Sunday Afternoons

Sunset over the Ko'olau mountain range from Kane'ohe, HI.

Growing up on the windward side, this is how we’d often seen the late afternoons.   The sun shining it rays up above the Koolau mountain range, signifying another end to the day.

Sunday Afternoons were the complete opposite of Saturday Mornings.  Instead of happy-happy, joy-joy that the weekend was beginning, Sunday Afternoons meant that the weekend was closing and I had to dread another week (which felt like a month) of school until the next happy-happy, joy-joy feeling.

I remember that when I started working, Sunday was my only day off and after church, I’d catch the bus to Ala Moana Center to meet up with a girl that I was seeing.  Then after spending the day together and came 4:00 – which is when the mall used to close on Sundays – we’d say our good-byes and I’d catch the bus back home.  I recall going though the downtown area and seeing the streets deserted.  Such a difference than the hustle and bustle of Saturday Morning.  And as the bus would head up into Nuuanu, the late afternoon rains would start falling – making sure that Nuuanu remained green.

Then when I finally got home, I remember falling onto my bed and passing out in a matter of seconds.  Then about an hour later, I’d hear the familiar closing theme from Let’s Go Fishing playing on the TV – that was my cue to wake up because I’d been sleeping for an hour.

Sometimes my brother and his family would come over for Sunday dinner or we’d go over to his house to celebrate one of my niece’s birthdays or a holiday dinner.  Then it was time to come home and get ready for another month (week) of school.

Later when we had cars – Sunday was our surf day.  My best memories was after a day of surfing on the North shore, the ride back home to Kailua.  Naturally, we’d be coming back on the Windward route.  Cecilio and Kapono’s first album would be playing on the tape deck.  The drive back was nice and cool in the shadows of the Koolau mountain range.  The winding road made it so simple to fall asleep – but that wouldn’t be fair for the driver.  Nor safe.  So we stayed away singing to C&K tunes.

“Gonna be a Sunday party in the country, it can be a lifetime party – you and me”

When we finally got back to my friend’s house where all our cars were parked, we’d hang out for a while.  My friend (Shoyu Burner) had one of those houses that was very warm and inviting.  One of those homes where everyone hung out.  It was a simple house, and in the back was just an open concrete area with a few weather-beaten Adorondack chairs.  Those chairs were so comfortable.  Sitting in the cool early evening air while the sky turns from blue to orange to violet.  The tall coconut trees swaying in the distance.  After all, this was in Coconut Grove.  And we’d be all laid-back, burned out from a full day of surfing.

Sometimes, we’d fire up the charcoal grill and cook up anything we could find.  I remember when Shoyu Burner and his brother came out from the kitchen with some chicken that they threw on the grill.  The chicken tasted so good right off the hibachi.  I asked them what was on this chicken.  That was my first taste of Lemon-Pepper.

Of course, once we turned 18 years old – then the “beer colas” came out and it got really laid back.  One of the neatest things was that it was under the open sky.  A simple patio in the back yard – open to all the elements.  The cool breeze, the changing colors of the sky, the twinkling of the first star.  And because it was so outdoors, once it got too dark – we all went home.

By then, we were either finishing up college or working already.  It meant that it was time to get ready for another week of hard work.

Sunday Afternoons turning into Sunday night.  It was so depressing for me because I hated going to school.  Watching the Wonderful World of Disney and the Ed Sullivan Show meant that the weekend was coming to an end.  Then seeing Carol Burnette tug on her earlobe signified that the weekend was officially over and it was time to say good-night.

What are your Sunday Afternoon memories?

61 Responses to “Sunday Afternoons”

Another one of my ALL Time Favorites!

Cecilio and Kapono – The Nightmusic

Way too many to list in one post……

Carry on!……My Fellow MLC’ers……………!

God Bless…….My Local Kine Friends!

And Mahalo for sharing your awesome memories!

~Mark

Used to Always listen to good Kine Local Kine Music during Our Sunday Afternoon Fun!

Here is just one of them.

Cecilio and Kapono – Life’s Different Now

How about a new Tuesday or Thursday Thread Idea for more Local Kine Music Fun Rodney?

And Much Aloha and Thank You’s for your Hawaii Blog! So we can all have fun and remember OUR good old Hawaiian Dayz!

Aloha! Bradda!………Mark

Eh, @keoni, heard a lot about Milton Hersey from others too. Must be something else. But must have things that were junk about MHS. No shame, at McKinley, me and @MS had a auto mechanic teacher who was constantly stressed out. That, and the buggah didn’t really teach all that much. Maybe that’s why it was such a memorable class. 😆

4. keoni says:

Eh DIO, yup dats how it would read! 😆

5. DIO says:

keoni: I think I can answer this one for Rod:

(imitating Rod)

My favorite subject in school was………..

(End of blog post.)

Artesian well – I always thought that The Willows was a cool restaurant. Sort of like going back in time ….

7. keoni says:

@Rodney Dat going take some hard thinking, yeah? 😆

dihudfan
    July 25th, 2014 at 9:30 pm #
    @Mark Shelby… did you know that the water at the Pagoda is from a natural artesian well?

Yes…….It was always a very special place for me and my family.

@keoni – Favorite school subject – hmmm…

When they finished the H~1 through Kaimuki, my Dad did not like that! He just Loved OLD Hawaii! We had been going to Hawaii since 1955, and earlier for my Mom and Dad. So when they completed the H~1 Dad would purposely drive home from church on Judd Street or original “old way”! Before there was no H~1 for us.

Which brought us up Waialae Ave. to Kahala. Dad would drive very slow and he would point out all of the nice old buildings, and talk about how things used to be. I loved this during Christmas time. Because we could see all of the Christmas lights on the way home from evening Sunday service.

OH!……And Add Pagoda Restaurant to my list of Sunday restaurants above, we used to visit. I used to feed the carp. And do you know that they can live over 50 years! So I have often wondered if any of those carp I used to feed when I was 5 years old are still swimming around at the Pagoda.

My Sundays started at 9 am at church on Judd Street. After church a large group of us family friends would pick a fun restaurant to go to. Wo Fat’s…..Royal Hawaiian Hotel……the old original Grass Shack in Waikiki on the water (torn down long ago)….the Le Ronde….The Ranch House in Aina Hina…..etc. All the good old ones!

Then head home to get ready to decide which beach to go head out to that had the best waves for surfing or bodysurfing! Listening to the surf report in the car on the way home to get ready to choose.

If their were no waves, then it would be a fun all afternoon hike anywhere on Oahu! Or long bike rides. Exploring Diamond Head, and Black Point on the ocean. Peaceful walks on Kahala Beach and Diamond Head beach. Bike ride to Waikiki to people watch.

@4g… thanks for info… good ones go early…

Ma Po Tofu…..wow!

@Seawalker – thanks for the recipe! 🙂

Ma Po Tufu, Seawalker style…

2 blocks soft tofu
    1 tray ground turkey from Costco
    1 bell pepper
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 onion
    1/4 cup green onions
    1 tsp. Srircha sauce
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. corn starch
    1-1/2 tsp. olive oil
    1 tsp. oyster sauce
    1 tsp. tsao tsing wine from Chinatown
    1/4 cup black mushroom (secret ingredient and optional)

Dice everything up pellet-size including the mushroom. No need for the tofu. Brown turkey first before adding rest of ingredients. Thicken with corn starch. Use high heat as much as possible. Give it a little oil at the end to give your dish a shine.
    ________________________________________________________

* You can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. Serve over hot rice. It is fine to have it for either lunch or dinner. Enjoy.

Nowadays, I try not to take any naps during Sunday “melancholy” afternoons. Only on Saturday afternoons. Those naps are wicked and messes up your sleep pattern. In fact, I try to do more around the house on Sunday afternoons just to tire myself out. Man, this boat is headed for trouble in the retirement years. 😆

Unlike some of you, mine is a toss-up between ‘going home’, ‘lunch’ and ‘recess’. And in that order, mind you. Toss in field trips and playing hooky during grade school and you got the whole shebang of favorite subjects in school. 😆 That’s why some of us make the big buck and some of us don’t. 😆

19. DIO says:

“Favorite subject in school….” I second that: Lunch!! Oh how I miss the days at Hogwarts. 😆

@dihudfan – yeah, Paul was a good guy. I sent the obit information to another former co-worker when I saw it. Here it is (wow – it’s been more like five months):

Paul Shigeo Kojima
    Posted On March 25th, 2014 – Honolulu Star-Advertiser
    March 1, 2014
    Paul Shigeo Kojima, 67, of Aiea, a retired insurance agent and funeral director, and an Army veteran, died in St. Francis Hospice. He was born in Honolulu. He is survived by wife Cheryl, son Bennett, daughter Tracey Kojima-Go, three stepchildren, brothers Kenneth M. and Roy H., sisters Evelyn S. Buddenhagen and Carol E. Farrow, and a grandchild. Visitation: 11 a.m. Sunday at Nuuanu Memorial Park & Mortuary. Services: noon. Aloha attire.

@ 4G yeh… Paul and his younger brother Roy, we used to take judo together, he wuz one year older… sorry to hear he passed… lost contact long, long ago… small world yeh…

@dihudfan – was one of the Kojima brothers Paul? I used to work with him. He passed away something like a couple of months ago. 🙁

@khs68 – LOL @ “93 FMQ”!!

@keoni – “permit cards” sound AWESOME! 😉

Re: “if you weren’t grounded with detention . . .” LOL – you devil . . . . Do tell? 😉

23. keoni says:

Sunday afternoons we got ‘town privaledge” at Milton Hershey (if you weren’t grounded with detention). We could go into the town of Hershey from about noon to 4PM and do what we wanted. Usually we ended up at Hershey Park. We were given “permit cards” which gave us free rides on anything at the park. Or we would go swimming at the Park pool for a few hours. When I lived at one of the dairy farms during intermediate school, we had to be back for the afternoon milking chores by 4. Then it was time for dinner and do homework in the evening or play games, read, etc. We were usually in bed and lights out around 9-10 (we were up at 5 AM to do chores, eat and get ready for school on Monday).

@4G: Addicted to Lunch – The Mokettes

25. keoni says:

I remember they often served tomato soup at the MHS cafeteria. Still don’t care that much for it – burned out for life on that.

eh I remembah Televidigest on ch 2… one of my uncles wuz related to the hostess… she wuz korean and her first name wuz Barbara, don’t remembah her last name…. also wuz good friends with couple of Harri’s brothers of Let’s Go Fishin… Wonderful World of Disney… great shows, just had to have a Coon’s Kill hat… Davey Crockett…

@keoni – eh, howzit?!

LOL

LUNCH!!

28. keoni says:

Speaking of school, I don’t know if this has been done before (wat, I MLC!) but how about a topic “What was your favorite subject in school?”
    Wat you think, UR?

29. keoni says:

Gee 4G, I kind of get the impression that you didn’t like school! 🙄 😆

@khs68 – that’s a funny story.

But, I gotta say . . . LOL.

“I couldn’t find the white asparagus which is firm and kinda stringy . . . ”

O M G! LOL

I dunno, man . . . . I recall the canned asparagus I had to eat, growing up, as being white. And it was MUSHY and STRINGY!!!! LOL. 😉

Eh, no worries, @Seawalker. I was actually laughing at your post! 🙂

Tofu is cool . . . . 😉

Sorry, @4G, couldn’t resist. If it was bittermelon, I’d feel the same way. Just for that, I’ll give you a super, duper ma po tofu recipe that’ll also broke yo’ mouth. You cool with tofu or is that low on the totem pole too? 😆

I recently bought canned asparagus thinking my mom would like it since that’s what she put on the table growing up. I couldn’t find the white asparagus which is firm and kinda stringy, but good cold with mayo. So I had to settle for the Green Giant green asparagus spears. Double yuck! When did it get so mooshy, gooshy? Can’t even pick it up with a fork. Mom, who’s a little bit demented, asked “wat’s dis green stuff?” So much for nostalgia.

I think cooked eggplant reminds me of canned asparagus – that stuff is pretty nasty, too! 😆

@khs68 – maybe, I’ll try that Mei Sum eggplant one of these days. They have good dim sum, though! LOL

Oh man! Now that’s just cruel!! 😉

Sunday afternoons was the only day in the week where there was no paper delivery. You woke up early and did your deed for the day. Back then, work was 365 days a year. No vacation. No sick leave. No fringe benefits. No worries. You just didn’t know better. So now, Sunday afternoons were essentially a free day for us. Sundays are supposed to be the day of rest. Whoever wrote that rule must have been smoking weeds. 😆

@4G – If you’re in Chinatown, try Mei Sum’s deep fried garlic eggplant. It’s not mushy and it’s covered with crispy fried garlic bits. Ono

Wild hickory nuts! 😉

@Lowtone123 and @DIO – I totally forgot about Wild Kingdom. That was a staple for me, too! 🙂

41. DIO says:

I never liked the Lawrence Welk Show, still don’t. Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom, The Wonderful World of Disney, and Let’s Go Fishing were things I/we liked to watch on Sundays. Mutual of Omaha was the funniest to me, especially listening to Marlin narrating while watching Jim Fowler, as he was the one interacting with the animals.

Sunday afternoons meant get as much playtime in, before it’s time to head back to school for another long, boring week.

Spanky & Our Gang – Sunday Will Never Be The Same

Sunday evenings after Lawrence Welk, my favorite was The Wonderful World of Disney. Especially when they featured attractions at Disneyland. Could only dream…..

@khs68: Oh wow, Televi Digest! Don’t remember much about the program, but my parents used to watch it sometimes. Forgot about that one!

Another was Tetsuwan Atom, or known here as Astro Boy.

Alternate opening theme, maybe from a later season:

Waaaay back, I remember Japanese programming on TV on Sunday mornings. Black and white shows like Kaze Kozo.
    Original theme song:

My dad used to watch Walter Kronkite’s Twentieth Century every Sunday. I used to call it the Rocket Gibraltar show because Prudential Insurance was the sponsor. I bit the bullet and watched it with him only because the next show was Lassie.

We always watched Televi Digest on Sunday afternoons. And, Filipino Fiesta — Maestro musica! Couldn’t understand a word they were saying but it sure was entertaining.

50. Lowtone123 says:

I remember Let’s Go Fishing with Bruce Carter and Hari Kojima used to do the cooking segment of the show. Then Hari was pared with Stan Wright and then he was solo, or was it the other way around?

51. Lowtone123 says:

Wasn’t Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom and Lawrence Welk on Sunday’s as well? I remember my parents watching.

Thanks, @Seawalker, but, in large part, it’s the mushy texture of cooked eggplant that repulses me . . . . 😉

Try a little black bean sauce with your eggplant, @4G. Garans, ball-barrings going broke your mouth. Stir-fry in there a little pork or even shrimp, some bell peppers, onions and celery–man, is it time for lunch yet? LOL

Heard this on the radio the other day. On Conan, he said a 44 year-old lady in China got into some kind of commotion and got away naked. Something about getting caught shoplifting and in a scuffle, she lost her shirt and her bra. Her chi-chi’s were exposed. Conan said when the cops arrived, they questioned the witnesses there. Nobody got a good look at her face. Some things never change about guys. 😆

LOL – I guess we should have seen this one coming, huh? 😉 Really stretching my memory and it’s already stretched pretty thin! KABOOM! LOL.

In addition to National Hot Dog Day, yesterday was, apparently, also Batman Day. Conan, last night, had a skit with Batman, dressed as a hot dog, serving up hot dogs that were dressed up as Batman. Kinda corny, but I thought it was kind of funny! Oh well, so much for taste, huh? 😉

I was relieved when The Lawrence Welk show was no longer a Sunday TV viewing option! 😉

Sunday mornings, for me, were defined by church. Yuck! That was almost as bad as going to school! LOL.

In the days before the freedom of a car (like up to high school junior year?), Sunday afternoons/evenings were often spent at my grandparents’ house in Waialua. The visits were mostly targeted at a family Sunday dinner. There was no cable TV back then and I remember a pretty tall mast TV antenna that they had. Reception still sucked and TV viewing was not the most enjoyable.

A lot of those Sunday dinners consisted of cooking stuff on a hibachi. My grandfather had a green thumb and there would always seem to be eggplant that would be thrown on the grill. I do not like (cooked) eggplant at all! Funny cause I remember the Lahaina pickled nasubi and I LOVED those! LOL – go figure . . . .

In my house, at that age, it didn’t really matter what preference you had for food. You were expected to eat whatever was served and not complain about it. It wasn’t until about 10 years ago that my parents and aunties who used to attend those Sunday Waialua dinners realized my disdain for cooked eggplant. I guess I was either trained really well, or am really stupid . . . . Even at that, for a couple of years after my “coming out” (LOL!), I would have to remind my mom that I didn’t care for eggplant – likely because she was urging me to order eggplant off of a menu, because, “It’s really good”. If that weren’t bad enough, after each reminder, she would ask me (again), “What??? You don’t like eggplant???” LOL.

The Wonderful World of Disney was a staple on Sunday nights, as were the Carol Burnett Show and, later the Sonny and Cher (*sigh*) Show. There was usually a tinge of sadness, though, because I knew that the end of the weekend was upon me and the next day would bring school. Yuck!

Going to sleep on Sunday night was accompanied by a sense of impending doom – because the next morning meant school. 🙁

Did I mention that I did not like school? LOL.

Funny – some things never change. Going to sleep on Sunday night is still very similar. Now, the impending doom is because the next morning means work . . . . 😉

56. Makiki says:

“Melancholy” was invented to describe Sunday afternoon.

Sunday afternoons was also a time to sober up. Those were the college years and a short period of time afterwards. No act. You know what I talking about. You were hung over on Sunday morning and if it was a bad one, the afternoon was ‘quiet time’ needed to clear your head. If it wasn’t going to the movies on a Saturday night, it was onto somewhere to have a drink. But for me, the best was cruising around with your buds, picking up a cold pack, getting some pupus, and heading up to Tantalus lookout to soak it all in.

Yes, @4G, life was good back then. 😆

One time, after working on a Saturday night, we decided we all needed to wet our whistles. So we got 2 cold packs, and of all things, we had a roast duck for pupus. And you know with roast duck, after several pieces, you get real thirsty. That was good stuff, man. I even remember the times when we got a whole mother-load of hot wings and drumettes from Chicken Alice’s to munch on. Wash it down with a beer, you look back and wonder, how can life be any better?

Only got pulled over twice by the cops and given the sobriety test. But viola, passed ’em both. One time, ran into a road block. I had an open beer I was sipping on. Shoots, panic city. Stuck the beer under my car seat. Cop stops me as one of his random counts. Lie like a rug. Got away with it. But darn it, beer spilled all over my car rug under my seat. Hey, what did you expect for doing evil unto others? It comes back to you tenfold. Hehehe, life was good, eh, when you young?

Buzz words, brah, buzz words. LOL

@Seawalker – sooo, I surmise that life was good back then? 😆

Sorry – couldn’t help myself. LOL – good story! 🙂

So after the papers were done that morning, Sunday meant day 2 of the weekend to act like kids back then. We’d ride our bikes to Liliha Bakery to eat saimin, yup, saimin in the morning. Or we’d choose Honda’s Delicatessen for some chow fun or sushi. Man, life was good back then. How can you not enjoy life on a full stomach?

When we got home, it was onto the TV. But junk, Sunday mornings had all these preachers clamoring away. Unlike Saturday, it was filled with cartoon shows. Church was up next for us misfits. After church, we’d go catch the baseball games played at Lanakila field. Still can’t forget a diving catch one of the outfielders made. He dislocated his shoulder in the process. But he hung on to the ball. Next inning, it was his turn to bat. He couldn’t grip the bat with both hands. So he swung with one hand only. I remember he struck out. Boy, how such a manini thing you remember? Life was good back then. Life was real good back when you were young.

We didn’t do much Sunday afternoon and Sunday evenings. Maybe that’s why Sunday was so enjoyable and memorable. I, too, can still hear the song to The Wonderful World of Disney playing on the tube. Once in a while, it was a really good movie that was shown. Talk about being glued to the television set. Back then, we had a lychee tree. We had a mango tree. We had sugar cane, figs, limes, and jabong in our back yard to pick and eat if you wanted to. Life sure was good back then.

Going to sleep on Sunday nights were different for me. Even when I first started to work, sleeping the night before Monday was not as restful as the other days. Don’t know why. It’s like letting your guard down for 2 whole days, then knowing you have to go back to fight in the war. But heck, it was being on a high for a couple days and coming back into reality. But life was good, no, back then?