Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Kung Hei Fat Choi

Happy Chinese New Year!

On Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 – we usher in the year of the Horse.

Horse

Born: 1918, 1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002, 2014

It’s your year, so expect revolutionary changes, immense profits and heaps of good luck! Excellent financial deals will be struck this year, but perseverance and vigilance will be required. You may run into obstacles early on, but keep calm and carry on with your best – the more thorough you are, the better your opportunities. Stay modest, treat people around you fairly, and your freedom-loving, adventurous nature will help you charge through a smooth year ahead.

Goat

Born: 1919, 1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003

2014 will be a good year for the kind Goat, as a burst of exuberant energy will provide a myriad of opportunities to showcase your talents, and improve relationships with leaders and peers. Change will be inevitable, so go ahead and try new things and chase your ambitions. Research and networking will help, so your social nature should help you excel. You can expect much windfall this year, but manage your money wisely and stay away from get-rich-quick schemes.

Monkey

Born: 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004

Major, life-changing decisions will likely be made this year for the quick-witted Monkey. Lady Luck will smile on you, especially in business endeavours, but do not be gullible and fall prey to unscrupulous folks and risky investments promising instant rewards. As the saying goes, all that glitters is not gold – your rewards this year will come from consistent hard work. So, while a simple savings plan may not be sexy, it will certainly be wise.

Rooster

Born: 1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005

In 2014, the industrious Rooster may see mixed fortune and radical change. There will be opportunities for a career change or to branch out with your own business venture, but be prepared for a lot of reworking to achieve success. Don’t dwell on the past – it’s a year to move forward and make decisions without procrastinating. Finances may be fine in the beginning, but investments may disappoint this year, so avoid additional borrowing and spending.

Dog

Born: 1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006

The fortune for the steadfast Dog keeps getting better in 2014. As a power year to develop and hone your skills via additional education or training, the friendly Dog will become a highly valued team player, and develop helpful connections while exploring new career directions. Disciplined money management in the first half of 2014 will enable you to seek financial opportunities in the later half, but thorough research and planning is necessary to protect your interests.

Pig

Born: 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007

The caring Pig is in for a good year with many auspicious happenings. Sincere and outgoing, you will easily make new friends and market creative ideas. Relatives and collaborators will help you achieve great things in your career, and your hardworking nature will open unexpected doors. Any business ventures will be favourable, and careful investment will help you make money. Keep a tight rein on yourself, though – you may be tempted into spending extravagantly and impulsively.

Rat

Born: 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008

For the tiny yet ambitious Rat, 2014 will be a year that races full speed ahead. This is the year where you will have the power to get to places fast, achieving your goals while standing out in the process too. However, every race has its dangers – you must carefully manage your time and activities to avoid burning out. There will be many financial opportunities, but you must fight to acquire it. Nevertheless, thoroughly analyse investments and money matters, which must be handled with utmost caution.

Ox

Born: 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009

For the stubborn Ox who prefers stability and security, 2014 will be full of suspense and marked by transformation. It may be hard leaving the familiar, but the Horse will pull you along, so learn to be more flexible and adventurous, and let go of the old that no longer works for you. If progress seems slow, stay focused – apparent obstacles may be new opportunities in disguise. Good friends and wise mentors will guide you onto the right path, especially with financial advice.

Tiger

Born: 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010

The powerful Tiger may find itself bristling in restlessness – while 2014 may bring a major positive turning point, the beginning of the year may be mediocre before picking up to a dash to the finish line. No matter the challenge, stay calm and positive. When things are out of your control, just go with the flow and your luck will be strong. Generally, financial wealth will be very healthy and will come to you in various forms this year.

Rabbit

Born: 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011

The gentle Rabbit faces a hectic year with much change on the horizon. Go with the flow and don’t resist. Keep a low profile to avoid possible clashes at work, but don’t be intimidated and do trust your intuition – unexpected events will work to your advantage. The easily stressed Rabbit must take time to rest, though, after frenetic schedules. You may be travelling and spending more this year, but the enjoyment you receive will deem it as money well spent.

Dragon

Born: 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012

The fiery Dragon must learn to be open-minded and compromise. Slow progress and unforeseen delays in projects may annoy you, but take it as a chance to review ongoing plans – open discussion will yield new and fresh perspectives. 2014 could be financially challenging, as pursuit of your dreams may cause you to overextend your resources. Be wise and focus on consolidating debts, saving more, and protecting what you currently have instead of trying to reap extra profits.

Snake

Born: 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013

After a tumultuous 2013, 2014 will bring the shrewd Snake mixed fortunes that brings good luck in all aspects, yet requires much handling with care. For the ever-frugal Snake, this will be a good year to expand your business, but do so wisely – decisions made now will chart your course for many years to come. However, you must carefully work out a financial plan and stick to it religiously to evade monetary losses.

Do you celebrate Chinese New Year?  Although I’m not the slightest amount of Chinese (My last name, Lee, is Korean), we still celebrate Chinese New year.  Or consider it Lunar New Year since most all Asian cultures celebrate it.  I won’t be popping firecrackers or having a feast with relatives, but I did pick up a tub of Toong Mai (puff rice snack) that I’ll be enjoying while watching the Super Bowl on Sunday.  Might go to Ala Moana on Saturday to see the tons of Lion dancers going around the mall from store to store.  And maybe get some manapua and rice cake for lunch.

Busy weekend with Chinese (Lunar) New Year and the Super Bowl.  Kung Hei Fat Choi and Go Broncos!!!

95 Responses to “Kung Hei Fat Choi!”

How do you say in Chinese……The Broncos Suck?……hehe

Kung Hawks Fat Choi!

3. keoni says:

I’ll buy that, DIO. 🙂

4. DIO says:

Lasts until you cannot remember there was a crisis. 😆

5. keoni says:

Hey, got a (awmost serious) question:
    How long does da Mid-Life Crisis last? Anyone know or got one opinion?

6. keoni says:

Mahalo piha fo’ all the nice birthday wishes everyone. Had a great time with my friends in Waipahu. Toured Plantation Village and then had lunch at Highway Inn grinding on poi and butterfish collar in ste gravy. Broke da mout’!!!

@Keoni: A Happy Belated Birthday to you ❗ May you have many more ❗ 😀

Good morning MLCers ❗ Happy Sunday ❗ Happy Chinese New Year ❗ Happy Super Bowl Sunday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

While we are having this intermission…..thought I would share how we love OUR Islands…..in a song. One of my favorites.

I remember Makahiki ……….Hawai’ian by heart!

As far as Chinese new years favorite treats for me would be….

Pot Stickers with Hoisin Sauce! …Yummers!

11. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney,(whispers) Pssst uncle come here, guess what I found while surfing youtube. Quiet, I promise we won’t tell paula, here.

A little new year luck lol, you went to school with her right? Who wouldn’t have a crush on her?

@Seawalker: WOW, now this I gotta try!!! Thanks!!!

13. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

Wow that sounds so ono

Glad this year Chinese New Year is on a different weekend than the Punahou Carnival. Sometimes it is Chinese New year, Punahou Carnival and Super Bowl. Hard to eat till you drop on consecutive days!

Eh @Mark, you know what kine noodle would be winners? A solid portion of crispy gau gee over e-mein. The pipin’ hot one with all the veggies mixed together in gravy and topped off with char siu. Not with chowmein, not with cakenoodles, not with soft noodles, but the real McCoy, e-mein. But how come they charge $1 more for substituting at the restaurants? Man, this would sure go good with the BBQ at tomorrow’s game.

KUNG HEI FAT CHOI everyone!

17. hawai'ian by heart says:

Sun Nien Fai Lok, Kung Hie Fat Choy- Happy New Year and May you become prosperous! Aloha

18. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney,

Bet you guys didn’t know that the Native Hawai’ians had Makahiki, this season was the ancient Hawaiian New Year festival?

Today, the Aloha Festivals (originally Aloha Week) celebrate the Makahiki tradition.

For more info?

Hau`oli la hanau, Keoni! Many happy returns of your day!

kung hee fat choi… happy new years… and good health to all… and happy birthday to my fellow oinker…

21. keoni says:

True DIO, but my friends live in Waipahu, so we’ll head back there.

The Lion Dance was always my favorite of course!

We used to go downtown to these celebrations. You might enjoy this video I just found from last year.

Chinese New Year 2013 – Honolulu, Hawaii – The Year of the Snake

Happy Birthday Keoni!

25. hawai'ian by heart says:

@keoni

Happy Birthday uncle.

26. hawai'ian by heart says:

@keoni

Im right with you on the culture, In fact the hula and hawaiian culture saved a mining town in japan from economic ruin, when coal wasn’t used for fuel anymore. So they taught the local miner girls how to hula and opened a hawaiian resort. Saved the town. To this day they are popular.

27. hawai'ian by heart says:

Happy New Years, May the new year bring you luck, prosperity and joy my kama’aina bruddahs and sistahs. Mahalo for the joy you have brought me the last few weeks.

28. DIO says:

keoni: Don’t forget, there’s a Highway Inn now, over in Kaka`ako. 🙂

Happy New Year Seawalker! My E-mein master!

30. keoni says:

Mahalo, Seawalker. However I tink I going stay seven, I’ve grown comfortable with that age! 😆

Well, happy 8th bird-day, Keoni! Don’t forget the noodles now. Noodles bring long-life in the Chinese culture.

32. keoni says:

Tomorrow is my birthday, so a friend and I goin go to the Cultural Center for the festivities and then back to Highway Inn fo’ grind on Hawaiian food. How’s that for cultural integration?!

33. keoni says:

Hawaiian culture is very big in Japan; there are at least as many hula students there as here in Hawai’i (maybe more?). And where would our lu’au foods be without such standards as chicken long rice, etc. I think Hawaiian culture has been enriched by the Chinese and others who came here.
    Excuse, please, gotta go. Have a sudden craving for tea egg! 🙂

34. hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G

Mahalo, that brings great joy to my heart. I only want to be lost geographically when I go home. 🙂

So are you celebrating CNY 4G?

Just my opinion, but someone claiming Hawaii is not different, culturally, than the mainland obviously doesn’t know what he/she is talking about.

For me, I prefer not to waste my time and energy trying to convince such people otherwise . . . .

I will admit, though, that things are changing and becoming more “mainland like”, but it is still different – at least, as of today.

🙂

36. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

I agree its funny, even to this day I talk to lolo malahini and haoles(none racist meaning) who while living in Hawai’i to this day claim that asian influence or the culture is minimal. I had one tell me yesterday because he didn’t know about CNY then it couldn’t be all that big and important?

O.T: I have always believed that there is two types of people in Hawai’i. Those who live on the islands and those who live in the islands. Its sad to admit that it appears that those who live on the island have finally out numbered those who live in the islands(locals, etc).

Maybe its just me? Maybe this is the MLC we talk about? I remember how strong CNY was and asian culture was as a kid, i mean wow i was raised on kikaida, godzilla etc etc, grew up respecting asian culture. But to hear people today talk about how Hawai’i is no different then the mainland culturally wise etc etc. It tells me something is majorly wrong. Sorry to rant. Just passionate about stuff.

37. hawai'ian by heart says:

@keoni

E’Aloha kaikua’ana, Lokahi pono Ikaika. 🙂 (i need practice lol)

Keoni – I have the advantage of speaking Japanese – I speak no Hawaiian, so we’re even!

39. keoni says:

@Kan Interesting info about the zodiac. Mahalo piha.

40. keoni says:

Eh Kan, dat just proves my Chinese/Japanese stay pilau – no can remember da title! Mo’ bettah I stick wit ‘olelo Hawai’i, yeah? 🙄 😆

And, Keoni, it’s “maneki neko,” or beckoning cat. I think that’s a Japanese tradition, although they may have gotten it from the Chinese. Some Japanese regarded cats as being bad luck.

@keoni – the 12 Chinese zodiac animals represent those to visited the Buddha on his deathbed. Their arrival order determined their order in the zodiac. The rat caught a ride with the ox, then jumped off early and ran ahead to secure his place in the order. The cat, on his way to see the Buddha, was distracted by a mouse and never made it there. That’s why there’s no cat in the zodiac.

I agree DIO…………including all of the gold mines in California during the California Gold Rush. I have visited that very large area many times. I know it well, and have spent much time studying this history. I have great respect!

44. DIO says:

Not just in the islands, but a large part of the world, including the relatively new USA, when it was still being settled. Chinese helped build roads and railroads, mined during the Gold Rush, and did all kinds of other things.

The Chinese influence in Hawaii has been awesome! For over 150 years! Very hard workers and helped grow our Island home. God Bless you ALL! Now that deserves Respect!

46. keoni says:

@ DIO Dat was a good one! 🙂

47. keoni says:

Yep, Mark, no harm meant. Hope I no offend anyone.

48. DIO says:

You know what they call that at the lunchwagon? The Meow Mix Plate. 😆

You know we always joked about dis!……lol It was like a tradition. No harm intended. It was no my joke!

50. keoni says:

Yeah Mark Shelby, I can just see that now – char siu meow, meow mein and the beloved meow fun! 😆

It’s too Yummie?…….hehe

52. keoni says:

One ting I stay wondering – why they no have a year of the cat? I mean every Chinese restaurant have the mano neki, so why did they leave that out of their zodiac?

I think I will also have to grow a Goat~Tee……to celebrate Chinese New year!……hehe 😉

54. hawai'ian by heart says:

@M

lai see = Lucky money? Yes?

55. The BC says:

Seahawks baby….!

56. DIO says:

keoni: I think that makes you a little piglet. You’re the youngest one here. 😉

57. Pam says:

That’s really baaaaaaaD!!!

So I guess this Chinese New Year I should celebrate by drinking some goats milk now that I know!…..hehe….. 😆

Hi, I’m Mark and I was born in the year of the chicken. A CHICKEN ❗ I enjoy going to Chinatown during Chinese New Year for the festivities and FOOD!

60. keoni says:

@DIO Would you believe I was born 2007? No? But in my mind I stay 7 years old! 🙄 😆

61. keoni says:

@dihufan OINK! 😆

I have a picture with them, the Narcissus ladies…

Da Narcissus ladies in their ‘cheong sam’ and sashes were walking around taking pictures with the shop owners last week. Don’t think they grind too much ‘gau’ judging from those tight fitting dresses they wore.

Oh, I forgot – I do have the red Chinese good luck banners up. The one on the front door stays only until 15 days after Lunar New Year, the other ones in the house stay up until Dec. 31, when they get replaced.

@Rodney – my office has Seahawks’ fever, and I’ve caught it too.

66. DIO says:

Oooh, I should try and see if i have a recipe for Jin Dui. I’m getting cravings for that.

Whether you celebrate or not, Happy Lunar New Year to everyone.

67. DIO says:

keoni: Year of the PIg? You mean you were born in 1995? 🙂

Kung Hie Fat Choy, cantonese, May you become prosperous
    Xin Nian Kuai Le, manderin, Happy New Year
    Sun Nien Fai Lok, cantonese, Happy New Year

I’m going to paddle Sunday during the game. The beach is going to be empty.

@Masako – Go to Chinatown the Friday night before the Maunakea block party. That’s when the Lions go store to store and the stores have their long strings of firecrackers.

@KAN & @PA – Ah, you guys saw that reference to the Broncos, eh? 😉

@Keoni… fellow pig… it’s a pleasure to know another… hope everyone has a really good new years!!! stay healthy…

We are going back the Cultural Plaza Friday night for the festivities.

Spock the lions and experienced the fireworks in C-Town last week. And the Club Hubba Hubba sign was lit up too!

Good Morning.

I am a Ram. Not a goat…hmph….*hands at the waist*

Just kidding.

I like gao, but don’t want to buy one because I will have to eat it all myself.

I have had jai only a couple of times and I like it.

I do not like Chinatown when it is crowded. I usually go to the Splendor of China to get my moon cake, gao, jin dui, etc fix for the year. I hope they have that exhibition again this year.

76. kailua girl says:

Hmmm, I must have missed this part of the memo! “the ever-frugal Snake,”
    Gung Hay Fat Choi!

My mom gives lai see to the grand kids…

78. hawai'ian by heart says:

And just in case some have forgotten how big chinese new year is in Oahu? Or just takes it for grantted(which happens) Heres a reminder.

Chinese New Year 2013 – Honolulu, Hawaii – The Year of the Snake

Celebrating Chinese New Year 1/18/2014

OT: I aways tell newcomers who think they want to move to Hawai’i, that one of the ways of being successful in the transition from mainland is ones ability to assimilate or adapt different cultures. I believe this is one reason why I love home and it people so much.

79. hawai'ian by heart says:

Ok ok im a dog, I admit it! :-), I remember always loving Chinese New Year in Honolulu which was a huge deal when I was a keiki. For several years I remember huge fireworks going off in Ala Moana Park. Like what M said ” Back then they burned more firecrackers than today and the firecrackers were bigger and louder”. Loved the lion dances. I barely remember gau and Ja, and if im correct, isn’t there a parade?

With a sad heart, ever since I moved to Oregon Kung Hei Fat Choi isn’t a big deal, maybe a few lions in Portlands Chinatown. 🙁 Enjoy the day for me guys.

Ok just in case anyone wants to know whats happening this year? Here you go.

2014 Lunar New Year Schedule of Events

@sally – LOL! Can you say identity crisis? 😉

Kinda off-topic, but kinda related, too. I didn’t know there was a “flower zodiac”, too. LOL.

Maybe I’ll go get some gau.

Kung Hei Fat Choy!

I spent a good portion of my life believing I was a monkey, then found out I was actually a billy goat. If you birthday is in January or February, check this out…

Masako is right about my moms Jai and gao, what you thought was good is not any more after you had my moms. Masako is trying to learn from my mom but it’s not easy and it takes 2 days to make Jai and my mom uses no measurements and nothing is written down which makes it even harder. I can’t wait to eat Jai…. 🙂

My brother who lives in Kona has a lion dance club, the only one on the Big Island so he’s really busy every weekend for a month or more doing lion dance all over the whole island.

I remember doing the lion dance on Maunakea st. going from store to store and the firecrackers. Back then they burned more firecrackers than today and the firecrackers were bigger and louder. Besides the three story high string of firecrackers, they threw packs at our feet and that made us dance. I remember the street was covered with red paper from curbing to curbing, the whole Maunakea street was red.

Next year I want to go see the Lions go around Chinatown to the stores, I hear they pop firecrackers.

Good Morning! I’m a Fire Horse! I’m told that way back when they would kill any females born during a fire horse year because they were hard to manage. I don’t think so!

Although I am not Chinese (only married to one) I always liked to go to the Chinatown festivities. I’ve always liked Gao but I didn’t appreciate Jai until I was older. Now that i’ve tasted my mother in law’s gau and Jai, i’m spoiled, what I used to think was good is no longer. I used to like those candied fruits and vegetables from that store in Chinatown. This year we got to see one of those shows with the Lions climbing up these poles, that was really cool. Another Chinese New Year tradition is eating hot Jin Doi. I’m hoping to go to Cultural Plaza this weekend for the last of the festivities until next year plus eating my mother in laws Jai and Gau.

I found out not long ago that my kung fu master is now a buddist mock in a temple not far from where I live and I will try to locate him.

89. keoni says:

Well, I’m a pig!! No, no, not dat kine pig (although some may have thought that of me :lol:) I was BORN in the year of the Pig!
    I may make it to some of the festivities. If not, can always catch some ono food gere on the west side.
    Kung Hei Fat Choi everyone!

I’m a snake and we went to Maunakea st. last weekend like we always do every year. Long long time ago I was in a Lion Dance club, back then there was only 2 clubs, today there are dozens and dozens. The club is still around today and I always try to seek them out. Just my hearing the drumming, I can till if that’s the club that I uise to belong to from a distance.
    We will go out for dinner Friday and Sunday have Jai and Gao.
    Xin Nian Kuai Le (Happy New Year)

Oooh, Rodney, you and I are on the opposite ends of the Super Bowl cheering sections.

I won’t celebrate Lunar New Year per se, but I am (still) trying to clean out areas of the house that I didn’t get to before Jan. 1. (I’ve gotten through about 6, which is about half of the spots on my list, so that’s pretty good.)

I will get some special treat for the ancestors, and I may go see some New Year festivities in the I District over the weekend.

92. JindoMaster says:

Actually Chinese New Year 2014 is on Friday, January 31. But then again, that would be Saturday, February 1 on the other side of the International Date Line. Kung Hee Fat Choy.

Lessee – I can count the number of times I’ve been to Chinatown for Chinese New Year on one hand. But, I like candied fruits. LOL.

Used to get gao at work, but the guy that used to bring it retired. 🙁

First!