Do You Remember… Neighborhood Drive Ins

Most neighborhoods had their locally run mom-n-pop drive ins.

In Kailua, we had 2 – Andy’s Drive In and Kailua Drive In aka KDI.  I never did care for Andy’s too much, but KDI was the place that we used to go.  I remember when their hamburgers were 25¢ each or 5 for $1.  And when I was working at Windward Volkswagen, the salesmen used to have me make a Saturday morning run there.  Sometimes it was their bacon and egg sandwich or grilled cheese sandwich, but the best was their Portuguese Burger.  It was a huge round Portuguese sausage patty – the size of a hamburger – tucked in a hamburger bun with only mayonnaise.

And their chop steak was ono too!

Eventually, the owner of KDI built a lounge connected to it and named it the Red Carpet lounge.  And at the same time, changed the name from Kailua Drive In to RC Drive In (RC for Red Carpet).  But we still referred to it as KDI.

When Holiday Mart opened up, along came A&W Drive In.  Of course, I had to order an A&W root beer with their burgers, but something about their food just wasn’t “local”, being a mainland chain.  It didn’t last too long in Kailua.

I remember a couple other drive ins in Kailua Shopping Center.  There was a place called Quickies that made awesome french fries.  They were skinny kine fries and really crispy.  Our dentist was located upstairs of Quickies so as a treat, my mom used to take us there after our dentist appointment for a bag of fries.
And the other drive in in Kailua Shopping Center was located right next to Times market.  I can’t remember the name of that place, but it was more like a Dairy Queen drive in – that sold ice cream sundaes, shakes, cones, and stuff.  And some onolicious teri-burgers.

Then we I got my drivers license, that opened us up to a whole slew of drive ins around town.

I remember a place in Kapahulu called The Dog House.  It was located just across the side street next to Leonard’s Bakery.  It was a gray colored, tiny little A-framed house that we used to go eat at after surfing at Diamond Head cliffs.  That was before we knew about Rainbow Drive In.

Then we learned about KC Drive In when it was where Ala Wai boulevard met up with Kalakaua avenue.  Funny, whenever we went to KC Drive In, we always did the car-hop thing.  We used to see people walk in to the restaurant part to eat, but we never went in there.  I think we just enjoyed turning on our car’s parking lights on to get the waitress to come to service us. But it was the pits when it started raining.

Anyone remember Diners Drive In on Keeaumoku?  We used to go there sometimes when I was attending Kapiolani Community College (for all you youngsters, KCC used to be on Pensacola street next to McKinley High School).

And when I was working at Servco in Mapunapuna, it was Jumbo’s Drive In which had some awesome fried chicken drumettes/wings plate.

And just one more – when my dad used to take us to visit our grandma in Kalihi, once in a while he’d stop by Kenny’s Burger House.  They were one of the few places that sold a large order of french fries.  It came in a rectangle paper dish – like the kind that hot dogs are served on – filled to the brim with french fries, all tucked nicely in a white paper sleeve.  Those french fries used to last me the whole ride back from Kalihi to Kailua.

What were some of the neighborhood mom-n-pop drive ins that you remember?  What was your favorite thing to order there?  Milk shakes?  Malts?  Shrimp burger?  Oyster burger?  Saimin?  Green river?  Orange freeze?  Gravy & rice?

269 Responses to “Do You Remember… Neighborhood Drive Ins”

1. Vincent says:

My family owned Sam’s Fountain 65′ until closed around 88′

2. kathi says:

For me it would be Rainbow, some other place near Ala Wai Golf Course that I can’t remember the name of, Jolly Roger, and KC. I worked at Zippy’s for about a year, but I definitely can’t say I have fond memories of that time. As for “real” drive-ins, as in drive-ins with carhops, I don’t think there are too many left anywhere but they’re not totally extinct yet. Superdawg, which is about 2 miles away from where I live on the nort’west side of Chicago, still has carhops.

@Rob – Frankie’s in Waimanalo. That’s it! Thanks.

Kailua used to have a Shari’s – Home of the Dollar Plate Lunch. We used to ride our bikes there after surfing at shorbreak, grind 2 plate lunches, then back to the beach. Man, those were the days.

btw, folks – new post is up.

Kenny’s in Kalihi… use to go there after judo at Kalihi YMCA, with one of my friends… rode our bikes there and ate french fries and soda… Diners in Kalihi… imagine, plate lunches for lest than a dollar… they made a good egg burger and fried half chicken… ono… Scottys and Chunkys was place to hang out and see all the hot cars at nite time… good memories

@M: Sorry I missed you. Saw someone I went to Kaimuki Intermediate with, but she graduated from Kalani. She was selling old records opposite you nearest the stage. I also met up with another seller whose son played baseball with my son at Kalani.

6. David In Oregon says:

ankleBYTERS (#247): Yeah, I’ve been to Sonic before. Been to one of them in Austin, TX, just south of the famous “bat” bridge. It just didn’t feel the same though, no old school feeling to it. Given the way it was laid out, I felt like I was at a super large gas station, parked next to a gas pump. The only thing really memorable about that experience, was the awfully bad p.a. they had for ordering. I felt like I was talking to Charlie Brown’s teacher.

@Mark, we were there and going strong. We were on the ewa side wall about in the middle. We had lots of plates, ceramic stuff, clothes, sleeping bags, a surf board, lots of stuff. We may have been eating our lunch around that time.

8. David In Oregon says:

sally (#248): Yeah, dat kine drive-ins. 😆

Just got off the butigroove website. Their Kukui High School t-shirts are neat, but I really like the bumper sticker! Check it out.

10. David In Oregon says:

Goood evening everybody!!

@M: Around noon, after my daughter finished her PSAT. Bought some cookies and popcorn stuff they were selling for Project Grad.

Mark, garage sale…..

@Mark, what time did you get to the garage yesterday at Kalani?

Good evening LK and MLCers.

Saw the U.H. game from start to finish on TV. What a game! Now, if U.H. wins the next 2, then the game with Boise State will definitely grab some national attention. Who knows, U.H. could be on a cusp of a Top 25 ranking by then. So Ankles, the votes that U.H. garnered today is setting the stage for something bigger on November 6.

Question, when U.H. scored to go up by 12, why didn’t they elect to go for 2-point conversion? But that’s okay. Bottom line is U.H. is making the state of Hawaii proud. I don’t think we’ll ever top the 2007 season–12 and 0. But it sure feels better when U.H. wins instead of a loss. Now for the Monday morning quarterbacking at the office… alright!

Have a great Sunday evening MLCers ❗ 😀

@M: The win surely gives Kalani something to build on for next year! The garage sale and craft fair was good yesterday, but I think we got there too late, the cafeteria was kind of empty.

17. ct says:

Whooo hoooo … go Falcons … great victory … good things happen to those who work hard every week … and never give up … Congrats to da Falcons!!!

I was at the Warrior victory last nite … what a game … Go Warriors!!!

@Mark, my son is a senior at Kalani.

Great win for Kalani!!!!! Kalani No Ka Oi! Sorry for gloating, but my son graduated from there and my daughter goes there now.

Buuuut, I was at the UH game last night. Wow, when the team was about to run out of the tunnel to Hawaii Five-O, the camera zoomed in on Colt Brennan at the end of the tunnel (and it was projected onto the jumbo tron) who said, “Are you ready for some Warrior football?!” The crowd seeing this went nuts. Was cool.

Hey, the Warriors received 9 points in the USA Today poll and 8 points in the AP Poll….Nevada dropped out of the top 25 in both polls.

@DiO: hahaha! ohhhh, DAT kine! In this world of liability and work comp gone crazy, I don’t think businesses want to chance it. Quite sad that our kids won’t have the pleasure of having this memory… it’ll die with us MLCers. boo

DiO:

Sonics ❗ but I don’t think they have one in HI…would be nice if they did…

23. David In Oregon says:

sally: Ok, lemme clarify for you peoples back home…What I meant by drive-ins, is da ole school drive-ins, where you actually drive your car there, and someone delivers your food on a tray that hangs out the window of your car, just like KC Drive In and Alex Drive In used to do.

Rod… it’s Sunday… New post?

Poor thing, getting accustomed to employment

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Sunday ❗ 😀

Good Morning MLCers!

Gee, DiO, how long has it been since you were home? lol Of course there are still Drive Ins. Rainbows is still there, Graces, Leeward D.I., Blaines and Tex’s on BI, Zippys and L&L. Drive Ins will never die in Hawaii, it’s our world. Mainland doesn’t have Chicken Katsu Gravy on da Rice.

Time for you to come home for vacation, DiO. : )

27. David In Oregon says:

Good morning everyone!

BOT: Are there any drive-ins left in the state?

Good night MLCers ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 😀

@M #236, glad your fundraiser went well. I would have stopped by today if I didn’t have a dental appt. and my hair appt. today. My husband is from Kalani. He passes Kalani High School every Saturday on his way to his Mom’s home in Kuliouou. If there is another fundraiser, let us know.

Good evening MLCers ❗ 😀

Just got back from the New Products Show at the Blaisdell. Entered all the contests and sampled all the food. Fun ❗ 😀

31. David In Oregon says:

NKHEA: HOWZIT!! Hea, have a beea. No worry, it’s not Pree-mo.

32. David In Oregon says:

Gooooooooooooooooood evening everybody!!

Guud evening MCLers!

We did pretty guud today at the Kalani fundraiser garage sale for Project Grad. We made $228.00

Whoa, NKHEA sighting! He must be between safety meetings. 🙂

@ankles #232, wonderful ❗ Enter everything you can, we do!

We’re headed to the Food and New Products Show at the Blaisdell to sample new food and to enter more contests ❗ Fun ❗ 😀

MLCers:

…is a rock band from Pretoria, South Africa….like ❓

LK:

Your raffle luck must have rubbed off on me as I won a prize yesterday at the golf tournament ❗

Good morning, ankles ❗ 😀

Remember Rocky Bridges, the manager for the Islanders back in ’72-’73 ❓ His PHX Giants won the PCL crown in ’77. Nice article on him…

@Seawalker #227, you’re making me hungry. Will go have my oatmeal now. Maybe Chinese food for dinner instead of Zippy’s.

Good morning everyone.

Too much ancient Chinese secrets shared. LOL

@4G / @DiO – I remember Dayton Asato from school. We used to have a tradition where a bunch of guys, all seniors, performed at a pep rally as cheerleaders. Think he was part of it.

@ct – “… proud of the Falcons … even though out manned and out gunned … they still have heart and dats da main ting … no give up”

Very well said. Sports is not measured by your wins or losses. Rather, it builds character and sticks with you for the rest of your life. I pass by Kalani everyday and the team continues to practice.

@Masako – Minute chicken cakenoodle and salt & peppa pork chops, those are the two dishes we always order. Yummy. We usually balance the order off with a dish of greens, like shrimp broccoli or pork ong choy with harm ha. And if we’re in the rice mood, it’s fried rice. But I tell them to hold the shoyu and green onions. That’s because the kids don’t like it…hehehe!

41. David In Oregon says:

Good morning everybody!

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Saturday ❗ 😀

Last night I was craving Chinese food because of all the talk about Jack’s chop suey and fried rice. We went to On On and had minute chicken cake noodle, salt and pepper pork chop and couldn’t decide on a third dish so the waitress suggested butterfish. It was really good!

44. David In Oregon says:

Wow, two of my cousins are Kalani grads. The other one followed in her father’s footsteps and became a Red Raider.

Tomorrow is home coming game for the Falcons.

Night, LK. Good luck tomorrow!

@DiO – yeah, that’s it; must have been the fried rice . . . . 😉

47. David In Oregon says:

4G: Waffle Hot Dog on da brain. 😆 I blame it on all the talk of fried rice. 😆

Good night MLCers ❗ Still jet lag, must get some zzzzzz’s ❗

Good evening, DIO ❗ 😀

@LK – there were a lot of contests to enter . . . . 😉

@DiO – 😳

Must have been all the excitement of actually being able to have a Waffle Hot Dog! LOL 😉

52. David In Oregon says:

Good late evening everybody!!

4G: You didn’t see my post above, #114? That’s where I got the info from, KC’s website.

@4G #212, we’re going to the Food and New Products Show tomorrow afternoon, right after my beauty shop appt. Must enter all of their contests ❗

Wow, even get one website! 😉

Darn, I was put in purgatory. Here goes again.

@ct – LOL at itchy ears.

Okay – so I just got back from the Food and New Products Show. Had Waffle Hot Dogs! LOL. Of course, had to have one. To be honest, wasn’t that good. 🙁 But, there was a card:

* * * * *

HAWAII’S ORIGINAL!

Fundraisers, Parties & Events

* * * * *

LOL – wow, even get one website! 😉

57. ct says:

Good evening MLCers!!!

Hooooo … da ears getting itchy … hahaha …

Go Falcons!!! … proud of the Falcons … even though out manned and out gunned … they still have heart and dats da main ting … no give up

@ankles, great golf game ❗

@4G #203, Hello, 4G, how are you ❓

Good evening MLCers ❗ 😀

sally:

Just pictures of the a/c unit on the golf cart.

Marshmallow drive? That’s funny! I hope you got pics to post on FB.

I’ll take a bowl of fried rice….I’m beat…spent all day in the sun golfing…but the cart had a/c…can you believe that ❗ First time I’ve seen one on a cart, they usually use misters here instead. 4 man scramble…we ended up at -7, the winning score was -18…they bought a lot of mulligans but they each won $100 so they still made a little $$. I won a 500GB USB external drive and almost won the longest ‘marshmallow’ drive…yep, tee up a marshmallow and see how far you can drive it. I hit it about 50′. Many had the marshmallow stick to their club face.

Guud evening MCLers!

I’m hungry for some fly rice!

Hi, LK! 🙂

@Mark’75 – I’m with you on that. Go, Falcons!

@Masako (#196) – Thanks for the response. 🙂

67. David In Oregon says:

Good afternoon everybody!

Boy, I was feeling all hungry, until I read some of the posts….Looks like I’ll never go out to eat again!! 😯

Good afternoon MLCers ❗ 😀

@4G #198: I’m pulling for the Falcons this week. Both they and Nanakuli have their ‘perfect’ records on the line. Hope Kalani ends the season with a win, it’ll go a long way for their program.

@Seawalker (#194) – re: Kalani Falcons – yeah, maybe they are still not winning games, but they sure do seem to be chalking up the yards and are actually putting points up on the scoreboard! That is good news.

I agree with you on this weekend’s game with Nevada being the biggest game of the season. Intellectually, I also agree with you that we will lose to Boise. HOWEVER, (lol) there seems to be something a bit magical with the team this year . . . . 🙂

@Seawalker #194 😆 Ok, had my laugh for today ❗

Chinese food real ono, now I know WHY ❗ 😆

@4G (193) I have heard about how some restaurants reserve the rolls left in the breadbasket to another table or they give it to the pastry chef to be made into Bread Pudding.

There is a pake restaurant that kept thier live seafood in the bathroom (not Jacks) I thought that was kind of gross.

73. losthawaiian says:

Rodney @ #170. I remember those gallon jugs of rootbeer. They didn’t last very long in my house. To this day I still have a few of the glass mugs from A&W’s. I think I’ll make myself a rootbeer float tonight after dinner.

@LK – You know why they say you still feel hungry after having Chinese food? Nothing secret about “everything tastes better with ajinomoto”. Well, you end up drinking so much water at a Pake restaurant that you only think you’re walking out with a full belly.

Now, back to the double-dipped fried rice. A little ajinomoto added and the fried rice taste like heaven on earth. 🙂 I’ll save the roast duck curing process since you guys are already grossed out. LOL, what you see and taste is not what goes on behind the swinging doors of the kitchen.

@4G – Woo hoo, I’m going to watch the game tomorrow at my wife’s uncle’s house. To me, this is the biggest game of the season for U.H. They going take lickins’ from Boise. Your Govs are doing better than the Tigers and Falcons. Even with Ron Lee and a huge squad this year, Kalani is winless. But shhh, no tell CT that.

@Masako (#190) – I know I probably shouldn’t ask, but what do American restaurants do with the rolls that are still in the basket? 😉

@Seawalker (#183) – Yo! How you been, man? Long time . . . . I haven’t really been keeping up with high school football, but seems like the Govs are not doing too well this year. They got upset by Castle and lost to Kahuku. Kahuku looks pretty good this year . . . .

Big game this weekend for UH – looks to be a good game. I hope UH can pull it out; it would make for a REALLY interesting season!

I wish I hadn’t read that story about fried rice! LOL – nah, just kidding. As they say, “A$$ why taste ono, no?” 😉

Your story reminded me of a story my friend told me about Hong Kong. They were having lunch in a restaurant. The restroom was outside, in a “back alley”. My friend had to go to the restroom (fortunately after eating). So he goes in the back to alley, enters the restroom to find the cook chopping vegetables on the toilet seat cover! LOL.

@Seawalker #187, I may NEVER eat fried rice again ❗ What if someone “double dipped”, eew…….

@Seawalker – I know about the fried rice, the same way american restaurants reserve the rolls that are still in the basket.

@Seawalker – M is Pake but sometime I think im more pake than he is. I always buy things on sale or look for good deals so I can blow what I save when I travel.

I have some pencils that are in high school colors from Chunky’s drive inn. My mom told me they would give them away on game days at the old stadium. Does anyone know about this?

@Masako – Ancient Chinese secrets, eh? Okay, you asked for it and you got it.

You ever notice that whenever you order a big bowl of rice for a table of 5 to share that there’s always left over rice in the end? Try think… you are in a Pake restaurant. Pakes do not like to waste. Not even the rice. That leftover rice does not get thrown away. The leftover rice is used to make fried rice. Why do you think they always add shoyu and green onions into fried rice? So you cannot see another color besides white (sometimes people use the same spoon for beef broccoli and the rice). The green onions are there to make it smell good. And with any Chinese dish, always put in tons of oil to give the food a glossy look. So the next time you order fried rice….please beware!

Since the restaurant was so close to Farrington High School, gotta tell you guys about a rumble that spilled over into the restaurant’s kitchen. I think the beef was between a student and some lolo in the housing across of the school. Well, one of the cooks forgot to lock the screen door leading to the kitchen. Each of the cooks had their own knives and cleavers that they used. The knives were kept by the massive chopping block close to the screen door.

In comes a bunch of bloody punks fighting. They grab the cleavers and other knives. It was almost a mass murder right in the kitchen. In the end, the cooks talked these guys out of it. But man, the police came and I forget if it made the news or not. How’s that for live action in Kalihi?

I noticed you used the word Pi (pronounced “pee”). You or M must be Pake. Only a real Pake would use that terminology as the gau gee skin.

@Seawalker #183 and @Masako #184, thanks for your comments. Yes, life is precious. We have to appreciate every day we are here on this earth ❗

My classmate is fighting a losing battle for breast cancer. Doctor’s don’t think she’ll make it past this year. She was always the person organizing our class reunions. She won’t make it to our 60th year old reunion next year. 🙁

This is why I always express my love and good thoughts to everyone daily ❗

Have a great day everyone ❗ Hug your loved ones TODAY ❗

83. Rob@96744 says:

ct#155, Feeling lot better now…Gonna post something this weekend. Any request?
    Rodney #167, that was Frankies Drive inn

@Linda K and Seawalker – Life is precious…A couple weeks ago I found out on facebook about a classmate that passed away. He was captian of the Rough Riders football team. I was still in shock about that than came another post on facebook about another classmate who had passed away from cancer. I had known her in high school, very sweet person.

@Seawalker – thanks for the ancient Chinese secret! I gotta try that one day. The closest I got to making homemade Gau Gee is mashing up spam and adding green beans and stuffing it into the Pi. Got anymore secrets so share?

@LK (#180) – Life is so short and precious. When I was in my mid-30’s, a co-worker also died suddenly. He was just 40 something. Like Jeff, this person had a good spirit about him. One day you’re working with someone, next day the person’s gone. What a shocker! Very sad.

@4G – How them Governors doing?

@Masako – Wanna know another ancient Chinese secret? In the crispy gau gee or wor gau gee, the reason why it’s so juicy is this. You have to grind up pork butt as the main ingredient. Well, when you use frozen pork butt, a big chunk of it is the fat. That also gets grounded up. The more fat the better. But who cares right? We’re MLC and we go down swinging. LOL

The teri beef plate at chunkys was my fav.

87. PA says:

rod i was the opposite i liked andys better than kailua drive in except for loco moco’s
    until mcdonalds showed up
    but the best was always after the surf session
    concession stand at ala moana park burgers
    the truck at the ala wai chili & rice
    hauula kai burgers
    KCMAS officer club french fries
    kammies market nori rolls
    waimea kauai big save tree eggs rice and portaguese sausage
    then there was always the late nite visits to zippys

@DIO #173, no, I wasn’t actually up yet. Just woke up for a minute to check if Rod answered my email. Nope, he didn’t have time to. After I checked, I went back to sleep.

I just awakened at 7:30AM! My husband woke me up to tell me that our co-worker at the Labor Dept. died at age 52! Jeff was one of the “good guys”! Not a mean bone in his body. Who was it that said “only the good die young :?:” 🙁 More short handed at unemployment……

Will definitely count my blessings today ❗ Life is short, make it sweet ❗

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

Tomorrow Kalani HS will be having a fundraiser Garage sale and Craft fair in the cafe to help with the expenses for Project grad. Stop on by, masako and I will be there selling stuff.

Happy Friday!

It’s Breakfast at work Friday!

@hydroman (#171) – I remember Nuuanu YMCA gravy and rice! I would eat that after social club meetings that were held there when I was in intermediate school. That was good stuff, yeah? 😉

It’s Aloha Friday, no work till Monday… sorry, I’m 12 hours ahead.

@hydroman (#171) – The waffledog man is indeed a most generous person. Many years ago, our Jaycees chapter had a Halloween event for HUGS. It was for a good cause and the turnout was better than expected. I remember picking up the phone and cold calling the waffledog man to see if they could provide something for the event. Without hesitation, he volunteered to be there that night. Not just him, but with his waffledog machine and all. When the night was done, he just left and I didn’t even have the opportunity to thank him. Such class by him. He just gives and don’t expect anything in return. Perhaps that’s why he still endures until today?

Happy Friday!

@Masako: I know what you mean about not getting the old family recipes to taste the same. My gramma (Dad’s side) was a fantastic cook, and she never measured anything. My favorite Aunty got her to try to write down some of her recipes (quantities of ingredients, mostly) but it’s not the same. Her nishime was legendary.

@ankles & Rodney: Dad says he thinks it was “Tastee Treat,” but he’s not sure either.

@snow – I told mom and dad your story about “home sick” and “homesick” and that got a good laugh!

Good Morning! I feel so hungry reading all the post.

@Seawalker – I used to go to Jack’s all the time with family and friends. Good food, reasonable prices. I always wondered what happened to the place. I remember the gau gee mein had so much gau gee inside.

@Rob #131 I will tell her the next time I see her. Thanks for sharing the memories, it warms my heart. Yeah the food at Chunky’s was good, I miss it too.

Happy Friday everyone!

95. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Sheesh, now that you’re retired, you wake up earlier? 😯

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Friday ❗ 😀

@ankles, I’m back ❗ Where are you ❓

97. hydroman72 says:

@coasthaole #23 – now that you mentioned the shrimp burger at Byron’s, i think I’m going out to get one. I forgot about that, I use to get one late at night each week.

@m #37 & @Sally #52 – Wiki Wiki & Wimpy sounds familiar…which was it…

@Sally & kan – if you want to try waffledog, the original waffledog maker is still around, but the guy only does it for fundraisers. I can’t remember who or where, but was surprised that it was still around. I’m pretty sure someone from MCL will hear more about this…

@olderbrother #75 – gravy & rice? I didn’t want to mentioned that cause I didn’t think anyone else ate it. The best gravy and rice I had was at Nuuanu YMCA…15 cents for 1 scoop rice & gravy. Tasted sooo ono after swimming…(back in the 60’s)

Getting really hungry now. Signing off to go out to eat!

@losthawaiian – Do you remember when one year Kainalu Little League sold A&W root beer benefit tickets? I recall having a bunch of tickets good for 1 gallon of A&W root beer. Their root beer used to come out of a tap and was chilled so the gallon plastic container was filled with chilled root beer. I vaguely recall riding my bike with one hand while drinking from the gallon jug.

Didn’t Jolly Roger owner also have another drive in with a different name?

When I used to work in Kapahulu, I used to sometimes eat at St. Louis drive in. Only thing, had St. Louis delicatessen right next door. Do I want a plate lunch or okazu? St. Louis drive in had some ono bentos. I think had 3 different ones to choose from.

Where’s eddyo? What’s that landmark drive in located in Waimanalo?

@losthawaiian – Tastee Freeze – the place in Kailua next to Times market. That sounds right. Maybe that’s the one KAN was mentioning too as it has 2 “ee”s in the name. And being located in Kailua and Kaneohe makes sense.

I remember Zippy’s Saimin Lanai restaurant. There was this waitress there that we used to talk to. I can’t remember her name but she had a fun sense of humor. I remember asking her “So wea you went grad?”. She replied “St. Taniguchi’s”. I still use that line sometimes.

@DIO – Yes, RBB and ROB.

@ct – Thanks for the encouragement! And yes, I get to keep the camera! 😉

@snow – yes, the old Likelike drive in had car hop service. They had about 7 or 8 slanted stalls on the side of the building with car hop service. I still remember my friend’s words of advice: Never order saimin at a car hop. Hard to hold the hot bowl and eat saimin in your car. LOL

@sally – Byron’s still has Orange Freeze! Last time I had one, I learned that I was lactose intolerant. Couldn’t do the pencil maneuver since I was driving. Just had to rush home!

@Mikey KHS 74 – You mentioned Ted’s Drive in – my friend told me to try their bug-go-gi/kim-chee burger. Ho, WINNAHS! Messy as heck, but brok’ da mout!

108. ct says:

@Rodney – Thanks for keeping up the blog … wishing you well in your new endeavor, I know you’ll do great. Hope all is good for you … and you got to keep da camera …

109. David In Oregon says:

so does this mean we now have RBB and ROB (Rod’s Older Brother) ? 😉

@AnkleBYTERS – Okay, I’ll say it: Windy’s in Kaneohe. I remember eating there once. And it WAS windy! LOL

@tankobu – welcome back to MLC too. I know you’ve been lurking – and there’s nothing wrong with that. Good to have you back posting!

@older brother (#75) – Hey! Welcome brother #2 to the MLC HI blog. Glad you joined in on the fun. Looking forward to more memories of us and Kailua.
    *older brother – not to be confused with RBB.

113. ct says:

@Rob – Howzit going … hope all is well … hope you’re not keeping those late hours … hahaha … and thanks again for the tunes … just brings back so much …

114. Rob@96744 says:

Hey DIO: You forgot to mention also that only men responded to Rodney’s “Nickel Machines” post. They were all lost, did not know what those things were…

@DIO #152, right ❗ 😆

116. David In Oregon says:

Linda: “I know men have other things on their minds” yeah, sleeping, sports. 😆

Good night MLCers ❗ Dream of food and anything else that makes you happy ❗ 😀

Pleasant dreams ❗ 😀

118. ct says:

@Seawalker -Man unreal … many thanks to your family for satisfying many days of hunger … hahaha … somehow I remember a seafood noodle dish too … shoots … now dreaming of da oyster sauce chicken …

@DIO #148, I was only kidding ❗

I know men have other things on their minds 😆

120. David In Oregon says:

Linda: “What else is there?” Vegas……..Retirement. 😆

@Rob@96744 #146, Food ❗ What else is there ❓ 😆

122. Rob@96744 says:

Hey Rod: I’m really angry at you now…You know that all of us like to talk about FUUD. Now that I cannot enjoy the Chunky’s chili with rice that cost me 50 cents at last count, i’ll have to settle for the dollar menu McDouble, rubber burgers that taste nowhere near that of “the back store”…Masako, I am envious of you, I can still remember and taste the great food at Chunky’s in my mind. Like it was mentioned before, the Beef Cutlet was sooo goood. mmmm..Rodney, I hold you personally responsible for this!!!!!!!

@tankobu – Here’s a tidbit. You know Jack’s Restaurant in Aina Haina, the one Joe Moore and Jim Leahy always talk about? Before it was sold to the current owners, the guy was actually my father’s best man. He asked about the name and wanted to use it. It’s still around. Betcha thought it was Jack In The Box…ancient Chinese secret! LOL

124. tankobu says:

Seawalker, I loved Jack’s, all the dishes were terrific! Was always crowded – great memories!

No, this place was on a road that ran perdendicular to School St., either the street that the field was on or the one next, ewa bound. and WAY before your time. The last time I went there was in the late 50’s – I was a little kid at the time, haha!

125. Rob@96744 says:

ct#133; The saimin place you are probably referring to was at the corner of King and Hausten, it was called Kawamoto Saimin Stand.

@ct / @LK – Your memories are too good to be MLC. It was the Tuesday special. Forgot the price, but it was in the $2 to $3 range.

127. ct says:

@Seawalker – Was your family Jack’s??? That was my roommates favorite, I agree with Linda, I think it was the Wednesday special … Oyster Sauce Chicken with cake noodle … ono!!!

@tankobu – Yes, you are correct. Very good memory since my parents retired several years ago. My dad, the high school graduate, concocted a low cost dish that became his signature dish and ichiban money-maker.

Da place across of Lanakila field, was it on School Street? I’m familiar with that part of the hood. There was a store there that we used to buy chow fun for 25 cents after church and elementary school. But if it was before 1970, you got me.

Wow ❗ What a topic ❗ All I did was eat, sleep, play for 5 days straight in Vegas, and now everyone got me thinking about food some more ❗ 😆

@Seawalker #118, oyster sauce chicken with cake noodle, yum ❗ My husband’s favorite ❗

You just reminded me, the owner of Wong Kung Restaurant gave me $40 for my retirement gift. Will swing by one day soon for some delicious Chinese food ❗ 😀

131. tankobu says:

David in Oregon! Oyasumi nasai! haha!

@Rob@96744 #134, thank you. If you knew my Auntie, she acted like she owned the place 😆

@tankobu #126, thank you for your good wishes ❗ 😀

134. Rob@96744 says:

@Retiree: The proprietor of the Dog House was the Arakaki family…

135. ct says:

Okay … tried the KC corn dog … but wasn’t for me I guess … but used to like the hamburger steak with an ono ono shake.

I remember going to Alex Drive Inn for orange freeze and yes I think Sekiya’s still serves them. And somehow remember the snack bar near the Kapiolani Band Stand … they used to sell giant almond cookies. And of course da dollah chili plate at Rainbows with the slush float.

@Sally and yes … W & M on 9th? used to have da smoke coming out of the ordering window. People lining up for da 5 for dollah special.

Chunky’s – Didn’t their burger have the mustard/mayo mix too??? Funny but I used to order the teri steak with fries.

I remember going to one saimin place after ball games around there too …. hmmmm but forget da name …

@Ynaku – Yeah … I remember Cafe 100 used to eat there everytime I was on the Big Isle … my grandparents lived on Kinoole. And for some reason remember Tex’ s outside Honokaa???

@ct #127, yes, we had lots of fun ❗ We hadn’t seen our 21 year old son since last Christmas ❗ I gave him $200 to play and he chose to keep the money ❗ Smart boy ❗ 😀

It still hasn’t sunk in that: I AM RETIRED ❗ 😆

137. Rob@96744 says:

Masako#88: My mom’s name is Doris. I was a very young boy then, and used to pass the time away there folding plate lunch boxes, and was even allowed to cut the french fries. There used to be a stainless steel sink that they soaked the potatoes in, and cut the fries by hand. The french fries were good because back then they cooked it in shortening, yeah the hard white stuff that melted when they placed it in the fryer. Send your grandma my regards, and tell her that “Bobby” remembers her well and will never forget her. Even watched Mr. T make the saimin broth from scratch. Wow, it’s amazing that I can still remember all of this as if it were yesterday, but can’t remember what I ate for lunch…BTW, i’m longing for the day when I can taste the homemade chili that they made. Haven’t had that for over 40 years. It was only 50 cents back then..

Sally: The store in the back of Washington Intermediate was reffered to as “the back store”, they had the BEST hamburgers on the island, BAR NONE. The real name of the store was “The Candy Store”, and the proprietor had a carpet cleaning business on the side.

138. David In Oregon says:

tankobu!!! Ohayo!!

139. tankobu says:

Still trying to find somebody who remembers dis place on a side street across from Lanakila Field, now Joey DeSa Field. Grilled hamburgers on bun, shaved ice, Jimmy’s potato chips. Their saimin was somen noodles, served in a paper cone. Dat was a long time ago. The food was great!

140. tankobu says:

My favorite Jolly Roger food was the Porky Boy; JR on Dillingham. used to go after work at the cannery. Open air seating so we neva stink up da place so bad.

141. ct says:

Good evening MLCers!!!

@Linda – Welcome home. No worry you nevah hit da megabucks … main ting you had a blast. Goin get many more chances … sheeessshhhh … you’re retired … hahahaha

142. tankobu says:

Good evening Linda; nice to have you back!

@4G #115, Hello. One of these days, I’ll hit a big one ❗

With my slot play 40,000+ points, I am certain, Boyd gaming will comp my 4 days and meals again plus $75 slot pay to start off with next time ❗

This trip the Cal comp’d me 5 days & meals ❗ 3 meals a day was a treat ❗ What a change from Zippy’s 😆

144. tankobu says:

I join in with the Kalihi foodies, everybody mentioned the places I remember. Diner’s in Kalihi had great take out saimin, as good as the saimin house kine. Had good luncheon meat garnish.

145. tankobu says:

Great topic Rod, it’s great reading everyone’s food memories!

and Seawalker, I think I speak for everyone in THANKING your father for his GREAT food invention; he should be in a Chinese restaurant hall of fame!! Did he own Jack’s Chop Suey?

@M, Thanks ❗ 😀

Hello, DIO ❗ 😀

Good evening MLCers ❗ 😀

It’s good to be home again ❗

Welcome back home LK!

Guud evening MLCers!

149. David In Oregon says:

Linda: I never knew there was an ethnicity called Lolo. 😆

@LK – Thanks, you are still the good sport like everyone knows.

Don’t feel too bad. At my parent’s restaurant, there were several weddings. When you are a teenager, anyone in a gown or tux looked impressive. But some of the more wild parties occurred during Christmas. These companies booked the entire dining room. The liquor was flowing and so was the music. One time, this girl, probably about 8 years old did some kind of Thai or Malaysian dance. That was impressive. Wayne Harada was a regular. The bosses of Unity House came often. Judge Acoba came during lunch time. He always ate light because he would joke with my mother that he did not want to fall asleep in the afternoon. My father is laid up in a nursing home now. But whenever you see oyster sauce chicken with cakenoodles on the menus at Pake restaurants, that was my father’s idea.

@Seawalker #115, ok, here goes. I attended Aiea High School but was invited to a prom at McKinley High School. Big deal to get asked to another school’s prom! My date didn’t tell me where he was taking me for dinner after the prom. He said it was a “surprise” ❗ My date was in his tux and I was in a long formal gown. He drove up to Jolly Roger in Waialae and asked me what I wanted to have to eat for dinner. We walked up to the counter and actually dined there. I felt overdressed. You can guess his ethnicity…… I don’t have a picture of us at the event because he chose not to have our picture taken that evening. Our first and last date 😆

Went to school with a kid named Asato. Family owned KC and the famed waffle dog. Also, went to school with a kid named Teruya. They were the owners of New Eagle Cafe. Graduated with a kid named Higa from U.H. Says he has ties with Zippy’s. But junk, they never gave me any freebies. LOL

@LK – Okay, so you didn’t hit the megabucks this time. Guess the party is on hold. But now that you’re back, could you share about your date at Jolly Roger again? This topic is perfect.

@LK – WB! Too bad you didn’t win the big bucks . . . . . 🙁

BOT – Growing up in Kalihi, it was Kenny’s Burgerhouse and Jolly Roger Drive-Inn (on Dillingham). Mmmm – the Suzy-Q and Teri-King sandwiches were really good! Oh, and the treat was strawberry slush float!

I remember Scotty’s on Keeaumoku and out in Pearl City and their five for a dollar burgers. I also remember the sign with the running hamburgers in Market City.

I remember the opening of the Aina Haina McDonald’s being a big deal. Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion on a sesame seed bun! LOL.

High school (and a car!) opened my drive inn experiences to KC Drive Inn (carhops, waffle dog and ono-ono shake!) and Zippy’s McCully. LOL – it’s been a few times now when I’ve heard mention here about “Moiliili Zippy’s” and I couldn’t place it at first. LOL – I guess for me, when I think of Zippy’s I just naturally think of McCully – and going round and round that parking lot.

Speaking of which, I remember one drizzly night. I was driving my friend’s ’69 Roadrunner. We made a few rounds around Zippy’s and was trying to punch it pulling out of the parking lot. Ummm – did I mention DRIZZLY night? LOL. Note to self – not a good idea to punch a car while making a turn out of a parking lot with the road wet! We went fishtailing down King Street . . . . Make A!!

Just thought of something – wasn’t the “restaurant” portion of the McCully Zippy’s referred to as something like “Zippy’s Saimin Lanai”?

154. David In Oregon says:

KC Drive In Waffle Hot Dog Lovers…

according to the website, these are places that serve Waffle Hot Dogs

Here are a few retail outlets that make KC Waffle Dog
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Da Hawaiian Stop

1288 Ala Moana Blvd.
    FREE PARKING
    Mon-Fri 6:30 am – 6:30 pm
    Sat 7:30 am – 3:30 pm

155. David In Oregon says:

Goooooooood evening everyone!

Sheesh, I’m hungry and I have to come over here and read about food. Guess I better go find something to eat, and fast!!

I need to go to BI when it’s for vacation and not for Asthma Camp. I never get to play tourist, it’s all work.

@Sally – His name is Miguel.

@Sally #101: Next time at Blaine’s try their dry saimin and a burger. It’s something different. I liked it, my family was so-so.

My dad used to bowl every Saturday at Stardust Lanes. I had to go along and sit around, bored to tears (gee, no Nintendo DS, no PSP, no nothing). The payoff was lunch at Scotty’s Drive Inn where I looked forward to the hamburger boat, a blue plastic boat with the burger and fries.

Our 21 year old son joined us for 3 days ❗ He drove for 4 hours from San Diego ❗ People on the mainland think nothing of driving over to another state for a 3 day weekend ❗ I didn’t know it was a 3 day holiday weekend ❗ What recession ❗ Vegas was packed, anywhere we went ❗

We had lots to eat and lots of fun ❗

Deciding when we want to try again in a few months on a weekend WITHOUT a holiday and WITHOUT our children ❗

@Seawalker, I played the Megabucks machine. It dropped 2 Megabucks in the middle and on the right. The 3rd one on the left, kept dancing up and down, teasing me. I kept playing and playing hoping to hit it ❗ I won $300 on Megbucks, twice and put it all back in the machine hoping to hit the $11.4 million. No cigar! So no party this time ❗ 🙁

I earned so many points I’m almost “Emerald” VIP status ❗

@sally, we left Vegas at 2:35AM and arrived back in Hawaii at 5:35AM. I read on the plane so needed to nap! Had a 2 hour power nap. I’m ok now!

Kapahulu is nearly all covered. I remember Kay’s Fountain on Kapahulu on the lot where the current Hee Hing Chop Suey building is. It shared space with a mom n’ pops store that was owned by the Matsuokas. There was a long soda fountain counter with stools that swiveled. The hamburgers there were great, but cost 50 cents, about double for a burger at Rainbows.

Hey, Rod, my Auntie and cousins managed “The Dog House” in Kapahulu. Unsure if she owned it. Will ask at our next family gathering. Small world ❗

BTW, Ynaku, that was a pretty sneaky way to get to 100! Fist Bump!

When we go to BI for Asthma Camp, our meals are all made on site. Bkst, lunch, dinnah. So I don’t get to try all these places. We have about 2 hrs in Honokaa Town on the first afternoon after we take our luggage to wherever we’re staying. That’s when we hit Honokaa Fudge Shoppe. I’ve never even made it to Blaine’s cuz we’re too full by that time. But I gotta try their slush float one of these times yah?

I had Tex’s malasada when we were leaving on the last day of camp. Bumboocha Malasada!

oh, Bumboocha, that was the old post yah? LOL

167. Ynaku says:

❗ 8) 8)

168. Ynaku says:

No More Leonards in Hilo

169. Ynaku says:

The Pahala Store closed 🙁

170. Ynaku says:

Heard the plan to open a Small place in Kona at Kopiko Plaza

171. Ynaku says:

Hey Sally Tex Drive In burgers are ono too

172. Ynaku says:

Went to Chum Chum for Korean Bento $5 Rice, Wakame, Tonkatsu and Meat Jun plus 2 mandoo. No can go wrong. Right next to Hilo Lunch Shop. Rather spend $5 instead of $10 if I went to Hilo Lunch Shop and pick all the ono stuff I like eat. 😛

Where is everybody? LOL K-den, I going hog-cheese da count.

Ted’s Drive In… every time we passed that corner we used to yell “KIM CHEE TO GO!!!!”

Anyone who went to Washington Inter. I was told of a mom ‘n pop store behind the school that made the best hamburgers. You all used to go there.

What dat noise? Oh, just LINDA KATO “zzzzzzzzzzz” LOL

Must have been a great vacation!

I recently was pleased to meet the daughter of Charlie Higa, one of the Higa brothers that founded Zippys. I told her to tell him he was the perfect first boss to have and I have nothing but fun memories of my two years there.

And I’ll never forget his most generous offer of honoring my 10cents (total for two yrs) raise he was gonna add to the newly raised $2.oo/hr min wage when I left. “You know Jan, if you stay you’ll be making $2.10” BHAHAHA! Cute yah?

@snow: Sekiya’s has Orange Freeze? WOOT WOOT! I can walk there!

Oh yah, you guys, Pee Wee Drive In! The BESTest BBQ burgers along w/ the original W& M!

@Mike in Waipio: Yes, Merle and her brother Roy… we all worked at the same time. I’ve know Millie since school and yes, she was already working about 5 yrs by the time I got there. A lot of my original co-workers are still there!

@Masako: not sure about “MP”. Male or female? There was a Mae. She watched us like a hawk to make sure we weren’t giving away free food. LOL

Hey LK, when is the coming-home-a-winner party? Glad to hear you and your husband made it back safely.

@Mikey (#69) – I remember Ted’s Drive Inn. Used to go there and have my plate lunch before going over to Sinclair Library (to study, not to sleep). The food was always tasty, but yet they used to put an additional teriyaki sauce over the food. Broke ‘da mouth. Too bad they closed down. Just the parking situation was hairy as cars used to zip by from both directions.

Thanks for your good wishes ❗ I need a gazillion hours of sleep right now ❗

@Rob – I wonder if I know you or maybe your mom. I will tell my grandma that someone on the blog remembers her, she will be so happy.

181. Rob@96744 says:

Masako: Also grew up with Chunky’s food, my mom worked there when the place was new, fond memories of the place. When they sold out, it was never the same again. Fond memories of how Mrs. Terukina treated me like I was her own…Miss the place…

@Sally – I meant to say when you were at Zips McCully.

@Sally – Was there a cook with the initials MP working there while you were there?

@Sally – I used to hang out at the drive inn a lot and see Grandma working the take out window. I always wonder if I saw M.

@Visitor – Once my grandma brought home hamburger steak for dinner…..when I heard steak, I got all excited cause I thought she brought home Rib eye steak. I was so shocked when I opened the box.

@Seawalker – the walk in at Chunky’s never had crab, good thing otherwise I would have eaten all the profits! Yeah it was nice being able to get grinds whenever. Sometimes when I didn’t have lunch money I would go see Grandma at the drive inn.

@Kan – I wish I appreciated thier cooking skills and learned from them when I was younger. I have the recipes but it just doesn’t come out the same.

Weke & Newman – I agree. Toppers and Big Way Burger.

Toppers later became BeeHive. That is when I remember going there often. My neighbor worked there and would give us a little more fries in our bag… 🙂

Big Way Burger- kimchee fishburger….mmmmmmm. Slush Floats. They also had great fried chicken.

Still get Sunny Side. Everyone knows about their pies. They also make a good liver and onions. Oh yeah, and their breakfasts are good too. Used to go there often when they were behind the old bus station where Longs is now.

@snow – fist bump! Dad will get a kick out of that.

187. Mike in Waipio says:

Pee Wee Drive In at the mauka-Waikiki corner of Punahou and King had a great mahi sandwich — a generous slab of tender mahimahi.
    Scotty’s on Keeaumoku, just mauka of Stardust Lanes, gave you a look (no audio) at the screen of Kapiolani Drive-In Theater (located in the Holiday Mart/Daiei/Don Quijote area).
    The Dog House on Kapahulu used to have 5 tacos for $1. My friend and I each used to order 15; then made a mess on the grass at Kapiolani Park near the tennis courts.
    @sally: At Zippy’s McCully, did you work with Merle U. (from Kaimuki)? We changed hangouts when Makiki opened (around ’75 or ’76?), eventually meeting up with Millie.
    Although I haven’t been to a Dairy Queen in years, I used to get my orange freezes there when I was young. Maybe they still have ’em.

188. Newman says:

Toppers on Cane Street in Wahiawa. Five burgers for a dollar too.

Now I am also getting flash backs to the “fancy” “townie” coffee shops like Woolworth, Sears and Pennys.

189. snow says:

sally – they have orange freezes at sekiya’s! maybe at likelike drive inn, too.

190. snow says:

mmm… love kc drive inn and alex’s drive inn! when we moved here, my mom wanted to go to the places that she and my dad used to frequent 20 years prior! kc drive inn – the one in waikiki – was one of their favorites! waffle hot dog… yummmy! so good when it’s hot! i used to like their coffee shake, too. at alex’s, we always had ice cream… we went for dessert, not dinner. i used to stare at the signage because my uncle – he worked for dairyman’s – had hand lettered everything! anyone remember when likelike drive inn had carhops, too? i think they still had them until the 80’s… i remember my parents stopping there after picking me up from liberty house. lemon chiffon pie… it’s still a favorite!

kan and sally – they still have waffle hot dogs at events from time to time (last time i had one was at the jodo mission bon dance… before that, at children’s day at the japanese cultural center… not that i keep track, they always have them!)… and i think they used to sell them at baldwin’s sweet shop in waimalu, too!

kan – thought your dad used to buy you a chocolate shake when you were homesick! lol… “did he freeze it and send it to you?” 🙄 aisus.

LK – glad you had a great time in vegas!

@KAN: pink horns. HAHAHA!

@Masako – no wonder you’re such a good cook. It’s in your blood.

@sally – I’ve never had a waffle dog either. I confessed this to several locals and their jaws dropped, eyes got big, and they looked at me as if I’d grown pink horns. We’re so deprived, yeah? 🙂 There’s supposed to be a place in Waikiki that sells ’em again, but not supposed to be as good as KC’s.

193. older brother says:

one blogger mentioned, Bandstand at Kapiolani Park had a small place and if you didn’t have money, or not much, you could get rice with gravy.
    Rod, you probably weren’t even born. Across from the Kailua Theater was a root beer place, I think it was called Root Beer King. First time you got rootbeer in an ice cold mug.
    Oh, don’t forget all of the bowling alley fast food, I think this was before drive-in.

@sally – Yes, I remember McCully Zippy’s used to be the happening place in the 70’s and 80’s. On Friday or Saturday nights, it was jammed packed in the parking lot. All the hot rodders and wannabes made it their regular stop there. I still see it in my mind. Somebody pulled out of Zippy’s and right on King St., did a doughnut burning rubber.

@Masako – That’s the best thing about a family-owned business; you get to eat whatevers and whenevers, yah? For me, I am a big seafood fan. So, I’d sneak into the walk-in freezer, grab a crab leg or claw, toss it in the wok that was always filled with boiling water (for the won ton mein stuff), and snacked away.

195. visitor says:

@M – You’re right about the Market City burger place. Don’t recall W&M ever being there. I’m sure at one time, it was Wiki Wiki.

@Masako – Chunky’s had the best beef cutlet w/ gravy all over. The hamburger steak was equally good.

So glad that Rainbows is still in business and putting out old style plate lunches.

@Ynaku: oh, that’s gonna leave a mark. LOL

197. Ynaku says:

OK, I’m in Volcano and can’t remember what that old name of the store is in the village. Not Volcano Store, the other one. Use to buy Hot Chocolate from the machine in front. Used to burn the tongue but some good when freezing.

198. Ynaku says:

@sally BANG! (shooting blanks)

199. Mikey KHS 74 says:

During my hanabada days, we used to hang out at Ted’s Drive-Inn across from the Human Society & The Contessa condo. Mostly the seven of us, Calvin Kondo, James Itokazu, Neal Shiramizu, Kyle Yabusaki, Dave Kanda, myself & the late Kenshi Yamauchi. During the old stadium days, we used to eat at Chunky’s & Goodie Goodie’s after playing tackle football at Moiliili field. During my Intermediate days, after surfing at Pop’s, we’d go to Rainbow Drive-Inn for the $1.oo chili plates. Ahhh, those old carefree days!

@M: Little didja know eh?

Still speaking of Zips… I went to a bridal shower this past weekend and I recognized one of the guests as my former mgr! I asked her if she was Geri and we got to talking about our crew. Ask any old timer about the Roosevelt/Kaimuki crew in 1973-75. We kicked a##!

I used to phone in my orders all the time at Chunkys and when I picked up my food at the pickup window masako’s grandma would hand me the food.

Again, don’t shoot me, but I never ate a Waffle Dog either. Man, did I even grow up here?

aigoo

@ weke- no DQ on the hill

@ hydroman72- I do remember Scotty’s drive in in Pearly City and also Bluebird’s too- its such a blur

@ lostHawaiian- yeah Andy’s and Byron’s Drive in were owned by the same family!

I miss the guava freeze from KC drive inn. Thier french fries was just like Chunky’s. I used to go there and order a waffle dog, fries and either the guava freeze or ono ono shake. I miss that place.

…and Orange Freeze! Does anyplace still make that? I love Orange Freeze! It was my only crave while I was pregnant and used to go to Alex Drive In for it.

Masako: I was waiting for you to tell us about Chunkys! Okay, so don’t shoot me but I can’t ever remember eating there. I mean, I must have, maybe a couple times (?). It wasn’t in my ‘hood and we always had to walk home right away after football games. By Jr/Sr year I was working at Zips so, well, GAWD I MISSED OUT!

KAN:

I Googled it and all I come up with is “Tasty Treat” …. mayBEE it was Tastee Treat ? 🙂

My grandparents were part owners of Chunky’s drive inn so I grew up eating their food. The hamburger deluxe was great and the french fries was the thick crinkle cut kind. Since my grandparents lived with us and Grandma worked at the drive inn I would call her to bring home dinner for me if my mom was making something I didn’t like. When my mother was too tired to cook she would tell Grandma to bring something home. We would have stew, mahimahi, curry, gouloush, spare ribs, fried chicken. Whenever we had picnics we would take some raw teri beef to cook on the grill and mac salad. When I had field trips Grampa would make a bento for me to pick up on my way to school. For a treat we would go down to the drive in for orange freeze, slush float, shrimp boat or the rib eye steak plate. The food was so ono!

OL:

Oh yes, I remember W_ndy’s….we hung out there after football/basketball games.

@Ankles – actually may have been Tasty Tr*ee*t. I gotta ask my folks – I’m getting all MLC 🙂 There was a double-e in there somewhere . . .

@OL – I thought something used to be there b/4 BK. Was it Pali Palms? Aigoo. . .

@Linda: welcome back! Hope you had a good time!

Speaking of Zips, can’t leave THEM out! When I worked at McCully Zips (Makiki wasn’t built yet) it was THE hangout for hot rodders, surfers, little league kids, nightclubbers, families.. the place was HAPPENING!

I look back and wish I had saved my slush stained little white dress with the Zippy’s Menehunes all over it. My Sh0es too, all dotted with slush. ahhh, the memories.

The Ilima Catering family (Ueharas) had a drive in where Zippy’s Makiki is now. Was called… get this… Ilima Drive In. Purty Durn Clever eh? LOL

My doctor’s office was right next door and so, like Rod, my mom always took me to get lunch after a doctor’s appt. They, too, had a really good “secret sauce”, made the burgers even more ono!

My doctor’s office was where the takeout area is now (King St side) and Ilima’s was where the side parking lot (King St side again) is now. I don’t know what was on the Young St side. Man, the Higas sure got a good piece of property!

KC drive inn at the beginning of Waikiki. They had car hops on roller skates that come to your car to take your order and bring your food.

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Thursday ❗ 😀

We’re back from Vegas ! Had a wonderful time!

@72view: Burgerland was on corner of Monsarrat and Campbell. It was the farthest we’d go when we cut o…. left school for lunch.

Wimpy’s wasn’t the real name of the Market City one, I just called it that for lack of a better name that an 8yr old could muster. Gee, of all people, I’d have thunk you’d remember the real name of that one!

Think Think Think!

217. Ocean Lover says:

How can the KANEOHE peeps forget this one? It used to be where Burger King is now.

C’mon….put on those thinking caps……squeeze da brain………..

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

I’ll give you a hint “W_ndy’s”

Used to go there and play the rifle game.

And it AIN’T the square hamburger. 😉

OL

218. 72view says:

Kenny’s was were i had my first “date”, it was 3 in the afternoon i had a small coke she had a sprite and we shared a bag of french fries. Put me back 35 cents…lol. Jet burger on Lagoon Drive, building still there think its a truck rental place now. Nakatani Drive Inn in Nanakulis where you might have run into Richard Chamberlin grinding a plate lunch. Wimpy’s hmmm…think they were on King across from Straub Hospital… Wasn’t Burgerland the drive in at Market City with the running hamberger sign?

My first Loco Moco was back in the 70’s when we went for a bowling tournament at Hilo Lanes. It was the most amazing thing! I had one every day and was only 55 cents at the bowling alley.

I came home and saw it on the menu at Bea’s Drive In and was so happy but it was $2 something! I asked the counterlady “Ha-come? You put 2 burgers and 2 eggs or something?” She got very defensive and said “No! Just one!”

Ho, no need yell. She scared me.

There was a small concession at Kapiolani Park near the old Bandstand called Rosie’s. Hambuger steak plate lunch and a can drink was only a buck.

In high school that Market City place was Shari’s Drive In, same peeps who had the Ala Moana concession.

Here’s another one: Burgerland on Monsarrat Ave. Best mac salad! And they had Char Siu plate. ho, they were guud!

That Market City place, I used to call it Wimpy Burger cuz of the “running burger”. Too much Popeye the Sailorman.

W&M on 9th Ave in Kaimuki had the best burgers. And they had those 5 cent sodas, smart move. Kids with barely any money could still scrounge up 5 cents to get a little bit of green river soda. The cup was the size of those cups at the dentist office you use to rinse and spit. LOL

The new W&M… sorry, but it’s a fail. I lived across the street when they opened and we went for our burgers, remembering how ono they were. Big disappointment. Big. Huge.

Proof, once again, that you can’t go back. boo

224. Ynaku says:

Sun Sun Lau also closed now and the place turned into County Elderly Center

@91boz #26, I remember those drive-ins except Kaneko’s, no can visualize. Barney’s Burgerhouse’s Smashed Cow… a bacon hamburger? Liked Kam’s but Mrs. Kam was a grouch, never smiled. Also had Tastee Freez by the chop suey in Ewa Beach. Pop worked at Bigway Wahiawa so I frequented Bigway Burger and had their kimchi burger…a lot. At home a favorite snack was kimchi on white bread.

High school time, we were regulars at KC Drive In, Chunky’s and Scotty’s Pearl City.

226. Ynaku says:

Mun Chung Lau for chinese “I like one #4” (closed down 😥 )

227. Ynaku says:

KK Tei and KK Pantry for Japanese fuud

228. Ynaku says:

Dad used to take us to Tou Inn for his Pork Tofu or Tomato Beef

229. Ynaku says:

I forgot about Drop In small keed time.

Here’s another, how could I forget this one….my ex’s family owned it…Lau’s Drive In in Kahaluu .

@hydroman72 , @Dean wasn’t that burger place called Wiki Wiki Burger at Market City?

Palowai drive inn is where McD’s on Waialae is now.

Mynah Bird drive inn became Jolly Roger and now Zippy’s in Kahala

Donald Duck drive inn became Bea’s drive inn and now that Jaapnese restautant that I can’t remember the name near Kaimuki HS.

232. Ynaku says:

And there was the Bowling Alley for some gravy burgers

233. Ynaku says:

Had this place by Ice Pond called Gwen’s.

234. Ynaku says:

Verna’s If can, can, no can, Vernas

235. Ynaku says:

Oh yeah cannot forget Dairy Queen on Waianuenue Ave. They changed name to Kozmic Cones (same owner). Still go there for my banana split 😛 They also have Tripe Stew on Thursdays and their curry stew is nice and meaty.

236. Ynaku says:

Kandi’s on Kawailani street.

237. Ynaku says:

Going to Hawaii Comm College we went the Chaddy’s. We just ate whatevas

238. Ynaku says:

Blaine’s Drive In for the Korean Chicken Drummettes. So much garlic, I keep being reminded of it throughout the day

239. Ynaku says:

Koji’s Bento my other favorite Loco place. Their’s come with Kim Chee 😀

240. Ynaku says:

Cafe 100 for my Super Loco or Kilauea Loco. But they make guud plate lunch at a reasonable price. Cheaper than most places.

241. Ynaku says:

Hilo Side: K’s Drive In owned by my wife’s aunty. Favorite is Teri Pork. But used to order beef teri burger, fries and fruit punch. called it B1 special after my CB handle. The girl (now my wife) knew what I wanted. 😉

242. 91boz says:

Good Morning To All!

Where I grew up in Ewa Beach the first drive inn was in the 60’s was called Tropical Drive Inn located in the newly built Ewa Beach shopping center. Later on it changed to Barney’s Burger House home of the “Smashed Cow” and is now the home of Shiro’s.

Before Tropicals in the early 60’s there used to be a small diner called Kaneko’s located on the triangle where Makule rd. meets Ewa Beach rd. I know they served saimin but I really don’t recall what else they served there. I only remember the unpaved parking lot and large Kiawe tree. After Kaneko’s a pizza/ sub diner opened up. I remember ordering their “Ham Grinder” a ham sub sandwich with swiss cheese. This was in the mid 60’s before Mr Sub’s or Subway!
    In high school the place was called Kam’s popular for their after school snacks.

In Waipahu there used to be Clocks drive inn- good tacos, Original Leeward drive inn -best fried noodles. I don’t recall the name of the drive inn where Diner’s was located was it Tropical also?

In Pearl City there was Scotty’s also Blubird where Flamingo’s is located. I remember that the original Scotty’s (near Markrt City?) was my first drive inn experience . Hamburger, french fries, and coke is what we used to order on Sundays after my dad’s softball game.

Ankles – that was Tast*ee* Treat in Kane`ohe. My grandma used to live down the road by the Tastee Treat. Oddly, we didn’t do there very much. But my dad used to buy me chocolate shakes from there on the days when I was home sick. (I loved school, so they knew I was sick when I needed to stay home.)

In the days before Windward Mall, my family would to go Ala Moana to do Christmas shopping, and we’d stop by Kenny’s for dinner on the way home.

Good morning MLCers.

When my parents had their restaurant, we used to always walk over to Diners for some treats. That’s the Kalihi one and not the one Rod mentioned near Keeaumoku. Those were my teenage years all the way until I started working full-time. I was always a saimin eater. So I cannot count the number of times I had their saimin with a slice of teri beef on top.

A little further down the street on Waikamilo was Meg’s Drive In. In fact, I still think it’s there. On Sundays, we used to always buy breakfast from that place. You might be wondering why we went out to buy our food when my parents restaurant served Chinese food 7 days a week. No reason. Just wanted food from the neighborhood.

I still go to Rainbows once in a while. I like their mixed plate. But no gravy over the rice. Gotta watch my figure!

245. CoastHaole says:

Rainbow Drive-In in Pearl City. Best fried noodles ever! Also Pokai Bay Drive-In was always a favorite. Mmm … Shrimp Burgers at Byron’s, best late night (early morning) after a night of clubbing.

246. losthawaiian says:

Lastly, The A&W in Kailua had coney dog tuesdays back in the 70’s. We used to spend five dollars to get a large (qt.) of rootbeer and use the rest for coney dogs at $.25 each. Thats a lot of coney dogs! Basically a chili cheese dog w/ onions.

247. losthawaiian says:

In Hilo, I remember K’s drive-in and Cafe 100. There was also a small place by the KTA on Puainako which had some tasty teri-beef sandwiches and good plate lunches.

248. losthawaiian says:

Rodney, wasn’t the place by Times supermarket called “Tastee Freeze” or something like that. They had those chocolate dipped soft-serve ice cream cones, yum!

249. losthawaiian says:

I believe Andy’s and Byron’s were owned by the same family. I used to love their hamburgers with their mustard-mayo sauce. The same family also owned Orson’s in Kailua and Wards warehouse as well as the Chowder house.

Tasty Treat in Kaneohe with their ‘secret sauce’ on the hamburger….thousand island sauce probably.

251. hydroman72 says:

Dean – You mean W&M was in Market City before going to 9th Ave????

252. Dean says:

@ hydroman, #14: I remember that sign! That was W&M burger, according to a photo they have taped to the window of their current location. I thought it was Bar-B-Q Burger or something like that.

I remember when I was 7 and going to summer fun at the Atkinson YMCA: the french fries there were great. Never had anything like it since. They were always crispy.

And I recall eating barbeque sticks at some place in Kapahulu. Probably when I was 5. Hadn’t had teri beef like that ever again.

253. hydroman72 says:

Goodie Goodie Drive Inn at the corner of King & Coolidge.

254. hydroman72 says:

There was also a drive inn at Market City. I just remembered the neon lights of a hamburger running around. Does anyone recall the name?

255. hydroman72 says:

Alex Drive Inn by Kaimuki HS

256. hydroman72 says:

W&M Hamburgers on 9th Ave. (They are still in Kaimuki by City Mill)

257. hydroman72 says:

Scotty’s at Keeamoku & Pearl City

258. hydroman72 says:

Chunky’s Drive Inn…next to the old Hon. Stadium

259. weke says:

Scotty’s Had 5 for dollar burgers

260. weke says:

Bea’s Mahi Mahi Plate ? Rodney now hungry.

261. weke says:

volleymom2 was there a DQ up on the hill?

In the vicinity where I lived.. there is Byron’s Drive Inn which is still operating. Favorite place to hang out after the fb games. At Moanalua Shopping Center, used to go to Buzz Burger all the time, and yeah, the burgers were 25cents and the soda 10 cents. There was also a Sam’s Fountain that made really good banana splits. My family used to go there all the time and bring the 13 x 9 pan to put the banana boats in. When Sam saw this… he knew exactly what to make. Jumbo’s was also nearby but didnt go there. Not much eateries around the area back then where I lived. Moanalua Shopping center is a whole new world now!

263. weke says:

Bigway Burger- Teri Plate with Kimchi

I’ll leave the other Kaimuki / Kapahulu Drive Ins to the KHS gang, see what they write when I wake up in the morning.

Good night!

Zippys Kaimuki changed over quite a few times. It was Tubby’s, then Crown Drive In, then Zips. Same thing… used to walk 4 blocks to get slush float. But at least it was 4 blocks straight across, didn’t have to walk home uphill all the way.

Rainbows is the King of Drive Ins. We used to walk there for our slush floats, which they still make with a scoop of real ice cream, not the soft-serve kine.

I go as far back as the 45 Chili. (It was 45 cents). Then came 75 Chili. Dollah Chili. Was all uphill from there.

Everything is still ono, altho’ the older I get, the more I cannot eat so much from there… too much grease.