Disco is Dying…

First it was The Queen of Disco – Donna Summer who on Thursday passed away.

Then yesterday, it was Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees.

Volleymom2 suggested – I should have a disco post to honor Donna Summer as well as Robin Gibb and the Bee Gees.

But first, a couple of my favorite Donna Summer songs:

The first Bee Gees song I heard was one of my brother’s 45 rpms:

Think Bee Gees – think Disco:

Disco – loved it or hated it – it was a part of us.  From the Discotheques to the movies to the clothing to the music – “Disco” was smack-dab right in our face.  The timing was perfect for most of us MLCers.   We were young, trying to find our identity, asking who we were in life and where we were going.  With so many unanswered questions and lack of direction – we just went with the flow.  And the flow was Disco.

Did you get caught up in the Disco scene?  If so, did you get really into it – like with the dance troupes or the synchronized dancing?  Or did you just hang out at the discos to consume adult beverages?  And check out da crowds?  What’s some of the Disco clothes you wore?  What Discos did you hang out at?  What are some of your favorite Donna Summer and Bee Gees hits?

——————————————————————————————————————————–

And speaking of nightclubs – just 2 weeks away:

55 Responses to “Disco is Dying…”

@M: Congratulations on your son having good grades ❗ 😀

@Ynaku: sounds like a fun party ❗ Hope I get to meet you at the next one ❗ 😀

MLCers: Nice song postings ❗ Too bad my old computer monitor broke and this old one has no sound so can’t listen to any songs. Maybe I’ll buy a brand new computer one day soon so I can have a listen to all of these oldies but goodies songs. So sad we are losint so many talented young singers ❗ 🙁

2. Debbianne says:

No! Disco will never die! It’s alive and well in my mind, heart and iPod, dammit.

Good fun, good food and good company last night at the pah-tay! Had a great time!

Another good one:

Bee Gees – To Love Somebody

Yanaku, have a dolphin for me…..LOL…..supa fairy, still waiting here….

7. Ynaku says:

Thanks Melissa 🙂 miss you in person

Kage…sorry to miss you. At least we had one meet. Sorry tonight was only free might. Wednesday I get one with my gang and I leave Thursday.

8. Mike in Waipio says:

Several mentioned Donna Summer’s “Last Dance”. Do you remember the movie where Donna Summer played a woman who sneaks “Last Dance” into a stack of the DJ’s records at a popular disco. Then when he played it, she got up and sang to it.

“Thank God, It’s Friday”. A “B” movie but some interesting disco music.

I have a prior commitment after work already.

@Ynaku- I know I keep missing your parties. Its not that I no like seeing you…. 😉

Have fun.

Ynaku party is ON for tonight (5/22) at Tsukiji’s lounge – 6:00 start time.

Fellow blogger – Melissa – hooked us up for tonight – even though she won’t be able to make it (She’s partying in S.F.).

Mahalo Melissa!

@cts (not to be confused with @ct) – Welcome to the Midlife Crisis Hawaii blog. Yup, not everyone got into disco. And most of those who hated it – HATED it! And those who loved it – LOVED it.
    Kinda like cilantro. LOL

pah-tay!
    Not sure if Masako and I can make it yet….

13. cts says:

Disco sucked but RIP Donna and Robin. Moanalua 1975

Mark’75 – Run To Me took me back to intermediate school. Thanks.

A couple of good ones, ct!

16. ct says:

So much energy … just a great feelin’

Donna Summer – This Time I Know It’s for Real

17. ct says:

Actually … my favorites were already listed … as I said Last Dance and On the Radio. But here’s another one

Donna Summer – Heaven Knows

18. ct says:

Remember those days when wuz guarans that you could get a dance with that ol’ reliable song … that everyone loved to dance to … Last Dance …

19. ct says:

Sorry … don’t know what got into me … that’s Robin Gibbs … RIP

20. ct says:

Howzit everyone … thanks everyone for the music … sure brings back some great memories … disco although not for everyone … just had this energy that just brought people together … Donna & Barry … rest in peace …

Enough is Enough – Donna Summer & Tina Arena

great music!!! been enjoying all the postings… may they both rest in peace!!! really nice memories…

one of my favorites:
    State of Independence- http://youtu.be/8NEE-OHGThw

Hmm, I’m a little late on this topic, all my favorite Donna Summer songs have been posted. Still get this one 😯

24. KHS68 says:

Okay showing my age (way past MLC) — when I was younger, I loved doing the electric slide to the Bee Gee’s Night Fever. Now I forget most of the steps and if I had to do it, it would look more like a cross between the “chicken dance” and the continental. LOL

25. KHS68 says:

@ankleByters: I remember going to downtown Woolworth’s record department and they were playing Massachusetts on the loud speakers. It was the first time I heard that song and I thought the harmony was so amazing.

Uhoh, Kage, I think that means you’re officially MLC! 😛

(I ste older dan you.)

Approved. 😉

Oops, wrong email address, I stay in moderation.

I was in 6 and 7th grades in the height of disco. Too uncoordinated and nerdy for dancing. 🙂

30. Mike in Waipio says:

As I posted when the topic was Dick Clark’s passing, I was surprised and pleased to hear that disco was one of his favorites; as it was mine. My gang frequented the Tiki, Dukes. Hula Hut, Hawaiian Hut, Da Sting, and other clubs where local bands played. There were also “true” discos (where records were played). One was Starship Disco on Sheridan St (nearer to King St than to Kapiolani). It was a haven for “touch” dancers (people dancing to disco using ballroom dancing moves to various hustle steps). All the best danced there. It was elegant. I just watched.

My all time favorite song by the BG….

All four Gibb’s brothers, Barry (the last surviving brother), Maurice, Robin and Andy….

@Mike in Waipio – This one?

Ain’t Nothing Gonna Keep Me from You

He was getting D’s for his math quizzes and he nails an A for his finals in math!

My son’s spring semester grades just got posted on-line from HPU, 4.0 GPA! he got a 4.0 GPA for the fall too ❗ That boy is smart ❗
    Sorry bout hacking this post for this annoucement but I couldn’t help it…. 🙂

36. Mike in Waipio says:

Too many Donna Summer songs to pick one. Same with the Brothers Gibb; but I liked “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart” (which was already mentioned). I want to mention another song written by Barry Gibb and recorded by Teri DeSario: “Ain’t Nothing Gonna Keep Me from You” (or something like that). It was a great disco song. @Rod: A little help with the link? Thanks.

Yes, even though some folks didn’t really get into the Disco scene – how couldn’t you not love the beat! It gets the juices flowing.

More so now in “MLC mode”. LOL

By the time I could (legally) spend time in discos, the trend was dying–punk & new wave were on the rise. Plus, I was (and still am) L7, so it wasn’t my scene. But I loved the music.

My favorite Donna Summer song is “On the Radio.” I’ve always had a thing for listening to the radio, and that song really embodied why. Plus, it has a great beat and a great chord progression.

Here’s my favorite BeeGees tune: “How Deep Is Your Love.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc&ob=av2n

How Can You Mend a Broken Heat – The Bee Gees

41. KHS68 says:

So sad.

Thanks, Rod.. Two music icons… what’s going on now? RIP.
    I liked the music and danced to it, but not synchronized dancing. I think disco went out much too soon… I guess for a lot of people that was a good thing, lol! I did miss all that motown R&B soul. I have a fave Donna Summer song, but can’t recall, will have to look into my collection.

RIP Donna and Robin.
    I didn’t disco but listened to the music. Wasn’t the right kind of music to listen to when you are stoned.

did not disco, listened to the music and enjoyed it…for that matter, listened to all music and enjoyed it. disco scene came and passed me, guess my hippiedom took hold in the 60’s and never lost its grip, besides can’t dance a lick and the disco look was beyond me.

Should have used this vid.

Taken from us way too soon, Rest in Peace Donna Summer and Robin Gibb.

Disco was not my fave genre of music, I guess it was a smidge after my day.

But, like Rod said, it was a part of us. And who doesn’t love Saturday Night Fever with that Fever Strut?

Happy Monday?