Do You Remember… Ala Moana Center (1979)

Let’s visit one of our favorite subjects.  A reader emailed me and asked if us MLCers would be willing to help her with a project.  She’s looking for perspectives/stories of shopping and/or working at the old Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Now, I know that us MLCers sometimes need help in jogging the memory section of our brain, so I thought that this might help.  I found this list of Ala Moana Merchants – circa 1979.  Take a look.

A A Jewelery & Antiques
A B C Discount Stores
Al Phillips The Cleaner Inc.
Ala Moana Banquet Halls/Spencecliff Catering
Ala Moana Coffee Shop
Ala Moana Pet Center
Ala Moana Poi Bowl
Ala Moana Pro Golf Shop
Ala Moana Stamp & Coin Co. Ltd.
Aloha Fashions
Fumi’s Beachwear
F W Woolworth Co.
Gallenkamp Shoes
Gift Pleasures
Gima’s Art Gallery
Gold Master Jewelers
Gould Emura Yamamoto Drs Optometrists Inc.
Hale Kukui Makai Candle Shop
Paniolo Trading Inc.
Patti’s Chinese Kitchen
Paul’s Jewelry Inc.
Pete’s Modelcraft
Petland
Phillipine Handicrafts
Plaza Swimwear Company Inc.
Pocketbook Man
Prince Kuhio’s Restaurant
Products of Hawaii
Reyn’s Men’s Wear
Ritz Department Stores
Robins
Ross Sutherland Limited Stores
Saint-Germaine America Inc.
San Francisco Rag Shop
Sato Clothiers
Seafarer Leatherwear
Sears Roebuck and Co.
Security Diamond Co. Ltd.
Seiko Center Ltd.
Sera’s Surf N’ Shore House of Air Brush
Shirokiya
Singer Company
Skirts ‘N Blouses
Slipper House
Smitty’s Pancake House
Summer Place
Susie’s
Swiss Colony
Tahiti Imports
Territorial Savings & Loan Assn.
Thom McAn Shoe Store
Thom’s Barber Shop
Tiki Gems
Tobaccos of Hawaii
Tsuki’s Hair Styling
Tutu’s Grass Shack
Villa Roma
Vim & Vigor Foods
Waltah Clarke’s Hawaiian Shop
Watumull’s
Wikiwiki Coffee House
Wong’s Okazu-ya
Yami Soft Frozen Yogurt Shoppe

Recognize those names?  Brings back some old memories, eh?  I’ll admit that there are a few there that I don’t recall like Lydia O’Leary of Hawaii and Nettle Creek Shop of Ala Moana.

Europa Inc. – where was that in the mall?

And don’t forget about some places that used to be at Ala Moana Center prior to this list – such as Keiki Land.

And not just the merchants, but the areas around Ala Moana Center like:

The sand box

Ala Moana Sandbox

Or the Bird Cage

Ala Moana Bird Cage

Or the center of the mall water feature

Ala Moana Mall Fountain

Or the Liberty House side water feature

Ala Moana Water Feature

Here’s one of my memories.  It has to do with this water feature in front of J.C. Penneys

Ala Moana Water Feature Penney

See, I was too small at the time to see what was inside the upper part of the water feature, so I asked my dad to lift me up so I could see what was in it.  He said that there wasn’t any fish or anything – just water.  But I wanted to see for myself.  So he lifted me up and I was hanging on to side with my body.  As I slid down, the rough concrete slid across my stomach and scratched me up a bit.  Yeah, was little bit sore, but I didn’t say anything.

How about the events!  Remember when Ala Moana sidewalk sales really took place on the sidewalks?

Ala Moana Sidewalk Sale

Or when there was entertainment at the Center Stage.  Check out this picture of the band Greenwood performing at Center Stage.  Eh, isn’t that Robin Kimura?

Ala Moana Greenwood

Everyone feeling pretty nostalgic for the Ala Moana center that we remember?

Oh, here’s one.  It was the summer of ’72.  The Ala Moana Young People’s Hula Show used to do a performance every Tuesday and Thursday at around 1:00 or 2:00 PM.  (and a Sunday morning performance).  It had hula and Tahitian dancing and was mostly for the tourist.  But there was this one hapa-haole girl that I thought was so cute.  I was so mesmerized with the shaking of her hips during the Tahitian dancing and her pretty smile when she danced Hula.  I think I spent almost every Tuesday and Thursday that summer at Ala Moana Center.

(btw, does anyone remember if Kikaida ever made a stage appearance at Ala Moana Center Stage back in the 70’s?  The reader that is doing this project vaguely recalls going to see Kikaida at Center Stage, but isn’t really sure.)

Then later when I was in the 9th and 10th grade, we used to hang around Ala Moana to scab chicks network our “social club”.  We’d walk around the mall and randomly go up to a group of girls and ask them if they were in a social club.  You could pretty much tell which girls were also “networking” like us.  Then we’d exchange club cards, maybe talk story a bit, and hope that they invite us to a social.

Remember DJ’s Sound City record shop?  Street level, mauka/Sears side.  Remember the black light poster room that they had in the back?  And all the social club people would graffiti their club name on the posters in the room?  One time we were in there and my friend noticed some girls that we had met some time before.  They were from a Kaimuki/Kalani ’77 club named Dawn to Happiness.  So my friend starts to read out loud the Dawn to Happiness name on the posters.  And I’d echo their name too from another poster.  And soon enough, the girls ask us if we’re in a club and we start talking and exchange club cards.  They ended up to be our sister club.

And remember Ritz department store?  The men’s department was downstairs and they had a collection of club cards pinned up on a little boarder that went around the whole men’s department.  That was yet another place in Ala Moana Center that we networked our social club.

Okay, so what are some of you favorite memories of going to the old Ala Moana Shopping Center?  Or if you worked there, what was it like back in the day?  Share you perspectives/stories with us.  And who knows – maybe some of your comments will appear as part of the project.

***********************************************************************************************************

Update – KEIKI LAND pictures from Masako (and M).  Thanks you guys!

Ala Moana Keiki Land Masako1

Ala Moana Keiki Land Masako 2

Ala Moana Keiki Land Masako 3

277 Responses to “Do You Remember… Ala Moana Center (1979)”

1. JOHNNY SANTIAGO says:

Wow….do I love this site! I’m a McKinley grad ’84. Family all from Hawai’i, lived my life there until recently. But I have so many memories! Especially of Ala Moana and Keiki land! Didn’t they used to have some sort of small ride on water in there? Just a small turn around thing on water like a boat or something?

• Rodney says:

Heya Johnny – Yes, keikiland did have a boat ride! Good memory. It was like a merry-go-round on water. LOL

• JOHNNY SANTIAGO says:

THAT’S RIGHT! Wow….talk about a flood of memories with that. I was so small I thought they brought the ocean into the room with how it looked to me. LOL btw can we send you things like pictures from Hawaii’s past to put on your site? Mahalo!

2. Brian says:

Wow I am so stoked I found this site 🙂 Former Hawaii native from Moanalua Gardens, class of 86 Menehune. Anyway have not been home in like 20yrs now even though part of my family still lives there but after my time in the Navy I now live on the mainland.

Regarding Ala Moana SC? I used to work at Shirokiya as a Stock clerk from 1985 part time to 87 or so. I used to eat lunch at Jon’s, Pattie’s and Lynns. I also remember Farrels and that amusement park place oh and the International Cafe thingy. Oh well hope to hear from some of you and hope this topic is not so old no one sees it. I hope that this ole former S3 Viking pilot and current Fedex driver can get back home someday, so busy just never had the time as family always comes to visit us instead. Aloha gang!

@A.T. – Or doing the ol’ paper clip trick. Straighten out the paper clip, put one end in the talking part of the phone and the other end into the keyhole on the phone base, then a dial-tone would appear.

@Norma – Hi Norma! Welcome to the Midlife Crisis Hawaii blog. The Reindeer display! That’s right! I remember seeing (and smelling) the live reindeer! Good memory!

5. Norma says:

How about the Reindeer and taking pictures with Santa Claus downstairs in the middle of the mall. I can still smell it!

6. A.T. says:

Near those banquet rooms weren’t there about 5 pay phones in a circle. I remember always checking the change return to see if someone might have left money behind.
    How many of you remember taping the phones. You could tap the part that the receiver rested on and actually make calls without paying. We were such con men back in the day. I also remember grinding down pennies in industrial arts class to make dimes. Then use the dimes to buy soda at the bus stop. Wouldn’t you know it the biggest con man grew up to become a cop.

@Hbh – Yes, Ala Moana memories touch about all the MLCers who grew up in Hawaii. Always a popular topic.

@pat patterson – I remember those banquet rooms. IIRC – we had our high school Sophomore banquet there.

@Melissa K – Thank you for the nice comment. “Ala Moana is so ingrained in the identity of our local culture growing up here” – I couldn’t have said it better!

10. Hawai'ian by Heart says:

@Rodney

Really popular blog topic uncle.

11. Hawai'ian by Heart says:

@Rodney

Dis da dogs i rememba

12. pat patterson says:

Party center to buy morning breeze or fake dog poo….there use to be huge banquet rooms that could hold hundreds

13. Melissa K, says:

Rodney, this is an awesome post! I am sorry I took so long to respond with a comment. Ala Moana is so ingrained in the identity of our local culture growing up here. I remember playing in the sandbox and as I grew older, being enamored of Shirokiya and all the goodies there. Later on in high school, I recall all the cool kids who worked at the Rag Shop and wishing and dreaming on dresses at Otaheite. Some of my good friends like Melissa Chang worked with me at the Crack Seed Store during our college days. The mall has changed so much and there are places that I totally miss but I still love going there. Thank you so much for giving us these glimpses into the past and the good memories we had there!

@Maunalani – Aloha and welcome to the MLC blog! Yes, definitely a different era. So many things were exposed to us, but we didn’t dare take our chances messing with what wasn’t right. Everything was so innocent back in the day.

15. Maunalani says:

Just love the cigarette machine at Keiki Land! Talk about a different era.

16. mows says:

I just miss the old time feeling of AMC. Christmas time was very special for me as a child. Sears, Penny’s and LH of course. It’s just for rich tourists now ever since they built that third floor.

fishhead…..now that I have squeezed my brain cells long and hard (ouch) to try and remember your story about dat mustache dude. I think that one made the news. Or a friend told me about it. Small island back den brah! Ya? Fun story!

It was the Coconut Wireless!

…..LOL! Only in Hawai’i

19. fishhead says:

Mark Shelby, yeah was fun working there. let me share the most funniest thing that happened at the store. we displayed heavy hanging boxing bags you know da kind Rocky punches. A middle aged filipino man came in with a hot blonde at his side and started punching the bags. One of our employees told him to stop punching the bags then he turned red and went berserk hitting the bags with full force then his fake mustache fell to the ground. the hot blonde was so embarrass she walked out.

20. fishhead says:

Rod, great running in to you. Yes Honsport was at that location but in the earlier days they were located by the now Foodland and called Honolulu Sporting Goods

21. fishhead says:

khs68 at that time he was the best bodybuilder in the world but not a movie star yet. he posed and gave a seminar.

Honsport was one of my favorite stores in Ala Moana. I bought my first “Folding Hunter” Buck Knife with belt holster there in about 1969. Bought plenty pellet gun and .22 ammo. Tennis racket. Running shoes. T~shirts, shorts. Some days I would just walk around Honsport and dream. I think they did change location once within the mall.

@fishhead – How’s it going! Sorry I didn’t recognize you last week. Was Honsport always in the same place? That was street level, mauka facing, Liberty House side. I remember looking for it one time when I was at the mall with my mom. We looked all over for it. Even went down to the Coral level parking lot. LOL

Hey fishhead!! You picked up Arnold? Was he heavy? Just joking. Hope you got pictures.

@TraceyD – I think I know what you’re talking about. I looked something like a deep fried burrito. A big fat stumpy burrito. IIRC, it was at the end of the hot foods.

Looked something like this, but you couldn’t see the wrap edges. It looked more like a fried pillow.

khs68… yeh… that’s the one I wuz thinking about too… hot dog!!!

but… still miss the pastrami sandwich from Lynns…

27. fishhead says:

worked at Honsport from 73 thru 78. many memories over the years such as being robbed, chasing shoplifters down the mall and picking up Arnold Schwarzenegger from Waikiki to do some promotions at the store. those were the days.

khs68….that’s Kewl! Da hot dog. I remember all of the smells of Woolworth. Seems there was no other store quite like it.

Sometimes I used to walk through there just to “Smell” if they get anything new!……lol

Oops….typo…..Four Barrel Carburetor.

On dat 1968 Ford LTD Awesome car.

Here’s what a Woolworth’s hotdog looked like. It’s a New England hotdog bun. I want one now!!

dihudfan….HO! Those 1966 Valiant dayz! Yes it seemed like everyone had one. I’m thinking they liked the small engine and good gas mileage. Rather than the big V~8 cars. My best friends Dad had a green Valiant.

When we came of driving age his Dad would let him use it. My friend would try and punch it, and I would laugh!

I would laugh because I was driving my mom’s car. A 1968 Ford LTD two door with the 396 V~8 and a four baller carb!……hehe
    It was green with a green vinyl top! What the heck was up with everything Green back DEN?

And yes you could eat at Woolworth. I remember a long bar counter, makai side lower level next to sears. I think that theme was from long ago time, when they had a “General Store” across small town America.

Yay Woolworth’s had the best roast beef sandwich and fried chicken. They were sold at a kiosk/counter in the store. Also memorable was the hotdog served at the restaurant. Not the usual bun, but a super thick slice of bread split lengthwise and toasted.

33. TraceyD says:

@Seawalker – the thing I was trying to describe from Patti’s wasn’t crispy gau gee. It was much bigger–longer (a good 6 inches) and wider (2 inches at least) with a harder and thicker shell. I have never seen it anywhere else, and I’ve been to a lot of Chinese places! How about Sera’s and Dove shorts?

The funny thing I remebah about Ala Moana SC… I came home on leave from the Army in ’66… borrowed my dad’s car, a white Valiant Signet… parked the car and wen go shopping… wen I wuz done, didn’t remembah where I parked the car, had lots and lots of white valiants parked… so just waited til wuz closing time to find the car… did a lot of window shopping trying to kill time…

@AT… brought back some memories… used to cruise Shirokiya to check out the stereoe equipment, dream shopping…

trying to remembah… did Woolsworth have a hot roast beef sandwich place???

When we were kids in the 1960’s…..KPOI was da numba one!

Been Listening to KKOL tonight, tanks for the info. All the great songs from back in our good old dayz! I love it!

I love that radio station. Now I love it even more. I listen to it all the time…er except when Mufi’s on the air Saturdays. His voice is sooo creepy.

Congrats, Rod!

Eh, you somebody, yeah?

LOL.

khs68
    February 26th, 2014 at 12:09 pm

@Rodney: I just heard the DJ on 107.9 KKOL Cool Gold give your MLC Blog kudos …”Rodney Lee’s MLC blog got good stuff about closed eateries…check it out.”

I so proud!

Ah, you caught that! Pretty cool, eh? That’s Mike Tabura! During the 11:00 hour, it’s “small-kid-time” on his program and he likes to reminsce – like we do! Be sure to “like” the 107.9 Kool Gold facebook page.

“Friend” Makani On YourRadio too!

Hi Susan Carberry! Welcome to the MLC blog and thank you for sharing your Ala Moana memory with us. Honestly, I’ve never heard Kookie, Kookie Lend My Your Comb. Until now that is:

41. susan carberry says:

I bought my first 45 record “Kookie, Kookie Lend Me Your Comb” at Sears when it first opened. Lived in Hawaii for 49 years…what wonderful memories. Mahalo!

Garden Court was a favorite of my Grandmother. We would have lunch there every so often. I remember the pastry cart, sometimes it was so hard to choose. On special occasions we would go have Brunch. My mom used to like to have lunch at Hackfields. Good food. I also liked the Gazebo on the fourth floor, good food but cheaper than going to the restaurants. When I worked at Liberty House they had an employee cafeteria that I think served left overs from the restaurants. I miss those places.

@TraceyD – “…Patti’s Chinese Kitchen was the place to eat. For a cheap meal, a plate of chow funn with this lumpia like thing that I can’t remember the name of. It was at least three times the size of a lumpia with a thicker shell. Filled with chop suey yam and bits of char siu and dipped in a heavenly sweet sauce…”

That lumpia-like thing you had was probably crispy gau gee. It’s a meatier version of the crispy won ton and folded slightly different. Otherwise, same-same. Good when you eat it with the sweet and sour sauce or even with shoyu mustard.

Me, I liked the roast duck Patti’s used to serve. Chow fun, roast duck, and beef with broccoli. Think they used to designate it as the prince or princesses sizes. Always used to skip the soda because it would break my $5 budget.

44. Rich001 says:

@Masako, That was some time ago, I do remember having lots of girls coming by, and yes, some did hang out or pass by several times a day. That was one of the perks of working at Ed & Don’s, I actually met and dated several different girls back then. Also with the “social club” scene happening at its peak during the mid 70’s, I would get to meet them again at Ed & Don’s, and possibly give them a little bigger scoop of ice cream or a thicker milk shake. Fun times!

45. A.T. says:

Forgot to mention Garden Court Restaurant (currently Alan Wongs) and Hackfields but they were both part of Liberty House.

46. A.T. says:

Lets start at the Longs end of the mall. I remember my dad buying me lemon lime (green colored) soda from the soda machine at the exit of Longs. The cup would drop and soda and ice would fill the cup, it was amazing to me. The ground floor at Sears you could smell the fresh pop popcorn and the fresh cashews. A short walk would take you to Woolworth’s and you could see all the chicken and beef under the heated lights. The candied apple (the red kine) in the glass case with all the other food and candies. My dad and I would take a bee line to Patti’s Chinese Kitchen. Dad was old school and he had to go there for the beef tomato or tomato beef depending on what island you are from. I usually had the shoyu chicken and beef broccoli (I had to eat something with vegetables). To me it was such a treat. When I was older check out the girls going in and out of the San Francisco Rag shop. Head to Kramers to check out the Kennington knit shirts and Levi’s bell bottom corduroy. Off to Thom McCans to check out the hush puppies and flamalore shoes (not sure if that is the spelling but it was the shoes with the wavey rubber souls). Down to India Imports to smell the incense, check out the Bruce Lee black light poster and buy some buffalo sandals (the leather ones with the ring piece for you toe). Next stop Seafarer’s Leather to pick up a leather belt or cooler yet a leather visor. Don’t forget to stop at Liberty House to get some new hang ten or golden breed (it looked like hang ten but the male female symbol was embroidered instead of the two feet) shirts. Last stop Shirokiya to check out all the latest televisions and stereo equipment.

47. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Congrates Rodney

48. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@ankleBYTERS

Yeah that was many years ago, i can’t even rememba which floor had da t.vs 🙂 I do rememba da sample lady who displayed the cooking pans etc, she made grill cheese and other samples. lol

I so proud!

Hawai’ian by heart : that was MANY years ago…lol…I think the TVs were on the 3rd floor. I bought my first bass amp from Sears.

Also need to mention another PT night shift crew…he was my best man at my wedding and he became the bookstore manager at UH Hilo. He and I worked PT at HCC’s bookstore with ‘Lady’ (that’s another interesting story to tell) and right afterward drive to Sears to start our evening shift there.

I’m hoping the some of the night crew is reading this and contact me (Rodney has my email) as I haven’t seen any of them in almost 20 years.

@Hawai’ian by heart – I’m the one on the horse, the other two are hanabata days friends.

52. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Masako

Inquiring minds want to know, which picture is you and M? 🙂

53. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

Oh ok I see wat your saying uncle. Nice history page you found.

@Rich001 – Do you remember 3 girls hanging out at your store?

@Hbh- Actually, I’m talking about ’59. I was only a year old then, but from what I read – Ala Moana opened in 1959. The second phase opened up in 1966.

Check this out: http://alamoana.switchison.com/App_Content/SharedDocuments/Chronological%20Highlights2.pdf

56. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rich001

I was heart broken when i heard they closed down Ed & Don’s Ice Cream Parlor, so many memories.

57. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Mahalo, your right, but the japanese lanterns gives Shirokiya away. Yes your also right Woolworth had two floors. Im mostly familiar with the Makai side, ground floor next to Sears myself because that level had all the cool stuff.

58. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

Mahalo, you must be talking about 69′ then. Yeah because Shirokiya moved to the otherside of the mall right?. For awhile i was trying to figure out if it was the sears side or liberty house side of the mall i was looking at. Because during the 70s i remember Hotei-Ya being next to liberty house. And i didn’t remember Shirokiya being by Sears.

I am sitting here trying to squeeze my brain cells to rememba. I believe that Woolworth expanded to the upper floor. Once Ala Moana expanded and created the upper floor outdoor mall. I thought that was one massive feat! And I rode up that Escalator at Woolworth..

Remember the days of the new Escalators at Ala Moana? As it grew!

But Woolworth had two floors…..just remembered.

Rodney….I always thought Woolworth was always on the Makai side, ground floor next to Sears. That’s where I went in anyway. Used to eat there sometimes. I think they had a diner.

@Hbh – Yes, in the sidewalk sale picture, that is indeed Shirokiya next to Longs. This picture is from when just the first phase of Ala Moana opened up. It went from Sears only to McInerny.
    Later on when the other half opened up, Shirokiya moved and Woolwoths took its old spot next to Longs. Actually, the Woolworths coffee shop was right next to Longs, then the department store.

@Rich001 – Thanks for joining us and sharing your memories of the old Ala Moana center. Those were the days, eh?

Fish Mongers came later on the new upper floor, I believe.

Fish Mongers! Now that’s a blast from the past!

On another note. Once Ward Warehouse opened up, did you find yourself going there more just to check this new thing out? Small ya, but new.

67. Rich001 says:

I worked at Ed & Don’s Ice Cream Parlor back in the 70’s for several years, we were located right next to the center stage. While the Ed & Don’s Candy store was mall level, across from McInerny. I really looked forward to going to work, if you can call it that… we really had some fun times back then… scooping ice cream (single scoop or double scoop?), making hot fudge sundaes, Alaskan Root beers, and all the other ice cream creations! Most of the other workers were all high school or just working their way through UH, so we would hang out after work at the beach, drinking some beers and grilling steaks.
    I gotta say, I miss those younger days…
    We would frequent a lot of the eateries for meals (Orange Julius, Jon’s, Patti’s, Lyn’s Deli, etc.) and got to know the workers well enough whereby we would sometimes get free food. And then we would reciprocate and get them some free ice cream.

Christmas program on the Sears entrance roof, ewa parking lot… carry over from the old Sears at Young,Kalakaua and Beretania…
    Just loved the smell of pop corn when you came down to the ground floor of Sears…
    Lynns Pastrami sandwiches were the best…
    Seafood Pasta at the Fish Monger’s…
    teri burgers at Orange Julius, winnahs…
    one of my aunties used always buy dresses for my girl from Carol and Mary… could only wear them going to special occasions…

Hawai’ian by heart……Look really close at the sidewalk sale pic. See in the upper right side.

The….. “SH” sign……….?

I would say this pic is in front of Shirokiya.

At times, there would be an entire center mall sidewalk sale. Every store had goodies outside for sale.

But yes, Sears did their own Sidewalk Sales many times by placing ads in the newspaper to bring the people in.

At one time in the 1970’s…….does anyone remember a women’s store called “Sweet Okole”……? Somehow I remember this store and thought it was a clever name.

I am not a cross dresser though…..and never hung around Hotel Street at night!……LOL

71. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

Da picture ov da side walk sale uncle, Is dat sa Sears end of da mall? And da store wit da japanese lanterns, is dat Shirokiya? and da store in between isnt dat Longs Drugs or ABCs? Trying to knock some cobwebs lol.

I was searching for pics of old Ala Moana shopping center and I found this link. Not too many AMC…..but plenty good pics of Hawaii, with a gps style map locator. Interesting site for pics. You may enjoy this, and bring back memories of areas you have been.

It’s interesting how in the old days, a cigarette machine could be in the same area as a kiddie play place. Nobody thought anything of cigs back then. No way today.

And seemed like everyone was smoking.

Remember when you had to smoke “KOOLS”……to be cool?

Not me, I was never a smoker, just tried them a few times.

74. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Good Morning M

75. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Funny question guys? Does anyone have a craving for an Orange Julius and Omg! i would give years of my life for a real beef Teriyaki sandwich. Not a Teriyaki hamburger.

76. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G,Mark Shelby

Lol i saw the cigarette machine too, but i was just really tripping on the photos because ive spent years trying to find anything on Kieki Land.

Yeah the cigarette thing is kinda different, i remember running to the bar that was connected to our aptment bulding and buying cigarettes for my mother after she’d work a double and forgot. No adult would say a thing. Try that now and see what happens.

Guud morningMLCers!

4G….I saw that old cigarette machine too! ….LOL

I think you could stick a quarter in and get a pack of cigarettes back den!

I remember buying a few at the Kahala Bowl……Don’t tell my Mom!

@M and @Masako – thanks for sharing those pics. Look like they was taken with one Brownie camera, too! LOL.

I was getting a kick out of that last one – check the cigarette machine in the background. LOL – when was the last time you saw one of those? 😉

Cigs were probably between 25 and 50 cents back then. Today, need one credit card reader! LOL.

Hmmm – Jon’s – was that the place that had some pretty good burgers? I have only a faint recollection – or, am I making that up? LOL.

“flat tire” – wen your rubbah slippah strap “blows out”.

LOL.

Hawai’ian by heart….I remember you telling us of all of your walking. And our parents just let us go in the good old days.

By the time I was 12 years old I saved up enough money to buy a 12 speed Schwinn bicycle. From my paper route money. Now I had Real wheels! Now I could go!

The fun story about my first Schwinn is this……My good family friend Bill Stone, who owned Wigwam Quality Furniture, where I later worked in high school, knew the owner of Ike Cyclery. So I asked Bill if he could get me a discount on a Schwinn Varsity.

Bill told me he would work on it. I always wanted a good deal like my Dad always taught me.

The very next day, a brand new green Schwinn Varsity showed up in my backyard on Diamond head. I called up Bill and said this is awesome, how much do I owe you!

He said nothing. He bought it for me and gave it to me. Bill was my Dad’s life long friend.

One of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me…….and it was only a bike. But to one little kid, that’s a really big deal!

My Dad Later bought Wigwam Quality Furniture and turned it into…..”The Marsh Company Home Furnishings”.

Where I actually had worked after school, while in high school before.

83. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark Shelby

Yeah bruddah, I was reflecting recently on how we were in great shape as keiki back den. I rememba how i used to walk from school, home(kapahulu street) to Ala Moana Shopping Center and back at least 3 to 4 times a week. Guud shape walking alot.

84. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

Your quote: Just my opinion since I’ve only been back in Hawaii since 2002, but to me things changed when Needless Markup (Neiman’s) opened. Then came Chanel, Prada, Louie…and wat’s up wid Vera Bradley? Take-off on ol’ time japanee school cloth bags. End quote:

This was what i was saying to Rodney about forgetting or taking things fo grantted in Hawai’i. None of da changes would of happened if some people hadn’t lost there minds and forgotten da fact that they in paradise already. Its when we forget and take things for grantted that some people seek the Channel, prada etc etc to cure the grass is always greener bug. But that hole can neva be filled dat way.

Hawai’ian by heart……ya…..plenty blistahs in da good ‘ole dayz of Hawai’i Braddah. So much to see…..so little time! Juz had to go!

86. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Oh ouch, da slippah blistahs, between da big toe!

87. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Masako & M

Mahalo, tanks fo da pictures of keiki land guys. Guud memories.

88. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

Your quote: I met my first hubby in the 9th grade at Woolworth’s record department. He was checking me out and I was making Japanee (coy). end quote:

Wat! you tell me asian waihine arnt coy, passive, quiet? lmbo da cruelity auntie 🙂

khs68……Nite! Many Tanks fo da chat!

Catch you on the flip side.

khs68…..actually, I think I can do everything I need to do from my house On Diamond Head, while riding my bike.

Any long distance like Makapuu or North Shore, guess I have to drive. Unless I take Da Bus and make it a whole day trip.

I had to take my mother to the doctor in the Ala Moana building today. Whoa, talk about traffic jam-up. Yikes!!

@Mark Shelby: Speed limits? We don’t need no stinkin’ speed limits. We free and natural. 😆

khs68…once the H~1 got so packed every morning in the 1980’s. I started taking the surface streets to work in Kalihi. Mo Fass!

Aloha Pam! Yes you know Tony Nakamoto was my friend! He gave me several tours of his Orchid Farm back yard in Kaimuki! Thanks for posting up! I wished you would! I bet I still get Liberty House boxes at my Mom’s house in Kahala.

khs68….H~1 in town was always 45 mph. I thought , so slow aftah my trips to da mainland and get 65 and 75mph!

Now when you get out of town and on the H~2…..it went up to 55. But still too slow. I have no idea what they were thinking back in those good old days.

97. Pam says:

Sure do! I remember shopping at Sears for school clothes and especially at Christmastime! One of my first jobs was at the Hub Mesnwear Store where I worked for Tony Nakamoto, a local who told me first hand stories of the Pearl Harbor attack. Tony went to our church, the Church of the Nazarene on Judd street and he had an orchid greenhouse like no other! He brought the ladies orchids to church regularly.

Ala Moana mall was beautiful! Liberty house boxes from the 70’s are still in my house to this day!

@Mark Shelby: Dunno wat the speed limit is ‘cuz I always go 60 mph unless get blue light behind me. I got one hemi under the hood. Das my excuse and I sticking wid it.

khs68….still get 45 mph speed limit in town? I can almost ride mu Bike dat Fass!……LOL

I even remember when there was NO H~1

I remember all of the construction on Kalanianaole Highway when they widened the road. Many people lost some of their land.

People were very angry about this! I had a house on Mariners Ridge in the 1980’s that I bought for my new wife and my future children. 1093 Kalihiwai Place.

Views to Sandy Beach and Molokai! I could see the lighthouse at Kalaupapa at night flashing! What a special place!

To all of you who are anxiously awaiting Bloomingdales…
    I’ve been there, done that for 14 years in NYC. Ain’t no beeg ting. Barneys mo betta. Saks? Meh!

@Mark Shelby: somethings are still the same if you just gotta stay in your familiar neighborhood. When we moved back here I was amazed how wide Kalanianaole was all the way from Aina Koa to Hawaii Kai. But now, the lolos decided to make three lanes into four lanes on the freeway both directions from Makiki to Fort Shafter. Wat? If you stay cross-eyed and no can stay in the narrow lane, then side-swipe collision for sure.

khs68….I walked the Sears floors ever since I was a little kid. Even though we owned Wigwam. Sears was a very special place for all people of our Islands!

I still remember the popcorn smell. And the peanut lady tables. I think when she was closed, she put one long piece of fabric over all of the glass containers. That way you knew she was closed and gone home.

I used to lift it up and peak!…..hehe

khs68….I am almost afraid to go back. My own daughter told me when she was going to Chaminade…..you won’t like it here anymore Dad. It’s not like when you used to take us here all the time when we were little to visit Grandma and Grandpa. It’s 24/7 crowded. Traffic everywhere. And rude people. It’s not like the good old days Dad! And she was only born in Kapiolani Children’s in 1987.

@Mark Shelby: Yea, and Sears is now Bloomingdales! No kidding! 😆

@Mark Shelby: Where you been? Oops, gomen…das right you not hea. Yep, “took all the trees and put ’em in a tree museum…”

IZ: UA MAU KE EA O KA AINA I KA PONO O HAWAI

khs68…..OMG! Longs is now CVS? Everybody selling out to da big corporations! Is nothing scared anymore!

Fun pics Rodney. I think I can even remember Ala Moana having a train that the kids could ride in, usually around Christmas time. The busiest time of year. Is was on wheels not a track. And it took the kids all over the center open air area. I always had fun watching the kids laughing and smiling!

@Mark Shelby: I mo sked of the speeding shopping carts coming up behind me. 😆

@Mark Shelby: Longs (CVS) now has a new program that requires you to sign up for an “extra care card”. If you don’t have one then you can’t buy stuff at the sale price. Wat da heck?

khs68…….

@Mark Shelby: I know. 😆

Do you find yourself protecting your rabbah slippahs….especially when someone is walking very close behind you?

You start taking shorter steps, and shuffle your feet so you don’t get the dredded….rubbah slippah wipeout from da bugga behind you, who wen step on the back of your rubbah slippah!

Sometimes I used to even stop walking and let them go around me!

……LOL

Keiki Land pictures added to the original post. Courtesy of Masako and M.

Did you used to just wait for the Sunday Morning Newspaper….so you could check out the Longs Drug Store Ads? And you could hardly wait to check em out?

Then you would rush down to Longs, before all of the good on sale stuffs was all sold out!

I Did!…..LOL

Holy crap…Ala Moana Center sits on 2,100,000 square feet. At 25 cents a square foot, it would’ve been $525,000. High in those days, but small change now. Cannot even buy a house in Waialae Iki for that amount. Gomen, I’m an accountant so no can help working the numbas.

I always thought Longs Drugs in Ala Moana was more upscale. Even though it was smaller than a normal one. Why? Well, because it was in the Ala Moana Shopping Center. It even smelled better somehow! And only classy people shopped in dis Longs Drugs! Because they were shopping at the Ala Moana Shopping Center!…..lol

TraceyD
    February 24th, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Wow, this brought back memories. A man offered my grand uncle to purchase the land under Ala Moana for 25 cents a square foot. He declined because it was just swamp land back then. What could have been for him or perhaps Ala Moana would not have existed if he purchased the land and developed it into something else. My mom and I would go to Thom McAn to purchase “Jox” for me because we couldn’t afford the name brand shoes at Honsport. Patti’s Chinese Kitchen was the place to eat. For a cheap meal, a plate of chow funn with this lumpia like thing that I can’t remember the name of. It was at least three times the size of a lumpia with a thicker shell. Filled with chop suey yam and bits of char siu and dipped in a heavenly sweet sauce. The sand box, the smell and sound of Sears popcorn, and watching the green river drink mixing in the dispenser at Woolworth’s bring back fond memories. And yes, that Sidewalk Sale especially near Sears was truly a Sidewalk Sale.

Hi TraceyD and welcome to the MLC blog! Thank you for sharing your stories with us. I remember the Sears sidewalk sale tables all outside between them and Longs. And on the other side to across of Security Diamond. Or was it Conrad Jewelers?

Oh nuts…I neva finish. …and the damn strap comes out and you trip and make shame. Gomen for the digression.

OT. Speaking of rubbah slippahs… How come the dog always bite off the round part of the toe strap? You know, the part that is underneath the slippah? And you only find out it’s gone when you put your feet in the slippah and the damn strap comes out?

@Mark Shelby: I know. 😆

khs68…..hehe

I remember hopping in the sand on Waikiki Beach too! Or Makapuu! Especially Makapuu! Down that long sandy hill. I would hop and yell out…..HOP HOP HOP! OUCH OUCH OUCH! …….LOL!!!!!!!

Then I learned if you buried your foot in the sand, like walk hard. Only the top of your foot got burnt! Still sore!

Funny the simple stuffs we remember ya?

Yep, blistahs always happened between the big toe and the pointer toe because of that darn in-between slippah strap action. But you brave going “hadashi” in the summertime. Hop, hop, get on the good foot!

Sometimes wen my slippahs started hurting. I jus took them off and went barefoot. But crossing the street on the blacktop in the summer waz hot! You had to jump when you walk! Youch!

@Mark Shelby: No kid! We did this almost everyday during the summer when summer vacation was June – August.

khs68…..sore toe ya? Many times one Blistah!

I remember walking to Ala Moana beach before the center was finished. We walked on Waiola Street, cut through Kalakaua Housing, stopped at Holiday Smart, and zig zagged Kapiolani to Atkinson. All this in rubbah slippahs because there was no such thing as Nikes and Reeboks.

I still remember when we referred to this area as Kalia. And I remember the stink when families were forced out to build the Ala Moana Shopping Center. That anger lasted for years.

The history behind Ala Moana

128. keoni says:

I was fortunate enough to see Ala Moana in 1980 while it was still much like you all describe it. I thought it was so neat with the coco palms being allowed to stay right where they were and growing up through the upper level, etc. The center had character then as opposed to today. Inside is the same as a hundred other malls around the country – sterile!

@Seawalker: Comedian! 😉

@khs – Woolworth record department, was this song playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWwM2wwMww 😆

Wait a minute… I’m starting to see the birdcage now. It was towards the Liberty House side, no?

@Seawalker: Warubozu!

I remember those fountains well at Ala Moana. One time, we used our fingers to plug up the nozzle to squirt the water farther. Well, the water squirted a wahine walking by. “Pack”, my mother slapped my head. “Rumph”, my father kicked my ass. Golly, it was an accident and I was trying to have some fun only!

I met my first hubby in the 9th grade at Woolworth’s record department. He was checking me out and I was making Japanee (coy). 😆

@Seawalker – too bad they charge to get in. WWD? Don’t we pay enough taxes? K, ‘nough back to the Ala Mode experiences.

One more for Da Kine… Pidgin

“oily buggah” a shady guy, someone who can also be pilau

@khs – Might as well call it haunt-ma bay. The Bay is shaped like a toilet bowl anyway. Used to like going out there when I was younger. Wasn’t a good swimmer back then, but with a snorkel and mask, you went way out. The water was clear and the fishes added to it. Got my first nasty sunburn from that place.

For real not kidding…afta a while those buffalo slippahs were rank.

@Seawalker: Funny guy 🙂

@khs – Haunaz? You sure not the buffalo slippas instead? LOL

Just what is it about Ala Modes that fills the air with love? Never got to work at the Mall, but took inventory at Ritz Men Store one Saturday evening. I’ve never seen her before. Behold, I got paired up with her as my partner to do the counting and recording. She was beautiful. She was sweet. I was in heaven. I forget her name, but some things just trigger a memory in you.

OT…just heard somebody on TV say: “Hauna-ma Bay”. K, I don’t know about everybody else, but I not swimming someplace hauna. Sorry for the distraction.

For the life of me, I cannot remember the bird cage. It looks huge compared to the man near it. Bird-brain!

@Mark’75 – Yeah, you supposed to wet them while wearing so they fit to your feet. Anyways, that’s what we were told by the salesclerk. Maybe ‘cuz us girls had skinny minnie feets?

@Seawalker! You said it well.

And, what is up with them (GGP) banning the Salvation Army kettles? 🙁

And, I’m pretty sure those kinds of memories never die . . . . 🙂

The memories of Ala Modes also stem to Christmas time. Yes, it was the Christmas trees up along with all the ornaments @4G damaged. 😆 It was the big Santa Claus in the center of the mall. It was the constant ringing of the bells at both ends of the mall from the Salvation Army. It was just a special place to be as a kid. Almost like Disneyland, but at the shopping mall. A few years back, my kid sang solo on center stage for their music club. This was also during Christmas time. Just hope the memories created will never go away and last forever.

LOL! ” . . . down to an art”. Duh! Meant, ” . . . down to a science.”

@4G: You summed it up. Sears was the place we grew up around.

I dunno. Ala Moana Center (AMC) plays a lot in my memory of growing up. That said, AMC just says, “Sears” to me. Maybe it’s because, growing up, it seems like ALL of the mid to major purchases for me (and my family, in general) were from Sears. I think it would be true to say that a large majority of my early year’s exposure to AMC were spent centered around Sears. My childhood memories of parking at AMC seem to be exclusively of parking outside the “main” entrance to Sears – mall level, makai/ewa, under the big “Sears” sign.

I guess, for me, all of the changes that AMC has been through over the years never really stuck out for me – but the loss of Sears struck a chord. I think that the physical loss of the actual space plays a big part, too – but, still . . . .

Some of my earliest childhood memories have Sears in them. I can’t even remember how old I was, but likely in the area of pre-school years, I have a memory of “wandering” (exploring) the “not open for business” peanut lady’s “stand” (a work table with a full length, overall green skirt with horizontal stripes). I remember running up and down that sidewalk under the big Sears sign. The ground level of Sears was ALWAYS accompanied by the smell of freshly popped popcorn. Oh, the joy of having the treat of actually getting to EAT some of that popcorn! LOL.

Back in its heyday, it seemed like their slogan, “Sears has everything” was literally true. Back to school shopping was done at Sears. Their toy department was absolutely killer. Major appliances, from vacuums to washing machines were purchased from Sears. I mean, your TV came from Sears! LOL.

My first bike came from Sears. My first set of tools was Craftsman. We got our Christmas trees there. You bought tires and batteries for your car there. H3ll, you had your car serviced there, too! Sears had a reputation of taking good care of their employees way back when, too.

My memory says that they seemed to have that whole catalog thing down to an art, back in its heyday – I’m talking “Christmas Wish Book” kind of heyday . . . .

@khs68: Wow, I didn’t know you had to form those buffalo slippers to your feet in water!

Here is a pic of old Ala Moana I wanted to show you. And other great pics here. Note how this describes the coral filled swamp which I mentioned above with the dredging of Ala Moana Beach coral.

Seen here from the top of the Hawaiian Life building, Ala Moana Center opened 42 years ago on the site of what had been a coral-filled swamp. It had 87 stores and 4,000 parking spaces; Sears was the anchor tenant. Today it has 230 stores and 9,000 parking spaces. The $25 million shopping center opened in August 1959, the same year Hawaii attained statehood. It changed Hawaii’s retail landscape and meant the end of downtown as the main place Honolulu shopped.

Still have and using my engraved Tumi wallet I got from the Pocketbook Man. Egad, that was a while ago. But what the heck? It’s not the age your wallet, but, rather, what’s inside your wallet that counts.

When had Liberty House and JC Penneys on the mall, I remember returning an aloha shirt with a JCP tag at LH. Somehow, the tag “fell” off and both JCP and LH carried the same shirt. And it was more expensive at LH and they gave cash for the return.

Baddah bing! So off I went to JCP to buy 4 more shirts and somehow the tags got lost again. Then, I returned them at LH. Payday! No lemonade stands for me.

And how else you going to have money in your Tumi wallet? LOL

153. TraceyD says:

I used to buy all of my WWll model aircraft at Pete’s. Put them together, then paint them. Then I would hang them from my bedroom ceiling with fishing line, in a flying/diving position. Then when the trade winds would blow through my louvers, the planes would sway like they were flying. It was the Kewlist ting!

Pete’s Modelcraft was the best (and only?) hobby store in town. Like a lot of kids our age, I built plastic models and Pete’s was THE place! Seeing the variety of kits and built ups on display was something. It was a sad day when they closed.

In the good old dayz….it was popular for the ladies to buy their own fabric, and sew their own muumuu’s and aloha shirts. Big business back then.

We also had a Dodies in Aina Hina….Hauula….and Kailua. The Hauula store was in our same old Wigwam Store location in the little strip mall there, when we closed Wigwam of Hauula.

Maybe more locations, but that’s what I can remember right now

@Mark Shelby: Maybe that’s where I recall Dodies!

Mark’75….for years my Dad and Wigwam Stores held the lease at 404 Piikoi. I think long ago there may have been a Wigwam Store there. Then Later a Dodies fabric store. Then in the end we leased out 404 to Records Hawaii.

I think the last time I saw that location it was a Ross Dress for Less.

Didn’t say I was in high school.

Woah! Check out how Kewl this is! Just found it….

Aerial Photography of Oahu

He must be using a small drone with a small camera.

From Sears, I’d often walk down the stairs by automotive and across to Records Hawaii, 404 Piikoi, and check out their records.

163. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark’75

Dats an 80s song uncle. Highschool lol

Sears had a good record department. Was cheaper than the other record stores. I remember buying cassettes for $6.49, like James Gang, Jethro Tull, Carlos Santana, and others.
    One was a Moody Blues tape with this song:

Connie Conrad’s real name was: Conrad Conrad. Talk about no imagination… just kidding I tink.

@4G – yep, and I bet all the Dads of that generation wore the same kine BBdees, too.

Security Diamond and Conrad Jeweler’s. LOL – at least, that’s the way I remember the commercial . . . . 😉

@khs68 – I swear, my dad used the EXACT same line on my sister. Neva work for him, either! 😉

It was Christmas when the big Santa went up in the mall parking lot, overlooking Ala Moana Beach Park.

I remember those humongous, hollow, reflective Christmas ornaments that they used to put on the Evergreens. A large number of them were dented – some rascals must have punched them or something . . . . LOL – eh, wasn’t me!

I got my ears pierced at Security Diamond against my Dad’s wishes. He told me, “why do you want to put another hole in your head? Don’t you have enough?” Was that rhetorical, Dad?

Anywhos… I was going to let my friend do the piercing but not after watching her using a “turkey needle” to do my other friend. She poked it all crooked so the needle was hitting the bone behind the ear instead of coming through the lobe. Dats wen I said, “No ways.”

Remember when JC Penney sold tools and automotive on their basement level facing Mauka? Trying to be like Sears I guess.

171. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G

Tanks you conformed my memory is correct. Guud im not completely haolefied yet lol.:-)

172. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G

Dats were we got ours too.

@Hbh – India Imports was also a bit of a head shop. 😉

I remember when THE hangout for retirees was on the wall right outside of Sears on the mall (by Long’s). Then, they seem to have all migrated to McDonald’s (when it was on the makai-side) . . . .

LOL.

175. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G

Ho uncle, i rememba xmas trees in the makai/ewa portion of the ground floor parking lot outside of Sears too.

176. Hawai'ian by heart says:

IIRC, India Imports was the shop that burned incense, had black light posters and hippie stuff right? I remember always going to a store like this and looking at da posters lol. 🙂

@khs68 – LOL!

It seems like the ONLY place we got Christmas trees was from Sears (Home and Garden). They would set-up in the makai/ewa portion of the ground floor parking lot.

I remember HR Block setting up their temporary “tax offices” on the ground floor in Sears.

@4G – WAT??? Bad boy.

@4G – I believe you… 😆

180. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Sure got quiet all of a sudden lol

@khs68 – LOL! I was getting my pumps dyed! 😉

@khs68 – shhh, no tell nobody, but Chandler’s and dying shoes to match prom dress rings a bell. No, I never have my pumps dyed there. 😉 Must have been my sister or something . . . .

@4G – Wat were you doing in Villa Roma? They sold only chick clothes.

184. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Thats also on thing i miss about home. All the gorgeous and nice people.

IIRC, I think DQ was in Ala Moana, then left, then came back with Orange Julius . . . .

I miss Byron II’s french onion soup!

186. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68,4G

You got to admit that it must of been a very hard job hiring nani wahini in Oahu? Because there are so many of dem 🙂

@khs68 – never knew about songleaders and Villa Roma. Makes total sense now that I think about it. No wonder they were so attractive! 😉

In retrospect, I wonder how come Ala Moana didn’t have a fallout shelter??? Maybe too swampy . . . . LOL.

@4G – Villa Roma hired mainly high school songleaders looking for part-time jobs. Same hiring practice as Zippy’s when it first opened.

The Sears toy section was THE BOMB!

I remember buying Angel’s Flights from Kramer’s . . . . LOL!

192. Hawai'ian by heart says:

You know what was weird about ala moana during our time? It didn’t even have an arcade like pearlridge did? Pearlridges arcade in da 70s was the bomb.

Anyone remember the toy section at Sears huge! I remember how crazy it was when the first atari and star wars toys came out. Auwe crazy.

India Imports buffalo slippers. Had to put ’em on then soak in water to conform to your feet. I was always worried wearing them in the rain — wat if dey shrink some more? 😆

Da Shoppe was in Ala Moana? I kinda/sorta have a fuzzy recollection . . . . At any rate, I was gonna say that Villa Roma (and Da Shoppe, now – LOL) seemed to have the most attractive sales girls. 😉

@Hawaiian by heart: Not sure about the ceilings.

196. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

lol auntie

@Hbh: Das probably because it was a false ceiling for all the CCTV spy cams to catch shoplifters. Just joking…

@4G’s ’69 list: Chandler’s Shoes. The place to get satin pumps dyed to match the prom gown. And, Hino’s Dry Goods for fabric to make the prom gown.

199. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

I want to help this young person with there paper. Is there anything specific answer wise that would help? What exactly is he or she looking for uncle?

200. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark’75

Was it me? but didn’t woolworths ceiling seem short compaired to the rest of the mall.

One thing that used to irk me at Woolworth was that after buying something, they’d fold over the top of the paper sack and staple on the receipt. I used to think, “What, you think I going steal something?” Just policy I suppose.

@Hbh – cool! 🙂

I used to go to Kramers for t-shirts and board shorts by Hang Ten and Golden Breed.

204. Hawai'ian by heart says:

I miss Ed & Don’s Candies & Ice Cream, i remember they had this awsome merachino cherry icecream to die for.

205. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G

I understand, we weren’t rich either lol. No offence taken, just misunderstand your post. We cool uncle.

I watched them build Ala Moana Shopping center. Driving by as a kid with my Dad, we would stop and check it out. I remember them dredging Ala Moana beach and Magic Island area for coral to use as the foundation for the shopping center buildings. When I have time, I will try to look for old pics I have seen on da net.

Ever wonder why Ala Moana Beach has no coral right up to da sandy beach? And the coral is about 100 yards + outside.

Das Why!

@Hbh – Huh? Sorry, my comment on Keikiland was not directed at you. I was trying to say (obviously, not very well – LOL), that I was aware of its existence – I even have an image in my mind of the “covered cars” of the miniature ferris wheel.

But – LOL – I don’t recall ever riding any of the rides there. More importantly, I don’t recall passing by it very often – thus my suspicion that my parents purposely avoided the area – most likely so they wouldn’t have to say, “No” to the kids pestering them about wanting to ride something . . . . This was most likely for economic reasons (no mo’ money to spend on such frivolities) and I’m cool with that . . . . 😉

208. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G

Your quote: I think we were purposely diverted AWAY from Keikiland. LOL. End quote

Itz ok, i know all my uncles and aunties on here were like highschool age when i was small kid experiencing this. No this is your site, i don’t want to take away from you. But you aunties and uncles are the only ones ive found who know what the heck im talking about when it comes to old places.

Please feel free to say something to me ok, im very passionate about these issues and places and can get carried away talking wise. Its not my intention to be rude ok. I just see things from small kid times.

@4G: The print was real popular and came in different colors like blue, brown, green, red, and purple. Sorta like Peter Max design.

Oops; missed House of Music in the original list. I miss that store a lot!

I think we were purposely diverted AWAY from Keikiland. LOL.

@Mark”75 – hmmm-that print doesn’t ring any bells for me. I have a vague recollection of an Otaheite print that was kind of a “black and white” in brown hues – with a topless woman? LOL.

From the 1969 list, I miss:

Pete’s Modelcraft
    Pocketbook Man
    Sears
    Seiko
    Tobaccos of Hawaii
    The old Shirokiya

Hmmm – I guess Party Center was closed by 1969?

In high school, Otaheite was my go-to place for aloha shirts. Among the many prints, this one was my favorite. The material, not the halter top!

215. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark’75

Ho uncle, Hotei-Ya is were they had all the tin toys of ultraman, kikaida, giant japanese robots. You just solved a mysterie from the last Ala Moana Thread. tanks

216. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark’75

Wow truthful, i was fortunate to get the tailend of Keiki Land because if i remember they closed mid 70s?

Hotei-Ya had a pretty big toy department. I wasn’t into the tin toys, although they’re quite collectible today. I got a few of those wooden Japanese puzzles that started off as a barrel or ball, but I could never quite get them to look like that again…hmmm…must be me 😆

218. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

At least you remember shopping lol, I rememba stuff like Halloween comming and making it a journey and mission for myself to travel to every store like A B C Discount Store, Longs, J C Penney, Woolworth and Sears etc just to look at all the Halloween stuff lol. Same with christmas.

@Mark’75
    I always had the get out of jail card for scabbing, in the 70s i was 0-10years old lol. And cute too 🙂

I remember when Liberty House had its One Day Sale and the place went nuts. Was more crazy than Christmas shopping! People’s arms were loaded with bargains, fighting on to get some more. Just not the same today with Macy’s having One Day Sales each week.

220. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Mark’75

Yeah the plastic smell was strong back den. oh your right who could forget the popcorn smell of sears. yum!

Honsport was the place to buy my Adidas basketball shoes and talk story with fishhead ❗

Keiki Land. I remember long ago when Ala Moana was half its size, Keiki Land occupied the space where Macy’s is now. Thinking waaay back, I recall a go-kart track with bales of hay.
    After the mall expanded, Keiki Land moved to a small room which was still big enough for a (small) ferris wheel. Among the games I recall skeeball and that bowling game where you rolled a hard brown ball down the lane and the pins flipped upwards.

I remember that Woolworth smell Hawaiian by heart described. I think if we were led into these stores blindfolded, we’d guess pretty good where we are:
    Popcorn: Sears
    Incense: India Imports
    Longs….smells like any other Longs here and on the mainland.
    Japanese store smelling stuff: Iida’s or Hotei-Ya

Seafarer Leather made the best brown leather belts with daisies and other floral designs stamped in. I remember a lot of girls carrying their handbags also.

Unwritten rule to scabbing: Buy something. ANYTHING. So that by carrying a package, you not making obvious!! 😆

On our family outings to Ala Moana, the bird cage was THE place designated to regroup. Dad would set a time, and we all had to be back at this spot promptly. Gee, maybe that’s why we are so much more conscious about time than our kids.

@Hbh – I honestly don’t remember the bird cage either. Probably because I hardly shopped in Liberty House. Mom only took us to Sears. LOL

228. Jibo's Brother says:

Wasn’t there a Benihana’s above or near Shirokiya?

There is this restaurant in Waipahu that just closed, when I read about the history, it said the chef was brought over from Japan to open the restaurant above Shirokya and it was called Hanabishi.

230. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney & Craig

Sorry tried to find an old map of ala moana to find the restaurant, no luck.

Craig
    February 24th, 2014 at 8:38 am

What was the name of the Japanese restaurant above Shirokiya. I think it was at the top of the stairs by the birdcage?

Welcome to the MLC blog, Craig! I don’t remember the name of the restaurant above Shirokiya.

Anyone?

232. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Masako

Mahalo sistah for sharing your experience, i can feel your love for your past and can relate.

233. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

Cont from last post

This in my opinion is true profit.

234. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

No arguments, ive seen pictures of modern ala moana. Nothing like the old ala moana except maybe the koa fish ponds. Idk its like I said “People take things for grantted forgetting how gorgeous things are” Truth i don’t think the new Ala Moana is as pretty as the old” Sure it has all the new stores etc. But i argue with people about this sometimes. If you want the mainland? Then why move to Hawai’i.

Me personally my old memories of Ala Moana or Oahu have nothing to do with “wow i loved buying stuff here” or anything related to materialism”. Old places like Ala Moana had importance to me not for practical purposes but the feelings attached to them while experiencing them. And i believe thats true for most people who are MLC.

Even today i seek this form of value in my life, while struggling in a land of conveniences and instant graditute and lack of emotionalism. for i again want to feel what it felt like to play in the sandbox in ala moana or experiencing the rides at keiki land for the first time.

My third job at Ala Moana was working for GBC, gift wrapping at Sears and working at their little store in Guava lane which was what McInerny turned into after it closed. Guava Lane was fun, mostly other people my age working at the different concessions so on slow nights we would talk story. On that job I got to wrap presents for a few Celebrities, Imelda Marco’s used to come into Guava lane to buy her grandkids clothes at the place next to GBC. Sears was good too, even though we were a concession they gave us nice discounts and I was able to take my family to the family night for Christmas shopping. Its was sad when Guava land closed down and now Sears is gone too.

My second Ala Moana job was gift wrapping at Liberty house during the Christmas season. I used to enjoy looking at the stuff people would buy as gift and would go buy the item during my breaks. I didn’t stay on after the season because it turned out that I was spending more than I was earning.

My first job at Ala Moana was at Shirokiya. I was a floater so I got to work in all the different departments. Back then they had a Designer bag, purse, jewely, clothing, furniture, house hold, toy, record, audio and food department. It was a fun store to work at. I used to love working with the designer bags and would have first dibs on the closeouts but my favorite department was the food. Back then they would host demonstrators from different parts of Japan and have actual people from the area come down. We had great discounts on the bento’s so I would never have to leave the store during breaks. Like the rest of Ala Moana, Shirokiya doesn’t have the same feel. I like the new concept with all the food stands but I miss how mostly everything used to be done in house.

@Hbh – Unfortunately, Ala Moana isn’t the same as we remember it. It’s lost that open air feeling. Only on the upper level of the newly built Mauka wing do you actually see the sky and feel the warm sunshine. The rest of the mall is filled with tall cavernous stores on all sides.

That’s why we hold these memories on the old Ala Moana Center so close to our heart.

239. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Rodney

Thanks fo the pictures uncle, really brought me home. Real chick’n skin. Even right now im remembering how gorgeous the koa fish ponds were. I think sometimes we take things fo grantted in Hawai’i. Here we have the worlds biggest outdoor mall in the country, and eventhou it was concrete it was still nice to look at compared to alot of mainland malls.

240. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Masako

Yes please send them to uncle rodney.

@ankleBYTERS – Thanks for sharing your Ala Moana stories with us. I think that’s just the kind of memories that might help with the project.

@Masako – if you have the Keiki Land pictures, send them to me and I’ll post them!

243. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Sorry guys i get carried away sometimes.

244. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@ankleBYTERS

Lol you might remember me from Sears? I was the small native kid who planted himself infront of your big t.vs to watch pow pow t.v and kikaida, ultraman after school, when hanging at Ala Moana. 🙂

245. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Lots of memories of birthdays and celebrations at Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor and kieki land. Center stage at Ala Moana was great, hula shows, music, santa and pupet shows at christmas. Fuzzy memories of this store that had great domino setups, and da kine contraptions that worked on balance.

246. DIO says:

matt: Hopaco was in Ala Moana until the end of 1996.

247. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@Sally

Its funny i don’t remember the birdcages.

248. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Yes Ala Moana was fun back then, if you were kieki, you could run around the mall all day and be entertained, without spending a cent. Great memories of da sandbox playing, and next to da sandbox was Honolulu Book, which had great popup books. God its all flooding back. To this day i can remember Woolworth’s(i believe) that had that funny melting plastic smell everytime you went into the store. Anyone else remember this?

Oh heres a blast from da past and on topic lol. Anyone remember this?

My friends would catch the bus from Palolo while I was from the makai side of Waialae so we always met at the Birdcage at a designated time. Birdcage holds significance for me in my Ala Moana memories.

I enjoyed working with the “older ladies” at Leilani Gift Shop. A couple of them were like surrogate mamas, the other younger ones were my first intro to sales competition and selling the old stuff to tourists just for the PM (pin money). I hated watching that.

After my high school stint at Zippys then taking the summer off from working, I went to work at Leilani Gift Shop (part of Watamulls Co.) when school started at KCC (still Pensacola campus). Super convenient to walk to work between classes, work a 4hr shift then go back to school, then catch the bus back home.

252. Hawai'ian by heart says:

Kikaida at Ala Moana from what i remember and was told, was a Shirokiya thing. The big appearance for kikaida in a mall during the 70s was at Pearlridge shopping center.

Here is two sites that showed the 1970s kikaida visit. It was packed!

I remember my mother’s older sister going to meet her widow friends once a week outside Longs/Sears. They would sit down talk story, check out the elderly men (who still had hair) and then eat lunch at Woolworth’s.

254. Hawai'ian by heart says:

@M & Masako

Hey guys did i hear you say u have pictures of keiki land? Please if you do share’em with us please.

255. Craig says:

256. Gareth says:

That list brought back a lot of nostalgic memories. Ala Moana Center used to be a fun and relaxed place for local people, families and seniors to hang out, with places like Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor, Party Center, Liberty House, and Woolworth’s. Now that’s mostly been lost, due mainly to the current management, General Growth Properties; they’re turning Ala Moana into a glitzy fashion mall, only for rich tourists and wealthy young urbanites. I don’t like it..

I remember a real train at Keiki land.

So many good memories of Sears….
    Started working at Sears as a seasonal worker in their stockroom during Xmas of early ’70s, then became a regular part timer working evenings and weekends until I received my BA from UH, married and moved to the BEEG island. The starting pay then was $2.80/hr (minimum back then was $1.60) so that was a no brainer. There were two floors of stockroom, 1st floor were mostly hardline/softline products, the receiving area, package pickup, tires, batteries and the ‘candy bin’. The 2nd floor I rarely visited except to visit the jewelry department (remember the Pick-A-Pearl), as my then GF worked there or dropped off albums/45/8trks/cassettes (no CDs back then) for the music department. The 3rd floor stockroom contained home furnishing products, the cafeteria, girls Modeling and Credit Union.

The regular night shift crew stayed together even after I left. We would get together whenever I was back home. One became a private school principal, one was a physics teacher, another became HPD, another an EEE for Motorola, another C&C….pretty smart group!! Pretty difficult to win a Scrabble game against them in the ‘candy bin’…..lol.

The ‘candy bin’ – loved working for the candy department. Would doesn’t like popcorn? Sears had the best tasting popcorn, especially with butter poured over the top!! As soon as you walked into Sears on the ground floor, you could not get away from the smell of freshly popped popcorn. If I remember correctly, a gallon of the unmelted butter was $125.

How many of you remember the Garden Shop sales on Saturdays just outside the beach side entrance? We hated those as we had to load the customer’s trunk with the smelly peat moss and manure. But I did learn to drive a forklift and never dropped a load, even over the speed bumps.

Remember how popular the Diehard batteries were back then? We hated whenever a shipment of them arrived as we had to carry each one up onto the roller racks and those suckers weren’t light!! I can see why the regular battery stockmen had biceps waaay out to here. At least when it came to tires, one of us would just roll them down the stock aisles and the other would bin them. The Automotive department was one of the best back then. We would regularly take our cars there for brake jobs and miscellaneous work. I never bought tires there for my car….they didn’t have anything like Firestone WO’s, JcPenney’s brand WOL or Goodyear GTs.

Every holiday season, just after Halloween, the Garden Shop became the Xmas department and every year I would be assigned there. Beatrice must have loved me to work for her every Xmas….lol. I hated those artificial Xmas trees…they were so bulky and took up a LOT of space. I had them stacked against the walls in the cafeteria, stacked in the tire bins and any free walls in the stockroom. The prices on some of the fully decorated trees were absurd back then!!

On Saturdays, the crew would eat in the cafeteria, the food was surprisingly good, and then sit just across from Long’s on the low wall and watch the “scenery” walk by 😉 On Sundays (it was time-and-a-half!!) we’d grab a quick bite at the Chinese restaurant on the lower level near Long’s…Chow Fun was my favorite.

Next to Sears on the ground level was Liberty Bank…every Friday was payday so you would find Sear’s employees standing in line. No direct deposits back then.

I would visit the store whenever I am back in 808 land but it’s wasn’t the same. Really gonna miss not seeing Sears at Ala Moana.

259. matt says:

was Hopaco gone by 1979? also, when did banana republic get there? must not have been too long after that. I’m talking about the original one with the safari theme.
    I remember going to see Kikaida at Shirokiya but I’m not sure about center stage.
    Whle Iida’s, Honsport and Honolulu Book will always have a fond place in my heart, I think the place on the list that I will miss the most is Lyn’s. That started my lifelong quest to find good pastrami sandwiches. (for the record: SF bay are sucks as far as kosher delis…gotta go to LA or NYC for good pastrami)

I think it was my third Birthday that I had a party at Keiki land. I barely remember it but I have a few pictures so I reminisce over those. I remember the merry go round the boats that was in water, the Army tanks and the ferris wheel that was like little cages, my dad would call me a monkey with i’d ride it. After they closed it became Farrells which was also a place that many Birthdays was celebrated at.

I’m feeling so old…..

My best friend in intermediate school had a crush on the hot guys that used to work at Ed & Don’s ice cream shop. We would stop there every afternoon and on the weekends that we were at the mall. Since we didn’t always have money to buy ice cream we would just hang out in there. A few time the manager would scold us but we would still come back. Thats one of the happy memories I have of Ala Moana.

Good morning! Wow this brings back so many memories. M and I was walking through there last weekend and I was telling him that Ala Moana used to be my second home. It was the transfer point for my bus ride home and I also spent many happy weekends there with my family and friends. When I was in college I had a few jobs in the mall. As I walk through the mall it no longer has the feel of home. It caters more to the tourist. Whenever I needed something for school whether it be supplies for a project or special clothing for a uniform, my mom would always take us to Ala Moana. For the current generation we take our kids to Walmart. I have to admit, I miss the old Ala Moana.

1st…. 🙂