Crunch Time

Sorry MLCers – I don’t have a blog entry prepared for you.  I’ve been procrastinating on the taxes and it has snuck up to bite me in the okole.

tax-day

Actually, my daughter came home from California for the weekend so I was rushing to get her taxes done before she heads back to the big, big island.  I still have to do my other daughter’s taxes and ours.

So, I leave this post open to anything having to do with taxes.  Tax Songs.  Tax Jokes.  Tax Stories.  Tax Tips.  Tax Cheats.  Tax Rants.  Just have a taxing time!

*************************************************************

This week Saturday – at the HIC

20140412_Dance Party

44 Responses to “Crunch Time”

It’s still the HIC here on this blog. Just like Holiday Mart on Kaheka. LOL

2. keoni says:

@ Masako When you efile, they ask you to enter a PIN# that you will remember. That kind of substitutes for your W-2s and sinature.

3. DIO says:

4G: Being a MLC crowd, who knows. Maybe HIC was intentional, maybe a MLC moment. 😛

LOL – I just noticed (not sure if the “error” is on purpose or not), right before the “flyer” for the $50M Party:

“This week Saturday – at the HIC”

The “flyer” cites NBC as the venue . . . . 😉

You ever tried getting a tax clearance at the IRS? Talk about a dude with a ‘tude. Where is the customer service? Should have reported that jerk to da supervisor, but held back. Walked over to the Dept. of Taxation afterwards. It was better. But you have to walk from this window to that window, and you have to wait forever. People don’t realize our taxes pay for their paychecks. So sassy those tax people!

I don’t know how we used to do taxes without Turbo Tax, but somehow we did. It was so much easier when I was younger, just do the EZ forms.

I tried to be chang this year and mailed in our state return to save the 20 bucks. I forgot to attach the W-2’s so it got bumped back. Next year I’m just going to pay the fee and be done with it. So why is it when we efile they don’t need the W-2’s?

Guud morning MCLers! 🙂

Off-topic, but related to a recent one. iOS Brings Better Control to Hearing Aids (from InformationWeek):

10. keoni says:

4G is correct. The fee you pay to e-file goes entirely to the vendor.

If you have your own business or have income generating properties, you can deduct the cost of TurboTax (including e-filing fee) as an expense on the related schedules.

@Rod – wow, $40 for a second state seems pretty high. You could practically buy another copy of Turbo Tax for that, yeah? LOL.

And, $30 a pop for state e-filing seems pretty pricey, too.

Thanks for that 4G. One of my daughter’s return was less than the fee to e-file. No make sense. And because she worked in another state, I’d have to pay TurboTax twice to e-file in two different states. Lose money! Plus, Turbo Tax charged me $40 to purchase the second state software. Chicken shit!

Re: DoTax and e-filing fees – I know you pay Turbo Tax, but I didn’t know if anything was then paid, in turn, to the State of Hawaii.

When e-filing tax returns was still pretty new, I could swear that DoTax used to charge a fee to e-file. Today, however, that seems to have changed (this from the DoTax website – https://tax.hawaii.gov/eservices/individual/):

• E-file and e-pay through the State’s website
    File your Hawaii income tax return and make payments electronically using e-file. There is no fee to file; however, there is a fee to make a payment.

• E-file with commercial software
    File your Hawaii income tax return and make payments electronically by purchasing tax preparation software either over-the-counter or online. The fees charged by the vendor to file and make payments may vary. Please check with the vendor on our list of the approved software vendors for more information.

So, it would appear that the Turbo Tax “state filing fee” (for returns with refunds) goes entirely to Turbo Tax.

Eh, good one, @khs. Like she said, it’s always the system or the new machinery and never the people there. 😆

You ever thought about this? We’re required to file each year by the IRS because you made money. They want you to gather all your information, piece things together, report it on a tax return prescribed by them, and to get it in on time. If that’s the case, why do we have to go and buy TurboTax for $50 a pop ($10 off at Costco if you buy it on sale)? If it’s something they want, shouldn’t they provide the software, shouldn’t they provide the tax forms, and shouldn’t they make it easier for the taxpayer? Come on IRS, using scare tactics is so 1900’s.

We gets what we pays for.

Two years ago I received a notice from the State saying I had a $12,000+ refund because I had done my tax filing wrong. Wat? But I used Turbo Tax! Turbo Tax said I owed and I sent in a check — now the State is saying I made a mistake and I get a refund of double the amount I owed???

I looked at the State’s tax statement and noticed all the income I reported were noted as (-) negative amounts, and all the deductions were (+) positive amounts. So I called to inquire though my hubby advised that we should “take the money and run to Venezuela”.

The taxman I spoke with reviewed the file and said, “it’s correct. You should get a refund.” Huh? I told him all the income amounts were negative so that’s the reason the bottom line calculation was incorrect. He called over his supervisor and the supervisor said the same thing. I told them to look at the actual form that I sent in but was told that it was scanned by their new system so the amounts shown (by them) are correct. So I said, “okay den. When do I get the refund.” I was told in a couple of months.

A couple of months go by and I notice my check for the amount I thought I owed was cashed. So I call them again. I explained the situation and the clerk just laughed and apologized. She said there was a problem with the new scanning system so the amount I originally submitted was correct — no $12,000+ refund. Oh well, shit happens. Our State tax dollars at work…

Before I was married, I only had to file 1040EZ forms so a parent or adult friend did it for me. EZ-PeeZee. Then after I got married, my FIL did our taxes. Then about 4 years ago, I had to do our own taxes. Like @Masako said, thank goodness for TurboTax. And knowing a few accountant friends. 🙂

Let me tell you how it will be
    One for you 19 for me
    Cuz I’m the taxman…

Taxman – Beatles

Now, the $29.99 fee to e-file state taxes – is that paid to TurboTax or is that paid to the State? Isn’t it a lot easier for the state to have the taxes filed electronically so no one has to keypunch the numbers in? So would it benefit the state to encourage e-filing? If the fee is a state fee, then maybe it’s to save keypuncher jobs. If it’s a TurboTax thing, then the state can give a $29.99 credit to offset the charge so people will e-file.

(stepping off low soapbox)

Sorry for being MIA last night – I was busy doing… nothing.

Tax

Among other definitions from Merriam-Webster:

To require a lot from (something or someone)

To put demands on (something or someone)

To make onerous and rigorous demands on

A heavy demand

Yup; seems to fit the bill . . . . 😉

Okay BOT… wait a minute, I am OT this time… 😆

I got smart in the 1980’s.

I got sick of the Gov’t talking out way too much of my money.

I calculated what my taxes would be at the end of the year.

Then I Claimed 18 Dependents! <~~~~~~

Now Pay Attention!

I zeroed out my tax bill!

And the filthy Gov't did NOT hold my tax money ALL Year Long!

I paid exactly what I owed!

And I had more money in my pocket every month from my pay check!

I AM Serious!

It’s a great feeling when the government cuts you a big check. So, git ‘er done.

… so off to work I go… lol:

Taxes. I file early to get it over with…..I owe…I owe…

Rodney, just file an extension and relax braddah! No worries!

done and gone… did it in Feb… w/refund got rid of my iPhone and got a iTouch… no cel fees to pay now…

Another sign you’re getting old –

Tax refunds used to be a windfall – money to be blown. Not anymore . . . . 🙁

LOL – DONE by the end of February . . . .

LOL. @Rod – you’re not that late; you still have a week to go!

If you’re expecting a refund, e-filing is the way to go! My experience is that refunds show up in a little under two-weeks if you e-file. IIRC, it used to take like a month for refunds to show up filing the traditional way.

I don’t know if it’s worth the $20 that Turbo Tax charges for state e-filing, but it is a lot less hassle that printing the forms out, signing, attaching the W-2’s, and then having to actually mail the form in.

I must be getting old – my taxes were down by the end of February. LOL!

I think we should get a direct credit for the expense and effort associated with filing income taxes every year, regardless of the level of expense! I just have to wonder how much it costs the economy every year for all of us to file our income taxes . . . .

@KAN – sometimes you have to watch out when you ask someone if they know someone else you know that works in the same place.

I was at a potluck once. Met someone for the first time. Tried to make small talk, asked her where she worked. It was the same place as my brother’s MIL. When I asked her if she knew “MIL”, the conversation ended…….;)

Mine are done. Yeah!!!!

Good morning! I do not like to do taxes. Thank goodness for Turbo Tax.

37. Hbh says:

My taxes are done too, but what was interesting at work the other day, i joined a discussion with a bunch of people complaining how taxes are so high etc. It got me thinking so i did some research and check it out, it might shock you.

My mom does her mom’s taxes. And my mom’s brother’s.

We also do my sons and daugthers taxes too.

I have a cousin who’s an accountant whose birthday is 4/15. He’s usually too exhausted after tax day to enjoy his birthday.

Rod, you’re such a good dad. Taxes – yech x 1000.

But the tax industry keeps people employed. Like Keoni. I have two friends who work at the IRS in Seattle, both of whom I knew through different circles of friends. It was funny when I figured out they knew each other – they sit about two desks away from each other!

We get our taxes done in February.