A Charlie Brown Christmas (Tree)

I’m rerunning a post from November 2008 when we had a guest blogger – Paula!

A Charlie Brown Christmas (Tree)

Before

After

Last week, I went to the Kaheka Don Quijote because I knew they had Christmas trees for sale already.  I wasn’t looking to buy a tree; I just wanted to smell them.  As I walked through the area enjoying the intoxicating fragrance, I noticed the conspicuous absence of the trees I remember from my childhood: The cheap “Charlie Brown” Christmas Trees.

You know which ones I’m talking about?  They’re the pathetic-looking, scraggly trees with huge spaces between the branches.  These branches grew out at random, sometimes mostly from the same side of the trunk, leaving one side bolohead, but that was fine, because that’s the side that would face the wall.  Neither did it have the perfect cone shape of the typical Christmas tree.  Sometimes the upper branches stuck out further than the lower branches.

Did I mention these trees were cheap?  As an adult, I remember the 3 to 5 foot trees being advertised for $4.99.  There were also the “premium” trees whose branches, while just as sparse, managed to emanate uniformly around the trunk and attain the preferred shape.  The price for those trees was about double.  As for the fancy sheared Douglas Firs and Noble Firs that are commonly available today, I thought of them as the trees only rich people bought.  I don’t know if we were financially strapped during my childhood, or whether my parents were selectively frugal, but we always got the “Charlie Browns.”

Once we selected the least misshapen tree, the workers wrapped it with twine.  They had that contraption that they shove the tree through to get the netting on, but it would have been a waste since the net would have done little to hold our skinny little tree together.

It was always exciting to put up the tree.  First we had to get it to stand straight.  We had that tree stand with the red bowl and green legs.  We got that assembled and tightened the screws to hold the trunk in place.  But, alas, although tightened all the way, the screws didn’t even reach the skinny stem of a trunk.  Experience had taught us through the years to get the newspaper ready to wrap around the trunk to bulk it up at the height of the screws. If the angle of the tree wasn’t right, broken wooden clothes pins were at the ready to use as wedges.

Thinking back, it didn’t matter if the tree wasn’t the perfect shape, because once decorated, it looked pretty darned good, just like the one everyone decorated together in “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”  The meager branches left space to see the decorations we had hung.  I miss the “Charlie Brown” trees.  In fact, I haven’t noticed any for sale in the past number of years… until today.  We went to smell the trees at Star Market, and lo and behold, there they were, waaay in the back corner!  The ugly ducklings of Christmas Trees were selling for $9.99.

Paula finds her Charlie Brown tree

As Rodney previously mentioned, we have a fake tree now.  It’s a 4-foot fiberoptic tree.  We’ve had it for around the past 5 or more years, ever since the year we picked out a beautiful Sheared Douglas Fir and left it standing in a bucket in our carport until it turned brown and died without ever having been put up and decorated.  I’d like to get a second tree this year; perhaps a “Charlie Brown” just for the smell, or maybe because I’m a sucker for the underdog.  I can just imagine our kids rolling their eyes.

Do you remember buying Charlie Brown Christmas trees?  Do you still put up a live Christmas tree?  If so, are you going to continue the tradition in the years to come (C0hiba)?  How about those old teardrop shaped light bulbs that screwed in and burned super hot – with it’s lead paint chipping off?  Share your Christmas tree memories.

192 Responses to “A Charlie Brown Christmas (Tree)”

1. Mike in Waipio says:

@ct: You provided three versions of one of my two favorite Christmas songs. However, my favorite version is Judy Garland singing “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” to Margaret O’Brian in “Meet Me in St. Louis”; check out that one. My other favorite Christmas song is Mel Torme’s “The Christmas Song (Chesnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)” recorded by many; but my favorite is by Nat “King” Cole with the orchestra behind him (not the trio).

2. C0hiba says:

@largo, would love to hear Gail again. Can’t make it this week tho. Getting there again for xmas. Daughter coming home for a visit, so gonna visit her gma xmas night.
    I’ll take a look at the pics from Sat after dinner. Long day today. Haven’t even had a drink yet.
    Did the KHEA’s show up? Opso?

M, sorry your son’s team didn’t win. Sounds like it was a good game. At least the weather improved. Early this morning I thought it was going to rain all day and all night. Surprisingly the sun came out and it was a pretty day.

ankles, thanks for the music ❗ 😀

Lots going on in your life ❗ How are your daughter and grandbaby doing?

I was busy in the kitchen making stew tonight ❗ Yay, no turkey ❗ 😀

Good evening MLCers ❗ 😀

snow: thanks for your birthday wishes for our son. 🙂

C0hiba – Heartsong is playing at The Ground Floor this Friday from 7:00 – 10:00. Two beautiful lead singers in Heartsong: Gail Mack (George Street) and Joy Waikoloa (White Light).

We’ll be there.

@C0hiba, we didn’t make it, we were to tired from shopping Friday and Sat and going to my sons soccer game on sat too.

9. C0hiba says:

@M, did you make it the Hawaiian Brian’s Sat?

Howzit C0hiba!
    We haven’t started baking yet. Pretty soon.

11. C0hiba says:

Howzit M!
    You and Masako pau baking?
    Sounds like your son has a pretty good team. Iolani posed to be the tops.

Guud evening!

My sons HS lost the soccer scrimmage against Iolani 2-0. Not bad at all considering Iolani was last years State champs.

13. C0hiba says:

Happy Holidays to all!
    I’ve been mia from the blog for awhile. Lots going on over here.
    Read it each day.
    Missed the Hawaiian Brian’s party Saturday. Ended up flying out Saturday night instead of Sunday. Suit cases were filled up with junks so no sense shopping one more day.
    Don’t want to clog the blog with irankoto, but thanks for the info ankles. The clay bar instructions say to use the zano car wash soap with water. I noticed water spots on the trunk so think I will do it now instead of later. Just takes so much time.

COhiba:

I can’t find that email 🙁

COhiba:

I haven’t looked in that email account for over a month. All the clay bar does is to remove the imperfection in the top layer of the paint – clear coat. If you can borrow Mrs. cOshiba’s nylons and run it over the paint, see if you can feel any snags as you do it. More than likely there will be. I used the Zaino gloss enhancer as the lubricant, but this was about 6-7 years ago, they may have recommended another procedure since. The main thing is to keep the clay bar lubricated at all times.

COhiba:

If there exists a CB artificial Xmas tree, I have it. It looks nothing like the picture on the box. I would swear it is missing a few branches….the bottom half is in one direction, the top half leans in another ❗ My kids love it thou…I’ll put a picture of it on FB..

17. C0hiba says:

@ankles, daughter is in DC, said getting cold there too.
    Did you get my mail about Zano? Do you recommend claying and applying to new car?

SM is currently in Baltimore, doing an install for her ex-boss. She called me just after landing and picking up her rental car. She was looking for a place to pick up dinner…..no Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chipolte, Applebee’s, Mimi’s Cafe, Mexican/Chinese…..just a noodle place and McD’s. She has a cold and her voice shows it..lousy weather and COLD there…she’s flying back home tomorrow afternoon.

Suppose to be a low of 37° tomorrow here…….glad I’m telecommuting… 🙂

19. C0hiba says:

Last night, the buggah was leaning forward with all the ornaments on it.
    At first I pushed the tree back, thinking that the base would lift with the tree so I gave c0shiba a pack of cards and told her to crawl under the tree and slip it under the stand. She says what?
    Then I noticed that the tree was leaning in the stand, needed to be wedged against the stand.
    That’s what happens after too many beers. Was at one fund raiser earlier and the drinks were free.
    Uncle Scrooge is not getting a tree next year. This is the last year. I’ve put my foot down!

Carlos Santana – Bella

Santana – Samba Pa Ti

Carlos Santana – Europa

23. snow says:

good afternoon MLCers!

happy birthday to kevin! hope he has a wonderful birthday!

@C0hiba – lol… you better listen to LK! don’t be a scrooooooge!! :mrgreen: heh heh heh… oh, you KNEW i couldn’t let that one pass me by! 😉 (anyway, you can’t beat a REAL tree!)

Thanks, Kage, Seawalker and 4G for your good wishes for my son 🙂

Seawalker, Kevin didn’t buy Mom anything but called me the other day to pay for his flight home for the holidays. We didn’t mind. We don’t see him enough since he is active duty military.

@LK – Happy birthday to your son, Kevin. Now, if I could only remember 22 . . . . lol.

Happy Birthday Kevin, LK’s son. Remember to buy your mom something even though it is your b-day. See @LK, when it’s good practical advice, I don’t forget. Thanks.

@COhiba – Glad that your wife tried the lights on the inside of the tree. It really does give the tree some extra pizzaz! Welcome to the old dog’s club… LOL

Happy Birthday, Kevin K.

@KAN- 🙂 good way of looking at it.

Thanks, KAN ❗ 😀 Have a great day ❗ 😀

Happy birthday, Kevin K! And LK, as I’m fond of telling Sweetie, getting older beats the alternative (and the alternative is NOT getting younger). 🙂

Thanks, M!

Hope YOUR son has a great game today. The sun is coming out now!

Happy Birthday to LK son Kevin!

I just realized it’s my youngest son’s birthday today ❗ Kevin is 22 years old today. He is serving in the U.S. Navy stationed in San Diego, California. This means I am getting older 😆

Cohiba, please watch the Hallmark Channel so you can get into the Christmas spirit ❗ 😆

Good Morning All.

@COhiba- 🙂 last tree.. uh, huh, uh, huh…. we will see.. 😉

@M- I am sure they will do great.

35. C0hiba says:

Uncle Scrooge can’t type. Humbug.

36. C0hiba says:

@Linda…. Baaahh Hubug!

My sons HS scrimmage Iolani in soccer this afternoon. Iolani is last years state champs so this will be a gauge to see what my sons team can do.
    I hope it doesn’t rain.

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Wednesday ❗ 😀

It rained all night in Waipahu ❗ No need water the yard today ❗ 😀

Today is the first day of December ❗ 25 days til Christmas ❗

Guud morning MLCers family!
    It’s pouring this morning!

c0hiba you crack me up!

41. David In Oregon says:

Seawalker: If you are what you eat, and you eat turkey, does this also apply to how you speak? If you are turkey, do you speak in gobbledygook? 😆

Thanks, ct. Good night ❗ 😀

43. ct says:

Well … good nite all … can’t play Christmas songs without Karen …

The Carpenters – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Have a great day tomorrow everyone … stay safe out there …

C0hiba, don’t be a scrooge ❗ Buy a Christmas tree EVERY year ❗ Memories like this is what life is all about ❗ Enjoy ❗ 😀

Glad you had fun shopping on Oahu ❗

45. C0hiba says:

Good Evening MLCers!
    In my younger years we used to get the white frosted trees. Always wanted one that smelled like a tree. You couldn’t smell much from those trees.

We left HNL one day early from our Black Friday shopping spree. Sunday morning we head to Kona and Walmart to buy the tree. Sold out! Yep Paula, I tell C0shiba last year was our last tree. I put my foot down. I’m the king of this castle! What I say goes!

So………… we find one at Kmart. 7 foot noble pine. Posed to shed less. So how come my SUV was full of needles? Stuck in the nylon carpet stuff.
    So C0shiba spent last night decorating our last xmas tree.

@Seawalker, I gave my wife your suggestion of putting the lights inside the branches. She thought it was a good idea. Too bad this is our last tree…. forever.

46. ct says:

@Linda – Well … maybe I shouldn’t have put it that way … it isn’t really HIS group … he plays backup tenor and alto … but their lead guitar is pretty unreal.

He just got back from Vegas on Friday … went with the UH Pep Band to the WAC Women’s VB tourney .. was pretty bummed when the Wahine lost … but first time to Vegas … and didn’t lose everything … hahaha … actually brought back some unspent cash …

ct, wow, your son is talented ❗ 😀

ct, I knew you were kidding 😀

48. ct says:

A little different version …

Tom Scott – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

49. ct says:

Almost forgot … for anyone not doing anything in particular this Friday night. My oldest son’s going to be performing at Hawaiian Brian’s early on with his group “Complete Insanity” …

50. ct says:

@Linda – Was jus kidding … but you know if you hit it big … you going get plenty more … “good friends” … you nevah even met before … hahaha

ct, glad you were able to enjoy your family from Maui on Thanksgiving Day ❗ 😀

ct, you more than anyone else KNOW that I share what I can with my friends ❗ 😀

52. ct says:

@Linda – Well … good luck to you … we’ll all keep our fingers crossed … but hey … when you hit it big … no forget all your friends ehhhh … ahahaha

My part time job as a “secret shopper” also keeps me busy. We did 9 “secret shops” in November. It’s like having a job to do. I have to do 6 more “secret shops” in December before our trip to Omaha. Every day is busy, I have lots to do. I send in contest entries every day by snail mail and the internet, hoping to win that BIG ONE, one day ❗ 😀

Oops, sorry for all the typos.

ct, I asked my boss for 2 days off from work to go to Omaha for our daughter’s graduations. She said, “no, we’re too busy” so I retired ❗ The day I received notice I couldn’t take the trip I put in for my retirement and went through with it. I have no regrets. For so many years I put my job before my family, this time I put all my time and energy towards my immediate family and my entire family, my brother, his children and my sister-in-law’s family. I was always too busy working to enjoy my family. I am sort of catching up on all the years I missed listening to them, talking to them and laughting with them.

56. ct says:

@Linda – Yeah … Thanksgiving was pretty special this year … my step brother came in from Maui with his family and brought his new one year old that I haven’t seen before … and his girl is now four … yikes … how time flies. And yeah … ate tooooo much … as usual … but still had sooooo much leftovers … still eating turkey and ham sandwiches … *burp* … errrr … excuse me … hahahaha

Gee … for someone who just retired … you sure are busy … hahahaha … nah … that’s the life … enjoy … and share moments with family … that’s what it’s all about … wow … you making me jealous … hahahaha

Hi, ct, yes, we had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hope you did too ❗ Now I have to get ready to go to Omaha for our daughter’s graduation.

58. ct says:

Amy Hanaiali’i & Jake Shimabukuro – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Sorry couldn’t find a regular recording. Pretty good for live but ends a little abruptly.

For those of you still without a picture next to your name, go to http://gravatar.com/, click on get your Gravatar today, follow instructions to put up a picture.

60. ct says:

@Linda – Howzit … hope all is good. Sounds like everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Rod, I was watching a new movie from Blockbuster, “Knight and Day” with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz, funny movie ❗ 😀

ct, good evening ❗ 😀

63. ct says:

@Seawalker – Yeah … gotta get da locally made ones. One of my clients son’s troop collects branches from local lots and makes them. Otherwise … some of the wreaths are kinda funky smelling. But what a predicament … cannot get rid of a wreath that your boss gave you … hahaha

Seawalker 😆

@DiO – Fowl, eh? Here’s another one. You are what you eat. Since I had a good helping of turkey, then you can call me a turkey. And for some people, it might even be “cold” turkey with the l.o.’s the next day. LOL

@ct – Speaking about wreaths, one year a lady had a wreath next to her desk at work that was given to her by her boss. Supposed to smell good, right? Wrong. Somehow, I think the moisture in the refrigerated containers was absorbed into the wreath. Stinky! So every time I walked by her desk, she would shoot me a look and say, ‘it’s the wreath, not me’. Then I would just laugh and not say a word.

66. Keoni says:

Talk about CB trees (or “threes”, whatevahs!). I was riding the bus home from Walmart tonight and a girl sitting across from me had a small boxed CB tree! I started laughing and asked where she bought it. It was from Sears. How timely that I would see that while we are discussing the topic. Rod and Aunty Paula, you are right on on time with this! 😆

67. ct says:

I guess it’s never to early to start to get into the Christmas spirit.

This Christmas – Yutaka

68. ct says:

Alas … but nowadays with a smaller apartment … mostly only pickup a Christmas wreath every year from the Boy Scouts for the smell. I used to buy trees for some school fundraisers and donate them to shelters but times are a little tight with 3 boys in college. Can you believe it … it’s the eve of December already … my co-worker said … hey … you know … there’s only 3 weekends before Christmas. Yikes … panic is starting to kick in … as I haven’t really started shopping yet … hahaha

69. ct says:

And yes … I remembah putting da aspirins in da water … don’t really know what that was all about … but we always believed that it would make the tree last longer … but my father always made sure we cut the bottom pretty good so the tree could drink up a lot of water. And since we had to cut the lower branches to make the tree fit in the stand, we used to put the cut branches in our room to make it smell like Christmas.

70. ct says:

We nevah have da fancy ornaments but remember da conical lights dat got supah hot. Was kinda jealous of those folks dat had those bubble lights. But one year … we got one of those stars with da lights on it … but being a CB tree … had to wire one chopstick on da top so da buggah no start leaning ovah … hahaha … yes da papah clips had a 1001 uses.

71. ct says:

yikes … that’s … But alas COULD not afford da nice ones.

72. ct says:

Good Evening MCLers!!!

Wow … what a meaningful post. Thanks Paula.

Eh … no wonder no moa Charlie Brown kine trees … all da MLCers get da same idea … hahaha

But it does bring back memories … always wanted one of those tall full trees … and maybe … maybe one day … a flocked one. But alas … count not afford da nice ones. Sooooo … like everyone else we got to pick a half price one cuz was lopsided … missing branches on one side. Yes … had to face the bolohead side to da wall. But you know, just having a tree and going through the process of decorating it made Christmas so special.

73. David In Oregon says:

Seawalker: I don’t know about “fowl” moods, but we’ve got some pretty “fowl” weather. 😉

@LK – Turkey sandwiches, turkey with gravy, and turkey jook. Hope that don’t put you in a “fowl” mood. Hehehe

75. David In Oregon says:

Rodney: Wasn’t coal. I think was lava rocks. 😆

Where is everybody? 😯
    Oh, Victoria’s Secret fashion show is on…

@TwoFish – You stocking pulled down the corrugated fireplace?
    Too much coal in the stockings? j/k 😉

M, yes, you are special. One of these days I will try to get up enough nerve to try to donate blood again.

LK, thank you for your kind words. It makes me feel good that I can save peoples lives with my donation every time I make a donation.

80. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everybody!! 😀

Guud evening MLCers!

Good evening, MLCers ❗ 😀

M: you’re an angel to donate so much to the blood bank even without a picture on the wall ❗ 😀

TwoFish: we’re having turkey sandwiches for lunch today, then turkey with gravy for dinner with turkey jook on the side. I hope this finishes it up today. Enough turkey until next year ❗

Just back from the Blood Bank and my picture on the wall is not there. Oh well, it doesn’t matter.

@TwoFish: Oh, I guess then now is not the time to tell you I’m having lunch. L.O. Turkey, stuffing and gravy.

I just bought some squash to make soup with the L.O. ham later.

@Seawalker – yup, agree with you on the UH basketball team. They certainly seem to have more talent this year. Even better? They can hit the TREE! LOL.

Thanks for the ChannelSurfing link – I’ll check it out this Saturday. I’m hoping for good news against UNLV!

88. TwoFish says:

DIO, we didn’t have the light wheel, but we did have a corrugated fireplace that we put up. I think it even had cellophane “flames” that we could affix to a fan or something, and make the fire. I can’t remember, but I think I tried to put stockings on the fireplace, but the weight was too much and it fell.

89. TwoFish says:

LK, if you ever want to unload turkey, I’m game! No leftovers from going to a friend’s for dinner. No leftover turkey sandwiches, no turkey salad sandwiches, nottin.

Our daughter just text messaged me to report it is snowing in Omaha today ❗ Maybe I’ll get to see snow there 2 weeks from now ❗ 😀

Kage and M, you are angels on earth ❗ 😀

Kage, look for my picture on the Platelet donation wall at the Blood Bank. I hit 56 blood donations long time ago and switched to platelet donations after that.

@LK- thanks. I try. My goal is to get my picture on the wall. 🙂 I need a couple more donations to get there. Next year for sure.

Good morning, 4G ❗ 😀

Good morning, M, you are a saint ❗ Thanks for giving back to the community ❗ 😀

Every time I donate blood I feel weak and want my blood back so I haven’t done it in a long time.

Kage, thank you for donating blood regularly. 🙂

@4G – Hey, speaking of 3’s, the U.H. basketball team is looking pretty good this year. The big difference I’ve notice is that the team is much more athletic. Athletic = Talent = Wins = Fans = Excitement! You watching the UNLV game? I’ve been soaking it up on my computer lately. http://channelsurfing.net/ Think that’s the same broadcast as Ankles mentioned on ESPN3.

Good Morning All.

@M – good for you man. It also reminds me that the vampires called this weekend for my blood. I better call back and make my appointment. Woohoo 2 hours off of work to donate blood.

Guud morning my MLCers family ❗
    I have a Platelets donation today. I think it’s my 89th time.

Morning, LK!

@Seawalker (November 29th, 2010 at 9:36 pm) – LOL @ Christmas “threes”. I thought you were going to start talking about basketball! 😉

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday ❗ 😀 Today is the last day of November. Time flies ❗ 😀

101. David In Oregon says:

snow: I thought the color wheel was cool too. It’s funny, I didn’t know what is was for, when I first saw it. Even after my parents told me it was to shine at the Christmas tree, it still didn’t make sense. It took a more detailed explanation before I finally understood what it was for. Originally, I thought it was some sort of light you might use on a dance floor, to add color to things. Talk about clueless 😛

102. snow says:

good morning MLCers! hope you are all enjoying the holiday season so far!

my dad would not let us get anything but a douglas fir for the longest time. so, even later, when he said we could pick a more expensive tree, we stuck with the douglas fir (relatives of the CB trees, which i think are so endearing! they are like little trees that could!). my uncle worked at a nursery and would give us a tree for christmas… how i longed for a pretty white flocked tree and i got my wish just once! i had a grand ‘ole time picking the clumps of flocking off the tree and squishing them in little balls! lol… yes, i was quite easily entertained! 😆

in recent years, we haven’t seen the CB trees much. but, we usually get a fuller tree, though, shorter than before so it can fit in a tree bag when we throw it away! lol. and, it has to be a live tree… thankfully, my husband agrees! darn, i’d better go out to buy a tree soon. one year, we kept putting it off and when we finally went to look, we couldn’t find any! thank goodness for the kssk posse! we ended up at waianae store, where we bought two very nice trees (i just took what the guy handed me out of the container! they were the last of their trees!)

DiO – we had the color wheel! thought it was the coolest thing ever. not sure why we stopped using it… maybe when we moved here in ’71 we didn’t take it out of the box!

103. David In Oregon says:

Good night Linda. 😀

DIO, I started watching Oprah with Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman and time passes. Good night for real this time ❗ 😀

105. David In Oregon says:

Linda: That’s right, I keep forgetting. I just wrote a letter to a friend in Omaha. I need to go drop it off in the mailbox to mail out.

DIO, we can’t buy a tree this year since we will be leaving for Omaha in 2 weeks. Maybe next year ❗ 😀

107. David In Oregon says:

Linda: You can buy yourself a CB/MLC Christmas tree. 😆

DIO, yes, tomorrow, I receive my 2nd retirement paycheck and have to think of ways to spend it ❗ 😀 Good night ❗ 😀

109. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Good night? So soon? 😯

Good night MLCers ❗ Pleasant dreams ❗ 😀

Yes, Aunty Paula, nice post ❗ 😀

Seawalker, lucky you ❗ We still have a lot of turkey left ❗ And, I thought I gave most of it away ❗

@Aunty Paula – Forgot to mention. Good write-up!

@LK – I had the last of our leftover turkey for lunch today. My in-laws did the turkey this year. But I couldn’t find the wings or gizzards. WWD, those pieces are finger-lickin’ good…

Seawalker, really in the Christmas spirit at YOUR house ❗ 😀

Rod: yes, the smell of Christmas trees are a nice memory. Maybe we’ll go take a walk through the Christmas trees at Don Quijote just for the smell ❗ 😀

Who said you can’t teach an old dog new tricks?

As I was was putting up my outdoors icicle lights on the tree this weekend, Mrs. S suggested that I should put lights on the inside of the tree. And not just wrap it around the tree like I normally do. Man, you talk about making a difference. Lights in the center of the tree actually brings out the depth of the tree. It looks way more full and the lights look good. Yowza!

Seawalker, I’m still trying to finish off our turkey from our Thanksgiving dinner and you’re saying Merry Christmas already ❗ 😆

DIO, nope, our family was not that creative ❗

120. David In Oregon says:

ok, since this is MLC, I gotta ask…did any of you folks have the color wheel? This is that 4 colored wheel which you used to shine on the Christmas trees. The wheel had a light behind it, and the wheel would rotate, making the true look blue, then green, then orange, then red.

121. Ukuhead says:

We had da Hawaiian CB xmas tree… Norfolk Pine… 🙁

I remember small kid time waking up first thing in the morning and walking out to the parlor and smelling the Christmas tree.
    And the anticipation builds and builds.

All this talk about CB Christmas threes (eh, no pidgin) and the smell of pine remind me of the elementary school field trips or excursions we used to go on. I remember going to the Symphony, Ulu Mau Village, Tide Pools, Kuakini fire station, Kuakini hospital, Honolulu Zoo, Haleiwa Beach Park, Polynesian Cultural Center, and even Love’s Bakery. Love’s Bakery was probably my favorite because they gave each of us a loaf of bread to take home afterwards.

But back to the Christmas threes. At one point, my parents could not pick out a three anymore because of their long hours at work. So I decided to buy one for them. I recall it was only a week more until Christmas. Most of the places were already sold out of threes. At my last stop at the Pali Longs and Safeways, I saw a three by the dumpsters. It looked like it was a 12-footer, but the top was broken off at about the 6-foot mark. So I hawked it and took it home anyway.

I put it in a stand, a 6 by 6 trapezoid instead of a triangular shape standing up. After decorating the three, it actually looked pretty good. When my parents came home and saw the three, they didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. But one thing for sure, they thought I did alright because the three did not cost me anything. In fact, I think my father said Pake-boy did alright by rescuing the three from the rubbish. A Christmas three sets the tone for the Holiday season. But it’s the life lessons that produces the most memories. And also, some habits are developed early.

I’ll say it first. Merry Christmas everyone! Hehehe.

124. David In Oregon says:

Charlie Brown Christmas Trees!! Yeah, I think my family has had our fair share of those.

Mark’75
    November 29th, 2010 at 9:52 am # edit

At night, we’d turn off the ceiling lights and watch the tree lights glow.

** Like ** 😉

Our military son called home today to ask us to make his airline reservations for him on 12/29/10 from San Diego to Honolulu. I bought one of the last 3 airline tickets on Hawaiian Airlines to Hawaii. Wow, lots of people flying to Hawaii for the holidays! Wonderful!

We will have a full house with the kids home for the holidays. Luckily the house looks nice already!

Has everyone finished their turkey by now. We had turkey with gravy, turkey sandwich, and turkey jook and we still have some more turkey. I made fried rice with the extra rice. Most of them ate the mashed potatoes and stuffing rather than the rice. Who would have guessed no one wanted rice?!

Now I need to run a marathon to work off all this extra food ❗ 😆

ankles, thanks for the music ❗ 😀

Al Stewart – Year of the Cat

Rupert Holmes – Him

Fleetwood Mac – Dreams

Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman – Stumblin In

We use to go up north neat the Flagstaff area and cut our own real live tree, ala, National Lampoon’s Xmas Vacation. I haven’t had a tree in the house for over 5 years until this year. I bought a 4′ artificial tree after Xmas last year…and it looks like a CB tree, nothing like the picture on the box it came it. One year our weiner dog got a hold of the tree stand cover and tiiiiiiiimber went the tree.

I remember putting up the sequential strand lights when they first came out in the late ’80s….they were so cool. Years later the icicle strand lights were introduced. We also had the bubbling lights, I think the ex still have them…I bought up all of the spare lights that I could find back then as the liquid would eventually evaporate.

Good evening MLCers ❗ 😀

Mike in Waipio, nice idea. I have a lot of Christmas lights and ornaments no longer in use I would be happy to share with someone who wants them.

136. David In Oregon says:

Aloha everybody!!

137. Mike in Waipio says:

Had another thought after reading about some Christmas tree fundraisers. Perhaps all the unneeded ornaments could be donated to some fundraiser. Then they could say, “Buy a tree and get some free ornaments.”

138. Mike in Waipio says:

I just had a thought; a rare occurence but it happens once in a while. We also have tree decorations that we no longer need. Rod, would you like to organize a garage/yard sale for MLCers with only free items. We could all bring stuff we no longer need to be claimed by anyone. Anything left could be donated to some charity organization. No junk; only stuff that’s usable. I’m too lazy to organize my own sale to make a few bucks.

139. Mike in Waipio says:

Up to about 20 years ago, we always had a real tree (something in between a fancy tree and a Charlie Brown tree); but I got tired of picking up needles. So, for about 10 years, I put up an artificial tree (green and looked pretty good). But I got tired of picking up artificial needles. Now, no tree (especially since our only daughter moved out a few years ago. We visit other people’s trees and open gifts at the home of my MIL and FIL.

ankles 😆

Look at my avatar….now that is a CB Xmas tree…and it’s shedding ❗

142. TwoFish says:

@hemajang, go ask my bro about collecting the neighbors old trees and putting them in the back yard. I heard about this story growing up.

143. TwoFish says:

This past Saturday was at DonQui at Kaheka, and went to smell the trees. Picked up a few sprigs of branches, and that was my kick back to the past. Reminded me of when I would smell baking cookies and just sitting on the couch enjoying the glow of the lights and the scent of the tree.

The guy said that they sold over 200 trees that Saturday, and another shipment was to come in today in the afternoon or something.

144. TwoFish says:

There was a special squarish device that plugged into the outlet and then the string of lights in to make them blink. This was before strings of blinking mini lights came into fashion.

145. TwoFish says:

Those CB trees were great for putting lightweight and smallish to mediumish sized gifts on the lower boughs. Envelopes fit nicely on the higher branches, or at the flat side that faced the walls when we had the tree in the corner.

146. TwoFish says:

As a kid, I remember peeling apart the tinsel that came in the package, since they used to make them out of foil and not mylar. At least when they hung, they stayed hung and not flying off when the fan was turned on.

Last year in November, I was helping someone out at a storge facility. We had some old boxes and some were marked from China. That caught the attention of these guys real fast. You could tell they were “brokers” and were waiting for the illegal fireworks to get in.

Seawalker 😆

M 😆

I knew a policeman that every year had the best arial fireworks in the neighberhood.

@LK – Honest, cross my heart and hope to die, if I’m lying. LOL

Seawalker, been sleeping through the news lately so missed that ❗

Seawalker, don’t be a “scrooge”. The Douglas Fir smells nicer ❗ 😀

LK – Saw something on TV that said a lot of pyromaniacs are actually firefighters. Huh?

Those Douglas Fir trees were almost the standard sorry, Charlie-type tree when my parents used to bring one home. Shoots, I remember that the belly of the tree was bigger than the height of the tree! Regardless, it made us the happiest kids in the neighborhood.

We just bought a tree this weekend from City Mill. Perfect. It was very symmetrical and according to my wife, it smelled wonderful. Next year, we might go with a Noble Fir instead of Douglas Fir. Why? The needles are a pain in the okole to clean up.

Kage & Seawalker, lucky you two are alive today 😆

@Kage – When the dried up tree was tossed into the yard, we used to throw firecrackers at it on New Year’s Eve to see if it would catch on fire. Yep, sure did. All I remember was an acrid smell from the leftover tinsel on the tree that caught fire too.

One year my nephew is a teenager and was tasked with cutting up and disposing of the tree. Being the creative lazy @$$, he decided that burning it would be the fastest way to do it.

😯 POOF! Flames as high as the second story!

Good thing he did not burn down the house or the wooden fence.

Mark’75, yes, that was my favorite time of the year. My Mom always bought each of us 12 presents each. I don’t know where she found the time to shop and the money but she made Christmas special every year for all 3 of her children throughout her entire life. I really miss her.

@LINDA KATO: Christmas was always the best, yeah? Especially kid time.

Mark’75, the nice smell of the Christmas tree and the pretty lights are what make the Christmas season memorable. Nice memories ❗ 😀

Growing up, we always had a douglas fir tree, not quite the CB type or the expensive one, but nice nonetheless. After screwing in the base, dad would drop in a couple of aspirins in the water. Never asked why, but back then I thought so the tree doesn’t get a headache. The base would be covered with a fluffy white cotton sheet. We had the ‘bubble lights’ too, and old fashioned hand-painted glass ornaments. My sisters would carefully drape the tinsel over the branches, but I’d just toss up small handfuls.
    At night, we’d turn off the ceiling lights and watch the tree lights glow.

sally, I have an inactive real estate license. I remember sitting at many open houses on the weekends. Re-activating my real estate license is one of my retirement options. After the New Year, of course.

sally – 🙂 good idea…

Every so often I go to open houses just to be niele about what the inside of a “real house” looks like. The first place I look for? The Christmas Tree nook. Then I go look at the kitchen.

One can dream.

Thanks, sally ❗ 😀

@Kage: may you SHOULD have a decorated tree… and a camera set up when you leave home. You might have something worthy of America’s Funniest Home Videos. ha!

You too, LINDA KATO!

I know someone with those bubble lights and still uses them on his tree.

Good morning, 4G ❗ Have a great week ❗ 😀

Growing up, I remember that there was always a Christmas tree at Christmas time. I really don’t remember much of the detail, other than the lights, the ornaments, garland, tinsel (in the old days), the scent and, best of all, the presents! LOL. I remember those old style “bulb” Christmas tree lights and even those “bubble lights” – I think those bubble lights eventually got outlawed due to them being a fire hazard. I can’t imagine a time when people actually had candles light their trees – man, talk about a fire hazard!

If memory serves, I would say that up through intermediate school we would typically have the regular Douglas Fir (is that what they are called?) trees. I don’t know that they were “Charlie Brown” trees, but I remember having to position the tree so that the “ugly side” faced the wall. I remember while growing-up that I used to think the ultimate Christmas tree was one of those flocked ones. LOL.

I suspect that it was around high school that we started to get the cultured, sheared Douglas Fir trees. After my sister and I moved out of the house, it seems that my parents have exclusively gotten Noble Fir trees.

While I was married, we always had a Christmas tree. It would be one of the cultured, sheared Douglas Firs. I remember thinking that it seemed to be a lot of money to spend on a tree that would only be thrown out about a month later. It was always amazing to me how heavy those trees were when you hauled them into the house and how light they had become when it was time to throw out. I remember clean-up/disposal being kind of a pain.

I have not had a tree since getting divorced. Hah, hah – I was just thinking about it. If I were to get a Christmas tree now, it would truly be a Charlie Brown tree! I have no stand, no lights, no ornaments, and no garland!

A Christmas tree is really nice, but I have no desire to put one up. I think what I miss most is the smell . . . .

Good morning, sally ❗ Have a great week ❗ 😀

A CB Tree has a lot more scent than the $100 trees.

In my adult years I’ve noticed that whenever I had a tree in the house my nose would go bezerk. But, as long as I lived in a house I had a tree. When I moved to my cubbyhole apt I stopped and turn all my decorating efforts to the office where more people could enjoy them.

Good morning everyone ❗ 😀

I do not decorate. If I did the cats would have a field day when I go to work.

I remember one year growing up the cats ran around the house and one of them ended up inside the branches of the christmas tree. After that the cats stayed outside until the tree came down.

Good Morning All.

We used to get the regular Douglas Firs too. Not sure where it came from since we did not go with Mom and Dad to buy it. I think Mom used to get it from Times since she worked there.

I’ll be at Kalani HS Sat. morning helping out with their Christmas Tree fundraiser. Hope to get enough branches to make a wreath. Stop by and support the school.

178. 91boz says:

Good Morning!

Those trees were the standard Douglas Fir as opposed to the sheared Fir. In fact when I was little I think they were the only trees available. Of course there were the left over trees- the real Charley Brown’s the ones that nobody picked cause they were misshapen or “Hage Moge”, missing branches.

I remember we used to buy our trees from a small mom and pop store in Ewa, Honouliuli Shokai and I don’t recall any upgrades from standard to sheared and forget about Noble or Plantation fir.
    Everyone I knew had the same type of plain non sheared Charley Brown Douglas Fir.

Do they still sell these trees? I don’t recall seeing them for awhile but I wasn’t really looking for one. Like Sally said you have a lot of room for hanging ornaments. We have collected tons of ornaments over the years and we have a hard time hanging all of them on the tree.

Saturday, wife dragged me to WalMart for our annual Christmas tree purchase. I’m not sure if we would have one if left to my own devices, not a big Christmas person…bah, humbug…but actually, I do enjoy the festive tree in our house, just lazy and no motivation. Wife is a plant person and having a Christmas tree is an extension of that. We got a smaller tree this year, a 6-7 ft. sheared noble fir, and I think was $30. Normally, we spend over $50. The bigger trees don’t have enough length on the base and much to my wife’s chagrin, the bottom branches need to be removed. Otherwise trunk doesn’t touch the stand’s base and hard keep tree straight.

I recall our first Christmas tree in 1973 in our tiny Emerson Street apartment. Way too big and wife liked it so much it stayed in our apartment for 6 months, all dry and petrified…a fire hazard for sure.

My tree is up already and the gifts we got on Black Friday is already wrapped and under the tree.

Guud morning MLCers family!
    We gave up buying a tree a few years ago to save money. We now have a 4 ft fake tree that I put 400 lights on. It just glows… 🙂

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Monday ❗ 😀

For those of you who want to add a picture next to your name go to: http://gravatar.com/; click on get your Gravatar today, then follow instructions to put up your picture.

I have lots of extra ornaments too. I’ll give them away one day. This year I’m still unwinding from my hard work on Thanksgiving Day ❗ 😆 No more projects until after the New Year ❗ 😀

Good evening MLCers ❗ My hubby had a knack of finding a Charlie Brown Christmas tree for $5.00. I called him “thrifty” and other adjectives…… We love the smell of Christmas trees. Once I decorated it with lights, bulbs, garland and tinsel it looked pretty festive. 😀

We stopped buying the live trees after all the kids left home. Now we have an artificial tree about 4 feet tall with the lights on it already. Don’t know if I will put one up this year or not.

I have always bought a small tree, maybe not the Charlie Brown type but I admit I am too cheap to buy an expensive one when you are just going to throw it away. I love the smell, too. I had to laugh when you were talking talking about the skinny stem and the holder couldnt screw to the trunk… oh, thats how you did it, well, too late. Now I have a small fake xmas one, table size but its a palm tree one which I use at work. I still decorate my windows and door, but do not buy a tree. I guess I will go out to Sams club to get a real wreath.
    @ sally- I will have to get rid of my ornaments too.

187. Dean says:

Mary just set up our artificial tree. She did a great job and it looks terrific.

But I do miss the aroma of a pine tree. That scent triggers so many kid-time memories when Christmas was one of the most exciting times of the year.

When we went to Wal Mart the other day there was the smell of Christmas trees at the tent where they were being sold.

Maybe we should get a wreath just for the smell.

My apt now is so tiny and cramped I can’t decorate like I used to. I once had every room in the house with something Christmassy in it. Now, I take my decorations to work and decorate the office, may as well let others enjoy them.

I sold a whole bunch of decorations last year on Craigslist, still got plenty more to go.

Woot Woot Ukuhead!

I always preferred the Charlie Brown trees as opposed to the perfectly triangled sheared Douglas Firs. Heck, where you ‘posed to put the ornaments? CB Trees had choke space for ornaments, esp when you got 4 kids in the family and we all bring home our pieces of Christmas Ornament Art to hang. The tinsel has space to hang, the Christmas card can sit in between the branches…

And remember, the bolo head side goes to the wall.

190. Ukuhead says:

1st!!!

Great repost…

Are you guys going to be able to make Tuesday lunch?