Do You Remember… The Brady Bunch

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Ann B. Davis – who we know her better as – Alice from The Brady Bunch.  This past weekend, she suffered a subdural hematoma after slipping and hitting her head.  She never regained consciousness after the fall and passed away.

Brady Bunch Alice

Ann B. Davis (let’s just call her Alice because that’s truly her MLC name) was the housekeeper for the Brady family.  But as we all remember – Alice was more than just the housekeeper wearing the light blue maid’s uniform with the white apron.  She was a counselor, a confidant, and nurturing soul to all of the Bradys.   Alice was always so cheerful and spunky and pretty witty too.  Alice added entertainment to what would’ve been a boring family show.

So in honor of Alice – I thought we’d look back and remember The Brady Bunch show.

Before ever seeing an episode of The Brady Bunch, I remember seeing the promos for it on late night roller derby.  On Friday nights when we used to come home around midnight after my dad’s bowling league, we’d turn on the TV and tune into KIKU.  The signal was weak over on the Windward side and the picture was snowy, but we could still watch and make out what was going on.  And that’s when I used to see The Brady Bunch promos and wished that the show would someday come to Hawaii.

Then finally it did!   I watched that show religiously.  Say, maybe that’s why I wanted to one day be an Architect – like Mr. Brady.

And they always had the coolest clothes and styles.  In fact, for each of the 5 seasons that The Brady Bunch was produced, there were 5 different intros.  I chose the season 4 intro above because I loved Mrs. Brady’s shag hairstyle during that season.

And of course – the Brady girls.  I have a brother just a couple years older than me so it just seemed natural for me to like Jan Brady – because she was the younger sister to Marcia.  Speaking of which, remember: Marcia, Marcia, Marcia?

And did you know that in Season #4, The Brady Bunch came to Hawaii?  Check it out!

Now that’s just episode 1 of 3 for the Hawaii trip.  You can catch the other 2 episodes on You Tube.  But check out the scenery.  And the cars and the people.  Don Ho and Sam Kapu.  Classic!

So as we honor Ann B. Davis, share your Brady Bunch stories.  What were some of your favorite episodes?  What did you like about The Brady Bunch?  For example, I loved the 70’s architecture of the Brady house.  And the clothes!  Oh, the styles we used to wear.  Did you have a favorite character?  Share your Brady memories here.

And thanks for all the laughs, Alice.

38 Responses to “Do You Remember… The Brady Bunch”

I was cracking up Mark!

@Mark Shelby: Cool episode! Forgot about that one…Vincent Price and LIPPY ESPINDA!!!

The Tiki Caves!

The idol…..and the popcorn trail!

And the mad professor!

Hilarious!……LOL

If Keith Partridge, or David Cassidy IRL, was a head-turner, then his bro, Shaun Cassidy was even more popular. All the teenybopper mags used to have him on their covers. Yuck! LOL

@MS – Pr0f. Fun is as hilarious as you mentioned. Talked to him on occasion at the gym. Cool guy, in fact, normal as heck. One time in the sauna, overhead him telling someone how the placed lacked the eucalyptus smell. In other words, it was haunas. He said if anyone had Ben Gay on them, to put it near the steam so it’ll freshen up the joint. Then, the buggah said this, “but, if you don’t want to share it, just rub some under your nose for your own use.” We were all cracking up and in stitches. It’s his delivery and uncanny timing that makes that buggah so funny. Think I recall him mentioning being in the screen actor’s guild or something li’ dat. Drove a real conservative car. But different from the C&P days. He sports a pot-belly and hair-challenged. 😆

6. hydroman72 says:

I remembered an epsiode when Alice was going to leave the Brady family. I think it was because she felt that she was not needed anymore.
    Remember Alice also had a boyfriend…what was his name? I know they always went bowling.

Question: Whatever happened to Professor Fun of “Checkers and Pogo” and “TV Pow” fame?

Ball accepted a full-time job as chairman of the English Department at the Aina Haina Academy but continued to entertain at parties and clubs in his spare time

Seawalker….

When I was a kid I did the Wigwam commercials that were shown during the Checkers and pogo Show. And I knew Professor Fun then.

Example: Wigwam was the first to bring the Hula Hoop to the islands. And I was the first to demonstrate the Hula Hoop on our Wigwam TV commercials. We sold bazillions! Kids went nuts over them.

And then later Prof Fun was my teacher at “The Academy” school in Aina Hina across from the McDonalds. His name was Fred Ball. He was a kick!

small island ya?

I have a friend who’s like the Brady Bunch. He has 3 kids from a previous marriage and the wife also has 3 kids from a previous marriage.

@Hbh – You mentioned Checkers and Pogo growing up. Well, used to run into Pr0f. Fun all the time at the gym. Still living. Different buggah IRL. 😉

“Baby talk, baby talk, it’s the one that you can walk.” Think that was the episode where either Cindy or Bobby was ‘teased’ in school because it sounded funny when they spoke. Most of the episodes were centered around the growing pains of rambunctious teenagers. So that was good it addressed the teasing of the younger tykes faced in school. Forget the outcome, but the Brady kids won out at the end. And Mr. or Mrs. Brady never blew their stack on the show. Kind of like Leave it to Beaver, where everything was so perfect and calm.

BOT. Glad to hear the dog’s name was Tiger. Did he attend McKinley Dog School? 😆 T-T, T-I-G, E-E, E-R-S…T, I, G, E, R, S–go Tigers!

@khs68 – If the saying goes, you are what you eat,,, then you are who you write. 😆 So, I’m all messed up. The pen is mightier than the sword. You should post more, especially your zingers. Funny stuff.

Marcia got that fat nose by Greg throwing a football and it hit Marcia in the nose… “something suddenly came up”

@Seawalker: OMG! You are too funny 😆

16. DancingBear says:

F-I-L-L-M-O-R-E, Fillmore Jr. High!

@Mark’75 – Marcia’s fat nose – I remember that episode. I couldn’t remember what it was though. I was going to search for Marcia’s big zit. LOL I knew it was something like that.

18. Hbh says:

@DIO

Jiffy Pop brah, ono grindz. got to get one pan the next time i go store. 🙂

LOL, Marcia had a big honker of a nose. But she had nice hair… 😆

Who would have thought, Greg and Marcia were an item? LOL – ewww, isn’t that incest? 😉

I liked Carol Brady over Marcia . . . . 😉 LOL.

LOL, I remember one of the cues for forgetting a scripted line on the Partridge Family was a flip of the hair. My siblings knew this. So, one time I tried flipping my hair just for fun. They said, ‘you trying to say something?’ and just laughed their a$$es off. 😆 Man, the things that trigger a memory.

23. BlueJade says:

It was such a hookey show but yet I watched it, I guess t.v. shows weren’t that good those dayz except for Hawaii 5-0! I did love the Patridge Family, thanks for that mention, poster. Cuz I and a million other gals was in love with David Cassidy. I remember my b/f at that time was so jealous of him. Mary Tyler Moore was my hero and style icon. I loved her classic looks and actually she gave me my style of fashion to this day. Layered looks were in those days and sure enuf I was dressed that way at KCC while everyone was in t-shirts and shorts.

The paper said Ann B. never married because she could not find a man as good as her career as all the good ones were taken early on. Nah, I don’t buy that. I think she was ‘dakine’. 😆

OT, but, this morning I just completed a colonoscopy. A big THANK YOU to Rodney and 91boz for their advice. This time there was no RBS ❗ ❗ ❗ was much more pleasant.

“Something suddenly came up.” Lesson learned after Marcia gets a fat nose.

Marcia Brady going all gaga over Davy Jones.

28. DIO says:

Seawalker: What you mean, Orville? I figured everyone was buying Jiffy Pop. 😆

I think the Partridge Family used to follow the Brady Bunch. Sitcoms used to be the rave back in the 70’s. We also had our Swanson TV dinners back then too. Had the main course like Salisbury Steak, starch, veggies, and a desert. That, and the Banquet Fried Chicken, those were staples back then. And there were hash browns and french fries we used to make in the oven. Was good and crispy. Popcorn was made in a pot with oil. Thanks to Orville, we gave the house a good burnt smell one time too many. 🙂

Strange, but true. Never did have a crush on the Brady girls. But Mrs. Brady, Florence Henderson, was kind of se(x)y. Mary Tyler Moore-appeal or Carol Bernett-appeal perhaps? One of the episode I like was when Marcia secretly mailed a letter at night but got caught by her parents. Little did they know, Marcia entered her father in a contest and won, I think. Or maybe the cheerleader episode. “One, two… and who are you? Three, four… who’s going to score? The Bears, the Bears…” Sam sure had a crush on Alice. He would give her the best cuts of meat every time shopping. What a butcher he was, what a man… 😆 Nowadays, you have to cook it also.

I remember watching it after school like Masako. I always thought it was rough to have to share the one bathroom with six of the kids.

I always liked the Hawaii episode. The other is when they went to the amusement park and lost the Dad’s drawings.

Good Morning – Used to watch that show every day after school during elementary and middle school time. My crush was Peter. I used to be impressed at how when the kids did something wrong both parents would go upstairs and talk so calmly to them, my parents were never like that.
    I did like the architecture of the Brady house, except that the 6 kids had to share 1 bathroom and it was the kind that you would have to remember to lock the other side so no one would accidently walk in.

The Hawaii episodes were my favorite. I also really like the one that they did the Snow white production in their yard. I enjoyed watching the shows over and over again throughout the years. Alice did make the show more interesting.

Rod,
    Its been a while since I wrote, too busy- but I have been trying to catch up on the readings. Too bad I missed the ones on graduation- would have a lot to say on those.. maybe next year! Well- absolutely loved the Brady Bunch- I was in love with Greg Brady. I had his pics on my wall along with others. Hey, idea- maybe you should do something on those teen mags like 16 and Tiger Beat- do you remember? Also like Marcia as well… I have a friend named Marcia and asked her once.. if people started to say to her- Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.. she replied yep…Never though much of their clothes on the show, but I did notice once that Jan wore a shirt with the “hang ten” feet that was popular in the islands. I wanted to see them film when they came, but didn’t have wheels at the time and no one was crazy like me so that went out the door. I still like to watch the show- brings back good memories. I liked the episodes when they sang. Do you remember when they had to get rid of Tiger, the dog?? Thats becuz one of the kids had an allergy.

“… all of them had hair of gold, like their mother”, Goldilocks, The Golden Girls– 😆 guess blondes do have more fun.

35. Hbh says:

I remember watching the “Brady Bunch” but for me it was kinda a time killer show for me. I liked gilligains island and bewitched and kikaida better lol.

“Kiss my grits!” and “Stow it, Flo” from the sitcom Alice starring Linda Lavin. Now, that tickled the funny bone. Didn’t Mr. Brady come out from the closet later on in life? 😉

Forgot to mention. Yes I remember those Hawaii episodes. So fun! Thanks for the video to help remember Rodney. I think Don Ho was sitting on a lava rock wall playing that song at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I remember going for a walk and looking for that spot. That’s where he lived. In a penthouse in the Hilton Lagoon apartments. Across the hall from my Godfather Homer Powell of Wigwam.

Yes I remember. sad to hear. The show was always a part of our family fun nights together in front of the TV!

And we even had those fold up TV dinner trays, that you could pull up to your sofa and be a small table to eat your dinner on while watching TV! Remember those?