Your Midlife Crisis

Reprinted from June 16th, 2008

In the What Year You Went Grad? blog entry, a few of you listed not only the schools and year that you graduated, but also, your Midlife Crisis (Thanks Ynaku). Which got me thinking, what was my Midlife Crisis?

First of all, what is a Midlife Crisis?

Here’s a simple definition:
Midlife crisis: A period of personal emotional turmoil and coping challenges that some people encounter when they reach middle age, accompanied by a desire for change in their lives, brought on by fears and anxieties about growing older.

A more psychobabble definition can be found here.

Interesting enough, it doesn’t say anywhere that a Midlife Crisis is a male thing. It applies to both sexes. But I suppose that the stereotypical definition pertains to men who go out and buy red sports cars to attract young girls. Hah!

So with that cleared up, let’s hear from some of the women too.

And I’d like to believe that a Midlife Crisis doesn’t always have to be a negative thing. I think a positive change can also be a Midlife Crisis. So let’s fly with that.

For me, I’d like to say that my Midlife Crisis happened back in 1998 and lasted through 2001.

I got braces. Bruddah Lance, not leg braces – Dental braces. Ever since I was a kid, I was always self-conscious about my teeth. They were all kapakahi. The bottom was so bad, when I flossed, the floss broke. And I had fangs on the top. My childhood dentist was not a good dentist. He was a butcher. But we’ll save that for another blog.

Daughter #2 was recommended to get braces. Soon after she got her braces, I took her in for one of her monthly appointments and when the doctor saw my teeth, his eyes turned to $$. Nah, just joking, I inquired about them. He scheduled me for a free consultation and convinced me to get braces too. My job at that time had a very, very good dental plan and the orthodontist offered a sibling discount. The orthodontist was Dr. Michael J. Wall. Really cool doctor who surfs on his days off. Dr. Wall has 2 offices – one in Kaneohe and the other one in the Ala Moana building, which was really convenient since we were at Ala Moana just about every weekend anyway.

Dr. Wall usually shoots for 18 months to complete the job, but mine took longer since I had to extract a couple of teeth after my teeth were straightened out. He has teeth extraction done only as a last resort. After my teeth were straightened, the overbite was just too much so I had no choice but to extract. But he gave it a shot and that made my treatment take that much longer. But the time flew by quickly.

So I got my teeth straightened out. Honestly, I think it was money well spent. It did wonders for my self-confidence. It’s too bad that I waited so long to have it done, but I thank my wife and family for encouraging me to get them.

That was my Midlife Crisis.

Just how bad were my teeth? Here’s a after and before picture.

Teeth

So, even if you listed it previously in the other entry, list it again – What was your Midlife Crisis?

*If you didn’t have one (yet), go ahead and list what you’d like it to be.

41 Responses to “Your Midlife Crisis”

@Rod…. didn’t know you had braces…. thought you were naturally handsome ❗ πŸ˜€

Women go through changes too…. I remember when I was going through menopause…. I thought I contracted an incurable illness, a perpetual flu….. I was always HOT, my hair and my clothes were dripping wet at night….. thought I was dying for sure….. then my OB/GYN gave me a magic pill of hormone replacement for a year…. and I was “normal” again…. no night sweats…. and I lived through that horrible year! I should have read about the symptoms and gone for help sooner! Thank God, I’m healthy now! πŸ˜€

3. Fran says:

On the contrary, 4G…women have the ability to selectively forget traumatic events.

I’ve enjoyed reading about all your cars. My husband’s was a ’69 Camaro. Not with fancy stuff, just stock, painted Camaro blue. Gorgeous car. He even overhauled it so he knew everything about Betsy. The only thing he installed was a petcock so if he had to leave it for a time, he’d turn it to cut off the gas line. He also had a toggle on the console which needed to be pressed to start. If someone found the toggle and got the engine started, there would only be enough gas for about a block. The only problem was finding parts. Our 2nd car is a Volvo. Loves to work on it, too. I don’t know if we’ll every get one of the new ones which he wouldn’t be able to work on.

I take it, from the lack of female representation on this topic, that MLC is more of a male thing. Either that, or only the males stupid enough to admit to it!

πŸ˜‰

@keoni – Huh? That sounds like when I tied the knot. Of all the things I’ve ever lost, I miss my wallet the most! That, I mind. Hehehe

You checking out the CNY festivities at Chinatown this year?

6. keoni says:

Dat remind me of one of the funniest sayings I’ve heard:
    Of all the things I’ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most! πŸ˜†

7. keoni says:

Eh Seawalker, even if you mind, most times t still no matter! πŸ˜†

If you remember the Vietnam War, you are probably MLC. If you remember the Korean War, you are probably old-fut. If you remember WWII, well, you probably already dead. πŸ˜†

@MS – Know what you mean. When we look for cars, the first thing I look for is to see if the car is completely stock. Hate guys who tinker around with the car, like adding unnecessary accessories. Just someone who always changes the oil and give it a good wax job once in a while is sweet enough. In Hawaii, we have that dumb-a$$ safety check. Well, to put some ‘tude to my ride, I put an extra piece of metal on the bottom of my fender for the sticker. And no dealership or what-school-my-kids-go-to on my license plate frame. Just a nice simple chrome frame with no wording on it to give it a generic look to it. 1991, eh? Dang, it must be in exceptional shape!

Might be the last car I ever have to buy……..unless I have a Mid Life Crisis! ; )

Sea…..my daily driver 1991 Buick Le Sabre is a Craigslist find from summer 2013. 42,000 original miles. Silver with gray leather interior. Like new! Only $2,000 bucks! Still smells new inside! This was a $28,000 car when new! The poor man’s Cadillac.

33 mpg on the freeway on my long road trips. And rides like a dream! The 3.8 V6 GM engine has been rated one of the best American engines of all time.

Might be the last car I ever have to buy.

My MLC moment came when I got my brand new red 302 Boss Mustang back in the 80’s. We’re talking 8 horses under the hood, not them ponies. Today, I would never pour that kind of money into a car. No need. Nothing wrong with a brand new used car, like how @Rod put it earlier. The last 3 cars I got were all cherry-finds.

@Keoni – What’s happening? Nah bruddah, you still going strong. Main thing the noggins got the oomph and it’s all good. Mind over matter–if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter. πŸ˜†

Yikes! I remember the Black Panther movement. Can you say Angela Davis? LOL.

Then again, my time for MLC was quite awhile ago, too! πŸ˜†

15. keoni says:

Eh Seawalker, I remember the Black Panthers, so guess dat make me da kine! 😯

If you remember the darling gymnasts of the Olympics, Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci, then you are MLC. If you remember the Black Panther movement, then you are too old, more like old-fut. πŸ˜‰

Some of us are into cars. For others, it’s a well-sculptured body. So, for my next gig, it’ll be BUNS OF STEEL. Yeah, baby!

I first saw a short newsclip on this a year or two ago.

This looks awesome!

JetLev R200:

Hey! I didn’t notice this on my first read:

*If you didn’t have one (yet), go ahead and list what you’d like it to be.

Gonna have to think about that one . . . . πŸ˜‰

As far as cars go, I’ve got all the bases covered. So no car crisis here.

The list I currently own….

1972 Porsche 911……………….for my sporty days
    1976 Cadillac El Dorado……….for cruiser days on a cloud
    1988 Toyota 4Runner 4×4…….for my 4×4 outback adventures
    1991 Buick Le Sabre……………..my low miles like new daily driver

I will never buy a new car again. Way overpriced and too hard and expensive to repair. I love old school better anyway.

21. Ynaku says:

@dihudfan Hahahaha. When I was younger I had a 70 Dodge Challenger, 340 4 on the floor pistol grip, posi. Used to burn out the carbon whenever I had the chance.

Now I have a Honda CRV to drive my grandkids around. Slow we go. πŸ˜†

Don’t recall a MLC, living seems to be a constant journey with some peaks and valleys. My crisis was probably in high school, college time, being drafted into the army and early in my work career. Teens and early twenties events were life changing. You make decisions during crisis that will stay with you, for good or bad. My adult life is probably defined by family, and a long work career at a single place. Boringly constant and predictable …with some minor quirks.

Cars

It’s getting harder to find new cars with manual transmissions. πŸ™

A couple of weeks ago, I went to test drive Mini Coopers. They don’t bring any manuals in – you have to special order them! What’s this world coming to???

πŸ˜‰

@Ynaku… good fun riding motocycles!! I went thru that wen I wuz in my 20-30s… now to scared to ride, too many cars on the street now a days… I graduated to sports cars in my 30-40s… MGB, 280ZX… wuz fun but those days are gone… moved up to a Z28 in the 90’s… but now I don’t drive fast… Volvo XC70 (like station wagon SUVs) love the comfort and safety… but this car has the most power of all the cars I ever own… MLC kind of always involve some kind of car…

25. Ynaku says:

Whoo Hoo. I guess I should chime in.

About 20 years ago. I somehow got the urge to live life a little on the dangerous side. I’ve always wanted to ride a motorcycle. Putted around with mini bikes before. Road some dirt bikes. But never something I could ride on the man highway. My friends rode Harleys. My brother in law had a Harley. My Nephew and other family members rode bikes too. I just got the ITCH one day.

An opportunity arose and I was able to buy a Harley although my wife didn’t know it at the time :mrgreen: Boy was she pissed.

I bought her a leather jacket and she cooled down a little. But when I took her for a ride, that was the clincher. I stopped riding for awhile cause i was traveling a lot for work.

Now that I’m retired, I want to get it back on the road. New tires, battery and overhaul the carb and some tune-up should get me ON THE ROAD AGAIN. FEEL THE MOTOR RUNNING. HEAD ON DOWN THE HIGHWAY…

Lately, been working on my 6-pack. Could this be a sign of MLC? I mean, chicks dig the 6-pack. Nowadays, the only 6-pack I know of comes with a bucket of ice, a bag of Lay’s Potato Chips and an uncontrollable urge to burp and fart. πŸ˜€

Me too, for the life of me, I don’t think I hit puberty, no, I mean MLC yet. :LOL: I know the wife didn’t marry her beau for his looks. Surely, not for the money. What money? Brains? Nah, that big muscle-of-a-computer works sporadically only. Then it must be the overall package thing. Hehehe. Can’t wait for old age. But wait, if MLC hits you then, no parts on your body will work anymore. No can win, bruddah, no can win!

My divorce in 1998 was it for me.

I have never had an MLC. But I can’t get a date on Craigslist for the life of me! Maybe that’s my new crisis!….LOL!

MLC…never gave much thought to it…

Some old futs just never learn! πŸ˜‰

LOL.

For those so inclined, here is a life expectancy calculator from the SSA:

The reality is that I began to notice the downhill slide at around 35. I think my midlife crisis came at around 38. My thing? I got divorced. Best decision ever! LOL. Of course, I will also admit that one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life was getting married in the first place. So, I rationalize that my midlife crisis was merely righting an earlier, significant error. πŸ˜‰

I guess I can break it up into two posts.

Hmm – midlife crisis and middle age. Means something like the mid-point in life, right? Sooo – just what is life’s midpoint? I remember, growing up, when the β€œrule of thumb” of a life expectancy was something like 72’ish. My, how times have changed. According to this,

Hawaii residents can expect an β€œaverage” (whatever that is) life expectancy of 81.48 years. And, when did they start breaking them out by states and not separating male/female life expectancies? LOL. This implies that β€œmidlife”, for me, should have been around 40-41.

Actually, the CDC pegs overall U.S. life expectancy at 78.7 years – 75.4 years for males and 81.2 years for females, for those born in 2012. See: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/08/us-life-expectancy-hits-record-high/16874039/. There is quite a bit behind these numbers – it’s actually kind of interesting – but then, I’m also a bit of a geek. πŸ˜‰

I am in moderation purgatory! πŸ™

Darn – forgot about the two-link limit!

LOL.

@Seawalker – πŸ˜†

@4G – LOL at your comment. Wahines, man, I tell you, they claim guys are babies twice in their lifetime. First, when they are born and second, they act like babies when they become makule. No can win, bruddah, no can win. πŸ˜†

38. AnkleBYTERS says:

I had braces in my early 30’s for 2 years….my ex was a hygienist working for a pedo so we all wore braces except for our daughter…straight teeth ever since. I always look at the bottom row of teeth of ppl on TV…to see if they are aligned or crooked. πŸ™‚ Surprising to see so many crooked.

MLC moment? Bought my 1st vette in the late ’80s…had 5 other MLC moments since then….the latest one, last year…lol….

39. Jibo's Brother says:

My MLC-Age 25, just got a 2 yr degree from Community College, wondered what the hell was it all for? I thought after this time i’d be somewhere, doing something, and i wasn’t.
    I ended up going to Electronics Institute (see computer MLC), where i got a 2yr technical degree and worked in computers.

as an aside, my Son had super crooked teeth and had to get his “Sharky” tooth removed and braces done. All by Dr. Wall. Highly recommend him, he’s the best.

LOL – based on the description from Psychology Today, my whole life has been one huge midlife crisis! πŸ˜‰

41. adobo says:

My MLC? Hmm, you got me thinking now. Physically as I aged I knew I couldn’t do things I used to but one thing held constant, in my mind gains in the gym could always be made. By cycling my workouts I could achieve a small gain at the end of each cycle and that was a positive. I’m beginning to have slight back issues now and am on some meds for other things so I’ve slowed down now and view things differently. I also started seriously focusing on retirement savings, up’d my contributions. Maybe I’m just exiting my MLC because I’ve accepted and realized I’m older now? Or maybe because I sometimes find myself advising younger guys and ending the conversation with “eh, bumbai you know” haha.