Do You Remember… Little League Baseball

Since Waipio is doing Hawaii proud, I thought we’d remember our small kid time baseball days.

First off – GO WAIPIO!

I grew up playing baseball as did my 3 older brothers.  It was in the Kainalu Little League.  Lots of friends from Kainalu and Aikahi elementary schools played in that league.

Back in our day, it started off at 8 years old, playing T-ball.  Then for the next 3 or 4 years, it was the Minor league, and then the Major league.  But I never did make it to the Majors, I opted to stay in the minor league throughout my little league career.  LOL  I could only play 3 years in Little League.  Something to do with my birthday being before Aug. 1 so my baseball age was actually 1 year older that what I really was.

Our team was the Yankees for 2 years, the then Cubs for my last year.  But it was a good 3 years.  We took first place every one of those years.  And it was my dad who was the manager for each of those 3 years.

1968, 1969, 1970 Champs

For the first couple of years, I played outfield.  IIRC, it was left field.  Then during my last 2 years in the Minor league, I played catcher.  If you liked to get dirty – catching was the position to play.  Back in those days, there was no such thing as a catcher’s helmet.  It was the face mask, chest protector, shin guards and the catcher’s mitt.

Oh yeah, and the “cup”.  Had to wear the cup (I planned on having children later).

For those of you who don’t know what a cup looks like, here’s a picture:

I bring this up only because a lot of the kids on the team who weren’t catchers didn’t know what a cup was.  And in our Pan Am ball bag, we always kept a spare cup in there.  And every so often, someone would take out the cup, turn it so the pointed end is up, place it over their nose and mouth, and ask “What is this thing for”.

That’s when I’d tell them that it’s a Catcher’s Cup and it’s worn over the family jewels.

It usually took a few seconds for them to figure out what “family jewels” meant.  But as soon as they figured it out – I swear you could see the exclamation mark go on above their head – and they’d quickly throw it back into the ball bag.

Then after I turned 13, I moved on from Little League to Senior League.  That meant we could takes leads off the base before the ball passed the batter, and we could steal bases.  But that also meant playing with the “big boys”.

Our senior league team was named the Islanders.  Since Billy Cooper was the returning catcher, I was his back up so back to the outfield I went.

I remember when they tried me at third base – also known as “the hot corner”.  I quickly learned that it’s call the hot corner because it’s not often the ball is hit towards the third baseman, but when it is, it’s screaming.  Literally.  I remember a line drive hit my way at third base and by the time I could put my glove up, the ball went whizzing by me.  And it made this weird sound – something like when a firecracker fuse is quickly burning.  Or like a “zzzzzzzzzzzz” sound that you would hear for a split second.

I didn’t like playing third base.

After playing out 3 eligible years of Senior League, I had started surfing and my baseball days were over.  Although I did try out for Kailua High School’s JV baseball team and made it though the first cut.  But I quit soon after that as I had started working – and no longer had the passion for baseball inside of me anymore.

What I remember the most about playing baseball was that no matter how many times I went to the plate to bat, I always got “butterflies” in my stomach.  Why?  Number 1 – I didn’t want to get beaned.  Number 2 – the pressure.  All 9 players on the other team is focused on me – the batter.  Number 3 – From the time the pitcher released the ball, I had maybe a second to analyze the pitch and decide whether I was going to take a cut at it or not.  Talk about stressful!

One of my biggest memories of playing little league was when I was on base at third.  Keoni J. was pitching for the other team and threw a pass ball.  I immediately sprinted for home as Keoni ran in to cover the plate.  I didn’t slide.  It was a full on collision.  He got the better of me because I ended up on my back and he was crawling on me trying to get the relay from the catcher that he dropped.  Me, I had to scoot my okole a few times to get my foot to touch home plate.  That was some collision.  I think I saw stars for little while.

Did you guys play little league baseball when you were small?  Share your experiences, stories, memories with us.  Or if it wasn’t baseball, then pop-warner football, or basketball or some other sport you played during your small kid time.

* I apologize to the female readers as this topic is male oriented.  But feel free to chime in if you have some sports stories to share – maybe when your brothers played.  Or what you used to do bumming around the parks as your brothers played.  I’ll think of a female oriented blog topic for you ladies.  😉

GO WAIPIO!

136 Responses to “Do You Remember… Little League Baseball”

1. Frank Washburn says:

I played in Kainalu as well with the Indians. Then later with Red Sox. My coaches were Norman Aweau, AhChong Goo we won the Hawaii State championship and went to Washington State we eventually lost in the regionals. Leonard Castillo was a teammate. We played at aikahi and I can still smell the sewer.

• Rodney says:

Wow Frank, I remember those names! Leonard Castillo’s brother’s nickname was Bozo. And their mom was Goldie. She used to be the scorekeeper at games. And Norman Aweau’s son, Shawn was my classmate. And AhChong Goo with the cigar hanging from his mouth. LOL Damn good coaches. My brothers, (Bruce and Terry) used to play with Leonard. They might’ve played with you too. And Russell Francis.
      Speaking of Aikahi, the baseball field is named Norman Aweau Field.

Yes Linda. And I got to follow them since they lost their first game to Georgia. You’re going to LOVE retirement. LOL

3. ct says:

Good evening all … got a late start … had to DVR the game and just got through watching … although it was hard knowing the outcome …

Good evening DIO and ct ❗ We all posted at the same moment ❗

@Rod #128, they sure did. I don’t usually watch baseball but I watched today with my husband. Waipio played a good game. We’re proud of them. What an exciting week for little league baseball ❗ 🙂

6. David In Oregon says:

Gooooood evening everyone.

7. ct says:

Congrats to the boys, coaches and parents of the Waipio team. Not too many can say that they are US Champions … and played tough against Japan and are runner-ups in the world. We are all so proud of them, they should keep their heads up because they are true champions …

Although the boys didn’t win the Big One – they won our hearts. That’s even more precious.

@diane ako – I heard that the Williamsport area is a quiet place all year around – until the Little League World Championships takes place. Then it’s hard to just find a room.

Reminds me of Hilo during the Merry Monarch competition. LOL

10. diane ako says:

I used to work at WBRE in Scranton, PA. Williamsport was our coverage area. I always think of that whenever the Little League season rolls around.

@sally, hope tomorrow is a better day for you, hang in there ❗

Good evening MLCers ❗ 🙂

Finger is healing, headache is better but neck tension is worse. No can win, this weekend.

oy.

Yayyyy Waipio! You did guuud!!! Congratulations Japan! Great series, great game.

@sally, hope you feel better ❗

15. David In Oregon says:

sally: how’s da fingah?

GO WAIPIO!!!

Good Morning MLCers!

Fending off a headache, hoping it doesn’ turn into a full blown migraine. I think it’s from yesterday’s this week’s trauma of cooking and prepping for my family get-together yesterday.

@ankles, #113 and #114, LIKE both of them ❗ 🙂

It is HOT and MUGGY in Hawaii ❗ Can’t wait for summer to end ❗ I love cool weather ❗

Good morning MLCers ❗ Have a restful Sunday ❗ 🙂

Good morning, ankles ❗ 🙂

21. David In Oregon says:

Good morning everyone. 😀

MLCers:

..an American alternative band from Los Angeles……like ❓

Another HOT MUGGY TOPLESS day……here’s a semi Blast From the Past

Benjamin Orr – Stay the Night

Good night MLCers ❗ Sweet dreams ❗ 🙂

Good evening, MLCers ❗ 🙂

Guess everyone is out on this Saturday night ❗

Guud evening MLCers!

@ankles, sounds good ❗ 🙂

If they win and Wie wins and Colt plays terrifically, it would be a trifecta ❗

LK:

..evening..hope Waipio can play this song tomorrow after the championship game…

Good evening, ankles ❗ 🙂

The BEEg difference between Little League in my days and now are the metal bats. We used wooden bats back then…I had my favorite, a 28″ Mickey Mantle. We didn’t have batting cages to practice during the off season, no pitching machines to hit off of and it snowed during the winter.

Good afternoon/evening MLCers ❗

Ran errands all day. At First Hawaiian Bank the Waipio game was on TV. At Cosco, Sears, all TV’s were on to the game! At the beauty shop, everyone was talking about the Waipio game ❗ Talk of the day ❗ They really put Hawaii on the map. Imagine a WORLD CHAMPIONISHIP tomorrow ❗ Awesome ❗ 🙂

@Mark’75 #53 – Yup, it was Keoni Jardine that I ran into. Was like running into a brick wall. LOL.

AWWWRIGHT WAIPIO!!!

35. David In Oregon says:

One more to go……Go Waipio!!

Geevum’ Waipio!

37. David In Oregon says:

Good morning everyone.

Good morning MLCers ❗ 🙂

@ankles, good morning ❗ 🙂

39. jollette says:

Just remembered///Gregg Maddux.

40. jollette says:

Good morning! I love baseball, a no hitter is as exciting for me as a triple play or a blow-out game. Every pitch is a game winner/loser, every hit can make or break a game, every play defensive/offensive counts. You can’t blink or you may miss something..that’s why I am glad for replays. At live games, I’m in deep…cause I talk a bit. Went to a couple of World Series…came up short.
    My two sons played…they are all grown now. Go Waipio….Field of Dreams. Love pitchers…gosh, I can’t think of the name of my favorite pitcher, he throws a lot of change-ups/curves…not the fastest pitches, but gets the job done with his savvy…sounds familiar anyone.

41. jollette says:

My two sons played…they are all grown now. Go Waipio….Field of Dreams. Love pitchers…gosh, I can’t think of the name of my favorite pitcher, he throws a lot of change-ups/curves…not the fastest pitches, but gets the job done with his savvy…sounds familair anyone.

Good Morning MLCers!

Very cool vid, ankles. Computers make people so brilliant!

Mo’ James Brown:

Guud morning MLCers! 🙂

MLCers:

World’s first flash augmented reality video…32 year old American musician from Connecticut….like ❓

Haven’t heard this one in a long time….today’s Blast From the Past

James Brown – Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag

@ct #88, thanks for the music, nice way to end the evening ❗ 🙂

Good night MLCers ❗ Sweet dreams ❗ 🙂

@ct #88, thanks, ct ❗ Yes, all is well. I’m winding down at work trying to clear my desk before I retire ❗ 23 more days ❗

It’ll be September next week, my birthday in a couple of week, retirement, then Vegas ❗ Life is good ❗ 🙂

48. ct says:

@Linda – Hope all is well. Thanked Dave for his diligence in keeping things civil.

The Chiffons – One Fine Day

@ankles #79, wow, I sure hope your friend’s son will be safe there.

@ankles, good night ❗

@ankles #80 what does “MI” stand for “military intelligence ❓ My brother talked about the death all around him, his palatoon soldiers smoking marijuana (not permitted but they did it anyway) and getting killed in front of his eyes, so sad. He doesn’t like to remember. I wish I saved his letters to me stamped from Cambodia and Vietnam, but Ms. neat freak, threw them away….

52. ct says:

@ankles – Thanks again for da music … good nite

Going to bed…almost 1am there ❗ Yikes…..night all.

ct:

The funniest part is that the outfielders would all come in whenever I batted, even in the later years playing softball. Big mistake on their part as I could see my teammates mouthing “Hit It”. Got quite a few homers that way before the other team wised up 😆

Something about all of the equipment that the catchers wear intrigued me and I had to try it

55. ct says:

@ankles – Wow you must have been a stud. Man plenty talent here … no doubt about it. And tanks as always for da tunes … awesome

@Rodney 3 time champions. What else can you say.

I was kinda the opposite. I played street ball and down da park. We moved so much … we were always da oddahh guys. So if you won … you still lost if you know what I mean. Each year I would beg my mom but she would never sign the release paper. So I had to promise to quit if I got hurt, but by that time, I only played only one year of organized ball. We were the minor league Yankees in the Kaimuki Youth League (KYL). Heard of the Bad News Bears well we were a combination of that and the Sand Lot. To make the team, all I had to do was throw 5 times from various distances with the coach and catch the return throw and just like that, I was on the team.

We were so bad, we lost to our T-Ball, not only lost but got smashed something like 30 something to 12. In fact, they were so desperate, I ended up pitching and playing 3rd. I think I must have beaned at least 1 or 2 batters each game, so when I batted I walked a lot because opposing pitchers were trying to bean me for payback. It was actually a miracle because we got smashed our first 5 games but we managed to win 4 out of our last 5 games. We almost made the playoffs. The smallest player on our team was the catcher, so when I threw the high fast one, many times it ended up bouncing off the backstop. On the second to our last game a ball went to the backstop with man on third, so I had to cover the plate. The runner slid late right into my foot, and I would find out later that I had fractures in 3 toes. Of course, I couldn’t tell my mom so my foot was so swollen that I had to cut my shoe a little and kick my foot into it. Our last game came and 1 of our 3 pitchers had bad asthma so couldn’t play. Our other pitcher was our backup catcher. So guess who had to catch. I only caught in practice so this was my first time in a game. Their biggest guy erased the back line of the batters box and reached back for a big swing. The last thing I remember was reaching for the ball. Apparently he hit the corner of the mask with the bat. Next thing I remember was waking up at Kuakini … hahaha … so that was the end of a promising career … oh well … que sera sera

Dad was doing MI while in VN – taking enemy terrain pictures from the air…only found this out several years ago from him….doesn’t say much about the time he spent there.

Yep, an army brat ❗ 😆 I still have PX privileges as my mom’s guest.

My co-worker’s son is going to Bueno Aires to provide security for the US Embassy for the next year. He just finished training in the east coast. He may have to do a tour in the middle east securing the US Embassy there afterward.

@ankles, I hope your Dad survived Vietnam. My brother served in Vietnam for 4 years as a Sgt. and he was the ONLY survivor of his platoon ❗ That made him very religious ❗ He’s a devout Mormon today. He thanks God he made it through. He is such a great man today!

…and here she is with the Miami Sound Machine..

Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine – Words Get In The Way

@ankles, wow, you were a military kid ❗

I didn’t appreciate the military servicemen until both of my sons joined. My youngest age 21 is in the U.S. Navy. When he was in Iraq for 7 months, I cried every time I read an article reporting a death there. He’s stationed in San Diego now. We’ll be visiting him after his sister’s graduation in Omaha on 12/17/10. My other son is in the Hawaii Army National Guard. Every time there is a disaster here, floods, tsunami, crowd control at the stadium, etc. they are called into active duty to help. I really appreciate all who serve our country today. It’s a difficult job ❗

Here’s another one…

Gloria Estefan – Here We Are

LK:

You become baggage when your dad is in the armed forces. They say go and you go where ever it is ❗

We drove across country from Oakland to N.C. in a ’56 Buick. I don’t remember much of it but remember the McD’s golden arches…back then they only sold a couple of million burgers. We also drove back across country when dad was transferred to VietNam 3 years later.

@ankles #71 & #72, absolutely delightful ❗ Thank you ❗ 🙂

Another one of hers I love…

Gloria Estefan – Don’t Wanna Lose You

This if one of my favorite Gloria Estefan songs…..

Turn the beat around

@ct #65, #66, #67, thanks for all the memories, haven’t heard these songs in a long time ❗ 🙂

@ankles #68, thanks for sharing ❗ You had an interesting sports life ❗ So you’ve lived in lots of places ❗ That’s what makes you so interesting. I’ve lived in Hawaii my whole lifetime and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

Have a great weekend ❗ 🙂

Ohhhhh, the battery taste…I’ve encountered that..the metallic taste in the mouth is scientifically known as ‘Dysgeusia’.

I remember my Little Leagues years in N. Carolina. My first team was the Dodgers and I’ve never played organized baseball before, just pick up games.My glove was ordered from the Spiegel catalog. Have you noticed that most every one starts out in right field, especially if the coach have never seen you play. That’s where I started off. That didn’t last long, as I was moved to the infield, second base and then eventually to the pitcher’s mound. I wanted to play catcher too but the equipment was too large for me ❗ The other pitchers on the team and I would make up all sorts of pitches – one, two, three finger fastballs, index/4th finger drops, even tried throwing knuckle balls. I didn’t care about batting then, just wanted to pitch. I got my first lesson in intimidation from my coach…throw a ball or two inside or bounce it at their feet to the first two batters. Make them think you have no control…worked on the ones who were up there scared but the teams caught on as the season progressed. By then it was here’s my pitch, hit it if you can. That didn’t work too well either sometimes. Our team came in dead last, in fact the second half of the season, we were being coached by a Puerto Rican teenager as our coach was being transferred to another duty station. I made the All Star team but quit half way through the practices – the coach was another teenager, and four letter words just flowed constantly from his mouth….make an error in practice and *&^((*$ or don’t follow his directions and again &%$%!X*%. I regretted quitting years later, should have stuck it out.

The next year, I was drafted by the Cubs. Back then, they would have everyone come out do a NFL-like “combine” try out. Pick a position(s) you want to play and try out. All of the coaches would be there to evaluate you and then draft. My coach was the Puerto Rican teenager and his older brothers. I didn’t pitch that year as we had a 6′ fireballer on the mound. They put me at third and shortstop…I didn’t have the arm to throw to the plate from the outfield position but I was accurate throwing to first. They had me leading off…smallest kid on the FIELD so I got a lot of walks, steals and runs scored. I didn’t hit much for an average…coach would always say a walk is as good as a hit, in my case most times a steal turned it into a double.
    We ended up winning the army base World Series, winning 2 of 3 games. I also got my first taste of “homer” umpires..things that were OK during the season suddenly became infractions …. WWD ❗

I was never beaned in those two years…thank goodness, thou I beaned plenty of our opponents the first year. 🙂 The worse injury was a sprained finger trying to retrieve a soda out of a cooler to celebrate our WS championship ❗ 😆

My dad got transferred to HI before the next season started and that was the last I played organized baseball. I played pickup games in high school and softball leagues while working at Sears. I played a couple of years up here in the city softball leagues and was planning to join my friends in the over 50 travel team but rotator cuff surgery on my throwing arm cut that short. In the meantime I got hooked on hockey since both my sons started playing it in the late 90’s and 00’s.

Remember Ryan Kurosaki, who once pitched for the Cardinals in ’75 ❓ We use to work together at the HCC bookstore during his off season. Last I heard he was a fireman in Arkansas.

69. ct says:

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas – Dancing In The Streets

70. ct says:

The Shirelles – Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

71. ct says:

@Linda – I just kinda lurk and read what’s out there but I just hate when it gets nasty. No reason for that. Okay pau

Okay … a little oldies …

Crystals – Da Doo Run Run

@ct #62, another terrific song ❗ Thank you ❗ 🙂

@ct #62, David Shapiro has been my friend for many years. He asks his bloggers not to be negative. Since I am a known Republican, I get negative feedback. But, this is America and I’m permitted freedom to choose. Dave has lots of class ❗ I was checking in with him after being absent from that blog for many months since I’m always over here on this blog. I used to write to him daily on his blog. Thanks for thinking of me, ct. I appreciate that ❗ 🙂

74. ct says:

@Linda – I saw your post in Volcanic Ash today. There was a very negative post by Capitolist attacking you. I was so upset that I wrote a response and was going to post it after my dental appointment. But Dave deleted it … hahahaha … oh well … at least Dave has some class … will go there later to thank him … back to da kitchen …

Glori encore …

Gloria Estefan – Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me

@ct #57, what a beat ❗ Thank you ❗ I’m off to a swinging weekend ❗ Thanks a bunch, ct ❗ 🙂

@ankles #56, absolutely delightful ❗ Loved the beat ❗ 🙂

Nice way to begin my weekend ❗ Soooo happy I have two days of heaven on earth (no work) ❗ 🙂

@ankles #58; 😆

It was a “furlough Friday” for us today but I had to work. Our furloughs are cancelled until 12/2010 but I don’t care since I retire on 9/30/10 ❗ Whoo hoo ❗ 🙂

LK:

BEEzy today…..day off 🙂

79. ct says:

@Good Evening MCLers!!!

@Rodney – Cannot read the blog from work. Officially it thinks it’s a virus. So cannot go to the blog page … Yeah right

Trying to read and catch up. Pretty interesting. Wow … get some talent here on da blog …

@Linda .. OK since Rodney brought it up …

Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine – Conga

Gotta cook some dinner so will be back laters foa talk stories …

MLCers:

…American rock band from LA….like ❓

Rod: I know that battery taste you’re talking about. I never knew about that until last year, Randall (bass player dude) needed to beg a battery at a gig. I got him one from someone’s game thingie (amazing what a head tilt can get me) and so I told him I didn’t know how much juice was in it.

He said “stick out your tongue”. So I did. (note to self: stop being so darned obedient). OMG WTH was that taste? *ack ack* I never had anything like that!!! blech ack ptui!

The taste stayed the whole night.
    *ptui!*

Good evening MLCers ❗ 🙂

@ankles, where are you ❓ No music today ❓

@Rodney: The collision at home with Keone J. Was his last name Jardine? If was, I can see why you saw stars!

Rodney: Since you were a catcher, do you remember the first thing a coach would yell at you to do? “NO TURN YOUR HEAD!!!” Saw our catcher take one on the ear…he was down.

@Rodney #47: Those ancient batting helmets…maybe lost some brain cells from that! I remember getting hit on the ear with that helmet, talk about ringing!!!!

my brother played little league- started with t ball and went up to majors, then in high school played for the team. I was always there cheering him on. I dont know how I sat thru 9 innings- oh, I know- watching some of those cute guys made my day,lol!! Then when I met my husband we used to go to see the Hawaiian Islanders, too. Always wanted to play baseball.. I remember there was a bunch of girls and back then we were told we had to get some kind of petition going. It ended there for us. I am so glad that females have their own game!!

Once during pitching practice, I was timing the catch and after I caught the ball, I’d lower the mitt. Until I timed it wrong and lowered the mitt too early. The ball cracked me right in the jaw.

Then I had that weird taste in my mouth like when you put a 9 volt battery on your tongue. Do you know what I’m talking about?

I thought it was only me, but when Gloria Estefan’s tour bus was rear ended and she broke her back, she mentioned that weird taste too.

I knew EXACTLY what she was talking about!

So it’s not just me. btw, after that – I became a big Gloria Estefan fan.

Watching today’s game, when they talked about the reason why batters put up the bunt is to block the vision of the catcher. Yes indeed! I hated that. I meant that I just had to guess where the ball was going to end up and put my catcher’s mitt there.

@Mark’75 – I remember those wrap around, two straps over the head baseball helmets. That’s what we used in T-ball.

Small kid time, we used to stop off at Lanakila field to watch the guys play baseball. This was after church and on our way home. One time, this guy playing left field dove for a ball after an all-out sprint. It was a catch against his body. He made a nice catch, but his body landed awkwardly on his left arm. When he came into the dugout afterwards, we could see that his shoulder was dislocated. That looked sore.

Anybody ever dislocated a joint before? Trust me, it is the most painful thing you can imagine. Once, I played in a volleyball league. I enjoy watching the U.H. volleyball Wahine in action. So why not play like them? Someone goes for a tip shot. I attempt to do a pancake save. I jam my arm into the court. My shoulder goes out of joint. Someone takes me to the emergency room. In all, it took 3 hours before the doctor sees me. He lifts my arm upwards slowly. Pop, it goes back into joint. Cannot describe the relief after that.

But that’s not the worse I’ve heard. Sometimes it takes a real good effort to pop a joint back in. People had to be sedated in some cases. One time during a pick-up basketball game, one of our guys took the basketball thrown to him which slipped through his hands straight to his family jewels (yes, da boto). The buggah dropped straight down wincing in pain. He wants to go to the e.r. What does the doctor give him? Tylenol III and the words, you’re fine. No cracked seed in this case. LOL

In baseball, I was the team’s clutz player…clutz not clutch! I was the kid who’d trot onto the field and whose mother would cringe and go, “Oh, no.”

I played in the Police Activities League (PAL) which was very competitive in the ’60s. My first year there was the last year we were called the KBA (Kapahulu Businessmen’s Association) Giants. The next year we became the Alii’s.

Some of my favorite times were spent before practice, which was at the small ball fields at Kaimuki High School along Date Street. Everyone watched a black and white TV program back then titled, “Twelve O’Clock High,” about a squadron of B-17 bombers who went on bombing missions over Germany. Us non-serious ball players would hold our cups upside down over our nose and mouth like a respirator and say mental stuff like, “Pilot to Bombadier…” or “…enemy at six o’clock!!!!” It was fun times also climbing down under the bridge at Date Street to catch opai in the stream with our hands. Best thing about practice? No need go Japanese School!

Our coach was coach Mamiya, a hardnosed, no-nonsense, cigar smoking coach, and I played with two of his sons. Everytime we messed up, we had to take a lap around the high school track. To an 8 or 9 year old, the lap seemed like forever, and I ran a lot of them. Everyone ran around the track counter-clockwise and one time, I decided to go the opposite way. When I completed the lap, coach said, “Why you ran that way, go back and run it the other way,” maybe he wanted to keep me off the field. (hmmm…maybe that’s why I became a runner in high school)

Some teams we played had actual plastic batting helmets. We basically wore earphones made of thin press board that wrapped around the back of your head and had two elastic bands over the top. You had to wear this over your ball cap and the top of your head was not protected. Yup, got plunked on the top of the head ducking a wild pitch!

Coach always said to keep your eye on the ball. Yup, so much so, I got a black eye BEFORE a game! Warming up, we paired off and threw to each other. My friend next to me called me and when I turned to look, the ball skipped off the top of my glove and hit me square in the eye.

Well, as bad as my playing seemed, I did have a few good moments in baseball. After a few seasons (and enough lumps), I decided to hang it up and my mom said, “Yah, good.” Then, it was back to Japanese School…

A lot of my teammates continued to play through high school, but notably Eric Tokunaga shined in his career through UH’s run at the College World Series.

92. visitor says:

Started with community softball (very little) then played baseball. Was planning to play in high school, but got part-time job instead. Later played softball in work league and community leagues.

Daughters played softball from elementary age to high school graduation.

Kudos to the Waipio team, players and coaches. Great job in defeating Georgia and their ace pitcher today.

Sugar Bowl revenge!

@losthawaiian #19 – Yes, if you still have pictures of our baseball team, I would love to have a copy. Digital is fine. Lots of my pictures are at my mom’s house or were lost due to the new year’s eve flood. 🙁

@JTB – Good luck to the Texas team. But Waipio will give them lickins tomorrow!

At Kaiser, don’t forget about the Scott Chans, Chris Whaleys, Boyd Yaps and Kaneakalas. Was it Lisa or Lori Castillo?

Alright, Waipio! Hawaii has basically 3 pitchers left. If they throw Kaneshiro tomorrow against Texas, they still have Ramos and Heleski left for the big enchilada. No matter, hit the heck out of the ball and play solid defense, and mostly play with heart, then you’ll win.

Never got a chance to play organized sports as a kid. Other than the rumbles in the driveway basketball games, it was amazing how our parents got us to harness our competiveness. The younger siblings got into basketball and volleyball in school. Not too bad as they made all-State.

Did okay at the company softball games. Always had a quick first-step, good eye-hand-coordination, and the enjoyment of playing team sports. That’s how the big bosses judged you off the field, and how much liquor you could hold afterwards at the parties. Always stuck me in the outfield because those old geezers were way past their prime. LOL

My daughter is into her 4th week at AYSO soccer. She tells me, ‘daddy, I like soccer but I don’t like the running part’. Bless her little heart; she is just not as aggressive as the other girls on the field. But put her to the microphone in front of 50 people, and she can belt out God Bless America without a mistake. Not too many kids her age can do that.

96. che says:

I grew up playing little league in Manoa. The biggest differences was that baseball wasn’t year round like it is now. It ran from Jan to Apr. Also the teams back then were all intact. The good is that if you had a good team in T-Ball then you had the same players all the following years. The same 2 teams won almost every year. The same goes for the bottom 2 teams which finished last every year.

97. Mike in Waipio says:

I never played Little League. But my younger brother did and our Dad was an official with the Manoa Little League. My Dad convinced me to volunteer as an official scorekeeper. That’s not the guy who puts up the number of runs scored on the scoreboard; the scorekeeper keeps a written account of the game (“scores” the game). While I haven’t played organized baseball, I’ve played years of organized (or sometimes disorganized) softball; and I enjoy watching baseball (youth leagues, UH, Major Leagues, etc.)and softball.
    Off topic: @sally (#116 of WWD topic); I’ve known many women named Linda, Ann, or Karen. In fact, at one time I knew three women named Karen Nakamura.

Waipio victorious! Good job, guys! 🙂

99. David In Oregon says:

Go Waipio!! 😀

100. losthawaiian says:

One of my best memories of little league was on opening day of the season. The smell of freshly cut grass, baseball/glove leather and lime/chalk was heavenly. Even today, I keep my glove and a baseball on my desk to remind me. Also, the huli-huli fundraiser chicken smell would waft over the playing fields and into the stands. I couldn’t wait until the game was over to get some grinds.

JTB – funny! That’s such a “Bad News Bears” moment, and you made me snort out loud!

102. Ynaku says:

JTB, that’s one Make-an-A$$ out oneself to lose the ball in the sun. People watching from the stands can see the ball and you not really lined up and *thunk* ball fall in front of you (or worse hit you on the head 🙂 ). Dang, I take off my cap and everything and still couldn’t see that white ball 😯 8O.

That’s so shame.

103. Ynaku says:

*YAWN* What’s all the racket here? People with day off trying to sleep late but no can 😆

Good Morning MLC.

GO WAIPIO!!

Hey, in our days, had girls playing T-Ball that make guys shame.

104. JTB says:

Played many sports while growing up, including baseball. I played infield, shortstop mostly, and had pretty good hands. In company baseball league days, I still played shortstop. I remember as a kid losing the ball in the direct sunlight on a popup one time, and having it come down right over the top of my glove webbing and smack right between my eyes. Next thing I remember, I was laying flat on my back with about ten faces in a circle all looking down on me. I saw stars and had a big bruise on my face from that one.

Coming from Texas, I played football like everyone else. Double duty as running back and linebacker on offense and defense. If you were good enough, the coach played you every play. I was a late bloomer as far as puberty was concerned, so everyone outgrew me by a lot in middle school. Quit playing organized football and picked up golf. That was great for when we moved to Hawaii. I played golf with Lisa Castillo and her little brother (was his name Roy?) at Kaiser HS. I used to frequently see Calvin Hill, the former great Dallas Cowboy running back, at the Hawaii Kai Golf Course during that time when he briefly played for the pro football Hawaiians in the mid-70’s. I was such a Cowboy fan (still today too), so I really thought it was cool to see him at the driving range. I talked to him on many occasions and got his autograph, as well. Kaiser was a powerhouse in sports at that time…Sid Fernandez – pitcher, Derek Kaneshiro – running back & wrestling, Peter Kim – soccer & place kicker…all stars, two of which had excellent college careers and turned pro. I believe there was two OIA football & wrestling championships during my time there and the golf team with Lisa Castillo was pretty good, too.

Anyways, I digress. I did really enjoy playing sports and feel that it helped me both being a competitive person, as well as practice being a team player.

Btw, I am pulling for Waipio, but also pulling for the Houston-area team from Pearland, Texas!

105. kathi says:

@sally (#29): True, I don’t really remember many team sports opportunities for girls until high school. But… I was totally not athletic, so maybe I just don’t remember because I could not have made the cut anyway 🙂

@Seawalker – Thanks for the link you provided yesterday to this morning’s game.

Go Waipio!

hahaha kathi… I noticed that too. But I think it’s more because in “our” time, LLB was all boys so the PLAYING part would be a boy memory.

Guud thing times have changed eh?

Have a great day everyone!

GO WAIPIO!
    *shaking ti leaves*

108. kathi says:

My brother played Little League for a couple of years and my dad was one of the coaches. I don’t remember much about it. I was only slightly more interested in baseball then than I am now, which is to say, not a lot.

But still, I have watched most of the Little League World Series games when a Hawaii team was playing. Just a little more than an hour to game time as I type this. I’m at work so I’ll have to watch online. Go Waipio!!!

(Heyyy… do I see a gender stereotyping WWD up there? I’m not interested in baseball because I just don’t really like baseball, not because I’m female!)

When my daughter was about 9 she wanted to play little league cuz the YMCA leader’s father was coach and “saw potential” in her.

So we took her to the park to practice throwing and hitting (I just watched like a good mommy) then she said “mommy’s turn!”

What happened next was nothing short of a Saturday morning cartoon.

I put my energy in to swing the bat, missed the ball, and got spun around. WTH was dat?

Mommy duty pau.

She played… and played well. Her coach used to tell me how natural she was. Then her daddy turned into one of THOSE parents (see losthawaiian #20) and she was kill fight. She told me how embarrassing it was and quit. Coach kept trying to get her to come back but she didn’t. We talked, it didn’t matter. Her daddy… don’t even get me started.

Guuud morning everyone! M, what’s for breakfast?

I was NOT athletic as a kid. The only thing I could do halfway well was swim. But for some reason, I could make contact with a ball with a bat. I only played PE-kine baseball, but it was fun.

Imua Waipio!

I didn’t play LLBB or any kind sports when I was little. 🙁

GO WAIPIO!

Good Morning MLCers!

Go Waipio!

Rod: the game is at 8:00!!! You HAVE to watch it in real time!

Rod: WAKE UPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*where’s Ynaku when you need him?

Have a great Aloha Friday everyone ❗ 🙂

114. 91boz says:

Good Morning Everyone!

Ah, Little league baseball — so many memories!
    Growing up in Ewa Beach in the early 60’s the only organized youth league was on base at Barbers pt. I remember playing minor league when I was 10 for the Flyers. Rod funny you should mention one’s first raction to the cup. That’s exactly what happened when one unsuspecting team mate found a cup in the team bag. He put it over his nose and ran around the field making these airplane noises. Remember this was a military base with a a lot of military kids. Barbers Pt. had one of the best little league stadiums in the state. Toulan field was complete with electronic scoreboard and roll out tarp to cover the field in case of rain.

When I was 12 we had our own little league in Ewa Beach and our team the Cubs won the league championship. Our all star team won the first game against West Honolulu but lost to Hickam in a controversial game.

We lost that game by one run but it was after the game that we found out that they, Hickam had illegally substituted 2 players in the game. The problem was that we found out after the game while in the car leaving the field. I remember bid brouhaha all these cars pulled over on the side of the road with the league manager, coaches, umpire and fans trying to file a protest. We lost the game as it was ruled that the protest was not filed during the game.

I hope Waipio can advance this morning. It’s not going to be easy against the Georgia ace pitcher that shut them down in the first game. This big Georgia kid throws an equivalent 101 mph major league fastball, but this Hawaii team like all other teams from Hawaii has this scrappy “No Give Up’ attitude.

Go Waipio!

Good morning MLCers ❗ 🙂

116. losthawaiian says:

What I didn’t like about little league even to this day are the “parents”. You know, the ones who think their kid’s could do no wrong and know all the rules of the game. These same parents who yell at the umpires, opposing coaches and even the other teams parents. I’ve seen it at all levels and in all sports, not only baseball. Some of these parents also yell at their own kid’s to run faster, swing and throw harder……!?!

117. losthawaiian says:

I loved playing baseball. Played up through the first two years of college. Rodney, those years playing with the minor league Yankee’s were pretty great. We had a very good team, one through nine, and your dad was a very good coach. I’m pretty sure we could have competed with the major teams and even beat a few. I still have our team pics somewhere. Let me know if you want a copy of them.

Tomorrow’s game – 8:00 AM. I’ll be up early. But DVRing it just in case. LOL

119. kaimuki tita says:

Sally, I had to work so I had to wait to check email…..got home and got on facebook to see the final results! So chicken skin!!! I’m so excited for them!!!

@kaimuki tita: Knowing you, you’d be the one with the most omiyage for everyone! Wasn’t it exciting today?

121. kaimuki tita says:

First…GO WAIPIO!!! Congratulations to the players and families!!! We’re all cheering you on!!!

I know how much work it is to get this far. My memories of Little League Baseball is as a parent and supporter for over 25 years. We had wonderful coaches (many of them did not even have children playing in the league),the greatest parents, grandparents, siblings and friends. We had awesome pot lucks……..and most important, we had wonderful players!!! Many of the players that started as T-ball players, continued until they graduated from high school. They played on their high school teams also. After graduating, some of them returned to our organization to help coach the new players. What a wonderful example of an awesome organization. One of our teams made it to the Western Regionals in San Bernadino…and yes, that’s how I know how much time and effort it takes to take these teams to these competitions. Fund raising, practice, travel planning, families and coaches having to take vacation or time off without pay from work. And just for your information, when the Hawaii teams go to the Western Regionals, they are pretty much expected to bring the Aloha…flowers, pineapples, “omiage”. All the teams exchange gifts, pins etc. So if you know any Little League players, parents or coaches, thank them for their efforts! Those days at the park bring back wonderful memories and I am so very proud of all of the players who have grown up to be wonderful young men and women.

122. David In Oregon says:

sally: what you expect from people with ADOS. If you’re MLC with ADOS, it’s worse, you’re distracted AND forgetful. 😆

123. Ynaku says:

sorry I meant to say Bat not hat. See I was BOT

Baseball guys, we’re talking baseball. LOL sheesh, not even 10 comments and we’re OT already.

aigoo

125. Ynaku says:

This MLCer up WAY past his bedtime *grrrr* better go sleep. Son like take drivers test tomorrow. Hope I can sleep good tonight 😀

126. Ynaku says:

sally??? Was you??? 😡 😆 I forgot my beeg hat and boa that day 🙂

127. David In Oregon says:

sally: 😆 😆

DiO: was only 26 items! LOL

I grew up in a football family, didn’t know anything about baseball until in my 20’s when my then boss explained all the strategies to me while watching World Series during lunch on the office TV. Then I started watching UH baseball (sometimes).

Then, one day (was it 2002?), I noticed a pretty cool game on TV and WHAT??? it was Hawaii keiki! And one of them was my friend’s son. So I watched and got hooked. They took the championship!

The next time… 2008? … I watched again.

This year I’m following but today was the first game I was able to see since I had a day off. So exciting!

I’m not a true sports buff so I just watch what I want, when I want. And I want to watch this!

Good evening MLCer’s ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 🙂

Tomorrow is a furlough Friday but we have to work ❗ WWD ❗

@Rod, girls played baseball too, or was it called softball ❓ Believe it or not, when I would step up to bat, everyone would walk backwards in the out field since they knew I would hit the ball far ❗ It was always and insult when a person stepped up to bat and everyone in the outfield would walk in close anticpating a bunt or a weak hit. 😆

Glad you had some great baseball memories ❗ 🙂

132. Ynaku says:

Eh as da kine boto cup?

I played little league maybe 2 years and then pau. Played right field. I wasn’t a good player. No body to coach me wen young keed time. Yeah we go practice but go through da motions. Had fun though.

When got older, played softball. Did company games. Guud fun. One game was raining supah hard. Playing outfield. Hitter popped one fly ball. I run after it and saw was going hit the ground in front me. I was hoping for a bounce but the ball went squish into the mud and I kept going past the ball and did a slip and slid maneuver in the mud. Filthy from head to toe. But was guud fun 😆

133. David In Oregon says:

eh, dat lady with the 375 items in her shopping cart just cut me off. 😉

134. David In Oregon says:

Go Waipio!

FOIST! What perfect timing! Now I go read. heh.