Do You Remember… Head Shops

Head Shop

An article from early last year…

Hawaii’s Natural High, once a head shop for smokers of all kinds, must move out of its home of 33 years before April 1, 2013.

Its longtime advertising slogan, “Rocking for over 20 years and still rolling,” could be seen as a winking reference to its hazy beginnings as a retailer of marijuana smoking accessories.

<snip>

Hawaii’s Natural High was known for selling smoking accessories even after sales of such merchandise became illegal, “but there’s so many more smoke shops out there (now) that are far more blatant than us,” he said.

His merchandise mix now is focused more on “tie-dyes (T-shirts) and rock ‘n’ roll stuff,” including posters, tapestries, hats, buttons, stickers, incense, magnets “and a whole lot of Bob Marley stuff,” he said.

I remember “head shops”.  A popular one in Kailua that lasted for a long time was Mescalitos.  They had bongs, pipes, papers, incense, oils, tapestries, sandals, black light posters, lighters, pins, patches, gauze clothing, peasant tops, hobo bags, dark glasses, rolling machines, roach clips… you name it – they had it.

I remember wandering in there and checking out the wares.  The workers took one look at me and didn’t even bother asking me if I needed help – because I was such a clean-cut kid.  he, he.

There was another one in Kailua that my oldest brother used to go to.  It was called One Step Beyond.  It didn’t last for too long, but it was thee place to be if you were a hippie.  I believe my brother bought a pair of blue tinted glasses that looked like the kind that John Lennon used to wear.  And incense sticks.  Gotta have patchouli incense.

I vaguely remember another head shop across Ala Moana Center where Records Hawaii and Stone-Free Waterbeds used to be.  Can’t seem to recall the name.  Anyone remember?  Or maybe it was just a section in Jellys.

I’m sure just about every town in Hawaii had a head shop back in the day.  I think Wahiawa had a few because you know; North Shore, surfers, hippies, etc.

Even some of the more liberal mom-n-pop stores had a display with pipes, bongs, and rolling papers.  And most liquor stores had a section for paraphernalia – and High Times magazine.

What “head shops” do you remember?  How about the ones in your neighborhood?  Share your head shop memories with us.

40 Responses to “Do You Remember… Head Shops”

Zig Zag Kut Korners? LOL, nah go for slow burnin’ kine mo bettah. Gives you the deeper drags without burning too fast. Deeper drags equate greater absorption. Maximum absorption gives you a better ‘high’. That’s what I heard anyway. 😆

Eh, @4G. I remember our math teacher in 8th grade. The class was talking before class started. The topic? Pot, of course. So this one kid, he eventually ended up at Iolani, he asked the teacher, ‘how about a hit Mr. M?’ Everyone was laughing. But Mr. M got the last laugh. He assigned all 50 problem, evens only, instead of the 45 because the last 5 was the hardest. True story. The little things we remember…

On a totally unrelated topic, Solowheel has announced new models. Oddly, the kickoff was in Beijing with not a whole lot of information published in the U.S. The word is that at least one of the new models (the Extreme) will be available in the U.S. at the end of July.

Four new models. The low-end, equivalent to the original Solowheel (actually, slightly better specs) will now start at $1,100. The Orbit looks awesome and comes in at half the weight of original Solowheel – so like 12 pounds?

This is a Chinese language site but has more pictures by model:

LOL @ Zig Zag. Kut Korners?

4. Blue Jade says:

4g: yea it’s a specific niche in the drug world. The younger gen has all those “smoke” shops and they have harder drugs to get high with. Not a one in my circle of friends are still getting stoned if they ever did. I run with a vanilla crowd that are more into their grandkids, their soccer or dance classes rather than getting stoned. And due to health concerns at this age, they ain’t even drinking much anymore.

Booze interferes with a lotta drugs too. Heart attacks and strokes do that to one, not to mention that middle tire. If anything they are getting healthier than they ever were, walking and/or hitting the gym.

Zig Zag is the best rolling paper.

Wow – few comments.

I guess it’s no wonder that head shops are not really around anymore, huh? LOL.

@Hbh: 🙂

8. Hbh says:

Ima basketball jones 🙂

Now class, class! Class!!! SHUT UP! Thank you . 😉

“Natural High”

That shop has been around for pretty long. Their location in Waikiki was, to me, a bit difficult to get to. If anything, it seemed to be better at night when you could park at the post office then jaywalk to get to the shop. I think the shop was there a bit before the paraphernalia ban, but its “claim to fame” was weathering/defying that ban. I have not been to the new location. It looks a little more accessible.

I think I bought my first strobe light from a head shop. It looked like this:

That cap shop in Ala Moana called, “LIDS” always make me think of “lids”. LOL.

I’m rooting for WA and CO!! 😉

@Blue Jade – Seafood has got to be the food of the gods. If I had to choose something to eat just before going on to the electric chair, it would be a heaping’ full plate of seafood. Just simply cooked. No butter nor black bean sauce. Just the saltiness of the shell fish does me justice. Once in a while, I make my own poke. Just throw in some limu, shoyu, and a little hot sauce and I’m good to go. Lucky, you got good neighbors. And they’re fisherman on top of that? Eat good, Grasshopper. 😆 Laters, got to check out the fireworks.

13. Blue Jade says:

Use to listen to Cheech & Chong’s Up in Smoke and thought it was so groovy. I hate that term now. A friend of mines acted in Lost, the t.v. show, and Cheech was playing that big dude’s father. Cheech was hitting the old pipes cuz between takes cuz he was nodding off from his highs Theyll wake him, he’ll do his part, then nod off again.. They were quite amazed he managed to act despite being so stoned. So still smokin’ after all these years.

Ahh, Seawalker, our neighbors went fishing and caught fresh ahi which they sliced up into sashimi for us. I was at Safeway and saw the $ashimi price$ and we have over $40 worth of ahi sashimi. Mom thinks we’ll have leftovers. Not after I’m done with it! 😀

Bought a few bags of weed in my lifetime. It was @20 a bag, but the last guy charged me $25. It’s been ages, but don’t mind taking a ‘hit’ again. 😉

Happy Fourth everyone and glad to see again, @Rod.

LOL, @4G. Joey is Joey. Anybody who consumes 20,000 calories in 10 minutes has got to be insane. Man, the arteries in his head was popping at full tilt after dog 61. My brother says he lives in his nick of the woods, as with that 11 year old kid in the Women’s U.S. Open. If you thought the contest was digesting, wait till Joey does #2 for the next few days. 😆 Eating rice with poke bot from Safeway. Ono. $9.99 a pound. They had these crab claws on sale for $5 a pound. Gonna do a Joey on them tomorrow.

@Seawalker – re: Nathan’s Hot Dog Contest

Joey proposes to his girlfriend, chef and personal trainer. LOL!

I’ve seen those before – and man, that’s gotta be one of the more disgusting sights one can see! LOL. 😉

Hi Shelley O’Sullivan – welcome to the MLC blog! Behind the Market Place? I’m picturing Crazy Shirts. lol

18. Shelley O'Sullivan says:

Yes I remember posters at The Power House behind the Market Place in Waikiki. This was the late 60’s and it was all about black lights and posters…loved it!

19. Blue Jade says:

I had those handrollers too for the brief time I smoked weed. Ironically decades later I reverted to them again this time instead to roll ciggies.

Since tobacco has been taxed sky high, I now stuff or roll my own ciggies. But now more sophisticated, they have tobacco injection machines and empty tubes. I can make 6 cartons for the price of a commercially made one cartpm. Not that it matters since they ARE cancer sticks, but buying this type of tobakie contains none of the OTHER chemicals reg. cigs have.

I actually felt withdrawal symptoms when I switched cuz of the chemicals in the reg. smokes.

So ironically I go to Tobaccos of Hawaii in Wahiawa to buy my supplies and yes, they have all the head gear too. I ask the sales gal about the various equip. they have when she’s not busy.

Man, there are all kine flavored smokes, so interesting I juse peruse their inventory.

There are those head shops all over though, Waipahu and Wahiawa. Except for ToH they’re mostly drug supplies and all that Jamacian stuff.

I deeply regret not taking a Cuban made cigar when offered. Not that I smoke cigars but at least I could say I smoked a Cuban.

And thinking about it Stone Free waterbeds makes no sense. It should be stone free, and why is a waterbed getting stoned anyway.

I will admit, though, to keeping several pieces. LOL. ‘Cause, you know, you never know, right? 😉

Seriously, though – you don’t even see some of that stuff anymore. 😉 Everything seems to have migrated to those tiny “Ziploc” bags. LOL.

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Aloha Friday and a very Happy 4th of July to all of you ❗ Have a happy and safe holiday weekend ❗ 😀

I never heard of “Head Shops” until today. I never smoked or used drugs or hung around people who did so only exposure to such things are via movies and reading about them. I had a very sheltered life with church every Sunday, studying, and working multiple jobs from high school until retirement. Only regret I have is not spending time enjoying life along the way. That stopped with retirement, on the go a lot now to make up for lost time. 😀

I finally got rid of a bunch of really old paraphernalia in the downsizing that I went through a couple/three years ago. Was hard to part with that stuff. Many memories and very sentimental. *Sniff* LOL I guess that would be both figurative and literal. 😉

I remember those little rolling machines. Tried one early on. It helped if you didn’t know how to roll. After you learned to roll, though, those little machines were more hassle than they were worth – mainly because they were a bit bulky to carry! LOL.

Sooo –

We haven’t seen @KAN in quite awhile and we never got a midterm report from @Rod. I am such a pain!!! LOL.

Checking on our downsize deadline of June 2014 . . . . 😉

Funny – I know we made MANY trips to headshops, but I don’t actually remember too many of them. 😉

Wonder why that would be? I don’t think it’s just old age . . . . 😉

26. 72view says:

Think that place was “Fly High Brothers”…not that I would know about such places…

Back in the day, for me, the main shop was Stone Free. A close second would have been India Imports. I remember using strawberry incense sticks as air freshener for the car – didn’t burn them, just left them in the car. LOL.

At one point, when “anti-paraphernalia” was in full swing (I think it was the 80’s), it was rather difficult finding “supplies”. LOL. There was a shop on Kuhio, next to the municipal parking lot that is no longer there, called “80% Straight”. It had a headshop section. However, it also had sex toys and “progressive” clothing. LOL. Plus, it catered to the gay community. To make it worse, it was upstairs and the stairway was clearly visible from Kuhio. LOL.

I used to listen to Cheech and Chong records. That was as daring as I got. Stale, no?

Happy July 4th!

Derned phone!! LOL!

Geez – not sure about today …. LOL

I’m not about today, but the McDonald’s drinking straws were also favored – the had a slighty larger diameter than traditional straws. 😉

LOL @ “nit”! Should be, “not”.

WB @Rod! LOL. Glad to hear it was a technical glitch and nit something more serious! 😉

That head shop at 404 Piikoi, next to Records Hawaii, was Stone Free. I forget, but I think it sort of evolved into Stone Free Waterbeds.

Remember when McDonalds used to give out long little spoons with their coffee – but people were using it for something else that began with “C”. Now the coffee comes with long little oars.

Thanks @khs68 😀

Never been inside a head shop. But I did receive a gold spoon and gold razor for my birthday way back in the 70’s. Geez what are these for? hehehe.

@Rodney – I’m glad you’re okay. Had us worried for a while.

Sorry! I don’t know what happened but my post didn’t publish when it was supposed to. So here you go!

@4G – I’m still here! Thanks for your concern 🙂