Real Men Do Cook

I don’t cook.

First of all, a big MLC mahalo to Yoshi for the ono Portuguese bean soup than he made for us.  Fed us for 2 nights!  And he was right – the bigger the sausage, the spicier the soup.  I didn’t even have to put Tabasco sauce inside.

Which got me to thinking – how many of you MLCer guys out there cook?

As I mentioned, I don’t cook.  My excuse is that I’m afraid of using a knife – in that I might cut myself.  And I DO need my fingers for my job.  You know, to type and stuff.

** okay, lame excuse **

I suppose when I was a kid, the way I helped out my mom was by staying out of the kitchen while she was cooking (another lame excuse).  And so I wasn’t brought up around preparing meals.

But I do know how to wash dishes!

Even my dad didn’t cook.  Hey!  That’s why I don’t cook.  My dad never cooked!  (excuses getting lamer).

I remember once my dad concocted this dish with ground hamburger and Campbell’s vegetable soup.  I thought it was “meh“, but my brother raved about it so my dad used to make it all the time whenever he had to cook dinner for us – which wasn’t too often.

But I’ll give it to him – he made some killer kal-bi.

Other than that – it was a trip to visit the Colonel.  One day I’ll rerun my old post about KFC and why I didn’t eat it for about 10 years.

I did make spaghetti once.  And butter mochi – which turned out real good.  But that’s about it.

When we were small, cooking a meal for ourselves meant frying – yes, frying – a couple of eggs, putting on a bed of rice, some ketchup and pepper and I was good to go.  Remember, those days didn’t have mircowave ovens. 😉

When I was unemployed and Paula would come home from working all day – I felt guilty because I didn’t have dinner made.  Poor thing – she would come home from working 8 hours, change clothes, then start preparing dinner – as I wrapped up watching Judge Judy, the KITV 5:00 news, the KHNL 5:30 news, and the KHON 6:00 news.  Sad case, yeah?

So then, how many of you guys out there cook?  I don’t mean just for special occasions, but on a normal basis?  How did you learn to cook?  How do you decide what to cook?  How do you know if you have all the ingredients available to make the meal?  Do you plan ahead or just fly by the seat of your pants as you’re preparing it?  Do you have a specialty dish?  A secret recipe?

You girls can chime in too.  Just go easy on me, k? 😆

I think I’m very fortunate that Paula cooks for me and the girls – otherwise we’d be having fried eggs and rice for dinner every night…

200 Responses to “Real Men Do Cook”

If “Real Men Do Cook” and Rod, you don’t cook… ??????

lol…j/k

I’m waiting patiently for new post.

Choi’s Yakiniku is the one in the back side, right? Cuz Choi’s Family Restaurant is the one on King St, across from my bldg.

Happy birthday Opso !!!

Hey Ankles, is that Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree I see? LOL

5. David In Oregon says:

Rodney: 😆

@TwoFish – Funny you should mention Choi’s Yakiniku. Driving by there a few month ago, I told Paula that I wanted to try that place. She said we’ll try it after I got a job.
    So after I landed my job, we were thinking “Ok, now where was it that we’re supposed to eat?”

It finally came to us a few days later. Talk about MLC. LOL

7. David In Oregon says:

Good evening MLCers. 😀

Good evening MLCers ❗

Hope everyone had a restful Sunday ❗ 😀

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Sunday ❗ 😀

@Seawalker (11/6, 1:49 p.m.) – Yup; gotta hand it to Boise State, especially their defense. I thought the Hawaii defense actually did a pretty decent job. We got “schooled” – hopefully, we learned something from the experience that will make us better. UH still has a lot to be proud of this season – we weren’t expected to have this many wins this season. Go Warriors! Let’s finish the season (including the Hawaii Bowl) strong.

The Kahuku situation is really sad, especially for the team – but if they violated the rule . . . . . I was debating whether it would have been better to let them finish the playoffs, then lower the boom.

Good evening everyone ❗ 😀

DIO 😆 Very funny ❗

12. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everyone. 😀

What a USC/ASU game…another ASU loss, a game they should have won….a lot more exciting that UH’s blowout….key play was a blocked PAT that was returned the other way by USC for 2 pts. Kickoff return TD, two interception return TDs…almost 5oo yards of return yardage ❗

It was a tough loss, but the way I figure, if UH and Boise wins out, UH will finish the WAC with a solid 2nd place. If Fresno St. or Nevada beats Boise, UH could be co-champs. Either way, much better than the ‘experts’ predicted.

15. David In Oregon says:

Linda: It’s because they were welcoming a Blue state to their turf. 😆

Good afternoon/evening MLCers ❗ 😀

The game was too much BLUE for me. Why was the turf blue ❓

I’m glad I didn’t watch it…had network problems at home…when the odds makers has the spread at 21, that’s a clue.

@4G – It wasn’t that Hawaii played bad, it was because Boise is that much better. Boise would have given Georgia in the Sugar Bowl dirty lickins’ too. But Hawaii has a lot to play. They want in on the MWC. Look for Hawaii to take it out on the next 3 opponents.

Got invited to watch the game by another of my wife’s uncles. So the poke, immitation crab, chips, wasabe nuts, soy beans, soda, beer, french fries, and whopper softened the blow. There goes the diet! Even my slippers feel tight.

What you guys thought of the Kahuku situation?

@Seawalker – Whooooo – you called it. As president Obama said, “it was a shellacking . . . ” Dern! I guess we lost the “magic’ this game. If only the offense showed up . . . . LOL.

35 minutes…to go!

22. matt says:

Go warriors!!…ah, who am I kidding…Go Bows!!

2 more hours till kickoff!

Breezy out here but not raining this morning so far.
    Go Warriors!

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Saturday ❗ 😀

Just getting to sleep now, so many projects to do, so little time 😆

Matt, we’ve been eating restaurant food for so many days, grilled cheese w/spam sandwiches and soup was a real treat.

Our house is cool every day now with our Solar fans ❗ Best investment I ever made ❗ 😀

27. David In Oregon says:

matt: sounds like a MacGyver setup. 😆

Gotta love a man who can “make do”. No need fancy schmancy equipment… Pan and a Brick. arr arr arr.

29. matt says:

@Linda Kato, the weather is turning cold up here in California, so it’s soup and sandwich time for us. panini with some sort of winter squash or root vegetable soup. kabocha, butternut, parsnips, carrots…whatever looks good from the garden or the farmers market paired with some panini with salamis, provalone and good crusty bread. no need for a panini press…just get a cast iron pan and a brick.

30. Yoshi says:

@Ynaku – When I use 3 or 4 cans of stewed tomatoes w/the short ribs stew, it will still have a rich, creamy and thick brown gravy texture. You can transform your hamburger stew into curry using 1 box of the S&B Golden Curry mix. – might have to leave out the tomatoes?

Grandpa duties suit you, ankles. You’re awesome!

Shauna: My boss is getting married tomorrow, EVERYONE’S been waiting for this day! Kawaiahao Church then reception at Iolani Palace. There are a couple of surprises that we are in treat for, I’ll tell you what it is AFTER.

So… to my boss Dr. Wade Takenishi and his Bride to BEE, the beautiful (inside AND out) Kehaulani Christian, CONGRATULATIONS!

Hey Rod, testing to see if this goes into approval status first. Using a brand new iMac computer. Graphics look unreal better, even the Gravatars.

33. David In Oregon says:

And, that doesn’t factor in whether not a person is on the Reservation or not.

34. David In Oregon says:

ankles: I never was confused before, but now, after moving out here, I sometimes have to stop and think of the time difference. At one time of the year, you’re one hour ahead of me. At another time of the year, we’re at the same time.

We’re always 3 hours ahead of HI…and peeps still get confused ❗

We’ve eaten out so often this month. Tonight it is soup and sandwiches for dinner.

37. Ynaku says:

It’s so wet and wild in Hilo. Making baked Chicken with Progresso crumbs. Oven helps warm up the house. It’s so toasty upstairs but I’m doing work in my office downstairs.

DIO, so smart ❗ MLCers are so fortunate to meet so many nice people on this blog ❗ 😀

Rod, thank you for continuing this site for all of us ❗ 😀

39. David In Oregon says:

Linda: You’re welcome. I figure I’d post about the time change, for those who might want (or need) to know. I always get confused when the actual time change happens, as I’m dealing with friends and family across different time zones. That’s why I have my ipod setup with various time zones.

DIO, thanks for the heads up. Our daughter is in Omaha so instead of 5 hours ahead, it will be only 4. I always seem to call her at a wrong time since I’m home all the time now.

41. David In Oregon says:

REMINDER: For those of you that have friends or family in the Continental US, or who do business with people here, be aware that Daylight Saving Time ends this coming Sunday, November 7th. At that point, the time difference between Hawai`i and the West Coast will be 2hrs (instead of 3). Time difference between Hawai`i and the East Coast will be 5hrs (instead of 6).

If you wish to find out the time in Hawai`i, or any other US State or Territory, go to this link and choose the time zone:

42. TwoFish says:

Rod – why no cast iron pan anymore to fry eggs? Ate lunch at Choi’s behind Walmart. Kalbi and panchan was good. First time eating acorn gel.

43. David In Oregon says:

Good afternoon everyone!!

Current temp in my neighborhood is 58 degrees, humidity is 77%, and winds are blowing at 2mph. It’s about 20 minutes before sunset, and the end of another wonderful day.

Good afternoon MLCers ❗ Happy Friday ❗ 😀

Thanks Kage !

I hope the weather gets better.

good morning all.

@M- enjoy the beach!

Happy Friday!

48. Yoshi says:

@ hydroman72 – premium sake from Marukai. You can boil down (reduce) the shoyu – I use yamasa or aloha.
    @jaydee – let me know how the stew turns out. When I crock pot pork butt, I make pukas in the meat and insert minced garlic, pepper and seasoned salt (such as, Hawaiian Kine salt) let it rest overnight in the fridge, coat it w/flour before I brown it, to sear in the juice. thinly slice an onion and brown till translucent, add butter, left over veggies and flour to make a roux and coat over the seared pork that’s in the crock pot. on low for 4 hours and flip it for another 4 hours. Time will vary, depending on your crock pot – I have 5 – oh, no, I have 4 – my wife gave one away when I wasn’t looking.

good luck…………..

49. jaydee says:

Thanks for the recipe Yoshi. I’ll try it out…my mouth stay watering right now thinking about it!

50. hydroman72 says:

@yoshi
    I’ll give it a try, the only thing is I didn’t use premium shoyu. I used premium Okinawan sake (since I didn’t want to drink it)
    btw – what is premium sake?

51. Yoshi says:

@ hydroman72
    My wife likes the Okinawa Pork recipe from the Hongwanji (organge) cookbook III, page 99. Simple recipe – Premium shoyu and sake is the key. Eh, didn’t you taste my stew before?

Aunty Paula, thanks for the rice recipe. Mr. K is blaming the rice cooker for the uncooked rice. If another batch comes out junk, we will throw the pot away and use a new one.

53. hydroman72 says:

I don’t cook much now, because I’m just lazy.
    I have to be in the mood for cooking but when I do, I try all kinds of things from stews, sauces, salads, etc. I like to experiment by combining things together and making different taste (like soda cracker & mustard).
    The bad thing is I like the kind of foods that grandma & grandpa ate like, pig feet soup & okinawan shoyu pork. These are probably not healthy but they sure tasted good.
    Anyone with recipes for these?

54. hydroman72 says:

I tried the Hongwanji cook books but my dishes didn’t turn out good. I use to think the people who put it together left something out so it didn’t taste the same. Found out that the cooking process what the thing you either knew what to do or just happen to do it correctly. And the timing of how long or short you cook, stand, or soak made a big difference.

There use to be a cookbook by Muriel Muira, “Cooking for Two” which was easier and quick meals.

55. hydroman72 says:

my experience with cooking goes way back…my first recipe was soda cracker & mustard. My brother and sister said it looked good, but when they ate it…oh well

this talk of food making my mouth watery… I have to admit that I like it when guys say they like to cook… especially when they are in school, cuz when they off to college they are self sufficient and can always cook a meal by themselves. Don’t need to depend on a female to cook and save money instead of always going out to eat.
    @sally- Choi’s Family restaurant… lovet the spinach salad. Eat that everytime I go there with colleagues.
    I have all the hongwanji cookbooks too as well as Jean Hee’s.

57. Yoshi says:

@ jaydee – Here’s my Short Ribs Stew Recipe (prep time is the pits)

Ingredients:
    3 trays boneless shortribs (from Costco)
    5 cups of flour
    3 cans stewed Mexican tomatoes
    3 onions, 2 lbs carrots, 1 bunch celery, 1 bulb garlic, 3-5 lbs potatoes
    5 packets beef stew mix
    garlic salt, pepper, olive oil, butter, brown sugar, worcesteshire sauce, 5 bay leaf, Alaea sea salt and/or seasoned salt
    instant mash potatoes

Friday night – season strips of short ribs w/garlic salt and pepper-put in fridge overnight.
    Early Saturday morning-cut meat into 2 inch chunks & coat w/flour-set aside. (I use those huge aluminum trays) Mince 2 stalks celery, 3 carrots, 1/2 onion, 5 cloves garlic-set aside. Start browning ribs in olive oil & stack it in crock pot. whatever no fit, set aside. Brown minced celery, onions & carrots in remaining oil & add butter, garlic & flour to make a roux. pour roux over ribs in crock pot & set it on high. In a large pot, add stew mix w/5 quarts of water, stewed tomatoes, ribs that was set aside & bring to a boil. After crock pot has been on high for 1 hour, switch to low for 4-5 hours, folding over the ribs every hour or so. Rough chop remaining celery, carrots, onions & potatoes. When the ribs in the crock pot is almost fork tender, put the veggies in the pot and add the worcesteshire sauce, brown sugar & bay leaf. skim of the oil in the crock pot and put ribs in pot and turn off the stove.

Note: Season according to your taste-this is where the flavor will change. Also, to thicken the stew, mix instant mash potatoes and cold water.

I hope I didn’t leave anything out??

ENJOY !!!!!!!!

But if it’s 3 cups rice, then it’s 4-1/2 cups water. So that would mean that for every cup of rice, there should be 1-1/2 cups of water. Ahh! 💡

59. Aunty Paula says:

Rice: 2 cups rice, 3 cups water;
    microwave 12 minutes then let it sit for 5 minutes.
    He always forgets the ratio.

60. ct says:

@Linda -If you have a rice cooker warmer, it’s because he didn’t press the cook button … so the warmer half cooked the rice. So sounds like you’re busy for being retired … hahahaha … but that’s good … gotta make the most of it … go Linda go

Aunty Paula, send the recipe for rice to me. Mr. K made rice for me tonight since I was out “Mahalo” sign waiving tonight. Upon my return, the rice was half cooked. I tried to add more water and recook it but the rice was still hard. We have to throw the entire batch out. That’s it, he’s fired from the kitchen. Can’t even make rice ❗ 🙁

62. Ynaku says:

Darn, shouldn’t have dropped by. All this fuud talk making me HUNGRY but I have blood test tomorrow. Gotta fast 🙁

63. David In Oregon says:

Golden Duck? Wow, that brings back memories. I remember seeing in one of the family photo albums a picture that was cut out of the newspaper of my parents and brothers eating at Golden Duck. 😀

@DiO 9:11PM – Midnight snack, eh? Wait till you hit your 40’s. I used to have plenty of room too, Zippy’s, Sanoya’s, Golden Duck Chop Suey, etc. You wave the white flag when you hit MLC!!!

65. David In Oregon says:

Rod: I still have my flowcharting templates. If you want, I can draw you a flowchart on how to cook rice. 😆

That’s why I don’t cook. LOL

Hey Rod, you need a recipe to cook rice? Haha…don’t quit your day job, man!

@ct – I ironed once. Took me about 10 minutes to do 1 aloha shirt. LOL

69. David In Oregon says:

sally: Spinach Souffle sounds like a pencil maneuver waiting to happen. 😉

Aiyah…and a double aiyah. I have a virus in my computer. Must have been all that talk about spam. LOL That does it. It’s Mac shopping this weekend! And we’re on my favorite topic–food.

The one dish my daughter specifically requests is my Spinach Souffle. Don’t let the name fool you, it’s just a fancy name for mixing Frozen Spinach, Crm of Mushroom, Mayo, Lipton Onion Soup Mix and topping with LOTS of Cheddar Cheese then baking it.

Simplest thing yet soooo ono!

72. Keoni says:

@DiO Have some schmierkase! 🙂

73. David In Oregon says:

All this talk of food is making me hungry! 😆 Time for midnight snack.

74. Keoni says:

When I was growing up at Milton Hershey School, the dietician was a PA Dutch lady so we got used to a lot of that kind of food – chicken & dumplings, pepper cabbage, shoofly pie (among others), etc. Since my mom was also PA Dutch too, I learned to make many of their foods and learned from her too. Here is a recipe for a simple but tasty Dutch treat called “schmierkase” (cottage cheese spread)

I container cottage cheese (you may want to drain some of the cream and save for thinning the spread if necessary)
    Apple butter
    Home-made bread or french bread, etc.

With an electric beater, beat the cottage cheese until smooth with few lumps.
    Spread cottage cheese mixture on bread then spread apple butter on top of that.
    Eat

75. ct says:

Of course … who nevah make da cream of mushroom chicken thighs or as mentioned earlier da pot roast with da Liptons onion soup. Simple was just flour salt pepper chicken drumettes … and da most simple is that lemon pepper pork chops …

As I mentioned … my kids survived … hahahaha … now they came weird and eat plain vanilla yogurt and granola for breakfast … and now gotta make salads for dinner … use da George Foreman grill to grill skinless chicken thighs to go with da salad …

76. ct says:

For dinner used to fool em with Dad’s (Prego) spaghetti jus add da basil and oregano and peppah with fresh garlic bread. But da favorite was teriyaki beef … wait for the crossrib roast to go on sale and have the butcher cut em teriyaki style but not too thin. Dad’s (Hongwanji cook book) special teriyaki sauce and later da deluxe (Sam Choy’s) sauce … hahaha …

77. ct says:

I can’t say that I can cook … in fact … my boys will probably tell you the opposite … all I can say is that they still alive … so I did my job … hahahaha

I used to cook breakfast and dinner when my 3 boys were small … my ex used to start at about 9 am but finish about 7 pm. So I was pretty good at cheese & spam or portagee sausage omeletes. Of course had the famous american slice cheese grilled sand or with da egg inside. I used ready made pancake mix for da pancakes.

78. ct says:

@Rodney – My mother used to make 3 cuts in the bologna so da buggah no curl up and stay flat …

79. ct says:

Good Evening MLCers!!!

Wow … all da male cooks … impressive …

@Rodney – You lucky dog. Just count your blessings every day. Next thing you goin’ tell us is that you no iron.

I have a hard time making fried eggs nowadays. With the teflon coated pans, I can’t turn the heat up hot enough to get the crisp edges on the eggs. Before time, we only had a black iron pan that we cooked on the highest heat possible. Can’t do that with teflon…

I remember I used to fry bologna. It used to puff up in the middle and I’d have to poke a hole in it and hold it down with the spatula to get the center to cook.

Mmm, fried bologna. Comfort food. Haven’t had that in like 30 years!

btw, no need send me the Hongwanji cookbooks. I think Paula has them all. I wouldn’t know. LOL

When I watch the cooking shows, I see how all the ingredients are chopped up and measured and put into the little glass bowls, so if I cooked, I’d have to do all that prepping first. By then, going be bed time.

See, I cook! LOL

83. Aunty Paula says:

Rodney can cook. Sometimes he cooks rice…if I ask him to…and give him the “recipe”. 🙂

DIO, wow, you have talented parents.

I learned to cook from my Mom. Her cooking was pretty good ❗

85. David In Oregon says:

Linda: My “smarts” don’t apply too well in the kitchen. It’s kinda hard to compete. Mom was a good cook. Dad was a trained pro. He went to culinary school years ago, and worked for years in the hotel kitchens in Waikiki.

86. Keoni says:

@DiO at 5:48 pm. Goodness, you’re definition of “cooking” is really loose! LOVED it! 😀

DIO 11/4/10 6:00PM, give yourself SOME credit ❗ You sound pretty smart to me ❗

@Seawalker 11/4/10 11:55AM, thanks for the song! Ricky Nelson was one of my favorites way back when ❗ 😀

Good evening MLCers ❗ 😀

90. David In Oregon says:

Mark’75: I wish. Heck, compared to my mother and dad, I would be classified as hopeless. Comparing what they do, to what I do, would be like comparing Einstein to the village idiot. 😆

Wow, a lot of you guys can cook! Mom always told me to get lost.

92. David In Oregon says:

cold cuts count….if you toast the bread first. 😆

@Mark’75 – umm, I don’t think cold cut sandwiches count, but the stuff in your 5:25pm post do, in my book. 😉

Aside from grilling steaks my cooking skills are: saimin, Campbell soup (Progresso now), fried eggs with meat (sausages, bacon, etc.), poached eggs on toast, and my gourmet specialty: Spam with crushed canned pineapple.

As you can see, my better half cooks.

Does making cold cut sandwiches count as cooking?

Well, lookee here, it’s “National Men Make Dinner Day!”

(Thanks Liana.)

97. Ynaku says:

I meant knife.

98. Ynaku says:

Hey sally, no give Rod recipes where he gotta use nice. Maybe that was his blood on your sidewalk 😀 nah joke Rod.

I can see Rod placing a can of spaghetti-o’s on his monitor to heat up. 😆

@Masako – For cakenoodles, you have to go to one of those places that sell saimin noodles. It’s the same kind as the ones you see in the soup for wor gau gee mein. Just boil the bundles of saimin noodle until it comes soft and until all the starch is dissolved in the water. Drain the water out of the noodle. Use a frying pan or wok and spread out evenly (maybe ½ inch thick). When it comes crispy, flip it over and let the other side get crispy. The hardest part to all of this is flipping the noodles over. Try it. It takes a little practice, but I even did it.

@Masako – I was going to answer M’s 11:43AM. But yes, Chinatown is the place to go. Careful in Chinatown. I bought a bag of Jasmine rice recently. About 3 months later, the bag of rice was full of worms.

@Seawalker – thanks for the link. Kind of a brutal perspective from the Boise State side of the fence. LOL.

I hope it’s a good game on Saturday. 🙂

@Seawalker – Do you know how to make cake noodles?

@Seawalker – Jai is still a challange for me. Going to Chinatown and getting all the ingredients, cleaning all the stuff but its all worth it when its time to eat. I like it better when my mother in law makes it but i’ll get it someday. I think the secret is in the oyster sauce.

104. Keoni says:

@DiO – freezer cook, eh? You just cracked me up with that one!

I can cook ❗ I can cook ❗ Which is the direct opposite of my SM, she absolutely hates to cook. When she calls me around 7pm most days, I know that she is on her way to pick up her dinner somewhere 😆 My GF, she loves to cooks so I’m off the hook 🙂 .

When your lifestyle changes, you learn to do things that you’ve taken for granted, cooking is one of them, otherwise your kids may starve 😆 I love spaghetti…use to make the sauce from scratch…nowadays, its a bottle of Ragu…so much simpler and quicker. My kids love my corn beef & cabbage, both styles, corn beef from the can and corn beef from briskets. Another favorite is mulligan stew using S&B’s Golden Curry..hamburger meat, sweet corn kernels, celery, etc… Pork chops cooked in tomato sauce , onions, and cut green beans.

@91boz- thanks for sharing your recipes. I copied both for use hopefully this weekend. 🙂

@M- enjoy your long weekend.

Going to the beach house this weekend so I’ll be doing some heavy grilling.

@Seawalker – nice avatar! 🙂

109. 91boz says:

Here’s another quick and easy recipe.

Garlic shoyu marinated tri tip steak

Grate one clove garlic to 1 cup of shoyu.
    Soak meat for 4 hrs.
    BarBQ on the grill

Try It simple and delicious!

Off topic…

@LK – Continuation from last night 11:52PM. I’m wholesaling in Waikiki so you won’t find me in person in any particular store. Next time you’re there, look for the plates and vases. I have a competitor. Theirs look junk. Here’s a song for you and the MLCers.

111. Rosette says:

I make sure the food I cook are simple so I don’t have to hassle around….I train everybody to eat simple!

112. Rosette says:

my boys they survive they know how to buy frozen food…so when I am lazy they manage….

113. Rosette says:

how come your wife doesn’t call you ahead of time then ask you to cook simple food…

114. Rosette says:

I train my husband to cook bar b cue…so when PMS mix with menopause come he better cook!

Rule…hint buy frozen food ….heat in oven voila…as kids get older we eat out..I relax!

one church sell perogies night we just sit eat relax!

@Seawalker, my mom taught masako the secret ingredients and where to get it to making Jai.

Wow Masako, you know how to make jai? It’s a pain just to round up all the ingredients. A couple of my brothers are coming home for the Chinese New Year. We talked about making a jai cook-off and throw down. Everybody’s got their secret ingredient. But as busy as it is, I’m up for the competition. Eating is one of my passions in life.

But in my bachelor days, I always lived to eat, and not eat to live. I like soup dishes and saimein. I used to whip up a whole pot of soup. I’d throw a whole chicken in the pot, the essentials–carrots, onions and celery, shitakes, scallions, and anything else I find around the kitchen. That required slow and low simmer. Now, when it comes to the wok, it’s all a matter of high heat.

Cooking is one of those chores that went to my wife. We’re pretty good about splitting up the chores and getting things done around the house. I grew up in a household where cooking was dad’s livelihood. So I can’t say my wife’s cooking is great, just above-average. My wife does not like my cooking. But she’ll eat it if my kids like it.

119. visitor says:

Good morning!

I’ve come to enjoy cooking. For years “the better half” did almost all of the cooking, but recently I’ve taken an interest and do dinner more often.

I started with fish dishes, but have since expanded. I also watch more of the cooking channels and the local chefs when they’re on TV. I also enjoy grocery shopping.

120. David In Oregon says:

sally: Your prep space is smaller than my cutting board. In fact, one of the cutting boards I have is so large, it can’t fit in the dishwasher. Even if I put it on the top shelf lying flat, I can’t close the dishwasher door! 😆

I pressure cook and slow cook. It’s the best, the easiest. Only humbug part is prepping. All my chopping and prepping is done by balancing the chopping board on my sink.

Hey, make do with whatchu got… story of my life.

In my next life I’ll have a real kitchen. My available counter space is about 12″ square… and that’s being generous. Microwave takes up the rest.

I love when I have to babysit cuz I can tear up the kitchen at my brother’s house!

123. EMM386 says:

I cook all the time. I actually enjoy it. It’s not really a big deal. I like to experiment and come up with new dishes or sauces. I guess since my father passed away young and my mom had to work, my brother and I cooked so we wouldn’t have to eat canned stuff all the time.

May fave comfort food is my Potato Surprise. It’s like fried rice only potatoes.

I have a pic of it on my FB… if you can chop and throw stuff in a pot, you can make this. It’s one of those use-what-you-can-find-in -the -refrig dishes.

I have used: Potatoes, Peppers (red is my choice), Sweet Onions, Portabellos, Cilantro (yummmm Rod!), Char Siu, Kamaboko.

No seasonings, no oil. Just chop it all up, throw it in a big ole pot, cover, stir once in awhile, and in no time you’ll have a great meal!

DIO, I already checked FB and replied to you there.

Choi’s Family Restaurant on King St (across Interstate Bldg) has a killer dressing her son concocted for their Spinach/Tofu Salad. It’s oh so ono and you can buy it for $7 for a large container. (Smaller one available too but trust me, you’ll want the bigger one).

Go buy your own Spinach and Tofu. Cheaper.

I’ve used the remainder for stuff like chicken marinade, salmon, made Korean Burgers, on tofu (instead of shoyu). It’s supposed to last 2 weeks in the refrig but I can’t vouch for that. It’s NEVER lasted that long in mine. LOL It’s gone within the week.

127. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Check your Facebook messages. I’ll send a message there.

128. David In Oregon says:

eh, I freezer cook. Take out a Hot Pocket from the freezer. Place Hot Pocket in micro. Cook on high for 2 minutes. Serve. 😆

129. David In Oregon says:

sally: Yoshida sauce? If that’s who I’m thinking of, that guy lives a few miles away from here.

@sally- “freezer cook” 🙂 I tried something like that too, but would forget I had it in the freezer after a couple of weeks.

My daughter (out of survival…long story) turned out to be an amazingly terrific cook! No cookbooks for her. When she’s hungry she’ll go rummaging thru the freezer, refrigerator, veggie bin, cupboard, spice rack… and throw something together. Hasn’t missed yet!

I always have chicken and salmon in the freezer.

Salmon is the new chicken. I’ve made salmon in so many ways I’ve lost track.
    Salmon with: Yoshida sauce/furikake, mayo/huli sauce, dressing (anything from Italian to Korean to Tropics to Bacon to….). Anything.

When I have leftover sauce from a dinner, I save it and pour it over salmon for the next day. ONO!

Costco makes it easy with that bag of salmon in indivudual vacuum sealed portion of salmon. One piece = 2 meals! OR… feeds both my daughter and I if she’s home.

I’ll freezer cook. If I make something, I make a big ole pot and then portion it in ziplocs and freeze.

I buy Costco tray of ground turkey (beef, if you can’t stand the thought of healthy lol), bring it home and chop up a couple of big onions, cook it all together, then portion/freeze the same way. Lots of dishes start off that way so this gives me a head start when I want to make something.

DIO, yes, I do, want one? Ask Rod for my email address so you can send me your address and I’ll send one to you. I’ve been cleaning out closets, making my house neat.

The standing joke with me is that I can’t cook. Truth is, I can and I enjoy it (like Kage, I enjoy baking even more!)

When you start living alone, it’s no fun anymore. Then, when you move into a cubbyhole of an apt, it’s REALLY no fun anymore. I don’t even have enough space to lay a cookie sheet down.

SO… I just don’t cook much.

136. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Do you still have those books? the Hongwanji ones, I mean.

Good morning MLCers ❗ Woke up late today, pooped from the election.

Ynaku we do not go to Zippy’s for breakfast EVERY day. Only once in awhile. We usually have oatmeal for breakfast at home. This week I made hubby French toast, spam and boiled eggs. I thought that was a super breakfast!

Ynaku, my mother-in-law gave me 4 Hongwanji cookbooks for Christmas one year. Hint, hint, hint, I should vary my menu. Hubby complained to her I made the same dishes all the time. I have never opened them! They are in mint condition. I offered to give them to Rodney but he didn’t want them. I also have an autographed cookbook from Sam Choy, also in mint condition!

I may make the same things like stew and corned beef hash a lot but they taste good!

139. David In Oregon says:

Sure Save: Sam Choy’s Kitchen, Hawaii’s Kitchen, and Hari’s Kitchen

Okay, nuf hoaring. I gotta get back to work. 🙂

@91boz – that marinade looks ono. I will try it out. Thanks.

I learned to cook mostly from my sister. When I want to make something I have not made before I ask her for the basics. Then I try and keep tasting, adding, tasting, adding until I get the taste I want.

The Hongwanji cook books are like my bible of recipes. I grew up with one in the house. I was the lucky one to inherit it after Mom passed. I later found three other volumes at the Friends of the Library sale one year.

144. 91boztri tip says:

Simple Tri Tip Steak Marinade:

Garlic and shoyu
    Grate one clove garlic per cup of shoyu and marinade the meat.
    Good on the hibachi!

I hardly ever follow a recipe when I cook. I use it for the basics then add my own touch.

When baking, you need to follow the recipes. I do adjust my sugar, vanilla, spices when I can.

Typically I will make pot roast, stews, chili. Those are the easiest and will last a few days for dinner, lunch, dinner, lunch and one more dinner.

My thing is really baking. I love to bake. Unfortunately I also love to eat what I bake.

Good Morning.

FOOD!

I cook. If I didn’t I would starve.

After we completed Home Ec in 8th grade we were required to cook one dinner a week for the family. That slipped away after we all got tired of the same thing every week. 🙂

148. 91boz says:

Chicken Wings Marinade:
    1 part shoyu
    1 part Italian dressing
    1 part sugar

Marinade chicken overnight and throw on the grill or flour and fry.
    Quick and simple!

149. David In Oregon says:

ok, since this topic is related, I’ll list a few bookmarks I have saved. Let me say first of all, that I haven’t tried many of the recipes, so if something you see seems odd, or turns out bad, don’t blame me. 🙄

150. 91boz says:

Good Morning!

I learned to cook in my soph year at uh when a bunch of us were living in an apt. on Waialae ave. I got recipes from my mom and learned to make chile, pork hash, all kinds of hamburger and Campbell soup dishes (before hamburger helper).

The problem was not the cooking but washing the dishes. No one wanted to wash the dishes. One time we actually ran out of plates and utensiles. The sink was piled high with pots, pans, dishes covered with green and purple mold.

I love to cook but nowadays my wife does most of the cooking. I only cook on my days off. My favorites are stir fry dishes, beef/ chicken marinades, home made. pizza from scratch

LOL – I’m having a hard time answering the question. I guess I wouldn’t quite say that I can cook, but I wouldn’t starve to death. I can do simple stuff, but can’t say that I’ve ever roasted a turkey, done a pot roast, etc., nor done any serious multi-course things.

@Rod, I was thinking that the reason that Paula does the cooking is that she doesn’t want to eat fried eggs, and rice all the time! LOL. I think that hamburger with Campbell’s Vegetable Soup used to be called, “Hobo Stew”.

From about the fourth grade, my job was “go home, cook rice” – but we had a rice cooker. LOL. In my house, from like late elementary or early intermediate school, an occasional Saturday lunch would be a situation of,” if you like eat, better “cook” (really more like warm something up) something. Early on, the standards were S & S Saimin, or like Campbell’s Soup. I think my first real meal was senior year cooking spaghetti for Key Club camp. I remember having a lesson from my mom on cooking spaghetti to pull that off. Thanks, mom! It came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. 😉 LOL. Hmmm – I guess I also remember doing the Hamburger Helper thingy a few times like in high school.

It wasn’t until I got married that I would do much more than spaghetti. My ex really didn’t know how to cook when we first got married, either. I’ve always said that I don’t really “cook”, but what I made tasted better than what she made! LOL. We used to have a bunch of local, “hongwanji” type cookbooks – those fell victim to the divorce. 🙁

Nowadays I only “cook” once in a while. I feel like after coming home from work, it takes too much time and effort to cook, clean-up, etc., so it is rare that I eat dinner these days. Plus, whatever you make will last you a week! LOL. I’ll cook something simple for my daughter every once in a blue moon on a weekend that I have her. She seems to like what I cook, so I guess I do alright . . . . 😉

152. jaydee says:

Here’s an easy one for you Rodney.

Get a 2-3lb. cut of pot roast. Put it in a crock pot then add 1 can of Cream of Mushroom and one package of Lipton Onion soup mix. Set the crock pot on high and let the roast cook all day. When it’s finished you’ll have a very tender and moist roast and some real ono gravy. Easy ‘kine brah!

153. David In Oregon says:

Ynaku: No tell him that. His idea of creative might be to combine work with food. He goin put the food can on top of his computer to see if he can warm ’em up. 😆

154. Ynaku says:

OK gotta go work. Some people do work (LK no count, she retired and having breakfast at Zippy’s 😀 ) Enjoy the day gang.

155. Ynaku says:

G’morning DiO Oooooo knives 😯

156. Ynaku says:

Hey Rod, lots of stuff comes in cans and bottles. be creative (not our creative) but use your imagination. Main thing taste good.

157. David In Oregon says:

Rod: If you ever travel over here, and we meet up, remember to stay out of my kitchen. I wouldn’t want you to cut yourself with all my knives. 😛 Not only do I have the knives, but I know how to sharpen them! 😆 There are dozens of knives in my kitchen, all of them huuuuuuge!! 😆

158. Ynaku says:

Hi kathi, I use a version from the Food Network to do my Prime Rib. Hawaiian Salt, Garlic and creamy horse radish rub, slow baked until you reach the core temp for the doneness you prefer.

159. David In Oregon says:

Good morning everybody. 😀

160. kathi says:

Real men definitely do cook. I’d say my husband, my brother, and my business partners, all MLC age or close to it, are all better cooks than I am. It’s not that I’m a bad cook; these guys are just more creative, or maybe more willing to experiment.

Speaking of the Hongwanji cookbooks, one of my husband’s “go-to” dishes is the khal bi recipe from the second (I think) volume. Two others are a chili recipe that was his dad’s from his firehouse, and one the guys at his own firehouse request that is a modified version of a Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe from the Food Network website.

Oh, and good to see all the shiny new Gravatars popping up!

@Ynaku, we do use Italian dressing to marinate the veggies. We even marinate it in teriyaki sauce too.

I’m trying to have my daughter learn some cooking skills from masako but she’s lazy.

163. Ynaku says:

Yep M, that’s still cooking since gotta use stove 😛

Masako, go try um, some good.

Oh and you can use the Kraft Italian dressing to marinate whole mushrooms and asparagus. Give to M to grill. Whoo Hoo, I stay hungry now.

I’m fortunate that masako is a great cook.

M is a master griller! I like to marinate vegetables and have him grill them. We are going camping this weekend, M marinated some beef and chicken and im got some veggies. Yummy!

I used to like to cook when I had lots of time. Now I am so tired sometimes after work that I just make simple stuff. I enjoy looking at recipe and getting ideas. I don’t really follow recipes unless im baking. Some things just taste best when they are home made, like maki sushi, nishime, and Jai.

@Yoshi – I like your mom. Next time my kids say “Is that all there is to eat” I’ll throw cookbooks at them. I have two shelves full of them including all the Honganji cookbooks. They are the best.

@Ynaku, that’s still cooking right? 🙂

Good Morning!
    @Ynaku – that shrimp recipe sounds ono! I gotta try it sometime.

170. Ynaku says:

Hey Matt, good idea The girls can send some too.

171. Ynaku says:

Hey M, where would we be without Shake and Bake or Hamburger Helper

I no shame say I used to use those. Still do at time

Oh and those LOH’s package sauce.

Those Cook in the Bag dishes. The Roast Beef one is good.

172. jaydee says:

I learned to cook from my father who was a cook in the Navy. Back in those days, when you enlisted and you were Filipino they almost always assigned you to the Galley to cook. His first meal for the Captain? Vienna sausages with rice. Hah1 The Captain loved it, or so I’m told.

173. Ynaku says:

Another easy shrimp recipe

place shrimp in colander and rinse. Let drain.
    Place shrimp in Zip Bag and pour Kraft Italian Dressing (not the creamy one)
    Marinate overnight or few hours

Scoop Shrimp Into hot skillet (Try not to add too much marinade into pan)
    Add couple scoops of that bottled chopped garlic
    Stir shrimp until it starts to turn pink
    add 1 block BUTTER
    keep stirring until the butter melts
    Place into nice dish

That’s it, gridz

Does grilling count? Cooking rice?
    I can cook rice on the stove top without burning the bottom of the rice.
    I don’t cook on a regular bases but I can simple dishes like stir fry, fried noodles, chicken dishes, spaghetti, loco moco…..

175. matt says:

I probably do 90 percent of the cooking in our house. when i went away for college, i quickly figured out that i had to learn to cook or eat junk food for 4+ years. no brainer, for me. now i like figuring out how to make stuff that (to me, at least) tastes good.
    it’s actually pretty fun up here in california because each new season brings a whole slew of different ingredients to use as well as new weather to cook in. now that it’s fall and getting colder, i can start making more stews, soups and braises (lamb shoulder, braised for 4+ hours in red wine is unreal!!). fall and winter are times for root vegetables, cabbages (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussell sprouts, etc) and winter squash (acorn, butternut, kabocha, etc). keeps me on my toes and makes cooking fun.

maybe we need a MLC Men’s Cookbook that can be printed, bound and sold. proceeds go to to future triad pahtays

176. Ynaku says:

No forget pour the mixed vegetables into the pot 😆

177. Ynaku says:

Hey Rod, here’s an easy recipe for you, just open cans, bag and from bottle.

Hamburger Stew

Brown Hamburger on med heat
    Add chopped onions (Ask Paula to cut them for you since you don’t like to use a knife)
    Scoop garlic from the chopped garlic you buy at Costco 😀
    Salt and pepper.
    Drain oil (wait this might be too hard for you :lol:) Just scoop um out with ladle if you use cheap hamburger with plenty fat.

Put back on stove.
    Open can tomato sauce or stewed tomato and pour in pot
    open bag frozen mixed vegetable (peas, carrots, corn)
    Stir
    Taste (add more salt and pepper to taste if needed)
    Cook until vegetables tender
    That’s it.

178. Ynaku says:

Hey Yoshi, your short rib stew is the brown one or with Tomato sauce?

179. Ynaku says:

my my my, what sheltered life you live Rod. tsk tsk tsk

Hey “Go Home Cook Rice” at least.

I’m Filipino. Supposed to know how to cook 😛
    If you start off with the basic Pork, Garlic, Tomato, Onion, Patis, water and Hondashi (mom folks used to use MSG but that no good)…You on the way to a Filipino meal. For soupy dishes, add water to cover meat, add ginger and what ever filipino vegetables you like. For pork and pumpkin I add mung beans.

Learn basic watching mom and dad. But also in Home Ec in the 8th grade, Boys Scouts, working at Woolworth I learned to cook their fried chicken (I still get the recipe that I shared)

Learned to use the hibachi, Weber and now gas grill. Also Wok.

Like Yoshi, that Hongwanji cook book is winnahs. I get several local kind cook books.

Go get one. Linda, send Rodney one.

180. jaydee says:

@Yoshi: Do you mind sharing your short rib recipe? I only ask because the topic is about “Men who cook”.

Hey, how about those Raiders! Hah!

181. Yoshi says:

@ Rod – Are you and Paula small eaters? The portions I gave you suppose to be for one sitting. I’m glad you enjoyed the soup, wait till you try my short ribs stew. In my teens, I complained to my mom “what, hamburger again?” My mom got pissed off, she threw one of the Hongwanji cookbooks at me and said “you no like what I cook, cook it yourself.” Those books are the foundation for cooking local style foods. Jaydee is right, low and slow cooking is the key. I think my wife married me cause I like to cook. Ask her on Saturday.

182. Ocean Lover says:

Good Morning Mr. Taisho! (and all you other chefs) 😉

I cook……………splitting meal duties with Ocean Hater.

Nuff said. 😉

OL

183. losthawaiian says:

My mother is a great cook as was my aunty. I learned to cook in high school from watching her and asking questions. She always told me that if I wanted something good to eat, make it yourself! When I went off to college at UHH I was on my own at 18 and eating can soup or chili every day was not my idea of food. Cooking is easy. All you need to do is follow directions. On the Big island, I found out that most local guys cook. They make the simple stuff like BBQ meat, loco moco’s, etc. I learned to cook more fancy meals when I worked as a waiter in the Kupuna room at the Waiakea village. The cooks there were all guys and could make the best sauces and meals out of simple, ordinary ingredients. Nowadays, I cook 4 days a week for myself and eat at my daughters house the other 3 days. Here in Cali, I still haven’t met too many women who can cook….decently!

184. jaydee says:

Oh and thanks to Kathi for the link to Gravatar so I could upload my pic!

185. jaydee says:

Good morning MLC’ers!

I cook dinner almost every night. I’ve been cooking since I was a teen since my Dad cooked, my uncles, my grandfather, cousins….I guess it’s in the blood. In fact, tonight I’m cooking pork spare ribs with a secret dry rub that I’ve developed over the years. The secret to perfect ribs? Low and slow. Low heat and cooked for several hours.

186. Dean says:

Linda… I cooked up something for a camp for some friends. More than 30 years later it’s still a joke.

So yes, in that sense, it really IS too good to be true!

187. NaPueo says:

I don’t do much cooking now but can if I have to. Just keep it simple and don’t get too fancy. I also don’t worry about how it looks on the plate. Unlike a restaurant presentation doesn’t count.

Dean, may we clone you 😆 Too good to be true ❗ 😀

189. Dean says:

I learned basic cooking in Boy Scouts. Imagine 12-year-old kids figuring out a menu for a two night camp and then having parents take them to the grocery store to pick up what the kids determined to be a proper camp meal.

One of the patrol leaders, Gil Yonashiro, decided that we’d splurge on veal cutlet!

We could make stew in tin cans and cook rice over a charcoal fire. Of course part of the rice was koge (burned) but Clyde Kageyama (Kogeyama) preferred it that way.

I know a few ways to do fish but no one in this household eats much of it. Not yet. For family gatherings I’m the rib roast specialist but only because I learned how to do it by watching Good Eats — and the method is very scientific.

Not being too picky about what I eat means that most of whatever I make is utilitarian. I’ve made a few pasta sauces from scratch. I’ve actually hunted my own meat, too. But reactions have ranged from every scrap disappearing before I could get at it — to “what the heck is that?!”.

So Mary does the cooking.

Good night MLCers ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 😀

Thank goodness for men who are willing to cook when their wives are unable to!

Rod, lucky for you, you have a beautiful and hardworking wife! She spoils you!

Men make great cooks! I’ll eat my brother’s cooking over mine any day. I’ll eat anyone’s cooking over mine. I lost what little cooking talent I ever had. It’s junk to cook for yourself, my feeling is “no need”.

When I do cook… like a pot of stew or chowder or something… there’s enough to last 5-7 days. I don’t mind L.O.s but when you have it for lunch and dinner, by the third night you’ve about had it up to here.

My daughter turned out to be a fantastic cook, she makes most of our meals since she moved back in with me.

Rod, there are lots of cookbooks out there. I offered to give you a few and your reply was “no, thanks!”

Mr. K learned to cook from recipes from the newspaper, the ladies at work, his Mom, and cookbooks. When I worked 7 days per week at 2 jobs while caring for my disabled Mom for 2 years, he had to learn to cook to feed our kids. I couldn’t have done all that without his help. For awhile his food tasted pretty good. But, after awhile he got tired of cooking and we began to pick up food a lot.

Early new post? You spoiled brat!
    LOL!