RIP Archie Andrews

What?  Archie is going to take a bullet for his gay best friend.  What happened to mellow Riverdale and Pop’s malt shop?  Since when were guns introduced?  And sexual orientation?

Okay, I just did some poking around and here’s what I found:

A heroic demise for iconic comic book character

We all knew Archie Andrews would die one day, but now we know he’ll die a hero, taking a bullet for his gay best friend.

The beloved comic book icon will meet his glorious end in Wednesday’s installment of Life with Archie when he tries to stop an assassination attempt on Kevin Keller, the first openly gay character in Archie Comics. Archie’s impending doom was first announced in April.

“He dies heroically. He dies selflessly. He dies in the manner that epitomizes not only the best of Riverdale but the best of all of us,” Archie Comics publisher and co-CEO Jon Goldwater told The Associated Press. “It’s what Archie has come to represent over the past almost 75 years.”

Keller’s character was introduced to the series in 2010 in the Archie spin-off Veronica. He’s now a married military veteran and senator who is pushing for more gun control in Riverdale. Goldwater won’t say much about the assassin, but hints that he’s a stalker-type figure.

Goldwater also said the decision to have Archie die saving Keller—as opposed to longstanding pals Betty or Veronica—was a strategic way to make sure Archie’s death was about the future of Riverdale, not the past. “Metaphorically, by saving Kevin, a new Riverdale is born,” he said.

“Archie is not a superhero like all the rest of the comic book characters,” Goldwater added. “He’s human. He’s a person. When you wound him, he bleeds. He knows that. If anything, I think his death is more impactful because of that.”

Looks like Archie comics has become graphic novels.  Not quite like the Archie comics I used to read.  But then again, I haven’t kept up for the past 30 years or so.  I suppose the writers had to keep up with the times in order to appeal to the new readers.  So does all the Archie characters carry smart-phones now?  And Skype and Face-Time to keep in touch?  And Facebook to find out who’s at the malt shop?  Or do they now hang out at a coffee house because it has free wi-fi?

But this is Midlife Crisis where the memories live on.  And we remember the original Archie’s gang.

I found this chart of characters.  I’m thinking that the ones towards the bottom are from the newer Archie comics.  But how many do you remember and can actually name?  No cheating and Googling it now.

archie-comics-characters

Here’s the ones that I remember:

• A1 – Archie Andrews
  • B1 – Betty Copper
  • C1 – Veronica Lodge or Ronnie
  • D1 – Jughead Jones
  • E1 – Reggie Mantle
  • F1 – Midge?
  • A2 – Dilton Doily
  • B2 – Ethel?
  • C2 – Moose ____?
  • A3 – Mr. Lodge  (first name?)
  • B3 – Mr. Weatherbee
  • C3 – Miss Grundy
  • B4 – Pops
  • C4 – Hot Dog?
  • E4 – Coach Kleats
  • E6 – Josie from Josie and the Pussycats

A5 – wasn’t that the cafeteria lady?
B5 – Janitor?

Okay, help me out here.  And if you give up, share your Archie and Riverdale memories with us.  It’ll be a Celebration of Life for the memory of Archie Andrews.

********************************************************************

Blaisdell Nights coming up in September 20.  Keep the date open!

20140920 Blaisdell Nights

And following that – Disguise: Haunting, Halloween Party on October 4th

20141004_Disguise

25 Responses to “RIP Archie Andrews”

@Seawalker – I think it may have been a joint effort with Buzz Lightyear ….

@4G – Was that “Buzz” talking about the colonization? Me too. After a 6-pack of Miller Lite, I get “buzzed” and have all these ideas to share and post on MLC. 😆 Either that or Aldrin is fast becoming friends with Mr. Al Zheimer himself, or that Filipino buggah, de Mentia. 😆

3. DIO says:

First there was “Eddie Would Go” stickers, now there’s a new one…

4G Would Go…. I think

😛

Hard to believe that today marks the 45th anniversary of the first Apollo moon landing. That was a pretty big deal and quite an achievement.

I read an article recently that said that Buzz Aldrin is calling for the colonization of Mars, including one-way trips. LOL – kinda makes sense and you can cut half the effort if you don’t have to worry about a return trip. I don’t think that most of the settlers going westward entertained coming back ….

Of course, they at least had a supply of air, water and food! LOL!

Kinda makes me wonder if I would go. Of course, if an alien landed and I had the opportunity to go with them, I think I would go ….

😉

That’s good to know DIO. The MLC version lives on!!!

6. DIO says:

Unless I’m wrong, there’s two versions of Archie Comics. The MLC version, which most of you know, and this “modern” version where Archie is going to die. It’s the modern version that will feature Archie dying. The MLC version will continue on like normal.

7. Volleymom2 says:

What? Archie going to die? Only knew the main characters, teacher, the dog. It brought back memories.

LOL, that’s why you’ll never catch me in Lowe’s twice in one day. Don’t want to be known as the Lowe, Lowe 😆 Instead, I head to Home Depot. They have good Filipino de pot, de paint, de lumber, de electrical, de plumbing, and de garden. 😆

@DIO – LOL! Dunno about that, but had “bucks for Lolos”.

😉

10. DIO says:

4G: Are you sure you shopped at the right store? Are you sure was Lowe’s and not Lo-Lowe’s? 😉

Okay – totally off-topic. LOL.

Been kind of hot and humid lately . . . .

Ever seen those Lowe’s commercials for a “cooling towel” called, “Mission Endura Towel”? Ever wonder if a purchase would be “worth it”?

Qualifier – I’ve been in Orlando, FL like in July. It is disgustingly hot and humid. Found a “cooling wrap” (around the neck) at a Brookstone there. Perhaps, best described as a sort of (width-wise) mini-scarf. Polyester cover, about an inch and quarter (to a half) wide with sufficient length to wrap around your neck. When dry, hard little pellets (about BB-sized, if not smaller) are contained within the cover. You soak in water, the pellets expand into a gel-like substance and you wrap/hang around your neck. Theory is that the evaporation of water produces cooling – kinda like artificial sweat – you sweat to produce “water” on the surface on the skin and the evaporation of said “water” cools the body, and, it is concentrated at the base of the neck which is considered to be a crucial “temperature point” within the human body.

Anywho – that Brookstone thing, for me, worked pretty well. Don’t get me wrong, it is no Godsend, but I could feel the difference.

Problem with that “solution” is that drying the gel/beads spans several days (you don’t want to store the “wrap” wet – ’cause going stink! LOL). And, takes 20 minutes to infuse the “beads” with water.

Enter the Endura Towel. Derned Lowes – in a tropical climate, does not stock the cooling product. Duh! LOL.

Ordered on-line. Not bad. Same kind of cooling sensation as the Brookstone “scarf”, but, no need to soak for 20 minutes and more compact in usage. Have to “re-soak” more frequently, though, but will also dry a lot more quickly for storage.

4 of 5 stars. 😉

Sorry – on closer exam, could be car accident ….

I used to read Archie comics small kid time — especially when I was sick and had to stay home from school. The latest Archie, Campbell’s chicken noodle soup, Diamond Bakery soda cracker with butter, and 7-up with ice. Cough, cough. Nice memories…

Later when Dobie Gillis came out on t.v. thought it was so similar to the Archie story line.

Holy crap! Looks like another pedestrian accident just now. Almost rhe same place as last time. 🙁

I was never into comics. Newspaper funnies. Or even cartoons once I was old enough to get out and run around outside! I could not sit still long enough! I was either surfing, hiking, bodysurfing. Walking my German Shepard on Kahala Beach. Or just exploring our wonderful island home!

E5 – Sabrina the Teenaged Witch
    F5 – one of Sabrina’s Aunts.
    A6- the other Aunt. 🙂
    C6 – I want to say Sabrina’s cat, Salem. I thought he was a different color…

D3- Archie’s father.
    E3 – Archie’s mother.

Good afternoon MLCers ❗ Happy Thursday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

I loved reading comics when I was a child. Would eat snacks and read comics…. what a life ❗ A comic cost 10 cents back in our days ❗ Haven’t seen any recently. I remember Archie, Veronica, Betty, Reggie, and Jughead. That’s about it.

At’s why when you’re MLC, you go to way more funerals than weddings. Another thing I miss about being young. Read the article about Arch’s death the other day. What a difference when we were young. Back in the days, nothing about g@ys would ever hit the comic stands. My, how times have changed! Used to read Archie and Richie Rich along with Unknown Soldier and Sgt. Rock comics. The superheroes comic books were okay, but not addicting enough for me. Blondie in the SA is my favorite. Me and Dagwood have a lot in common when it comes to work. If I had to choose an Archie pretend character, it would probably be Reggie. Although the wife thinks it’s more like Moose with all the ‘duh’ things I do. 😆 Unlike Ginger and Mary Ann, got no preference between Veronica and Betty. Love the hair, that’s it, I love their hair!

19. Gareth says:

As a kid, I would read Archie comics just once in a while, mainly to look at Betty and Veronica. They were light and fun reading; kind of like having a soda pop, after the heady beer of Marvel Comics (my fave)..

This morning’s theme song 😆

Wow, haven’t read an Archie’s comic book since the early ’70s, maybe in a barber shop. I got the first four in row one….the rest, I don’t know.

LOL – and Thor will be a female, too!

I had heard Archie was going to take a bullet, but that he takes it for his gay best friend is awesome.

C7 (sounds like a chord!) was the schemer from Josie & the Pussycats, but I can’t remember her name (I’m pleading MLC).