Thursday 3 – Flying The Friendly Skies

Fly the friendly skies… of United“.  Living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific ocean means that a trip to the mainland will take at least 5 hours.  So the Thursday 3 questions are:

1. Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?
  2. What do you do to occupy the time in the air?
  3. What tips do you have to share with us about flying?

Okay, here’s my replies:

1. Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?
    I used to dread it.  That is until I heard this guy explaining how much he enjoys it.  He said “Think about it – it’s like you have 5 hours to just relax and cruise.  Try doing that at home – no can!  There’s too much stuffs that needs to be done!“.  That got me thinking – he’s got a point.  And then it dawned on me; it’s all about attitude.  You can dread it or you can enjoy it – but either way – you’ll have to get though it so you might as well make the best of it.
  2. What do you do to occupy the time in the air?
    I listen to music with my iPod and ear-buds.  I very rarely watch the movie or read.  Mostly I sleep – albeit not a very sound sleep.  More like little 1/2 hour to 1 hour cat-naps.  Unless it’s an early morning return flight home from Las Vegas and I stayed up all night – then that flight is just 1 quick trip because I’m sleeping the whole way back.
    Maybe the next time I’ll load up my iPad with some movies and music videos (concerts) to watch.  Only thing is – there needs to by a USB plug to keep the iPad charged up as the videos suck a lot of battery.  I believe it’s Hawaiian Air’s Airbus airplanes that have USB ports available on each seat.
  3. What tips do you have to share with us about flying?
    Get a pair of some slip-on shoes – the kind without the back part.When passing though the TSA check-point, it’s a breeze to just slip these puppies off and put them in the tray.  Then after they come out of the x-ray machine – just slide right back into them.  No need to hobble over to the seating area to tie laces or try to slip your heel back in.
    And when you’re in the air – you can slip your feet out of them for comfort.  btw, did you know that your feet swell up when you’re in the air?  That’s why your already big luau-feet has a harder time fitting back into your shoes.  But these slip-on kine aren’t so restrictive and allows room for your expanded footsies.
    Yeah, okay.  So the shoes might look a little dorky.  But we don’t care.  We’re MLC.  We prefer comfort over looks.  Right?

Okay, your turn to answer the Thursday 3 questions.  And feel free to share any related stories, tips, etiquette, etc. about flying the friendly skies…

*********************************************************************

Another benefit event is coming up to help MLC member “sassydog” to help with her medical bills.

And just a couple of weeks away on April 6th with LS34 band to benefit the Ronald McDonald House

32 Responses to “Thursday 3 – Flying The Friendly Skies”

Happy St. Patrick’s Day ❗ Happy Sunday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

4G: I only tell my “real weight” if I rode on a 6 seater prop plane since I wouldn’t want the plane to crash on account of too much cargo ❗ 😆

Happy St. Paddy’s Day!

“The Wonderful World of Aloha”:

When I first read Rod’s title for this entry, “The Wonderful World of Aloha” immediately came to mind. That first shot of a propeller-driven airplane reflects the first plane ride I ever had. It must have been the summer right before kindergarten.

The stewardess (oops; flight attendant) came down the aisle with a tray of chewing gum right before landing in Kahului. She extended the tray to me and I immediately took the whole thing! LOL! I think I can recall a rather shocked look on her face. LOL – my mom explained that the whole tray wasn’t for me, so I ended up having to give it back. 🙁

They used to ask each passenger for their weight back then. I wonder if people would raise privacy concerns if they did that today? 😉

Good afternoon/evening MLCers ❗ Happy Saturday ❗ 😀

Have a great day/weekend ❗ 😀

KAN: You are smart to bring snacks ❗ This past summer Hawaiian Air stopped serving sandwiches on their red eye. I didn’t know until I asked when are the sandwiches coming out. I was so hungry since we had not eaten any dinner. I had 2 packages of pretzels. Now I bring an energy bar which helps until we have our wonderful luau breakfast at the California Hotel. 😀

4G: LK sandwich, funny ❗ 😆

I don’t mind flying. Hard to sleep though but will take a bunch of catnaps. I try to get an aisle seat as I like to walk around and stretch the legs. Airline food not so good so musubi and small bento keeps me happy. I read mostly and if solo will usually chat with next chair if they willing. Coming home last trip had an interesting guy who was going to Big Island looking at some property to retire. He was a civil rights lawyer from Seattle of India Indian descent. He all kinds of things to say about Seattle’s India community…funny stories that were stereotypical like how the ladies were very competitive among each other, kids were brought up to be doctors but not lawyers unlike himself…we had a good time talking story. Many years ago had another lawyer sitting next to me who said one of his clients was Cheryl Tiegs. I dunno, I believed him. Anyway, his very young son, maybe 4 years old was telling me a story about a duck but it came out like he said f___. Lawyer dad quickly added he was talking about a duck. Cute kid.

(1) Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?
    I worry about the trip until I get into my seat. By then, I’ve gotten to the airport, I’ve gotten through security, and I know if there’s someone loud, small, or sick sitting near me, and I can relax. I don’t enjoy the time in the air (I’m gasagasa, so it’s hard for me to sit still where ever I am), but I don’t dread it.

(2) What do you do to occupy the time in the air? I read, occasionally watch the movie, and if I sleep, it’s right after take off before beverage service.

(3) What tips do you have to share with us about flying?
    Like M, I take an empty bottle through security & fill it with water before boarding. Because I get motion sick, I wear anti-motion sickness acupressure bands. They’re a little uncomfortable, but better than being nauseated. They don’t work for everyone, but they work for me. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/acupressure-bands-for-motion-sickness And I ALWAYS bring snacks.

Another tip:

Carry a backpack so when you go through the TSA line, just throw all your loose change, cell phone, belt, watch, keys, and anything metallic in the pockets of the backpack. You can use it as a piggy bank…I found over $10 in loose change from all the trips back and forth to 808 land.

@LK – LOL at the “LK sandwich”. 😉

The only thing I can think of that would be worse than sitting next to a large person in a coach airline seat is being sandwiched between two large people – with them both overflowing into your seat! 🙁

@Ynaku: I know what you mean about BIG people. On a United Airlines flight I sat next 2 two huge people who had to put the arm rest up since they were too big to fit in their seats. The man had half his leg in the aisle. The big lady sat 6 inches into my seat. I felt like a sardine! Thank goodness she smelled like she was fresh out of the shower. I didn’t complain since it was a full flight and we were a day late getting back to Hawaii due to mechanical problems on another airline. Just wanted to get home. But, both of them should have bought 2 seats each to fit in properly!

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Aloha Friday ❗ 😀

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend ❗ 😀

@M: where to? Have a fun trip ❗ 😀

@4G: Thanks for sharing. Drinking lots of water on the plane is good advice. I use eye drops too. Didn’t know about the saline nasal spray, thanks!

After today I’m on vacation for a week and a half! Leaving on a jet plane……. 🙂
    Happy Aloha Friday!!!!!!! 🙂

13. Ynaku says:

1. Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air? I normally enjoy the flight. EXCEPT when get one BIG PERSON sitting next to me that encroach into my space. You know da kind people I just pray they took a bath and used deodorant. :mrgreen:

2. What do you do to occupy the time in the air? Sleep. I don’t have problems sleeping on a plane, Inter-island or longer. Or I’ll watch a movie. Or sleep some more. 😆

3. What tips do you have to share with us about flying? I too like being comfortable. I’ll bring a jacket to keep warm. Don’t like when my back or neck gets cold. Hate to be sick. Oh yeah….SLEEP 😀

1. Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?

I guess I more enjoy it, with one caveat.

Five hour trips are not a problem for me. It was my first direct flight – I think it was Honolulu to Dallas (about nine hours), when I learned that my tolerance for being cooped up in a jet is about seven hours! After that, I get a little restless. Not too bad; just need to spend more time moving about the cabin, but those last two-hours sure seem to pass slowly! 😉 I think nine-hours is the longest flight I have been on.

I especially like takeoffs and landings. Go figure – the two most accident prone times in a flight! LOL. I used to like sitting at the window so I could look out. In addition to the scenery, I used to enjoy seeing the wing components – stuff like the ailerons, flaps, and thrust reversers, in operation. The other upside to the window seat is that you can lean your head against the cabin – that helps with sleeping. These days, though, I opt for the aisle seat!

A long flight is definitely more civilized in business, or better, first-class. The extra legroom and larger, reclining seats are to die for. The food is better, too. The food is even better on international flights and even better if it’s a non-domestic airline!

I used to travel quite a bit on business. Thankfully, that was pre-9/11. The security associated with air travel after 9/11 makes air travel a lot more of a hassle. Even worse, these days, the flights are, generally, more fully occupied.

2. What do you do to occupy the time in the air?

Read

Listen to music – the PMP (personal music player) has got to be one of the best inventions!

Play electronic games. I remember that, in the “early days”, the big deal was to get a free, new deck of cards from the airline and play solitaire.

Sleep

3. What tips do you have to share with us about flying?

I agree with the previous comments about staying hydrated. In addition to what has already been said, I have found that saline nasal spray (I also tend to use eye drops) works wonders – at least for me. I don’t know if it’s all in my mind, but I swear that it also seems to help with alleviating jet lag.

I should probably caveat that last suggestion with the fact that flights to the mainland always used to seemed to dry my nasal passages to the point where they were a little sore.

A good pair of noise cancelling or noise isolating headphones, earbuds, etc

No belts

Those slip-on shoes are a good idea – I tend to go with athletic shoes, but I tie a small bow at the tip end of the shoe laces and work the slack through the shoe. That way I can slip them on and off pretty easily. I leave them that way all the way to the hotel, or whatever, at the destination. This is a little crazy, but my thought process is that, should something not good happen, a pair of lace-up shoes might be a good thing.

Don’t use the airline-provided pillows and blankets

On our upcoming April trip we’re flying to Omaha, Nebraska with a stop over in Phoenix, Arizona on US Air, a smaller plane. Takes us about 12 hours to arrive there. I’ll probably need 2 novels to pass the time. Then we will drive from Omaha to Henderson, Nevada passing through 2 states. What an adventure. After this next trip I won’t want to go anywhere for awhile but our daughter begins school in Nevada on 7/2/13 and wants us there for her white coat ceremony, we’ll see……

Good afternoon/evening MLCers ❗ Happy Thursday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

I do not like long trips over the ocean so I read a romance novel over to pass the time. On our last trip in February, I read all but the last chapter, made the fly over go quickly. On our January trip, I sat next to a lady who has a fear of flying. She talked to me non-stop for 5.5 hours, said I made her forget the time but I sure was tired when we landed, no time for even a cap nap ❗ She works on a Kona Coffee Farm on the Big Island and gave me her phone number. I should call her and see how her Vegas trip went ❗
    I wear slip on shoes so no problem with TSA checkpoints. 😀

…darn…missing or misplaced an angle bracket in my post…maybee Uncle Rodney will fix for me 😆

Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?

I loved to drive just about anywhere on road trips or conferences in SoCal or Vegas. When my kids had hockey tournaments out of state I would rent an SUV and enjoy the countryside, national parks, sites and family time together. Now, being an MLCer, the only destination I would drive to is Vegas, anywhere else I will fly.

What do you do to occupy the time in the air?

Before the iPods and MP3 players were around, it was the Sony Walkman. Now I watch/listen to music videos on my smart phone. I’m not much of a tablet person but I do carry along a laptop since I do some telecommuting from where ever I may happen to be….HI, Vegas, Maine. My brother gave me a set of very comfortable Etymotic Research ear buds – I use them on my phone and digi-players.

I’ve met a lot of interesting people sitting next to me and sometimes see the same flight crew and we would catch up on what’s been going on. Most are locals either flying home to 808 or flying back to 602 and beyond.

What tips do you have to share with us about flying?

Want the following?

1) no check-in baggage fees
    2) priority check-in
    3) priority TSA line
    4) a place to relax and snack before boarding
    5) priority boarding
    6) champagne on boarding
    7) nice choice of meals using real plates, glasses and silverwares and all the soda/juices/beer/liquor you want..within reason of course 🙂
    8) your own personal space without your seatmate hogging the arm rest
    9) being fed before the beverage service has even started behind you
    10) one loo for 18 instead of 50+
    11) visit the cockpit and even a photo op with the pilot in the captain’s seat
    12) first off the plane and usually your luggage is first on the carousel at baggage claim
    13) land, pickup baggage, pickup rental car, pickup lunch at L&L Drive In and arrive at your mom’s home in a little over one hour
    14) …..get to do 1-12 all over again on your flight back home

If YES, then, just saying:

Upgrade or use your frequent flyer miles to 1st/Business/Premier class . This should be on everyone’s bucket list….especially flying to international destinations.

1.Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air? Actually I enjoy the time in the air.
    2.What do you do to occupy the time in the air? Always bring my crossword magazine and like to watch movies.
    3.What tips do you have to share with us about flying? Wear long pants or bring a jacket unless you are cold blooded like my hubby. Hey Rod- I have a pair of clog-likes but never crossed my mind to wear them. I wear the run/walk shoes and have to take them off all the time. Too much baggage to bring the clog-like along so I suffer another way 🙁 lol!!

1. Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?
    Kind of dread the time, but knowing that we will be in another place, makes it enjoyable. Most times when coming home, sleep…

2. What do you do to occupy the time in the air?
    Used to read books or magazines, watch movies, listen to ipod. Now if no mo turbulents, go to the back and bs with anyone there…

3.What tips do you have to share with us about flying?
    stay hydrated… just hope and pray you not seating next to someone with a cold…

If the flight is empty, as soon as the door closes, grab the empty seats, if you have a whole row, you can lay down.

Good Morning.

I like to travel.

1- I typically enjoy the time in the air. No worries. I can not sleep on the plane. No matter if I stay up all night in the casino or not. Little cat naps are the most I get while in the plane.

2- Nowdays I have my iPod, iPad, Android phone all loaded with videos, books, music. If I am lucky to have the two seats to spread my legs, I am in heaven.

3- No real tips. Just stay hydrated. It makes all the difference in the world after getting off the plane.

The flight to Japan is hard for me and I love going there, 8-9 hours, but I just focus on how good the food is going to be and how much fun once I get there.

24. lowtone123 says:

1. I don’t mind traveling inter-island but mainland flights can be rough for me. I can’t sleep, the seats are so uncomfortable it hurts my back and I can’t stand the thought of being couped up for five hours.
    2. I listen to my music and read my book.
    3. Dress comfortably and wear slippers so that they are easy to take off and put on when you get to the security checkpoint.

We pack everything in our suitcases in 1 gallon ziplock bags. We roll it up first before going into the ziplock and separate everything. It makes it neat and organized.
    I always bring Duct Tape, it can fix anything, first aid kit and my Leatherman tool.

Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?
    I love to travel but I dread the flights past the Aloha States.

What do you do to occupy the time in the air?
    I listen to music with the earbuds. I have a hard time sleeping on the plane and after awhile the seat gets uncomfortable and my butt starts to ache.

What tips do you have to share with us about flying?
    Get an aisle seat, I wear slippahs, I bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at the water fountain at the gate and bring snacks.

Some advice to people traveling with little ones….Don’t let you child keep kicking the seat in front of them.

I used to always wear slippers because going thru TSA is such a pain. Plus like Rod mentioned, my feet would swell so slippers are more comfortable. But then now with baggage fee’s and weight restrictions I wear my shoes instead of packing them.

Good morning!

1.Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air? I love traveling but wish it didn’t take so long to get somewhere. On the other hand my grandma used to always tell me stories about her parents traveling by boat….so flying is not so bad after all.

2.What do you do to occupy the time in the air? I bring stuff to read, watch the movie and listen to music. I like to play games on my phone or Kindle. I like that the Airbus has USB ports because I always run my battery out. On the way out i’m so excited to be going somewhere that I cannot sleep. Usually comming home i’m so tired that I am able to sleep. Back in the day before things were so strict I used to walk around the plane and talk story with the crew.

3.What tips do you have to share with us about flying?
    On long hauls the most important thing is to stay hydrated. On flights to Japan the airlines are really good about constantly offering drinks. Its a pain in the butt to go bathroom but its better than becoming dehydrated. On flights to the Mainland I always bring my own food. I try to get up and walk around so my legs don’t get cramps. I make sure my batteries are fully charged on my electronics. When I have big carry on I try to get on board as soon as I can otherwise the overheads are all full. I don’t like it when I have to use an overhead behind me, than its a pain in the butt when its time to get off the plane.

1.Do you dread or enjoy the time in the air?
    Neighbor island flights are okay. I dread the long ones.
    2.What do you do to occupy the time in the air?
    Before iPods, I used to rent earphones for music and the movie. But the ears come sore after awhile from the earbuds.
    3.What tips do you have to share with us about flying?
    I have a hard time sleeping on a plane. Its usually the steady engine noise that keeps me up. Since investing in a good pair of noise cancelling headphones, I plug in the iPod, play mellow, soothing music, and fall right to sleep.

First!