H.B.P.

High Blood Pressure.

It was creeping up on me.  The drugstore blood pressure testers had me marked in the per-hypertension range.  But someone told me that those things might have a tendency to overstate your blood pressure – to get you to possibly buy some kind of medication from the drug store.  So I took those measurements with a grain of salt (pun intended).

But last week I went to a physical for work and guess what.  I somehow skipped the pre-hypertension stage and went directly to the Hypertension stage.  I did not pass Go and did not collect $200.

My dad had HBP too.  I remember him telling me that one time he stopped at the fire station where they give free blood pressure tests.  After his reading, the fireman asked my dad “How are you still alive?”.  That was the turning point where my dad started controlling his blood pressure.

As for me, I don’t want to start on HBP meds.  I heard that once you go on them, you can’t go off of them.

I’m trying a holistic approach and drinking Hibiscus tea.

hibiscus tea

And since I have a Dr. appointment later this week, I’ve been working out on the elliptical machine.  Only 2 miles and 15 minutes of exercise – but it’s a start.  I want to see if blood pressure will drop after a week of exercise.

And I’ll have to start watching what I eat.  Limit the salt intake of course.  I was never one to add salt to my food or put shoyu on my rice.  If anything, it was Tabasco sauce in my food.  But even then, I don’t think there is that much salt in Tabasco sauce.  Plus, you can’t overdo it with Tabasco sauce like you can with shoyu.

And I’m sure that watching my diet along with exercising will help me drop some pounds.  Ideally, I’d like to drop 20 lbs., but I’ll be happy with 10 lbs. as a start.

Do you have High Blood Pressure?  Maybe you had it before but was able to bring it under control.  What worked for you to bring it down?  Have you heard of other holistic remedies that might help reducing HBP?  Like hibiscus tea or garlic pills.

***************************************************

20131129 Magic Mushroom III

25 Responses to “H.B.P.”

1. cmo says:

Catching up w/MLC posts…I have HBP and high cholesterol. Up through maybe late thirties I had neither. I’m almost certain it was eating out more and more that was a huge factor along with family/genetics catching up.
    I got used to and now love eating the Steel Cut Oatmeal (Costco) for breakfast with soy milk or fat free milk and blueberries or strawberries or bananas. Cranberries also are great in it but probably have more processed sugar. Now Costco also sells sliced almonds and that’s an awesome topper.

I don’t think I have sleep apnea, but I’ll check with Paula how I’m sleeping. My doctor gave me water pills and pills for my asthma. I also bought a blood pressure monitor and it seems to have gone way down over the last couple of days. Or maybe the blood pressure monitor is just very forgiving.

Odd that because I’m under quite a bit of pressure this week at work…

@Kahaluu kid: Hubby had high blood pressure and was taking medication. Then he took the sleep apnea test and now wears the breathing apparatus at night — good for me no snoring but it’s like sleeping next to Darth Vader. His blood pressure gradually went back to normal range and doctor took him off hbp meds. Guess his hbp was related to sleep apnea.

4. Kahaluu kid says:

Do you snore? Do you stop breathing whn I sleep?
    Feel tired a lot. Headaches? Could be sleep appnea.
    Doc said blood pressure is related to that too and mines went way down.
    Ask your wife to observe you when you are sleeping and see if you stop breathing in your sleep or gasp for air.

5. jaydee says:

Sorry, late to the party as usual.

I Have HBP; I’ve had it for several years now. I was shocked when I found out because I ran 4 miles a day and went to the gym 3 times a week. My weight has been the same for 20 years now, right around 160lbs. I guess it’s just one of those things that can happen to anybody no matter how healthly their lifestyle. I take one BP pill a day, low grade medication, and it’s no big deal. Liek you said, it’s a silent killer. Better to take the medication ince a day then not wake up one morning!

My unprofessional experience on going the “natural” route with herbs:

First thing you need to know is what type YOU are… Yin or Yang. Herbs work in opposites to balance your body. If you are a Yin and take a Yin herb, you will do more harm than good. You need to take a Yang herb to balance. If you will indulge me here, Rod, I’ll share my personal experience.

I am a Yang type. Always hot, as well as other classic Yang traits. I was told that ginger is good for inflammation in the body (arthritis, sore knees, other “itis” problems) so I started drinking ginger tea from fresh grated ginger. From the first day I noticed I was extra hot, perspiring more, and just not feeling right.

Ginger is a Yang herb, I should be taking turmeric, the Yin herb for inflammation. Lesson learned.

When I discovered this, it made perfect sense that ginger helps me profoundly when I am really sick, because my body state changes and it brings me back to my original Yang state.

I shake my head at all the FB doctors that say this or that will cure you before they even know what/who you are.

Be careful peeps!

@Rod: Could be some truth to that headache/HBP thing. Knock on wood, I have not had a single migraine nor vertigo attack since I dropped some poundage. And you know how regularly I used to get them. It’s been about 6 mos now.

BTW, you CAN get off meds. I’ve seen it done. But it takes hard work and dedication.

Thanks for your concern folks. The thing about HBP is that there aren’t any symptoms (well, not really) so people don’t tend to take it seriously – until it’s too late. That’s why it’s called the Silent Killer. I only recently found out that headaches are a sign of HBP. I notice I’ve been taking a lot of aspirin lately. Uh oh…

@Dion Glenn – Hi Dion! Thanks for joining us here on the MLC blog. Whatever happened to the old days when we used to eat whatever we wanted and not worry about it affecting our health? Maybe it’s natures way to keep us young? 😉

10. snow says:

i have white coat syndrome… my blood pressure is usually high when i first get to the doctor’s office but it will usually go down after i sit there for a while. if i am relaxed, my blood pressure is around 120/70. stress/anxiety can be a huge factor in raising your blood pressure. take care, rod. there is no magic bullet but watching your diet and exercise (as i should also do!) will surely help!

11. kellyk says:

my husband had high blood pressure after trying the atkins diet once. he ate oatmeal (steel cut) every day and otherwise watched what he ate (as suggested by others here) and brought it down enough so he didn’t have to take meds.
    recently I heard about a study that beet juice has a near immediate effect to lower blood pressure but I don’t know anyone who has tested it and if it helps long-term. here’s the article about it: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20121212/beetroot-juice-blood-pressure. good luck, rod, take care of yourself!

Happy Aloha Friday!

13. Dion Glenn says:

Oh yes, exercise and and a low fat diet helps! Good luck!

14. Dion Glenn says:

I have HPB and it’s the genes in my family. I am a triathlete and when I am in heavy training I can take my low med dosage every other day, rather than daily. I am not the typical HPB person but have learned to control it.

been on HBP medication for a year now… I’ve brought it down to the lowest dosage by trying to eat better and exercising… since I’m retired this is now my new job, exercising… good benefits!!! Life…
    be careful about eating some wonder foods… it might work but for how long… moderation is the key… easy to talk, hard to do!!! my boss use to tell me “if it taste good, spit it out, it’s not good for you… ” only now I believe what he said…
    just like all the bad habits you learned, need to turn it around, it is tuff but think of the benefits… LIFE
    @masako, m, sally, volleymom2… keep up the good work!!!
    @kan… you lucky!!!

I had HBP in my forties and was shocked, it took awhile to sink in. Well, it runs in the family and I am skinny.. but I realized it was what you eat ( didn’t know back then… only the salt issue). I take med only for HBP, its under control. My problem is high cholesterol- my weakness are sweets ( pastries and fettucine). So cut back on baking, too. I do the treadmill, but since I re-injured my knee (from dancing) , I have to layoff the machine. I really want to get back on the tread mill, that really helps me.

sally is absolutely correct. 🙂

Ironic how I thought it is expensive to eat healthy, until I realized how expensive it is to eat junk.

Yes, we all know how much a bag of chips cost now. Or a box of Loves Mini Donuts.

Bananas at Sams Club is $1.68 a bunch (cheap, for Hawaii) and the fastest snack I know of. I even freeze it then make banana “ice cream” from it (blend w/ Nutella).

Hypertension got the best of me over ten yrs ago. Doc kept telling me that even a 10% drop in weight would improve the HBP numbers. So what did I do? I GAINED weight. Well, not on purpose, but that thing about cortisol is for real.

Went on meds, and it’s been a journey since then.

There are many drinks, teas, herbs, potions, and pills out there, but please do not think they are your salvation. Nothing NOTHING replaces eating smart and getting your cardio and exercise in.

Drink your drinks… as an enhancement, not a cure.

Rod, welcome to the real MLC!
    When I started to SUP years ago I dropped 20 lbs., I change my eating habits, brown rice, more salads, more veggies, more fruits, less red meat, less fried foods, no processed foods, no sodas, more fish, whole wheat, no plate lunches, no fast foods.
    My blood pressure is good, under 120/80, my pulse is about 60, my colesterol is about180, my blood sugar is about 95. My doctor said that my vitals is like a young man and I just turn 60 years old.

Good Morning. I can relate to this because I have high blood pressure. Right now I’m on medication and my pressure ranges between 110/80 to 140/80.

Recently my dad bought me a machine from Costco so i’ve been checking my pressure at various times. Things that I notice, when I wake up to an alarm, when I don’t get enough sleep and when I’m stressed out my pressure is high. On days that I get to sleep in and get my eight hours of sleep or after paddling I wake up with normal pressure. Most of the time at bedtime its high. Sometimes I take it and its high then I focus on relaxing and when I take it again its lower. When I was in the hospital it was always high.
    One thing that lowered my blood pressure to the point that I got to stop medication was when I ate a vegan and vegetarian diet. In fact all my medical problems went away. It came to the point where I couldn’t handle that diet plus working in a kitchen with an awesome cook makes it hard to follow a diet like that so my numbers did rise a bit.

I try and eat lots of vegetables and have cut back on sugar, deep fried foods and meat, and no more shoyu on the rice or li hing power on the pineapple. I know I should exercise more.

Let us know if the Hibiscus tea works.

@Rodney: I know someone whose experience was like your dad’s. My friend’s doctor stared at him after taking his blood pressure. When my friend said “WHAT?”, his doctor said “I’m just waiting for you to drop dead in front of me.” (Incidentally, what kind of doctor says that???) My friend not only started taking blood pressure meds, he stopped letting small-kine stuff bother him so much.

I don’t have HBP, thank goodness. I’m not sure how/why I don’t have HBP since (1) it runs in my family and (2) I’m a high-stress kind of person.

I am gasagasa and I walk and exercise a lot. I don’t know if that helped me or not.

Dunno how true it is, but some say relaxation techniques like meditation and/or yoga help ….