Remembering Robin Williams

Robin McLaurin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014)

I’m sure that you’ve all heard that Robin Williams passed away on Monday.  According to his publicist, Robin was battling severe depression of late and unfortunately, he took his own life.  But we’re not here to ask why.  Or to say would’ve, could’ve, should’ve.  Let’s honor him by remember all the laughs he brought us.

I wasn’t a big Mork & Mindy fan.  But watching his stand-up comedy routine made me an instant fan of Robin Williams.  His witty and quick humor was something else.  And he seemed to enjoy that quick pace.  That was what worked for him.  And it kept us laughing.

I wanted to share a few favorite clips of mine.  But first, here’s a little montage of Robin Williams

Here’s one of his classic skits about how the Scottish invented Golf.   NSFW (not much of his comedy is SFW)

And here’s a little X-Rated skit

And finally, this was my real first taste of Robin Williams’ comedy.  I believe I had this album at one time.  My favorite clip is at the 2:35 mark when Robin Williams does a Nadia Comaneci impersonation.

I’m going to miss Robin Williams.  I feel like I had a special connection with him as we both shared the same birthdays.

Rest in peace Robin Williams and thanks for all the laughs.  You are a legend.

26 Responses to “Remembering Robin Williams”

My favorite: Robin Williams does Elmer Fudd singing Fire

@Seawalker – good to see you, man; miss your posts! Re: “Either that or you’re losing it, my friend.” We know the answer is, “losing it”! 😉

@khs68 and @HbH – thanks!

Hey, @4G. Enjoyed your post. When somebody posts deeper than just something in writing, it’s always a good thing for the reader. It takes talent to do that. Either that or you’re losing it, my friend. 😆 Been swamped lately. But always have time to offer an opinion or two or a hundred.

Robin Williams was depressed. But does his final act in life warrant his accolades he achieved in life? I don’t know. It’s like going into the office everyday. Mom always taught me to make sure to say good morning and good bye to everyone, everyday, with no exceptions. What happens to you in between the day does not matter as much. That’s why they say to never go to bed mad at your spouse. So people will remember Mork and how he ended it all without a bang.

Interesting how we gravitate to Robin Williams. He is definitely our vintage and how we label ourselves as MLC. We followed him from his early days in show biz. Physically, he looks like one of us. Grey, wrinkled, and pudgy. Glad to hear he had a humane side to him as well.

4. hawai'ian by heart says:

@4G

You have a talent fo words my friend. Mahalo

5. hawai'ian by heart says:

@khs68

Smart, wise, nani and cool. What more can you say about the local girl. 🙂 ?

@4G – Just adding my two cents… I also believe everyone has a right to die with dignity whenever they wish.

Wow – kinda slow on this topic. LOL. K-den. Just ignore if you no agree . . . . 😉

I hope that it is out of respect for Robin Williams that we are all so quiet. Eh, @Seawalker – where you stay? LOL. J/K.

I suspect, however, that there is a bunch of “bachi” thought processes that may be out there. LOL. Like, “Uh oh, we better not talk about it, cause then – you know – bachi!” LOL.

Eh, we all going die at some point. No one, that I am aware of, is, or has ever, got out of life alive. It’s not a matter of “if”, it’s a matter of “when” and “how”.

LOL. For me, I am more afraid of the “how”. Like – I wouldn’t want to burn to death, or drown, or be eaten alive. But then again, it may not be up to me, yeah? LOL.

“Quick and clean” would be my preference. Main thing, your affairs need to be in order (or, at least, mostly in order 😉 ). Don’t want to leave a whole mess behind for someone to clean-up after, right? 😉

LOL.

It’s “Lion King”. Along with Hakuna Matata, it is, more importantly, the Circle of Life. If you live, you going die . . . . That is the way it works. For the record, I don’t like it either . . . . 😉 But, that is the way it is.

Are we here to live our lives, or avoid death? I submit that the latter is rather futile . . . .

For me, I think it’s better to embrace and prepare than to be in denial of something that is inevitable – as much as one might not like it . . . . You know???

Peace! Thanks for listening, or not! 😉 LOL.

8. hawai'ian by heart says:

I had no ideal robin was such a good standup comedian. Im going to have to check out his work. Don’t always the best die young or younger? RIP

9. PA says:

wasnt a big mork and mindy fan, his standup good but a little too
    animated, it was his movies that made me a fan of his good morning vietnam and the darker ones garp, and the one with pacino then hearing about his genuine generosity the world is diminished a bit without him

10. Kailua Girl says:

@Volleymom 2 Michael J. Fox…I believe he was diagnosed years ago.

dihudfan…..I used to cry from laughing with Robin Williams too! What an amazing man!

loved him from Mork and Mindy and there after… great comedian and great actor… super quick witted… he made me cry from laughing and he made me cry from great acting… may he rest in peace!!! nano nano…

Mork and Mindy Season 1 Episode 01&2 – Pilot

First appearance of Mork happened on Happy days……

That’s when I knew that a new show was coming! Soon after Mork and Mindy appeared!

Mork Meets The Fonz ……

“Mork and Mindy” (I used to watch “Happy Days”, but honestly don’t recall the “Mork” episode. I likely saw it, but it didn’t register). 🙁 LOL.

I thought “Mork and Mindy” was the bomb. LOL. Okay – maybe was Pam Dawber, but still . . . . This guy, Mork, was insane!!!

I will qualify with the fact that I think Jonathan Winters is something else, too . . . . LOL.

I have a very unpopular point of view in that I value quality of life over quantity of life. I mean, there is definitely a balance, but the deciding factor in that balance is quality, for me.

That said, not that it matters, and just stating a personal opinion, I agree with his decision. It does not diminish my memory of him in the least, in fact, I think more highly of him as a result.

🙂

Don’t get me wrong. I have total respect for Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali. It’s just different decisions for different people. It’s all good . . . .

Peace!

Michael J. Fox – yes.

17. Volleymom2 says:

I didn’t like Mork and Mindy but I loved all his films especially the Birdcage and Mrs. Doubt fire. His wife said he has Parkinson’s and wasn’t ready to go public. That one actor on Family Ties- doesn’t he have that too?

Quick Wit………..sorry….typo.

I first saw Robin Williams on a Happy Days episode around 1978. I thought he was hilarious.

And then I wondered if this was a lead in to a new show. And it sure was! Mork and Mindy.

I first remember watching Mark and Mindy in about 1978. I was driving 18 wheelers back then and selling original oil paintings in hotel ballrooms all across the mainland, Canada and Australia.

That first night I watched Mork and Mindy I remember I was in a hotel in Denver. It was a long hard cold night Blizzard drive to get there from Albuquerque.

I got in the hotel room and turned on the TV. And there I saw the Mork and Mindy show for the very first time! The very first episode.

I was hooked from then on! I would always be sure to pull off the road at night and get into a hotel so I could enjoy Mork and Mindy after a long hard day on the road! And just laugh my azz off! Priceless!

I enjoyed Robin Williams and quit wit comic brilliance ever since!

That’s an awesome story, @Kailua girl! 🙂

At the 2:20 mark of this interview, Morgan Fairchild shares how genuine Robin Williams is when he’s one-on-one with people. A softer side of Robin. As @Kailua girl shared with us.

22. Kailua girl says:

Years ago we used to go to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation annual fundraising event in Los Angeles. Our daughter was about three years old and climbing a tree but wanted to go further out on the branch. I told her it was too dangerous. She began to fuss and Robin Williams sincerely asks me, “Does the little miss need help?”

Our family spent many a night rolling in laughter, watching Mrs. Doubtfire. He was brilliant in all of his performances and how lucky we were to be part of those few seconds that he was genuinely concerned about a little girl, wanting to climb a tree. No “on” performance but just him being a loving human being. Love, prayers and strength for his family and friends… such sadness.

My phone didn’t cooperate this morning with a link to “O, Captain” (from “Dead Poets Society”):

Also found this tribute:

Good Morning! I was sad to hear of Robin Williams passing. I used to watch Mork and Mindy sometimes. Also the movies Good morning Vietnam and Ms Doubtfire are a couple of my favorite movies. Rest in Peace Robin!

What a showman. I recall a stand-up routine on TV when George H. W. Bush was President. He said, “George Bush has been President for just one year, and already his wife is on the one dollar bill!”

O Captain, My Captain …