SayWhat???

AnkleBYTERS posted on his Facebook page:

How many of you MLCers ( Rodney , Midlife Crisis Hawaii blog ) are members of the ‘SAYWHAT???….What?….Can you repeat it….’ club ? I was until today…not ashamed to say I’m wearing hearing aids for high frequency loss. I have been missing out on hearing so many sounds that I could never hear for decades….clicking of the keys on the keyboard…wow they sound so different….many with hearing loss miss music….me, cymbals in songs, top hat….really missed that…now I don’t have to turn the treble to max and still not hear it. Shoelaces slapping on your shoes as you walk…freaked me out when I heard it for the first time. Check with your health plan….mines fully covered both ears and I can get new ones every year if needed. It’s also bluetooth enabled so you can connect to your cell phone and the voice will stream to your hearing aids….same with smart TVs (you’ll need to purchase a device for it).

Why miss a decibel of life??

As we become more MLC, slowly but surely, our parts start wearing out.  And sooner or later we’ll have to cross that bridge and seek help.  And as Ankles said, he’s not ashamed of getting hearing aids.  And he shouldn’t be.  I just wish that sometimes others would follow suit.

For example, there’s a guy that I used to work with and he suffers from hearing loss.  But because he won’t seek help, he misses out on parts of conversations.  You can tell by the way he just kinda smiles and goes along with the joke that he didn’t hear.  But the worse part is that because of his hearing loss, he can’t hear himself – so he talks LOUD.  He’s not yelling – just talking LOUD.  It’s almost embarrassing to ask him a question because his answer can be heard from 3 – 4 cubicles away.

But how do you gently tell someone something that they probably already know?

I don’t know about you, but I grew up cranking the stereo.  The big-ass speakers with the tuner/amp/pre-amp/turntable set up.  When no one was home, it meant time to rock the house!  I can’t tell you how many times that my stereo was blasting in my room so loud that I didn’t hear my mom come home.  Then she pops her head in the door and looks at me with the WTH look.

Or the late-night sessions with the headphones blasting straight into my eardrums.

Those concerts at the HIC were crazy loud.  I remember that after the concert when I got into my car – that’s when I could really hear the ringing in my ears.

And I don’t know about today’s younger generation.  They all use personal music devices attached to headphones or earbuds.  If that’s all they listen with – it can’t be good for their hearing.

If any of your young ones are looking for a good career – consider audiology.  With us Baby Boomers losing our hearing and the young kids also losing their hearing – there’s lots of work to be found.

And… if you want the latest Apple product – you can’t buy it at the Apple store.  Nope, you have to see an Audiologist.  The device is called LiNX and is dubbed “the world’s smallest hearing aid”.  It syncs wirelessly with all iDevices, making use of iOS 7′s new accessibility options for the hearing-impaired.

Apple LiNX resound-hearing-aid
LiNX is “a hybrid of hearing aids and stereo Bluetooth headphones,” picking up and amplifying sounds in the vicinity while also being able to make use of a smartphone’s various features, including making phone and FaceTime calls, playing music, getting turn-by-turn directions, and so on.
Apple’s development team has included some neat little extras too. For example, a user can input custom settings in the device’s app for different environments, so you could choose particular volume, bass, and treble levels for your local movie theater, while at home you’d probably opt for a different set of audio levels. With the iPhone’s GPS functionality enabled, the device will switch to your custom settings automatically depending on your location.
Another feature, Live Listen, utilizes an iOS device’s microphone, so if a hearing-impaired person is trying to converse in a particularly noisy environment, the mic can be used to cancel out irrelevant noise and send a live stream direct from the speaker to the person’s ear piece.

How cool is that!?!  I’ll tell you.  It’s $3,000 cool.  I don’t know if insurance will cover this one.

Oh yeah, Android users – you’re out of luck.  Maybe Samsung is working on it.

I know a number of musicians who are trying their best to preserve their hearing and use ear-plugs when playing.  Are any of you considering hearing aids? The benefits far outweigh the stigma of wearing hearing aids.  And you don’t embarrass yourself by talking too loud or missing out on what others are saying.  Have any hearing loss stories to share?

A big mahalo to AnkleBYTERS for letting me share your story.

59 Responses to “SayWhat???”

I can hear just fine, hello MLCers ❗ 😀

Face bumps!……lol

3. keoni says:

@DIO Even if no pepeiao kuli, you can always nana kuli! 😆

@NKHEA – I going have something for you on Thursday’s post.

@4G – Yup, people wearing glasses can hear better because the read lips.

And what @Seawalker said. LOL

6. NKHEA says:

Ynaku; DUCK…….you must be blind 2, I waz right dea

7. Hbh says:

Aloha and goodmorning guys. 🙂

I believe what i would miss the most is my eyesight. Fore then i wouldnt be able to see gods greatest art work. The gorgous asian wemon. Ok forgive me i got it bad lol. 😉

Guud morning…….M……..!!!!!!!

; )

Guud morning MLCers! 🙂

@KAN – thanks again for that link. I was reading some of the reviews – that is definitely the book! Okay, I got some of the details wrong, but that’s the book! I never realized that it was semi-autobiographical, at the time. And, that James Garfield/Jimmy Carter thing is just too weird! LOL.

11. Ynaku says:

NKHEA, I was waiting for you at the Lagoon Pool bar this weekend. Wea you was? 😀

12. Ynaku says:

I too have Hi Freq hearing loss from all that electronic equipment at work. Equipment fans does wonders to your hearing loss.

I gotta go check out an audiologist soon. Shame every time somebody asking me questions and I don’t know how to answer them cause I don’t know what they asked 😆 How many times I gotta say, “I’m sorry, what was that again?”

Hate it in noisy environment.

@KAN – based on the description, it sure sounds like it! Thanks! 🙂

@4G: I remember that same book – I read it too. Is this it?

15. NKHEA says:

ankles; u right

UR; howzit…..no mo anymo oldies concerts?

DIO; howzit long time no hea

Yeah – she lurking. LOL. Eh, @LK, wea you stay? I’m pretty sure you back by now . . . . 😉

@4G – Haven’t heard from LK for a while. Maybe this’ll bring her out.

@4G – I hear you, man, I hear you. The best day at the office doesn’t even come close to the worst day on vacation. And to play hooky too? Egad, life is wonderful for you.

@Seawalker – LOL. Hooky, here! 😉 Kinda like cutting school! Woo hoo! 😉

@4G – Slow day at the office. Brain’s all shot.

Whoa – I dunnno, @Seawalker – sounds pretty good to me! 😉

Why, of course, you can hear better when you wear glasses. The sag action from the glasses on the ear lobes causes your ear canal to expand and dialate. That, in turn, causes your hair follicles in your inner ear to stand at attention. When that happens, your hearing becomes much more acute. Multiply that twice (for both ears) and you have twice the decibel capacity to send those transmissions and electronic impulses to your brain.

Nah, @Rod, just making this up. Biological sciences was not my forte. 😆

Okay, this is probably pretty weird. LOL.

I remember, like elementary school, reading a book (I can’t even remember the title) about a boy who ended being blinded by (foolishly) playing with fireworks as young boys tend to do. LOL. Likely was something like shoo-shoo babies. Anywho – I remember thinking at the time that one of the most devastating things that could happen to you would be to lose your eyesight. For example, I thought about being deaf and thought that if I had to choose, I would rather be deaf than blind.

I remember spending some time (in addition to the recount in the book) looking into what it might take to deal with going blind. I used to make believe that I was blind and try to envision (and do) dealing with stuff. Suffice to say that I was kind of “in to it” for a little while. I’m sure that a lot of people have done this, but I think mine was little bit more on the extreme side. LOL. I remember thinking how tough it must be to deal with going blind and yet, if it happened, there you were . . . . LOL – okay, maybe wasn’t the book and was Zatoichi . . . . 😉

At any rate, the consolation tended to be, “Well, your other senses will step-up and help by becoming more sensitive.” Hearing, of course, was at the forefront. I could rationalize and take a bit of comfort in that.

What I never figure on 😉 was on all the other senses (especially hearing!) being in decline, too! LOL!

Read lips and body language. I remember laughing at my friend in high school who said that was her experience. She was right! 😉

Did you know that a study found that people could hear better when they wore their glasses? Do you know why that is?

I wonder how long it will be before stuff like hearing aids will just plug straight into your brain?

I find it much more efficient to communicate with my mom via email (written communication vs. auditory communication). Now if I could just get her to text! LOL!

My declining hearing mirrors my declining eyesight. For my eyes, I can basically “see”, but things (especially at close quarters are not in great focus) and resolution is not there.

Similarly, I can basically “hear” sounds (okay my right ear is insensitive to high pitches since pre-elementary days), but the focus/resolution is not there, especially if there is background noise. E.g., I can tell that someone is speaking, but I may not be able to make out the words. LOL! No problem with that, right? 😉

I play semi-regularly at jam sessions with a fine steel guitar player who is very hard of hearing. I know at least three people who have urged him to get a hearing aid, but he says he needs to fix this part and that part of his body (knee replacement, bum elbow, etc.) before he can afford to get a hearing aid. In the meantime, he doesn’t realize that (1) his amp is usually too loud for the room so he’s drowning others out or (2) he’s playing over someone else’s solo. Then he can’t figure out why people get mad at him. And he prides himself on being a good listener!

I’m getting hard of hearing too. I’ve never been one for loud rock concerts, but since I listen to my mp3 player/radio for self-defense while riding public transportation, I think that has led to hearing loss over time.

I’ve not had a chance to listen to this yet, but Adam Savage, of Discovery Channel’s “Mythbusters,” has this podcast about hearing loss and his recent ear surgery.

38 years of working near high pitched equipment has resulted in weak hearing.

@DW: Funny how I can hear everyone else’s phones ringing, but cannot hear my own. LOL

33. Hawai'ian by Heart says:

Aloha, Howzit?

Yeah Ive lost some hearing from to many loud concerts and loud music. Its not really bad yet, but im still in my 40s. Biggest things i notice right now is energy level and the MLC memory. Ever sat in your chair at night and ask yourself 4 to 6 hrs later after dinner “What did I have for dinner?” Or you set your keys down and 5 mins later you can’t find them?

Also noticed changes in digestion, hell of alot more gas lol. Also how easy it is now to gain weight. When i was younger i could eat like a horse and not gain a pound, back in my 20s and 30s i weighted 170 at most. Now during the last holiday i gained 40lbs, Haven’t changed my eating habits (dont eat alot anymore).

But can’t really complain `Aumakua give guud life. 🙂

34. DIO says:

NKHEA sighting. Howzit NKHEA?!

I found out how much hearing aids cost several years ago. I was surprised how much they cost!

In the good old Honolulu days when I used to go to concerts at the HIC and others, I would bring cotton for my ears.

And I always tried to sit way up high in the back. Back then, there was no such thing as our current day convenient foam rubber ear plugs.

And people did not even seem to be aware of hearing loss back then, mainly the cause of it I am talking about.

But I did do some stupid things like going to the Koko Head Shooting range with my Dad and shooting guns without hearing protection. I can’t even remember if the had shooting ear muffs back then. But we did not have any.

It was always so painful to go shooting large caliber rifles! But I loved it anyway. Back then I think people were just not aware about hearing loss and how it happens. Thank God I can still hear today.

The batteries on mines last for almost a week. The company provides you with a year’s worth of batteries. It’s like $5 for the 8-battery pack on sale.

How many of you have tinnitus? The aid generates a sound that makes it less annoying.

@The DW – Welcome! And thanks for sharing your wake-up call story with us. This reminds me about the “Mosquito” ring tone. It’s the ringtone that kids in school use because they can hear the higher frequency ring – but most older folks (like the teachers) can’t hear it.

I have artillery ears… and sometimes selective hearing… got artillery ears from working on 8 inch and 175 cannons… used to use cigarette filters as ear plugs cuz the regular ear plugs they issued used to pop out of our ears when ever we fired our guns…
    selective hearing when my wife talking to me…

Geez, now that I see it in print I’m wondering if it was supposed to be “hardly hearing” instead of “hard of hearing”? 😆

41. DIO says:

if you speak Hawaiian, pepeiao kuli.

This is a reprint. Just make sure you don’t get to this point. LOL

A man feared his wife wasn’t hearing as well as she used to and he thought she might need a hearing aid. Not quite sure how to approach her, he called the family doctor to discuss the problem. The Doctor told him there is a simple informal test the husband could perform to give the doctor a better idea about her hearing loss.

Here’s what you do,” said the Doctor, “stand about 40 feet away from her, and in a normal conversational speaking tone see if she hears you. If not, go to 30 feet, then 20 feet, and so on until you get a response.”

That evening, the wife was in the kitchen cooking dinner, and he was in the den. He says to himself, “I’m about 40 feet a way, let’s see what happens.”

Then in a normal tone he asks, ‘Honey, what’s for dinner?”

No response.

So the husband moves closer to the kitchen, about 30 feet from his wife and repeats, “Honey, what’s for dinner?”

Still, no response.

Next he moves into the dining room where he is about 20 feet from his wife and asks, “Honey, what’s for dinner?”

Again he gets no response.

So, he walks up to the kitchen door, about 10 feet away.. “Honey, what’s for dinner?”

Again there is no response.

So he walks right up behind her… “Honey, what’s for dinner?”

“Ralph, for THE FIFTH time, CHICKEN!!”

Or, stink ear! 😉

In olden days Hawaii, hearing loss was called “hard of hearing”.

45. The DW says:

Yes, denial can be very powerful… until you get your “wake up call”.

I have been a drummer for over 40 years now, and have been playing music fairly consistently since the beginning. My wake up call came about 10 years ago, when I was working part-time as a “lunch reliever” in a dispatch office. The office was long and narrow, and I was sitting at the station on the far end, opposite the entryway.

The woman I was relieving came back from lunch, and as she stepped in to the office, she asked me, “Is that my cell phone ringing?” I said “no”, as I didn’t hear anything. She walked across the room, and opened the drawer next to me. I still heard nothing.

She then pulled her purse out of the drawer, and opened the flap, at which point I heard a soft ring. When she pulled her phone out of the purse, sure enough it was ringing! …and not some muted ringtone, but a piercing “old style” telephone ring!

The very next day, I ordered special musician’s earplugs and wear them at every performance, and even at clubs or concerts where I am just a listener. I have to save what I have left!

Howzit No Kan HEA!

I remember back in my high school days, there was a old couple who lived several hundred feet away. The ojisan must have had the tv volume near max as I would hear it from the house.

NKHEA: you can be excused from jury duty because you wear hearing aids? I think the flak from not hearing IKHEA is worse than hearing IKHEA…. 🙂

That’s the joy of growing old(er). The 5 senses given to us at birth starts to fade and diminish over time. Lucky for me, only 2 of the 5 is going bad. So what if the leaves and sky don’t look as vibrant? So what if the birds that you heard every morning is non-existent? So what if the home cooked meal is not as aromatic anymore? The other senses compensate and take over. It’s all good and nature’s way to say slow down, bruddah. Just the other day, my weed whacker was making such a loud sound, I had to put tissue in my ear. But my ears were still ringing afterwards. But it gave me good reason to act like deaf-ears around the wife. By choice, man, by choice. Hehehe!

50. NKHEA says:

My blog name says it all. I’ve had hearing aids for awhile, the good thing about it is I don’t have to go to jury duty and i can act like I didn’t hear what IKHEA just said.

51. Lowtone123 says:

Not yet…but my wife may say otherwise.

I have some hearing loss but not enough to get hearing aids. I have to go get a physical every year from the City Health Dept. because of my CDL license and so far so good. I worked in a noisy shop for over decades and now I’m in the office so I’m not around the loud noises until I have to go into the shop. I see the guys in the shop wearing hearing protectors when the noise level gets loud and that’s good.

Me: Welcome to the world of MLC.
    Audience: TLC ? I’m not abusing my body…
    Me: MLC…M-L-C ..
    Audience: OMC? Oh that New Zealand band with the hit “How Bizarre”
    Me: You have just won the Powerball lottery…
    Audience: No thank you…..
    Me: *sigh*

Sound familiar?

I’ve had high frequency loss ever since playing in a rock band in high school. As I got older, I couldn’t hear the ticking of my wrist watch or the wall clock. Music wise, I’ve had all my audio systems in the cars set to a lot of treble but it still couldn’t overcome the subs and the BOOM BOOM BOOM. I’m sure the high level of decibels didn’t help at all. Now the sounds are so much better as I can hear the cymbals and the subs aren’t over powering everything. The kids nowadays only care about rattling windows as they drive by not caring about that their car is rattling just as much due to poor sound deadening. Here’s what 30,000 watts is like….the phone’s mic couldn’t handle the low frequencies….imagine all that air being forced out of the Tahoe…you can blow dry your hair pretty quick.

The ones I wear is made by Phonak, model Audéo Q. They come in assorted colors to match your hair or skin color and they fit behind the ear. You can also wear your glasses or sun glasses with them on, they just slide right over the end pieces. The most important thing that you have to remember is to remember to take them off before getting anywhere near water – wash face, bocha, swim, surf/SUP…my insurance will cover any losses, plus a fee. It came out to ~$2600 for the pair for the model I have (should have gotten the transparent PURPLE colored ones…lol.

Enjoy life, decibel by decibel….

My grandpa, on his deathbed says to me, “Getting old – no good …”

LOL – no kidding (didn’t have the heart to tell him I already knew that!)!

Having to get glasses – check

Having to get a hearing aid – not yet, but coming

Having to get a joint replaced – certainly not looking forward to that !

My mom has hearing aids – more worse, no help! 🙁

Getting old sucks!! 😉