Da Kine… Pidgin

pidgin

In my previous post, cmo suggested maybe a pidgin post.  Thanks for the blog topic idea!

Speaking pidgin was something we all learned from small-kid-time, albeit unconsciously.  It wasn’t until quite recently that I came to my own conclusion of how or why Pidgin English came about.

My theory is that back in the days of the plantations, when our grandparents or great-grandparents came to Hawaii to work in the plantations, they didn’t speak English.  They only spoke their native language from where they immigrated from.  And because of that, they lived in “camps” based on ethnicity.  For example, there was the Portuguese camp, the Japanese camp, the Filipino camp, etc.  And everyone could communicate with each other fine and dandy provided they lived in the same camp.

But it’s when they tried to talk to another person from a different camp that didn’t speak their native language, that they had to come up with a neutral or common language that they could both understand.  And thus was born: Pidgin English.

There are some words that I use that I didn’t even know was pidgin.  For example, “bobora”.  We used it as a slang to refer to Japanese tourist.  But I found out that it’s a Japanese word meaning “Pumpkin”.  Or so I thought.  Actually, it’s not even a Japanese word.  It’s pidgin!  It’s based on the Portuguese word abóbora which means Japanese squash.

And I also found that it’s not only the words that makes up Pidgin English, but it’s also the structure.  For example, ever heard a sentence ending with the word “was”?  Like: “Da finga-nail clippah? – ova by da TV was“.  It took me a little while to grasp what the person was saying.

Let’s see how many pidgin word, phrases, or sentences we can come up with.  Let me get started with:

• Bumbye – means later on okay (wea you heard dat befoah?)
  • Bocha – take a bath
  • Da kine – can mean anything
  • Bobora – Japanese tourist, pumpkin
  • Buggah – usually referring to someone or something
  • Fut – fart
  • Shaka – I don’t know where this word was derived from.  Could it be “shocker”?
  • Howzit – How is it
  • Lai dat – Like that
  • K-den – Okay then
  • Right on da kinipopo – Exactly
  • How you figgah? – How’s that?
  • Make A – Make ass, embarrassed
  • No scared ‘um – Don’t be afraid
  • Wasamatta you? – What wrong with you?
  • Wassup Wit Dat? – What’s up with that? or Bruddah Lance’s blog
  • Try come, Try wait, Try help – Asking for your cooperation
  • Like beef – Do you want to fight
  • No act – Stop being boastful
  • You goin’ get slaps – Usually follows “No act”
  • Lickins’ – Discipline – usually from your faddah
  • Faddah – Father
  • Maddah – Mother
  • Brah– Bro

K-den, wattchu get fo’ add to da list?

665 Responses to “Da Kine… Pidgin”

Kalapana 25th Anniversary

Sometimes….you jus have to rememba.

Kalapana / Mackey Feary & Nite Life ♪ Everything Is Love

Macky Feary died way too young! He was born in 1955 like me!

God Bless dis good Braddah who is no longer wit us! He may have had some hahd times. But he had a good heart. Remember these good times? Where were you when you heard this?

Nightbird (Mackey Feary)

More good memories……..I know off topic. Juss had to shea…

Cecilio and Kapono sunflower

Sorry they not talking Pidgin……hehe

…Enjoy! And rememba our good old dayz!

One of my all time Favorites!

Cecilio and Kapono – Home (And I’m Staying This Time)

I have this album in my house!

Same Cover!

Remember the good old dayz?

Keola and Kapono Beamer – Honolulu City Lights

One more favorite…..gotta shea…..again. The essence of Hawai’i

Keola Beamer, “Ku`u Home O Kahalau`u”

Hawai’ian by heart……..night marchers……now that brings back memories. I remember all kine stories of the night marchers! As one little Keiki…..I was in awe! I bet these stories are not being passed down now. That’s why we are losing our culture.

I get one teaa braddah!

UA MAU KE EA O KA AINA I KA PONO O HAWAI Translation: The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness

IZ: UA MAU KE EA O KA AINA I KA PONO O HAWAI ……

Nite Braddah……..Hawai’ian by heart

Listen to it in da morning.

12. Hawai'ian by heart says:

We will have mo time for talkstory later brah. ttys.

13. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Mark Shelby

Know exactly what your saying, and if your in tone enough you can feel those who walk beside us too and our ancestors. Why do you think hawaii has such focus on folklore and talkstories of obake, nightmarchers, etc, etc. Its because there is an belief in the unseen and afterlife worlds, unlike our western culture.

Hawai’ian by heart….Thanks!….was looking for my favorite song of our Aina. To share with you.

Nite Braddah!

15. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Nite bruddah, lets talkstory more on this later ok? Got to work in da morning. Aloha Mahalo

Hawai’ian by heart……one of my favorite hikes. Up Manoa Falls.

I would take a whole day and walk slow. I would listen to the stream. And the birds.

I saw ancient Hawaiian Lava Rock Stepping Stones. And I saw cleared off flat ground where huts could have been.

Right next to the stream with clear fresh water, I believe in ancient times they had a village there.

Nobody sees these things……except for those who care for the Aina and take the time to search and notice.

17. Hawai'ian by heart says:

We are not separate but interconnected with aina and each other. Every rock, tree, has mana. There is an unseen world. Teachings of the red road(native americans) and huna ways (old hawai’ian ways)

Hawai’ian by heart….that’s right……that’s how I grew up. I believe this and lived like this.

At the heart of Hawaiian values is the concept of Malama ‘Aina, to care for the land. These words are very strong and present with Kanaka Maoli people who practice their values every day. Many non-Hawaiians who have lived close to this precious land for a time have also come to deeply appreciate this way of being.

At least some people care! There are more website about this.

This is a WWl War Memorial!

How can any government let a Memorial go to waste and disrespect the people who died to keep us Free!

20. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Your smart den because there is alot of healthy, healing mana in da aina of Hawai’i including Oahu. And da only way you can really feel it is to dehaole(lol best term) and be aware of da old ways of thinking.

Hawai’ian by heart….I used to swim in dea as a kid! My hero Duke Kahanamoku was the first one to swim in it, as a tribute to his Olympic success! I watched it go into decay all of these years. It’s really sad.

I always tried to teach my children my old Kamaina ways. So they could learn. And love and enjoy OUR Islands!

23. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Yup to bad they let the Waikiki_Natatorium_War_Memorial go down da toliet

In later years….I always got the mini Kalua Pig at L&L on Kapahululu. And I would take my kids down to the Natatorium where I used to play in as a kid. And we would have a pic nic. And watch da waves and da sunset! They always loved it!

And sometimes I would take my son surfing at Tonngs from dea!

25. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

I must of lived on Kapahulu fo about 4yrs of my life, right across from the zoo. Even went to Jefferson Elementary School for awhile.

Hawai’ian by heart…Both Those! Dats my old stomping grounds!!!!!

27. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Suggest it uncle, ive seen ono grindz threads on here before.

28. Hawai'ian by heart says:

I know the first two things im doing once i get of the plane. One heading to kapahulu blvd to lenards to get malasadaz and goto rainbows to get moco loco. 🙂

Hawai’ian by heart….did you eva tink you could get recipes on MLC? Maybe we need one Hawai’ian Recipe Thread!….hehe

Chee Hoo!

30. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Sounds ono

Sorry….dats…… Tosta Oven!

Home made cheap kine recipe…..one slice sourdough bread or moa. Pour four cheese Del Monte Spaghetti sauce on top. Add one slice peppa jack cheese! Wow!

Add one slice Pork Sausage on top. Add more sauce. Den add red chili peppas!

20 mins in da oven……you stay grinning Braddah! Fo Cheap!….hehe

One son and one daughter……was juz getting one snack from my kitchen…..Home Made Pizza bread from my toata oven! Yummers!

34. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

You should be proud, it sounds like you raised two smart young ladies? Anyway if you no want to talkstory den nite it iz?

35. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Yeah we guud faddahs have to make sacrifices. My kieki waihini just startted college. Last time i was home was 80s

Hawai’ian by heart…..way too long ago. Last time was 2004.

I had to stay hea in San Diego and raise two children. I am an empty nester now. So it’s time fo me to go home! But I used to take dem home every Christmas and Summer!. My son is going to UH right now because he loves Hawai’i so much, because I taught him. My Daughter graduated from Chaminade in 2008. She went back home to Honolulu fo College. Now it’s time fo my return. I did my time as one good Fadda!

37. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Oh i agree 100% not same same lol. the 70s was like the last old local Hawai’i generation from what i have heard.

Hawai’ian by heart…I know you did….you commented on them. Because you Keaa!

39. Hawai'ian by heart says:

When the last time you was home mark?

Hawai’ian by heart…..LOL……I jus started listening and talking to Pidgin much younger in da good old daz of da 1950’s.

In da good old daz…..pidgin mo different and accurate of da original time period Braddah.

Todaz Pidgin is NOT da same.

Some people tink it is…..but itz not!

41. Hawai'ian by heart says:

I did read and saw the ones you and i postted.

Hawai’ian by heart…remeba all the pics I showed of Waikiki in the 1950’s and 1960’s?

I wish folks would go back and read da old threads. Some good info dea! I took plenty time foa shea!

43. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Plus i think you were older wen you left Oahu den i was? Your pidgin alot better lol.

44. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Still ive seen Oahu in your time and it was gorgeous. 1950s even better.

Hawai’ian by heart…..I am only 15 yeaz older dan you. Not dat long. But plenty changes in dat time dass why……

46. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Seawalker

I assume you where in highschool in da 70s while i was small kid?

Hawai’ian by heart….yes Braddah! We Same Same!

48. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

Nite auntie.

Catch you guys on the flip-side. And I don’t mean manong-side.

50. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Seawalker

Were you could runaround da whole island as a kieki and not worry about being on da milk carton. Da only worry waz the small island phone lines if you were to kolohe.

@Hawaiian – I get it. Pakalolo “daze” LOL

52. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Seawalker

Yup back in da guud ol dayz kieki ritalin waz guud pokalolo lol.

53. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Mark Shelby

Believe you and myself same except your older, but yea i miss da guud ol dayz too.

@Hawaiian – Dude, those were the daze, no? Ten bucks could buy you a movie ticket, a soda, and a popcorn. Nevah have the Internet like today. If you took your lady out on a date, a movie was real special. Then, you head on out to Ryan’s or Stuart Anderson’s to grab a bite afterwards. Son-of-a-gun, too bad you only live life once.

55. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

I was born 1970, im a kikaida kid, changie, changie lol

Seawalker….thank you. My family always had big parties and everyone waz always invited. Way bak from da 1960’s, we always had Wigwam Store Employee parties at our house on Diamond Head for all of our employees. Those were da good old dayz of large family Luaus! Everyone one waz family back den you knoa! You have no idea how much I miss those good old dayz of Hawai’i….!

57. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

No fair brah, Im too haolefied, been on mainland way to long, you guys first pidgin i hear in alot of years. My olelo hawai’i far better and im out of practice lol.

58. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

Eddie Murphy in “Raw” was da bomb. How about silverstreak or stircrazy with richard proyer and da haole guy? King Kong and Airport 76? I saw at Waikiki 3. Saw da opening of star wars at both Cinnerama and toho. Rememba attack of da killa tomatoes! or da omen?

They did make a porkys 2 i believe?

Okay @Mark. You are very generous. Thank God there are people still like that in this world.

We need to have an MLC Reunion in Honolulu one day…….whea Everyone can ONLY Talk Pidgin!

….hehe

We can make one Luau. Can burry da pig in da back, I get plenty land out back.

Den we can vote foa da bess Pidgin Speaker of all time! And he gets da Prize!

Whatz da Prize?

I will open my home foa diss……oah we can do one Waikiki Hotel ballroom. But my house stay free.

Maybe one day…..

@Mark Shelby: Make that “hakuna- nomatta”. Mo pidgin ladat.

@khs – you are funny, sistah!

@Seawalker: You naughty boy.

@Hawaiian – Don’t remember that one. But I’m sure the other old-futs will. All I remember about Waikiki #3 was this man who was playing with his organ before the movie started. And he got paid for doing it too! LOL

@Hawaiian – You remember Porky’s when it came out? Man, they need to make more or those movies. Either that or Eddie Murphy in “Raw”. That was a gasser. Think I caught that one at Marina. I saw Greese at the Downtown theatre.

66. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

Da waikiki 3 was da one wit the palmtrees and sky ceiling etc. Da one in da IMP was on da top floor of da market and was very small. It was 70s.

@Mark Shelby: Hakuna-no worries. I’m 5 foot three, no chi chis, you can guess I’m Japanee. That teacher was Japanee too. He was what he was and did it to everyone no matta wat you were or where you came from.

I Get EM………

Oahu’s Closed Movie Theaters ……….

@khs -k den, I stand corrected. can’t do it with the mani! 😆

70. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

I know brah, in fact i have a thread on closed movie houses on another site, but we can never know everything.

@Hawaiian, you sure that wasn’t Waikiki #3? It was right next to the IMP.

@Seawalker: Wimmens use klennex to drill because we no like screw up our manicures.

One time this person was talking and a piece of hanakuso when drop on the table. Everyone gave the disgusted look. Me? I live for those moments. I just told him it’s better than earwax. You don’t know how long it’s been fermenting in the ear! 😆

khs68….you must be Filipino……just guessing. But by what you are saying, It seems to me that he was dissing you by using the term Balut. In today’s world he could be fired for that. He was using Balut as a slang term to demean you, from what I can tell. That’s Awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have gone to the Principle and Reported him! I would never allow discrimination of anykine!

Especially since I one Haole! You have NO Idea how many times I had to stand up for myself against da hatred!!!!!!!!!!!!

75. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

I rememba kapahulu, waikiki 1&2 and 3, Varsity, Cinnerama, Toho, Empress, Liberty, Queen, a few more. I was just hoping and wishing that da tourist industry overlooked just one small theater?

There was also a movie house in the international market place, could never remember its name.

Yeah, but try seeing one hairy hanakuso flying across the table right in front of you. Wat to do? Make like you no notice? Flick da buggah away with the napkin? Aish!!

Hawai’ian by heart…..I posted all of the closed Oahu theaters a few threads back. Remember? I can try to look them up again. But it’s hea on MLC fo Posterity……in another thread.

@khs – LMAO! Have to admit, guys are the nose diggers. Women, they use kleenex as to try blocking you from any drilling action.

79. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

Worst is da long one dat wont break, just hangs there lol

@Mark Shelby: My chemistry teacher at Kaimuki used to call us “crazy baluts”. Then he would go into this lenghty explanation of balut. Da nerve he call us dat just because we not paying attention.

Me too!…..LOL

Hawai’ian by heart…..Mo easy crack one regula egg on da stove…ya?

No Feathahs!!!!!!!…..hehe

@hawaiian – not too many left. Since I’m guessing you’re 15 years younger than me, here’s what I ‘memba. Royal on Kuhio (Indiana Jones) gone, Kuhio (Batman) gone, Waikiki 1&2 (Rocky) gone, Waikiki 3 (Fast Times at Ridgemont High) gone, Cinnerama (Star Wars) gone, Varsity (Hai, Mr. Miyagi) gone. I even went to the movie theatre at Kam Shopping Center as a youngster to see the Sound of Music.

83. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Ive eaten some exotic things in my life, but you would never catch me eating Balut, no way man.

@Seawalker: Worse is wen one hanakuso with a hair attached flies out of the nose. I only spectated — neva happened to me.

@Seawalker: Plus, da nose all red and dey flickin’ their fingas.

Does anyone hea rememba the Balut Man of Kalihi?

He would walk around Kalihi in the early to mid 1980’s with his Styrofoam cooler, converted to a hot box full a Balut for sale!

He used to come into our parking lot at our Marsh Company Home Furnishings, next to our old Wigwam Store on Dillingham Blvd. And he would keep yelling…..Balut! Balut for Sale!!!!!!!!!!!

He was da Balut MAN!!!!!

So I would go out and buy one for everyone one of our Filipino Girls working in our back office!

It was so fun watching them enjoy eating their fresh hot Balut! I am Serious! These Balut grossed me out though, once I saw wings and feathers!……LOL

But I knew that they jus loved them! And I had so much fun sharing these with them and watching their smiles!

BALUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“ball huggers” Jordache jeans, not your standard Levi 505 loose-fitting ones

88. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

So uncle just wondering, any old theaters left in Oahu from our time?

@khs – you know how you can tell when somebody when dig? They’re trying to clear their sinuses afterwards as to say ‘I’m free as a bird’.

Skid marks – evidence of “residoodoo”.

“dog-Shit” one lucky buggah, sometimes it’s better to be lucky

“no-$hit?” are you serious? no kidding?

“dip-$hit” a real klutz, a full-blown lolo, boarder line idiot

@Seawalker: Be cool. Just dig ’em wen she not lookin’. 🙂

95. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

Oh uncle your killing me, i haven’t had a real icee in so long. A li hing mui and lychee sound good, or just mango. Ya cherry(never had strawberry) and coke is always good. Think coke surup is thicker.

@ksh – LOL, re-surgitation could also come in the form of a burp. After eating those cuttlefish, you tank away a Sunkist soda. But in the process, you burp and the fumes comes out your nose. Holy smokes, there’s pieces of cuttlefish in your nose too. Not a good thing to have happen to you.

Seawalker….LOL….I also rememba manook…..was one Pidgin Slang for a Filipino in the very old days. Your Father was actually correct! But he was moa from the old dayz! But he get EM! I’m Serious! I have heard Manook since my childhood in Hawaii since 1955. That’s a really old term, but time period correct! And it was used by many at the time.

“book-book” slang for manong, poor Filipinos!

@Seawalker: Re-surgitation can also be applied to wen you drink too much and you vomit same time from your nose and mouth. 😯

100. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

Thats a company i haven’t tried yet, im always open to trying something new. Im trying fo da first time Li hing mui pineapple this mth. Sounds ono? Mahalo auntie

@Mark – LOL, my faddah, he couldn’t pronounce manong. So he always said it manook! My doorbell actually rings, “maaanooong”. I kid you not.

When I first ate Cuttlefish Legs. First I wen go smell um….and I went YUK!

Den I wen bite EM and I went OH WOW!……LOL

@Hawaiian – You know what was good with those octopus / cuttlefish legs? A super big ICEE. Talk about freezing your noggins. But till this day, I cannot figure out why strawberry was more watery than coke? Maybe it was wise to put the coke in the cup first, and then fill the rest with strawberry. Good to have one of those along with the pupus again.

manong
    (mah nung)

Definition: slang term used to describe an individual of Filipino descent.

Used In A Sentence: Bertram stay one manong or wot?

In English?: Do you know whether or not Bertram is Filipino?

I can feel a Frank DeLima Joke coming on right hea!……LOL

@Hawai’ian by heart: Try the Wholesale Unlimited Fried Cuttlefish Legs. Not so chewy and hard on the teeths, but full of stinky goodness. And, no forget to refrigerate after opening.

I rememba dis khs68…….LOL

khs68
    February 23rd, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

@Seawalker: In McCully, dey used to say, “pakes so tight, dey squeak when dey walk”.

107. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

da smoked ika legs brok da mouth guud too.

@khs – man, feels like getting slapped on da head a second time. Friggin’ contractor, when we were building, he said Pakes make good boxers. Huh? Try look at their fist, it’s always closed.

110. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

No color, da red ones hot eh? Yeah i still get an order of seed shipped to da mainland every mth. Da closest i can find to Yick Lung is Da Crackseed Store.

“cho-cho lips” big-ass opening to da mouth!

Ahanakokolele to me. Politically incorrect.

Pake joke: How come pakes so rich? Because they always suck seed.

Goiter eyes – somebody with beeg bulging eyes.

In h.s., I knew a family member of the A.C. Lyau seed company. Dang @Rod, he said he must’ve been voted ‘most likely to succeed’. In your face, Seawalker! 😆

116. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Ok someone take my pidgin licence away tonight, to tired to think stright.

Howzit wit my brudahs, sistahs, aunties and uncles?

@Hawaiian – da red ones or no color? before beef jerky, it was cuttle fish

@Seawalker: das right dat too! 🙂

119. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

Fo real dem cuttle fish legs Buggahs guud.

@khs – re-surgitation happens when you slurp it down the wrong pipe (lungs) and you cough. but it cleans out your hanakusos, no? LOL

121. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Pressin obake da real!

“$hit-face” when you consume a 6-pack of Primo. Darn those cuttle fish legs, makes you real thirsty

@Seawalker: das called “heat repeat”.

124. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Obake = Ghost

That would be a good topic, Hawai’i superstitions? Face it we are a superstitious people, especially our aunties or tutus generation. I no jok about dat, ive seen obake in Hawai’i. Chikn Skin!

goes in hot, comes out hotter: what happens when you grind a dozen Chicken Alice hot wings!

Re-surgitation – when you sneeze and saimin noodles come out your nose.

“me no sabe” I don’t know

128. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Scoops! lmao haven’t heard that one in forever.

“s-s-s-t-t-t” standard Filipino greeting, a mating ritual maybe?

Make beeg body.

“oi-sho” what comes out of those old Japanee ladies’ mouth when they stand up

“I no kid you”…..
    (eye no keed you)

Definition: I’m serious; I’m not kidding; I am in agreement with you
    Used In A Sentence: Ho, I no kid you.
    In English?: You’re absolutely correct. I am in complete agreement with you.

“rad” Surfer speak, happens when you see something outrageous

“gives you that oomph” Okolehao, straight-up

“football, Hawaiian style” 4 downs to make a touchdown and gotta be 2-hand touch

all i’m seeing is numbers since working on my tax return this afternoon. good to see words with MEANING for a change.

das why hard
    (das why hahd)

See that’s why hard

😆 give you da thrills, yeah?

“Da Haps”…….
    (dah happs)

Definition: the happenings; events; what’s going on
    Used In A Sentence: Wot’s da haps dis’ weekend cuz?
    In English?: What scene are we headed to this weekend?

@khs – that’s deep, real deep… 😆

OK-den this is really ahanakokolele…minah vagina. 😳

@khs – us Magoos, we prefer Big Hunk… you are what you eat!

@Seawalker: but snickers is bust’in with nuts. no kidding 😀

@khs68 -sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. Mounds got nuts! 😆

@Keoni – If you get, you get.. if you no get, you no get (hehehe)

Ok-den. What do you call a guy standing around with his hands in his pockets? Feeling nuts. Ahanakokolele.

147. keoni says:

@Seawalker You going make me blush, fo’ shuah! 😆

148. keoni says:

@Seawalker Did you tell him, “Wat brah, tryin?”

“slap da monkey” Google that one too

“choke da chicken” you gonna have to Google that one

“ring your alas” heard that from Bumatai

“cut da fut” my brother-in-law attempting to talk pidgin with me

“jump up and fut then” sarcastic for… way to go, bro

“going on a Buddah hunt” remember singing that at Frosh camp

“minah, brah” don’t sweat the small stuff

156. keoni says:

Aue, I stay so kolohe!

@Seawalker: Ahana-okolele

158. keoni says:

In da kine, right Seawalker? 😯 🙄

@Seawalker: 😉 I’m a Mccully girl das why.

“pu-in-sai” if you don’t get this, you don’t deserve any

161. keoni says:

Aw-rite! We wen hit 500!!! Da rest stay icing on da cake (or gravy ovah da rice, whichevah you like!) 😆 😆

and duck ass, @khs68, that’s some sweet okole!!!!

@Seawalker: “meat scraps” = residoodoo. McCully speak.

still cracking up over some of yours, @khs68

165. keoni says:

Shoyu = Soy sauce (Japanese term)

Ho brah, you get da Aloha shoyu? (Dis da proper way fo’ say soy sauce in Hawai’i!) 😆

“rush ’em” to go after something, we go rush ’em tonight

@Seawalker: 😆

atta boy, Keoni, talking like a real surfer 😆

“meat scraps” when you grimace and let one out, but little bit do-do follows

170. keoni says:

jam = play music (other meanings too)

Eh Keoki, we go Ledward’s house an jam, yeah?

“silent but violent” it comes out with silence, but it smells alright

“loud and proud” let ‘er rip

173. keoni says:

chicken skin = goose bumps

Eh, wen I hea an Aunty Genoa song, I get chicken skin, brah!

Dig nose – stay home wid nothing to do.

Off topic but fun to rememba….

I am watching the closing ceremony of the Olympics and Al Michaels was just on.

Do you remember Al Michaels from the late 1960’s in Honolulu, and his announcing UH games and High School Football games at the Termite Stadium in Moiliili? I still rememba dat voice!

What fun memories of all of the High School football games I attended!

GO! Black and Gold!

Burn – similar to wop yo jaws. Again, McCully speak.

“Howzit Braddahs”……

How are you guys doing!

“Humbug”
    (hum bug)

Definition: a bother; nuisance
    Used In A Sentence: Ho, so humbug. You no can do ‘em yourself?
    In English?: What a nuisance. Can you not take care of it on your own?

But cannot help – phrase used at the end of a negative statement to show concern. “She really stoopid, but cannot help”.

“Stink Eye”…….
    (steenk eye)

Definition: dirty look; snake eye
    Used In A Sentence: Eh, no geev me dat stink eye Junior before I geev you dirty leekings.
    In English?: Don’t you dare give me that dirty look before I punish you.

“Spock”
    (spock)

Definition: look; see; check out
    Used In A Sentence: Spock um out!
    In English?: Hey, take a look at that.

Cowboy pants – jeans. Okay, this is wat my baban & the udda old aunties in the camp used to say. Again, McCully speak.

“Scoops”
    (skoops)

Definition: the latest news; gossip; dirt; info
    Used In A Sentence: Ooh, ooh, what’s da scoops?
    In English?: Give me the latest dirt on them. I’m curious!

Ova da shoulder boulder holdas – women underwears

BBdees – men underwears

Gau Gee – available only in Hawaii; mainland & Hong Kong only get won ton. BTW: Waimalu Chop Suey gau gee is over-rated. Gimongous, but no taste so good.

BBQ meat – it’s called teriyaki everywhere else. If you see BBQ meat on a mainland menu, then you going get the meat with the funny kine red sauce. Wat da heck is dis?

Podagee sausage – it’s called linguisa everywhere else.

Cone sushi – it’s called inarizushi everywhere else.

“Winnahz”
    (ween nahz)

Definition: it’s a winner; good; delicious

wop yo jaw
    (whop yo jawwww)

Definition: I told you so; I knew it (often used with the motion of one’s hand rubbing the bottom of one’s chin towards another).

……LOL

“holoholo”

holoholo
    (ho loh ho loh)

Definition: to go out, especially for a ride for leisure

“EH…..NO MAKE LI DAT”….

You acting wrong or acting way too silly…..or whateva it works fo.

“JUNKALUNK”

Brah, yo cah stay JANKALUNK! Why you wen go buy dat?

“JUNKALUNK”

Numba 470. Only 30 mo to go we get 500 posts!

Opa – carry somebody on your back

“JALIKE”……

Brah, what JALIKE do tooo day?

Go Beach……

We go den!

I can’t remember reading this one above in the well over 400 comments. WOW! Sorry if it’s a repeat, get so many now.

JALIKE!

I hope I wen go spell ’em correcly.

Mark ’75….I seem to remember playing that game but I can’t remember what it was called.

I always enjoyed playing Hanafuda when I was a kid.

Somewhere in the creases of my brain, I recall a card game we used to play where the loser calls out, “I AM THE KING OKOLE!” Forget how for play it though.

@khs68: Duck whaaaat?! 😆
    I thing crossing fingers and saying “times” or running up to a wall and calling, “safe,” in chase master were some kind of playground rules. Probably made by kids like me who were not as fast as the rest. 😆

Oops – “you know, one for . . . ” LOL.

Kinda OT, but what was up with all those punches you would get on your birthday – you, one for every year AND one for good luck? WWD? LOL.
    Or, pinch, punch, first of the month . . . .

Hawaiian time

Manini – small, undersized

Get one new ramen shop downtown, but the servings sooo manini! (true story – called Kakaako something [Remington College Building] LOL.)

Miss Aloha

Hoomalimali

Ufa

Kanack attack

“Cheese”

Q) What do you call cheese that’s not yours?

A) Nacho Cheese, Brah!

Q) How does a Filipino use the word “PERSUADING” in a sentence??

A) Hoy Auntie Rosing, you’re cousin Bing Bong got married one year ago already, tomorrow him and his wife will be celebrating their “PERSUADING” anniversary!

(“FIRST WEDDING”…..)….hehe

All the “M’s” in Mark Shelby’s post reminded me of:
    Motor mouth.

This is too god not to sheah……jus try make yo mind read ’em in Pidgin….

“Moki’s Law”

Moki’s Law: The chance of you dividing a manapua evenly in half depends upon how much you want to share it.

Moki’s Law: The syrup in your shave ice will always run out before the ice.

Moki’s Law: Never insult a person who is hairier than you or named Manny.

Moki’s Law: Rugby is the Samoan form of therapy.

Moki’s Law: Never talk to haoles in pidgin, they may try to answer back.

Moki’s Law: When all else fails, say you’re a tourist.

Moki’s Law: Clouds always have a way of following you to the beach.

Moki’s Law: A luau is when pig is served and made of oneself.

Moki’s Law: In Hawaii the extended family could include half the islands.

Moki’s Law: The best waves for surfing will always break while you’re in school or at work.

Moki’s Law: The poi dog you got free from a friend will always be smarter and cuter at their house.

Moki’s Law: If you think you’ve got it bad, try being a tourist stranded at Waimanalo Beach Park.

Moki’s Law: The only good pigeon is one that can’t fly higher than our head.

Moki’s Law: There is always one more cockroach.

Moki’s Law: Be wary of a Hawaiian who says he lives in Kahala but got a District Exception to Nanakuli.

Moki’s Law: The ume will always be in the last corner of the musubi.

Moki’s Law: The Kim Chee you ate three days ago will always resurface while you’re on that important date.

Moki’s Law: Just when you think you’ve met the girl of your dreams, her five older brothers tell you otherwise.

Moki’s Law: The guy you’re crazy about will always ask you out on a night you have to go to a family gathering.

Moki’s Law: In Hawaii the legal age for drinking is 18 and the legal height

Moki’s Law: If you buy a new dress for a party, the chances are that someone else at the party was also shopping at LH.

Moki’s Law: If an invitation says dinner at 6 PM (Hawaiian time) you can safely assume they mean 7:30 PM.

Moki’s Law: Formal in Hawaii is a long sleeve T-shirt with rubber slippers that don’t smell.

Moki’s Law: When in doubt talk pidgin, when in trouble talk Hawaiian.

Moki’s Law: When there’s a long line at Spats and you want to impress your date, the doorman you know will have called in sick.

Moki’s Law: The chance of you losing the top of your shave ice is directly proportional to how long the line was.

Moki’s Law: On the day you start your diet, someone will bring a bag of malasadas to the office.

Moki’s Law: The best way to catch up on old friends, is to shop weekly at Longs.

Moki’s Law: The page you need in the public telephone booth will always be missing.

Moki’s Law: The prerequisites for the Honolulu Police Department are a 4-year varsity letter, a Portuguese last name and healed acne scars.

Moki’s Law: Whoever invented saimin must have also invented spam.

210. keoni says:

Q) How do Portagee women tease their hair?
    A) They stand in front of the mirror and go “Nyah, nyah, nyah!”

“Two Portuguese Men Sleeping In the Car”

Q) Wat choo call 2 portagees sleeping in da car?

A) Mendoza

Not everyting hea is Pidgin…but you will have fun wit it. And recognize every one!…..hehe

“You Know You’re From Hawaii If…”

1.You buy large quantities of toilet paper in case there’s a longshoreman strike…
    2.You don’t understand why anyone would buy less than a 20 lb bag of rice…
    3.You would serve spam as a meat for dinner…
    4.You can taste the difference between teriyaki and kal-bi
    5.You know what a plumeria is and which color would die first: yellow,white or red…
    6.You know why there’s shoes and slippers outside of front doors…
    7.You know why there are alphabets on trees or any posts on graduation day you know why there are alphabets on trees or any posts on graduation day
    8.You know what lei day is…
    9.You know what is the “stink eye”; and how to give it…
    10.You know what nationality girl would put tape on her eyelids and why…
    11.You can correctly pronouce kalanianaole, kalakaua and aiea
    12.You know what is in the big breakfast at mcdonald’s
    13.You know what a “huli huli chicken” is…
    14.You can name 3 varieties of mangos…
    15.You have at least one family member whose name is “_____ boy; or “tita”…
    16.You have said “wat, owe you money?,”; “karang your alas”; or “da kine”…
    17.You know the difference between being hapa and being hapai
    18.You give directions using mauka and makai…
    19.You know what is “hawaii pono’i”…
    20.You know what it takes to get into kamehameha school…
    21.You know how to correctly pronounce “Likelike”…
    22.Someone says the word “UKU” and your head starts itching. eeww…
    23.You raise your chin to say “wassup” instead of nodding. (like one haole)…
    24.When making “Shaka” the back of your hand is facing out.
    25.You say, “Nori” not seaweed paper…
    26.You say “Brah” not “Bro”…
    27.You despise the movie “North Shore”…
    28.You know why Sharks Cove is called Sharks Cove…
    29.When your jokes are ’bout Portugese not Polish…
    30.You laugh at couples with cheesy Aloha attire…
    31.If you get one pair of “tata” slippers…
    32.When you e-mail mail people in pidgin…
    33.You know what is “Morgan’s Corner”. (And it still scares you!)
    34.If you’re immune to “leptospirosis”.
    35.When it’s 70 degrees and it’s freezing to you.
    36.You use “tako” instead of worms or fluorescent pink fish eggs for bait…
    37.You got lickins’ with “da rubbah slippah”…
    38.If you can walk through Waianae and not get mobbed…
    39.You know that “Kukui nut” is not some mental person…
    40.You’ve given Kahi Mohala’s number out to a guy/girl you didn’t like…
    41.You call it “saimin” not “Top Ramen”…
    42.The surf report is on your speed dial…
    43.Your local kids wear slippers and shorts in November in Michigan! (inside the house, of course!)…
    44.“Dressing up” means shorts and a aloha shirt.
    45.You say “shave ice”, not snow cone or shaved ice…
    46.Rainbow Drive-Inn is a special date.
    47.You go Kam, not Aloha, swap meet.
    48.You know pineapples don’t grow in trees.
    49.When you hear the words fund raiser, you know it means Zippy’s Chili
    50.Your mouth waters when you hear the words li-hing mui.

Filipino real estate portfolio – Da Hills I Own

One night at a bar I visited the men’s restroom and one big guy followed me in.

“Eh, Funny Man!”, he yelled at me, “I’m Portuguese, and I don’t keah for all doze jokes you been telling all night!”

Thinking fast, I replied “Bruddah, I was not making fun of the local Portuguese. The jokes I tell are about the people from Portugal.”

“My Maddah stay from Portugal!” he yelled, and pulled out a razor.

And I think he would have killed me if he could have found somewhere to plug it in.

“Raising Samoans”

Q) How come Samoan Maddahs get big arms and necks?

A) Cauz deh gotta raise dea kids!

“No Look Good”

One day, a farmer’s horse had died and he needed another horse to pull his plow.

As the farmer was walking down the road, he saw a horse eating grass in the pasture and questioned the owner. “How much money would you like for that horse?”

The Filipino man replied, “He not por sale. Him no look too good.”

The farmer looked at the horse and said, “He looks fine to me! How much for the horse?”

The Filipino man again said, “Excuse me sir, but da horse, he no look too good.”

The farmer got a little frustrated and gave the man 3 hundred dollars and said, “The horse looks fine to me… I’ll take it.”

The Filipino man said, “Tank you sir! But the horse. He no look good.”

The farmer just got the horse and walked away shaking his head. He went home and hooked the horse up to the plow. The horse went everywhere except straight.

After a careful examination, the farmer discovered that the horse was blind! He was angry and went back to the Filipino man and said that his horse was blind.

Again the Filipino man replied, “I told you sir. He no look too good!”

“Moki’s Wish”

Dis rich plantation ownah was having one big luau at his place. He stay tell his guests to come outside and spark the huge shark swimming around in his backyard pool. He make one offah to anyone who can swim up and back without being shark kau kau dat night. He tell “you fella can choose from one of da three choices if you survive”.

One, all da kala I own. Two, my vast plantation. Or numba three, my beautiful kumu wife.

Splash!!!

Moki, da houseboy, is in the pool and off he goes. He stay go fo’ ‘brok. The buggah tink he one Johnny Weismuller or someting l’dat with the shark on his okole. He finish up and back and hop out dripping wet. The ownah yell out, “You buggah made it?” Now let me guess, you must want my kala? Moki is gasping for air as he says “no”. Well den, you must want my huge plantation? Moki, still breathing hard says “no”. Oh, I get it, you like my beautiful kumu sexy wife, right? Again, da same answer, “no”. Finally, everyone including the plantation ownah is confused.

“Eh, Moki, den what da hell you like?”

Everybody stay quiet and waits for Moki to speak…

“I WANT DA BUGGAH WHO WEN PUSH ME IN DA POOL!”

Totally OT — but speaking of signs. When I was in Denmark, I saw a sign that said, “FARTKONTROL”. Huh? Wat da heck? Fart means speed in Danish. Go figga.

“Elevatah Capacity”

I wen go entah da elevatah and wen read one sign dat said “Maximum capacity: 10 persons or 2 Samoans or 20 Filipinos”

Wat do you call a tourist in Waianae? Robbery victim.

I trying to tink why we used to cross our fingas and say, “times” wen playing cops & robbers or hide & go seek.

Q) What choo call one “tita from Waianae” who just when go lose her boyfriend?

A) Brah-less!

crispy critter – caucasian sunburned tourist

224. keoni says:

@Mark Shelby Dat was funny, brah. I stay laughing! 😆

225. keoni says:

Hemo skin = peeling from a sunburn

Duck ass – McCully speak.

Q) Wat choo call one portagee sleeping in da kauwila?

A) Cardoza

….lol

Pepeiao – I neva know “pepeiao” was actually Hawaiian for “ear”. I guess cause the pepeiao you eat with manapua looks like an ear.

Q) How come da Filipino lady wen go cross da road?

A) Her neighbah wen go turn on da sprinklah, so she heard “psst-psst-psst”.

LOL – I remember “duck tail”, but not “duck ass” ….

I remember playing, “Big chochin/Small chochin”at socials ….

😉

Mosquito punk

Ooops spello. Make dat chochin holder.

Choching holder – third wheel on a date. Okay, this was from the ’50s — yea, yea, befores your times.

@Mark’75 – I was looking your list of haircuts. Guess you was too young for “duck ass”.

Wen we stay going?

shoo shoo baby – firecracker, but rigged so it doesn’t explode, it shoo shoo’s. LOL.

uku pile – plenny

Wat? Come ova hea and say dat – challenge

Eh watch it – threat

And Kailua was haolewood.

When “country” was Aiea and beyond.

What, you get sh*t fo’ brains?? LOL!

Wat’s her/his face – cannot tink the name.

Try tink – remember

Throw(n) for a loop

247. cmo says:

not shua if awredy get songs w/pidgin like:
    “no beeeg ting” (Don Ho – Ain’t No Big Thing”)
    Frank Delima – “Wat, you goin’ leave me now?” & plenty mo
    Rap Reiplinger – “Faith Yanagi” (no go cry, no go out with Mits Funai) & plenty mo

Twinkies Numb Tongue …….

…..LOL! Hilarious!

Walaau Wednesday

Rememba….always carry everyting!

Habut/Habuteru: To feel grumpy or resentful, especially after you feel offended by something.

Not standard Japanese but from Hiroshima dialect.

Japanese loanwords in Hawaii

This is why I felt it was not Japanese….and was pidgin. The other ….Monku appears to be Japanese.

But I no speaky! I jus looky Uppy! Because I kea!

OH Wait….But wait wait……if day are boat Japanese……..den day are not Pidgin! Awe!

…..hehe

Okay den…..Habut must be short. I tried to look dem boat up. I am trying to understand every word on Hea! Especially when I wen go see one new one fo me! And search their origins. Tanks.

I think both habut and monku are japanee – monkutare and habuteru.

Suck wind – I wen run yesterday after I neva fo’ long time – ho, I was sucking wind!!

cmo……Monku appears to be Japanese. Habut appears Pidgin for same.

So…….same same…….

Remember same same?…….hehe

I can catch drag? – asking for some of your cig ….

257. cmo says:

tanks, eh khs68! now we no dat monku not habut! hehehe

Habuts are generally passive aggressive personalities.

Monku – whine; grumble; complain about anything and everything.

Habut – pout; sulk; angry because no can get your way.

260. cmo says:

monku – i tink das like habut?

What I was trying to say is……I don’t think that Hele is a Pidgin word. I believe it is a Hawaiian word.

Hele On……….

Now this is questionable to me. It could be Pidgin, or one Hawaiian word. I believe it is a Hawaiian word.

I don’t believe this link……

Sometimes people get it wrong, if day neva lived hea fo one long time!

“Go Fo Broke”………….

eh you wen spock dat broad, she get big cans
    did you see that woman with big boobs…

eh brah, you local? while traveling on the mainland and seeing someone that looks like he from the islands…

eh brah, you like drag… hey sir, do you want to race

’em …..can be used in Pidgin……Hawaii 5~0…..too Haole!…..hehe But I watched it every week anywaz……

“like take a hit?” debating to smoke da joint or not

“book ’em, Danno” fake pigin, obviously not from here

how you figgah? laulau is supposed to be hawaiian food, but it sounds so chinese. manapua is supposed to be chinese food, but it sounds so hawaiian. only in Hawaii, brah, only in Hawaii.

@Mark’75 – funny stuff, your bathroom story!

“manapuas” very valuable assets

“mosquito bite” not a wahine’s BFF

While we get dis intermission……I like sheaa one epic Makapuu video….

Some pidgin in Da first radio broadcass…..

Da ress…..juss relax!

My favorite body surfing beach in da entire world! Been body surfing hea since I was just 9 years old. No time fo Sandy beach and get beat up by dosz nasty pretend waves braddah!

Epic Makapuu 2011 …..

Bulaia ” Sweet Home Waimanalo ” False Crack ….

….LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bulaia ” Manapua Man ” Hawaii’s Most Wanted ….

……LOL!

Bu La’ia Prank Call …..

…..LOL!

Bu La’ia Word of da Day PILAU …….

…..LOL

Mahalo Airlines …….

Remember dis?

…..LOL

Rap Reiplinger – “Room Service” Video

…..LOL! Rememba da good old dayz?

279. kellyk says:

wow been on the mainland too long, these are bringing back memories! lol “pounz, no backs!” and “pupule house” had me LOL fo’real!
    I get one moa – holoholo. “eh, we go holoholo. no can, I gotta work”

@Mark’75 – 😆

Origins Of Pidgin …..

An Exhibit in Waipahu…..

Thought I would share dis…..so some of you can visit.

These Haole kids are clever……lol

Not Hawaiian

…..LOL!

Another bathroom story. While in the department, I was on duty and stopped off at Kahala Mall to use the restroom.
    In walked a little boy and his father. The kid starts giggling and his father asks, “what?”
    “The policeman making shishi…hehehehehehehe”
    “sshhhh….nevamind”
    “heheheheBWAHAHAHAHA!”
    oh, my

@Mark Shelby: Nice video. Looks like some precious time spent with her grandpa.

LOL……Mark! Only in Hawaii!

Hawaiian Pidgin English W/ Grandpa

One more generation….and we goin’ lose all kine good Pidgin!

I am Serious!

This past holiday season, I was sitting on the toilet at Ala Moana Shopping Center, upstairs, by Tsukiji Restaurant.
    A few stalls down, I heard a little girl’s voice singing loudly,
    “You better watch out, you better not cry….HEY DADDY, HOW COME YOU NOT SINGING?!”
    “I MAKING DOODOO!”
    “HAHAHAHAHAHA…..You better watch out, you better not cry…”

Dat’s Noat Sho……….hehe

Before we drive north shore, I gotta put gas.

Sally…..lol

I tink Da Kine is the most classic and most useful of all dat Kine!

Always waz my favorite!

I mussa useto say “da kine” plenny when I was small cuz my daddy constantly told men “No such word as da kine!” At some point I guess I stopped. Funny how all the other pidgin words was okay. LOL

EH!…..Who wen go cockroach my beah wen I wazant lookking?

Hey!….Who stole my beer!

ah…the sounds from da pass……

LOL! Filum reminds me of birfday.

Takuan fut = one ROYAL one!

“No forget, put fil’um in da camera!”

Young kid hairstyling:
    chawan cut
    butch cut
    sheikh cut
    buzz job
    or me…vana head

Neighbor Island pidgin:
    “Som’ good!”

What choo goin’ do Brah? Go Stay…..or Stay GO.

Da Bess…….

and then when something stay really good…..it’s

Ho….Dats Da BESSES Bra!

Talkin’ like one haole = not what this blog topic is about! LOL.

Chance ‘um

Dog shit luck.

“Eh, you smell stink”. “Me? You stay smelling your upper lip”.

Not in real life . . . .

Fo’ realz?

As if . . . .

Not even . . . .

Small keed time I remember hearing adults say, “my foot or my eye”. Sarcastic remark like “you wish”.

Kuleana as in, “Not my kuleana”

Make time/punch time

“like throw?” a proposal to scrap

“all sock” when you stay salty and stewing about it

“mahu-lani” you better off being a wimp LOL

“you panty” to act like a wimp

“fag out” to be a wimp

Quit acting up or you going get one slap!

Dis keed going give me one hemorrhage!

Ants in da pants.

Pupule House – Hawaii State Hospital in Kaneohe.

“What you looking at? Like scrap?”

“Rubbaz” Essential to have when you actually
    score 😆

“Duke ’em up” All dressed up ready for score

I see the word Hanabata used in Japan. We were on a train in Fukuoka and I hear Sugi wa Hanabata ke, Hanabata ke, I couldn’t stop laughing. When the train stopped I took a picture of the sign and everyone was staring at me. Than in Sapporo there was a Hanabata store that sold among other things Hokkaido butter and there is a Hanabata street in Kyoto.

Nose trouble.

Burn rubbah – leave quickly.

Kinda – almost; nearly; close enough.

When playing jump rope: “Your turn for kaa.”

328. Ynaku says:

OK nuff auready. DIs Tata gotta go befo he come makule. Oh wait, dis manong auready make a today. Some of us gotta work and some of us pau hana. Time fo close da light and bag. Tme fo put on my kamaboko slippahs and hit da road befo da wife get all irkatated and karang my alas. 😀

k-den latahs I go get some Ice Shave from Itsu’s. He go righ on da kinipopo

329. Ynaku says:

Ho Rodney get ukumillion posts on dis sudjeck

330. Ynaku says:

MDD Make’ Die Dead Really really dead

331. Ynaku says:

Eh wea everybody stay? Go wash da makapiapia out of your eyes

332. Ynaku says:

@Rodney wen make sum Killah Wiffah – super stink flatulance In other words “Supah stink fut!”

333. Ynaku says:

Plantation camp my muddah wen pack my fuddah his kaukau tin

334. Ynaku says:

Kalakoa – lots of colors

335. Ynaku says:

hulimakaflip – slip or fall over

336. Ynaku says:

Related to Hanabata which is the runny stuff coming out of your nose. Hanakuso is that dry stuff inside your nose.

337. Ynaku says:

Son comes in lili while ago to tell me he going pull teeth. I asked him, “Wen you gocumbak?”

Sorry I live Filipino camp my whole life. I jus going down da alphabet trying fo tink what us yousto say.

338. Ynaku says:

Gassa gassa – ADHD 😀 Hyperactive

339. Ynaku says:

Try go walk Waiks get plenny FOB (fresh of the boat)

340. Ynaku says:

Eh she get double eye – overlapping eyelids

341. Ynaku says:

I mentioned this long time ago wen I went help my unko go get buta kaukau Jus no call us da buta kaukau man. pick up slop for the piggery

342. Ynaku says:

befo time – back in the days

343. Ynaku says:

Why? Cause chiken get 2 wae wae as why 😆

344. Ynaku says:

From da Bruddahs Bakaloos Go fo broke

345. Ynaku says:

B-52 flying cockaroach

346. Ynaku says:

an den? Then what?

347. Ynaku says:

Karang your alas

348. Ynaku says:

Ai Kudiyam – OMG

Cherry – immaculate
    Hopped-up – fixed up (as in cars)

Ho, you seen that hopped-up car, she was cherry, no? LOL.

Kabe shirts – those old-time, silk, aloha shirts.

I remember a group of us (Kaimuki girls of course) went to Waikiki beach and saw for the very first time — guys wearing speedos. Eeek! Ball-barings!

No make humbug.

Halulu – messed up. Everybody was all halulu at the party.

Palaka shirts – those “Arakawa” aloha shirts.

Jack shirts – those “shortened” aloha shirts.

Jams – those “swimming shorts”

Sharkskin pants (the shiny pants). LOL.

highwater pants

On the rag – female grumpiness. 😉

I remember my older cousin wearing “drapes” – wide leg pants.

Which leads to, “scabbin’ ” – eh, we go scabbin’ at Ala Moana …. LOL! Not that I ever said that or anything …. 😉

Spock – wow, you wen spock that chick?

Also, like “no backs”. LOL.

Pounz – kind of like dibs; also, seal a deal.

Guud morning MLCCers!
    What!

The manapua man picking his nose and asking me, “Whatchulike?”
    “Uh, nevamind.”

Depending on who you’re playing marbles with, ‘hand span’ often sounded like ‘ham spam.’

Cool your jets

I know this is off topic….but I just have to share it. I just found it tonight…..before I lose it, I thought I would share. I think you will enjoy it.

Hawaiian Steel Guitar Classics 1927 – 1938

Oops….sorry dats one Hawaiian word….but we always used to say that.

Auwe…….
    Man…..you get trouble!

Hawaiian – PIDGIN ENGLISH HULA by Sol Hoopii 1935

Talking in Pidgin accent…..while no talking Pidgin. Dis always interested me! Love you Frank! And tanks for da memories!

MORNING DRIVE Portuguese Bean Soup 2012

“Walla Walla Bing Bang”…….

Frank Delima – Glen Miyashiro

Ass why ha–d.
    You da bess.
    Tanks, eh?!

Hawai’i 101: The Shaka Edition

…..LOL

old fut = MLC = me makule = time to hit the hay

At the nightclub, after you score, you flick you eyebrows up and down many times and at a rapid pace to your friends… get ’em tonight! LOL

In Pidgin…..you can say many tings wit your eyebrows……LOL

When someone wants to come into my lane when driving and sees me in the mirror, I just nod my head little bit, flinch my eyebrows a tad much and not smile. Local style for go ahead, den. Locals, we cool.

“Shut da front door” or “Shut the _uck up” or hush your mouth, John Boy Walton

Nite…..

keoni

Tanks fo sharing!

385. keoni says:

Time fo’ me go hiamoe. latahs, den.

“No $hit?” Quit bustin’ my chops, for real or what?

One time in 1974…..I was surfing Makaha on one big wave day. I was ripping da waves! One local got mad at me! I must have been taking all of da waves and surfing too good! Always in da right position!

He just thought I was one mainland Haole.

He yelled at me and said…..

“Eh Haole….take one mo wave den split ya”

I kept surfing! Jerry Lopez waz out dea wit us.

I kept surfing good….they neva bottad me again. That means I gained their respect. And I know Jerry would not let them mess!

“Jack $hit” When you no more nuthin’

389. hawai'ian by heart says:

Ok one more: Obake talkstories da best.

K den, Hawaiian

“Chicken $hit” When you sced, wen you afraid

392. hawai'ian by heart says:

Ya we a few hrs ahead of you here. Long day but guud. shaka uncle nite.

Eh Hawaiian, howzit? Time for crash yet?

Nite…..Aloha……hawai’ian by heart

395. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Seawalker

Howzit? ello uncle.

When you off the chart piss-off… “what, baddah you? like beef?”

397. hawai'ian by heart says:

Nite uncles an aunties, tanks and mahalo fo the pidgin education lol. Been too long.

When you really piss-off… “go eat my fut”

When you kind of piss-off… “go smell my fut”

400. hawai'ian by heart says:

Geev’um Braddah!
    Go gettem bruddah yes?

401. hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

Nani asian wahine 🙂 guud pidgin yeah? 🙂

Geev’um Braddah!

Remember dat?

403. hawai'ian by heart says:

Nani

Ain’t no beeg ting.

No Get Huu Huu wit me!

Somebody is upset wit you!

406. keoni says:

Oops, dat should be (Japanese)

407. keoni says:

Then there are the terms fo’ da different ethnic groups that I’ve seen:

Portagee = Portuguese
    Buddhahead=Japanese

And one from Da Book with two little girls having a spat:
    No lie, Rice Eye (Chinese)
    Wat you said, Buddhahead! (Japanede)

Da illustrations in Pidgin to da Max are just as funny as the definitions!

Da Hawaii Pidgin Bible Lord’s Prayer, Mathew 6:9-13

409. hawai'ian by heart says:

neva mind, my computer old fut.

410. hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G You still wit us uncle?

Ti-ed – tired; old; dated

412. hawai'ian by heart says:

fo sure uncle

I tink dis could be da bess thread on MLC for life….ya?

414. hawai'ian by heart says:

dat why den hard lmao!

hawai’ian by heart…ya I saw dat tonight when I was searching. I was going to post it…..but there is one bad word in deah dat would make dis PG13….so I did not post it.

But ya! Dats Funny! And den he throw his phone on da grass!…..lol

416. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Hooo uncle posted at same time yeah?

417. hawai'ian by heart says:

Guys you have got to see this bustted up laughing.

Viewer discretion, some adult language.

Hawaiian Pidgin English | Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin

Anyone seen dis yet?

Keoni…..You are correc……I have heard different Pidgin on Kauai, Maui and da big Island.

hawai’ian by heart…I know it was one joke….no worries braddah!

Habut/habuts – habuteru; sulky

421. hawai'ian by heart says:

@keoni

there are more but i neva live on big island so don’t know.

No make li’ dat ….

423. keoni says:

@hawai’ian by heart Dat’s da one I see most often. There must be more, but I don’t know any other examples.

No look at me – response to a question requesting help or assistance. Q. “Who going take out the garbage?” A. “No look at me”.

Or…Q. “Who made one fut?” A. “No look at me”.

425. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

jus’ joke uncle. itz all guud. :-). At least you rememba most of your pidgin, i don’t.

You fella – minnasan 😉

427. keoni says:

choke = planny, a lot
    Auwe, was choke traffic on da H-1 today!

hawai’ian by heart…..my time is afta leather helmets!……LOL

429. hawai'ian by heart says:

Ice shave(B.I)
    shave ice(Oahu)

Rememba wen you would go to huge parties at somebody’s house. Massive Luau’s. Like baby kine stuffs. And everybody left their slippers outside. Den sometimes you go outside to leave. And you no can find your slippahs! Somebody like your slippahs mo betta….and da wen trade wit you!……..LOL

Sometimes you had to go home wit Wahine Slippahs!……hehe

431. hawai'ian by heart says:

@keoni
    Bum Bye den uncle

Buku – planny (LOL!). Dat guy get buku bucks!

@khs68 – not equals “jap slaps”, too, den! 😉

434. hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

I had a pair of waffle maker slippahs wen i lived on Oahu.

435. keoni says:

@hawai’ian by heart I think I read somewhere that there are different pidgin words on the outer islands, but maybe they find their way here to O’ahu bum bye anyway.

No touch my Rubba Slippas! Or else!

437. hawai'ian by heart says:

Schooled

@4G – they’re called “Jap slaps” in NY. Da nerve!

439. hawai'ian by heart says:

Small kid time

Dern! Not equals flip-flops!

441. hawai'ian by heart says:

Hooo uncle now wen? We talking Leather Helment dayz eh? 🙂

Rubbah slippah = rubber slippers = slippers = zori, but flip- flops!

LOL!

Hanabata days

444. hawai'ian by heart says:

skosh- just a little bit.

Calabash Cousin………one really good lifelong friend who you treated like a family member and called him your Cousin Anyway!

446. hawai'ian by heart says:

catch cracks – To get beaten up

make A… make A$$… make shame
    woop your jaws… hahahahaha
    peelin rubbah… spinning your tires
    hang loose… take it easy
    easilay… easy
    s y hud… difficult way
    tuff shi+… too bad

Suck wind – out of breath.

449. keoni says:

Suck face = serious kissing, like French style, yeah?
    Ho, Puanani and Kaipo-boy sure like suck face!

hawai’ian by heart…..McKinley Tigers wen go mess you guys up, many times at the Termite Stadium in Moiliili!…..hehe

I waz watching, and helping make da stadium bounce!……LOL

Tank God da termites kept holding hans!

@4G – yah, no kidding.

452. keoni says:

One of my favorites from da book “Pidgin to da Max” is “mass drop” referring to the open mouth look of shock in a group upon being told a stunning bit of information.

PIDGIN TO DA MAX local kine comedy 1983

Word of the day…..Hauna!

……LOL

454. hawai'ian by heart says:

kick rocks bruddah is another on i rememba.

Planny – ho, get planny posts tonight, yah?

456. hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby, khs68 Bulldogs in da house. 🙂

@Mark Shelby – Kaimuki High School. Go Dawgs!

458. hawai'ian by heart says:

One i still love and works on stink eye. Wat up brah, owe you money or sumpten? 🙂

@Keoni – Hauna for sure 😆 😆 😆

khs68…..Is that Kailua High School or Kalani High School? I am McKinley……..1973.

461. keoni says:

@khs68 ‘Ae, da smell stay da same! Pilau!

462. keoni says:

Someone mentioned being “high maka maka” earlier (Wat brah, you expect me to go search? No can! 🙂 ) I learned the phrase ” maka ‘ewa’ewa” (haughty eyes) many years ago.

khs68…..Oops!…..Yes we need another term for Bra. I neva knew why we did not have one bak den! But yours is perfect!

…. “bra-lette.”

@keoni – same smell, right? 😉

khs68…..true story. Happened over and over again! Every weekend. I finally got so embarrassed fo da Submarine Racing Watchers! I would duk in my seat when my Fadda hit da high beams!!…….LOL

466. keoni says:

(Keoni goes into Hawaiian language auto-correct mode): Da correct spelling for excrement in Hawaiian is kukae. You going get one test on dis bum bye. 😆

@Mark Shelby: “bra-lette.”

Wat school you went? – referring to the high school you attended.

469. Shoyu burner says:

Ho boy
    Spock u laters
    Neva mind
    Going nene pretty soon…..

khs68…….”You Get EM Bra”……..!

@Mark Shelby: 😀

472. Shoyu burner says:

No make li’ dat!
    Chad up
    No can hando
    @rod : bondo-plastic fantastic

khs68…..I have a story for dis!

On Sunday nites…..driving home after church in Nuuanu. My Dad liked to take the long way home through Waikiki. And up around the Diamond Head Lighthouse. On Diamond Head Road.

All of the parking people would always be there! At the view point parking spots. There were two main ones.

To play a trick on everybody and me and my sister……Dad would drive very slow and turn into the parking view spots and turn his High Beams ON! And the people inside their cars would Scramble!…..LOL!

Then my Dad would tell us…..Look at all of the people looking at the Submarine Races off Diamond Head! And it was pitch black Dark!

It took me a couple of years to figure dis out!……………LOL

So Hilarious my Dad was!

Had it – bus’ up (LOL – just define pidgin in pidgin terms!). Ho, dat car had it, yah?

Wea you wen pak youa Cah? What? You wen loss ’em?

Submarine races.

No worry, beef curry.

No go downtown at night bra……only get Tita’s down dea!

…..LOL!

no can handle

Go For Broke!!! – the ultimate geev ‘um

Smoke/Smoked/Smoke ‘um – Get beaten badly. Ho, UH football last year; we really wen get smoked, yah? 🙁

Makaha Sons “The Pidgin English Hula” Retro video

So Cute!

“What Choo Like”

What do you want….

KB = Korean Bar
    Koreamoku

😉

ovah dayah not ovah heah.

U going go or u going stay?

HO!…..So Cute YA?!! You have to see this!……LOL

How fo Speak Pidgin

Poke squid – go ask Larry Price

Stink-Ass – a person who plays dirty.

The other way to say “NO Ack”

is…..

“No Try Make Bra”

Here ….”Make” assumes the same meaning of “ACK”.

Many Pidgin words can overlap, and share the same meaning in a different sentence.

@Rodney – Bilot. Ahanakokolele.

Icebox – refrigerator

Make tracks – leave.

Parlor – Living room

495. hydroman72 says:

Too Funny! This is great!
    Only can add: Panko Face – girl who had too much makeup on

Bilot – the area between the A-lot and the C-lot. 😆

Fast – guys who move in on girls quickly. “Ho, town guys, dey fast!”

Punk – trouble-maker

Or wat? – sarcastic addition to any question. “You stoopid, or wat?”

Moke Action …….

……LOL

See moi lips – cracked, dry lips.

“Eh Brah…..No give me stink Eye Ah”…….!

You are looking at me funny or whatevas wit da eye!…….hehe

“HO”……..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something you say when you surprise what somebody wen jus tell you!

and then there is….

“HO……OK DEN”

When somebody wen tell you fo do something. Or what jus happened.

“HO”………….can work in many meanings and sentences.

It’s another masterful one kine word of Pidgin! With many meanings.

504. DIO says:

bolohead row. 😉

Fly shit – beauty marks.

506. DIO says:

eh, get chance? 😉

Makapiapia – eye crud.

Maka-pipi-eye – da kine eye dat stay stuck shut from all da makapiapia.

“We go get some Grindz”

Let’s go out to eat.

This is a newer more modern term, and not used in old original Pidgin.

Modern Pidgin has seemed to have morphed a bit. And some modern slang terms have seemed to have morphed in. The purpose of this post, to show it.

giri-giri – cowlick

Channel changer – TV remote.
    AKA: da stick

False crack – first strike before your opponent is ready.

Diarrhea mout – some who talks stink all da time.

“No talk stink about me bra before I crack yo face”

I like the sentences, more than jus one word. I like to see the words interack………Dat’s what makes it so special!

Repeats are okay ~ I don’t expect everyone to read all the posts. Plus, help the post counts.

Biri biri – intestinal disorder. need i say more?

Close da light – turn off the light

Oh, sorry Lowtone123, I neva see your earlier posts.

Ka-chink – Chinese Katonk

“What….Bodda You”

Whop yo jaws – ha ha!

Mento – crazy; can be figurative, or literal. 😉

Olo’s, olo-olo – testicles

“What Choo Wen Do Today”

What did you do today.

Hungry ass – when the underwear is all stuck in between da cheeks.

“Try Tink Bra”

Try to think better my friend.

@khs68: “Hagemoge.” Whoa, never hear that one for a looong time! 😆

Toe jam – the cheese found between your toes after wearing shoes all day.

@Shoyu burner – “Crater Eddie”

Bondo – what girls use for smooth out their crater face

Crater face – da kine folks with bad acne.

@DIO – I was saving boy-san. 😉

Hagemoge – no mo teeths.

Gala-galaz: what plenty people get now, with this bad weather.

Birfday – birthday

Pua ting – poor thing

More good history…..

PIDGIN THE VOICE OF HAWAII

538. Shoyu burner says:

Piute card game speak: side bolo, bolo head, piute, tree-tree…
    Bolo head dicky dong ( I’m not sure if this right)

@Shoyu burner: sounds like ‘Morning Breeze!’

“Whea You Stay”…..?

Where are you.

shishi-boy: cry baby

542. Shoyu burner says:

Lose money
    Killa wiffa: a beautiful smell……. Not!
    All bus: pilute:hammered: cut: gone…
    she go: when something works good

Junkalunka: not good/broken down

@Rodney: Kukai Ramen? whaaaaat?!
    Wow, I gotta get a t-shirt!

“NO ACK”……

Someday acting wise and causing anykine trouble……

Rap Reiplinger – “Chanting” Video

…….LOL

‘So what…..you going stay or stay go”……?

Cheap sale!……LOL Mark

We always used to say that.

Same thing:
    Cut Seat
    Broke Seat

“If can, can!……if no can, no can”

“Cheap sale!” Said when you see two of your friends wearing the same thing.

Aftah. As in:
    “When you going do um?”
    “Aftah.”
    “When?!”
    “Aftah, aftah.”

Another one word kine…..

“YOU GET EM”

Works with everything fabulous and fantastic that you did, while describing you.

I caught one 20 foot wave at Pipeline and got covered……”YOU GET EM”

I made one touchdown……. “YOU GET EM”:

I wen ace my algebra test……”YOU GET EM”

I met dis awesome girl at da disco and she likes me!….hehe…..”YOU GET EM”

When your younger brother falls and skins a knee:
    “Wat, soa? Bumbye pau!”

From the 60’s:
    “Ain’t no beeg thing braddah!”

My two uncles in Hilo conversing:
    “Eh, you know da kine from da kine?”
    “Yeah.”
    “He died.”
    “Nah!”

Mark’75…..I love that part of Pidgin.

You can say one word, and everyone knows what you mean by the end of your sentence! So that one word can actually be used fo anyting! It’s classic Pidgin!

Arirang:
    “oooohnaaah…”
    Translation: Gosh, Charlotte is TALENTED!!

UH Football:
    “oooohnaaah…”
    Translation: Seeing the quarterback get sacked for the umpteenth time.

Same words, different meanings:
    Las Vegas:
    “oooohnaaah…”
    Translation: Seeing the buffet at the Rio for the first time.

Shark bait

562. DIO says:

Rodney: I’m surprised you missed one, “Boy-san” 😆

Easy Pidgin Quiz…..

Tell us how you did. Or…..”How you wen go”.

I don’t think I saw this one above. And it’s the most simple and used all the time.

“You Know……Da Kine”

That thing I am trying to tell you but I no can rememba right now.

Then you say…..”You Get Um Bra”. Da answer back…..’Ya I Get Em Braddah”

But you never had to say the actual thing you were trying to describe….everybody just knew what you were talking about.

Because you wen go say….. “Da Kine”…..!

Get Em?

565. Shoyu burner says:

Rod do you mean instead:
    Befo yo time
    Small kid time
    Maui pidgen: only good, stay ono ( first time I heard my inlaws say this
    I didn’t understand lol)
    No can handle…..

Pilute – drunk; drunkard.

bus’ firecrackah – burn firecrackers

crack fut – pass gas

Geev’ um! – don’t know what it translates to. More like a cheer.

Whatevas – what ever.

Howzit Shoyu Burner~

Long time no see – Didn’t see you for a long time

Good stuffs hea…..

Welcome to the Pidgin Timeline!

Drag the timeline with your mouse….and click on any time period for good history! This is FUN! And great info!

I posted this in another thread a while back. Here it is again if you missed it.

Pidgin: The Voice of Hawai‘i

The website in case da link no work….can study mo hea.

574. Kailuagirl says:

Pidgin was absolutely forbidden in our house. Mom was from the mainland and dad was a Kalihi boy. My grandmother spoke pidgin…it drove my mother nuts. When I first moved from Ca. to Hawai’i, omigosh – what a culture shock! Bum by and uster to. (used to) After a year and a half at Likelike Elementary School – we moved to Kailua where the usage of pidgin wasn’t as prevalent.

Ai! Shoyu burner “same same”!

Kakio legs – legs scarred by mosquito bites or other blunt trauma injuries.

577. Shoyu burner says:

Go home cook rice
    Same smell
    Das y hard
    Kakio legs
    Ma’ke
    Chance um

One Dolla …….hehe

Check some of the comments at the link……”can’t understand them because of the accent”……

Too Haole dat’s why!…..LOL

Remember this skit? I do. I even got the Pidgin TO Da Max book for Christmas one year…..hehe

PIDGIN TO DA MAX Trolling for Squid 1984 disco

PIDGIN TO DA MAX HANA HOU: Mrs. Pochoski (DAVID SIMMONS) explores Reproductive Interactive Techniques (or Trolling for Squid). Featuring CLAYTON WAI as Junior, TAMMEY TAKAHASHI as Denise and CLYDE YASUHARA as Junior’s Disco Buddy (with Tremaine Tamayose, Douglas Simonson, Mike De Ycaza and Jennifer Castillo). Based on the popular book by Peppo. Shot at Rumours disco in the Ala Moana Hotel. Aired November 1984 on KGMB TV in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Always had fun saying this when I was one kid….

Hey braddah….you get one hana badda hanging from yo nose!

You just kept checking out everyone’s nose, just so you could say it if get….lol

kukai – doo-doo

There’s actually a place in Bellevue named Kukai Ramen & Izakaya.

No problem, kellyk – your “high maka maka” made me think of, “high rent”. LOL.

@Mark’75 – you know I was joking, right? Plus, gave me a chance to sneak in, “Bull Lie”. 😉

“bag” – neva hea dat one in a long time.

584. kellyk says:

sorry 4G you already said bag. I neva read good.
    hi maka maka – snobby. is that pidgin or Hawaiian?

585. kellyk says:

book – to leave in a hurry. “we gotta book if we going movies”
    bag/bag out – also to leave. “somebody hit my car and went jus’ bag out”

586. hawai'ian by heart says:

Lol try being in mainland and talk pidgin (eek)

@Rodney mahalo uncle, I must be having an M.L.C moment lol.

Same difference

Boro boro – raggedy.

I got a lot of those.

That was my nod to teacher Miss Cha, who glared at us over her half-moon spectacles whenever we’d speak improperly.

@Mark’75 – Bull Lie! LOL! 😉

Yup, I work for dem. But it was never called DaBus. It was always TheBus. Although there is an app called DaBus which gives estimated times of bus arrivals, helps locate close bus stop, shows bus routes and stops. Very handy app!

593. hawai'ian by heart says:

Hey guys question please help. Didn’t “TheBus” used to be called “DaBus”? Am i wrong? I believe i remember the words “DaBus” on the side of the buses in the 70s? (Or is that what us locals used to just call it?)

@Rodney, don’t you work for dem?

At our school, we spoke proper English. Thank you, very much.

hanabata- mucus

mo bettah- it’s better

Get choke-lots

tie tie- score is even

Bachi – bad luck.

Skebbe – lecherous.

Poho – wasteful or not worth it.

You wish – not even in your dreams. “Eh, look at her. You tink she like go wid me?” “You wish!”

Not by the hair on your kinipopo – hmmm…

Olopop – politically correct way to say popolo.

How come? – why

hanai
    calabash – e.g., my calabash uncle.

Garut – sucker

@khs68 – ching ching eyes; LOL! Reminds me of ching ching purse . . . .

kapakahi – messy
    benjo – slang for bathroom
    kakimochi – arare
    chang – tightwad, derogatory term for Chinese ancestry
    daikon legs
    babooze – dufus
    cho cho lips
    deaf ear – stink ear
    mahu
    hele – e.g., hele on
    buckaloose – ho, my kite wen jus buckaloose.
    Jam up – messed up
    lo lo – That guy, he kinda lolo, yeah?
    luna – boss
    niele – nosy
    rat bite
    juice – ho, the refs was so juice!
    scoops – eh, you get the inside scoops?
    bag – eh, we go bag already . . . .
    wop your jaws
    yobo – derogatory term for Korean
    FOB – fresh off the boat

Making any kine – unrestrained behavior.

Ching ching eyes – small oriental eyes that can see through venetian blinds. Girls with ching ching eyes are prime candidates for eye jobs.

Daikon legs – large calves.

Cho cho lips – overly thick lips. Mick Jagger & Angelina Jolie have cho cho lips.

Karang – threat of physical violence, i.e. i going karang your allahs.

Wat, I owe you money? – Please divert your gaze before I’m forced to pound your head . . . . LOL.

For daze – Ho, she can talk for daze! 😉

Hapa – e.g., hapa haole

Hana/Hala – along the lines of hanakokolele
    Hang Loose
    Aiya/Aisus
    Manong
    Scrap – fight/beef
    Poi Dog
    Pound – I going pound your head!
    Pounds – Dibs
    Bumboocha – Large; used to be in reference to marbles
    Kini(?) – token/charm; girls playing hopscotch would toss their kini (is this right? LOL)
    Buggah

619. hawai'ian by heart says:

pupule-crazy
    lolo-dumb
    pilau-dirty- filthy; stench.
    potagee mouth-Very talkative individual; blabber mouth
    tantaran- show off;boastful
    ujee- gross; disgusting
    book book-individual of Filipino descent
    ainokea- I know care

I also believe that there is different pidgin, for different islands? Like in Oahu we say shave ice, on da big island its ice shave? And there is soft and hard styles? Am I wrong?

620. Gareth says:

That’s a good list. I hear some variations in pronunciation, depending on your ethnic background, and what part of the islands you come from. For example, “Wassamatta you” sometime comes out as “Assamalla you?” And “No act” is often pronounced as “No ack”!

621. Lowtone123 says:

Afta-After. Later on.

622. Lowtone123 says:

Junkalanka-Junk. Not good. Of poor quality or outcome.

My friend’s grandmother used to say things like “You kaukau-shita?” (“Shita” shows past tense in Japanese verbs.) Or “You come-go-shita”?

“Katonk,” the derogatory local term for a Mainland-born-and-raised Japanese American, supposedly comes from the sound the Mainland JA’s head made when it hit the wall after being shoved by a Hawai`i-born JA.

The use of “dem” (them)–as in “NHKEA dem” to mean NKHEA and others, comes from a sentence construction in Hawaiian. The Hawaiian equivalent to “dem” is “ma.”

Rodney, “bumbye” comes from the English “by and by,” also meaning later on.

no moah- I don’t have it

was sa matta you?- What is wrong with you?

You going stay go?- Are you going to come?

Eh, you can hemo your shoes-Sir, could you please remove your shoes.

No make ladat- Please don’t do that

I stay pau-I’m all finish

Hemo (remove, take off).

Is it just me? I’m not sure how you’re supposed to spell a lot of these words! 😉 They were never on any of the spelling tests! LOL

Hemajang (not hemanang! LOL – darned phone wants to auto correct like EVERY word!)

Blahla, moke, tita, katonk, broke da mouth, hemanang, kalakoa, uku pau, bumbye, shaka, futless, no make (li dat), talk story, burn up (huhu), allahs (as, I going kick you in the allahs), shoots, manapua, saimin.

636. keoni says:

Boddah You? = Are you upset by….?

637. keoni says:

Try move = get out of the way, please! (Dis one of my favorites – I use it a lot) 🙂

638. keoni says:

Stink Eye = give a dirty look. Gee, even da malihinis on da mainland understood dis da first time I said it! 😆

@Keoni – No forget “Stink eye”

640. keoni says:

Stink Ear = no can heah so good (like our own NKHEA :LOL: )

641. keoni says:

Fo’ example, No Talk Stink = bad mouth some(thing/body)

642. keoni says:

And reaching back to da previous post… da many uses of ‘stink’!

Kakaroach – Take something that doesn’t belong to you.

Garans ballbarans – It’s bonafide.

Ahanakokolele – Shame on you or you deserve one slap for dat.

No get your panties or bvds in a stretch – It’s nothing to be concerned about.

First!!! Yeeha!!

Eh wow lau lau – Did you really mean what you just said?