Aloha Dick Clark

***********************************

Bell-bottoms came and went and came back again.

But Dick Clark? He never left. With his toothpaste-ad smile and a microphone always ready, Clark was a fixture in our pop culture for decades.

Maybe you hear his name and think New Year’s Eve stalwart, or American Bandstand host, or “the oldest living teenager,” a nickname he picked up years ago, but Clark was much more than any of those single images.

With teen dance shows, prime-time programming, specials, game shows, made-for-TV movies and even feature films and restaurants, the ambitious Clark made Dick Clark Productions into a thriving business that touched the worlds of music, television and film.

And from Bandstand in the 1950s to his three decades of New Year’s Rockin’ Eves, Clark was particularly adept in the melding of music and TV, long before MTV and American Idol.

Music is the soundtrack of your life,” he was quoted as saying, and yet, he wasn’t ever the one shimmying on the dance floor.

And his favorite music? “Disco,” he said in more than one interview.

Clark was all about the smooth running of the production, not so much the joy of music. “I don’t make culture,” he once said. “I sell it.”

***********************************

Rest in Peace, Dick Clark.

What are you memories of Dick Clark?  I bet a lot of the MLCers watched American Bandstand and probably got up and danced to the music.  Share your memories of Dick Clark and American Bandstand.  Or even the New York New Year’s Eve Parties.  Maybe you were fortunate enough to be there in person to watch the ball drop at the stroke of midnight.  Don’t we all wish we could be teenagers for life?

***********************************

Don’t forget – THIS SATURDAY @ Dot’s in Wahiawa: LS 34

***********************************

And tickets for the 70’s Nightclub Reunion X – Encore, are now on sale!  Call Candy to get your tickets before they sell out!

Thanks to Rob Kimura of Greenwood, here’s the inside scoops about Anita Hall who’ll be featured with Nueva Vida:

Whether singing with a symphony orchestra, headlining an international convention abroad or rocking a major charity event, audiences attest to the great popularity and talent of Indianapolis-based songstress Anita Hall

Before moving to Indianapolis, Hall called Hawaii home for over 20 years and was one of the most sought-after performers on the Island scene. Seamlessly changing gears from country to jazz, rock to Broadway, Anita has proven herself to be a well-rounded entertainer who sings each song as if it were written for her alone.

As the only child of parents both born with Cerebral Palsy, Anita learned the meaning of the word “Handi-capable” and her sense of compassion made her future involvement with many non-profits a natural fit.

Anita played the role of Angela in Manoa Valley Theater’s Honky Tonk Angels and Miss Mona in Diamond Head Theater’s Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. She also hosted KITV’s award winning “ Ohana Road ” Series ( Hawaii ’s Premier Automotive TV magazine) for 4 years.  Hall also is a recording artist, who has written and recorded with Grammy Award-winning producer Narada Michael Walden.  In 2009 Anita’s debut CD Send Love received two Na Hoku Hanohano nominations and made it to the first Grammy ballot.

Anita’s most recent performances with Maestro Catingub were with the Harford Symphony Orchestra, the St. Louis and Omaha Pops Orchestras.

Anita has been a member of  the Nueva Vida band for over a decade and couldn’t be more excited to be reunited for the 70’s Night Club Reunion.

Anita’s CD Send Love is now available on iTunes.

For more information about Anita Hall, please visit her websitewww.Anitahall.com

38 Responses to “Aloha Dick Clark”

@ankleBYTERS: Wow, she must have had a blast catching up with friends and family for the past 30 something years…and making new memories! Nice to hear!

Snow:

“..i can hear the theme song in my head! when i was little and watching AB, i thought those dance moves were pretty risque…” ……were you stalking me back then ❓ Oh, wrong AB… 😆

Mark’75:

SM had a great time…except for the 15 hour plane ride over there and getting food poisoning for a couple of days……most of her relatives, she hasn’t seen in like 30+ years….she took like over 600 photos ❗

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Sunday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

ankles: MLC showing this week ❗ 😆

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Saturday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

yikes!

7. KHS68 says:

@Mark’75: Of course you not like those guys, you wen Kaimuki. If you was ladat, the Kaimuki titas would bus’ your alas. hehehe 🙂

8. KHS68 says:

@Mark’75: Sounds like ching-ching profiling, right? 🙂

KHS68: Sad. But there are some just like that. They not like…..me! 🙂
    Wow, this year makes 10 years since I retired from the department, but still doing it at another agency.

10. KHS68 says:

@Mark’75: You should check out the “WassupWidDat” (brother lance) blog the current one about serving & protecting…

@ankleBYTERS: Too funny! Hope your SM had a wonderful trip!

12. snow says:

as soon as i think “american bandstand,” i can hear the theme song in my head! when i was little and watching AB, i thought those dance moves were pretty risque! needless to say, i couldn’t stop watching! 😉 and the “live” entertainment was always the highlight of the show… i couldn’t wait to see my favorites perform! dick clark was one of a kind and he certainly made his imprint on american pop culture. he will be missed… 😥

SandyT
    April 20th, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Mahalo for sharing our LS 34 poster Rodney! Hope you, Paula and your MLC fans will be joining us at Dot’s in Wahiawa this coming Saturday night! Be sure to wear your dancing shoes! Music from CCR, Santana, Spirit, Dobbie Bros, and more. We’re gonna have a Rockin’ & Rollin’ time! Aloha! ~Sandy~

You’re welcome, Sandy. We’re going to do our best to be there on Saturday night.

@SROT – Welcome to the MLC blog and thank you for sharing you memories of Dick Clark and American Bandstand.

“he bought music into our living rooms and made an impact in our teenage years!” – Well put!

15. SandyT says:

Hulimakaflip……oh, wrong day, wrong blog topic again….

17. SROT says:

As teenagers, my sister and I used to watch American Band Stand every Saturday. Not only did we practice copying the dance move, but we paid attention to the fashions (clothing, hair, accessories) and knew who the couples that were going steady or at least appeared to be going steady. We’ll deeply miss Dick Clark, but we will never forget him and his how he brought music into our living rooms and made an impact in our teenage years! Yes, there will never be another! This coming New Years Eve, I will remember him and will lift my glass in his honor! Aloha and R.I.P. Mr. Clark!

18. Mike in Waipio says:

Dick Clark — unique. There’ll never be another. I was surprised and pleased to hear that he had enjoyed disco music. I, too, have enjoyed disco music to this day; and I’ve had to endure decades of comments from disco-haters, who continually put down that great dance music. But while disco is near the top of my list, it is topped by the awesome music of the 50s and 60s, the music that Dick Clark showcased on TV. I was impressed by his awareness of what America wanted through the years by introducing newer artists (like Madonna, etc.). Dick Clark will not be forgotten.

19. KHS68 says:

Yep. Life is Just A One Night Stand…

Rock ‘n Roll Heaven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEemZ6-LZc&feature=related

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Aloha Friday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

Aloha Friday MLCers!

Hi Fishhead!

@Mark’75 LOL!!!

Mark’75… icon… agreed
    always looked forward to watching his shows… music, dancing, babes and fashion… may he rest in peace!

I agree, Dick Clark was an icon.
    Like Lawrence Welk had Geritol as a sponsor, American Bandstand had Clearasil!

25. fishhead says:

hi! Sally

But Dick Clark was daBoss!

Not dreaming Rod.

Where The Action Is

@Sally – Whoa, Where The Action Is. I think I remember that tune.
    “Let’s all go where the action is,
    Let’s all go where the action is,
    Let’s all go where the action is,
    Come on baby, take me where the action is”.

…or was I just dreaming it?

Good afternoon MLCers ❗ Happy Thursday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

Dick Clark, rest in peace ❗ You were a legend ❗

Many wannabes like Shindig and Where The Action is, but American Bandstand was the one to ROKK our teenage world!

Rest in Peace, Dick Clark. I totally see him partying with all the classics up in heaven. One big, amazing pahtay!

31. KHS68 says:

Okay here’s another memory. But you have to imagine being 8 years old and growing up in McCully in the 50’s. When I saw American Bandstand for the first time, I asked my cousin, “where is this?” She said, “Mainland, someplace.” Then I said, “Mainland? How come there’s hawaiians dancing then?” She looked at me like I was from outer space. “What? You neva seen negroes before?” My only t.v. experience seeing negroes was from watching Tarzan and Jungle Jim and they were usually half naked carrying spears. This was the first time I saw them dressed up and dancing. Yep, my politically incorrectness goes waaay back. 🙂

32. KHS68 says:

I first watched Dick Clark’s American Bandstand when I was around 8 years old. I can’t remember for sure, but I think it was on every afternoon at 4pm because I used to rush home from Japanese school to watch with my teenage cousin. I used to love to see the girls with teased hair and flary skirts. And all the guys wore suits — no aloha shirts. My cousin would make me dance with her so she could practice the “bop”. Of course, at 8 years old, I had two left feet and was pretty much useless when it came to dancing.

The man is a legend…..

Dick Clark will surely be missed… always watched American Bandstand, liked to see the new songs as well as the new groups on his show. Still watching his New Years Eve show and all those game shows he produced. What an icon..

Guud Morning MLCers!

Hmmm Dick Clark, watched a little of American Bandstand when they were in Philly on our tiny black & white tv, a smooth talker, conservative looking host to top 40 dance music to bunch of teenagers, not sure what that dance was called but couples kinda together moving in and out to the beat. I dunno American Bandstand seemed way out there and hard to relate from my perspective. But give him credit for being somewhat relevant to mainstream pop culture for all these years, a savvy businessman and survivor for sure. As we get on with the years the icons of our generation are fading away. Sorry to see him go.

37. Sherb says:

Whew! Rough week for boomers… first Dick Clark then Jonathan Frid leave us behind. Much respect and fondness for Mr. Clark bravely continuing to host the New Years Eve shows even after his stroke. I hope they are rocking in heaven!

38. losthawaiian says:

RIP to Dick Clark. I watched many a saturday, after cartoons, of course! I used to think it was pretty funny watching this square -looking guy host a rock and roll show.