More Ala Moana Memories Gone…

Two more stores at Ala Moana Center will become just MLC memories.

The Crack Seed Center closed it’s doors this past weekend.

And the Cathedral Gift Shop will be closing it’s doors in a couple of weeks.

As long as I can remember, the Cathedral Gift Shop was always in the same spot.Β  However, I remember when the Crack Seed Center used to be located just a couple of doors down from the Cathedral Gift Shop, somewhere around where the center stage is now, close to where Ed & Don’s Ice Cream Parlor used to be.

Sadly, there aren’t too many original merchants left at Ala Moana center anymore.Β  πŸ™

But if you could bring back shops from the old Ala Moana center days – which store(s) would you like to see return to the mall?

One store that I always had fun exploring was Iida’s – on the street level corner across of the old sandbox.Β  There was a certain smell in Iida’s.Β  I think it was the packing material of all the goods that they imported from Japan.Β  I could spend an hour browsing inside of Iida’s looking at all the goods – from trinket key-chains to scrolls to samurai swords to Japanese art supplies to ceramic dishware.Β  And a whole lot more.

Another store I wouldn’t mind returning to Ala Moana center would be the San Francisco Rag Shop.Β  They had the coolest “threads” and hired only the hottest looking chicks and guys.

So what merchant(s) do you remember from back in the day at Ala Moana Center would you wish for – to return back at the mall?

Okay, I know we’re all MLC and the memory is kinda fuzzy, so I’ll help you out with a list of olden day stores at Ala Moana.Β  This was taken from an earlier blog post.Β  The names in parenthesis is to give credit to the posters who remembered the stores.

• Mall Level, Sears, Mauka side
    • Woolworth’s (me)
    • Hartfield’s (Sally)
    • McInerny (Shawn)
    • Longs (snow)
    • Foxmoor (snow)
    • Chandler’s Shoes (Aunty Paula)
  • Mall Level, Sears, Makai side
    • Reyn’s (me)
    • Hopaco-upstairs (Mattt)
    • Sato Clothiers (hemajang)
    • Ming’s Jewelers (Mike in Waipio)
    • Leed’s Shoes (snow)
    • San Francisco Rag Shop (snow)
    • Andrades Womens (opso)
    • Andrades Mens (opso)
    • Singer – upstairs (Aunty Paula)
    • Ed & Dons candy store (snow)
    • Hino’s Fabrics (Aunty Paula)
    • Security Diamond (Konaish)
    • Ethel’s Dress Shop (manoa_mist)
    • Sans a Belt (Shoyu Burner)
    • Ross Sutherland Clothier (fishhead)
    • Eleanor’s Beauty Shop (Kaimuki Tita)
  • Mall Level, Liberty House, Mauka side
    • Penney’s (me)
    • Ritz (hemajang)
    • Carol & Mary (snow)
    • Leilani Gift Shop (sally)
    • Hallmark Jewelers (visitor)
  • Mall Level, Liberty House, Makai side
    • Kramer’s (me)
    • Villa Roma (M)
    • Wildflowers (snow)
    • Robins (snow)
    • Pocketbook Man (opso)
    • Otahiete (Coconut Willy)
    • Thom McAnn (M)
    • Musashiya – 1st location (visitor)
    • Carousel (Aunty Paula)
    • Center Art Gallery (Aunty Paula)
    • Conrad Jewelers (Konaish)
    • Gallenkamp Shoes (sally)
    • Paul’s Jewerly (visitor)
    • Standard Shoe Store (Fishhead)
    • Bartley’s (Fishhead)
    • Myrna Loy (Nate)
  • Street Level, Sears, Mauka side
    • Woolworth’s (me)
    • The Butler’s Pantry (NaPueo)
    • Wong’s Okazuya (snow)
    • Sera’s Surf & Shore (snow)
    • Petland (David in Oregon)
    • Joe Pacific Shoe Repair (David in Oregon)
    • Iida’s (Matt)
    • Pete’s Model Craft – 2nd location (NaPueo)
    • Musashiya – 2nd location (NaPueo)
    • Coral Reef Restaurant (Shoyu Burner)
    • DJ’s Sound City (me)
  • Street Level, Sears, Makai side
    • India Imports (me)
    • Lynn’s Delicatessen (Matt)
    • Hopaco-downstairs (Matt)
    • Gifts of the Orient (marcorbito)
    • Party Center (M)
    • Down Under Bar (CoastHaole)
    • Hotei-Ya (David in Oregon)
    • Thom’s Barber Shop (marcorbito)
    • Foodland (snow)
    • McDonalds (snow)
    • Crazy Shirts (C0hiba)
    • Seiko Store (David in Oregon)
    • Singer – downstairs (C0hiba)
    • Dunkin’ Donuts (snow)
    • Al Phillips the Cleaner (snow)
    • Cardland in Foodland (NaPueo)
    • Poi Bowl (M)
    • Banquet Rooms (David In Oregon)
    • Morrow’s Nut House (Konaish)
  • Street Level, Liberty House, Mauka side
    • Penney’s (me)
    • Honsport [Honolulu Sporting Goods] (Matt)
    • Vim N Vigor (David in Oregon)
    • Hino’s (snow)
    • Hackfield’s Restaurant (David in Oregon)
    • Sera’s Surf & Shore – 1st location (snow)
    • Dairy Queen (snow)
    • Pet Center (Aunty Paula)
    • Eki Cyclery – 2nd location (Ekibike)
    • Jon’s (Fishhead)
    • Newcomb Tennis Shop (Fishhead)
    • Seafarer Leather (Shoyu Burner)
    • Fumi’s (Aunty Paula)
    • Sera’s 1st location (Aunty Paula)
  • Street Level, Liberty House, Makai side
    • Keiki Land (me)
    • Slipper House (snow)
    • Bella Italia (ducksinthewind, Hoopfan)
    • Tsuki’s salon (snow)
    • Byron II (C0hiba/David in Oregon)
    • La Cocina (snow)
    • Tahiti Imports (Konaish)
    • Eki Cyclery (Konaish)
    • Jeans Machine (Konaish)
    • Patti’s Chinese Kitchen (Ekibike)
    • Orange Julius (Ekibike)
    • Hickory Farms (Ekibike)
    • Fiddler’s (Ekibike)
    • Wiki Wiki Coffee Shop (Ekibike)
    • Jane’s Coffee Shop (MLC moment)
    • Irene’s Gifts (Shoyu Burner)
    • Farrells (JM2375)
    • Olde Vienna Bake Shop (cj)
  • Center Level, Sears side
    • House of Music (me)
    • Honolulu Book Shop (BananaFysh)
    • Francis Camera (David in Oregon)
    • IIda’s (Matt)
    • Dunkin’ Donuts – 1st location (konaish)
    • Philippine Imports (Me)
  • Center Level, Liberty House side
    • Crack Seed Center (me)
    • Paniolo Trading Co. (snow)
    • Ala Moana Stamp & Coin (David in Oregon)
    • Cathedral Gift Shop (David in Oregon)
    • Ed & Don’s Ice Cream (Masako)
    • Watamull’s (David in Oregon)
    • Tobaccos of Hawaii (losthawaiian)
***
And speaking of things that will soon become just a memory – the FINAL 70’s Nightclub Reunion is coming up in 2 weeks (June 11th).Β  Tickets are still available in the Garden Lanai ballroom.Β  Although there is only a couple of big screens in the Garden Lanai ballroom showing the bands playing, you can always go to the main ballroom, take your drink, and stand up against the wall – just like the old Point After days.Β  πŸ˜‰

125 Responses to “More Ala Moana Memories Gone…”

1. Yv says:

I remember HOPACO and that candle store that also sold twist sugar candy from glass jars. Bayberry candles. Fun times.

Whooops ❗ the previous should be on the birthday blog….

Man what a drive over from the BEEG island ❗ SUN burnt to heck thou, GF was smart and wore a sombrero all the way over 😎 I thought I was gonna do another Earnhardt Jr. and run out of gas somewhere near Palau 😳 (hey, I like to take the looooooong way in the vette)…fortunately there was a oil tanker with Sunoco gas who refilled my tank for me…not bad, getting 400 nautical miles using gas/sails. We made a stop at the Bikini Atoll…didn’t see anyone with bikinis on but their hamburgers were glowing ❗

In my haste to leave, all I had was one CD, with just one song on it, 18 times…Rodney already gave you a hint on who it is…XM satellite doesn’t work too well out in the middle of the ocean. 😑 I think my GF was ready to use the CD as a reflector and shine it at the overhead jets (5 miles up) so she could be rescued from the constant ..I wonder if it was a dream, remember how you drove me crazy, remember how I made you scream… ❗

You know, if we were trailering a barge behind us as we drove through the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, we would be millionaires after recycling it. I’m glad we only hit the edge of it was plastic, as far as our eyes could see ❗

We stopped by the Supa Fairy dock (I told you I take the long way) to see if Ynaku needed a lift….seems he was finally picked up after years of waiting. I need to equip the vette with VOG lights, the fog lights are useless, and snow fall tires πŸ˜‰

HNL finally ❗ Now to go through Agriculture scanning…just a bunch of Trader Joe’s omiyage and t-shirts πŸ˜†

Oh oh….stuck in the parking lot called H-1, gonna BEE last…one question….whea you guys stay ❓ No such location as cyber-luau on my GPS ❗ I think GPS needs the pidgin update…I better call 5-0, I hope Kelly Whooo….err, the buff Grace Park answers πŸ˜† Need to fillup first….WWD 😯 $4.00/gal ❗ I shoulda gone to Costco ❗ I need to turn off all of my electronic devices…..talk to you laters….cYa

4. DIO says:

JC Penney’s? Now that brings back memories. We still have a few stores here in my neck of the woods, so I can still shop there. The one thing that I remember about both Penney’s and moreso Sears, was the catalogs. As a kid I used to love thumbing through the catalogs. Somehow looking at things online just isn’t the same as seeing things on paper. πŸ˜€

5. ct says:

But now you guys got me thinking about Lyn’s pastrami sandwiches … hmmmm … when was the last time I had a pastrami sandwich …

And somehow I remember Ed & Don’s and the first time I ate peppermint ice cream … was there at Ed & Don’s.

The music store and the book store … wow … that was a long time ago … and yep … bought shoes from Robins (Famolare’s) and Thom McAnn … and who didn’t get one of those engraved wallets from Pocketbook Man … and Kramer’s … remember those silky shirts … and Angel Flights …

@Rodney … and Penney’s was one of my favorite stores … bought my first suit from there … (excluding the Saturday Night Fever suit from Two Rebels over at Ward Warehouse … another day)

6. ct says:

okay … that’s lacquer …

7. ct says:

man … Ala Mo’s … yep … lida’s was a great place to go … if you needed to pick up a tea set … or some laquer trays or bowls …

8. ct says:

@ankles – you da man … who cannot get rocked up with “Pretty Woman” … tanks eh

9. ct says:

Good evening all …

10. DIO says:

ankles: Roy Orbison, good choice. I saw that concert on dvd, it was cool. There’s so many “stars” playing up there, including Elvis’ guys from the TCB Band. πŸ˜€

Good afternoon everyone ❗ πŸ˜€

ankles: Thanks for the music ❗ Nice memories here tonight ❗ πŸ˜€

Roy Orbison – Oh, Pretty Woman (live)

Cascades – Rhythm of the Rain (live 2005)

Ashley Arrison – Hearts on parade

Moooooooosic time…..

Social Distortion – Gimme The Sweet And Lowdown

Was the Continental Restaurant mentioned? It was where the center stage is today.

17. PA says:

geez all we have are memories no pattys no crack seed center
    india imports black light posters i remember going into shirokiya
    once or twice it had a really different smell to it

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Wednesday, the first day of June ❗ πŸ˜€

McInerny’s – remember buying my formal wear for a prom from them.

There use to be a Chinese restaurant near where the post office is currently located. We’d have lunch there during our break from Sears on Sundays.

Guud morning MCLers!

21. matt says:

add me in the list of Iida’s fans. also honsport, honolulu bookstore and lyn’s

22. DIO says:

marry the MLC with the new. One of those electronic photo frames showing MLC era pics. πŸ˜€

When Ala Moana had their 50th Anniversary, they opened up a vacant store and had pictures and ads from the old Ala Moana. So I took my camera there and took pictures of the pictures.

I think I have one of the Skirts ‘n Blouses store too. Someplace.

24. DIO says:

Birdcage!!! Funny, I did some ‘net searching and couldn’t find a single picture. I found lots of references and remembrances of it, but not one single photo. Cool pic, Rod. πŸ˜€

25. Sally says:

That’s IT Rod! The Birdcage! Gee, I remember it being bigger. HAHAHA! awww thanks Rod, where’d you get this?

@Sally – I added a picture for you…

@kathi – That AMSC fountain picture link you put up earlier, it was just to the right is where I squirted the lady. Pops caught me red-handed. Think I caught the slipper on the spot, belt in the car, and finally the broom stick at home. But it was worth getting lickings for doing that… hehehe.

28. Aunty Paula says:

Probably. That kind of cutsey stuff.

Aunty Paula: Did Summer’s Place have those “Love is…” figures?

30. Aunty Paula says:

I used to like Summer’s Place, next to Paniolo Trading. They carried Blue Mountain Arts cards and cute gift items. I still have some colored sealing wax and a “P” stamp I bought from there.

Newman: Wow, India Imports! The place to buy important stuff like black light posters, pet rock and canned air. Didn’t they and Party Center have “adult only” sections? As a kid I kinda recall seeing that, but was too scared to look.

@Losthawaiian – The Crack Seed Center has closed it brick and mortar store – but is still available in cyberspace: http://www.crackseedcenter.com/Default.aspx

I thought Guava Lane was the mall level of Woolworth’s original location.

34. Newman says:

The other indelible smell for me was India Imports. That strawberry oil stuff.

35. Newman says:

Been away for a while.

Thanks for remembering the Continental Restaurant. Remember Miyako’s. I think it was near the current GNC and Ewa of the coin ride area.

36. DIO says:

Dang, it was THAT Harrod’s. And to think, I had to go all the way to London, to Knightsbridge, Brompton Road, to go see the store, when I could’ve easily just gone to Ala Moana Center… πŸ˜† Still, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Harrod’s is one incredible store. One day I’ll go back there, to eat, to shop, to eat, to shop. πŸ˜€

Funny, I think it was some sort of chutney that was featured at Harrod’s.

DIO: Yes, it’s THAT Harrod’s. It was just a small section though. Sadly, Guava Lane lasted only for a couple of years before Ala Moana went through a major renovation.

39. DIO says:

Mark’75: Sorry, still don’t ring a bell. When you say “Harrod’s” was there any relation to the Harrod’s Department Store in London, England? If so, I’m really going to be bummed out. That was (and still is) an absolutely amazing store.

40. Sally says:

Guava Lane? Name does not ring a bell. But Skirts ‘n Blouses?! Wow, yah now there’s a name from the past. I don’t think I ever went in that store but the name just took me back.

*snif*

DIO: Guava Lane opened around the mid ’80s after McInerny’s closed. It occupied two floors of McInerny’s and the atmosphere was kind of like a ritzy flea market with all kinds of vendors. There was jewelry, clothing, personalized goods like napkin holders and folders. Some vendors were Harrod’s and Hermes. The Hobby Company was upstairs. I remember a vendor selling “Starter” baseball jackets.

Good evening, MLCers ❗ πŸ˜€

43. DIO says:

Mark’75: Cat Toth mentioned Guava Lane in one of her blog entries. Funny, I have absolutely no recollection at all of the store, not even its name. πŸ˜†

Another place I enjoyed was Guava Lane, after McInerny’s closed. I liked the sheer variety of things and vendors from Harrod’s to The Hobby Company! It was a fun, colorful place.

I’d like to see Honsport back at the mall because of……fishhead!!! Used to see him all the time there, I miss him! Honsport had the best sporting goods and was THE place to buy my adidas.

Yep, “Honsport knows the score!”

The mind’s kinda foggy, but trying to add to the list:

Continental Restaurant was in the center, Street level, behind where the current Customer Service Office is and opposite the old Foodland/McDonald’s entrance.

Muntz Stereo was by the current Center Stage.

Right by Honolulu Sporting Goods and Vim N Vigor was Marian’s Barber Shop.

Skirts ‘N Blouses was on the Mall level, makai side opposite Woolworth’s.

Jeanne Lu Toys was on the Street level, near the current Hilo Hattie’s.

Kinda recall Joseph Magnin being somewhere by Carol and Mary…maybe someone can help with this location.

47. losthawaiian says:

It’s too bad the crack seed center is closing but, I can see why. I went to that store the last time I was home in Feb. Same goodies and they let you sample anything. It is definitely a local’s only store.
    The majority of the mall traffic were tourists and have never seen anything like it. Maybe they will open another store in a better location?

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday ❗ πŸ˜€

DIO: Once in awhile I have a pastrami sandwich at Subway.

DIO:

I make a decent pastrami sandwich…

50. Ynaku says:

@sally, I love “runts” πŸ˜† So I guess you qualify. πŸ˜€

Anyway, like you, one of the dogs I had was a runt that came up to me. The rest of the litter ran away (dunno if they figured out I was Filipino) That runt and I bonded too. *sigh* I miss my Kekoa πŸ˜₯

51. Ynaku says:

Good Morning MLCers. Fun weekend but all tired now. πŸ˜€

Hello and guud morning MLCers!

53. DIO says:

Is there anyone that makes a good pastrami sandwich over there?

Rod: Loved pastrami sandwiches at Lyn’s ❗ πŸ˜€

I used to eat the spaghetti before I was turned on to the pastrami sandwiches at Lyn’s.

56. DIO says:

sally: why you gotta bring up fish n chips? Now I like eat that…. πŸ˜€

57. Sally says:

My friend worked at Lyn’s for a little while so he used to make me tartar sauce for the fish ‘n chips cuz I couldn’t handle the vinegar thing. But he had to be very careful not to get caught by the boss!

58. Sally says:

@volleymom2: You never had blisters cuz you probably don’t have hooves like mine! I don’t think they had “W” widths back then. *ouch* But yah, was cheap so I kept going back! hahaha!

Guud evening and guud night MLCers!

60. DIO says:

sally: Yeah, Lyn’s Deli = Pastrami sandwiches. πŸ˜€

61. DIO says:

kaimuki tita: Thanks for the info on Hotei-ya.

62. DIO says:

Seawalker: No, I haven’t used those Velcro surfah wallets in a long time. I’m using a Tumi now.

@Sally- Leeds- yeah, cheap but affordable, lol!! They were always stylin, no blisters for me. But also, didnt have much money back in those days…!!

@DiO – No like brag, but the one before the Tumi was a Louis Vuitton. Some lady in Dallas saw it all the pukas it had. Time to change wallets. A wallet every decade sounds about right to me. Hope the car last as long.

You still use surfah kine wallet? πŸ™‚

65. DIO says:

Pocketbook Man? Geez Seawalker, I think it’s time for new wallet. πŸ˜†

I think I owned more cars in my life than wallets. The last one I bought was from the AMSC Pocketbook Man. It was a Tumi and I even had it engraved. It’s been through the wash and been misplaced a few times. Gosh, other than a few i.d.’s, it never has money in it. Of course not, all Pakes keep money under their mattress! LOL

Eh @Sally, I was looking for the Hokulani location at the Hyatt Waikiki today. Guess what I found? They have a birdcage over there. πŸ™‚

68. Sally says:

Lyn’s Deli = Pastrami Sandwiches! Thanks for reminding me of that volleymom2!

Leed’s had the most affordable (cheap) shoes that were also very also sore and always resulted in blisters. LOL What I remember most about Leeds was how, if you did buy a pair, they always came back with a suggestion for matching purse. Sales tactics. BAH!

Good evening MLCers ❗ πŸ˜€

Hartfields was my store!! Sure miss that place. Would also like to see India Imports, Foxmoor, Otaheite. Did anybody mention Leeds Shoe store?? Used to buy all my shoes at Leeds! I miss Lyn’s Delacatessan.. didn’t they sell pizza at one time? Thats why I was so sad they closed up.

71. DIO says:

Good morning everybody! πŸ˜€

72. Sally says:

Petland is where I got my Kimi Girl from. Some of you have seen pics of her on my FB page. She was the cutest little black ball of fur. They said (kind of like a warning) that she was the runt of the litter and I said “So was I” so I chose her. Actually, she chose me. She was the only puppy that came to the edge of the cage and we bonded as soon as I picked her up.

So yah… Petland. : )

…and Iida’s.

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Monday ❗ πŸ˜€

Happy Memorial Day ❗ Let’s keep all of our loved ones in our hearts that have passed away ❗

Good morning.

Great memories. Being from the country, it was mostly Pearlridge for us.
    I do remember most of the places you all have mentioned.

Have a great day all.

75. Sally says:

I just posted on FB… if anyone has a pic of the Birdcage, please forward to Rod. I can’t find one online. It’s become a shmall kine obsession. Mahalo!

76. Sally says:

I miss the Birdcage between Shirokiya and Libery House. Whenever we made plans to meet at Ala Moana it was always “Meet at Birdcage”. Birdcage was as iconic (to me) as the Center Fountain and I miss that too.

Good morning MLCers!

Cathedral Gift Shop used to be a must-go every time I went to Ala Moana.

Add me to the Iida’s list too. That place was fascinating.

I also miss Honolulu Bookstore and House of Music. (I guess I hung out at lot in the center of the mall, huh?) I also miss Hopaco.

78. kathi says:

I miss this fountain:

I don’t believe I was ever in the Cathedral Gift Shop, not even once, but it will be strange to not see it there next time I am home.

79. superman808 says:

@Seawalker…yeah…I love the Piroscki. After the move to Fort Street Mall and the old Russian lady sold the place the filipino family, the taste changed a bit. They moved again, still on Fort Street Mall, but in a Filipino take out place across the mallway.

Beef & Cheese, Chicken & Cheese, plus the squid = da Bomb

@Supes – Rada’s Piroscki, no kidding? Like the one on Fort Street Mall once upon a time? For $3, I remember you’d get a plate with fried cuttlefish, slice lettuce on the side, and your choice of the greasy piroscki filling. Sheesh, a mini plate is double the price nowadays.

Ala Moana Shopping Center definitely has the memorable merchants and stores. But for me, it was more the atmosphere than the stores. Especially during Christmas time. The trees would be nicely decorated, big Santa smack dab in the middle of the mall, and the ringing of the bells by the Salvation Army people at both ends of the mall.

Another memory of Ala Modes was when they had the fountains with water coming out of the fish displays. Well… being a numbskull in the pre-teenager years, we would stick out fingers in the fish’s mouth and “squirt” the water. One time I squirted the water too hard and it hit a lady passing by. Hehehe, good fun and I’ll never forget that stink-eye she gave me.

We always ate at Patti’s Chinese Kitchen. Yes, before the food court days. I remember eating the roast duck and beef broccoli the most. Something about the extra red duck skin and the choke ajinomoto in the broccoli gravy remains in my mind. The line would always be long, but it was worth the wait.

DIO: It sure was, loved it then and now ❗ πŸ˜€

83. DIO says:

Linda: You’re welcome. I wasn’t sure if I posted the joke there or not, so I searched for it. I”m glad I did, as that was a funny blog post. πŸ˜†

Rod: The night owl ❗ πŸ˜†

DIO: Guess who ❗ πŸ˜†

DIO: Thanks for linking us back to “funny Friday”, I was re-reading all the jokes you posted and laughing at them again ❗ You know so many jokes ❗ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

86. DIO says:

Better night owls than B52s πŸ˜†

Night owls? Whooooo. LOL

@DIO – πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

89. DIO says:

Linda: “But for some people, every day is a holiday” Who would you be talking about? πŸ˜‰

Lots of night owls tonight ❗ Must be a holiday tomorrow ❗ πŸ˜€

But for some people, every day is a holiday ❗ πŸ˜€

91. DIO says:

Rod: You can spock ’em hea…

scroll down to August 5th, 2010 at 11:44 pm #

DIO – Joke? What joke? Go post um’.

I would also love to see Seafarer Leather store return to Ala Moana. I used to dig those wide leather belts with the stamped and dyed flower prints and stuff.

Although I don’t think there’d be much of a market for those belts. Not yet, anyway. That is until bell bottoms jeans come back in style.

94. DIO says:

eh Rod, no bring that up…you’re going to make me post that joke about Moishe Plotnik in Chinatown… πŸ˜†

I never understood Wong’s Okazuya…

That’s like, like… Toshi’s Chop Suey.

96. DIO says:

Rod: πŸ˜† I totally understand. My problem is with the words stationery and stationary. Since I write a lot of things on paper, I need to have stationery. When I log onto bicycling websites, one of the things I’m looking at, are stationary bicycles. It’s hilarious, since both words exist in the language, spell-check doesn’t flag anything if I swap the words around. So I too am a bloghead. πŸ˜†

Rod: πŸ˜†

“Charlie Brown, you bloghead”. See!

DIO
    May 29th, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

β€œβ€¦ a blog away from Ala Moana Center….” πŸ˜›

block. BLOCK. I meant block! eh, hard to type b-l-o without following it up with a “g”. LOL

100. Sally says:

Yah Rod, a “blog” away? Got BlogBrain? LOL!

I still don’t know why JC Penney had to leave. Were they hurting THAT much?

101. Sally says:

Donna! One of these years I will meet you IRL. I followed your blog since, well… since you know. Then I found MLC and met Rod, found out you knew each other and wait for each BonDance season but then it comes and goes.

Maybe this year? At any rate… I still keep up w/ your blog and have Dancing Fools on my FB.

Sorry Rod, you know I’ve been waiting to meet her for a long time! lol

Rod: Yes, I remember all of the stores that once was at Ala Moana Shopping Center. I miss a lot of them. I haven’t been there in a long time so didn’t realize so many of them are no longer there ❗

Thanks for the memories ❗ πŸ˜€

103. DIO says:

“… a blog away from Ala Moana Center….” πŸ˜›

Hotei-ya was downstairs by the Ala Moana banquet rooms. I remember messing around in that store. Used to have a lot of Made in Japan toys. Little wind up toys.

@Kaimuki Tita – Hey! Thanks for posting the new (old) store. I’ll add it to the list (and give your credit for it).

I think if you go to gravatar.com and create a gravatar, it’ll pick up the picture in this blog.

Thanks for posting Tita. πŸ˜‰

Donna
    May 29th, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

I hate to see local businesses close their doors, especially those that have been part of the landscape for so long. And like you, one of the stores I *REALLY* miss is Iida’s! πŸ™

Hi Donna – welcome to the MLC blog. Thanks for posting! Folks, Donna is the Champuru blogger that you’ll find on my blog-roll. Donna is the reason I decided to blog. You might say – she’s my mentor.

btw – Iida’s is still open for business. It’s about a blog away from Ala Moana center – located at the corner of Pensacola and Kona st. Same block where the original Side Street Inn is. I haven’t been to the new store yet. Must make it a point to go there one day.

107. superman808 says:

@Sally…that’s the best I could describe it.

Rada’s Piroscki when it was in Lynn’s Deli, and made by RUSSIANS!!

108. Sally says:

@kaimuki tita: There’s a link to let you do it. I forget what it was. Hey Rod, do you have it?

Hotei-ya… I remember that store! The big Buddha in front right?

109. kaimuki tita says:

Hey Sally, how do I change the picture by my name? I don’t know how that got there?

110. kaimuki tita says:

Hotei-ya was a smaller, not so cluttered version of Iida’s.

111. kaimuki tita says:

You forgot one place on your list of past residents at Ala Moana Center. Eleanor’s Beauty Shop was on the Makai side of the mall…kind of where Thom’s barber shop is. It was one of the original shops and I always went there with my mom. Had my hair put up in “clusters’ or “ringlets” for proms…you remember…the girls had their hair up with little flowers in the curls…
    On another note…I used to go to the Original Cracked Seed Center located across from Varsity Theater. We lived on Date Street and that was a family outing place. Mr. Kamm always called me girl, and would give me samples of the seeds. If young people went in and didn’t have enough money, he’d treat them. He remembered me when I went there while attending UH Manoa. I would go in to eat saimin for lunch and he always treated me to little treats. His “customer service” stuck in my head, and I’ve tried to be like that wherever I’ve worked. Found memories of times past.

112. DIO says:

One place I’d like to see back is not a store, but a restaurant, Lyn’s Delicatessen.

113. Sally says:

Incense.

114. DIO says:

What about Hotei-Ya, anyone remember what that store sold? I don’t have a clue… 😯

115. Donna says:

116. DIO says:

senko or sennenko?

117. Sally says:

@Supes: “sweet bamboo”? I thought was senko. It was definitely a Japanese smell. LOL

118. Sally says:

Foxmoor… wow! now THERE’S a store to remember. But I guess today’s generation has Forever 21, Jeans Warehouse, and those other stores.

119. Sally says:

Some of the other stores were trendy, and would not relate on the same level as current trends. SF Rag would not look the same without Angel Flights. Otaheite would not have the same style appeal.

hmmmm… what about Villa Roma? They’d do alright in today’s trends.

120. DIO says:

Add me to the Iida’s list. And yeah, I remember that smell.

121. Sally says:

Yes, Iida’s would be worthy of return status. It had culture, spanned the price range of affordable to expensive, had items ranging from kitschy to classy… did I mention Cultural?

122. superman808 says:

…and I loved that strange smell…it was “sweet bamboo”…that’s what I remember.

123. superman808 says: