Vegas Recap

Yup, we snuck away for a Vegas vacation to celebrate Paula’s birthday.  It’s been a whole year since we’ve visited our deposits in Vegas and thought we were way overdue for a visit – and to possibly withdraw some of our previous deposits.

I kept a little journal so here’s the recap:

Tuesday, 1/11/11  Approx: 10:48 PM

Sitting in row 44 getting ready for take-off.  Paula is messing with her inflatable First Class Sleeper by Tavelon.  Me, I’m just happy these seats have “wings” on the headrest.  We’re on Hawaiian Air’s Airbus A330 headed for Vegas, Baby!

Wednesday, 1/12/11  Approx: 4:41 AM

Touched down under clear skies in Las Vegas.  The flight was pretty turbulent at one point – just after I started eating my turkey sandwich.  I had just poured my Ginger ale into the cup of ice when the turbulence began.  I abandoned my sandwich and decided to hold the cup in one hand and the can of Ginger ale in the other.  Not on the serving tray, but suspended in mid-air as we were bouncing not just up and down but side to side too!  Even hit a few “air pockets” where the plane dropped a bit.  As my two hands were bouncing in rhythm in front of me, Paula said it looked like I was conducting a symphony.

Wednesday 1/12/11  Appox. 6:08 AM

After we got our rental car, it was time for breakfast at IHOP.  But instead of going to the usual IHOP on Maryland Parkway, we decided to try the one in the row of eateries fronting the Las Vegas Outlet mall – aka Belz.  I had the ham & egg melt sandwich.

The main reason we always go to IHOP is because they leave a carafe full with coffee right on the table.  No need to flag down the wait-help for more coffee – just pour to your heart’s content.

Wednesday, 1/12/11  Approx. 7:18 AM

Trader Joe’s in Henderson to stock up on water and snacks.

Wednesday, 1/12/11  Approx 1:24 PM

We checked into The California Hotel at about 9:30 AM.  Got the comp’d rooms, no problem – but no meal coupons.  After taking about a 3 hour nap (while Paula checked out the casino for a bit), we headed back down to the casino to play some – just to get warmed up and get friendly with the machines.

We stopped by the slot hostess desk to visit Carrie Ciudadano and thank her for scoring us the rooms.  She asked how everything was going and we explained that we had a problem with the meal coupons – that we didn’t have any.  A quick call to the front desk and we had our meals taken care of.

Carrie is the best!

*When you play at The Cal, Main Street Station, or The Fremont, be sure to sign up for a Boyd’s B-Connected card and use it every time you play.  The points that accumulate comes in real handy for getting comp’d rooms, meals, and even cash.

Later we headed out to the Premium Outlet mall – aka Downtown mall – for some shopping.  Since this was our first pass, it was more of a “browsing” trip rather than a “buying” trip.  Shopaholics know never to buy at the first place you go to.  Much like eating at a buffet, it pays to scope out all the different stations (malls) first, then go back and pick and choose what you want.

Thursday, 1/13/11  Approx: 7:24 PM

Earlier in the day, we drove out to Primm for some shopping.  As usual, I tried my luck at the casino that’s attached to the mall.  And as usual, I broke even – which I consider a good thing!  Paula bought a few things.  Me, I left empty handed.

As we were heading back, an unusual sight was that the dry lake bed wasn’t dry.  First time we’ve seen it filled with water.  Must’ve been from the heavy snow that happened around New Year’s time.

Driving back, nature was calling so it was a quick stop at South Point hotel and casino.  Plus, we had to try our luck on the Hot-Rod poker machines.  Not much luck this time…

By now it was around 5:00 PM and since we hadn’t eaten since a late breakfast, it was time for our obligatory visit to In-N-Out burger.  We headed out for Henderson.  Me, I had the Double-Double (animal style) while Paula opted for a regular burger (protein style).  Fries – extra crispy.

What was funny was that a few tables away from us – there was this Chinese couple eating their burgers.  After they were done, I saw the guy go back up to the counter and order a burger without the bun.  He must’ve seen Paula eating her Protein Style burger with lettuce in place of the bun.  At first the counter girl didn’t know what he was asking for until he mentioned the lettuce instead of the bun.  Then she said “Oh, Protein style!”.  Just like Jamba Juice, INO also has a secret menu.

After our meal, we headed to Belz to walk off our burgers and do some (more) shopping.  This time I did buy myself a few shirts that I need for work.

We got back to The Cal at about 9:00 – just in time for dinner.  And late night gambling.

Friday, 1/14/11  Happy Birthday, Paula!

After a late breakfast and before heading out, Paula and I tried our luck on the $1 Treasure Chest poker machine.  We each put in $20 and in about 45 minutes later, we cashed out with $200 each.  Shopping money.  This was a nice start for Paula’s special day.

We drove out to Burlington Coat factory on Sahara and spent an hour or so in the store.  Then we headed over to Meadow’s mall.  Paula took a look at the Macy’s store there while I sat outside on these comfortable high-back leather chairs.  I was just beginning to nod off when Paula returned and said there wasn’t anything that caught her fancy.  I told her that I was tired so she said she’d walk around the mall while I rested some.  I remember looking at my watch and it was 3:25.

So Paula wandered around the mall as my eyes got heavy and my head was slowly slipping to the side.  Next thing you know, I feel a tap on my knee and thought Paula had returned.  Instead, it was a female mall security person.  She asked if I was alright and I assured her that I was.  She said she was just checking to make sure I was breathing and that I could continue sleeping if I wanted to.  I thanked her for checking up on me – but being kinda embarrassed, I was wide awake now.  I looked at my watch and it was about 3:50.  I was out for almost 30 minutes?!  Sure didn’t feel like it.

Talk about “Make A”.  Paula returned about 5 minutes later and we had a good laugh when I told her what just happened.

After that, we headed back to the Downtown outlet mall.  I bought shoes.  No cologne on this trip – just shoes.

Then it was back to the hotel to meet up with Paula’s parents for a birthday dinner to celebrate Paula’s birthday.  Her parents had a complementary dinner for them at the Main Street buffet.  We tried to get one too, but we didn’t play enough at Main Street, but I was able to use my accumulated points to get us complementary dinners.  See, it pays to use your Boyd card when you play and B-Connected.  😉

l

Saturday, 1/15/11

Last day of our vacation.  We took Paula’s mom to the Downtown outlet for some shopping.  The place was packed!  First time I saw it so crowed.  The North end parking garage was full!  Paula and her mom did some shopping while I mostly sat around and people watched.  It’s pretty cool to see folks from all over the world speaking different languages.  And I was playing this game of locating the Hawaii folks.  Not hard to find.  I don’t quite know what it is about them, but you can usually spot Hawaii people right off the bat.  It it because they’re the only ones wearing shorts in 60 degree weather?  No, I don’t think that’s it.  I think it has to do with their demeanor.  Just laid-back looking and relaxed.

Then it was off to Trader Joe’s for one last omiyage stop.  It’s not like the old days where you could just stock up on things.  Nowadays, you have to remember the 50 lbs. weight limit on luggage.  Upon arrival, our bag weighted 35 lbs. so we knew we could bring back 15 lbs. more of stuff.  We decided to pass on the heavier nuts and brought back more lighter things – like cookies.  Plus, we had to take into consideration the clothes and shoes and stuff we bought.

Since we were catching the 9:00 AM flight home, we decided to stay up all night so we could sleep on the plane.  The hardest part about doing that is making our last few gambling dollars last throughout the morning.  The 25¢ Treasure Chest poker usually helps us kill a couple/few hours on our last $40 or so.  In fact, this time it helped me recoup some of my losses.  Not much, but a little bit.

Sunday, 1/16/11  Approx. 6:00 AM

Packed up, checked out, filled up the car with gas and headed to the car rental return and airport.  Once we were boarded and in the air, I nodded off for a few, but was trying to stay awake so I don’t miss the meal.  After the meal was served, I felt pretty awake and thought I might not be able to sleep on this return flight.

And the next thing you know, I’m hearing the announcement that we’ll be landing in Honolulu in about 30 minutes.  Ha!  So much for being wide awake.  LOL

So that was pretty much our Las Vegas jaunt in a nutshell.  Oh, how was the gambling you ask?  Well, we took up x amount of cash, expecting it to last the first couple of days and planned to take out a marker for the remainder of the trip.  But we were able to make it though without taking out a marker so all in all, I’d say it was an okay trip.  Yeah, we didn’t come home winners, but neither did we come home losing all that we had budgeted for.

We played video poker, video keno, and even the slots.  Some nights were up nights, some nights were down nights – but we had fun.  And by the end of the trip, I was ready to come home.  And Paula was happy to spend her birthday at the Happiest Place on Earth (for MLCers).

112 Responses to “Vegas Recap”

1. Ocean Lover says:

maddogg…..not sure about that…..AFTER A WHILE us “old farts” will start repeating the SAME VEGAS THINGS and before you know it it’ll get “OLD”. 😉

What ROD could do…..(hint) is revive the VEGAS topic up every couple of weeks rather than every couple of days.

Speaking of Vegas….we have a friend who’s an “Emerald” status B-Connected player. Its beyond me how a Hawaii person can run through 250,000 points in a 6-month period yet she showed us her comp suite at the Cal….pretty nice as it had a jacuzzi, bar, large living room with flat screen t.v…..and she got us in to the Seafood Buffett at the Main St. all “comped”.

The HAVES and the HAVE NOTS………

OL

2. maddogg says:

ocean lover – i second that …. on another note – don’t you tink Rod should revive his Vegas blog ;)… there’s enough interest that could keep it goin fo’ a while – but this is just my opinion….

3. Ocean Lover says:

Whoa! This post is still alive! Thanks Maddog…..DOLLAR RENT A CAR is a bunch of thieves.

OL

4. maddogg says:

tks Rod…will check them out…

@maddogg – Weclome to MLC! We go with Thrifty when in Vegas. Paula looks for the good deals. And they don’t hassle us about taking the insurance.
    Bring back the Vegas blog? Hmmm…

6. maddogg says:

hey Ocean Lover … I went to Vegas in Nov. and had the same experience @ Dollar. The agent went on and on “even after telling him “NO” about “10” times he kept on insisting that it was for my own good – even up to the point when we were leaving he said its not to late to sign up – we’ve been using Dollar for all of our trips but Dollar just lost another customer… does any one know of another rent-a-car company to use when in vegas? BTW – while in vegas went to see Terry Fator at the Mirage – great show even the prelim to the show the evolution of dance routine that MC (Ben Harris) does is great….must see show…da bugga is some good….. Rod – still think you should bring back your Vegas blog….

7. David In Oregon says:

OL: Be glad they didn’t mention any bolohead mynah birds. That would make it freaky! 😯

8. Ocean Lover says:

Yeah…..we figured they got her name when she charged the tickets the day before. The neat thing was that they spent about 2 minutes acknowledging her and telling her (via the message screen) to think of a cow in a pasture and killing it or something.

Its almost 9 p.m. and this old fart is getting sleepyyyyyyyyyyyyyy……….

OL

9. Ocean Lover says:

Its almost 9 p.m. and this old fart is getting sleepyyyyyyyyyyyyyy……….

OL

Whoa, OL dats some cool story! What a way for her to feel special. See? Not all your stories are WEIRD. But they are all entertaining as heck!

@Ocean Lover: Whoa, what a great story…something I’ll never see with a Boyd coupon. Must get out there more often!

12. Ocean Lover says:

My last Vegas story from our trip last month…………

“Ocean Hater” has wanted to see THE BLUE MAN GROUP for several years now and we’ve never gotten around to see them. This trip we planned to go to “make up” for all the previous trips where we didn’t.

The show started at 7 p.m. and we were told to be there by 6:30 p.m. We got to the Palazzo at 5 p.m., parked there and decided to leisurely walk through there and then the Venetian where THE BLUE MAN GROUP played.

After walking through the Palazzo and Venetian and seeing all the stores where I can’t even afford to enter, we found ourselves waiting in line at a little after 6 p.m.

The doors opened at 6:30 p.m. and we went in with the rest of the crowd and settled into our seats knowing that we still had 1/2 an hour or so and I thought I may as well just relax in the seat in the air conditioned theater.

So there we were, the Ocean Lover family of 3 and about 2,000 others as the theater’s rather large with a balcony section.

Right above the stage on the left and right there’s these digital message screens scrolling the message “Please turn off your cell phones/pagers”. This message keeps repeating itself and I’m getting hypnotized by it.

All of a sudden I see the tail end of a new message where I catch “…………welcome the Kealoha Family” and I’m thinking there’s another Hawaii family here! I’m somewhat alert now and watching the message screen and now it says “In our audience tonight…….Mr. ???????? ????????…….he won a gold medal in the 20?? Winter Olympics” The audience applauds.

Now I’m really watching the screen as its 7 p.m. and I’m thinking that the show’s gonna start anytime and another message comes on “Also in our audience……..Mr. ?????? ?????????. He helped write the human genome” The audience applauds.

It continues….”We also have in our audience Mr. ????? ??????….his claim to fame? NOTHING! He’s a regular guy” The audience applauds and laughs.

It goes on……..”Remember the old Arsenio Hall show? Lets all make the sound and fist pumps that the audience would do!” and the audience responds with fist pumps and “Woot! Woot!”

I’m bored and thinking to myself WHEN WILL THIS END and notice another message coming on the screen “Audience, MRS. OCEAN LOVER is in our audience and she has a headache. Lets help MRS. OCEAN LOVER get rid of her headache!” I’m shocked……….Ocean Hater is shocked…….Da Teenager doesn’t care……….

What are the odds that out of all those people they mention my wife….”Ocean Hater” on the message screens?

I thought that was really neat……the show was good but that little acknowledgement….although humorous really made it special.

Thanks for letting me tell my true tales……..

OL

91boz: Thanks for sharing the memories of the 50’s. I was a young child then but I recall everything that was posted.

91boz: I thought of you today because the audio on Wheel of Fortune was terrible. Fortunately it was just that isolated program and nothing wrong with our TV so I don’t need to call you just yet.

Hope you are feeling better. It’s no fun getting sick. Maybe it was something you ate. 🙁 Get well soon!

4G: you are so smart ❗ 😀

ankles: I just paid our annual fee to our Homeowners Association via automatic bill payer ❗ 😀

DIO: I hope the residents had flood insurance in your area. What a storm! Glad your area is better.

@91boz: Thanks, I thoroughly enjoyed it…before my time, but can relate!!!

18. 91boz says:

Good Evening Everyone!
    @Rodney story fo your trip makes me want to go back to Vega$ now, but I have to wait till October.
    I have been out of it for 2 days with a bout with the stomach flu. Not fun having whatever you eat coming out at both ends 3 or 4 times a day.

Anyway here is something I received in my email that made my day. I’m sure that all you MLC’rs will enjoy it too!

Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer (live on Letterman)

80’s mooooooosic…

The Police – Wrapped Around Your Finger

BF:

They take Discover Card….5% cash back 🙂

22. BananaFysh says:

@Kage – 😉 So what, when you drunk, the legs get “loose?” 😆

@DiO – I heard you can pay some HOAs with an EBT card. I think I know how to swipe the card, but I’m not sure how you punch in the PIN. 😛

Just use a credit card mo’ bettah. Just swipe ….. then wipe.
    😯

@ankles – Who is this “gingivitis poster child” you speak of?
    😉

LK:

4G is correct…but they act like the other HOA sometimes 😆

BF:

Yeah, isn’t that a drag 🙂 The headmaster insists only on checks, with picture ID……he still doesn’t think it’s strange that my head shot on my ID is of the gingivitis poster child….we all look alike to him I guess 😆 Almost time for my visit to pay my HOA 🙂

25. David In Oregon says:

Linda: Weather here (today) is better. It’s 43 degrees right now (1:36pm Hawaii time) with a very light breeze. There’s no rain, and I hope there won’t be any rain for a while.

You can see video here of a town about 20 miles away, showing the damage that all of this rain has caused over the past few days.

HOA = Home Owner’s Association?

Seawalker: “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks!” Just kidding ❗ 😆

ankles: I give up. What does H.O.A. stand for ❓

DIO: Good morning/afternoon ❗ 😀

Is it still cold in Oregon? The sun is shining in Hawaii ❗ 😀

Kage: 😆

@C0hiba: Yeah, I figure Vegas will alway be there (as long as there’s water). First time I went, McCarran Airport’s blue buildings stood out like a sore thumb. Took for days to walk from one casino to the next on the strip, with nothing but desert for blocks in between. The next time was like culture shock with the urban sprawl and nothing but hotel/casinos jamming the strip. Last time, still had the Stardust and the Wynn was under construction. I DO like Vegas, though. Next time, I want to try going to new places, well, just about everything will be new to me!

32. David In Oregon says:

Na leo Pilimehana – I Miss You, My Hawaii

33. David In Oregon says:

The Brothers Cazimero “Pua Lilia”

I have been told I have that distinctive walk like other Hawaii people.
    Usually it is when I am drunk.

35. David In Oregon says:

BF: Better check than food stamps. 😉

BananaFysh – 😆

37. BananaFysh says:

Did ankles say he pays his HOA with a check? 😯

I was under the impression that they only took cash. 😕

But I guess if their pimp is okay with it, then you can pay your HOAs with whatever currency is acceptable.

😛

I keed, I KEED!

BF ……. Hoping no angry HOAs come after him

@ankles @LK – Check writing is just one of the measures I try to hang on to. Anytime money goes out, I want to make sure I double check it first. You’d be surprise at some of the errors that occur. Once the money is debited from your account, it takes 3 times the effort to have it corrected. That’s why I’m even reluctant to have anyone charge anything to my credit cards without my signature. If it’s a recurring charge, i.e. your monthly mortgage, yes, then I agree with a bill payer service. Mom instilled in us at a very early age that it is easy to spend money, but it is really hard to save money. Also, there is two ways to make more money. First, increase your inflows (bigger paycheck, interest income, etc.). Second, reduce your outflows (spending mostly). I dunno, I always joke about being Pake. But this Pake intends to retire early if everything holds true. 🙂

Guud morning MLCers ❗

The only time I ever write out a check is for my HOA which I hand deliver as their office is just a few minutes away.

41. David In Oregon says:

Good morning everybody!

Good morning retired lady 😉

It’s more like good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Wednesday ❗ 😀

Good evening MLCers ❗

Seawalker: I was reluctant to change to auto bill payer too until First Hawaiian Bank paid me $10.00 to try it. It was so easy I kept it going. Since we are a “Priority member” there is no charge for the bill payer service. It’s the best time and money saver!
    We always file taxes manually after 1/31, I was only kidding about estimating. Can’t get hubby to try Turbo tax or any other computer program since he does not like computers. I’m a computer whiz compared to him and YOU know how low tech I am! Maybe one day I’ll get him used to the computer!

That’s what I get for not wearing dark glasses while catching some zzzzs.

46. Dean says:

Rodney… lucky thing security checked to see if you were alive, rather than zapping you with the defibrillator right off the bat!

47. C0hiba says:

@snow, thanks for the confirmation. Do you know how she’s doing in Las Vegas? I hope she found a job that she likes.
    @Mark, sorry, ran out of time this weekend. I brought two, one for you and one for your sister. But just could not find the time.
    I guess you don’t enjoy Las Vegas too much huh? I usually go for the UH-UNLV game every other year and find an excuse to go the off years. Used to have our corporate office there so was pretty easy to find a reason. Now only a satellite office, so not so easy

Great trip Rodney!

I think I can count the number of times I’ve been to Vegas on one hand. Besides that, I hardly ventured outside of the Boyd coupons. Tried In N Out Burger, but I’d like to try different eating places…anyone have favorites?

I’ve been using Tax Cut (now taken over by H&R Block) for years as I use to file with Turbo Tax before it costs more. I usually purchase the Home Premium version with 5 free Fed E-files (I do my kids) and free state program….Best Buy usually has a great deal and you can use your Reward Zone points.

50. seawalker says:

@LK – I grumble to the wife because paying the bills falls under my watch. But I heard only good stuff about the auto payment service. That is probably the only area where I’m real “old school” and reluctant to change. For your taxes, it’s okay to estimate, but your estimates should come out higher than the actual income figures. The IRS has a MATCHING tool to compare what was reported on your return versus what was reported on a 1099 or W-2. I bought the TurboTax software at Costco for $50. Good stuff to have if your hubby is a do-it-yourself kind of guy. 🙂

Seawalker: I can’t believe you still write checks. I have been using online bill payer through First Hawaiian Bank for years. No checks, no stamps, no late fees, always on time payments. Many businesses are paid the very next day or by the 2nd day. Some mainland companies are paid by the 5th day. I input the payments a month in advance and know that on my payday, everyone will be paid automatically. I feel like I have a personal assistant! Saves me a lot of time.

The Four Tops – It’s the Same Old Song

M: I speak perfect English. It’s the Aloha muumuu that is the giveaway I am from Hawaii ❗ 😆

Elton John – Someone saved my life tonight (live)

Rodney fell asleep on the mall bench moosic time…

Randy Montana – Ain’t Much Left Of Lovin’ You

C0hiba:

Let me know the dates and I’ll see if I can’t make it, unless I’m in HI again…

57. seawalker says:

Atta boy, Rod. I no see any “greens” on the plate with the crab and meats. Fruits and veggies at a buffet, who needs ’em? LOL.

Never been to In-N-Out Burger. Have to remember that place the next time we’re there. Very nice pictures and words!

58. seawalker says:

Hey OL, I had a similar experience with paying off my monthly credit card. I was socked with interest charges one month and surprised because we always payoff our balance. They claimed that although I wrote the digits on the check correctly, the part that was written was incorrect. I even indicated the amount I wanted to pay on their statement when you remit it with your payment. These guys, they’ll do anything to try and get interest charges from you. Well, rather than dic_ing with them over the phone, I just settled and agreed to pay them 1/2. A courtesy to me? … b.s.! I think not.

59. David In Oregon says:

Ocean Lover: If you got all the paperwork, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Make a huge stink over this whole thing. I guarantee you someone will contact you to make things good.

Not only you can spot hawaii people but as soon as they start to speak you know.

61. BananaFysh says:

@OL – So what rental car company is that again?
    😆

62. BananaFysh says:

re: Spotting Hawaii people – I went to San Diego a few years back for work, and I went to a Bath & Body Works to buy some omiyage. I had the list from my wife in hand. 😉
    I take 3 steps into the store – I didn’t utter a word! – when the gal working there asks me “Hey, are you from Hawaii?”
    I was pretty taken aback, and had to look at what I was wearing to see if there were any tell-tale give aways. Nope, NONE! So I ask her how she knew.
    She said she could tell from the way I WALKED; I guess local people have this :saunter” or something – whatever it was, she spotted it!

She said she grew up in Hawaii, and since she moved to Cali, she could almost always “spot the local.”

Oh, having that list in hand is pretty much a give-away too.
    😆

63. Ocean Lover says:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

I just got off the phone with DOLLAR RENT A CAR………not Budget or Alamo or Hertz….but DOLLAR RENT A CAR.

So we got in to Vegas after midnight on CHRISTMAS EVE. Went to that central rent a car building outside of the Vegas airport to pick-up our DOLLAR RENT A CAR.

My wife had booked our trip on-line……a “room-air-car” package with Hawaiian Airlines. Everything went rather smoothly……and I digress again. 🙁

I get to the counter of DOLLAR RENT A CAR and show the agent our paperwork with the rental confirmation number. He calls up our reservation on screen and asks “Do you want LDW (Loss Damage Waiver)?” and I respond “NO” as I was taught many moons ago that one’s car insurance “follows” you when you go on a trip and that this LDW or “CDW” (Collision Damage Waiver) is a big rip-off.

The agent takes my credit card and points to a signature pad and tells me to “Agree” to each screen and sign when it asks for my signature…..I follow his instructions and we’re off on our vacation.

We got home a week later and our credit card statement comes that weekend….with a charge of $190.89 from DOLLAR RENT A CAR.

My wife is a lil surprised and gets her trip folder….yes, she’s VERY ORGANIZED….and proceeds to call up DOLLAR RENT A CAR. After 15 minutes or so she hangs up and tells me “Did YOU get the insurance when you rented the car?” and I told her “No….I specifically told the guy I didn’t want it”.

“Well DOLLAR RENT A CAR charged you for it” she tells me.
    I’m a lil irras and called them…….went “back and forth” with a guy who told me he’ll open a DISPUTE CASE and gave me a #. Told me I’ll get contacted….that was LAST WEEK.

I’m not real keen on these kinds of things “hanging over my head” so I called DOLLAR RENT A CAR and got in touch with the “Dispute Manager”. He told me he sent me an e-mail on January 11 and I told him “I didn’t receive anything” then he tells me “Perhaps your e-mail thought it was SPAM”. I just checked my SPAM folder and there’s that incessant “Build a Bear” e-mail along with 2 other stuff but nothing from DOLLAR RENT A CAR.

Anyways he told me that I’m responsible for what I sign and I’m arguing with him that “I just followed the instructions of YOUR AGENT”. We go “back/forth” for 5 minutes and he tells me “In the spirit of customer satisfaction I can refund 1/2 the charge” and I’m telling him that “I specifically told your agent I didn’t want the LDW and he told me to “AGREE”…..”AGREE”……and sign the signature pad”

All I’s knows is DOLLAR RENT A CAR will never see the Ocean Lover Family ever again.

OL

64. Andreas says:

Awesome diary entry, Rodney! Nice photos and great narrative, as usual.

Haha! Too funny about you falling asleep in the “man chair”! Wonder if the security guard took photos of you with drool running down your chin and posted on Twitter.

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday to Paula!

65. BananaFysh says:

Looks like you two had fun! I stay all J. I haven’t been to Vegas in a while … maybe 5-6 years? 🙁

@Aunty Paula – T’anks, eh! 😉
    Glad you had a fun birfday!

66. snow says:

happy belated birthday aunty paula! glad to hear that the two of you had a nice trip!

@c0hiba & kage – yes, that was HNL2LAS two-fisted drinking on melissa’s blog! hee hee…

ankles 😆

M: get well soon! Try to have a nice day! 😀

First day of the spring semester…..nice views 😉

Jan:

You can also tell by looking at the water level marks at Hoover Dam.

Aunty Paula:

PHX is on your next LAS junket ❓ 😆

71. David In Oregon says:

M: Dang, take it easy man. Recover quickly.

Can’t wear my shoes so I’m wearing slippahs.

I’m back at work limping around.

Good morning! Rod – Thanks for sharing your trip with us, sounds great!

Aunty Paula: You’d better get to Lake Mead before it dries out. It’s interesting how you can see the dramatic drop in the waterline.

77. David In Oregon says:

Good morning everyone!

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday ❗ 😀

Aunty Paula: glad to hear you had a fun birthday in Vegas ❗ 😀

Good Morning All.

It is like a Monday today… 🙂

@COhiba- I thought I saw HNL2LAS too. Must have been her.

80. Aunty Paula says:

I just wanted to thank you all for the kind birthday wishes from the previous post. I apologize for not thanking you sooner, but I couldn’t connect to the blog in Vegas.

I must also give special thanks to BananaFysh for his mad photography skills! For some ODD reason, that is actually one of my favorite pictures of me. 

We had a nice time in Vegas, even though we do the same things every time we go. Someday, I’d like to go to Lake Mead and/or Boulder Dam, or even go to the Grand Canyon. Maybe next time…

Me agrees with Rod on OL.

It’ll be like Network TV Spinoffs. Triad Spinoffs with OL on WWD stories and HNL2LAS with How to Survive on a Coupon a Day.

C0hiba: my husband and I are both retired. He is my tax agent so he will be continually encouraged to get it done pronto because I want to use the refund money to go to Vegas. We’ll see if he gets tired of my encouragement (nagging) 😆

Me thinks Ocean Lover should resurrect Braddah Lance’s Wassap With Dat blog. He has the best WWD stories.

Guud evening MLCers!
    You guys had a Great trip!

85. C0hiba says:

Wow Rod, sounds like you had a great trip.
    Lucky you were able to take time off so soon after starting your job.
    @Kage, thought I saw HNL2LAS on Melissa Chang’s blog, eating somewhere in Las Vegas.
    I fell asleep once on a chair in Best Buy, at a mall in Las Vegas. Had Spiderman on, so I put my sun glasses on and pretended I was watching. When I woke up, I learned that it was a short loop of Spiderman playing over and over.
    @ankles, we looking at playing golf there again in mid May. Will let you know exact date if you want to hook up.
    @LK, I give you guys credit for being so conscience and getting your taxes done so early. I’m usually calling my tax friends for advice the last week. And I’m always filing for refunds!
    @OL, man you were lucky. Never heard of a policeman voiding a ticket. Maybe he realized how chicken poop he was being to you.

86. David In Oregon says:

OL: I’m surprised. Given the way your stories go, I would’ve thought the cop would make you take a field sobriety test, to see if you were drunk or on drugs. Then, he’d check to see if you were an illegal alien. Then you’d get the TSA patdown….

87. David In Oregon says:

Good evening everybody!

88. TwoFish says:

@OL, I’m surprised the cop didn’t tell you to stop as you were going towards him. I mean, what if you were seriously dangerous?

Or were you wearing a muumuu like LK?

OL you moseying around lately huh? LOL Have you ever done anything and it went the way it would “normally” go? I don’t think your life knows normal.

Good hearing from you!

ankles: Thanks, we will have to wait until the tax tables are updated since we have a ton of itemizations. Thanks for the tip.

LK:

You’ll have to wait till after the end of this month to file if you’re itemizing..tax tables are being updated.

@kage – nah, we didn’t get to hook up with HNL2LAS this time since we had Paula’s parents with us. Sorry H2L
    I guess we’ll just have to go back soon to make up for it. 😉

Good morning, everyone ❗ 😀

Since Rod brought up Vegas, my FAVORITE topic, have been encouraging hubby to do our taxes already so we can go to Vegas with our tax refund. He said our W-2’s aren’t here yet, well I said, estimate already! Dreaming about Vegas in a few months!

OL: what a story! Who takes a trip and almost gets a $200 traffic violation ticket? Glad the cop gave you a break! Hope you were luckier in Vegas!

95. Ocean Lover says:

Hahahahahahahahahaha…………Rodney you’re taking this “MLC” thing a little too far with SLEEPING IN A CHAIR IN THE MALL! Hope nevah have “drool”. 😉

We went to Vegas the last week of December. On Christmas Day I figured the malls would be closed so decided to take Da Teenager to Mt. Charleston to look/play with the snow.

It took us about 45 minutes to drive there from the Main Street where we stayed because of “Dora”, the name I gave to our GPS. Just like a woman she can give lots of directions yet not real good on specifics so it took longer than it should’ve…….but I digress.

We drive up the valley leading to Mt. Charleston and its a one lane road going in and coming out. I get to the end and the road loops around and we’re heading “out”. There’s a shoulder on the road where around 10 cars have parked and they’re all playing in the snow and I figure that since we came this far we should also play in the snow.

I “squeeze” the rental car in the very front of the pack……..not too close to the snow drift as Da Wife and Teenager needed room to open the door. The car’s tires are about one foot in the road yet I didn’t think anything of it as only a car or two would slowly drive by.

We walk to an opening in the snow drift about 30 yards away and just when we got there my wife says “Look!” as she points to the rental car. There’s a COP with his lights flashing parked in front of our car!

I jog to the car and the COP is waving the ticket at me….”back and forth”. I’m waiting outside while he finishes writing the ticket up and he finally winds down his window.

“How much is it?” I ask him.
    “You don’t wanna know” he responds
    “This is great. I’ve been losing over the last few days…..bring my son to see the snow….and now this. How much is it?” I tell the officer.
    “$200………..not a good Christmas present huh?” the officer tells me
    I don’t say anything.
    “Where are you from? What do you do over there?” he asks.
    I tell him.
    “If I were to go to Hawaii…….would it be okay if I parked my car IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD?” he tells me.
    “Its not really in the middle of the road” I respond as I’m looking at HIS CAR parked in front of mines and HIS CAR is MORE IN THE ROAD than mines….but I didn’t tell him that 😉
    “This is your lucky day….I’m going to void this ticket” as he draws a diagonal line through the ticket and writes “VOID” through it.
    I start thinking “Brah………why did you even bother writing it out if you gonna do that?”

Then he tells me “Why don’t you reverse your car as a car just pulled out and take THAT SPACE” as he points to an open space about 50 yards away.
    “After all this….I’m not in the mood” I tell him.

I guess if one isn’t sassy to a cop……a balding old guy can avoid a ticket too!

OL

Since my Vegas trips are mostly with the office now, most of my time is spent in classes. Good way to avoid losing money. What couple of hours we have in the evenings is a treat! Dinners and shows! I’m certainly not complaining! And the boss always allots shopping time… is he not da best?

Husband sleeping in mall while wife shops… I’m sure you’re not the first and certainly won’t be the last!

Good Morning All.

Sounds like it was a good trip. What? No visit with HNL2LAS?

Good Morning MLCers and welcome home Rod and Aunty Paula! Now can I talk about you guys being in Vegas? LOL

Breaking even is a winnah!

100. superman808 says:

“Hey Buddy…WAKE UP!!!” Ha!!

Good Morning MLCers ❗ Happy Holiday Monday ❗ 😀

Rod: What a delightful birthday/fun trip to Vegas ❗ Thanks for sharing ❗ 😀

103. Dean says:

Rodney… nice trip to Vegas. So much more interesting than spending 24/7 in the casinos.

The last time we were there we went to visit the “Skybridge” in the Grand Canyon. My mom didn’t have a problem walking on the glass floor but Mary was a bit freaked out. Still, she wasn’t going to let that bit of fear stop her, and she gallantly made her way around to the other end and posed for photos.

If we had more time I would have wanted to visit the train museum nearby.