Good Night and Good Morning

Reprinted from March 23, 2009

Moon Sun

Are you a Night person or a Morning person?

Sometimes your job dictates when you go to sleep and when you wake up, but I think everyone has a built in clock that identifies whether they are a morning person or a night person.

First of all, let’s clarify the titles – in general terms.

A morning person is one of those people that wakes up when the sun comes up.  They open their eyes and “bing”, they’re up and ready to go.  But on the other side of the coin, they’re struggling to watch the K5 News at Nine.  Joe Moore at 10:00, forget it.

A night person is one of those people who not only stays up to watch Joe Moore at 10:00, but the K5 News at Nine rebroadcast at 11:30.  And the hardcore night owls even watch the 1:30 AM rebroadcast of the K5 News at Nine.  But the flip side of their coin – they only buy alarm clocks that come with a snooze button.

My friend Ryan is a morning person.  Coming home from socials or nightclubs, he’d be passed out in the car before we’d even reach the Pali tunnels.  Once he even fell asleep mid-sentence!  But by the time we’d just be starting out our surf day, he’d be back home already from an early morning surf session out on the North Shore.

Me, I’m definitely a night person.  An early night for me is maybe 11:00.  Usually, my head hits the pillow around midnight.  But come morning – I’m dragging.  My alarm goes off at 6:10 AM when I hit the snooze button.  Then again at 6:15.  And 6:20.  And I’m finally out of bed at 6:25.  I brush my teeth, shave, and make a pot of coffee in my sleep.  This being my Monday through Friday routine.

Come the weekends – I’m up somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00, mostly because my back starts to hurt.

Luckily, Paula is a night person too.  But she gets up before me on the weekends to feed the dogs and start the coffee.  My favorite line to her is “Wake me up when the coffee’s ready”.  But that’s just the weekends.  Weekdays, I’m the one going back to the bedroom telling her “7:15!”.

When I think about it, I’ve always been a night person.  When my mom used to wake me up at 7:00 to get ready for school, I used to get out of bed and walk directly to the couch and lie down again.  She’d ask me “What do you want for breakfast?” and I’d answer “I don’t know“.  She reply with “Do you want eggs?” and I’d answer “No“.  She’d ask “Do you want toast?” and again I’d answer “No“.  Then she’d ask “Do you want cereal?” and yet again I’d answer “No“.  Then she’d say “Sorry boy-san, but I can’t help you” and I’d mumble “But I’m hungry“.

What a rotten kid, yeah?

Most times I’d just skip breakfast.  I guess what I really was hungry for was sleep.

So how is it that when I sleep-walk outside to get the morning Honolulu Advertiser, I see all these retired folks out for their morning walks.  Don’t tell me they’re all morning people.

I remember reading someplace that the older we get, the less sleep we need.  So since retirees are older people, then it must be that they need less sleep, thus they wake up earlier, and that’s why I see them walking and talking and laughing during their morning walks.  And they look at me and see a sleep-walking zombie, still in pajamas, getting his morning newspaper.

I wonder if I’ll be walking around the neighborhood that early in the morning when I become of retirement age – or will I be still be hitting that damn snooze button 4 or 5 times before I decide to just turn off the alarm and sleep until my back hurts.

Now, take Ocean Lover.  He’s definitely a morning person.  He gets more done before I wake up than I’ll get done in the whole day!  And there’s nothing wrong with that.  In fact, the few times that I did have to wake up early on a weekend felt good that I had accomplished so much with still a full day ahead of me.

I remember one Saturday that I had to take daughter #1 to the Ala Moana hotel by 8:30 AM, then I headed to Ala Moana shopping center.  The stores weren’t even open yet!  But the air was so fresh, the mall still wet from a washing and everything seemed so clean and brand new – like the start of a brand new day.  I must admit, it was very refreshing.

How about you?  Are you a morning person or a night person?  Were you always that type of person from when you were little or did you change over the years?  Do you think when you become of retirement age that you’ll be walking around the neighborhood or SUP’ing with NKHEA at the same time the sun just starts to rise?  Or will you still be up late watching Korean dramas, commenting on blogs, or reading your favorite books, then sleeping in late?

******************************************************************************************************

THIS SATURDAY!  Call me or email me if you want tickets.  It’s going to be an awesome night.

20140920 Blaisdell Nights

53 Responses to “Good Night and Good Morning”

@LK – really, yeah? It’s a very disconcerting thought! 😉

2. kailua girl says:

I’m SUCH a nite owl. I can’t get to sleep any earlier than 1:30 a.m. and if I DO have to get up early – woe is me. The idiom, “The early bird catches the worm!” doesn’t work for me. For starters, I hate worms!

4G: walking and talking in your sleep ❗ What kinds of secrets do you tell ❓ 😆

Nighty night everyone.

Star-Advertiser probably has everything.

@Rod… I wonder what happened to The Advertiser’s archive system??? It had a lot of stuff from the library and also backed up everyday pages… I’m sure it’s gone but really too bad… I don’t remembah if it was used to backup online stuff???

Thanks, @Rod! 🙂

@4G – All of my blog entries from when I was blogging for The Honolulu Advertiser are gone. But I have copies of them. You might be able to find something via the WayBackMachine, but no guarantee.

As I get older, I cannot help but wonder how I made it through school. I don’t remember this being a problem before – nowadays, I find it a challenge to stay awake in meetings, lectures, training sessions, etc. – especially in the afternoons!

😆

Re Rainbows: I heard they add dried shrimp to the gravy stock. And what’s interesting is they don’t brown the hamburger for the chili — I saw on t.v. the raw hamburger is just added to the pot.

Good article, @4G. Hope it doesn’t take away from nostalgic feel to the one and only Rainbows. Interesting what Chef Fukui pointed out with the mac salad and gravy. My pops used to always tell the other cooks the secret to good Chinese food is the broth. You use the broth as the basis for your gravy. Food secrets, exposed. 😆

Rainbows is my go to place after I paddle.

This “non-morning” person is up! 😉

Off-topic – looks like the Rainbow Drive-in expansion is about a week away. Interesting backstory from the Star Advertiser this morning:

Nostalgic Noshes
    New Rainbow marketplace serves local grinds and forgotten favorites

By Betty Shimabukuro

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Sep 17, 2014

JAMM AQUINO / JAQUINO@STARADVERTISER.COM
    The drive-in will sell Rainbowls
    JAMM AQUINO / JAQUINO@STARADVERTISER.COM
    Rainbow Drive-In’s Jim Gusukuma has invited Hawaii Nostalgia Studios to sell its line of T-shirts at his new market off Kapa­hulu Avenue.

Click here for more info! The plate lunches at Rainbow Drive-In fall firmly in the category of not-broke-don’t-fix. Change is unnecessary for purposes of taste or economics (Rainbow already moves 1,600 to 1,800 plate lunches every day, thank you very much). But growth, that’s OK.

To that end, the owners took a big step in June and take another next week.

HAWAII’S FAVORITE KITCHENS
    >> Location: 3111 Castle St., just off Kapahulu Avenue next to Rainbow Drive-In
    >> Opens: Sept. 24
    >> Hours: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily
    >> Call: 744-0465

No. 1: They brought Hiroshi Fukui on board as vice president for dining and facilities. Fukui is a capital-C chef, formerly at the helm of Hiroshi Eurasion Tapas, a restaurant acclaimed for its sophisticated contemporary Japanese cuisine.

No. 2: Next week Rainbow opens Hawaii’s Favorite Kitchens, a market next to the Kapahulu drive-in that will bring several local food outlets together in one space with an overall theme of local grinds and nostalgia.

“I didn’t want to do a Rainbow clone,” Senior Vice President Jim Gusukuma said. Instead he wanted to offer food he didn’t think he could add to Rainbow’s menu. “People were asking, ‘Why don’t you do poke bowls?'” for example, he said.

Instead, at the new market, chef Elmer Guzman’s Poke Stop will sell poke bowls; Hoku BBQ Chicken will plate up chicken grilled right outside; and a KC Drive Inn counter will offer Waffle Dogs and the once-famous Ono Ono peanut butter and chocolate shakes. Rainbow will contribute Rainbowls — rice bowls topped with the drive-in’s shoyu chicken, chili and teriyaki beef or pork.

HawaiiNostalgia Studios will sell its line of T-shirts printed with images of gone-but-not-forgotten local eating joints(Chunky’s, anyone, or Kuhio Grill?).

Eventually Gusukuma would like to feature dishes popular at restaurants that are no more. “Dig up old recipes, dig up old restaurants, if we can find them.”

To that end it wouldn’t hurt to have an experienced chef on the team, and it turned out that while this concept was in development, one was available.

Fukui and his former restaurant partners had a falling out last year. Fukui scouted locations for the new restaurant that most people in the industry expected he’d open. But even with financial backing assured, the risk was discouraging, he said. A new venture would have required up to $2 million. “I’m a pessimistic guy. I thought, ‘What if I don’t make it?'”

Then Gusukuma called, offering a position meant to see Rainbow into its future. Gusukuma and company President Harvey Iwamura inherited the drive-in from their in-laws, Seiju and Ayako Ifuku (they both married Ifuku daughters), but there is no one in the family likely to take over from them.

“Here it’s not just coming in and working for somebody else,” Fukui said. “It’s the possibility for the future.”

Of course, supervising a staff making plate lunches is a world apart from the art-on-a-plate that was his hallmark at Hiroshi’s, and Fukui said he does miss the creative challenges.

Some of his colleagues were surprised by his decision, and not always in a positive way — “they think I’m wasting my talent” — but his good friends, Fukui said, understand the financial stability and the different type of professional growth Rainbow offers.

He brought his former kitchen manager, Douglas Fujii, with him as an assistant, and together their focus is on the new market and the old drive-in, building efficiency in an operation far busier than any place they’ve worked before.

It is a different world, Fukui said, but a familiar one. “This is the first place I ever ate when I came to Hawaii (in 1977, from Japan). I was 12 years old. I lived up the street. I think it was a chili plate.”

Fukui said he judges plate-lunch quality by two things: macaroni salad and brown gravy. Rainbow excels at both, he said, “but I’m not giving you the gravy recipe.”

The mac salad, though, he will share, a good thing as I get many requests every year for this local staple. Recipes tend to be similar, but this version is unique in its technique. It takes two days to get it right — the cooked macaroni sits in water for a while, then drains overnight. Once dressed, the salad is chilled for another night to get the flavors just right.

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN MACARONI SALAD
    1-1/2 gallons water
    1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon MSG (optional)
    2-1/4 cups mayonnaise (Best Foods preferred)

Bring water to boil, add macaroni, boil 30 to 35 minutes on medium-high. Remove pot from heat; add 3 cups cold water and set aside 10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water to remove starch. Let drain in colander at least 3 hours but best overnight.

Combine remaining ingredients. Add to macaroni and mix. Refrigerate overnight; serve cold. Serves 20.

Approximate nutritional analysis, per serving (with optional MSG): 250 calories, 20 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, no sugar, 3 g protein

Guud morning MLCers! Wake up!!!!

@LK – I’ve been told that I talk in my sleep. That’s kinda spooky; who knows what I might say? LOL. 😉

I”m aware of two sleep walking instances and suspect there have actually been three. There’s probably more, though. For some of my 3 a.m. pantry raids, I remember waking to evidence of eating, but I don’t remember actually doing it!

Oy! LOL!

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Wednesday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

4G: I don’t walk in my sleep but hubby says I laugh out loud while fast asleep! I must be in Vegas winning I tell him! LOL!

4G….hehe

Luckily I live alone. So nobody can sleep walk here and steal my good food from my refrigerator! ; )

Many times I go on huge walking expeditions in my dreams though! I go to all kinds of fun places! ; )

@Mark Shelby – LOL!

I can sort of relate to falling asleep with the TV on.

But, I had been debating about asking about “sleep disorders”. LOL. Like, say, I dunno – anyone have any experience with sleep walking episodes? 😉

How many of you night owls need to leave your TV on to fall asleep? I do. Because when I turn off the light, my brain gets louder! The TV drowns it out!…..hehe

Hey, @Rod – any quick way to get to the March 23, 2009 post?

I’m more productive in the early morning. At work I can do more things earlier in the day from 6-10am compared to afternoon where I start to get less energy. When I paddle in the dawn hours, I can paddle faster and longer compared to paddling in the afternoon like after work. I can’t go as fast or go as long.

What would be ideal, like someone mentioned earlier, is to just be able to sleep when i’m ready to and wake up when my eyes open. I find that when that happens i’m more productive during my waking hours. Unfortunately that doesn’t jive with my work schedule.

Good morning MLCers!
    Been at work for a half hour already. Wake up everyone!

Good Morning!
    @Kage When we first got Miki I would ignore her if she tried to wake me up. She learned quickly that I won’t get up. However on work days she gets to go downstairs before my in-laws wake up, she will wake up my mother in law because she wants to eat, even though she has the same food in her bowl upstairs. She has my in laws trained, she nags them for food, she never does that to me.

Good morning, MLCers ❗ Happy Tuesday ❗ 😀

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

I’m definitely a night owl ❗ I usually am up until 2:00AM daily, entering contests. We donated the Geo Tracker I won in 1997 to Kidney Cars last year so I am trying to WIN another one and other things too. I love the cool breezes in the middle of the night. I only wake up early when I have to and when in VEGAS ❗ Otherwise my usual wake up time is 9:00AM. I’m up to check my email and FB, then I go back to sleep until 9AM. Been retired for 4 years now and love it ❗ 😀 On Wednesday we’ll be getting passports for the first time…. we plan to take an Alaskan cruise next year….. one of the ports is in Canada so we will need a passport ❗ New adventures on the horizon…..

Have a great day everyone ❗ 😀

27. Volleymom2 says:

Back in school and college I used to get up at 10 am. What a change- I guess I am both. Like to get up early to do things around the house as well as errands but I like to go to bed late. Sleep deprived . I function on 4 1/2 – 5 hrs of sleep. Last year I started to take 20 min catnaps when I got home and feel refreshed when I get up. In fact it’s time to sleep now- good nite!

I remember high school/college years – sleeping until like 2/3 in the afternoon. LOL – used to drive my mom nuts! 😉

There have been a few times over the last several years when I came home at 5 a.m. only to get cleaned-up, change clothes, and head on into work ….

😉

since I worked nite shift over half of my working days… I’m a nite/morning person… go sleep late and wake up early… can not help… this alarm clock in my head that goes off automatically, each and everyday… once in a blue moon I’ll sleep maybe an hour more and wake up because my back aches… but now a days… get the nods aftah lunch and dinner… but what wonders 15 minutes of cap nap can do…
    I still get up, with my eyes shut, waiting for my alarm to go off at 5:00 am…

“Sleeping in” for me usually means 6:30 / 7:00 or so.

Other than an (increasingly infrequent) occasional karaoke marathon night, I am a morning person.

I love waking before the sun rises, when everything is fresh, and you can watch the beginning of a new day. I wake up earlier than I need to so I can leisurely drink my coffee and have my oatmeal and watch the sky turn colors.

Dannnng, I sound like a granny! LOL!

LOL I thought this topic sounded familiar!

@Kage – At our place, it’s the birds that do the yapping. Every morning, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp… sorry, not music to my ears.

Howzit @HBH? We stay hot and sweaty in this weather. Still good, especially with the a/c cranked up high. 🙂

My sleep patterns are getting worse lately. Darn those K-dramas…once you watch one, you gotta watch five episodes! Actually I’m a “tweener”; hybrid early bird and night owl. No matter how late I stay up (sometimes until 2am), my brain gets up at 6am — body not until 7am.

@Kage: da rubba slippa works good on my cat especially when he starts gnawing on the night table to make me get up. We think he might have been a termite in an earlier life.

37. HbH says:

Howzit everyone? I hope everyone is good?

38. HbH says:

In the die hard night owl But im also blessed in i can sleep thru a hurricane lol

I have always adjusted for the type of jobs I had to what my sleep preference was.

If I was to retire today I would say I am a morning person. I like to get up and lazy around the house before getting things done. Typically on weekends I will wake up by 6am and get out of the house no later than 10am.

Come to think of it, it is my cats that wake me up on the weekends. If anyone knows of a trick to teach the cats the concept of weekends, let me know. “shaddap and stopppit” do not work. I tried it for years.

I’m a night person…….maybe more on that when I finally wake up. ; )

The problem is, my mind won’t stop when I turn off the lights!

41. NKHEA says:

Eh UR you talking stink about me…….nah….. just a lurker now days

take care

I’ve always been a morning person. My eyes pop open at 4am and I have a hard time trying to sleep in beyond that. By 9pm though, I’m usually nodding off watching TV or entering my last posts on the MLC blog.

On the weekends, I’m in the water before 6am to standup paddle and back home around 9am just around the time Masako is getting up. I get in around anywhere from 6 to 10 miles of paddling and I still have a full day ahead of me.

For some reason, I like the 10 p.m.’ish to 5 a.m.’ish time of the “day”. the best. LOL.

I believe that I have read, recently, that the eight-hours of sleep per night guideline may not actually be true. Depending on the person, the “ideal” amount of sleep per night can vary between six and eight-hours, with notable exceptions down to four-hours/night. Your mileage may vary – I guess there is no “one number” that fits all people. Sorta makes sense, to me.

I also read that, before the invention of artificial light, a lot of people slept in four-hour increments (with something like two increments per night). Apparently, it was not unusual to sleep for four-hours, be up for something like two-hours, then go back to sleep for another four-hours, or so.

I don’t know if I have a dysfunctional sleep pattern, or not, but I think my sleep patterns have tended to mimic that kind of broken sleep pattern. As I get older, I find myself tending to take more frequent, but also shorter naps. LOL.

I like NOT being tied to a clock. When you feel like getting up, you get up. When you are tired, you go to sleep. Unfortunately, this is not conducive to a work-a-day world, so this tends to happen only on weekends and holidays/vacations. 🙂 The transition from Sunday night to Monday morning tends to take conscious effort, lest I won’t be getting up in time for work on Monday. Funny, the transition from Friday night into the weekend is not a problem at all . . . .LOL.

Wikipedia classifies the two types as “night owls” and “early birds”:

I think that I have always thought of myself as a night person living in a day person’s world. 🙁

I definitely prefer the nighttime to the daytime. What’s odd is I also enjoy the early morning hours. I think, for me, though I like the pre-dawn hours, I’m not an “early bird”, yet, since I also like the early morning hours, I don’t fit the exact definition of a “night owl”, either. LOL – I guess that makes me a vampire. 😉

For me, my ideal waking hours would be from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.

I’m an early morning person. I’m up at 5am everyday, seven days a week, no need alarm clock. If I go bed at 1am, I still get up at 5am. I’m at work by 6am and I don’t start till 7am.
    On the weekends, I’m in the water SUPing before the sunrise.

@4G It was like that all night! I didnt want to get out of my car when I got to work this morning.

Good Morning! I can relate to this, at this very moment I am trying not to fall asleep. Did anyone else have a hard time sleeping last night with the humidity? Anyway back to topic. I am a night person by nature, always was. Unfortunately my job was meant for a morning person. I start at 6 AM. Even if I try to go sleep early I have a hard time going to sleep, until maybe the middle of the week when i’m so tired i’ll go sleep at 8 if I can. I usually sleep until 8 or 9 on the weekends which is why I love my weekends so much.

Growing up we always had to be in bed a certain time and when we were told to get up, we had to get up. My parents were morning people. So I pretty much remember always not being able to sleep than being tired all day from childhood. For me the best part of living on my own was being able to sleep in on the weekends, Holidays and vacations.

The only exception is when i’m traveling, I like to get up early because I don’t want to waste the day because there is so much to see and do. My typical travel schedule is up at 6 or 7 and we go sleep at midnight. I catch naps here and there on the train and stuff and can sleep for days after I come home.

Yikes! The air is super thick (muggy) and disgusting this morning! 🙁

LOL.

51. AnkleBYTERS says:

I am both a morning and a night. I’m up early to be at work at 6am but am up till midnight+ on most weeknights. I sleep in whenever I can on weekends/holidays/telecommute days. I’ve been on this schedule for almost the last 20 years….not healthy my friends tell me…you need your 8 hours they tell me…get to bed earlier they tell me.

Signs of sleep deprivation and what it may affect:

– poor memory
    – lack of concentration
    – handling of stress
    – excessive eating
    – poor decision making
    – vision problems
    – moodiness
    – relationship issues.

The only one that I may have is poor memory….but what MLCer doesn’t !!

52. AnkleBYTERS says: