Do You Remember… School Lunches

Reprinted from July 15th, 2009 – by request from Volleymom2.  Thanks for the topic idea!

***************************************************************

Special thanks to Masako for this blog topic idea.

School lunches.  Remember those?  25¢ would get you a meal with a drink – milk.  White milk to be specific.

My memories of elementary school lunch was the opaque green rectangular plastic plates – with a compartment for the fork.

Dishes that come to mind are Spanish Rice, Fish Sticks, and Hamburger stew with cut green beans.

The lunches sometimes came with mashed potatoes, but usually it was white rice.  Every so often, they’d try to sneak in brown rice, but it was a no-sale.  Nobody ate the brown rice.

Remember the vegetable part?  The soggy cut green beans seemed to be popular at my school.  And the mushy spinach that nobody ate.  The coleslaw was watery as I remember it, but it was palatable with a sweet touch to it.  I think it had raisins in it.

The dessert dish favorite was the shortbread cookie.  That was the best.  Sometimes the dessert was sliced peaches or cut pieces of oranges – with the peel still on.  I remember that because the kolohe kids would fold over the orange peel and shoot the acid from the peel into your eyes.  Brutal.

And the milk was plain old white milk.  Not like the chocolate and strawberry stuff that kids get to choose from nowadays.

Then later, as we got to the higher elementary school grades, we got “cafeteria duty”.  Couldn’t wait until it was my turn to “work cafeteria”.  Got to leave the class about 1/2 before everyone else and eat lunch before them.  Then see all your friends pass through the food line as we were serving the food.

But we were always warned about how mean the “cafeteria ladies” were.  No fool around or you going get lickin’s.  Talk about intimidation.  But after lunch was over and everyone was back in class, before excusing us, the “mean cafeteria ladies” would treat us to a special stash of ice cream.  They weren’t so mean after all.

And we just couldn’t wait to get back and make everyone all envious when we told them we had ice cream.  Ah, those were the days…

Do you remember what foods you ate for your school lunches?  What were your favorites?  Do you remember “working cafeteria”?  And did you ever experience a “food riot”?

109 Responses to “Do You Remember… School Lunches”

Thanks Linda. I do what I can.

2. DIO says:

Linda: You have your picture on both walls, the one showing people that donated, and the other one, showing people that benefited from donations. 😆

3. DIO says:

Linda: You donated blood to yourself? 😆

M and Kage: Both of you will save many lives with your blood donations. The last time I gave blood I felt faint afterwards and wanted my blood back 😆 so I didn’t try it again.

ching ching purse…..with cho cho lips….. aiya…*faints*
    😆

Good Afternoon.

@M-Great job. Keep it up. I just do regular donations. Gave my 58th pint on Monday. Six more to go to make my 8 gallons. 🙂 They close the Dillingham location at 4:30pm on weekdays now. They kept telling me no pressure to leave, but I know they like go home too. Had to pump it fast to fill up the bag.. nah.

Good afternoon/evening, MLCers ❗ 😀

8. DIO says:

M/Masako: As if ching ching purse wasn’t bad enough, I’ve seen some that have a painted face on it. That made them into ching ching purse with cho cho lips. Ay yi yi yi…. 😆

9. DIO says:

Good afternoon everybody!

Adele – Someone Like You (cover by Alexa Goddard)

Christina Perri – Jar of Hearts (Cover by Sara Niemietz)

Lifehouse – You And Me (Cover by Boyce Avenue)

Goo Goo Dolls – Iris (Cover by Boyce Avenue)

Eminem ft Rihanna – Love the way you lie (Cover by Jake Coco)

Pink – f***in’ Perfect (Cover by Julia Sheer & Jake Coco)

Lady Antebellum – Need You Now (Cover by Jake Coco & Sara Niemietz)

Jason Aldean ft. Kelly Clarkson – Don’t you wanna stay (Cover by Jake Coco & Julia Sheer)

Seawalker:

I think Miami may get the death sentence if everything they say is true.

Cover moooooooosic time……the following was done using just an iPad for all of the instrumentation…

Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are (Cover by Jake Coco)

Just made my 92nd apheresis donation at the Blood Bank. Hoping to hit the century mark before the end of the year.

@Masako, that’s it!, I couldn’t think if the name. hahahaha

@M You talking about the Ching ching purse?

If going home from school was the best time of the day, lunch time has got to be a close second. 😆 I remember the bake macaroni in elementary school. The best part about it was the sightly burnt cheese. But they used these deep pans to make the macaroni and it was covered with a layer of cheese on the top. Each time the ice cream scoop was used, it was mostly macaroni. Except when they ran out and brought out another pan out from the oven. The first scoop was always covered with cheese. Score!

@ankles – Aw come on, you’re the AD and you didn’t know what was happenning in your own backyard? Dee knew exactly what was going on. I think all programs cheat. It’s just that USC and Miami got caught cheating. Let’s see how all this affects the Super-conference re-alignments.

Had Sloppy Joe school lunch the other day. Review…except for the very bad limp french fries, it was edible. Fresh salad of lettuce, carrots and tomatoes were crisp…tomatoes had no flavor. Canned peaches were firm and good. Teacher’s lunch cost $4.70 but will go up to $5.00 in September. I think students pay a couple dollars less and if can prove financial need, it is 40¢ or free. I usually bring home lunch and eat out on Fridays but decided to see what school lunch is like lately. I remember lunches being salty but they must have changed but more bland.

25. kathi says:

How do you all remember this stuff? I think I blocked out most memories of school lunch. I did like the baked spaghetti. I hated cole slaw as a kid but don’t remember it with raisins. I’m sure I would have hated that even worse. Carrot and raisin salad, though – that I like and make it whenever I have leftover shredded carrots from pasta salad or something like that. I am apparently also blocking out memories of college dorm food because all I remember is that two of the guys who worked the cafeteria in our dorm grew up to be on Saturday Night Live.

Seawalker:

What a hoot ❗ Miami’s former AD, Paul Dee, was on the Infraction committee during USC’s investigation and gave the stiffest penalties in the last 20 years. Now the shoes on the other foot…..what a hypocrite.

Whenever school lunches are brought up, all I can think of is corn bread, fish, and mulligan stew 😮 I use to join my kids during their school lunch period…they had better fuud than I did as a kid, at 8 times the cost.

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Wednesday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

Rod: All of the children in our family had the coin purse you mentioned with the long chain. It held our quarter for lunch in it ❗ Can we buy a hot lunch today for 25 cents ❓ Those were the days…… Thanks for the memories ❗

@Rodney, I remember the coin purses, I had the rubber one that you squeeze the ends and it would open length wise.

I do remember working as a cafeteria helper in high school. It was fun…and free lunch… but once was enough for me.

Seawalker:

The glass house is crashing down on those BEEG AQ schools…Miami, the latest. I wonder how many more will be crawling out of the woodwork ❓

31. DIO says:

Goooooood evening everybody

I remember in elementary school, I used to wear one of those animal head coin purses hung that around my neck with the beaded chain. Not so macho – but everyone else wore them too.

Remember those vinyl coin purses with the zipper that went from ear to ear of the animal? And the eyes that rolled around. LOL

@eddyo – Nope, I didn’t get food poisoning my senior year. Must’ve been one of those days that I opted for the 2 tacos.

34. ct says:

Good evening all …

School lunches … hmmmm … depends on the grade … somehow I remember I loved my lunch in elementary … Liholiho then Waialae … then not so much at Kaimuki Inter … then less at Kalani

Somehow I remember … I used to look forward to turkey corn scallop and baked spaghetti. Somehow the bun was always good … and the cookies were really good ..

Good afternoon/evening MLCers ❗ 😀

Just returned from my doctor’s appt. I fasted for 18 hours (me, not eat?!), for some blood work. Of course I made it up at Zippy’s a few minutes ago ❗ 😀 Nice and full now….. 😀

Seawalker: I’m sure Mrs. S married you for your brains ❗ 😆

37. eddyo says:

Rod,

Don’t know if you remember senior year, some kids got food poisoning. I was lucky being on an excursion with Mr. Bussen physics class, but heard about it the next day. Were you one of the unlucky ones? Funny, considering the number of meals served year in & out, not many instances of mean ole Mr. Salmonella (hehe)

@LK – Spelling and grammar used to be important to me. But ever since Grammar died and went to heaven, I don’t pay as much attention to Spelling anymore. 😆

Besides, in addition to my 6-pack and money, Mrs. S. married me for my brains…(not) LOL

Seawalker: You need spell check on your computer ❗ 😆

My wife’s nephew goes to one of those expensive private schools. Well, this year, his parents decided that he had to work at the school cafeteria for a free lunch everyday. So on the first day, “Adolf” was given duties near the the cash register. His friends couldn’t understand why he was standing there and not joining them. He hated it and felf humuliated. All I heard was that it was good for Adolf because it would build character. Next thing I know, Adolf was taking a tuperware to school to bring home his leftovers. You talk about humiliation. That kid’s going to be scarred for life. Not my side of the family! LOL

Yes, thank you @Masako and @volleymom2 for the topic idea. The 25 cent lunch brings a tear to this Pake’s eyes! 😀

During our lunches in elementary school and after we ate, the girls would compare against the boys to see who ate most of their food. Then the real competition began. One boy would reach into all the boys’ tray and eat all your remaining food. Same with the girls, a designated chow-hound. I think one time we had teriyaki chicken. It was the thigh pieces with the bone included. Nobody ate the bones, right? Wrong! An immigrant boy from Vietnam could eat the bones. Man, we gave the girls lickins’ on teriyaki chicken days. 🙂

Back in the real early school years, I remember needing to give our quarter to the teacher in the morning. She would mark it down and afterwards, have someone take the monies and paperwork to the administrative office. But one thing that stands out is the students that were on free lunch. They would still have to tell the teacher “free lunch” everyday. But heck, no shame when you that age. No sced if your classmates heard you. No need to ack like you drive a BMW like when you’re an adult and no have money. 🙂

44. PA says:

I happened to like the spinach and the best was the teriyaki but interesting enough it was good
    In 5 and 6 grades
    then it got more and more gristlely in 7 and 8th grades to the point I stopped eating it
    and who can forget the deal you couldn’t refuse at kalaheo the 25 cent shakedown
    when getting into the cafeteria “Eh brah like I borrow quarter” Yeah right borrow
    and then honest to gawd food fights we had about 5 during my stretch
    started with a small Incidence between friends
    then someone would yell “food fight” and whole cateferia would erupt
    trays, Sloppy joes, everthing
    when we moved on to Kailua I think I ate couple times
    remember being initially stoked that we had a choice between the standard lunch and the infamous
    “A” burger
    I recalled didn’t taste much a burger then someone told me what was in it and that
    Was the end of my public school eating experiences

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

Woops – my reading comprehension’s not very good today – thanks Volleymom2 for reviving the topic!

“Hot Lunch Jam,” from “Fame”

Great idea for a topic, Masako-san. We’re always interested in food 🙂

Shortbread cookies!!! Yum!!! Those were my favorites. I vaguely remember having Pillsbury-dough-kine pizza (I liked those, though). I remember most of our lunches containing tomato sauce, some kind of pasta and some kind of hamburger, but maybe that’s just because I like that combination. I was a picky eater back then.

Corn Bread…I hate it ❗ I had that almost everyday for lunch…also fish on Fridays…probably why I’m not a fan of it other than sashimi. Mulligan stew I didn’t mind…I still make that once in a while. Pig-in-a-blanket was another frequent entry on the lunch menu. I don’t really remember much of high school lunches other than it was $0.25, milk cost $0.05 and milk nickels were $0.10.

We had off campus privileges for lunch hour so our favorite place was King Richards…it was like $2 for lunch so it was a big difference from eating in the cafeteria.

I remember the first time we had school pizza. It was square pieces with some tomato sauce, a square of cheddar cheese, and sliced hot dogs. It was good being that it was something new on the menu.

Debbie
    August 15th, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

I do remember the taco’s Rodney. But like most of the
    others I remember it only being 25 cents. My favorite thing
    had to be the shortbread cookies. They were so hard but
    boy were they ono. I never brought my lunch but I guess
    I blocked out most of what was being served. I do remember
    the pineapple chunks we use to stab with a fork…..

Hi Debbie! And welcome to the blog. Thanks for your post too! Yup, the famous shortbread cookies with the little holes poked in the top. When I eat the School Kine shortbread cookies, it reminds me of school time. Pineapple chunks – LOL

Newman
    August 15th, 2011 at 1:07 am #

In elementary school my favorite was this thing called a turkey roll. It looked like a cinnabon but instead of cinnamon, it was filled with shredded turkey. And instead of icing, it was slathered in gravy. I’ve never seen it since but it was by far my favorite.

Welcome to the MLC blog, Newman! Thanks for posting. I don’t remember a turkey roll, but it sure sounds good!

Yeah, I remember the raisins in the coleslaw and prunes? I liked them, too. I didnt like the pizza, must’ve been the american cheese.

56. DIO says:

Mark’75: I dunno, but I think Kanak Attack originated there. 😆

@DIO: hmmm…was ‘Polynesian Paralysis’ coined at Kapalama Heights?

Good evening everyone ❗ 😀

59. DIO says:

I don’t remember much about lunches in intermediate school, other than the fact that there was more and it was better overall than the stuff we had in elementary.

High school, on the other hand, was a different story. When I got into Hogwarts, the cafeteria was brand spankin’ new. In the back, there was the line for pizza, hamburgers, and fries. There was also a stack of foam cups with saimin inside. I think it might have been Okahara brand, but I’m not sure. Just add hot water to the cup, and you got instant saimin.

Out front, there was the salad bar, with various fruits and veggies, as well as, various dressings. A lot of folks would go there to dress up their burgers with various things, as well as, use the Thousand Island dressing on the burger, and Ranch dressing on the fries.

Also out front were the lines for hot food. There was usually 2 or 3 different hot food dishes to choose from. Some of the memorable meals in high school were ham, turkey, and Hawaiian food. Talk about having a hard time to go to class after a meal like that….all you want to do is sleep. 😆

60. DIO says:

Cafteria food, oh where do I start…

I can remember things like Sloppy Joe’s, Pig-in-a-blanket, baked teriyaki chicken, hamburgers, fish sticks, fish burgers, shortbread cookies, peanut butter cookies. There was also some turkey dish, whose name I can’t recall (MLC moment 😉 but if you can imagine a turkey pot pie, without the pie shell, you’ve got the idea of the dish. Those were some of the things I liked in elementary school.

Some of the things I hated in elementary school, included the pizza. That had to be the worst thing on the menu. Every single bit of that thing was wrong: horrible sauce, crust like stale bread, cheese that looked and tasted more like melted wax, and a slice of a meat-like substance on top. To this day, I have no idea what that meat was, Portuguese Sausage? Pepperoni? Salami? Who knows, I just remember it being around 5 inches in diameter.

One of the other things I hated, was the french fries. It was bad enough that they used wide crinkle cut fries, instead of the kind of fries found in the fast food restaurants, they also never seemed to cook those things enough. By the time lunch was served, you got what was more like a boiled potato, than a french fry.

Chuck Mangione – Feels So Good (live)

Oooppsss…

Grease – You Are The One That I Want

Grease – You Are The One That I Want

Grease – You Are The One That I Want

A Taste of Honey – Boogie Oogie Oogie (live)

65. DIO says:

Good afternoon cafeteria diners!! 😀

Lunch mooooooosic time….

Don McLean – American Pie (live)

67. Debbie says:

I do remember the taco’s Rodney. But like most of the
    others I remember it only being 25 cents. My favorite thing
    had to be the shortbread cookies. They were so hard but
    boy were they ono. I never brought my lunch but I guess
    I blocked out most of what was being served. I do remember
    the pineapple chunks we use to stab with a fork…..

Seawalker, funny story, a born leader, got my respect brah.

Simply loved everything on the plate, even the pitted prunes! LOL

@Rodney: Talk about flashbacks! The opaque green rectangular plastic plates with the compartment for the fork is what they serve Hawaiian food on at Highway Inn in Waipahu. Was like, “Ho, I remember this!”

I must be in the minority, but I loved school lunches. All of it. Even the Spanish Rice…was it really Spanish? Who cares, was great too! High School was best, I’d eat two.

I was 6th grade homeroom President for the first semester. Not much to do being the president. But one time, at lunch, I was told to tell my classmates to stay in their seats. Why? Beats me. So I stood up in the middle of eating and yelled at the top of my lungs, “sit down you jack-a$$”. Our table went completely silent. Then my friends started to laugh, I mean, laugh really loud. Luckily, nobody threw food at me or beat me up. But till this day, my grade school friends would remind me ocassionally that I used the “J” word way back when we were only sixth graders. 🙂

We never had mean cafeteria ladies. They were always nice. The lunch room monitor lady on the other hand was not so nice.

Her sons were one grade older and one grade younger than me. She would always be yelling at them and their friends to behave.

There was another monitor lady when I was in first grade. I remember she used to bring her young daughter with her to work. The daughter would sit in that little wedge of space behind the door. I always thought it was weird. Like maybe the daughter was being punished. Eventually the daughter started to attend to our school.

In elementary I remember the 5 cent cinnamon toast and POG in the mornings. Then about 5th grade they started breakfasts.

I think that is when they started sneaking in the brown rice too.

High school lunches I do not remember much. I had to work right after school and that was lunch time. We had short days in high school. All of our classes were scrunched up in the morning. Afternoons were supposed to be for clubs, tutoring, counseling, etc. Most went home.

I remember grabbing sack lunches outside the cafe. It cost the same. You had choice of PBJ, Tuna, Turkey, Egg. I got sick once on the turkey, blamed the mayo. Bought only PBJ from then on.

Intermediate lunches were great. We had an awesome cook in the cafe.

There were bug catchers in the dining hall. I remember kids would throw food into the wires to hear them sizzle. Someone through a spaghetti noodle and it made big noise for a long time.

Good Afternoon.

Wow talking about school lunch when I stay eating lunch.

Reading everyone’s comments and what they remember, I remember those things too.
    My favorite dessert was the prunes.
    My favorite entree was the pizza(hamburger/American cheese)

On to intermediate school. Most days were just 1 lunch. But when it tasted good, it was a double lunch. And if it was exceptional, like turkey corn scallop, then it was a triple killing. We never ate breakfast in the mornings, so lunch was the only fuel for the body until dinner. Since I had a paper route all through intermediate school, we paid for our own lunches and didn’t have to ask our parents for money. Yes, those 25 cent lunches was a good finge benefit of going to school.

In another case, the teachers somehow had the idea that we couldn’t talk during lunch. How you figgah? Lunch time is a period to socialize and to develop your communication skills with your classmates. The knock on public school kids not having social skills is not a result from the students, but from you know who. We learn what we are taught. But those were the old days.

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Monday ❗ 😀

A beautiful picture perfect day in Hawaii with cool trade winds ❗ Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

My favorite cafeteria desserts: cherry tart and prunes that were made real sweet. Must ask my Auntie Edith who worked at Kailua High School for 30 years if she has the recipe, so ono ❗ 😀

Yeah, I remember those days of the 25 cent lunches. In elementary school, some of the teachers would keep us in the cafeteria until you finished all your vegetables first. After recess was over and you were still not done, it was on to 25 times “I will learn to eat my vegetables”. Most of us had a hard time with the cole slaw. In fact, seen more than my share of barfing brought on by the teachers. Times sure have changed.

Anyone here went to Kamehameha? A co-worker took us to the Kapalama campus a couple times where her husband works and we had lunch at their cafeteria…wow, not bad, food was ono, salad and fruit bar, nothing like I remember of school lunches.

I don’t think there was a lunch I didn’t eat. Lunch and recess at Ewa School were my favorite subjects. I ate everything, including the canned spinach.

We were fortunate to have our lunches in the cafeteria. Actually had two dinning rooms flanking the big kitchen. One side was for the younger grades and other for the older (5-8). Yes, cafeteria duty was fun. We also had office duty, running errands, taking messages to teachers, helping the clerical staff, etc.

The only thing I remember about school lunches was it was .25 and I didn’t care for it. In HS I went to Rainbows and got the dollar chiili plate for lunch.

Recall having midmorning snack at the cafeteria, was cinnamon-sugar toast and juice? I remember making them when on cafeteria duty.

87. Newman says:

@72view – At Kainalu Elem, we had to pick up our plates at the cafeteria and walk back to the classroom to eat too. Only the 6th graders got to eat in the cafe.
    At the end of every other wing of classrooms, the custodians were there we big slop cans that we dumped our stuff into. But I think we just gave them the plates and they’d stack them up and take it back to the kitchen.
    * My mother-in-law adds raisins to her coleslaw. LOL

I remember in high school, when the lunch was junk we’d buy 2 tacos for a quarter. Only thing, they gave you only 1 packet of taco sauce. Had to stretch it.

Yeah, our days – no such thing as breakfast. Just juice like RBB mentioned. IIRC, it was POG juice, served in cups – the same color as the opaque green plates. The schools must’ve bought the set. LOL

And breakfast at school? What’s that?? lol!! Too back in the day for me, gotta eat breakfast at home or starve.

Thanks Rod! I remember pig in a blanket, spaghetti, western pizza, shortbread cookie (my fave), hamburger stew, fishsticks, cottage cheese with pineapple ring (ewww…) and spinach. A teacher would go around and tell all the kids to eat their veggiesand they were all afraid of her. Lunches were 25 cents and milk 5 cents. No such thing as tacos or potato skins at my school. I’m just glad I didnt work in the slop area, remember that? yeah, the cafe ladies were mean, but nice to the guys. they would call me- girlie, girlie….

93. 72view says:

I remember at Hokulani Elem we didnt have a cafeteria so we had to go to the kitchen and bring the plates back to class. After lunch you scrapped your plate into the slop can and we would take turn bringing the slop, trash and empty plates back to the kitchen. Most favorite food, hmm…just about everything except carrots with raisins slaw…til this day cant figure out what was up with that combination.

I remember how we used to fold the top portion of the milk carton down to make a nice cube – then STOMP on it! It made a huge POP sound. Especially when done in the hall stairways.

Remember Sloppy Joes? Those were indeed sloppy! LOL

96. RBB says:

Everyone seems to remember the 25 cents lunch, but what about the 5 cent juice and graham crackers at mid-morning. Also always had ice cream after the end of cafeteria duty, like the work cause you got to miss class from the morning till like 1:30 and had to wait in the cafe till the bell rang at 2:00. Tuna burgers that was my favorite and when we had shortbread cookie. The worst was mixing milk with pineapple, that didn’t work too well on the stomach.

97. Sally says:

I remember the buttered cabbage, I liked that.

Remember the spit the food into the napkin and stuff the napkin in the milk carton trick? Teachers caught on fast and we had to open our milk cartons and show it to them before taking our trays back.

98. Sally says:

Why is there even soda? I darn near fainted the first time I saw a soda machine on campus right in the Admin Bldg garden court!!! WWD?

Back to lunch food: I don’t ever recall potato skins, tacos, or any “fancy” foods. Then again, I’m only recalling elem and inter school lunches cuz I never ate lunch in high school.

These days the “mean” cafeteria ladies are replaced with nice ladies and there are also many males working in the kitchens. White rice and bread is replaced with healthier brown rice and whole wheat bread. The amount of sugar and fat in the meals are limited.

@Sally – I agree its disgusting that the students are offered chocolate milk, I was told its because its the only way to get the kids to drink milk. So sad. At least chocolate milk is better than the kids drinking soda.

One of the school lunches that stand out was this stuff we used to call Alpo….it looked just like dog food….so I never ate it. My favorites was taco’s, spaghetti, potato skins and lasanga. I also liked the bread. I remember working in the cafe, I was such a good girl that I don’t remember the ladies ever being mean. There used to be food fights every so often in intermediate and high school….it was kind of scary.

good subject… I am craving the corn chowder that we got served in Elementary school. I even got my mother to go to the school and get the recipe. She passed it down to my nieces and sister. It was one of the favorites in our house. My intermediate school had the worst lunches. Usually one scoop rice and some kind of meat or stew, served in a little rectangular disposable paper bowl. High School was winnahs… especially Jr./Sr. years… most of my friends in our YMCA club was athletes. The football players controlled the lines at lunch time… so we got to go in anytime. The bad thing I picked up from hanging with these guys… we ate 2 plates of lunch, 3-4 milks, salad and usually desert, and if the lunch was good, one more plate. Cafeteria duty was the best, not hard work and the cafeteria ladies treated us well, and lunch was free. When lunch menu was not so good, we would cutout and go to Sand Island lunch wagon. It was little bit more expensive but the lady would always put extra for us. We would also go check out other schools, cuter girls always at other schools. I’d say lunch was almost always good… but you know when you young, anything taste good.

102. Sally says:

I think it’s pretty disgusting that flavored milks are allowed in the schools.

103. Sally says:

Nobody seems to recall this fruit dish except us Liholiho Elem kids so I think it was a Liholiho thing. Peaches and cheese. Canned peach half with grated American cheese on it. I still love it to this day! Also peaches with cottage cheese.

Yummmm!

104. Sally says:

Pig-in-a Blanket!

No, it’s not my bedtime. LOL It was a school lunch… that hot dog wrapped in a dough thing. I liked that.