Do You Remember… Dip-A-Flower

I remember seeing these around back in the 70’s.  My friend’s sisters used to make flowers.  Of course we never had this in my house of testosterone.  But I used to see it in Pete’s Model Crafts and other hobby shops and thought that they were so cool!

Eventually, the fragile film on the flowers tore and the masterpieces were thrown away.

Fast forward to the 90’s when I started going to Dr. Tagami for dental work.  In the room where the dental hygienist would lay the chair flat and I’d be looking towards the ceiling for an hour, right in the corner – was a hanging mobile of fish – made with this transparent film!  Wow, talk about a flashback.

I inquired about it but they said that it was there when Dr. Tagami took over the practice.  A couple of the fishes were torn and they eventually threw it out.  I use to look for it every time I went for my cleaning.  Bummer.
Then a few months ago, I stumbled upon the Dip-A-Flower picture.  So that’s what it’s called.  I tried searching for it for a number of hours but without knowing the name of the thing, I came up blank.

I found out that there were even instruction books made about dip filming.

Now I want some.

And it just so happens that there are places that still sell it!  It’s just that these places are located in the UK and I’m not sure if they ship to the U.S.  Or if it’s a banned substance in the U.S.

Check out how fun and easy it is to do.  Of course you have to dress in retro-wear when you do it.

Do you remember Dip-A-Flower?  Maybe you had a set growing up?  Do you know where I can get some? 😉

*****************************************************************

April is gearing up to be an active month for music!

Coming up in just a couple of weeks on April 6, 2013 – a benefit for the Ronald McDonald House featuring the sounds of LS34 band.

Sassydog is still battling her illness and could use our help.  There will be a fundraiser on April 14, 2013 at Ige’s.  Come on out and enjoy the music and the delicious foods – but more importantly – show your support for Sharon.  She needs us.

And to wrap up April – the Hawaii Bone Marrow Donor Registry is having their Give to Live – “Miracles with Aloha” function on April 26, 2013.

Let me know if you need tickets for any or all of these events!

35 Responses to “Do You Remember… Dip-A-Flower”

1. Alan Theriault says:

If anyone out there knows where the cans of dip-a-flower colored liquid can be purchased, could you please contact me at atheriault001@maine.rr.com. Thank you.

2. Naomi says:

I loved doing the dip-a-flower’s when I was a kid! For all I know my mom still has a set. Assuming it didn’t dry up. You would have to make tons of flowers to use up a tin of each color! I found your blog looking for a picture and description of dip-a-flower. I was watching a rerun of “The Middle” from last year, where Sue and Axle get their Wisdom teeth pulled. So Frankie (the mom) had got out a box of crafts intending to entertain them while they recover. She pulled out a dip-a-flower kit. I was chatting with my daughter on the phone at the time. I was like “Wow! I can’t believe they are doing dip-a-flower on “The Middle! I haven’t seen those in years!” My 25 year old daughter then off course asks “What are dip-a-flower’s” so I told her I would have to try to find a picture or something online to show her. Thanks for doing a blog entry on them. This gives a great descript as well a picture I can share with her!

• Rodney says:

@Naomi – Welcome and thank you for sharing your dip-a-flower story with us. You know, I always admired the flowers but never did have a kit. I remember seeing them at Pete’s Model Craft and Hobby Shop. That’s funny how your 25 year-old-daughter didn’t know what it is. Really ages us, huh? LOL

3. kailua girl says:

My dad bought that for us! We had four different colors. The smell was pretty strong – I think this was probably in 1967? He also got us into making coconut jewelry about the same time.

• Todd Randall says:

I remember that smell. My sisters used to have this and just the other day I smelled that smell and it got me thinking of this thing.

@TwoFish: Cool links. Thanks! Neat to see characters long forgotten.

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Wednesday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

@M: Welcome back from vacation ❗ Have a great week ❗ 😀

6. TwoFish says:

@Mark’75 – howzit howzit! Did you know there is a website (just did a search out of curiosity): http://www.macstoys.nl/history%20characters.html

Gives history on the characters.

Another place gives pic, and it’s nice (my opinion) to see a non-Asian Ronald here: http://placeitonluckydan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/mcdonaldland.jpg

@TwoFish: Howzit! Wow, I forgot about those lids and some of those characters!

I’m back at work…

Good afternoon MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday our Prince Kuhio Day Holiday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

Hi, TwoFish! Nice to hear from you ❗ 😀

11. TwoFish says:

@KAN – I remember those lids! McDonald Land, Big Mac (police), Evil Grimace 4 arms holding shakes), Hamburgler, Gooblin Goblin (look like mops with legs), Captain Crook, Ron, Mayor McCheese, Professor (full body), Professor (profile), Hamburger Bunch, French Fry Patch, Apple Pie Tree.

Sounds like the start of another topic: what you did with those lids.

Rain coming, have to go home!

My auntie made those flowers for her wedding center pieces. I think I was 5 or 6 years old. They were pretty cool!

Happy Kuhio Day!

14. jaydee says:

Well almost got that HTML link right. lol

15. jaydee says:

Rod, here’s a link to the “Paint-by-Numbers” kit I was referring to:
    Paint by Numbers Museum>

@TwoFish: back in the days when McDonald’s drink lids had imprints of the characters, I would save the lids and pour Elmer’s glue into it. When it dried completely, you could carefully peel it out of the lid and color the character. You couldn’t get the glue figure wet, of course, but it would stick just about anywhere.

@TwoFish – ahh, the ol’ let the glue dry on your palm and peel it off in one piece trick.

@jaydee – My brother had something like paint by numbers, but it involved glue and little colored rocks – like pop rocks candy. I couldn’t find it on the web. I was thinking maybe for a later post.

Anyone know what it was called?

@skibunz – So that’s why this was such a good hobby. It made kids get along with each other. And remember, this was in the late 60’s, early 70’s period when catching a buzz was the in thing. lol

@khs68 – Thanks for the link!

21. TwoFish says:

Oh hey, wow! Want to make food-safe ones, then go over to http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/gelatinflowers.htm or http://cakefairytales.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-make-gelatine-flowers-and.html where it shows pics and gives instructions using gelatin (as in Knox gelatin) and edible airbrush or paste food coloring.

If you can’t find edible airbrush paint and have Wilton Icing Colors, I saw instructions how to make it from that using a small amount of vodka for the solvent.

22. TwoFish says:

If you feel like doing an experiment, try different mixtures of PVA glue with water, and dip different sized wires in to find out where the surface tension is best.

Where can you find PVA glue, you ask. Check with any family who has school kids, or someone who does woodworking. The most well known and ubiquitous PVA white glue is Elmer’s School glue, the yellow version is known as carpenter’s glue.

I think I’m going to go locate a bottle and squeeze some on my hand to make a palm print.

Good evening MLCers ❗ Happy Monday ❗ 😀

Have a great evening ❗ 😀

I don’t recall this product at all. We couldn’t afford anything as fancy as this flower project.

I think my Gramma used to do this. I remember that smell too – like resin. Really strong.

25. snow says:

i had that set! i LOVED it! i thought those flowers were the coolest things and i had to check how hard the petals were so i’d still my fingers through them to make sure! so fun! but, i don’t remember the smell… or maybe the smell is why i don’t remember?! lol. i think i got it as a christmas present… one of the best gifts ever! only thing i didn’t like was when they got old because they’d collect dust but were hard to clean!

I remember making these flowers during summer school at Japanese School. Yeah, the smell of the liquid was REAL strong. After making a couple, we’d tell the sensei the smell was giving us headaches, so she’d let us go outside, where we resumed our baseball game. (maybe she wanted to get us out of her class too!)

I remember that. My mom was into all sorts of craft things and this was one of those. Skibunz is right – it had a strong petroleum distillate odor. Personally, I kind of liked that smell, but then I like bus fumes, too! LOL.

The video shows opaque colors. I don’t remember seeing opaque colors way back when – I only remember the translucent colors. I remember helping to dip a few “petals”, but don’t recall actually making a finished piece myself. I remember that it was pretty neat to be able to form little “lenses” from those loops of wire. I think it was because of this that I first learned about florist tape. That’s some pretty neat stuff, too! LOL.

28. skibunz says:

Good morning! OMG, as soon as I saw the pic I could smell the fumes that used to permeate the room! It was really fun making these. Shaping the wire into petals, dipping into the liquid plastic, then assembling to form a flower. I think the fumes made us high because we, my sister and I, were always euphoric in this activity. Most other times we’d be scrapping, lol! Thanks for that olfactory reminiscence! Have a fabulous day!

I don’t remember it or even heard of it.

My sisters had these when I was growing up. I remember being fascinated by the colors.

31. jaydee says:

I don’t remember ever having Dip-A-Flower but I do remember Paint-by-Numbers. My first painting at the age of 9 was a Bulldog and a German Shepard.

Hi Rodney: Check this out and they’re in Gettysburg PA