Do You Remember… The SkySlide

I remember it.  Although I never did ride it.  🙁

skyslide

I remember the one at Gibson in Mapunapuna.  How could you miss it as you entered Mapunapuna from town side and it was right in front of you at the Ahua street intersection.

I also remember the one in Kalihi.  IIRC, it was in that Dillingham parking lot is – where Sizzlers is (or was).  Because I remember going to a Checkers & Pogo carnival there.

And I heard that there was one in Waipahu too, although I’ve never seen that one.  I think the above picture is the Waipahu SkySlide.

I remember when we’d be on Dillingham Boulevard heading for GEM, and we’d drive past the SkySlide.  I’d see the kids running up the stairs holding their burlap bag to slide down the 20-story high slide.  Okay, maybe it wasn’t 20-stories high, but it looks 20 stories high when you’re just a small kid.

And we’d see the kids sliding down with their arms up in the air and screaming and laughing and having fun – while my dad couldn’t wait for the traffic light to turn green so we wouldn’t be seeing the fun we were missing.

skyslide1

I remember talking with friends who were lucky enough to experience the SkySlide.   They would tell stories of how the SkySlide would have to shut down when it rained because the burlap bags would get stuck – after going down one ramp, you’d have to push with your arms and scoot your okole to get to the next down ramp only to get stuck again at the bottom of that ramp.

Do you remember riding the SkySlide?  If you saw one today, would you ride it?  Which SkySlides did you ride on?  Care to share any SkySlide stories?

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

This is it.  It’s still not too late.  You don’t have to come in costume – but it’s more fun.  See if you can find me.  😉

20131012thebeat

26 Responses to “Do You Remember… The SkySlide”

1. Johnny says:

This may sound weird but I did a random Google search looking for giant slide in Hawaii in the 1970’s and found this page because I was 4 while living across the street from Waikiki Beach in the early 70’s and remember seeing thing giant thing on tv.

I remember getting so excited asking my parents if we could go. We never did but I always went nuts when the park was advertised on tv and I saw all those kids having so much fun.

JZ

• Rodney says:

Thanks for sharing your memories with us @Johnny. Like you, I never got to ride the skyslide either. When we drove by it, I used to stare at it in awe and think how much fun those kids were having.

2. Pilialoha gurl says:

Yes… Remembering it so well! Used to be Next to Wigwam store… in good ole days in Kalihi.

3. Andrew Dow says:

We lived up Aiea Hts and went to the Waipahu and Gems. The little red haired boy sliding down one on the old commercial was me!

4. JadeLee says:

I was just thinking bout da big ole sky slide and memories coming flooding in of exhilaration and fun, wow I miss that slide, I wanted to surf the sky slide but the employees always made you have to sit and grip the little burlap mat thingy they provided, the freedom of childhood!

5. Cindy says:

I totally remember the Checkers & Pogo Sky Slide in Waipahu when I was a kid. I used to ride it with my friends back in the late 1960’s … such fun! Awesome memories!

@Hawaiian by heart – Howzit! And welcome to the MLC blog. Thanks for checking out my blog and commenting. Nothing like memories from the old hanabata days like you mentioned.

If you’re on Facebook, check out the Midlife Crisis Hawaii page too for more memories and pictures from the Good ol’ days.

7. Hawaiian by heart says:

Aloha Howzit?

Loved the one in Waipahu, my auntie used fo take me. Sometimes i remember not getting the barlap sack completely under me Auweee! Burn City!

P.S: Rodney bruddah, Mahalo for the blog. I haven’t been home since the 80s. You and others have helped me remember alot of hanabata time and brought me home in my spirit and heart. Mahalo again

@cmo – yes, Checkers & Pogo

9. cmo says:

I remember seeing the Skyslide on TV on Checkers & Pogo, and wishing that I could try it. It was a great fun & nostalgic rush seeing a skinnier Checkers & prettier Pogo at the Disguise Halloween Party this past weekend!
    On the Big Island, we did have a steep (metal?) slide at Honoka`a School park. And there was a notoriously long one at Kukuihaile School (just before Waipi`o Valley). I remember at some point a nail or two sticking up a bit on the slides. Maybe that’s why I don’t see any of those types of slides at schools anymore. Recently I’ve seen giant blow-up water slides at birthday parties, some have more than one “lane” so kids can race down, like some did with the Skyslide.

@mows – “we don’t need no stnkn brakes.” – too funny!

That electric go-kart track out west side looks like fun! I’d link to make it out there one day.

11. mows says:

Whoa that was one luxury. Got to ride it only once that I can remember at one Checkers and Pogo event at the Gibson’s one. I remember that Waipahu one had one go kart track behind it or along side it that we would go to when I got bigger. That was another luxury that I only went on a few times but got good (or crazy) enough to hold the pedal all the way down the whole time. Brakes? What brakes….we don’t need no stnkn brakes.

I just rode one a few months ago at an EK Fernandez carnival. It’s not as wide but looks about the same height. Was fun but my butt wsa sore from falling down rollerblading earlier that day.

Happy Aloha Friday!

Wow, the skyslide…what a rush! I rode the Gibson one several times.
    Checkers & Pogo played this music in the background while showing kids going down the slide on TV:

took my kids to the one in Waipahu… had to ride with my young one… wuz fun!!

I used to go to the Mapunapuna one all the time. It was fun! Would I ride it now?? Yes!

oops, correct sentence to read….. that’s the way I am ❗

Haven’t had my coffee yet ❗ Still jet lag from our trip…… next trip will probably be for Valentine’s Day, we love all the gifts given out free in Vegas there ❗ 😀

Good morning, MLCer’s ❗ Happy Thursday ❗ 😀

Have a great day ❗ 😀

Saw the huge slide here and there but never rode it. I’m not the adventuresome type….. I prefer to read a book (boring), I know, but that’s they way I am ❗ 😀

I rode the Mapunapuna one (I think that was the original one) several times. Was okay – basically a giant sliding board. After the first few times, the truck up the stairs was a pain in the a**. LOL! 😉

I never rode one. Not sure I would have even given the chance because I would’ve been too scared (always been afraid of heights).

I rode the Gibson one a few times. I swear it was 20 stories high at the time. I remember them having Bumper cars there too, they called it the Crazy Crash Cars.

Would I ride it now? Maybe if my nephew wanted me to go on it with him, or maybe M and I could race!

Checker & Pogo Skyslide… only caught glimpses of it from the car. When the kids were little, I paid for my BFF and her son to take my daughter on it at the 50th State Fair. (same thing with ferris wheel)

Would I ride it now? NO! lol I cannot even ride the Skyline (is that even still around?)

22. Lowtone123 says:

The picture above is the one that was in Waipahu on Farrington Hwy. We went there because we grew up in Pearl City. My friends and I also raced down the slide to see who could get to the bottom first. I didn’t know they had one in Kalihi but I rememeber they had one in Mapunapuna.

Opps, I would race my friends going down

I rode the one in the Gibson parking lot. I would ride my friends going down.