Remembering 9/11

It was 10 years ago – September 11, 2001 – that terrorist changed the way we live in America.

I remember that gloomy day.  I was getting ready in the morning and turned on the radio as I always do and heard about the attack on the twin towers.  I immediately broke my morning routine to turn on the TV and couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

At first it was hard to believe – after all, I was watching this on TV.  It was like I was watching some show or something.  But it was a show that was on every station.  Radio stations weren’t playing music – just continuous news reports.  The local news was saying that there were a number of flights in the air on their way to Honolulu and military jets were on their way to escort them in.

Then it started to sink in.  This was no TV show.  This was real.

I continued to get ready and reported to work at The Advertiser.  At work, it was hard to get anything done.  The radio was on and everyone was in a somewhat stunned state talking about the events.  I could image the newsroom was buzzing with reporters trying to verify every news story that was coming in.

And the emotions that were going through me… I was mad.  I was sad.  And I was scared.

Then reports came in that all flights have been grounded until further notice.  My in-laws were in Vegas and schedule to return the following day.  But their stay had been extended.  I remember my father-in-law telling me that The California hotel was booked when he tried to make reservations so they were staying at Sam’s Town.  However, after the events unfolded, my father-in-law called The Cal and luckily they were able to accommodate them until flights resumed once again.

But during the next few days after 9/11, I notice the eerie quiet of no airplanes in the sky.  I was used to waking up to the sounds of the early bird flights heading to the neighbor islands.  But the skies were silent.

Air travel was never the same since then.

Remember when we used to be able to go to the gates and stay with the folks who were about to leave?  Not anymore.  Now it’s – drop off at the curb, a quick hug, and get moving.

Yes, 9/11 has changed the way we live.

And let us not forget those Americans who lost their lives.  Innocent people just trying to earn a living.  And the rescuers who gave their lives trying to protect ours.

What do you remember about that solemn day 10 years ago?

55 Responses to “Remembering 9/11”

Keoni, it never fails ❗ 😆

2. Keoni says:

@LK As I was walking home this evening it began to rain and I thought, “I wonder if it’s raining at Linda’s house?” Now my question is answered! 🙂
    Isn’t that the way it always goes? Wash your car and it rains soon, etc.! 😆

DIO, good evening! So happy to be home ❗ 😀 After I set the automatic sprinklers on twice to water our dry lawn it is now raining!!!

@Mark’75, beautiful, thanks for sharing ❗ I don’t think it’s off topic ❗ On 9/11 what happened was a national tragedy and we all needed to pull together to lift up each other’s spirits and move on. In Japan on 3/11, it was a different, natural disaster, nevertheless, they needed encouragement to rebuild their lives and their spirits. Seeing them sing beautiful songs despite all they’ve been through touches our hearts. We pray for Japan, America and everyone. May we know peace in our lives.

5. DIO says:

Good evening M$. Incredulou$. 😉

@DIO, good evening ❗ Is there a better word for incredulou$ ❗ 😀 This trip was it ❗ 😀 God blessed me many times over ❗ I am truly blessed ❗ 😀

@KAN, thanks for the birthday wishes! This was a great birthday! I’m not letting the 9/11 incident put a damper on my special day!

Keoni, I already told my daughter in Omaha I would pay her rent on her apt. through 2011 so there it went!

Good get, Mark’75. Love the way they combine One Love w/Sukiyaki…I look up when I walk, so my tears won’t fall.

Off topic, but I wanted to share this. It’s touching to note that all the performers are from the affected areas of Japan.

11. DIO says:

Good evening everybody, and welcome back Ms. Viva La$ Vega$!! 😀

Happy belated birthday Linda! Congrats on your megabucks!

It’s hard to have a birthday at this time of year – my stepdaughter turned 21 on 9/11/01. But, as Sweetie says, it was her birthday before the terrorists did what they did, so screw ’em-we’re gonna celebrate.

13. Keoni says:

I was woken up that day by a call from a friend who told me what had happened. So sad that!
    But lets just say I don’t believe the government’s explanation of what happened. Too many unanswered questions.

14. Keoni says:

So Linda, wen da lu’au you going give wid all da kala you won? 😆

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Home sweet home! It is nice to be back home! It was raining in Vegas with lightening storms. We had a power outage for 4 hours at the Cal on Monday evening (no A/C and hot) ❗

It must not have rained in Hawaii while we were away. I noticed our grass and plants are so dry! I’m watering now to perk up all the plants!

ankles: I don’t eat Oxtail soup but lots of people do at the Cal! It’s still available there!

America and traveling has never been the same since 9/11/2001. We watched CNN news in Vegas but didn’t hear of any further attacks on 9/11/2011, on the 10 year anniversary of that fateful day. Thank goodness! We brought extra clothes just in case we were stuck in Vegas longer than expected. Fortunately, travel last week and this week was safe and nothing happened. I would rather go through the discomfort of extra screening than go through another attack on us in the future. I recall lots of airline employees laid off due to people stopping their airline travel. We were extra busy in the unemployment office for many years after 9/11!

A decade ago on 9/11/2001, I worked for the Dept of Labor as well as for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin as a lead customer service person on nights, weekends and holidays. On 9/11 hubby awakened me before 5AM to make me watch the TV news. We couldn’t believe what was happening here in America. When I reported to work at the Star, they had been up since 3AM putting together a special edition to report this incredible story. We cried that day and for weeks later. How could this happen in America? On 9/13/2001, I was too sad to celebrate my birthday that year. We said a lot of prayers that month and America came together as a nation. In times of trouble, this is a great country. We all stand together and support each other. It should be this way EVERY day!

Good afternoon MLCers ❗ We are back from Vegas ❗ 😀
    Another incredulou$ trip ❗ I won $$$$$$$ more than last time ❗ 😀 We won megabucks jackpots 3 times ❗ My girlfriend Yvonne, shared prime rib dinner at the Cal with us. I didn’t want to go anywhere else for my birthday on 9/13. She had a server put a candle in my cherry jubilee and the servers all sang happy birthday to me ❗ When I put my players card in to play all day long the message was “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!” What an enjoyable birthday this was ❗ 😀 😀 😀

Watching the Tsumani hit the Japan was unforgettable too. Seeing the buldings and homes just being swept away, cars trying to out run the tsumani getting swept away and the speed of the tsumani. Unimaginable destruction.

How is the oxtail soup at the California Hotel ❓ Seems they ran out after the 2007 UNLV game 😆

22. chicorex says:

I woke up at 5:30am and turned on the computer. My home page showed that the two towers had collapsed. I turned on the TV to CNN and watched it all day.
    My brother was in WDW and they were told that it was closing. He was stuck in Florida till the next week. The hotel rooms were comped but he did have to pay for the parks admission.

I saw the 9/11 Memorial for the 1st time and thought to myself…”is that it” ❓ I was expecting a little more than that as a tribute…

The New Superconferences: How the NCAA Power Conferences Will Look in 2013 …. now wouldn’t it be something if UH is picked up by the PAC-12….wait a minute….I took the wrong meds 😆

25. DIO says:

Good morning everybody! 😀

Hello MLCers!
    Since that day where I work security has stepped up. Security Guards at all the enterances of all our facilities.
    Need to swipe our ID card to enter all facilities.
    All venders are checked.
    Security cameras all over the outside of our facilities.

Wow, dihudfan, your son was smart to call when he did. Thank goodness.

I, too, was getting ready for work when our downstairs neighbor called. She had family in New York and for some reason thought we did too. So she yelled at us to turn on the tv – she was otherwise pretty much incoherent.

At first, I couldn’t grasp what was going on. Sweetie and I watched the second tower fall and I had to ask him if we were watching live footage. He understood fairly quickly what was happening.

I went to work that day because staying at home would have been unbearable. The bosses gave us the option to go home, but again, I would have just listened to the news all day. Another friend in Seattle who worked in the tallest building in town was sent home 15 minutes after showing up at work because the building was deemed a security threat – no one knew what other landmark buildings had been targeted.

I did not personally know anyone who had died or know personally anyone who had lost someone in the attacks, but that fog of disbelief and grief lingered for months afterward.

28. NaPueo says:

It was my day off. The manager of the store I was working at called to tell me that Ala Moana Shopping Center was closed. Spent most of the day watching the news. Couldn’t believe that they could collapse like that.

29. Sally says:

I remember a man in my bldg at work, he was all complaining about “there goes my trip” and how he was gonna be so inconvenienced at the airport.

Yes, 9-11 brought out the best in our nation… and the worst in some others.

I remember the silence of the skies in the days after. The room we would eat lunch had a great view of Diamond Head. I used to take it for granted watching the planes taking off. It was weird.

I was sleeping, my alarm just rang, then the phone rang. It was a friend calling to tell be about what was happening. Turned on the TV and could not believe what I was watching.

At that time I lived on Red Hill. They closed Tripler, Hickam, Pearl Harbor. Traffic was truly gridlocked. I could not get on Moanalua. Salt Lake was a jammed packed. It took me forever to get to Nimitz.

@M: I agree. Felt the same way in Nagasaki.

@Rod, Snow and Sally… thanks… that was close, but the good thing was he called before we got up and saw the news. If he hadn’t called, we would have gotten up later in the morning and see the news and try to contact him, which was almost impossible by that time. I heard the phone systems and NY communications were all screwed up.

Did a lot of work in Dallas. My first time out there, I wanted to check out the book depository where JFK got shot. You can actually look out the window and see the vantage point Lee Harvey Oswald had. It’s just an erie feeling to be at the footsteps of history. Can you imagine how people working in the WTC must have felt? One day you’re working in you office and the next day (and assuming you got out in time), you don’t have an entire office building anymore. I’ll add today’s first smiley. 🙂

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial was very difficult to walk through the exibits.

A few years ago I visited Nagasaki and Hiroshima and as I walked thru the exhibits which are pretty vivid, I had the same emotions that I experienced with 9/11. This time instead of being angry at some crazy people from another country, I was mad at my own country. I pray that someday we could just all get along.

I cannot recall exactly how I heard about the tragedy but I remember how I felt. It was almost surreal, my first thought was that someone had “hacked” into the airwaves and it was all a sick joke. When reality hit I was sad, angry and depressed.
    I felt for the people who died, thier families, the injured and for all the service people who risked thier lives to assist.
    I had the priveledge of visiting the World Trade center and having dinner at Windows of the World where a childhood aquaintance of mine, Heather Ho died that day. I was in awe of the building, its was incredible. I want to make a trip to Gound Zero one day to pay my respects to all who lost their lives there. The New york skyline will never be the same again. Neither will my heart, its hard to explain but a part of it was broken when I realized just how much hate thier is in the world, that there are people who hate the US so much that they would do something like that.

jaydee:

I had my class reunion in Vegas about a month after 9/11. There were vehicular checkpoints just before heading into the mountainous area just before Hoover Dam as I was on my way there. On my way back, the checkpoint was just after the drop from Boulder City near the lake. As I was driving across the dam at around 11pm, it was so surreal as it was just ME – no buses, 18 wheelers (they weren’t allowed on the dam) – as usually there is a lot of traffic on top of the dam in either direction.
    Now they have the bridge to bypass driving on the dam.

One of our former co-worker was at work in the North tower when it was hit and escaped safely. My SM’s best friend lived in Manhattan, near the WTC and experienced the towers hit and collapse.

I’ll bet there are many stories where a few minutes difference or a last minute decision saved their lives.

I had just woken up to get ready for work and turned the TV on…..they were showing the North tower with flames and smoke. I thought that there was an air accident and a plane had hit the tower….reminiscent of when a B-25 hit the Empire State building in 1945. A few minutes later I see an explosion on the South tower..I could see a big fireball of flames shooting out of the building..the announcer was saying that a commercial airline had just hit the South tower. After finally comprehending what had happen, there was another report of a plane crash, this time it had hit the Pentagon.

This is one of the most heart breaking “self video” of the twin tower, the rescue vehicles, the action on the ground and finally the collapse and the aftermath:

Like @Mark said, if you’ve ever been to the WTC, you just can’t imagine how gigantic the towers are. That was my first stop in N.Y. in 1991 and it was amazing to see how busy the lobby of the building was. My wife remembers Window of the World restaurant and says the same thing. Unreal for it to collapse.

Wow, has it been a decade since nine-eleven?

Scary when the telephone rings at four in the morning. My brother living in S.F. calls and says, “Did you hear, the WTC fell down?” Still half asleep, I thought he meant the building toppled over. Then I get a full explanation from him before I turn on the TV. Only then did I comprehend the magnitude of what just happened.

But I still had to go into the office that day. Intensely memorable!

43. kathi says:

This is what I wrote in my old blog in 2003, with a few edits and additions, in response to that question:

My husband and I had been in Honolulu for just a day. Due to the six-hour time difference between Honolulu and New York, by the time we woke up and turned on the news, the horrible events were quite far along and it was evident it was no accident. It took us way longer than we expected, or maybe it just seemed that way, to get in touch with his family and our friends in Chicago to learn that nothing had happened there.

A few fragments still stick in my mind, for whatever reason.

…My brother, an architect, sketching some diagrams on a napkin at breakfast, explaining why the Sears Tower in Chicago would not have collapsed in the same way the WTC did.

…Seeing machine guns on the Coast Guard launches and cutters in the Harbor. I didn’t remember ever seeing that before, not even during Vietnam nor the Gulf War.

…Hearing fighter jets as they escorted the last couple of planes in to land… and then hearing NO planes for a long time after. For someone like me who has lived near an international airport for much of her life (my parents live about as far from HNL in the same house I grew up in as I now live from ORD – about 10 minutes), that is a weird silence indeed.

…The day we got back to Chicago, there was a letter waiting for my husband… one he had been waiting on for over six years… the one that said he would be in the next class at the Chicago Fire Department Academy starting on October 16, 2001. I don’t think I have ever gotten the images out of my head of the NY firefighters going up the stairs of the WTC while everyone else was coming down.

I was driving my kids to school and just picked up my son’s friend when the news story about the World Trade Center came over the radio. Apparently, he watched the news on TV and told us about it. After dropping them off, I rushed home and caught up with the news on TV.

As the towers fell, I remembered the immense size of the structures, since I once stood on the sidewalk and looked up, almost falling backwards. The sight was horrifying.

45. jaydee says:

The day was surreal. ‘Vegas was a ghostown for months after 9/11, I remember. I have a lot of friends and family there and they were saying how eerie it was during that time.

I was getting ready for work at 6am and I always turn on the TV to listen to the news. I heard and then saw what was going on. At the time only the first tower was hit and they didn’t know if it was an accident at that point. Then the second tower was hit and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

I don’t have clear memories of that day except for watching the news in disbelief. The visual of the twin towers collapsing and the destruction is hard to forget when it was replayed for so many times. The aftermath of 9/11 is staggering. We still paying the price in terms of lives lost and damaged from the subsequent wars and costs have undermined our unstable economy. The suffering continues. There was an interesting documentary by Ken Watanabe on NHK yesterday relating the similarities between the Japanese Americans after the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the Muslim Americans after 9/11. His interview w/former Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta, who was interned during WWII, was especially poignant as he reminded us to be vigilant and rational in times of emotional nationalism.

48. Sally says:

@dihudfan: I’m so glad your son is fine!

There were other stories that surfaced like this. My friend in Vegas, his daughter was supposed to be at the WTC that morning but was delayed in leaving home. Thank you for malfunctioning alarm clocks!

49. Sally says:

There were so many people with ties to this tragedy. My first ph call at work was a patient who canceled because she couldn’t find her husband, who had traveled for work at the Pentagon. (turns out he was fine, what a blessing)

A few days later another patient canceled, stuck in New York, can’t get a flight out, can’t get money, looking for a hotel room.

Many stories like this filled the next several days …into weeks.

50. Sally says:

I woke up that morning and, by habit, turned on the TV and started my routine. I saw all the commotion and thought “Is this the anniversary of the Oklahoma Murrah Bldg bombing?”.

I sat with my coffee and thought, that’s not the OK bldg. *totally confused and disoriented at this point*

So I kept watching and saw live, as second plane hit the 2nd tower. WT* is going on here?!

I called my friend, 72view, to wake him up and said “turn on your TV quick!” and we both watched for awhile in disbelief and horror.

Like you, Rod, and everyone else I was mad, sad and scared. “No, this doesn’t happen here”.

51. snow says:

@dihudfan – holy cow! thank goodness your son wasn’t there that day!

52. snow says:

it’s, sadly, a very clear memory… sort of like when princess diana died. i was in stunned disbelief!

i woke up go get ready for work and turned on the tv. it looked like snow (no pun intended!) and i was wondering why they were showing it on tv. but, then, a snow storm in the middle of september would be a weird thing. i kept watching and the newscasters didn’t sound normal… i still couldn’t figure out what i was looking at. then they showed the earlier footage of the plane going into the second tower and it later falling… WHAT? i still couldn’t quite fathom what was going on… was this for real? noooooooo, i didn’t want to believe it!!

i was glued to the tv and had to force myself to go to work, where i couldn’t get anything done. i had to know what was going on! it was a crazy, crazy sad day that is forever engrained in my soul.

we will never forget those who lost their lives and their loved ones who have had to endure so much. we will never forget those who fight for our country and keep us safe.

One of those flashbulb memories … just woke up and turned on the tv.. thought I was seeing a movie playing over and over and couldnt believe my eyes and then tears started to roll down my cheeks. My head also filled with pictures of the twin towers cuz two months before that happened, I had a stop over in NY and remember flying over those buildings and even took pictures.

Wow, I’m glad that your son is safe. That’s a little too close.

I remember that day very well… got a phone call early in the morning, it was my son, who had just moved to New York. He called to let us know he was ok. My wife and I was still half asleep… he ask us to turn on the tv and watch what was happening. Wow, couldn’t believe what we were watching, we just watched in shock, couldn’t believe what was happening… The funny thing was my son had an interview for a job in the Twin Towers, just the day before. He also had just been to the Windows on the World for his birthday a couple of weeks before. This bad incident made the nation much more patriotic. God Bless America!!!