Do You Remember… Soaps

In the previous post Mmm, You Smell Good

Sally wrote:

As I got even older I discovered I cannot handle a lot of smells. Tuberose, ginger, gardenia, and all those scented soaps, bath gels, & laundry detergents!

WWD?

Where are all the soaps that are just “soap”??? Everything has to be a flower or a fruit or not even a scented thing. What the heck does sunshine smell like? Different from moonlight?

I used Tide once years ago and my the scent on my clothes followed me around allll dayyyy long!!! It was gross!

Got me thinking about all the fu-fu kine soaps we use today.  Come on, admit it.  I saw you in Bath & Body Works buying 2 get 1 free or buying 3 get 2 free.  I was there buying some too.  Right now in the shower we have the White Ginger and Tea fragrance and the Love fragrance body washes.  I just finished off a bottle of the Dark Amber (manly) one.

But back in the day, we had only Dial soap for bocha.

Dial Soap
Remember that familiar foil wrapping?  Made you almost want to eat what’s inside.

The soap around the sinks for wash hands was Ivory.

ivory-soap

Nothing else.  Just Dial and Ivory.

Dish soap: Lux Liquid (with Dermasil)

Today we just happen to be using Palmolive (with Madge)

And growing up time, our laundry detergent was – sorry Sally – Tide

Tide

I remember our neighbors used Rinso and every time their washing machine would overflow, I could smell the Rinso soap.  It had a kinda oily smell to it.  Or maybe it was their clothes…

Anyone remember FAB?

Back in the day, my mom was loyal to her products.  She only bought one kine bath soap, one kine hand soap, one kine dishwashing soap, and one kine laundry detergent.  Or maybe it was because one of us was sensitive to different kind of soaps so mom just stuck with what worked.

What brand of soaps did you grow up with?  Was your family loyal to one or two brands or did they buy whatever was on sale?  Are there other old brands that you remember?  See if you can find a commercial of it and post the link.  Have any soap stories to share?

*************************************************************

Only about a month away.  I heard that the old Kahala Blockbuster store is now a Halloween costume store.  Get yours now for Disguise!

20131012thebeat

55 Responses to “Do You Remember… Soaps”

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Sunday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

4G & Ynaku: My “HE” washer is top loading. I like my clothes smelling fresh like it was washed so double the soap and two rinses every time, never mind I am not saving water, smells good and clean when I am done ❗ 😀

I remember a dish of guest soaps growing up. They were fru fru little soaps in the shape of little pink roses. I swear, no one ever actually used those soaps! LOL!

khs68 – your post about Shiseido soap reminded me about their old honey cake soap, which was clear and came in those plastic containers. My mom used to buy those as gifts for my baban, because baban was so difficult to buy for. There’s always a risk in giving someone soap because they might think you’re telling them they need to wash more often. :-

@Kailua Girl – what a good idea – netting across the top of the washer! Gonna try that.

@Rod – thanks for the link! It mentioned the scale model, too. That was awesome!

7. keoni says:

Eh DIO, is that what you’d call a “pretty pickle”? 🙄

8. keoni says:

@khs68 Thanks. I remembered there were dishes, but not the pattern.

9. DIO says:

Kage: “mile scents” 😆 I think that’s what they should refer to folks that want to pickle themselves in cologne, perfume, and/or deodorant, ’cause you can smell them a mile away. 😛

Good to know what you are all saying about the HE front loading washers. I was thinking about it when the time comes to replace my current washer. Think I will stick with the top loaders.

Oops that is supposed to be *mild scents.

Now days I use either Safeguard or Dove for Men. I do not like strong scented soaps so I try to find unscented as much as possible or mile scents.

Did any of you guys ever want to slice open the bar of Irish Spring? Every time I watched the commercial where they guy would take a knife and slice a piece off, I was fascinated for some reason. Each time I opened a new bar I wanted to slice it.

Growing up we used whatever was on sale. I do remember Dial, Safeguard, Ivory, Irish Spring. I hated it when Mom bought Cashmere Bouquet. I never liked that smell. When I moved out on my own I vowed never to use that soap again.

When I was growing up we used Camay soap to bathe and Rinso Blue for washing clothes. Then my mom changed to using Tide.
    I started using Cashmere soap cuz it was in expensive, my hubby likes Irish Spring and Dial cuz of the smell. Now that BBW have come out with all kinds of scents- like the fruity ones. The flower ones like pikake, hibiscus, etc… all too strong for me.

16. Ynaku says:

Thanks Linda Kato. I do the same but my wife doesn’t. I have to reason with her that it’s better to do ONE wash with extra detergent and rinse than to do a second wash.

17. Ynaku says:

Note to self: No use Irish Spring if you going meet sally 😀

18. Ynaku says:

Kailua Girl and KAN

When I had the front loader, I tried to leave the door open but since it swings out, we dump into it.

I now have a top loader and we leave it open as much as can. However like KAN mentioned, stuff falls into it 😆

Just need to keep doing a bleach run withhout clothes inside

Happy Friday the 13th!
    Happy Aloha Friday!

This goes way, way, back when Shiseido first came to Hawaii and you could only get Shiseido cosmetics at Shirokiya. I remember Shiseido had a face soap that was black and shaped in a ball. The black soap came in a red plastic container. My mom brought it home one night and I thought it was her bowling trophy so I was surprised to see her using it to wash her face. Kids, what the heck do we know?

The Irish Spring commercials used to crack me up…”Manly, yes, but I like it, too”.

@Keoni – Golden Wheat dishes came in the Duz box.

I remember watching Death Valley Days with my baban on Saturday nights. The Old Ranger always introduced the story and did the commercial for Twenty Mule Team Boraxo.

The right after that show, it was Have Gun Will Travel. “Paladin, Paladin where do you roam. Paladin, Paladin far far from home…”

Loved those cowboy shows. Yeeeehaaa!

Boraxo soap. I meant to mention this earlier, but forgot. Mention of it triggered a memory.

I don’t know how old I was, but must have relatively young. There was TV show that Boraxo was a sponsor of – something like “Death Valley Days”? Anyway, the show had something along the lines of “20-mule team borax”. It was basically a wagon train. I remember a model of that my dad and I built “together”. The reality is that I don’t recall doing much of anything. But, it was cool! My dad mounted it on a thin, long, rectangular piece of wood. Whatever you call the “reins” that linked the 20-mules together was actually like “thread”. It’s a fond memory for me ….

For the life of me, I can’t remember what happened to that model.

@Rod – you too funny! 😉

@4G – Yup, being the administrator does have its advantages. 😉

*btw, if you folks need me to edit a post, just email me.

27. NaPueo says:

I don’t remember what we used before. Whatever was on sale. Now I use Safeguard. When my mother bought a new washer from Sears, she got a box of soap a month free for a year. Don’t remember what brand.

we used ivory, rinso, and later Cashmere Bouquet… my mom used to use blueing with white stuff and also clorox… my white clothes were sparkingling until I went outside to play….

@M and Kan… Boraxo and Lava, so good to wash hands when working on your car…

Rod, I remember Camay… with the Cameo on the label. Don’t think I ever smelled it, now you got me curious.

I also remember a bar of Lava soap once in our bathroom. I thought it was soap with sandpaper in it.

We got a gift from someone, a soap version of potpourri using Cashmere Bouquet. It was all pretty, wrapped in netting and lace and fake flowers, etc and smelled really nice.

31. Kailua girl says:

Kan…it might be worth putting a netting across the washer.

@Rod – LOL! Must be nice to be able to edit your posts, eh? 😉

I remember when I was small, we came home from a church camp with sample bars of soap (one of the church members was a wholesale sales person). I picked up this sample soap called Camay. I loved it. After we got married, I told Paula to buy Camay soap for me.

This is how I remember it looking:

34. keoni says:

I remember a laundry detergent called Duz.
    Does anyone remember the dishes that used to come in those soap boxes?

What brand of soaps did you grow up with?

Bath soap was Dial. My maternal grandparents used to use Ivory – they had a bathtub (no shower). I used to think it was neat that Ivory floated. Is it true that it floated because it was like 99% pure? LOL. Somehow, I remember an early experience with Dove. I didn’t like it because it didn’t all “rinse off”. LOL.

Tended to be loyal to Dial and Crest toothpaste. I have no idea what laundry detergent we used – I suspect that was more subject to price sensitivity. I seem to recall Palmolive for dishwashing soap.

Are there other old brands that you remember?

I think there was a Phisohex that I remember for some reason.

Neutrogena

Like @M – Lava

Ajax, Pine Sol

Mr. Clean

Formula 409

@LK – not so “HE”, then, huh? Twice the amount of soap and two rinse cycles . . . . 😉

Though I think they are neat, I have a conceptual aversion to front loading washing machines. Something just doesn’t seem right . . . . LOL.

Good afternoon, MLCers ❗ Happy Thursday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

I think everyone used Dial soap and Ivory and Rinso for clothes (to save boxtops for towels). I still use Dial soap today but instead of Ivory, we use Dove soap for our face.

Ynaku: We have an HE washer but I put twice the amount of soap and put the load through 2 rinse cycles for every load since sometimes it wouldn’t wash well so I don’t think I’m saving much water. I leave the washer open when not in use so it always smells fresh.

When I was at KCC for school (MLC… Pensacola Campus) there was this oojie guy in class that showed up every morning (7:30am class) smelling of this new soap called Irish Spring.

By association, I cannot buy Irish Spring. lol

A couple of years ago (seriously… that long) I bought a big thing of Soft Soap from Costco on a coupon and it was super super cheap! Meanwhile I was getting lots and lots of B&BW soaps that were so pretty and most really did smell nice. Only recently did I start using them up and refilled with that 2yr old Soft Soap. To my pleasant surprise… it smelled really nice! Such a soft, mild scent and, because it is in a B&BW dispenser, feels like I’m still using “special” soap.

@Kailua Girl: I know what you mean about closing the washer’s lid. But if I leave it open, esp. at this time of year, there are eight-legged nasty things that find their way in there. And then I don’t do laundry.

41. Kailua girl says:

Ynaku…do you leave the washer lid or door open after you do your laundry? That might be the cause of the mildew smell. When we had the repair guy here at our house he said it was nice NOT to have my washer smell and that most people close the lid or door after using it…just a thought that might be the problem.

42. Ynaku says:

Lowtone123 That’s da stinky soap we had 😆

43. Ynaku says:

We used Dial and Ivory too. Later came Irish Spring and one other sticky soap.

Mom loved to use Rinso Blue. Now we use Tide cause smell better. Waste time cause we end up tossing in a Bounce dryer sheet after.

New topic later Rod. How you like the newer HE washers? Front Loaders or Top? Problem with mildew smell? Use less detergent and water but da wife says no smell clean. Me, I use more detergent cause I no like wash same batch twice 😆 Take out quick and dry. I used to hang clothes in Hilo but no can trust da weather. 😀

44. Lowtone123 says:

Growing up in a family of five with one paycheck we grew up with Cashmere Bouquet which was always on sale at places like Longs and Holiday Mart. Occasionally we had Dial and Ivory was a luxury of sorts.

I use Dawn soap to bathe my dog, it kills the fleas too.

Lava soap, for the real dirty hands.

Reading my comment again, sounds so monku yah? LOL!!! But seriously, I cannot handle smells, even if they are nice smells. MLC Hazard.
    Ivory Soap was our soap. For bath and at all the sinks for washing hands. There was one by the laundry as well, with the washboard and tawashi, to scrub collars and stains before washing.

Laundry detergent was Rinso Blue.

Shampoo was Lustre Creme in the jar.

I also remember 20-Mule Team Borax.

Mom used to buy Cashmere Bouquet soap almost exclusively when I was a kid. She’d occasionally buy Irish Spring if it was on sale.

When I first saw the title of today’s post, I thought it was about soap operas!

What laundry detergent was it in which the guy in the tv ad said only “I like da package?” And was that guy in the commercial Jose Jimenez, aka Bill Dana? I’m getting so MLC.

50. Kailuagirl says:

Oooooh, I loved that Dial wrapper. My grandmother used Rinso. I use the Tide pods, it’s so much easier than measuring anything! Oh…and Ivory was also used for washing out our mouths for saying “shut up”. Pretty tame compared to what you hear people say THESE days! Hmmmm, parents need to start using that Ivory again! LOL

What brand of soaps did you grow up with?
    Ivory Soap. We used Ivory for everything, bath, dishwashing, laundry (Ivory snow). I even got my mouth washed out with Ivory soap.

My grandma used to use Pine O to clean the bathroom. I can’t stand the smell.

As a treat we would get to use Avon bubble bath sometimes. My favorite was tis strawberry one. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTMxMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqVHJE4FBmM8d2W9BQm3tBiCHw~~60_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Was your family loyal to one or two brands or did they buy whatever was on sale? Ivory was the brand of choice.

Are there other old brands that you remember? Spic and Span, Shout

See if you can find a commercial of it and post the link. Have any soap stories to share? http://www.flickr.com/photos/excard1970/8742531088/

I don’t remember what kind of soap we used small kid time. Now we use Kirkland laundry soap or whatevers cheap.

Good Morning! My all time favorite is the Apple scent from Bath and Body which they don’t have anymore. Back in the day when B & B was only on the Mainland I used to bring home ton’s of that stuff, I got lucky a couple of times at the outlet store and it was buy 3 get 3.

54. jaydee says:

Yup. Dial and Tide growing up. Now I can’t stand the smell of Dial. Don’t know why, maybe we just used it so much I got sick of it. lol

Now days we use Irish Spring and Costco brand laundry detergent. We may start using Whisk though. The clothes don’t seem to get as clean with the Costco brand.