: that’s what I meant by “mushi”. LOL ew!

Okay, everyone remember where all the Japanese Theaters were?

Where Champions is now, former Easy Music… was that Nippon Theater?
    Where Pan Am bldg’s Papa John’s used to be Toho.
    Somewhere in downtown was Toyo Theater, the most ornate I can remember but always had to keep your legs tucked under you in the seat cuz rats would run around.
    Kapahulu Theater, home of Kazekozo movies, where Zippys is now (?)
    Where was Kokusai Theater?

Correction to #309, Name the restaurant that was across from the Oasis. The Hawaii Self Storage building is located there. Public Storage is where the Oasis was….

105. Rob@96744 says:

91boz: Yup. BUT..YOU CHEATED! Hanakokolele…
    Sally: the drive in is where Don Quiote is, dont know EXACTLY where the entrance was, could be there at the bank, but I remembered it where the Pan Am building is today, Papa John’s makes sense as that’s where the theatre was too..
    KIKI Mystery 1: Love on My Mind Tonight by the Temptations from 1983,
    KIKI Mystery 2:Jennifer Warnes and Chris Thompson
    Kapiolani Drive Inn was where Wailana is today, and it was home of the 5 for $1 burgers.

@KAN (#291) – no prob. Thanks for the verification of the right answer. 😉

lol @sally: EW! And the maggots! Don’t forget the maggots! 😉

No one went near that big truck that used to come down the street.

I told this story here before, but since there’s a lot of new peeps…

One of my chores when I was little was to take out the slop after dinner. Our Buta KauKau can was in the back yard under the Starfruit Tree.

I grossed out every time I had to open the can, only to be greeted by mushi and stinkiness.

To this day I cannot eat starfruit (Five Finger Fruit) cuz I call it the fruit from the Buta KauKau Tree.

ew. The end.

109. 91boz says:

@Sally The “Buta Kau Kau” man used to come to our school and pick up the slop for the piggery.

@: Rob@96744 Kapiolani Drive In? That was where FHB Kapiolani is now right? They have framed pics in the lobby of what the area used to look like.

Do you guys remember the Buta KauKau Man?

Name the restaurant that was across from the Oasis where the Public Storage building is today….

@C0hiba, the picnic went well except that the night before I got my cooler ready with ice and drinks and left it in my car port and sometime during the night someone ripped it off, Ala Moana beach was so gusty it was the most difficult time I had paddling into the wind and that nobody from the blogs stopped by. Other than that it was great! 🙂

113. 91boz says:

I always thought that Coolidge Nakamura was actually Uncle Tom Moffett.

I remember in the early-mid 60’s Coolidge was a regular guest on Tom Moffett’s show. One time he supposedly snapped and locked the door took over the KPOI studio for a couple of hrs.

On Who Da Guy’s blog Coolidge Nakamura was Lin Hon Au. I don’t know if this is the same person.

114. Rob@96744 says:

91boz: You want Coolidge Nakamura?? I think it can be arranged. Let me dig into the vault for something interesting..Since the ORIGINAL topic here is Q&A…

Today’s question is… What is Coolidge Nakamura’s real name? Did anyone guess the Kapiolani Drive inn and Kapiolani Drive in theatre? Wow so many questions don’t know if it was answered yet..

@C0hiba: I don’t know, I found this vid last year and playlisted it, I wish I’d gone the Bridges to Babylon concert. I went to the 1973 concert at H.I.C. and it was awesome!

116. C0hiba says:

@sally, thanks, doing fine. Just tired.

I just blasted Gimme Shelter in my office. Now that’s how to wake up! Is that the same lady that sings with Clapton?

Good Morning C0hiba! Long time no see, hope all is well.

Visitor… are you around? I saw you at the BonDance last night (from afar). Hello Hello!

Good morning everyone ❗ 🙂

119. C0hiba says:

Wanted to thank all of you for the youtube music selections. It really helps me get through the long days here.

Rob@96744, ankle’s, sally, ct and all the rest of you.

Anyone make it to see the Temptations and the Four Tops? Those old buggah’s still get um. Still wearing those old suits and doing the same dance moves… smooth!

120. C0hiba says:

Good Morning!

@M, how’d the picnic go? Did the road closures affect you at all?

Lots of memories.

Good Morning MLCers!

Wow Rob@96744, thx for sharing that recording. Amazing how “it all comes back” when you hear it.

ankles: another shot of the Stones:
    Gimme Shelter

I wish I could be her in this vid

123. 91boz says:

Good Morning Everyone!

@Rob #289, 290 — Wow blast from the past!

Now all we need is some classic Coolidge Nakamura antics!

124. ct says:

@ankles – You da man … tanks eh for all your tunes …

@rob – #290 – That’s unreal … brings back good memories … shakes up da gray matter … mahalos!

125. ct says:

Good Morning MLCers!!!

Start your day with Hawaii’s version of dueling banjo’s …

Always puts a smile on my face …

Noho Paipai w/ Makaha Sons w/ Jake Shimabukuro

@Rob@96744, #289 and #290, delightful tunes from the past ❗ Thank you ❗ 🙂

@ankles, #288, nice ❗ Thank you ❗ 🙂

Good morning MLCers ❗ 🙂

Good morning Ankles ❗ 🙂

@4G & Seawalker:

Sorry 4G, I didn’t mean to leave you hanging. Ankles was right (I didn’t see his response b/4 posting) – Ulu Mau Village ended up in Kane`ohe, just Kailua side of Heeia Kea pier on Kamehameha Hwy., on a little strip of land that sticks out into Kane`ohe Bay. It’s a state park today.

Seawalker, I don’t know where you were talking about with Ulu Mau Village being between Waiahole & Waikane. UMV was on the way to those two towns, but not in them.

130. Rob@96744 says:

Hey Linda Kato: I think you will like this…I was looking for stuff to upload and found that what I wanted to do was already there, but it is a movie clip, with dialogue. Maybe if anyone out there wants this from a music file w/o dialogue i’ll post it. In the meantime, here it is. Make sure your husband checks this out, as it is his time…

131. Rob@96744 says:

Good morning class, here is something for you to wake up to…
    Hey CT and Mark ’75: Since you say you listened to K-poi, you should remember this.

LK:

..a pop band from Nashville….like ❓

A TOPLESS Saturday Blast From the Past

Rolling Stones – Ruby Tuesday

@ct #284, thanks, very nice ❗ Good night ❗ 🙂

135. ct says:

#284 – oooppps … Should be That’s The Way IT Goes …

136. ct says:

@Linda – One last one then good nite.

The Manhattan Transfer at the Boston Pops – That’s The Way Goes

Good night MLCers ❗ Sweet dreams ❗

@ct 280, delightful, thank you ❗ Haven’t heard that song in decades ❗ 🙂

@91boz – Waipio has a good chance to make the finals. The finals is going to be the toughest. Especially if they run into a Curacao-caliber world team again. But the Hawaii kids have the perfect bodies, mechanics, mentality, support, gamesmanship, etc. for LL baseball. It changes as the kids get older tho.

140. ct says:

@Linda – I had 2 older brothers so didn’t really have a chance for the phone. So I had my radio tuned to K-Poi. Was just looking for some simple carefree music tonite. Howz about

Petula Clark – My Love

@4G, very funnnnny 😆

@91boz, you grad in 1969 ❓ I thought you looked a lot younger than me ❗

4G trying to picture LK with her computer next to her ear! LOL. J/K, LK! 😉

144. ct says:

Da bummers is that I have to meet my father at 10:15 tomorrow so I hope the game is not delayed. Go Waipio!!!

@ct #270, delightful, thank you ❗ When I was a teenager I always had a phone or a transistor radio next to my ear ❗ Now its blogging…. 😆

146. ct says:

@Seawalker – The one thing the Hawaii teams have is solid D. They really know the game. With the big crowds in the regionals, I don’t think they’ll be overwhelmed in Williamsport. Jus hope they are displined at the plate and get the bats going early.

@ct – Hope they throw the kid, Shackles, again. Saw him in the West regional finals. Amazing poise for 11, 12, 13 year olds.

148. 91boz says:

@4G Campbell 69 grad

@Seawalker Should be exciting tomorrow morning.
    It’s cool whenever a Hawaii team gets national attention.

Too bad that Ewa Bronco team that won it all didn’t have much air time. Would have loved to have seen that. I used to play baseball with one of the coaches Mike Hermosua.

@DIO, what have you been drinking tonight ❓ 😆

150. ct says:

@Linda – Howz about some Nancy Sinatra with Rita in the video

Call Me

151. David In Oregon says:

Rod: Do like I do. Use write-in on the ballot. Then you can vote for whomever you think is the most qualified. Rodney Lee for governor!! 😉

152. ct says:

@91boz – I remember meeting some Kiwanians at Buzz’s Steak House. I was a member of the Key Club at Kalani for all 3 years.

@91boz, thanks for the tip ❗

@4G, enjoy ❗ 🙂

@Seawalker, your 90 year old neighbor sounds feisty ❗

154. ct says:

@Seawalker – Hey man … you gotta believe … Go Waipio !!!

@91boz – Think the coach, Brian Yoshii, is the same person I went to school with. But not sure. Went to school with Tadd Fujikawa’s dad.

@LK – My 90 year old widower neighbor enjoys chatting up a storm about sports. It’s more “Hawaii” than “sports” that’s at stake. LOL

Evening all!

I got your e-mail, @LK – thanks again! 😉

@91boz, re: Key Club, what high school did you go to?

157. 91boz says:

LK Practice your video poker. Look for the full pay 9/6 jacks or better machines and you should be ok.

158. 91boz says:

Whatever the outcome all of Hawaii will be behind them. Hard act to follow the 08 Waipio team going all the way!

Guess sports are on your mind, guys ❗

Vegas is on my mind ❗ 🙂

160. 91boz says:

Go Waipio! They going get revenge against Georgia for the Sugar Bowl beating.

@ct – Hey, you think Waipio get chance or what tomorrow? Told my wife we had to do the Costco run tonight so no interruptions tomorrow on TV.

162. 91boz says:

My vote goes to Willie Manuwilli!

I set the DVR a couple of days ago and was out for dinner. I going vote for Bu Lai’a

164. 91boz says:

@CT Yep, I was in the Key Club Jr and Sr year.

I remember every month 2 of us from the club was chosen to attend the monthly dinner meeting at this restaurant. I cannot recall the name but it was a steak house.

All I remember besides the food was that we all had to sing corny Kiwanis songs.

One song I remember was instead of “As the caissons go marching along” We sang “As the Kiwanis go marching along”

165. ct says:

@Rodney #251 – No worry you nevah miss nothing. Same ol’ same ol’. Should’ve told you, set my DVR then turned on the TV and saw Oprah, so taped it from 8 to 9.

Rod, you didn’t read the scroll at the bottom of the TV apologizing for the delay. The debate was at 8:00PM. Trust me, you didn’t miss anything ❗ Vote for Duke ❗

We’re going to Vegas on 10/8/10, wanted some pointers ❗ Sure miss Rodney’s “Vegas Baby!” blog ❗

168. 91boz says:

Speaking of Glades. One of my high school classmates used to perform there.
    He went by the name of Bernie something. He or I should say she, went all the way. Complete $ex change.

WTH? I set the DVR to tape the goobernatorial debate and all I got was the Oprah show and 5 minutes of the debate. How do they expect us to make educated decisions when they can’t even schedule the right time!?!

Oh well, back to flipping a coin…

Mark’75 @247, “$aint John of Las Vegas”, thought it would feature Vegas but half way through they didn’t get to Vegas yet……

171. ct says:

@91boz – #240 You were Key Club? Don’t know where my previous post went, hope this is not a double post.

Ok, Seawalker, believable ❗ 😆

LINDA KATO #245:Was that the JUNK movie you were watching?

It was the bus rides to and from McKinley that burned the memories of Hotel Street into my mind. That, and I had a Chinese friend who liked to eat at Mini Garden. LOL (@LK, I’m innocent!)

Rod, we watched the gubernatorial debate tonight, nothing exciting or new with both candidates ❗

176. 91boz says:

#238 Action Theater?

Rod & Seawalker, right ❗ And, both of you have also never been to “Arirang” Right ❗ ❓

@Rodney, it was the Aquarius Theater on Hotel Street. Uh…been there with the gang from high school.

Aquarius, IIRC.

Okay, I going go watch the goobernatorial debate on DVR. Be back later…

180. 91boz says:

Anyone familiar with the Pearl City Area?
    In my senior year Key Club the leeward Kiwanis used to meet at a restaurant once a month on Komo Mai Dr. where The Children House is located now. Does anyone know the name of the restaurant?

If I’m not mistaken there was also a driving range right next where the houses are now.

Lido or Arquarius? LOL

@Seawalker – or the same street. hyuk, hyuk

What was the name of the Theater that showed Deep Throat & Behind the Green Door for a couple of years? And for the record, never been there. 😆

Man @Rod, we on the same wave length. LOL

Another…near Club Hubba Hubba was Glades. Who was the star performer at Glades? And for the record, never been there.

I think was the Glades.

Speak of Hotel Street – what was the establishment that starred Prince Hanalei?

Dang, you guys are way better than me. That didn’t even last 5 minutes. Yes, @Rod, it was The Hub.

@Rob@96744 – Temptations!?! – but you have a Brownbags to Stardom album cover!

Wow, The Hub. Haven’t heard that in a looong time!

Funny, the ‘Hub’ that comes to mind on Hotel St. is “Hubba Hubba!”

@Seawalker – Nope. Not Zippys tonight. Korean food from Chongs BBQ (next to Sugoi).

@Mark’75 – #215 – Right, Universal Motors!

btw, it was the Pearlridge, Mapunapuna, Ala Moana hint. Especially the Mapunapuna.

@Seawalker – The Hub

@Mark – Nope. The store name was rather short. LOL

Actually, we had a late lunch at Zippy’s today, our favorite restaurant ❗

Hey, guys am watching a junk movie, checking in to see what I missed ❗ Talking about me, huh ❗ Yes, I can whip up a dinner in 30 minutes. 1 hour for stew ❗ 😆

#223: Sato Clothier?

Okay, name the store in the 70’s on the corner of Hotel and Bethel. They sold clothing.

198. Rob@96744 says:

91boz:FINALLY someone got it. Rodney, you gettin old.

199. Rob@96744 says:

Seawalker: ASK RODNEY>>>about da openings<<<<, he knows more about jobs here than me, i'm just a small potato office guy here..Rodney, you listening??? I do know that we ARE LOOKING for drivers, can teach you how 2 drive daBus…Check out http://www.thebus.org for current employment opportunities here.

200. 91boz says:

Rob@96744 #55 Temptations

@Rob – LOL. I’ll bet you LK can whip up a doosie. Hey, you guys got openings at The Bus? Not as a driver, but perhaps in the office?

202. ct says:

@Rob – BTW, I agree Buck’s was da bes sweet bread

203. Rob@96744 says:

Seawalker#213, Dinner is now being served at Linda Kato’s house, she is serving Beef Stew with Buck’s Bakery sweetbread on the side…

204. Rob@96744 says:

ct#207: Alan left OTS about 10 years ago…
    Rodney#211,NOPE..Hint: They appeared here VERY RECENTLY… #212:NOPE..Wrong on BOTH counts.Hint: The guy in the song has the same last name as one of the actor/actress in the movie, the gal is known for a song called “Its the “____ _____ of the ____”

#209: Wild guess…Universal Motors?

@Rodney #158: Yes!

Howzit @Rod? What, Zippy’s for dinner? LOL

@Rob@96744 – KIKI Mystery 2 song.
    Is that Anne Murray’s voice?
    And Kenny Loggins?

@Rob@96744 – #55 – I cheated. I used the Shazam app on my iPhone. But no matter – it didn’t recognize the tune either. LOL

Good evening!

@4G – Ulu Mau Village. Remember the controversy in the 70’s? There’s an open grassy area at the foot of Waiakane and Waiahole. That’s where a lot of people pull over to look at Chinaman’s Hat. We actually took an excursion there to Ulu Mau Village in elementary and to Waiakane/Waiahole in intermediate school. If you’re ever around the area on a Friday or Saturday, they got good Hawaiian eats for lunch at this hole-in-the-wall joint nearby.

***

Ho, you guys are good. Most of my memories began from the 80’s to now. That’s when I got my first car. LOL

Okay, here’s a commercial that was sung to the tune of “These Boots Were Made For Walking”.

“Meet us now at 630 Piikoi,
    la-di-da-di-di, la-di-da-di-da”

***
    158. Mark’75 Says:
    August 20th, 2010 at 1:15 pm edit

Another old local jingle:

“So if at work
    you just could never,
    ever really seem to put it
    all together,
    Won’t you come in and see what’s new,
    ______ has it just for you.”
    ***
    Hopaco?

213. ct says:

@Rob #205 – Cool … you get ’em … seems just a little before my time … my father used to have a Plymouth Belvedere … can’t remember what year it was. Have a classmate that was a bus driver … A. Kepa … but don’t know if he still is … as I have not seen him in many years.

Rob@96744, must be nice to YOU ❗ Will be picking up the CD’s you made for me tomorrow. Thank you so much ❗ Did you give Rod your address so I can send you a formal thank you ❓

215. Rob@96744 says:

ct: I remember in the early 60’s my dad taking me in his ’57 BelAir to Kapiolani Drive in theatre, I was sitting in the back seat watching the trees go by passing the Pontiac dealership, (going east on Kapiolani, then turning LEFT into the Drive in… Kapiolani Coffee Shop was in the Aloha Motors Complex..Kapiolani Theatre was where Papa John’s is now.. If you’re wondering why I can guess some of this stuff, i’ve been driving around town for 30+ years as a City Bus Driver/Supervisor…

Rob@96744 #202, no, that was not me. I’m actually a good cook but I don’t like it ❗

217. ct says:

@Mark’75 & @Rob #197 – You get ’em but Rob Sheesshhh … you wen figgah out what my next my next question … wuz goin be Kau Kau Korner …
    Not familiar with Kapiolani Drive In Theatre. Know where Kapiolani Theatre was … and know where Kapiolani Coffee Shop wuz … wow … this is exploding some gray matter now …

218. Rob@96744 says:

LK: Someone once told me in converstion about a lady that burned a hole in the “automatic” rice cooker. WAS THAT YOU??? hehehe..

Across Oasis Nightclub. Can remember Tongan tree trimmers, Schuman Used Cars, Kirby Vacuum Cleaner, and the…Recon Station!!! Hmm, so far, no restaurant comes to mind…

220. Rob@96744 says:

Mark#186, Kaimuki Toyota was on Waialae/6th, Waialae/7th is where Zippy’s is, and before that was Byron’s, hence the round top shaped like the hat…

#167, the restaurant across from Oasis was called “HALE NANEA RESTAURANT” which my husband said had good food there. I have never heard of it ❗ Have any of you ever dined there ❓

Rob@96744 #194, make it myself ❗ Are you serious ❓ Did you not read about my complaints about how hot I was making stew a few weeks ago ❓ I have a virgin cookbook signed by Sam Choy which I have not ever opened ❗ And, a dozen other cookbooks, never opened ❗ Cooking is not my passion, having had to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for my family since I was 11 years old.

However, if you want to make some for me, tell me where I can pick it up 😆

223. Rob@96744 says:

ct: No more brain cells left. Forgot what I ate for lunch today…but I do remember that Coco’s was there before Hard Rock, and before Coco’s was Kau Kau Korner. Do you know where Kapiolani Drive in was? and Kapiolani Drive in Theatre??

Cocos.

91boz #191, yes, it was across from Oasis nightclub and not Forbidden City (gotta excuse him, senior moment) ❗ You are very warm. What was the name of the restaurant ❓

226. Rob@96744 says:

Linda Kato#171, My FB page has a reference to this, Bucks Bakery was next to Honolulu Stadium, Gate#1 where you would show usher John Dias “passes only”. Bucks Bakery did indeed have the best sweet bread, and if you want to make it yourself the receipe is in “What Hawaii Likes To Eat”..

227. ct says:

@Rob – Too good … you still get good kine brain cells.

Okay one simple one.

What was the restaurant that was there before Hard Rock Cafe at Kalakaua and Kapiolani

4G, where are you ❓ Go read your email ❗

229. 91boz says:

@LK #167 Is that close to where Oasis nightclub used to be?

Mark’75 #187, now that you gave him the location, he recalls Capitol Drive In, across from St. Patrick School which he attended.

231. Rob@96744 says:

Ct#172 Island Federal, Where your money Groows..

232. ct says:

@91boz #177 – Pretty close but incorrect

Oh, correction, Waialae and 6th Ave.

LINDA KATO, the oldtimers said Capitol (or is it Capital?) Drive In was on the corner of Waialae and 7th Ave where Kaimuki Toyota was. I just looked at them with a blank stare.

Mark’75, no, my husband does not recall “Capitol Drive In”. He lived in Kahala and attended Kalani High School in the 60’s.

236. 91boz says:

@LK No not Art Linkletter. It was a local kids show around the time of Sgt Sacto. He could have been a regular on one of those shows but I think he had his own show.

@Mark75 Yea that was a classic commercial. I bet they sold a lot of Pao Duce.

LINDA KATO: He remembers, LOL. I wonder if he remembers Capitol Drive In. Some oldtimers at work were talking about this place and I went…Hah????

238. David In Oregon says:

Donald Duck Drive In? Now it makes sense. That would explain the painting (or was it a sign) featuring Donald Duck.

239. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everyone!!

91boz, “Kini Popo Show”, funny face numbah 1, funny face numbah 2….. ❓

@91boz #169: Yeah, I remember Lucky Luck in the Leonard’s Pao Duce commercials. Was either him or Jesse Kalima singing:
    “You come my house,
    We eat Pao Duce,
    That’s the Leonard’s style…” Ho, the memories!

91boz #177, Art Linkletter ❓

243. 91boz says:

@LK, No this was before Lucky Luck.

Yes too bad, Bucks sweet bread was so ono!

@CT Was that Pioneer Savings?

Mark’75, yes, he does ❗ He’s having a birthday in a few days, 65 years young ❗ 🙂

@LINDA KATO: I bet your older spouse remembers DONALD DUCK Drive In!!!!

@ct: I remember seeing the clock from the Chuckwagon parking lot, but I can’t recall the business…

Rob@96744, #164: Thanks for the Primo jingle. It’s different from the one I described which went to the tune of “Hey Look Me Over.”

#158 Hint: They had stores in Ala Moana, Pearlridge, and Mapunapuna.

248. ct says:

Good Evening MLCers!!!

Wow everyone get good kine memory. Sheeeshhh … you guys get em all … hahahaha

OK howz about this one. Hope I get em right … depending on the old brain cells … hahaha

What was across the HIC (Now NBC) at Ward and Kapiolani. Hint: Used to have a digital clock that also showed the temperature.

Hi again, 91boz. Yes, I recall “Bucks Sweet Bread” ❗ No one has ever made sweet bread as good as they did ❗ I miss their bread too ❗ 🙁

Hi, 91boz, #168. If you go back to #138 Visitor’s comments stated that Lucky Luck did the “funny face” contest. Is this correct ❓ I remember the contest but don’t recall which host on TV did this.

251. 91boz says:

Hey you guys remember Lucky Luck doing the Leonards Bakery Pao Duce commercial? I can still see him breaking it in half and taking in all the aroma of the fresh baked bread.

Made you want to go out and buy some.

Remember Bucks sweet bread? We used to have to sell it in school every year for some kind of fundraiser. I don’t recall what the fundraiser was for but the bread so soft and delicious.
    I sure miss that.

252. 91boz says:

@Rob@96744 Correct on #91
    Yep forgot about Dillingham.

Here’s one that goes way back.
    What local kid show entertainer used to go around and frame the kids faces and say “Funny face number one, funny face number two … “

#166, This restaurant was located across from Forbidden City. Corrected cross streets were: Waialae, Kapiolani & King.

Anyone recall the name of the restaurant at the intersection of Beretania St., Harding Ave and Waialae Avenue ❓

My older spouse (older than me) that grew up in Kahala wants to know if any more old guys are reading this blog.

255. Rob@96744 says:

Gotta run (again). Will return later…

256. Rob@96744 says:

Linda k, your husband is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT..Good Job…Mark 75′ here it is…

@Rob@96744 #157, before Jolly Rogers Waialae, it was called “Mynah Bird Drive Inn” according to my husband who grew up in Kahala.

258. Rob@96744 says:

Mark, I have one of his primo commercials, but I don’t think it is the one you described, let me dig it out, it’s been about 15 years since it was transferred. I’ll post whatever primo one it is tomorrow if i find it, along with a Kpoi jingle just for you…

259. David In Oregon says:

Mark’75 (#88): Hawaiian Host is correct.

260. Keoni says:

OK, seems nobody could answer #52 A (what? too far back up fo MLC’ers to remember? LOL).
    The answer is: Edmunds Hotel Apartments. It’s the place I stayed da first time I came to Hawai’i.

***
    119 Mark’75 Says:
    August 20th, 2010 at 11:16 am edit

Fill in the blank:

Hey taste that _____
    Real Hawaiian Beer.
    So cool and refreshing,
    One beer brewed right here.
    ***

I’ve been trying to remember that jingle for a couple of years now! Used to hear it when my dad used to listen to Islander baseball on KGU!

Verse 2:
    Brewed here in Hawaii,
    With water pure and fresh,
    something, something, something,
    Makes Primo beer the best.

And the ending went something like:
    For people who drink Primo beer,
    Taste Primo beer and say,
    something, something, something,
    Let’s have a Primo beer today.

@Rob@96744 – Think Tom Moffatt has that jingle someplace?

Another old local jingle:

“So if at work
    you just could never,
    ever really seem to put it
    all together,
    Won’t you come in and see what’s new,
    ______ has it just for you.”

263. Rob@96744 says:

Gotta run. BUT..Lastly, here’s another one for you. Where Kahala Zippy’s is, before that it was Jolly Roger. BEFORE THAT, what was it called??? Uncle Jimmy, this is around your time, I think…

@Rob@96744 – oh, okay – didn’t know that that was the right answer. Thnx!

265. Rob@96744 says:

4G, like it was mentioned earlier, it’s around the bend from the Heeia pier, don’t know if it’s still there because I haven’t driven by lately…

266. Rob@96744 says:

Rodney#113; Kinda remember something like that, but I didn’t go there because we used to stay at the Point until the next morning, then walk across the street to the beach…

Hey @Rob@96744 – I’m just dying to know. Do you know where Ulu Mau Village relocated to? LOL.

268. Visitor says:

@ Mark’75 – You saw it too!?! It was so long ago and who would think that someone else saw and remembered it!!!! But I suppose that if you saw it, you’d never forget it. I recall I couldn’t stop laughing…Bozo was stunned.

@Visitor – I think I heard that before. Yup, live TV (and kids)!

Gotta wonder what happened to that kid (undoubtedly a boy!) when he got home . . . .

LOL – I remember actually having my mouth washed out with soap – pretty disgusting. But I could never understand the reasoning. LOL. I mean, it’s not as though it stopped me from saying “bad words” – it just made me more careful around my parents! LOL.

Mark’75 #147, no that was not me ❗ I went to church every Sunday and did not swear ❗ 🙂

Oh wow, Visitor saw the same thing!

272. Visitor says:

@4G #140 – Also, before KHNL, it was KTRG (Channel 13).

Sheriff Ken was actually Ken Alfred, the jazz trumpeter. He used to dress as a cowboy sheriff.

LINDA KATO: Hope you weren’t the famous contestant rolling the raw egg on the floor with her nose.
    The girl’s egg broke and she said, “Aw s__t!”
    Bozo said, “That’s a Bozo no-no.”
    The girl replied, “F__k you clown!”
    Wasn’t live TV great?!

@Visitor, you must be old too if you recall all of THAT ❗ 😆

Of course, I was the “polite kid” ❗

275. Visitor says:

Those telecasts were all live. Once on the Bozo the Clown show, a kid was unhappy that he lost a contest. The kid said something after he lost. Bozo told the kid, “That was a Bozo no -no.” The kid tells Bozo, “F_ck you, you stupid clown!” Yes, live television.

@Rob@96744 #141, delightful blast from the past, thank you ❗ 🙂

yeah, Lucky Luck had one of those plastic mallets, with the ribbed colored plastic ends that would squeak when it hit something. He would sometimes whack kids or himself on the head with it.

Oh wow, @LK – you SOMEBODY, huh (guest on Bozo the Clown)? LOL.

279. Rob@96744 says:

Sally; Since you like Jay & the Americans, this one is for you(and other MLC followers, of course)…It’s not raining, though..

@Visitor: LOL I didn’t know there was something before KHON! Of the shows you mention, I can only recall Bozo . . . .

@visitor #136, I was a guest on “Bozo the Clown”, my 5 min. of fame ❗ 😆

282. Visitor says:

@Mark ’75 – Lucky Luck used to have the “funny face” contest and would also say, “Play in your own backyard.”

@Mike in Waipio (#133) – that’s the one!

@Mark’75 – Lucky Luck had a TV show? I didn’t know that, but that’s a pretty cool closer. 😉

For some odd reason, Primo beer always brings up an image of Lucky Luck for me. LOL.

284. Visitor says:

Other kid’s shows: Sheriff Ken (KONA TV…before KHON), Skipper Jack and Bozo The Clown (both on KGMB).

Wow, Mark’75, you must be old ❗ I remember the name of THAT show but NOT the closing remarks ❗ 😆

I remember around the time of Checkers and Pogo and Captain Honolulu, KHON had a kid’s show, “The Lucky Luck Show.”
    My favorite was the way Lucky Luck would close his show. It went, “Well boys and girls, that’s the end of the show. You better be good to your parents, or else I going come your house and bus’ you up!”

287. Mike in Waipio says:

@4G: Mark’75 (#127) got the show and host. The sign was made by joining the thumb and index of each hand; then putting the two hands together at the thumb/index; then rotating the hands inward (meaning the right counter-clockwise and the left clockwise) until the six free fingers rest on your cheeks. You then look through the loops made by your thumb/index formation as if they were goggles.

Masako #22, “Thank you very much” is “Lex Brodie” 🙂

@LK (#129) – yup! Upside-down glasses! 😉

@LK – Mark’75 (#127) got it. I was trying to steer people away from Romper Room with the question, but I guess it didn’t work! LOL.

Mark’75 #127, I think you are right ❗ His call sign was putting his fingers over his face to look like glasses….

@4G #124, are you referring to “ROMPER ROOM” with “Robin Mann” ❓ Call sign, I don’t recall.

#124: Captain Honolulu. Sgt. Sacto.

@LK – LOL, you don’t drink beer and I don’t remember that jingle! 😉

Hi, 4G ❗ And, I don’t drink beer ❗ 🙂

Hi, LK. Primo would be my guess, too! 😉

Donald Duck Drive-in. Really??? LOL.

Checkers and Pogo was a local program on KGMB for kids that basically showed cartoons. If memory serves me right, I believe there was an earlier local program for kids on KHVH called? I could never figure out if the name of the show was ______ _______, how come the host’s name was ______ _______? And who remembers the “call sign”?

297. Rob@96744 says:

Ankles#110. Yup. Rodney #111, There was a guy in Kapahulu (don’t wanna mention his name) who did sell parts out of his house at all hours. BUT, Midnight Auto Parts usually is in reference to Auto Thieves. You know the story, you tell me what you want, and i’ll get it for you…Rodney #116, you’re smart. Thought it would take longer to guess that one..Mark#119, PRIMO.

@sally #62, delightful memories, thank you ❗ 🙂

Yeah, one of their jingles over the years.

Mark’75 #119, PRIMO ❓

Fill in the blank:

Hey taste that _____
    Real Hawaiian Beer.
    So cool and refreshing,
    One beer brewed right here.

#117 DONALD DUCK??!!! Donald Duck Drive In…wow, no wonder I didn’t know it, must really have been before my time.

@Mark’75 – hint: His nephews names are Hewey, Dewey, & Lewey.

#101 – Jet Burger?

Yup, the banquet rooms were on the street level, set in from the sidewalk. We had our sophmore banquet there.

#108: Whaaaat, a cartoon character who doesn’t wear pants?????? I’m really stumped now…

@Rob@96744 – Do you remember anything about a secret place that bartenders and club workers used to go to after theIr clubs closed? Because it was illegal to sell liquor after 4:00 AM, this place was like a Members Only type club.

@Rod (#67): a) the head shop was also Stone Free; and b) yup, remember those banquet rooms.

@Mark’75 (#100): I think the banquet rooms were on the ground floor.

@Rob@96744 (#101): the drive-in on Lagoon Drive. Was it Andy’s?

Does anyone know of a place called Midnight Auto Parts? A guy operated this place out of his home during the late nights for hot rodders cruising the night and needed emergency car parts. Who remembers where this place was?

Rob@96744:

Brandon Rodd

@mark’75 – Shari’s Drive In!

I know! My FIL told me. A cartoon character who doesn’t wear pants but yet comes out of the shower with a towel wrapped around this waist.
    I think they had to change the name due to copyright purposes.

Another trivia question:

This drive in’s slogan was “Home of the dollar plate lunch.”

Rob@96744, The name must really be before our time because I can’t think of any cartoon characters for a drive in.

315. Rob@96744 says:

Mark, i’m ’74, and you’re ’75 so we both know it as Bea’s.. Hint: It’s named after a cartoon character…

Rob@96744, you got me stumped there! I always knew the place as Bea’s. In fact, in high school I applied to work there but because I was into sports, she turned me down. Same thing happened when Kapahulu Zippy’s first opened. Very interested to know the former name of Bea’s though…might ring a bell.

#93b: to add to my foggy memory, I recall a green carpeted stairway in the area between Sears and Old Navy.

And in my earliest memories of the area, I remember Jeanne Lu Toy Store near Old Navy’s location with the painted pegboard paneled walls. In the ’80s, I saw the Jeanne Lu Toy Store in Kailua and walked in. Talk about a deja vu moment! It had the same painted pegboard paneled walls and I had a nice talk with the owners about their Ala Moana Center days.

318. Rob@96744 says:

Ankles, we don’t wanna leave you out, so.. Name the Arizona State offensive lineman that recently graduated (less than 3 yrs), that played for AIEA high school…

319. Rob@96744 says:

Mark ’75, since youre a Bulldog, you should know this one. Across from Kaimuki High, when you were attending KHS was BEA’s Drive Inn, where they had the BEST Roast Turkey on fridays. The question 1)is, Beatrice the proprietor change the name to Beas from ____ ____ Drive in. 2) She also ran another Drive in on Lagoon Drive, called ____ .

@Rodney: #93 b: Were the banquet rooms upstairs of Hotei-ya, or on the ground level? Kinda foggy there…

321. Rob@96744 says:

Mark, you’re fast. Couldn’t type fast enough.

322. Rob@96744 says:

Kupacha Racing parts(Kupacha Katathira) was on the Mauka side of King Street, across from Mother Rice Kindergarten, where Fukuyas is, Next to Island Cue, who was owned by his brother, “Sambo” that made news a few years later when he disappeared in broad daylight from MACs Market on Monsarrat…

#96: South King Street in Moiliili, where Fukuya Catering is.

Who remembers where Kupacha Racing parts was?

@Mark’75 – #86 – Fisher Hawaii. “Let’s all go to Fisher Hawaii, Mapunana Paa street store”.
    I can’t erase that song out of my head. btw, I don’t think it was Hilo Hattie that sang it. It was a bigger lady. IIRC.

Rob@96744: Yup, was the jingle from the ’70s.

@4G – #67 – a) Don’t recall the name of the head shop, but I remember Stonefree Waterbeds.
    b) Remember the banquet rooms next to Hotei-ya?

328. Rob@96744 says:

Mark ’75; I believe it’s Longs Drug Store

329. Rob@96744 says:

91 boz #83, A} Sammy Amalu and B)REWALD, you forgot to add DILLINGHAM

Looks like she lost a lot of that “baby fat”…even par after 12 holes…

331. Rob@96744 says:

4G#71, at King/Ward was Trader Vics, and across the street where Blaisdell Center (the whole block) was the Ward estate. Ron Uemura, the proprietor of “Ron’s Performance, AKA Rons Racing Parts”, was THE place for hot rodders. Didn’t need to hotrod, tho, my 442 was a 12 second FACTORY car (slight home mods cuz no money then), 4mpg with no ac or radio. No antenna either for that matter…

#51: Hawaiian Host?

A jingle from a place I worked at just after high school:
    “Shop today at _____ ____ where they make the price behave,
    All your neighbors shop at _____,
    Where all Hawai’i saves.
    More than just a drug store,
    Thousands of things galore!
    They’re mighty long on value,
    at _____ ____ _____.”

#46: Atlas Building Supply
    #47: Consumer City

Here’s one: Hilo Hattie sang, “Come out to ______ ______, next to Gibson, Mapunapuna Pa’a Street Store…”
    Hint: “The only office product supermarket in town.”

335. kathi says:

@4G: LOL I do like muscle cars a lot, but I’m far, far from an expert and sadly don’t own one at the moment.

@4G: nope. Hint: Rob@96744 should know . . .

337. 91boz says:

Good Morning Everyone!

Got up late and all the trivia was answered so I have a couple.

1. I made the news the 60’s. Known as Hawaii’s Greatest Con Man. Wrote a column for the Advertiser while in prison.
    2. Speaking of con men “Bishop, Baldwin, ______, and Wong”

@kathi – yes, Ron’s! My, you really are the speed demon, huh? LOL. 😉

339. kathi says:

Good morning, all (actually coming up on noon here in the vast midwestern wasteland)!

@4G (#72): Ron’s Racing Parts/Ron’s High Performance? And I think I’m confusing it with a speed shop here… !

340. David In Oregon says:

Ah, so that’s where Hotei-Ya was. I could never remember where they were, as the store closed when I was still a little kid.

@DiO – oops, misread #76. That’s the answer to #67, b).

@DiO – yes, Hotei-Ya!

Ulu Mau Village – wasn’t that just past the stink bridge heading towards Kahaluu, right at that hairpin turn before the pier ❓

344. David In Oregon says:

where was Hotei-Ya in Ala Moana?

@sally – yes, Records Hawaii; Iida’s was mauka side, so not Iida’s; yes, India Imports!

b) are you thinking Iida’s? Wasn’t that on the mauka side? Or is it a diff store altogether?

c) India Imports.

@4G: a) Record Hawaii

What was the name of “THE” speed shop (no, not that kind “speed”! LOL) in the 70’s?

You could buy your Cragar mags, Hedman headers, Hurst shifters, Edelbrock manifolds, Holly carbs, Mallory ignitions, etc. there . . . .

@Kan (#65) – I want to say like where TGI Fridays is/was on the corner of King and Ward?

@Seawalker (#41) – so, did it work? Did it work? LOL. Definitely great stuff . . . . LOL.

LOL, DiO! 😉

352. David In Oregon says:

4G: I’m ass-uming that if you used that kine stuff, you probably don’t remember the name of the stores. 😆

Wow—you are all so quick, plus, I wouldn’t have a clue to the correct answers to most of those questions! LOL.

a) Remember 404 Piikoi Street (across Ala Moana Shopping Center)? The “mega mart” for tunes back then that was located there was? Then, there was a head shop to the left of the tunes “mega mart”, facing Ewa. What was the name of the head shop? Hey, M – no fair; I know you know the answer to this one! 😉 LOL.

b) In Ala Moana Center, ground floor (if I am recalling right – LOL) – about where Old Navy is now. Before Old Navy, it was like a Woolworth’s, yes? What was there before Woolworth’s? If I remember right, it was a japanese store . . . .

c) A little further Diamond Head from Old Navy was another “eastern store”. Though it had a small collection of some head shop stuff amongst its wares, I don’t think it was really a head shop. Name that “eastern” store.

@ Sally, #61: Wigwam?

@Rob96744 & Keoni: where did Ulu Mau village move to?

Happy Friday everyone!

356. David In Oregon says:

sally: never mind, I think I know. Would the name of the store be a hint to its logo ❓

357. David In Oregon says:

sally: local (Hawaii) store, or mainland one?

To tag on to ankles’ Jay & the Americans:

Come A Little Bit Closer

Good Morning MLCers!

Happy Statehood Day and Chee Huuu for those who have the holiday. No Chee Huuu for me.

@ankles: Like : )

@Rob@96744: I’m stumped… and too lazy to cheat. LOL I’ll wait for the answer and get surprised.

Here’s my Trivia contribution: What store’s logo was an Indian Teepee?

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Aloha Friday ❗ 🙂

@ankles #59, love it ❗ Thank you ❗ 🙂

LK:

..a 32 year old American musician from Connecticut…..like ❓

sally: TRIAD IV pick ❓

Statehood day’s Blast From the Past…..

Dusty Springfield – The look of love

Sorry, can’t help you on Hawaii questions….but ask me anything Arizonan and you might win a prize 😆

364. Rob@96744 says:

OK guys and gals, here is a easier one, from about the same time, the title is a no brainer, name the TWO artists…Again, no cheating on Google or You Tube searches…

365. Rob@96744 says:

Hello fellow MLC’ers, since we’re thinking of old times, I was thinking that so far i’ve posted stuff that “old school” 80’s fans here might not remember, so here’s one for you guys/gals. Back in about 1983 I used to spend my sunday evenings at KIKI, and the night DJ Shawn “til dawn” Sweeney used to play mostly easy listening/ slow music cause he came on at midnight or so. Well, one evening he told me to listen to the song that i’m posting here, and I really liked it. When he told me who it was I couldn’t believe it because they sounded really different. Here it is, and try to guess who this group is…No cheating on Google, play fair…

366. Keoni says:

Well, it didn’t take long, but at least I did stump ya on A. You’d probably have to have been a tourist to get that one. I’ll leave it unanswered for the time being just in case…

367. Rob@96744 says:

Keoni:A:???B:Honolulu Book Store C:Arakawa’s D: Ulu Mau Village

368. Keoni says:

Hey Rod, where are you going for the Bon dance? If it’s on Nu’uanu Ave., I live right across the street and have GOT to meet you!
    Since everyone wen answered the questions already, I’ll throw in a few I remember from when I first visited Hawai’i in 1980 (I remember Patti’s in its’ original location at AMC and Foodland was where the food court is now, I think):

A. This 8 unit apartment hotel was on Ala Wai Blvd. between Ka’iulani & Lili’uokalani Aves. It was run by Amy Lau & named after her husband.

B. This store at AMC carried every kind of reading material you could want.

C. You could find just about anything you needed at this store in Waipahu. Listen for the rooster!

D. This Hawaiian cultural site was located in Ala Moana Park in the 1960’s.

These will probably be a piece of cake for you who have lived here all your lives, but I hope it brings back a good memory or two for you.

369. David In Oregon says:

my turn…

commercial for a product:

“…the gift of aloha, Hawaii’s gift to the world.” If I’m not mistaken, it was sung by Glenn Medeiros.

370. David In Oregon says:

48: Security Diamond & Conrad Jewelers

371. David In Oregon says:

45: The House of Adler

“____ ____ & ____ ____ – on the two busiest corners of Ala Moana Center”.

“… or my name ain’t Josephine!”

“Hi, my name a Lee Chang, president of a ____ ____ ____”

“If you’re not buying from ___ ____ __ ____, you are paying too much”

@DIO – No, not Ocean Lovers. LOL

@Seawalker #30 – yes Kojak’s. Who was the celebrity that owned it?

As for your Zamzar – should’ve been there. Check your spam box.

Good night MLCers ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 🙂

@4G, @Rod – Tried Zamzar.com this afternoon. Still waiting for my email of the digital Youtube song. Selected MP3. If it works, good stuff. LOL. No, make that great stuff. Pake!

380. David In Oregon says:

Rodney #29: Ocean Lover’s? 😆

Seawalker, yes, tomorrow is Admission’s Day, a State holiday ❗ 🙂

Kenny’s, at the Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi.

@LK – Very good, thank you. I’m surprised I can stay up tonight. I blame work. Normally, am goofing off 1/2 of the time. Been goofing off only 1/4. LOL. You’re off tomorrow, right?

@Seawalker, Kenny’s Coffee House ❓

@Seawalker, Longs Drugs ❓

@Rod #28, 😳 too late…..

_________, at the Kam Shopping Center in Kalihi.

Good evening, Seawalker ❗ Good answer, sounds right ❗ 🙂

How are you ❓

@Rod, see #14 post, I got #7, Sears Roebuck before I googled ❗

Kojak’s?

This lounge was located on Young Street, close to Kalakaua Ave. It was owned by a bolohead celebrity as the name reflects it. (get it, bolohead, reflects) hyuk, hyuk. Toma/Natto used to play there.

What’s the name of this place?

Aw, forgot to add the disclaimer: No googling allowed. 😆

11. Patti’s Chinese Kitchen & Lyn’s Delicatessen
    12. Benihana
    13. Wo Fat
    14. Lahainaluna

Answers courtesy of “google” ❗ 🙂

395. David In Oregon says:

Oooh yeah, we did miss #3. I have no idea what that is.

No Huhu its ________

@DIO, no, we don’t have a clue to question #3.

@Rodney “Go now Hawaii, Why pay more?” Consumer Tire……
    Brings to mind “Thank you very much”

399. David In Oregon says:

Masako: You and Linda are too fast. By the time I read the first two questions, you both had answered everything. 😆

Masako, smart lady 🙂

@Linda- Yep!

@Linda – I knew some and some are just guesses. I like quizzes

Masako #16, Chunky’s ❓

Anyone remember the drive-in was across the old Honolulu Stadium?

DIO #13 😆

#7, Sears Roebuck ❓

407. David In Oregon says:

Linda: no, actually, I’m playing Farmville.

Masako #10, Wow, you’re great with trivia ❗ 🙂

10. Bales
    11. Pattys
    12. Benihanas?
    13. Wo Fat?
    14. Lahainaluna?

411. David In Oregon says:

I guess this one is Shirokiya.

2.) This name literally means “white tree store”, and was founded in
    1662 in Edo , Japan as a drapery and notions store.

#11, and Patti’s Chinese Restaurant.

@DIO #3, 😆

@LK – You’re only half correct on #11. 😆

Wow! And all posted with the same time stamp!

#9, Chun Hoon Super Market.

#11, Lyn’s Delicatessen.