MLC Milestones

Thanks for this fun topic idea, KAN!

What are some MLC Milestones that you can think of…

• Joining AARP (or at least getting their mailers)
  • Buying McDonalds Senior Coffee
  • Qualifying for Ross’ Senior Discount
  • Getting your first colonoscopy.  Or second.  Or third.
  • Reviewing pension payouts plans
  • Moving investments from Aggressive to Moderate/Conservative funds
  • When my barber says “I’m not going to thin out the top – it’s already thin” – WHAT!?!
  • Selecting a car based on comfort and not handling
  • Your favorite radio station is the “Oldies” station
  • You hold the railing when you go down stairs (I know I do!)
  • You recognize a Cherry Blossom contestant that’s your friend’s daughter
  • CD’s you buy are copies of LPs that you used to have

AWB

• You fall asleep before the 10 o’clock news finishes
  • Waking up in the middle of the night to pee.  Twice.
  • Becoming a grandparent
  • You read the Midlife Crisis Hawaii blog 😉

Okay, you get the idea.  What are some MLC Milestones that you can think of.  Or perhaps you’ve already come across?

138 Responses to “MLC Milestones”

Only now catching up on your postings from 7/16/14….

Seawalker, 4G, and DIO, you folks are so funny ❗

Nice to hear from you DIO, missed you ❗ 🙂

Dang! I’m soooo anal! LOL

It’s actually Ponce de Leon, yeah?

😆

Fountain of youth brings to mind two favorite movies where they never got old — Lost Horizon and The Green Mile.

Not sure if I never want to get old, it’s more the looking old and feeling old that bothers me. 🙂

Hmmm – fountain of youth? That would work, too . . . . 😉

LOL – derned Ponce De Leon!

@keoni
    July 15th, 2014 at 10:02 pm #
    Gunfunnit means watevah you want it ti mean.
    ______
    Gesundheit then. 😆

Another option? LOL, you talking fountain of youth? The closest thing I can think of is the fountain at one side of Kapiolani Park. People bathe in there so it’s definitely not the elixir of the gods. 😆

LOL – there is another option, but most people don’t like it …. 😉

@4G – LOL, see, it’s another way of saying that when we’re old, we want to be young again. Hope they find a cure for the memory one of these days. You can’t take with you any possessions when you go, but you sure can have good memories all the way up to the very end.

I never wanted to grow up. I should have been more specific. LOL – I should have specified that I didn’t want to get old!

🙁

Hey, we’ve got Peter Pan in the house. Isn’t he the one who never wanted to grow up? Welcome to Never, Neverland. 😆 Out of all the ailments of getting old, the vision is the one that bothers me the most. Got 20/20 hearing, 20/20 smell, 20/20 taste, 20/20 touch, but 20/20 million vision. Hai, shigata ganai! Sometimes, it feels like being on the Planet of the Apes. 😆

11. DIO says:

I’m still waiting for my first childhood to kick in. 🙄

12. keoni says:

Gunfunnit means watevah you want it ti mean.

13. keoni says:

@Seawalker It’s a viscous cycle, yeah? Dat why I stay momona!

14. keoni says:

I stay waiting fo’ my second childhood to kick in! 🙄 : lol:

It freaked me out the first time somebody called me SIR!

I thought! OH NO!

Am I all grown up now?

16. DIO says:

“Ev’ryting punctuated wid da F word. ”

What you mean? When I stay stop talkin’ or ‘riting, I punctuate em wit da F word…. FINISH so people know I stay finish. 😉

When you start saying, “oi-sho” getting out of chair or picking up something heavy like a tennis ball.

Whatever happened to the Geritol generation?

That would have been us around now, yeah? 😉

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…when you start using such words as gunfunnit. WTH does gunfunnit mean anyway? 😆

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…is when you start wearing sweaters around the house during the summer months in Hawaii. The skin grows thin in old age. So you start bundling up. Can’t even imagine that ski jacket you have to wear when you go outside to do yard work. And another thing. Those that wear sweaters get big opu. Just let your stomach lead. 😆

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…is when you ‘earn’ the reputation of being stubborn and the rest of the family acknowledges it. It’s not necessarily being stubborn. More like hard-head. Hard-head is a function of growing old. Just count the number of giri-giri on some of the great-grandpas. If it was a bowling ball, no need any more holes to throw a strike. 😆

@4G
    July 15th, 2014 at 6:04 pm #
    When you have so many medications, you resort to those pill organizer thingies.
    ____

Comes in 7 different slots for each day of the week. Or you go for the deluxe one with 31 different slots for each day of the month. 😆

@keoni & @LK – LOL, use da ‘F’ word only sparingly. Analogy. Too much ajinomoto not only falsely accents the food, it makes you thirsty. Speaking of… that’s why you feel hungry after eating in a Chinese restaurant. The aji or fish bone (not ahi 😆 ) makes you thirsty. You drink cup after cup of water to quench your thirst. But all that water takes up space in your stomach. Only temporarily though. Therefore, not long after you eat, you feel hungry again. “Ohhhh, Grasshopper… is that why you went to college?” “Why yes, Master” 😆

When you have so many medications, you resort to those pill organizer thingies.

@Keoni: so true! When my son got out of the Navy, I thought the “F” word was the ONLY word in his vocabulary. Thankfully after 2 years of college….. he is more refined today and rarely uses it!

26. keoni says:

@Seawalker And da young kids, wat language dey wen speak? Ev’ryting punctuated wid da F word. Auwe!

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…when you actually go around telling people you feeling old. Yes, you are feeling old b/c you are old! You make lame excuses why you cannot carry that 25 lb. bag of rice. Too old. Nope, that’s not it. Too lazy? Yup, that’s it. Either that or you know from previous experience it knocks the wind out of you doing anything strenuous. 😆

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…when you talk to the youngins, they all sound like they got attitude. Actually, you’re the one with the attitude because you expect the young punks to talk to you with respect, kindness, and naivite. But no matter, half the time you can’t hear WTH they’re saying because you stay losing your hearing. That’s the real problem. 😆

@4G and @Seawalker: 😆

Keep the dialogue going….. 🙂

When the day of your birth comes around and you actually forget that it is your birthday! LOL.

Okay – maybe that’s a situation of “conveniently” forgetting . . . . 😉

When people ask you (out of politeness), “How’s it going”, and you proceed to actually tell them how it’s going . . . .

😳

When you call your kid everyone else’s name, including the pet, before finally settling on the kid’s actual name. 😉

@Seawalker – re: hairless

1/2 way there already! 😉

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…when the saying, ‘how’s it hanging?’ literally means it is hanging. 😆

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…when you no need to brush teeth anymore. D@mn thing is soaking half the time anyway! 😆

@4G
    July 15th, 2014 at 7:07 am #
    Seriously – did anyone ever really think that their P-hair would turn gray? LOL.
    Yet, armpit air stays all black? WWD? LOL.
    You know you’ve come full circle when you start examining your navel again . . . . 😆
    ____
    Dude, go hairless. 😆

@Seawalker: I deposited into the Social Security fund for 40 years ❗ I plan to live long enough to get back every penny I put in…. I plan to live to at least 100 ❗ 😀 So far I’ve received 6 Social Security checks. My next one is tomorrow ❗ Automatically deposited into my checking account like clockwork every 3rd Wednesday of the month ❗ Date you receive it now depends on your birth date. Love it ❗ 😀

@4G: so many examples…. you must be MLC ❗ Kidding ❗

P.S. I know exactly what you mean….. 😀

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

@khs: thank you for your kind words….. many of you are anonymous but I use my real name! Couldn’t think of a screen name, am not creative ❗

When you start more sentences than you care to remember with, “When I was your age . . . “.

When the lower quarter of your calf lacks leg hair because of the socks you wear for work.

That now I can retire at any time I choose.

Yet, armpit air stays all black? WWD? LOL.

That I worked 30 years at the same place a few years ago.

That my baby just turned 22 yesterday and that I’m old.

Hit the repeat button please…

Oh, and I forgot… 4 different pupus to 1 Miller Lite. 😆

Oh, and I forgot… 4 different pups to 1 Miller Lite. 😆

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

…when the number ‘4’ takes on special meaning. 4-door car, 4-eyes (and for some of us, 6-eyes), 4 hours of sleep at stretches, but 4-ever young in your mind.

When your kid “forgets” to respond to your phone calls, voicemails, texts and emails. 🙁 LOL.

@khs68 – yeah, I forgot about the eyebrows. That’s weird too! And how do they grow so darned long??? LOL.

When your kid(s) is ashamed to be seen in public with you. 😉

4G
    July 14th, 2014 at 8:06 pm #
    And, what’s up with the hair coming out of ears and nostrils??

…..for real!!! …more trimming and yanking! 😆

Thanks fishhead!

Thank you fishhead and thank you Linda for your kind words. This is why I am so happy to be a part of this blog. We’re all anonymous and from different backgrounds, but somehow we come together like a family that shares the same heart.

55. fishhead says:

fellow bulldogs.
    mark’75 good to hear that you caught it early. wise decision.
    khs68 my condolences. remember the happy and good time memories.

nevah thought that I’d evah see Social Security checks… but made it… been collecting them for almost 4 years now… feels great!!!
    got all kind of goodies… senior bus pass, zippy’s seniors, Ross discounts (qualify at 55)… sr discounts all ovah the place… I guess working for one company for 40 years wuz worth it… enjoyed doing nothing for 3 years wuz fun, but got little boring… working part time is good… best of all is collecting all the monies that I put away for this days… wahooooo

@4G – and what about the loooong eyebrow hairs growing out of control? 😆

And, what’s up with the hair coming out of ears and nostrils?? 😆

When your grandkids yell, “GRANDMA” at the supermarket and everyone turns to look.

@MS – When I used to take my mother to the McD drive-thru, we’d order 2 senior coffees and food. Then when we got to the cashier window, I would get these funny stares. No bother me. The excuse in my back pocket was ‘none for me, mom’s a coffee-holic, 1 is no nuff’. 😆

No problem with the bigger sneakers. Got a problem when only 1 foot needs a bigger size while the other stays the same. Big problem.

I got my very first senior coffee, without asking, at the Burger King at University and King St. when I was just 40 years old!

I went! Wow Wow Lau Lau!

The girl was fresh from the Philippines so I guess all older haoles look alike!…..LOL!

So I have been asking for my Senior Coffee ever since!

And to my surprise! I have never been carded!…..hehe ; )

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

… how about your doctor being younger than you? More than likely, your regular doc retired, and your geriatric doc is fresh out of the internship. Same goes for your dentist, eye doctor, cardiologist, urologist, internist, and all the white coats under the sun. Young whipper-snappers!

When your body actually starts shrinking – unfortunately it’s vertically and not horizontally! 😉

And, I don’t know about orthodics, but when you start to consider buying basketball shoes a half size larger, you gotta wonder WTH is going on! LOL!

When your grandkids consider the Beatles an “oldies group”.

When you have to buy tennis shoes one size larger to accommodate your orthotics.

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

… is when you don’t have to hold your nose anymore when eating hot shredded IKA. You lose your sense of smell. Go ahead, eat all you want. If the wife is on your case, eat some more just to annoy her. 😆

You go to an All Collector’s Fair, and a LOT of the relics look familiar. cheesh….

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

… when the day you see in the mailbox a letter from the Social Security Administration on how much you will be getting each month. Except for @LK, you old-futs better not live forever and collect everything the SSA has in their coffers. I want to see my share too!

Thanks @LK for the words of wisdom. Don’t worry, got no beef with work. Besides, like MJ said to PM, “I’m a lover, not a fighter”, that’s good advice. I’ll tell ’em to stick it where the sun DOES shine then. In his pocket. I blame it on today’s hot, muggy weather. 😆

@Seawalker: Hawaii is too small to burn bridges….. when I quit my job to retire. That is all I said to personnel: “Quit to retire” …. nothing more! No regrets!

@khs68: sincerest condolences on the passing of your Dad. Losing a parent is not easy. I lost both of mine already.

And, you are right, during difficult times in my life, this MLC blog helped me through them! Thanks, Rod, for continuing this blog which cheered me up through many difficult moments in my life. I appreciate the input from all of you!

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

… when you tell your h.r. department to up your flex spending account to accommodate the extra cost of prescription meds you now take. You long for the day when you turn in your paperwork for retirement. Then you can finally tell the boss to stick it where the sun don’t shine! That’s what I hear anyway. 😆

Your car radio presets are more than ample for the two or three stations you want to store in them. In younger days, there never seemed to be enough radio presets! 😉

AND – you start asking, “Just how old is that guy (or, woman)?”

Your boss is around your age, or worse, younger than you.

You start getting asked by people to be the executor for their estate.

Thank you Rodney, Mark & Kan. We’re at that age when our parents, aunties and uncles, those whom we grew up with and learned a lot about life from, are leaving us one by one.

79. 1oldfut says:

…elastic waistbands ARE kind comfy…

80. 1oldfut says:

…or shopping at Longs for that matter…

81. 1oldfut says:

I heard (insert whatever the heck band you thought was cutting edge back in the day here) in an elevator the other day.

82. 1oldfut says:

Long term care plans? What the!?!

83. 1oldfut says:

-I stopped looking forward to birthdays even though you get cool
    gifts.
    -I avoid mirrors and picture-taking. Anything reflective may as
    well be like pointing a gun to my ego.
    -I chose my car because it’s easy to get in and out of.
    -I kinda like beige bermuda shorts now.
    -I complain that Vans shoes don’t have enough arch support.

@khs68 – I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. That’s a milestone no one wants – losing a parent.

@Rod – I’ve *always* listened to oldies stations – my musical tastes run at least 20 years older than I am. I finally started to like Boston about 20 years after they were popular.

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

… some things that never change over time. Way back then, you’d talk about scoring with the honeys, especially during prom season. Nowadays, you reminisce about the honeys you scored with and which ones you wished you scored. Sometimes, you count your blessings at the missed opportunities. Man, how time changes a person’s appearance. Lucky I never go out with that ‘prune’. 😆

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

… when you think back how embarrassing it was to pass gas in school. Nowadays, passing gas or burping out loud is the greatest feeling in the world.

@khs68: My heartfelt condolences regarding your dad…your words put a lump in my throat.

88. DIO says:

ooooops, forgot to add, the moosic video from yesterday was meant to be a dedication. 😉

89. DIO says:

………when you wake up at 5am, instead of come home at 5am. 😛

@Mark’75 – Wow, glad to hear it was caught early. Take care.

@khs68 – Condolences to you and your loved ones on the passing of your dad. I’m glad that this blog helped you somewhat during that difficult period. Your comment means a lot to me. Thank you.

92. DIO says:

MLC Milestones:

When you qualify for Senior fares on TheBus.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! 🙂 Scariest moments were not knowing just how bad the situation was until after the CAT scan and ultrasound tests. Lucky timing.

94. Ynaku says:

Eh young fella? Speak up will ya.

Come closer so I can see you. These dang glasses.

Oh Kupunas 55 and over get special seating for da July 4th fireworks on Coconut Island in Hilo? Going last more than 8 minutes this time? 😆

@4G – Thank you.

And also thank you to Rodney for having this MLC blog. It was a great diversion for me during the hard times with Dad.

“Reunions” primarily consist of funerals.

Starting to get those AARP mailings (when do they start – like at 50?) was quite a reality check . . . .

Nothing says, “Old” quite like beginning to receive AARP mailings . . . . LOL.

The overwhelming priority when clothes shopping used to be style. Now, not so much – now, it’s comfort! LOL.

My condolences, @khs68 . . . .

@Mark’75 – Thank god you got it early. It’s the most curable cancer these days when it’s caught early.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 81 — prior to that he was being treated 7 years for “stomach ailment” with no colonoscopy ordered by the doctor. Finally the pain got so bad he went to emergency and they did an MRI and found a malignant tumor the size of a plum. They removed it and started chemo for the next two years. Dad was “clean” for nearly 4 years, then they found the cancer had spread to his lungs. The oncologist was great and we tried all the newest drugs — chemo cocktails. But, Dad died just this past January. The last 18 months was a long hard road for Dad and all of us.

All your jeans are NYDJ.

102. Kailua girl says:

AARP must know their mailings went right from my mailbox directly to the recycle bin. They are no longer delivered in my mailbox. Yes, denial…but I HAVE very recently swallowed my pride and accepted being “old” for a senior ticket for movies – seeing that our neighborhood movie theatre tickets are $13.00 vs. $9.50.

I cringe when someone calls me ma’am. YIKES! Ma’am is for someone in their seventies. LOL, I might have a different opinion once I’m seventy though.

Newspaper articles refer to 55 as “elderly”.

Shapewear has become an important part of your wardrobe.

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

Waking up in the middle of the night to P. Twice.

Not only that. You get up to also C, to R, to A, and then to P. 😆 (put the letters together–duh!)

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

When that cute little dimple you used to sport, and don’t get me wrong, it’s still there, is just ‘little’ compared to those ugly sun spots littered on your face.

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

When you’re young, you want to be old. But now that you’re old, you want to be young again. Ain’t that true?

The role reversal with your parents is nearly complete.

The one to come is the role reversal with your kid(s) . . . .

4G
    July 14th, 2014 at 7:21 am #
    …The evening gown portion is appreciated more than the bathing suit portion.
    ____

Some of us still tune in specifically to the bikini portion of Miss Hawaii. Fast-forward the rest. 😆

@Mark’75-so happy to hear you will be ok after your surgery ❗ You must be a little older than I am…. HMSA will not pay for a colonoscopy for me until I am 65 years old since I have no “symptoms” such as blood in the stool…. so I have to wait 3 more years for my first one. Please take care. Praying for a complete and successful recovery for you. Eat more bran, fruits and vegetables….. it really does help one’s overall health!

MLC Milestones that you can think of…

Developing thick skin, that is, if you have any skin left in the first place.

112. Corlis says:

The first time you’re called “Aunty” (or “Uncle”) by a younger person who thinks you’re old.

@Mark’75
    July 14th, 2014 at 5:45 am #
    The colonoscopy I took last month turned out to be a lifesaver. A large polyp was found that turned out to be cancer. A surgical procedure removed the tumor which luckily had not yet begun to spread. Two weeks after the surgery, I’m almost back to ‘normal.’ Thing is, I had no clue this was happening inside, no feeling, no symptoms, nothing. Please everyone, keep those colonoscopy appointments!
    _____

Glad to hear you made it out in one piece, @Mark. Da wife’s uncle had the same thing. Had polyps removed, and it was cancerous. He also advised, ‘need to catch it before the buggah spreads’. Thinking about it, thinking about it much more now. Not doing the colonoscopy is like skipping a mammogram!

@ankleBYTERS
    July 14th, 2014 at 6:46 am #
    Just these two from your list Rodney:
    Becoming a grandparent
    You read the Midlife Crisis Hawaii blog 😉
    …- still not settling for a MLC car…performance and HP still top priority 🙂
    _____

I’m with you on this @ankles. No one’s slapping a saddle on Seawalker’s stallion.

Your kid(s) graduate high school.

Still waiting on this one – your kid(s) graduate college.

An awesome one must be, and I don’t expect to experience this in my lifetime, but, your mortgage is paid off!.

Cherry Blossom and Narcissus Queen contestants look AWFULLY young! 😉

You give the talent portion of beauty contests much more weight than you ever did.

The evening gown portion is appreciated more than the bathing suit portion.

You actually listen to the questions and answers of the interview portion and marvel at how ridiculous many of them are.

You actually go to Walmart in the first week of a new store opening – like it’s actually going to be any different than any other of the many Walmarts you’ve been in . . . .

You walk into a room to get something – except, you keep forgetting why you walked into the room – multiple times for the same item, too! LOL.

You prioritize four-door cars over two-door cars due to “practicality”. LOL. If you are a van owner – well, you know . . . . 😆

Just these two from your list Rodney:

Becoming a grandparent
    You read the Midlife Crisis Hawaii blog
    😉

I’ll add these:

– 10% off groceries at Fry’s on the 1st Wednesday of the month.
    – collect Social Security at 62
    – home/auto insurance discount at 55
    – still not settling for a MLC car…performance and HP still top priority 🙂
    – hearing aids
    – bifocals

What seems like the most minor, benign physical movement can result in debilitating pain – often lasting for days.

Your waist size starts approaching and eventually surpasses your inseam size. 🙁

Your brain still thinks your body can do things it used to do.

@4G: Thanks!

You begin to hurt in places you never even knew you had.

You find yourself increasingly rationalizing your age with sayings like:

“Age is just a number” (albeit an increasingly large one! LOL)

“You’re only as old as you feel” (I don’t know about you, but I don’t feel like any 20-something . . . . LOL)

“You’re not getting older, you’re getting better” (LOL – yeah right! In what universe??? LOL)

“40 is the new 20” (LOL!!!)

@Mark’75 – 🙂 !!!

You find it increasingly difficult to relate to the “younger generation” and find yourself increasingly muttering that phrase you swore you never would, “Kids nowadays . . .”

Quantity of life takes on more importance than quality of life at a disturbing rate.

Not from personal experience, but you tend to not know what day of the week it is – you know, because everyday is like a Saturday!

Your “first step”, that was never that quick to begin with, is now officially gone.

You have an exit strategy.

You’ve relayed your important “final wishes” to people (multiple people) you hope will be around after you are gone.

Reading the obits is a daily task.

The time it takes to get your hair cut is less than half what it used to be.

You don’t like loud music anymore.

All the policemen seem like young kids.

You no longer get ID’d, except for verification of “senior” status.

You are called “sir” or “madam” at an alarming frequency.

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Monday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

MLC Milestones:
    …retirement from work after 34 years, 1 month, 5 days and 30 minutes, but who’s counting ❗ 😆

…we both have Mr. & Mrs. AARP cards, 10 percent discount at Denny’s. Discount at Regal Theatres snack bar too!

…senior tickets at the movies.

…senior discount at Jack in the Box, Genki Sushi, etc. always ask if you are a senior…. 10 percent discount adds up ❗ 😀

137. jaydee says:

For me, receiving the senior rate at certain golf courses. 55 wasn’t such a bad age after all. 🙂