Before Fast Foods

The other weekend while dining with Paula and daughter #2, I was telling them that I didn’t start eating tacos until I was in high school because:

1. We didn’t have mainland fast food places when we were kids
  2. I didn’t eat cheese – especially yellow cheese
  3. The only kind of taco I knew was boiled octopus

Paula shared that she ate tacos (the Mexican kine) when she was small only because her older cousins made tacos with them in the kitchen – from scratch.  Well, they had the tortilla shells, but they had to fry them to get them crispy and taco shaped.

But going back to item #1 – Hawaii got it’s first fast food restaurant – McDonalds – in 1968.

McDonalds Menu
This picture is actually from 1974

Until then, we grew up with mom & pop drive ins.  About the closet thing we had to a chain of restaurants was Zippys when they opened their second eatery in Kaimuki.

But we were totally happy eating mom & pop hamburgers made with Loves buns, a thin patty, the ketchup/relish mix, and of course – the yellow sauce.  And if you could swing another dime – the hamburger transformed into a cheese burger.  And if your dad’s tax return just arrived, that meant a Deluxe – with lettuce, onion, and tomato.

Then later came Jack in the Box.  The one at the corner of King and McCully is the first one that I remember.  That’s where I had my first taste of a taco.  And from that point on, I knew I loved tacos.  And onion rings!

Somewhere along the timeline – Taco Bell set up shop on Oahu.  Their tacos were different.  Not the same as Jack in the Box tacos.  I couldn’t quite pinpoint the exact difference.  I think the Taco Bell tacos were… Fresher?  Healthier?

Anyway, then the fast food restaurants started expanding to the rural areas of Oahu.  Kailua got a McDonalds!  And a Dunkin’ Donuts to go with it.  And for some odd reason, Kailua got an A&W Root Beer drive in restaurant.  Honolulu didn’t even have one yet!  Next came Taco Bell to Kailua.  And this was WAAYYY before Kailua became a tourist destination.

But soon, the Andy’s Drive In, Jumbo’s Drive InScotty’s Drive In, Kenny’s Burgerhouse, Jolly Roger Drive In – they all started to lose business and began shutting their doors.

Gone were the 25¢ each or 5 for $1 hamburgers.  The Porky Boys and Cheesy Gals gave way to Big Macs and Jumbo Jacks.

But back to the point I was trying to express to daughter #2 – in our day, we just had local drive ins with local kine sandwiches, plates lunches, and drinks – including malts and/or shakes.  And if you were lucky, they had one slush machine.  We didn’t have these mainland chain drive ins.  It was all mom & pop drive ins.

Are you happier now with the mainland chains here giving us more choice of dishes?  Or would you have been happy with just the old locally owned drive ins?  Or are you okay with it – in the name of progress.  Not that we can change anything – but it’s nice to remember how simple it was in the olden days.  Although the kids of today might beg to differ.

****************************************************************************************

Endless Summer 03
Contact me for ticket info.

131 Responses to “Before Fast Foods”

1. HawnHog says:

From Farrington H S in the early 60’s. 5 or 6 of us “seniors” decided we were not going to eat lunch in the cafeteria our senior year. Everyday we piled into 2 cars and went to George’s Inn on Merchant St. (The ROTC guys that guarded the parking lot gates knew better than to give us huhu.) The waitress had “our” table ready. They knew who wanted soup or fruit cocktail and who wanted fruit juice or ice tea. Automatic. We ordered our food. Scarfed it down, had a smoke on the way back to school in time for the bell. Did this every day for the whole school year. How did we pull it off. LOL!

2. Dodge says:

I happened upon this page because I seemed to recall when I was a younger a place called Jolly Roger’s and another called Jumbo’s and also Byron’s near the airport and can still taste the teri beef sandwiches, teri beef burgers’ mahi mahi sandwiches and saimin. I also remember Goodie Goodie Drive in in Waipahu and the ever famous Goodie Goodie ice cream and sherberts. Also Leeward’s Drive in in Waipahu where one could get a full plate of fried noodles for less than a dollar. Bluebird’s Drive Inn in Pearl City had some of the greatest plate lunches (aside from the beach food trucks). The Hawaiian plate was so ono and Bluebird’s was the first place I ever experienced pork adobo outside of someone’s home.

@CZT1Dave – Welcome and thanks for posting! I didn’t know that the Taco Bell on Kapahulu was the first one in Hawaii! Come to think of it, I used to go there when I worked in Kapahulu and that place was basically a couple of take out windows. I think there are a couple of tables but they’re out in the sun next to the parking lot.

I used to visit the Taco Bell in Kailua. But one of my favorite places was Taco Hut in Kailua.

4. CZT1Dave says:

Taco Bell came to Hawaii in 1976, it’s first location being the Kapahulu one. That was my first exposure to Mexican food, well, besides Dorito’s. I used to work there, and we used fresh ground beef that came to us raw and we actually cooked, fresh vegetables that we shredded/diced, and even raw pinto beans that we pressure cooked to make refried beans. All taco shells were fried on site, not like nowadays. Taco Bell was much, MUCH better back in the day.

K-den, gotta make big-body one more time.

You know that buggah, Joey Chestnut? Well he’s the undisputed champion of scarfing down hot dogs. What, he did around 70 on the 4th of July? That’s pretty impressive. Think he also holds that distinction for the past 5 years on Coney Island. Took the title from a little Japanee bobora, Kobayashi, I think.

Well, when I was working at ABC during nights, I, too, was sent out for the dinner runs. No matter to me because I always took the scenic route and took my time before going back to the salt-mine. So the manager tells me, “eh Pake, time for dinner” “Yes sir, Mr. $4.00 an hour big-shot”. Hehehe, I was making around $3.00 myself.

Anyway, we decided on Kim Chee Restaurant one night. So we phoned in our order before I headed out. Talk about making big-body. I ordered the Kim Chee Special. Yes, the one with full plate and a separate box for the rice. It must cost $15 nowadays. That night, on my 30 minute dinner break, I shoveled down the entire plate of food. Rice included.

Hey Chestnut, you might be good with the hotdogs. But me? I’m solid with local Korean food. LOL

Okay, told this one before but what the heck since we’re on the topic of FF. Anyway, Rod started the jokes off with his boiled “taco”.

So, there I was, attending a wedding stag. I hate those. People actually thought I was ‘da kine’ for showing up solo. The bride and groom was running behind with the reception line. So everyone was waiting in the lobby area for the doors to open up.

What do I while I was standing alone? Checking out the chicks, of course! LOL. Then I heard 2 kids talking. They must’ve been no more than 6 or 7 years old. Real innocent and down-to-goodness darlings.

So the little girl asks this boy she met there. “How come Wendy’s became pregnant?” “I don’t know”, the boy shouted back. Then she said loudly, “because Burger King forgot to wrap his whopper!”

For crying out loud, that was the funniest thing I heard that evening. Now, not only was I single and attending the wedding alone, I was LMAO! Everybody in the lobby though I was crazy. There he was, single and pupule. Whatevers.

To each it’s own, brah, to each it’s own! LOL

@Seawalker – looks like you hit your “century” goal! 😉

@Keoni – eh, long time no hear! 🙂

So my friends and I would cut-class early before lunch. We would cross the street on King, and then run across Beretania to the Burger King there. Man, can’t tell you the numerous sessions we had. When prom season came, it was ‘eh, who you take?’ or so and so and such and such going prom together. Then, afterschool, we caught the Fasi limo special to the JIB in Bishop Square for another jam-session. With all those meeting rendezvous and cattle-calls, you would think we had the whole world figured out. Yes sir, I am a graduate of public school. But I not in jail yet. LOL

Years ago, after a night of drinking and rejections at Rumours Nightclub in the Ala Moana Hotel, went to JIB on Ward to “eat” it off. Can’t remember how many Caronas was in me, but definitely heard swishing sounds as I walked. LOL. Anyway, only the drive-thru was open. Okay, simple enough. Order, pay and then go eat to sober up. But no, we had to act like jacka$$es and order in Chinese. JIB does not hire Pake-speaking dummies. So the buggah was just laughing and told us to head to Chinatown. We ended up at Sonoyas to grind instead. But I can’t help but think that’s where they got the term, ‘we have the right to refuse service’. Yah, right. And that’s why you working at JIB! LOL

@Keoni – LOL, man. Last time let loose, the blog police and, then, a spotlight in a blog. Took lickins’ and learned my lesson!

11. keoni says:

Eh Seawalker, go fo’ broke! 🙂

Man, I’m egging to tell another ridiculous story. But all I see is Rod staring at me with his Texas handle bar (above his lip) in the picture above telling me “no, don’t do it”. LOL

keoni

July 24th, 2013 at 1:17 am #

UR, maybe a topic I haven’t seen (or don’t remembah – MLC ya know! 😆 ) – What one (and only one fo’ make it hahd) food item do you miss most if you’re away from Hawai’i for any length of time. One that you can’t find a substitute that even comes close to da real thing? Sorta like da “Wawa” post above. Gotta plan to holoholo to da east coast sometime soon!

Good idea, Keoni! Thanks!

@Seawalker: 😆

Then we became teenagers. Armed with a car and always dangerous, we would make these fast-food runs to McD’s every so often. One-by-one down the line someone would take down the orders. Even my mother would order something. But no beef for her. She couldn’t stand the smell or beef. Or was it one of us constantly sweaty boys? Hehehe. Anyway, it would be something like 6 big macs, 4 double-bacon cheeseburgers, 3 filet-o-fish burgers, 3 chicken Mcnuggets, 12 french fries, 3 apple pies, 2 hot chocolate sundaes, and 1 happy meal (aisoos, one of my brothers had a fascination with toys!). So when got up to the drive-thru line, one of us would bark out the order. Then, we would hear laughing in the background. What so funny, Bugs Bunny? I felt like telling ’em, this pays for your paycheck comedian! But it was all good. They knew who we were and we were always polite. How much calories was all that in total? 20,000? 25,000? No matter to us. We were teenagers. We were termites. We were eating machines. We rule! LOL

Used to always walk down to Buzzburger located in Moanalua Shopping center to get the burgers during elementary time. Fast forward highschool… always at JackIn The Box Kalihi by the Umi St. bus terminal. When the bus got to the terminal, my friends and I would always get a snack before doing the transfer to another bus.
    I like White Castle burger too… but my friend told me why they are called “sliders”- lol, funny. Greasy!!

@Mark – At McKinley, we were known for our calculus, d.r.i.p.s. club, and what else… da chicks. LOL

Guud morning MLCers ❗

@khs68: Kaimuki girls…oh my! I should’ve paid more attention!

For some of us, fast-food was a way of life back then. But not for us. My memories of going to the School Street McD’s with my little brothers in tow is just classic for me. It was our family treat. Pops usually weren’t there because he had to work. Most times we ate at home. So we weren’t used to the special sauce in the Big Mac or even ketchup for the french fries. What little monies parents used to have was spent on us to go where on our black and white tube says it was the place to be. Burger King? Forget about it. Too high society. So, “McDonald’s is my kind of place…”

@Keoni – “Gee, I’m having fun entertaining myself while everyone go hiamoe!”

No worries, braddah. We’ll be brothers-in-arm along with Mr. Alzheimer soon! LOL. Everybody’s loopy. Did I mention my nickname was Loop Doggy Dog? 😆

@ankles – Hey, what if you ask them to join in on the blog? Then, we can get the real scoops on the DJ, j/k. Windward peeps. Love to hear stories of the golden oldies era. The make love and not war era. The ‘Nam era. Used to work with this guy from the midwest. He’s probably retired by now. Anyway, that guy was just full of stories and used to LMAO. Terrific you still hang with your classmates.

@seawalker – I’ve BEEn BEEzy…..work, grandkids, kids and reconnecting with my classmates, many of whom I’ve haven’t talked to in decades and some since graduation ❗ We’ve been group Skyping….so nice to see many of them again.

The McD’s menu brings back memories of our family driving across the US in the mid ’60s from Cali to N.C….I think, back then it displayed ‘Millions Sold’ on their signs….

24. keoni says:

Running out of things to say, so I going kulikuli fo’ now.

25. keoni says:

Three places that I liked for Hawaiian food on my first trip are thankfully still open – Helena’s, Haili’s, and Ala Moana Poi Bowl.

26. keoni says:

Haven’t “post hoared” in a long time, and kind of enjoying it. heehee! 🙄

27. keoni says:

OK, back on topic. The one place I remember from my first trip to Hawai’i was Patti’s Chinese Kitchen at Ala Moana. I lucked out in that I was able to enjoy some of their food at Pearlridge when I moved here, before they closed. I hope that the owners somehow find a spot to re-open as they were reported to want to do.

28. keoni says:

Gee, I’m having fun entertaining myself while everyone go hiamoe!

29. keoni says:

But what da heck it ups the count fo’ da blog, yeah!

30. keoni says:

Oops, meant to say “SHOCK”!

31. keoni says:

Gotta laugh cause da graphic wen you type the code for “LOL” is probably how I look wen I overdose on the sweets!

32. keoni says:

Oh, and anuddah thing I crave is Tastykake snack cakes from back east. But even those I give up fo stay here in Hawai’i. (Plus all da sugah do a numbah on my blood glucose! 😯

33. keoni says:

34. keoni says:

BTW, belated Hau’oli La Hanau, Uncle Rodney!

35. keoni says:

I feel jealous that I missed all the great places everyone mentioned, with one caveat (you like da big kine words? 😆 ), and that is the Wawa chain of convenience stores in NJ, PA and environs (unuddah big word!). They have the best hoagies and other sandwiches made fresh to order, plus hot foods and soups. I wish they could open branches here, but, auwe, they ship all stuff from their own warehouse locations in the region.

36. keoni says:

I have wondered why there is no Dunkin Donuts out here now. I would think they’d do well.

Then – more worse, after pau eat, go home and go back sleep. What a piggy, yeah? LOL.

@dihudfan – LOL, yeah – thanks. Kalihi Union (not Central Union). The one across the street from that JIB. 😉

eh 4G… park in Kalihi Union Church?? We used to hang at Kalihi Bowl, so would drive to Jack’s and go back to the alley’s parking lot…

@Mark’75 -wow, I haven’t thought about the cloth towel dispensers in a really long time!

I don’t know how I could forget this, but the real (positive) differentiator for Jack in the Box, way back when, was that they were open 24-hours a day!

I remember quite a few times, while going to school, that I would wake up hungry at like at 2 or 3 in the morning – I would jump in the car, make it to the Jack in the Box that used to be by Kalihi Shopping Center, get my food, park in the Central Union Church parking lot and eat! LOL.

@Mark’75 – I can tell you from experience that when you get to the end of the “clean towel”, it won’t move anymore no matter how hard you pull. One time my friend kept trying to pull with all her strength (she had big arms) and pulled the screws out of the dispenser. We ran like hell out of the bathroom. Kaimuki girls, what can I say?

Remember when restaurant bathrooms had cloth towel dispensers? The ones with a thin white cloth towel that hung down kinda like a loop? The towel would be all wet and wrinkled from the person before you, and you had to carefully grab the edges and pull to get a clean portion. I always wondered what if I reached the end of the loop and pulled out a used portion…ugh!

@4G: I agree. I used to like Jack In The Box tacos too! Its been many years since I had one though.

I was just thinking about those Jack in the Box tacos. @Rod – you too funny:

“I couldn’t quite pinpoint the exact difference. I think the Taco Bell tacos were… Fresher? Healthier?”

LOL! Those JIB tacos are so gross/nasty that they are GOOD! I used to love those! Goes to show that anything that’s deep-fried is gonna taste good. 😉

That “meat” – LOL – I always thought it seemed more like refried beans than meat.

What happened to our resident DJ, Kamasami Ankles? You there, @ankles?

That, and going to give Rod (our chaplain) the century mark of comments. Plenty of hot air to release! 😆

@LK – Got lots to say… way, way, way overworked these days! LOL

Definitely going to Zippy’s today for 2 hours ❗ They have FREE A/C ❗ 😀

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

KEEP COOL ❗ 😀

Seawalker, this retiree has A/C ❗ Going to put it on any second now ❗ 😀

Love your funny stories ❗ 😆

When we were kingpins of the newspaper boys, they used to give us McDonald tickets for going out and getting people to subscribe to the newspaper. Each ticket was good for a hamburger and drink. On occasion, it would be a Big Mac, fries and coke. Had tons of those. HNA used to buy those from McDonalds to distribute.

Man, sure is humid today. Lucky you work. Lucky you got central air. Lucky you get paid. Today, I don’t envy you retirees. LOL

“McDonald’s is my kind of place. They serve you rattlesnakes. French fries between your toes. Coco-cola in your nose. You deserve a break today. So get up and get away to McDonald’s”

Public school… it scars you for a lifetime. LOL

Okay, almost time for morning chicken-fat. Gotta burn those calories off with all this food-talk. Then, gonna get me-self a breakfast special and eat to my heart’s delight. Guilty-pleasures? Nah, grandma always used to always say, start off by eating 2 big bowls of rice to toughen yourself up for the day. Sage advice. Bless her heart for giving me those memories!

Wow, I see Tripple Ripple Ice Cream cone for 20 cents in the McDonald’s sign above. What, ice milk with sugar or real ice cream? Costco has a pretty good version of a chocolate and vanilla ice cream swirl. Have one of those puppies, and you’re good to go for another 6 months. Man, sometimes it ain’t fun getting old. LOL

Mom and pop establishments,eh? How about Bert’s Cafe over on Kapahulu? Went there a few times. But always felt guilty after I ate. It was such a hole-in-the-wall hideout, and a granny used to take your order and cook your food too, that I felt like you had to leave a bigger tip than usual.

We used to sing this all the time when we were young. “Grab a bucket and mop. Scrub the bottom and top. There is nothing so clean, like my faddah’s din(g)-din(g). You deserve a break today…” Remember that? It was sung to the tune of McDonald’s. LOL

Been to Shige’s. Not too shabby. But Dong Yang rocks in that nick of the woods. Nowadays, it’s Kim Chee Restaurant for thee, baby! Sometimes they even give us their house potato salad after ordering. It’s not just limu soup and kim chee pupu dishes. Now that’s what I call a classic place for the die-hards.

@dihudfan – Lunch for a buck at Diners? Okay, a little before me. But not by much. Think I’m at two-and-a-half buck. Remember the saimin with terri beef the most. The chicken katsu kicked okole too. Man, those were the days. Used to buy my grinds and then go to the newspaper machine and buy a Star-Bulletin. Now the New Diners? Haven’t been to Megs for 20 years. Time for a cattle-call. Have you tried the saimin house across the post office on King? Went there with my mother about a year ago. Cheap eats for sure. No a/c in that joint.

@Mark’75… love bowling alley food!!! almost all the alleys had ono food…
    also loved the shrimp boat at Scotty’s…

@Seawalker… just had a pork cutlet from Megs… wuz goood… don’t know if this wuz before your time or not… Diner’s plate lunches sold for less than dollar…

62. NaPueo says:

I miss most of those closed places. The family run places close because no one wants to take over or the rents get too high.

Another way to get to the Kahala Mall basement restroom is to take the stairs from the parking lot by Pizza Hut.

@4G – LOL. No, no, no, this one has nothing to do with being Pake. It’s called customer service at its highest-level. It’s called, How To Negotiate and Win Friends at the same time. That’s why there are some Rich Dads and Poor Dads in this world. Unscrupulous buggah… LOL

When I used to work in the Ala Moana Building, Chicken Alice was a weekly staple for lunch. One Christmas time, along with my lunch plate came a plateful of chicken – must have been 10+ pieces. Merry Christmas! 🙂

@Seawalker – re: Honda Parts. LOL – what, you pake or something? Oh, wait – . 😉

One time when Chicken Alice’s was over at Ala Moana S.C. (when she was legit), think I bot the 60 piece bucket. So I ordered, and was told to wait a few minutes. Okay, I can wait for those delicious hot wings and drumettes. When my order was done, they told me, ‘here you go’. The lady just turned away from the window without taking my money. Going to college then and driving a new 5.0 Mustang, I thought it was devine intervention. I didn’t pay. She forgot to take my money! Went to a poker game that night with the grinds. Everyone wanted to pay me back, but I kept saying no. It was my treat. Everybody enjoyed the chicken except for me. I wonder why? Unscrupulous buggah!

@4G – When Honda was on Ala Moana Blvd., I needed to go there to get something. Forget what for. Anyway, it was priced high. Not unusual for a car dealership. So I asked the guy, ‘what, you make cash sales?’. So the guy looked at me and started to smile. He knew we both spoke the same language. He asked me, you need a receipt? I told him, are you kidding me? He then said, I’ll give you 40% off then. So I said, shoots. I paid, and he handed over the goodies. I got a terrific discount and he got a cash bonus. I told him thank you. He tells me, no, THANK YOU! Unscrupulous buggah! LOL

Zippy’s is our restaurant of choice. Ever since I retired and was their “Secret Shopper” for 5 months. We were paid to eat there 9 times per month. What a plum job assignment ❗ Who doesn’t love to eat ❓ However, every time we go there the price seems to get higher and higher. A way around that, hubby and I order 1 complete meal and 1 regular salmon plate. We ask them to split the salad and the meal. Cheaper than asking for 2 minis. Cost: $13.76 after the Senior Citizen 10% discount. I also do the survey on the receipt every time to get my coffee for 50 cents. Not bad for a dinner meal. We do this almost EVERY day ❗ If you ever want to find us, visit Waipahu Zippy’s ❗ 😀

Good evening, MLCers ❗ Happy Monday ❗ 😀

Have a great evening ❗ 😀

Loved all of your stories, food will do that to the MLC gang ❗ 😆

@Mark’75 – Oh the one between Zales & the Apple store.

@Seawalker – I remember the mirrors, that’s how come I now only go to the one by the theater.

@4G – Lucky buggah. Helps when you probably have a great tush. LOL

Last time I ordered the burger from W&M, it was not as great. Should have ordered the mushroom and all that jazz on it. But got the chinsy one instead. But had to try it with all the commotion going on. Shimizu shave ice is the bomb! They even got green river soda flavor for the old-futs.

LOL – Seawalker’s “friendly worker” made me flash on something. Must have been like 1975. I was working full-time at Honolulu Auto Parts – McCully Branch – was in the Bunmeido building. So – around the corner of King and McCully, right? There’s a McD’s a little further up King Street. So, as the new guy, I was the designated “gofer”. Every once in a while, I would have to go pick up breakfast at McD’s. There were a couple of times when one of the countergirls just smiled, kinda winked, slid the food to me and then kind of look/turn away – like it’s the end of the transaction and she’s waiting for me to make way for the next customer.

Score! 😉

@khs68: middle part of the mall, the stairway between the escalators. go downstairs and follow the corridor to the far end of the basement.

@khs – That’s the one that got flooded in the big rain several years back. It’s the one with the mirrors. You have to suck in your gut when you walk by, otherwise you look chunky. LOL

Kahala Mall basement john? Go there all the time. Pretty normal when doing number 1. I swear, when it’s number 2… I hear voices to the tune of mmm, mmm, good (Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup) for no apparent reason. LOL

@Mark’75 – where’s the basement restroom?

@Seawalker: No, no umbrella…wasn’t THAT fancy 😆
    @4G: Was supposed to be a lady without a face in the restrooms at Jolly Roger, and at Waialae Drive In. Story continued that after Jolly Roger was torn down, the ghost moved to Kahala Mall basement restroom.

Honolulu Burger Company gives a choice of buns, or you can have it on a “lettuce bowl”, which is a salad of manoa lettuce with tomatoes and onions and dressing. The Blue Hawaii burger is my fav with blue cheese. I’m getting hungry. I think what I’ll make for dinner is a takeout order. 😆

There’s a new Teddy’s on Makaloa St. across from Don Quixote — back parking lot of Kapiolani Theater.

I like Teddy’s onion rings, but not the burgers — potato bun too squishy, so messy. Don’t like Big City’s burgers either for the same reason.

@Mark’75 – oh; and I’m glad I didn’t know that about the JR bathroom! 😉

@Mark’75 – “The Alley” at Aiea Bowl not bad. Not quite the same cause they little bit “upscale”. LOL.

@Mark – LOL Shirley Temple? On the rocks? Had it with an umbrella?

The original Teddy’s on Monsarrat would hardly qualify as fast-food. Even thou the burgers tasted good, it is so expensive. You feel guilty eating it fast, so you literally have to gum it in your mouth to get your money’s worth. And what’s up with those super-thick uncooked fries?

On Kapahulu Avenue where Hee Hing Restaurant is currently located was Kay’s Fountain. A full on soda fountain with the long counter and all. Sometimes while walking from Jefferson Elementary to Japanese School, we’d stop by and have a burger and drink. The first time I had a Shirley Temple there, I thought I hit the ‘big-time’ ❗ 😆

@khs68: Shoots! Next time! Thanks.

My favorites at Jolly Roger were the Terry Beef King and Cheesy Gal. Oh, and had to have Green River to go with that. Only thing at the Waialae one, was kind of scary to go shishi. Because the ghost from the graveyard was supposed to be in the bathrooms, always felt funny in there.

@Mark’75 – try the saimin and hamburger deluxe combo at Sekiya’s. Very ono.

Scotty’s!!! My first taco came from Scotty’s!!

W&M is still in business — gotta be more than 50 years now. The bbq burgers are still good and I love their “mock” crab macaroni salad. I’ll take W&M over McD, Burger King & JIB. I still love Wendy’s Jr Bacon Cheeseburger won’t give that up ever.

For awhile dad bowled Saturdays at Stardust Bowl. Again, the highlight came after, when he’d take me to Scotty’s Drive In next door. The hamburger and fries came in a blue plastic boat which was real neat. Chocolate shakes there were great too!

I liked the old coffee shops in bowling alleys. Dad was a bowler and every Saturday morning, he’d take me along to the alley. While he was bowling with his league, I’d be with other kids. Lost in our boredom at Waialae Bowl, we’d sit on the floor below the glass trophy cases. (was too small to play pinball games and didn’t have money anyway) There were smooth pebbles set into cement and we’d work a pebble loose until it came off. We then replace the pebble and start loosening another one.

The best part of the morning came after he finished bowling and we’d eat at the coffee shop. I thought the hamburgers and saimin there were the best. Especially the hamburger deluxe with tomato and thickly sliced raw onion.

I liked the coffee shop at Bowl O Drome too. It was good to go there not only after bowling but also after a football game at the stadium.

I wish we had a White Castle here. I miss those little buggahs. I tried the frozen ones, not the same.

Couples sighting.

Wendy’s and Burger King
    Dairy Queen and Bob’s Big Boy
    Grace’s and JIB
    The Colonel and Megs
    Ritchie and Teddy’s

Yes sir, hookups you don’t hear about in the paper. LOL

Diners in Kalihi. So whenever had the munchies, would swap food with them from the restaurant. They would pile it on, and so would we. Meg’s Drive-in. Good hot turkey sandwiches. Most time, it would be purchased. But had some bartering sessions with them too. Dad would always say the food QC is the hardest thing to do in the food business. I wonder why with the swapping of food? Somebody has to pay for it.

@4G… yeh… miss Kenney’s SuzyQ and slushfloats… wuz the best… also agree about the french fries were much bettah before they changed the type of oil…

Had a classmate who worked at the School Street McDonalds. He made friends real easy. Complete strangers who would go to his counter window walked away laughing. Come to find out the buggah was padding your order. You would order a big-mac, fries and coke. He would bag you an extra apple pie and slip you an extra bag of fries. Come to find out he never ever made employee of the month and was a lifer at the window. Never got promoted. But he had plenty of friends. Way to go, bro!

I think my first taco was eaten in Juarez, Mexico… wuz in the army then, stationed in Ft. Bliss, El Paso, Tx… used to go across the border all the time… everything wuz cheap there… but the taco I had tasted bettah than any fast food place now… aftah left Ft. Bliss and went to my first permanent station, Ft. Leonardwood, Mo. (Missssery)… used to go to the MacDonalds all the time… most affordable place… 5 hamburgers for $1 or 5 cheeseburgers for $1.25… the only good thing about being there wuz there wuz a gas war going on at that time… can you imagin… 9 cents a gallon…..

wen the first MacDonalds in Aina Haina came, nevah really like the burgers… ate so much in the Army…

I remember the first McDonald’s in Aina Haina. Though it was quite a bit out of the way for us, we begged our parents to take us there and they obliged. It was a big deal, all the way down to memorizing the Big Mac song (“Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun”). I don’t remember it being nearly as big of a deal when the other chains opened here.

I miss drive-ins like Kenny’s and Jolly Roger’s. I especially miss the Suzy-Qs and strawberry slush floats.

Personally, I think that one of the reasons for the demise of the small drive-in is that the mainland chains brought freshly made, hot fries consistently into the equation. French fries at the smaller drive-ins were a hit or miss affair – and mostly miss. Who knows how long they used to sit under those heater lamps? LOL.

McDonald’s fries used to taste a LOT better before, to me – before they changed the oil they fry them in.

To this day, when I have a burger and fries, I’ll eat the fries first (so they don’t get cold)! LOL.

The thing with fast-foods is that it is so unhealthy for you. So why does the government not regulate or inform consumers by requiring labeling like can foods. Ho, the other day, found a pack of soup-base in our pantry. That’s what is used for seasoning. I looked at the percentages. Under sodium, it read 676%. What? First thing I did was ask the wife if she was trying to get rid of me. Next thing I know before even getting an answer was being sent straight to the doghouse. I was just being curious and making sure… LOL

Rubbah Slippahs were $7. Told them no as WalMart has ’em foah under a buck. Thank you country bumpkins. LOL

For the Windward hui, Waikane Store has good fried chicken and sushi. Paid $10–where’s the kamaaina discount? LOL

Aw, come on… I go to Rainbow’s for the food and for the chicks! LOL

I don’t go to Zippy’s, I go to Rainbows for my plate lunch fix.

Had to try In-N-Out the last time we were in L.A. It did not rock my socks off. Take a Dodger-dog over it anytime.

Zippy’s is not fast-food. It’s a poor man’s fine-dining! Take the wife there at every chance. LOL

107. KellyK says:

I’m a Kapahulu kid. I miss Burgerland – teriburger w/ mayo…. but it’s long gone, so sad. At least Rainbow’s is still there. I still prefer the old mom and pop places over fast food. When I’m in Hawaii (I live in Texas), I never see the inside of fast food joints. Can’t waste time at those when I’m trying to eat as much local food as I can.
    In Texas, we love Sonic Drive-in (sorry, there’s none in Hawaii – yet). It’s designed to be reminiscent of those 50’s style drive-ins with carhop service. Some of the carhops even roller skate. You can eat “real” food but even better, they have a great soda fountain menu. We are there all the time in the summer for their slushes, shakes/malts, and sundaes.

MD fries, eh? Used to eat tons of ’em. I go for the crack (obviously)… LOL That starch coating sure makes it crispy and simply irresistible.

I don’t eat much at fast-foods, local or otherwise, anymore. But I gotta tell you, I think there’s crack in McD’s fries cuz just one swiff and your brain goes into that “I gotta have some” mode!

Worked at Zippys for 2yrs during high school. Makiki was just being built when I left, so I was at the “Main Zippys”.

Mentioned this before, plate lunches were 70 and 80 cents. Went up to 90 cents. Then… ONE DOLLAH! Who going spend ONE DOLLAH on a plate lunch? Are the nuts?

LOL

No kidding: I remember when Jack In The Box first opened in Hawaii, they wrapped their burgers in paper lined foil wrappers. There on the wrapper edge was printed a small square logo of a checkerboard, and the words, “Ralston Purina Company.” hmmm…

Have the caloric-count at the McDonald’s menu board now. Took the kids there for breakfast while da wife was working out. Ordered 2-platters–a big breakfast with pancakes and a local deluxe with the spam and pordagee sausage. Gave the kids a pancake each. Nah, we split it 3 ways–LOL. Man, those platters are almost 1,000 cals each. What’s the saturated fat and sodium counts? Guess if you’re a fast-food affectionado, you’ll be content dying like that. Is it lunch yet? Burger King, double-whopper here I come!

OT. Happy Bird-day, Rod! A man who is 10 time nicer IRL!!!!

Applied to work at Mickey Dees at Waikamilo once. Got turned down. Ended up at the Canery and lasted 3 whole days. It means MDs only saw something and would only hire the cream of the crop. Whatevers.

I still say Costco should start selling fries. They would make a killing along with the hot dog and soda deal going. I know I would order french fries if Mr. Kirkland decides to add it on their menu.

Wait a second, I eat J-I-B tacos all the time. Can’t say I love it, but try eating 6 of ’em. You’re full till the next day. LOL

When I worked at ABC long ago, prices of cigarettes were under a buck. Now, it cost over $8. Inflation? Nope. Price gauging? You bet. How does a man enjoy his smokes at that price?

117. jaydee says:

My first job was at McDonalds in Waianae, right across the street from Army Beach. I lasted there two weeks. The manager kept bugging me to cut my hair after I had already cut it! Nah, laters brah!

@sally: The rumor was that the meat inside the tacos at JIB was horsemeat. lol

Decades ago I bought a taco from JIB, it was the grossest thing ever! It had the consistency of a mochiko chicken… greasy, soft, and horrible. *blech* “Aren’t tacos supposed to be in a crunchy shell?”.

Thanks to jaydee, now I know why!

When McD’s opened, my daddy went and bought Big Macs for all of us. It was good, only because it was so “Mainland”. That was an exciting day!

I still, however, would rather have a burger from Ilima Drive In. lol

When I worked in Kalihi in 1986, we’d go to the Taco Bell on Waiakamilo. The drive-thru window pickup is on the PASSENGER SIDE! It’s still like that 27 years later. Too funny.

My family doctor’s office was where Zippy’s Makiki is now. Next door was Ilima Drive In, same owners (the Ueharas) as Ilima Catering.

My mom always took me for a burger after getting a shot at my doctor. It was the best burger with their own secret sauce.

In 1969 my brother worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken. He always came home with a bag of leftover chicken so I don’t ever remember going there LOL.

I remember a Dog House in Kapahulu, I must have gone there but don’t remember. I know C0hiba remembers it.

*Where is that guy, anyway?* 🙂

Rainbow Drive In was our Fast Food choice.

My parents moved to Aina Haina in 1967. When the first McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts opened in the Aina Haina shopping center, guess where I was all the time?

Off topic — I didn’t know Starbucks had drive-thru windows. I went to the K-Bay shopping center (first time yesterday) and there was this long line of cars blocking the parking lot — thought it was McD’s, but it was Starbucks!

125. eddyo says:

Good Morning Rod,

Food & Music–two subjects that are truly time machines! I was 9 before we had our first french fries. I miss seeing the big red roof coming out of the Pali tunnels, Chunky’s on Isenberg & even the Okazuyas scattered throughout Oahu. Do you remember when McD’s opened in Kailua? There was a traffic jam just to get into the parking lot! I think the biggest thing working against the local places was that these were the places that our parents took us to & had no exotic appeal like those places with outlets all over the country. Who would have thought in those days, local is best…

The first MD I went to was Aina Haina, wasn’t that the first one?

I once admitted to some friends that I had never had a KC waffle dog and they looked at me like I’d grown pink horns. I know they’re available again (somewhere in Honolulu), but with my wheat allergy, no can. I missed out!

The first McDonalds I remember was in Kalihi – right by the Royal Stamp redemption center. I didn’t like hamburgers until someone in my family thought to order me a cheeseburger. I’m the opposite of you, Rod – I have ALWAYS liked cheese. In fact, my family got me a “Cheesy Gal” t-shirt from Jolly Roger for me, even though I don’t think I ever ate there.

I miss places like Grinders in Kahalu`u and Tastee Treet in Kane`ohe. Grinders had really ono burgers with ono sauce (which I think was just Thousand Island dressing, but was still ono). And Tastee Treet had the best shakes. On the other hand, I really like Arby’s (even though I can’t eat there any more-wheat allergy). I guess I like have choices, but I don’t like how national chains are squeezing out local businesses.

Today I hardly ever go to fast food places, I try to eat healthier.

130. jaydee says:

I used to work at JIB years ago. The taco’s were frozen and we’d drop it in the deep fryer for about a minute or two. When it was done we’d put in the cheese and shredded lettuce. We sold thousands of those and I don’t know why. I rarely ate one mainly because it was deep fryed and the “meat” inside was suspect. lol

Happy birthday Rodney!

131. CTS says:

91 cents for a Big Mac and a regular fries 29 years ago!! I work a swing shift and once in a while I’ll stop at a 24 hour McDonalds for a late night snack. That combo cost about $7.00 today. I wonder what the cost of food will be 30 years from now. Makes me wonder if I’ll have enough money to eat in my retirement years if I’m still around.