Thanksgiving Day Memories

Thanksgiving is here already.  A day to relax and feast on turkey and all the trimmings.

How about we recall some Thanksgiving memories?

I remember when I was small our Thanksgiving day started out by going to a morning church service while my mom stayed home to begin preparing the turkey dinner.  By the time we got home from church, my mom had a sheet of toast waiting for me to crush to make the stuffing.  It was a tradition for me.  I’d get the heavy “pounder” and started smashing the toast into little pieces.  That would by my only contribution in preparing the Thanksgiving day feast.

Then I’d get on my bike and cruise around the neighborhood smelling all the turkeys cooking in people’s homes – while working up an appetite.

The neighborhood was always so calm with hardly any cars on the road – as everyplace was closed (didn’t have 7-11’s back then).

Then as I got older, my friends and I would load the car with surfboards and leisurely cruise the coast looking for surf.  It didn’t matter if the surf was small – we had to paddle out and surf for a few hours, just to work up an appetite.

Then after everyone headed home to stuff themselves, we’d meet up at someone’s house after dinner for some beer and maybe a card game or just hang out and talk story.

Nowadays, no one wants to cook or clean house so we just go to Treetops or some other buffet for lunch.

Then home for a nap.  😀

There’s something about driving around town on a holiday.  Well there used to be – when everyplace used to be closed on holidays.  Just a few cars on the road, Christmas music playing on the radio, bellies stuff from a big lunch, and eyes starting to get sleepy as we head home.

***

I remember one Thanksgiving I headed out early, around 8:00 AM (hey, that’s early for me – especially on a non-working day) and I headed to Bea’s bakery in Kaimuki to buy a couple of pumpkin/custard pies.  I pull up and the place is open and deserted.  I figure “Perfect timing, no crowds”.  That’s because they were sold out!  And they were open only for those people who pre-ordered their pies.

Oh well, plan B – Liliha bakery.

***

What are your Thanksgiving day memories?  Going to an uncle/aunty’s house?  Staying home and watching football?  Maybe preparing the meal? <— Not me.

***

And remember – Black Friday – the one and only day of the year that the Apple store has a sale.  🙂

149 Responses to “Thanksgiving Day Memories”

Good evening, David in Oregon ❗ 😀 😀

2. David In Oregon says:

M: I think you burned off the gravy and stuffing. Now you have to burn off the rest. 😛

3. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everybody!! 😀 😀

M, good job ❗ 😀

Guud evening MLCers!
    I standup paddle for 9.3 miles this afternoon. I think I burned off my Thanksgiving meals. 🙂

Ankles, enjoy ❗ 😀

And, thanks for all the music…….. will listen when we get back from Zippy’s. Hubby doesn’t want to eat turkey again tonight 😆

And here’s one from the present………

Coldplay – Viva La Vida

Sly & The Family Stone – Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

LK:

I’m on day #4….one more to go 🙂

Love the “stereo” back in those days….

Archie Bell And The Drells – Tighten Up

Johnny Mathis – Chances are, It’s not for me to say

Marvin Gaye – Too Busy Thinking ‘Bout My Baby

Yvonne Elliman – I Don’t Know How to Love Him

Pure Prairie League -Amie

Spirit – I Got A Line on You

Good afternoon, ankles ❗ 😀 How is your 5 day weekend going ❓

Van Morrison – Into The Mystic (live)

NKHEA, to put up a picture go to: http://gravatar.com, click on get your Gravatar today. Follow instructions to put up your picture. 🙂

Cat Stevens – Wild World

Happy Holidays, Nkhea ❗ 😀

22. NKHEA says:

Eh how you put dem pics on 😕

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Sunday ❗ 😀

Good night, David and all MLCers lurking.

25. David In Oregon says:

Good night Linda. Good night everybody.

Oops, meant to state late there in Oregon. When I’m tired, my spelling is junk. Good night.

David: since I’m fluffy, I have my own built in coat. Hubby is real skinny so he’s always cold. He already bought thick jackets. Will tell you all about it upon our return.

Must be late their in Oregon. Will let you get some sleep. Thanks for the advice. Good night. Pleasant dreams ❗ 😀

28. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Yeah, if it is in the 50’s you’ll be fine, since you seem to like stuff that’s cold by Hawaii standards. 😆

David: Thank you. 50’s is fine. Went to San Francisco when it was that cold and it wasn’t too bad. But, it didn’t snow in San Francisco. This will be a totally new experience for us. We visited Omaha during the summer months twice now but never during winter.

30. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Here’s the webpage showing weather forecasts for Omaha. It’s really hard to say how cold it will be. If you look at this week’s predictions, you’ll see how drastically the temperature can vary within the week. As it is, today’s (Sunday’s) high is predicted to be 51. The high for Tuesday is predicted to be only 28.

David: THAT cold, huh?

32. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Run fast!! 😆

David: I don’t have any warm clothes, only Aloha wear. Guess I’ll borrow a coat from Lynne. We don’t plan to be outdoors for long. I’ll run from the car to the building. How’s that?

34. David In Oregon says:

Linda: If your daughter is driving an XTerra, she should be okay. The main thing is that people use common sense. When they fail to use common sense, and/or get complacent, that’s when bad things happen.

Dress warmly!!

David: good to know. We’ll only be there for 3 days for Lynne’s graduation from Creighton with her Master’s Degree in Anatomy. The ceremony is long and tiresome but we are so proud of her.

The excitement there is going to the river casinos in nearby Iowa. They have 4 ❗ Hope to get lucky there ❗ 😀

36. David In Oregon says:

Linda: I think you’ll be safer in Omaha than here in Oregon. The reason I say that is folks are used to snow and cold in Omaha. Here in Oregon, you’d be surprised at just what little it takes to shut the entire area down. Folks from other parts of the country laugh when they see and hear about it.

David: hope it’s not like that when we get to Omaha. We just bought our daughter Lynne, 4 brand new tires for her Xterra, a 4 wheel drive car. She said that car drives safely through snow. We’ll soon find out. We’ll be leaving in 2.5 weeks which will come fast enough ❗

38. David In Oregon says:

Linda: sadly, sometimes bad things happen.

Seeing how ridiculous things get around here when even 1 inch of snow falls, I thought it best to just stay home. All you have to do is search Youtube, and you’ll find a huge number of videos showing people driving in snow and ice. I can’t count the number of idiots driving around without any snow chains, sliding all over the place, and crashing into everything. It’s just not worth the risk.

David in Oregon, that was the safe thing to do. You heard what happened to Colt Brennan and a car accident last week. He got out of the hospital today to go home to California to recover. The lady doctor that was in the other car is paralized from the neck down. So sad. She had been recovering from a surgery and was all set to return to work in January 2011. Now she is fighting for her life. The news hasn’t stated why Colt’s girlfriend’s car crossed over to the other side. Better to be safe at home when the weather is bad ❗ Speaking of rotisserie chicken from Costco, so ono ❗

40. David In Oregon says:

Linda: I couldn’t decide what to do. It was funny. I thought of turkey, then ham, then a roast, then Hawaiian food, then a rotisserie chicken from Costco…

When the weather got really cold and it snowed, I decided it was best just to stay at home, rather than going out and dealing with clueless drivers.

Today I finished my final “secret shopper” for November. 9 total shops for this month. That’s 9 meals out on the company ❗ Love it ❗ 😀

Hi David in Oregon, no turkey for your dinner ❓ No company ❓

Glad you had a restful evening. When I used to work, having a peaceful day was heavenly ❗ 😀

ankles, hope you are enjoying your 5 day weekend ❗ 😀

Every day is a weekend for me now 😆

44. David In Oregon says:

Hi Linda. I guess you could say I had a nice Thanksgiving. The power stayed on, nothing went wrong, no heat loss. I got a chance to watch some music dvds, including one from the Temptations.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, guess everyone is out shopping for Christmas. I’m unwinding from our Thanksgiving party. Received a thank you note today for the party. How sweet ❗ It really was a nice party ❗ 😀

Now to pack for our trip to Omaha. It will be the New Year before we know it ❗ 😀

Good evening, DIO ❗ Did you have a nice Thanksgiving ❓

47. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everybody 😀

Good evening MLCers ❗ 😀

Good afternoon, M. Congratulations to your son ❗ 😀

Guud afternoon MLCers!

My son’s team beat Aiea today. My son scored the only goal.

Hi ankles, I see you are enjoying your football games ❗ 😀

Wisconsin is leading NW 70-23 with another qtr to go ❗ Are they going to score more than 83 like they did against Indiana ❓

Hi, LK! Good morning to you, too. Glad to hear you had a nice party. 🙂

Morning, 4G, Happy Holidays to you ❗ 😀

Morning all. Happy Holidays!

Awesome game last night – Boise State at Nevada (Reno):

C’mon Bows – 10 – 0 offense still sputtering . . . .

sally, I just answered your email, go look, go now, ok. Happy holidays ❗ 😀

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Saturday ❗ 😀

My beauty shop day ❗ Sure will enjoy my pedicare today for my tired sore feet ❗ 😀

So what is UH…co-WAC champions with Nevada and Boise if we win out ❓ Wooooo Hoooooo ❗ Bachi on Boise….na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, GUUDBYE 😆

@LINDA KATO: I just got home, I saw your email… thank you! I’m quite tired now so I will go wash up and go to sleep, but will answer you in the morning.

Good Night All!

60. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everybody!!

Football, so that’s where all the guys were tonight ❗ Hope you folks enjoyed your game.

Having a hard time keeping my eyes open already so I won’t try.
    Good night MLCers ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 😀

Seawalker, we had not hosted a party at our home for about 20 years. We always used my Mom’s home since her home was the cleanest. She hired a maid to clean regularly. So it was a really big deal to do it at our home. I am the maid here. When I inherited all of my Mom’s worldly possessions last year, we could barely walk anywhere. We have enough stuff on our own without having to add all of her things. For the first few months after she passed away I was too sad to look through her things. It was a major undertaking to give away her things and to make our home presentable. I was well worth the effort. We had a great time ❗ 😀

@LK – That’s the most rewarding feeling after the party–when you talk about the high points the next day. Once, when I was about 20, my parents allowed me to plan a party for some 20 somewhat people in our “back” house. Anyway, our party was so much fun that everyone was still talking about the party months later. It was hard work, but well worth it. Glad your party was a hit.

@4G & @M – “Wow” is an understatement to tonight’s game. That Boise kicker choked big time. Sad, Hawaii will probably share the WAC title. But on the other hand, by Boise State not going to a BCS game, the conference loses out on millions of dollars. I was wondering if Nevada would’ve gone for the 2 on the last touchdown. But it didn’t matter because they won the game anyway.

4G and M, enjoy football ❗ 😀

You go, M, spend that money ❗ You can’t take it with you ❗ 😀

Oh yeah! 🙂 Nevada wins! 🙂 Woo hoo! Okay, UH – put it away this weekend for a share of the WAC title!

Woo hoo! Missed FG in OT by Boise State. Go Nevada!

Boise State and Nevada Reno. Man, what a game! Go Nevada! 🙂

Tomorrow is another day of shopping.

MLCers, if you dislike telemarketers calling you, you may put your phone number on a DO NOT CALL list by going to: http://www.donotcall.gov if a telemarketer continues to call, you may file a complaint at this site.

I especially dislike telemarketers that call while we are having our dinner.

M, YOU ARE SANTA CLAUS ❗ 😆

Thanks for helping Hawaii’s economy by putting your money into circulation 😆

Rob@96744, we had a wonderful party. Good thing I am retired or I never could have done it all. I ran the A/C at 70 degrees for 12 hours. I imagine that will add another $50 to my electric bill. ut it was worth it! There was a time when I ran the A/C every day and paid $550/mo. After the state furloughed us, I stopped using it and was shocked when my bill fell below $100, sweet!

Hope YOU had a nice day with your family and friends ❗ 😀

Guud evening MLCers!

It was shop till you drop today. We had to come home unload our packed SUV then go out again for round 2 of Black Friday shopping.

74. Rob@96744 says:

Hey Linda K: Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving cleaning, hosting, cleaning, and more cleaning. Good thing you are RETIRED. Bad thing is, your ELECTRIC BILL will now be $101.00! at least you had a good time…

ankles, wish it were cold here. Last night, I was buzzing around working and hot but everyone else was freezing in the A/C at 70 degrees. I told them to bring jackets, no one listened to me so they had to borrow ours. I love cool weather. Maybe I’ll change my tune after I freeze in Omaha next month ❗

sally, answered your email, go look now, go ❗ Waiting for your call ❗ 😀

Good afternoon/evening MLCers ❗ Yes, we had quite a party. Hubby kept telling me all day today, fun party, Linda, good job ❗ That was well worth all the hard work to put it on ❗ 😀

Good Morning All.

@LK- glad to hear your party was a hit. It is a small world. Never know who your relatives might work with. 🙂 I like the story of the stuff you found when cleaning.

Good morning MLCers!

In a few hours, it’ll be “It’s Aloha Friday, no work till Monday”. Traffic was a breeze this morning. Got my home lunch in the fridge. Something to look forward to.

@ankles – Hey, would putting on a ski mask help while you’re driving… LOL

@LINDA KATO: you should do Craigslist. Seriously. I love Craigslist… just gotta be realistic and careful and akamai. But it’s my way to go to get rid of stuff.

Happy Black Friday!

@LINDA KATO: Your suggestion to your uncle and the TSA cracked me up! Glad you had a great Thanksgiving! And now everybody is gone but your house is clean! Sometimes, it takes a panic to do the overhaul but it pays off in the end.
    I’m gonna send Rod an email to forward to you, if you don’t mind.

Off to Gold Canyon I go for my Thanksgiving …. with my heater on of course for the 30 mile drive…

Sneaky new post Rodney 😆

Since LK asked why I posted on the previous topic….I dunno….MLC moment ❓ 😉

It’s FREEKIN’ cold here…..COLD SUNNY TOPLESS day (with heater on)…don’t know if I want to go 30 miles with the top off ❓

Second day of a 5 day weekend for me ❗

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Black Friday ❗ 😀

DIO, yes, our hard work paid off. My family enjoyed visiting our “beautiful” home. When it’s all picked up it looks real nice. After my niece takes our excess furniture to her apt. we will have more space in our living room. I hope it will be soon!

We had an absolutely delightful evening. So much fun and laughter which was music to my ears. I love to hear people having a good time ❗ The piano music added a lot to our evening. One more contest, then I’ll sleep. Must vacuum and mop again tomorrow to clean up the spilled food. No problem with this!

86. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Sounds like the hard work paid off. There’s nothing like the fun times shared by friends and family. Memories of this day will live on for a long while.

My son knows I collect coke bottle caps because I enter their contests every week. He gave me a ziplock baggie full of coke caps ❗ Oh, happy day! Will go enter my coke contests and Wheel of Fortune contest now! Fun ❗ 😀

Another one of our relatives works as support staff for the current TV series “Hawaii Five-O” ❗ What an exciting job ❗

One can learn a lot at a party. Lots of work hosting a party but so much fun getting together with family. I have lots to be grateful for. I have a truly delightful family ❗ 😀

One of my relatives was laid off from her job at the Polynesian Cultural Center since they downsized. She was on unemployment for several months. She was hired full time to work for Kamehameha Schools on their campus in a similiar dept. that Rod works in. They may need to talk to each other now and then. What a small world ❗

DIO, yes, I survived Thanksgiving 2010 ❗ 😀

I had a really good time. My nieces, nephews and their children are delightful! I haven’t laughed so much in a long time ❗ It was an absolutely delightful day ❗ 😀

After everyone was stuffed and we were sharing stories, I asked if they brought their Karaoke machine. One party we sang for hours with their machine. They said, “next time”! Some of them had to work tomorrow so half the party left before 9PM. And, the ones that didn’t have to work stayed til just before 10PM. My son helped me wash some dishes. Since I don’t work tomorrow, I really didn’t mind. Spending time with all of my relatives was really nice. We don’t get together enough. It was well worth all of my hard work. My brother was delighted he didn’t have to lift a finger tonight! Just like the good ole days!

92. David In Oregon says:

😆

One relative made 18 pumpkin pies from scratch for every family to take home for later and pumpkin squares for tonight. We had pumpkin squares, custard pie, orange jello with mandarin oranges in it for dessert! Absolutely delightful!

We were complaining about TSA searches at the airport and had fun teasing one of the single uncles if he ever felt lonely, he should plan a trip so he can be patted down and given lots of attention at the airport.

94. David In Oregon says:

Eh, free food, plus gifts, is it any surprise who’ll be hosting Thanksgiving next year?

DIO, Gibson’s! Right! You haven’t heard that name in years because they have been out of business for years. I wonder how old that brand new golf bag is? As YOU know DIO, I don’t sell things I can give away. I prefer to give our extra things to someone who can use and enjoy the things. The eyes of the 5 little children here tonight lit up like a Christmas tree when I gave them all the brand new stuffed animals my kids never played with. It felt like Christmas to them. We had such a good time sharing stories and laughing. Guess who will be hosting Thanksgiving dinners from now on:!

After my niece saw the 5 piece glass top dinette made in Spain she didn’t want to pick up because Waipahu is too far, she changed her mind and wants it with my extra Love Seat. Progress, I am giving some stuff away!

We also left some of our son’s toys out deliberately for the children ages 7 to 1 year old to take home. We gave them Mickey Mouse stuffed animals, transformer toys, a talking typewriter, and lots of other toys.

97. David In Oregon says:

You should take things to the swap meet to sell. 🙂

98. David In Oregon says:

Gibson’s ? Wow, I haven’t heard that name in years. 😀

I told them about how much work it was to clean the house. Hubby found a brand new golf bag from Gibson’s with the price tag on it for $39.00. I told him we could have invested the $39.00! No one wanted the golf bag. We have an extra brand new 10 cup coffee maker, 4 cup coffee maker, rice cooker, dishes, etc. I wish hubby would stop buying everything on sale. His funniest purchase was extra toilet seats. Who buys toilet seats on sale?! Well it came in handy just before he retired his coworker needed a round toilet seat since hers broke.

I deboned the second turkey and that went pretty fast too. I finally sat down to eat after everyone had their fill. We have a rule in our home, no TV while guests are present. 25 people showed up and made their own good time sharing stories and laughing. My nieces and nephews went straight to our piano and played beautiful music on the piano all night. When one stopped to eat, another would get on the piano and play. There was so much laughter and fun and catching up on the latest news. I made time to enjoy my guests. They complained the A/C was too cold. I set the thermostat at 70 degrees. I was happy 😆

My Thanksgiving party went really well. I heated and deboned my turkey from Zippy’s by 4:30PM since they wanted to eat by 5PM. I had everything ready by 5:00PM when everyone showed up hungry. It was supposed to be pot luck and everyone prepare a dish. I was handed another turkey from Zippy’s whole for me to carve. I put that on the side since my son showed up with a turkey he made from scratch right out of the oven. I couldn’t debone that turkey fast enough it was so hot but my first turkey was consumed before my eyes in minutes. I waited to eat until everyone else ate first.

102. David In Oregon says:

Ohayo Linda Kato!! I guess this means you survived Thanksgiving 2010. 😀

Glad to hear everyone had a wonderful day eating and eating some more!

104. Keoni says:

What a wonderful time I had today! Out with friends to Zippy’s in Kailua. Eat, talk story. More turkey, etc. and talk story. Then finish with a slice of their AWESOME pumpkin cheesecake! Oink! Excuse, I go take nap now.

Finally home after eating all day. I’m stuffed like a turkey.
    Got to paddle extra this weekend after shopping of course.

Happy Thanksgiving MCLers! I’m still stuffed from a buffet lunch today with the in-laws side of the family. Treetops restaurant at the old Paradise Park.

Since we had my whole family in the car – which doesn’t happen too often nowadays – we took the long way home: up through Tantalus.

Then on the way home, I took a chance to see if Shimazu Shave Ice was open. And they were! So shave ice for everyone! I think I was the only one who finished my shave ice. LOL

Then home for a nap. A 2-1/2 hour nap!

And I’m still stuffed. Maybe later a slice of custard pie that Paula won from their annual Turkey Bowl.

107. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everyone!!

I was in Walmart this morning. Ho, the aisles were full of Black Friday stuff. Smart, they shrink-wrapped the pallets and put balloons in the register areas so people would know where to pay. Sad that I have to work tomorrow, but glad I won’t be doing battle with the crowds.

Thanksgiving used to be the weekend of my turkey trots. Long ago, when I used to exercise to kill time instead of doing it out of necessity, my routine was to run Diamond Head and Ala Wai to work up an appetite. If Thursday afternoon wasn’t crazy enough, then Friday afternoon called for a repeat performance. No mas, no mas!

Okay, survived the lunch feast. Now for the dinner festivities that’s about to begin. That’s the bonus of having both sides of a family. Just thankful that we do this every year. And more to come in December. Yes!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
    Thanksgiving dinners was always special with the family around and we’d gorge ourselves on turkey and mom’s homemade pumpkin pie.
    Growing up, the highlight of the day was going to Honolulu Stadium for the Thanksgiving Day doubleheader. If I remember correctly, the ILH 3rd place team played the 4th place team in the opener, and the 2nd place team played the 1st place team in the second game. Yeah, high school games ruled!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, c0hiba! Go visit Seattle Gail, she’s in town now.

111. c0hiba says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all the MLC ers! I’ve been reading while waiting for c0shiba to finish shoping at waikele. We decided to take everyone’s advice and went early. One day early!
    Found a great spot. The bar at waikele golf course. ate maguro natto sons with heineken.
    Sorry bout typos. Using BB.

I’m treating myself to A/C on all day and night today ❗ Cool ❗ 😀

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ❗ Eat, enjoy each other, eat some more, and have a wonderful day ❗ 😀

I remember the year that Hurricane Iwa hit right before Thanksgiving. We did not have electricity for a long time. Already had the turkey in the freezer so it needed to be cooked.

Mom cooked it in the fireplace with kiawe wood. It was probably the best turkey we ever had.

Happy Thanksgiving All.

My memories are of Mom cooking and baking everything in one night and through the morning. Everyone would come over and we would eat lunch all the way through dinner. 🙂

She did everything. Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Chiffone Pie, Chocolate Pie, Turkey, rolls and rolls of sushi, stuffing, potatoes, baked beans, potato salad, gravy, the whole works.

This Thanksgiving, Sweetie and I are staying home (good thing too since we got a little more snow this morning) – our goal is to stay in our pajamas all day. I’m trying a recipe for crockpot turkey for two, gluten-free stuffing (I found out I’m allergic to wheat – junk), crescent rolls (for Sweetie), Brussel sprouts (first time I’m cooking them – with bacon!), potatoes, and ice cream for dessert. And Mythbusters marathon on Discovery all day today! Woohoo!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My Thanksgiving memories are similar to my Christmas memories. Mom and I would go to Grandma’s house at about noon to help her with the cooking and cleaning. Grandma and Aunty would have already put the turkey in the the huge iron roaster by the time we got there, and Aunty’s stuffing (I’ll always remember her Portuguese sausage and mac nut stuffing – it’s the BEST). We would help with chopping ingredients for nishime, make potato salad, and all kinds of other stuff. Aunty would roll her famous sushi. We’d dust, vacuum, then take showers, and if we had time, take a little nap. One of my duties was making punch – fruit juice, 7-Up and sherbet. Relatives would start arriving around 6 p.m. with all kinds of gochisoo (goodies) – sashimi, other sushi, nishime, pies, jello and other desserts of all kinds. There would be several rounds of eating – dinner first, then dessert. Those were the days.

@DIO- too funny, I guess thats what most people do!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

My observation is that, at least for me, it is easy to take things for granted. I have a few recollections of Thanksgivings past, but the memories that tend to bubble-up the most are from the years of “early independence” (i.e., got a driver’s license and a car!).

I wonder if it’s partly due to the fact that I never really cared for turkey back then? LOL.

What I remember from the “early independence” years is that the goal was to run away from the family gathering. Terrible, yeah? Then, what I remember most is that everything was closed on Thanksgiving!

Funny how things change. I now like turkey and Black Friday is beginning to start on Thanksgiving Day! LOL.

Checking out Black Friday ads and planning our attack…

121. ct says:

Happy Thanksgiving MLCers!!!

I have so much to be thankful for … my boys … my family and friends … and many new friends here on the blog. Have fun … eat alot … hug everyone within arms reach. Be safe in your travels everyone … take care or each other.

ct

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My memories of the turkey meal growing up is waking up to smell the oven roasting the bird and stuffing. Dad left for work early. But blessed his heart, he made sure the turkey was in the oven for the family.

I heard the average turkey meal is 4,500 calories. Better hold the mayo for the next day’s turkey sandwich!

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Thanksgiving ❗ 😀

Happy Thanksgiving, M ❗ Have a great day ❗ 😀

Happy Thanksgiving to you all !! Everyone of you are special to me. Be safe, don’t drink and drive!

Dean, yes, I’ve worked hard all my life. This is the first time, I’ve had time to myself ever! Hubby wants me to find another job. I told him I’m still unwinding ❗ 😀 May need a few more months, it’s nice to go to movies on a week night, do what we want when we want.

I do have one job now as a “Secret Shopper” . We did 7 secret shops this month. I have 2 more to go after Thanksgiving day. I am paid to eat and write a survey. I call this a “plum job assignment: 😀

snow, thanks for the kind remarks. Relax and enjoy our company ❓ I will certainly try after I cook our turkey from Zippy’s and heat up all the fixings.

This is the cleanest and nicest our home has been in years! When I worked multiple jobs and cared for my disabled Mom, housework was just a memory. It’s easier to do a little bit every day, than the whole house in 2 months!

DIO 😆

128. David In Oregon says:

volleymom2: I thought you were supposed to eat in celebration, and exercise in moderation? 😆

Mom and dad still cook the turkey, I bake the pumpkin pies, and then we head to my brother’s house for Thanksgiving. He will also roast a turkey. His in-laws come over to celebrate, too.
    Remember to eat in “moderation”- Happy Gobble Gobble everybody!

130. Keoni says:

@Rod Wow, My first cooking experience and I made jook without even knowing it!! 😆

131. Dean says:

Gee, Linda, you were a hard worker all your life. Retirement is gonna be boring!

Sally… My cooking skills are more or less on par with your “reheating the ham”. I’m starting to figure out a few things. But the key word is “few”. Other than that, I know enough to keep me from starving to death.

I never did get involved in the cooking at Thanksgiving. My mom and grandmother did it all. And of course it was just outstanding.

When we were kids I recall friends and relatives coming over to the house and enjoying the spread. As time went on everyone went their separate ways. Now it’s with my wife’s family and my mom still brings something, even though she doesn’t have to.

The old memories are fairly dim now.

For the holidays I now have the task of making the roast, one of the few things I can do well. It won’t be for Thanksgiving this year, but for Christmas.

@Keoni – turkey jook!

133. Keoni says:

I remember one year my mom had to work Thanksgiving. I think I was about 12 and knew nothing about cooking. She prepared the turkey and gave me instructions to add water to the roasting pan several times during the cooking to make sure it didn’t become dry and burn. Well, brilliant flash of inspiration, I thought, “I’ll just put it in all at once and not have to worry about it after that.” Needless to say, the turkey drowned!! I think we were able to eat some of the boiled meat, but it certainly wasn’t roasted. Thank goodness I’ve learned a bit about cooking since then.

134. superman808 says:

Happy Thanksgiving MLCers!

I remember one Thanksgiving that my dad made this killer braised beef. Sadly, he passed away and took that recipe to the grave.

Have to figure it out on my own. I’ll let you know when that happens.

Supes

Back to housecleaning, night all ❗ 😀

136. snow says:

@LK – you worked hard so just remember that you need to take some time to relax and enjoy everyone’s company!! sit down and enjoy your thanksgiving meal with your loved ones! hope you have a wonderful thankgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, Snow ❗

You are so funny, after eating all day you are more stuffed than the turkey 😆

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ❗ Enjoy the food and fellowship with your family ❗ 😀

And, please drive safely ❗

139. snow says:

@C0hiba – hey, i thought you saw me (like i saw you) and i didn’t know it! no? i heard my name, though! 😉

140. snow says:

happy thanksgiving rodney, aunty paula and MLCers!

i remember having to tear the bread into little pieces to make stuffing when i was little (kinda like you, rod, except my bread was still soft!). i’d lay all the pieces of bread in pans so they’d dry out a bit and a few hours later, i’d sit at the table, tearing bread up for about an hour. as i got older, i didn’t want to do it anymore so i used to wait until the last minute… right before my mom made the liquid-y stuff with the giblets and bacon to mix in with the bread!

it was the best stuffing, especially when my dad used to smoke the turkey in the kamado and we’d smoke the stuffing, too! mmmm… smoked turkey! that was the best!! i still need to try using the kamado one day… we have that giant green dinosaur egg in the garage! anyway, stuffing is still my favorite part of the meal! yum!

thanksgiving was always at our house (my mom’s house) so when my entire family was living here, our home was quite packed! everyone would always fall asleep while watching football… any place you could find in our tiny living room was fair game for a nap! now, we go to my sister’s house for thanksgiving dinner… after our thanksgivng lunch at my in-laws. i’m more stuffed than the turkey by the time i get home!

This year is a totally different story. Since I am the only family member who owns a home now, Thanksgiving dinner was transferred to me. Thank goodness I am retired or I could not have pulled this off. My home looks great for company. Took m husband and I, 2 whole months to get ready for tomorrow. I ache all over. I will mop the kitchen and bathrooms, clean the bathrooms one more time tonight so tomorrow, I will just do kitchen duty. We will be hosting about 30 relatives tomorrow if they all show up. We’ll see how things go. If I do this again, I’ll have to win a dishwasher for next year ❗ 😀

Thanksgiving USED to be my favorite holiday of the year. From 11 years old to age 18 (for 8 years), I was required to make breakfast, lunch and dinner for my divorced Mom, brother, sister and me for 364 days of the year. Thanksgiving was my ONLY day off. My Mom would cook the turkey, make great stuffing and gravy, baked ham, salad and a great feast. I would put my feet up and rest from cooking for that one day only. My Mom passed away on 9/11/09 so there went my memorable Thanksgiving dinners. My brother hosted Thanksgiving dinner at my Mom’s home for the last time last year beforeher home was sold.

143. David In Oregon says:

Lee’s Bakery…..ohhhhhhhhhh (drooooooooool) 😛

144. David In Oregon says:

Dang, sally for the win!!

Our Thanksgiving takes simplicity to the extreme. Since it’s only my brother, SIL, nephew, daughter, and me… we pretty much cook what we want. My aunty and cousin that live in the “back house” (of the two house lot) come over and join us.

SIL does the Turkey (and world’s best stuffing!), I make the ham (reheating IS cooking!), cousin makes whatever. Last night, SIL asked if I wanter the Pumpkin Crunch again. We’re getting kinda tired of it and I told her it didn’t matter to me. I’m not a huge pumpkin fan and not willing to wait in line at Lee’s Bakery in Chinatown so I’m gonna make an apple/pear crisp.

Wow, this came outta nowhere!

Happy Thanksgiving to Rod & Aunty Paula and all the MLCers!