In Search For The Perfect Shave

Remember when you guys couldn’t wait until you were old enough to shave?  After watching your dad plaster his face with Rise Menthol or Barbosal shave cream, then run his trusty shaver across his face, paving a pathway of skin though the white snow-looking shave cream.

It was 9th grade.  A Friday night dance night.  I decided that it was time.  After taking a shower, I busted out my dad’s shave cream, slathered it all around my face, and took his trusty Gillette razor and shaved for the first time.  After meeting up with my friends, as we were walking to the intermediate school dance – I revealed to them that I shaved.  One of my friends said to me “Oh, I was wondering what all those little pieces of toilet paper all over your face was”.

Shaving nicks

In hindsight, I guess I should’ve practiced first.

That Christmas, Santa brought me my own Gillette Trac II razor.

Shaving Gillette Trac II Razor

This was a big advance in technology compared to my dad’s double-edge razor – where you had to take apart the razor and flip the blade around without cutting your fingers.  Nope.  This was Twin-Blade technology.  Press the two little buttons and drop your blade cartridge right into the rubbish can.  Then simply snap on the new cartridge right from the blade pack.  Don’t even have to touch the metal blades.  Later, I graduated to the new and improved Trac II with the pivoting heads.  Woo hoo.

But for the longest time, I kept using Rise Menthol shaving cream – just like my dad used.

Then, before the word “Metro-sexual” was even coined – I experimented.  I went up to the cosmetics department in Liberty House – specifically the Clinique counter – and bought a bottle of Clinique Men’s Shaving Gel.  I liked it as it gave me a closer shave than the drugstore shave cream.  And it helped Paula score free stuff when Clinique ran the Free Gift with Purchase promos.

Then I tried using The Body Shop’s men’s shave cream.  I loved it.  It helped the razor glide nicely and kept my face lubricated for the second, third, and forth passes because, you know – I’m half Okinawan.  But then they changed the formula.  And the new Maca Root formula doesn’t seem to have enough lubrication for me.

Oh, I also moved to using a brush to apply my shave cream.  It’s less messy than using your fingers.  And I can use the brush to apply more shave cream for a second pass on those tuff areas.  BTW FOLKS – JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR, I’M TALKING ABOUT SHAVING MY FACE!

And I’ve resigned myself to using disposable razors.  The Gillette Custom Plus razor.

Shaving Gillette Custom Plus

Besides the price of razor cartridges going up and up and up, that and stretching each cartridge to last 15 days – I was getting pretty busted up.  So I figured that with this pack of 52 disposable razor – I’d have a brand new razor every Monday morning for a whole year!

But back to my shaving cream dilemma.  Ever since The Body Shop changed their shave cream formula, I’ve been searching for the perfect shave cream.  Some of you on Facebook might have already replied to my call for help.

I’ve tried using The Art of Shaving (Sandalwood) and it’s okay but not quite what I was looking for.  What’s good is that it comes in a tub so I can use my brush.  I’ve tried a sample of Blade Runner by Origins but I don’t like the cool mint/menthol feeling.  The same goes for Kiehl’s White Eagle and Lite Flight shave creams.  The Blue Eagle is without the menthol, but it still doesn’t have enough lubricants.

Bath and Body Works Ocean shave cream – too thick.

Jack Black’s Beard Lube – Good stuff for wet/dry electric shavers.

I just got a sample of Jack Black’s Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Shave Lather and will be trying that out this week.  What’s good is that it comes in a tub so it can easily be used with a brush.

I also have samples from LushD’ Fluff shave soap and Prince shave cream.  @sally had mentioned Lush’s Dirty shave cream – but the guy in the store said that it doesn’t have what I’m looking for – lubrication.

So my search for the right shave cream continues.  I’m hoping that the Jack Black shave lather will be what I’m looking for.  I’ve read about Lab Series and that they too changed their formula and people liked the old stuff better.

Has anyone tried the Dollar Shave Club?  That’s the one where you join and they will automatically send you 4 or 5 razors a month (depending on the grade of razor).  And you can also have them automatically send you shave butter (not shave cream), and other shaving products.

Maybe the emphasis should be on the razor and not so much on the shave cream?  I’ve tried pre-shave oils.  Post-shave healers.  But I think it’s all to do with the shave cream.

And for the female MCLers – you don’t have to be left out of the conversation.  Women are shaving their faces too.  See: Why Women Shaving Their Faces Is Now a Thing

42 Responses to “In Search For The Perfect Shave”

@4G… I remembah those injector blades… used them a little while too… wen I wuz in intermediate school, I used to be afraid of the barbers, wen they shaved my side burns and back of my neck… those straight razors used to look awfully sharp… but nevah did get cut by any of those… in fact the best shave I evah got wuz from one barber, hot towel job, brushed on shaving cream, straight razor… so good wen someone else does it for you…

@EMM386 – I’ve seen Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) pop up in quite a number of conversations about shave cream. I’m tempted to give it a go.

3. Hawaiian by Heart says:

Im just a simpleton i use soap and razor to shave with, habit i picked up while i was in the military. But yes once an awhile a nice hot towel and a barber shave is great. 🙂

I just flashed on a memory of playing with an empty injector dispenser. It had a probe, sort of the size of the single-edge blade, and a sliding mechanism.

It’s pictured above the razor here:

Growing up, I remember a couple of times that my dad got upset at my sister – for using his classic double-edge safety razor to shave her legs! LOL. Normally had couple bits of toilet paper on his face as he was giving my sister scoldings. 😉

@khs68 – 😆

I prefer the Gillette Custom Plus for pits and legs. Just my two cents. 😆

When I used the new fangled double or triple blades years ago, they used to get clogged up. So I would clean and brush them with an old tooth brush and water. The key was to keep the blades clean so the whiskers could flow through while shaving then rinsing.

This Aloe Vera Edge gel always worked good for me. I think this is their newest version.

I have a Gillette Fusion and a Schick Hydro 5 razor. I don’t see much difference between the two. I ran out of cartridges for the Gillette so using the Schick now. I change blades maybe every 3 months. After each shave I strop the blade on the back of my forearm or t-shirt or jeans. I read about this technique and it does extend the life of the blades.

I don’t have Okinawan worthy facial hair but I need to shave every morning. I used to shave with only hot water and soap even tried olive oil and aloe vera. I using Neutrogena shaving cream which is more like a creamy oil not foamy, kinda like it but is runny when shaving.

10. EMM386 says:

Taylor of Old Bond Street. You’ll have to order it online, but it comes in a tub like The Art of Shaving, in a variety of scents and shaves fantastic.

One popular conspiracy theory revolves around shaving razorblades – especially the consumable part (the blades that you are “forced” to replace). The theory parallels inkjet printer ink. Anyone subscribe to this conspiracy theory?

Lately I have been getting lazy and going three to five days without a shave. Until I can’t stand it anymore. My face gets hot and I have to get rid of it! But it’s too long for the three head electric razor.

So what I do then is trim my beard first with the pop up side burn trimmer! And lower the whiskers length to the point where it’s OK for the three head side of the electric razor.

Creative YA?!!

13. keoni says:

*Not “O”, but “I”. Proofread, Keoni, proofread!!! 😉

14. keoni says:

I used to use shave cream, but for a long time now all O do is wet my face with hot water and use a double blade disposable razor. It works for me. Anyone else go that (manini) route? 😆

used to grow a mustach because I have a mole ovah my lip and I used to hack it all the time… but nowadays I take my time while shaving around that area…

didn’t start shaving until I wuz in the Army… they issued us shaving gear, the old double sided razon… I have a nice scar from those old razors… disposable’s were always convenient, and whatevah shaving cream that wuz on sale… laddahs started using electric… more easy and fast since I nevah really have too much fuzz… my latest electric’s foil wuz worn out so started using the gillettes, since my wife bought economy pack from Costco… but once a week I used my very, very favorite one, a Fusion… really easy on the face and stays sharp a long long time… but very expensive to buy refills…

17. joeydacat says:

Pacific Shaving Company’s All Natural Shaving Oil – best stuff I’ve found yet. Can’t use your brush but pretty good lubrication. Another side benefit – since its an oil and not a cream, you can see what you’re shaving. Eye sight not so good anymore so any little bit helps. Reasonably priced as well. A little goes a long way.

Sorry for the double post above. Don’t know how that happened. But when I first tried to post my screen froze and the post would not go through. I refreshed my page and now there are two posts the same. Didn’t try to do that! You can see both are the exact same time 4:45PM. Feel free to delete the last one Rodney.

Ain’t nobody gonna mess with my friggin’ Texas handlebar. Well, at least in my mind it’s the real McCoy. Was using an electric shaver until it conked out. Should have fixed that puppy. Never had to replace the blades even once. It was like a 20 year-old car with ultra low mileage. The best thing about it was it could also shave your nose hairs. Dang, I miss that electric shaver. It was only a plug in one, but it didn’t bother me. The last disposable razor buggah I used lasted a good 6-months for me. Talk about getting your money’s worth. 😀

Years ago I used the old metal two sided razor holder like my Dad always used. With that thick white shaving cream. The double sided razor came in a small metal dispenser.

Then I graduated to the new fangled double blade disposables. And I used this new shaving cream that came out as a gel but foamed up as you rubbed it on. Can’t remember the name right now. But they even had it in a aloe vera style, so I thought it was good for my skin.

Years ago I got tired of scraping my face with a razor. So I started using an electric razor.

I finally needed a new one, so my Christmas present to myself this year was a new electric razor. I got real lucky at my local Kohls. I got a free $10 card in the mail.

I used it on this Reg. $79 Norelco. Marked down to $29. Less $10 free card. Less $5.00 Rebate!

Just $15 bucks for a new electric razor! Thank you Santa!

Just $15 bucks for a new electric razor! Thank you Santa!

Go Ducks! 🙂

‘Lectric Shave for electric shavers works good!

On the weekend when I get lazy (and the razor is dull), I use a Braun electric razor. Like @Kage says – it’s not a close shave, but presentable.

My Braun is a wet/dry shaver. If I use the Jack Black Beard Lube, I do get a pretty close shave.

That’s so true! Shaving my face is enough. I don’t want to spend more time shaving my head every morning. Then if I’m going out that evening – shaving my head again!

*Plus, I have this roll of fat on the back of my head that doesn’t look pleasing. Not to mention all the scars from small-kid-time.

I have, over the years, considered a few times, what with a receding hairline and all, just shaving my head and being done with it. LOL.

Then I think of the ritual of shaving my face every morning and think, “The hell if I’m going through that with my head, too!” 😉

I could not grow a complete beard until I hit my 40s. I tried over and over through my adult years and it just looked horrible with bald spots here and there.

I could at least grow a Van Dyke, mustache and chin beard. It was the sides and under my chin that had the bald spots.

I used a Norelco electric shaver for a while when I was going to school and working. On the drive to work from school I used to shave in the car.

Not a real close shave, but good enough to look presentable at work.

Just covering my as bases.

30. DIO says:

” BTW FOLKS – JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR, I’M TALKING ABOUT SHAVING MY FACE!”

😆 This isn’t O&E, Rod. 😆

And when the coqui frog makes it to Oahu, these will be in huge demand!

Off-Topic

Okay – so this is totally off-topic, but I thought it might be of interest to some. Then again, maybe not . . . . LOL.

Ever wish you could go to bed with headphones on to listen to music, audio books, nature sounds, etc.? For many, a set of cans (headphones) or earbuds don’t quite cut it. I stumbled upon an interesting product, Sleepphones:

It’s an interesting concept. If you tend to sleep on your side, these will allow you to lay on your side (ear to the pillow) in relative comfort as you wear them. Sound quality is more than just decent – I would categorize them as above average, but they won’t be winning any audiophile awards. Given the size of the speakers, the sound that comes out of them is actually pretty amazing.

Claims of “blocking noise” by the product are a bit exaggerated – if nothing is playing on the Sleepphones, there doesn’t seem to be any appreciable muting of external sounds. With music/sounds playing, though, they form a pretty effective “sound mask”. Yet, you don’t have to your “sounds” at such a high level that you risk disturbing your partner, having trouble sleeping because the headphone is too loud, or feel like you are putting your long-term hearing at risk.

I actually find the headband more intrusive feeling than a good set of cans or earbuds (not that that’s a big deal, or anything). After all, you’re basically wearing a sweatband/headband across your forehead, over your ears, and down to the back base of your head. However, if you value being able to lie on your side while listening to a pair of headphones, these are a winner!

Guud morning MLC!
    I’m pake so not much facial hair, so I use Norelco electric shave. It does the job, so I’m good.

@Kage – you are a sensitive kinda guy. 😉

TAOS hasn’t opened up in Ala Moana yet. I did visit one of their stores in Fashion Show Mall in LV. That’s where I bought some pre-shave oil.

Did the Art of Shaving open at Ala Moana yet?

I do want to check it out one day and get a close shave from them. I hear they do a preshave routine and warm towels. Sounds like it could be relaxing.

Good Morning!

I gave up on shaving and only trim my beard when it gets scraggly.

When I do have to shave I use Gillette Trac III and Edge gel. I found I needed to use the extra sensitive gel, you know because I am such a sensitive kinda guy…… oh watevers. 😉

I have no idea how well this works (or, not), but I remember reading that some people have had good success using olive oil as a shave “cream”:

When I was in college, I went to one of those parties where one of my friends hosted a skin care sales person. The sales person said one of the reasons guys’ faces tend to age better is that most men exfoliate regularly – i.e., they shave every day. I can see why women shaving their faces is now a thing.

39. 1oldfut says:

@Rodney
    I use those exact same Gillette razors for the exact same reasons. Good value and function for the price and nobody really examines my face that closely anymore anyway. Edge gels are good enough for me. The only issue with gels is that irritating left over foam that appears by the next day, no matter how much you clean off the nozzle after use. That and the rusty can bottom ring that it leaves on your counter sometimes if you forget to dry things off..

Edge shave gel from Costco. Works great for me.
    Not Okinawan, but hairy like one, I could never get a close shave with electric shavers (more pull than cut).

LOL

Norelco – ’nuff said. Use a pre-electric shave lotion, though. Less hassle and no toilet paper face!

😉

Braun is too derned loud a shaver!