Reading the Newspaper

Newspaper Reading

Small kid time, like a majority of households in the 60’s and 70’s – the afternoon newspaper was king.  And that was the Star Bulletin.  The Honolulu Advertiser was the AM newspaper.

Our afternoon paper would be delivered between 4:00 and 4:30 everyday – except Sunday of course when it was delivered in the early morning.  My dad used to come home from work around 4:20 and by 5:00 he’d be sitting at the dining room table, reading the afternoon newspaper.  My mom on the other hand would read the afternoon paper the next morning while listening to J. Akuhead Pupule on KGMB radio.  Eventually, my mom switched from the afternoon newspaper to the morning one.  I remember asking her why she switched and she explained to me that since she was in real estate, it was important to find new listings first.  So although the news stories were old, the news ads were fresh.  Ahhh, makes sense to me.

I didn’t start reading the newspaper until I was about 21 years old.  I worked a swing shift job as a computer operator then used to party with my friends until the wee hours in the morning.  So my day usually started around 10:30 AM with a cup of coffee and the morning newspaper.  It was how I used to wake myself up.

And that ritual has continued for some 35+ years – except the partying part.  Of course the working time has changed, but the coffee/newspaper combination remains the same.  I purposely wake up an hour and a half earlier than I need to – just to make time to read the newspaper and drink 2 mugs of coffee.  Every morning.

I know some people will take the Sports section out and read that first.  Not me, I read the paper from beginning to end, each section in alphabetical order.  Except on Sunday when I cheat.  I move the Insight (Editorial section) right after the Local section instead of leaving it after Sports.  And the Sunday Travel section is taken out and put with all the advertisements for Paula to read.

But on Monday – Saturday, it’s Section A – Hawaii headlines and world news, followed by Section B – Local news, Money, Obituaries, and Classifieds, then Section C – Sports, and finally Section D – Today/Entertainment section.

I know for a lot of guys, Sports is the favorite section.  For me, sports is the section that I whip through the fastest.  My favorite section is actually the Money section.  I enjoy reading about businesses, which new ones are opening, what companies are talking about possibly merging, which trends are hot and which are not, etc.

My next favorite section is the Today section.  See, here’s the thing.  By the time I reach the Today section, I’m already half-way through my second cup of coffee.  After doing the daily Jumbles puzzle, the mini Ken-Ken and the big Ken-Ken puzzle, I’m ready to take the section into the “throne room” to read the daily comics – IYKWIM.

There’s just something about holding the large pages of print in my hands and reading the stories.  Even though most of the stories are recaps of the previous evenings TV news broadcasts, it’s almost more meaningful to read the story myself instead of having it read to me.  And I can always go back and reread the confusing or unbelievable parts.

As for softcopy newspaper – I can’t get used to reading the newspaper on a tablet – such as an iPad.  It’s like I have to look for the stories – whereas with a newspaper – the stories are presented to me.  And even reading the “print-replica” on a tablet isn’t the same.  I can’t just glance back to a previous story so easily.

But I wonder what’s going to happen to printed newspaper once us MLCers are gone.  The younger generations don’t read the newspapers.  They get their news from the internet by way of breaking news as it happens.  They will never get to know Dagwood, Blondie, Alexander, Cookie, and Daisy Bumstead.  Or Hagar the Horrible and is sidekick Lucky Eddie.  They might never do a Jumbles puzzle or solve a difficult Sudoku puzzle.  Or read the Auwe and Mahalo stories in Kokua Line.

But I guess they won’t miss what they didn’t know existed.

What about you?  Do you read the newspaper on a daily basis?  Maybe just occasionally?  Or not at all?  If you do read the newspaper, how long have you been reading the paper?  Do you have favorite sections?  Do you read the sections in a certain order?  Do you do any of the puzzles?  Maybe the crossword puzzles?  Do you scan the obituaries for any names you might recognize?  Do you look at the ads to get the scoops on sale items?  Share your newspaper idiosyncrasies with us.

25 Responses to “Reading the Newspaper”

late again… not busy, just lazy… been reading but not in the mood to write anything, until now…
    nevah read the newspapahs too much, wen I wuz younger… maybe just the comics on Sunday… that’s until I actually started working at the newspapah… papahs all ovah the place, no can help but read them… working with the editorial staff made it more interesting to see what they wrote… since I worked for both SB and ADV, I kind of learned that Adv wuz a bettah papah to read about local stories until they split… in my opinion THA wuz a bettah than the SB… even today… papah is lousy and online coverage ever worst… now a days just read a little online and use the SB-A papah we subscribe to, for my dog to do his thing on… serves a good purpose now…

For all of you MLC’ers on a boring Wed. night…..

At last, someone has figured out what we have been worrying needlessly about!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a Seenager. (Senior teenager)

I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.
    I don’t have to go to school or work.
    I get an allowance every month.
    I have my own pad.
    I don’t have a curfew.
    I have a drivers license and my own car.
    I have ID that gets me into bars and the whisky store.
    The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.
    And I don’t have acne.
    Life is great.

Also, you will feel much more intelligent after reading this.

Brains of older people are slow because they know so much. People do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.

Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full, so too, do humans take longer to access information when their brains are full.

Researchers say this slowing down process is not the same as cognitive decline. The human brain works slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only because we have stored more information over time. The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.

Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they get there, they stand there wondering what they came for. It is NOT a memory problem, it is nature’s way of making older people do more exercise.

SO THERE!!

I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can’t remember their names. So, please forward this to your friends; they may be my friends, too.

3. Walter says:

Oops! Brain freeze. the word ‘there’ should be ‘they’re’. Mistake only twice I hope. See why the world needs editors. Thanks, Walter.

@Walter – wow, those are some great memories. Thanks for sharing them with us.

@adobo – Thank you for your kind words. I’d like to think that the comments here are civil because we’re more mature (MLC).

Off topic but fun.

I just got a Christmas greeting email from Frank D.

Remember last year I was emailing him. I was sending him links to some of the blog topics when we talked about Frank. I was hoping he would join MLC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank DeLima
    12:35 AM (14 hours ago)

to me, Mark

Hi Mark. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks for your support. Aloha. Frank

7. Walter says:

Re: my mom’s photo in Dining Out. She’s walking up the spiral staircase from the western dining room to the upstairs tatami rooms. Anyway our neighbor James Takamiya gave us an enlarged original photo as he was one the editorial artists at the Advertiser at the time. You would see his artwork on a steady basis in the paper. Thanks, Mr. Takamiya.

8. Walter says:

My dad subscribed to the Star Bulletin from 1968 onward till the late seventies when he added the Advertiser for several decades and then finally dropped the Bulletin. Could it have been convenience or better reporting on the Advertiser’s part, –don’t know. I began reading the paper in 6th grade when Mrs. Lee of Kapunahala Elementary had us report on current events and called it ‘News in a Nutshell’. The only thing I remember was that an american women married the king of Sikkim (I think). I mostly read the comics, especially the Sunday funnies and an especially hilarious panel was the Easter (’68, ’69, ’70???) Dennis the Menace where Joey won’t let Dennis eat any of his Easter treats because he thinks there all alive. Joey offers Dennis only his jelly beans because “there dead” . The papers themselves were better written then today with more investigative reporting. I remember a series by a white women reporter who posed as a black women (via browning make up) to expose any island prejudice. Also my mom was on the cover of the Dining Out section for Wako Restaurant (summer of 1970) and my dad was mentioned many times later re: environmental issues. Anyway apropos to Christmas, I remember a three panel strip that ran in December of 1971 created by Disney and involved one of Maleficent’s (Sleeping Beauty’s evil witch) goon guards who catches the spirit of Christmas and defects in search of Santa Claus. As it was a continuing strip, I eagerly awaited the next installment but sometimes I missed several days and would have to search the newspaper stack in the closet. You know how difficult they were to find, I mean where could they have gone but when the paper sections were all mixed up, believe me things could get lost. I never did find the last several days and for almost four decades I wondered until I started my music project (more on that later) and had to research the news microfilms and came across one of those strips. I copied them and yet again did not finish and those that I did copy got thrown away by mistake. So one of my goals in 2016 is to copy the entire strip. I ‘ll give it to Rodney to share if he so desires. I don’t subscribe to any paper as I can read them at work. If I did I would opt for the Wall Street Journal– good reporting and good reading in the Off Duty section. Miss the Honolulu Weekly as well. Oh yes forgot to tell that I’m an inveterate comic clipper and have random clippings from many years back. At least they don’t take up much room but funny reading especially the holiday strips.

9. adobo says:

@Rodney: I totally agree, SA comment section draws some real nut cases. Some very negative disrespectful individuals who have nothing better to do than post insults. Sad that they hide behind a keyboard and make comments they would never say to someone’s face. Don’t they know how foolish they look? Rodney, you site is the model of proper etiquette. Everyone here is so nice and sincere and reading all these comments is something I so look forward to. I’m sure I’m not alone. Sir, I tip my hat off to you.

And the people who comment on the SA site are not respectful.

I just visited the SA site and have to agree – junk.

@keoni: I agree with you on the new format…junk!

Interesting the timing of your blog tonight Rodney. I just now tried to read the Star Advertiser online like I always do. And it has gone totally Private! You now have to pay to read the SA online! No Tanks!

Gee, @keoni – I get the feeling that you don’t like the new SA layout . . . .

LOL – J/K! I agree – it kinda blows . . . . 😆

15. keoni says:

I mostly catch the SA online (BTW, HATE HATE HATE the new format!). When I do buy a paper, I throw away the sports section (no interest), and go for the money section first to read Dilbert (I’m easily entertained!), then Today, Local, and then the front section. I like to read while I’m eating, too.

I remember the school newspaper drives. Usually on a Sat.

I guess they recycled them for cash to help the different departments in each school. And all of the parents would be so proud to show up with a huge car load of newspapers! Trunk and backseat filled to da brim!

I read the paper front to back on Sundays. I scan the online version during the week.

I started reading the paper back in 7th grade. Used to go to the library on our break and grab the Advertiser.

I used to deliver the Star Bulletin so no need to grab that paper.

18. adobo says:

Hard copy da best. But you know I use to deliver the Star Bulletin, haha. I remember when I was little my mom encouraged me to read the paper. At first I was like ??? maybe only a fraction of what was printed I could relate to. Then she told me, no just browse through and if you see something that interests you read it. Leads to more and more, sort of broadening your horizons. I guess she knew what she was talking about. Now days, I hit the Local section first then Sports. Unless there’s a particular event or local story in the Sports section. I feel old cuz I do scan the obits occasionally, and we call each other when we see someone’s family mentioned, plan for go and pay respects. Just like my parents. It’s funny you mentioned ads. I just recently started to read the Long’s ads routinely again. Had been shopping mostly Walmart and online before that. Longs Star Market and the one before Hon Kaiser so convenient going to/from work.

Since retirement I get up early, make pour-over coffee, check out headlines of SA online and maybe read something that interest me particularly a game that I watched the night before. Then maybe check email, some blogs, or other news. I check daily the New York Times, Washington Post, NPR, Seattle Times and Civil Beat…only read articles that interest me. After making breakfast for wife I turn on Hawaii News Now Sunrise (It never ceases to please me that I don’t have to deal with the morning traffic) and read SA usually from first page to last page. Yeah, prefer hard copy to screen, easier to scan and select areas to read. Online news has some advantages where you can quickly do a search for a detail not given in the print newspaper. I also read SA sport blogs and the entertaining opinions. I find that the comments on the SA news articles to be generally useless, negative, hurtful or extreme so usually don’t read them.

I do miss having both morning Advertiser and afternoon Star Bulletin, especially when you have differing interpretation of the same event or news. Now I read Civil Beat or check Ian Lind’s blog for another viewpoint.

I must have been reading the newspaper from an early age. Every one older than me read the newspaper so I must have picked up that habit from family.

I don’t do puzzles, do obituaries and only read Pickles (about an old couple and their MLC idiosyncrasies) in the comic section.

20. losthawaiian says:

To me, there is nothing like reading the daily paper on hard printed pages. Like you Rod, I feel like the online copy is missing a lot of the information that you get from a “real” newspaper. I like to be able to go back and forth through the pages and read all the ad’s as well as the stories. In Cali, I used to read at least three papers everyday, including Sunday. The LA Times was the big one followed by the Orange County Register then the local area papers. I like to read the different writers version of the same issue’s.
    I think I started reading the paper after I started delivering it in 7th grade. I would read the Sunday Advertiser/Star-Bulletin from front to back first and save the comics and Long’s ads for last.

21. Mark Ellis says:

I started reading the Star Bulletin at age thirteen, in 1964, and always Entertainment first. Why? The British Invasion, of course. I’d look at sports too, because there would always be a quick rundown of who won the pro wrestling matches at Civic Center or HIC Arena. And I’ve still got many of those old clippings, turning yellow in a drawer.

My exposure to the hardcopy newspaper started small kid time with reading the Sunday comics section and perusing the inserted weekly “mags” (was it called “Parade”?). I distinctly remember taking Silly Putty to the colored comics to lift an image and then stretching the Silly Putty to distort the image. I found it interesting that the image on the paper would fade after the image had been transferred to the Silly Putty. I remember reading somewhere relatively recently that this no longer works since newspapers have moved toward inks that don’t lift off the page. Bummer – except I remember how your fingers used to get a little black from flipping through the newspaper pages before – not so much anymore . . . . . I don’t know whether or not lifting images with Silly Putty works anymore, as I no longer have any Silly Putty. 😉

I never really habitually went through the daily paper until I started working part-time in an office during my college years. It was what you did while sitting in the break room or having lunch. That holds true today – I’ll read the hardcopy paper mainly at work. I don’t get a physical copy of the paper at home. Depending on what I’m doing for lunch, I may not even see the hardcopy newspaper. I think, on average, I’ll physically go through the newspaper every other day during the work week.

One of the priorities, if going through the physical paper these days, is the obits. *Sigh* – I hate getting old! 😆 I kind of like that Geico commercial with “Peter Pan” – only, “Peter” is a bit of an as*hole, yeah? LOL.

Mostly, I find myself perusing the on-line version of the paper. The new format of SA kind of sucks, yeah? LOL. Seems like they are catering to the older crowd (like us?). The print seems bigger, but there is less information contained in the same amount of space. “Print Replica” just doesn’t do it for me due to limitations of the UI.

For the most part, I rely on Twitter as my newsfeed these days, both desktop and mobile versions. Newsfeeds on the Apple TV are kind of interesting, too. I don’t find a compelling usage case with the Apple News app.

One thing I find interesting and VERY scary are the on-line comments afforded by on-line news content. I often find myself with a diametrically opposing opinion, compared to the majority sentiment expressed in those opinions.

Was it Mark Twain that wrote something along the lines of, “you really need to question your stance if you find yourself with the majority opinion?” LOL.

Mainly, I find a chill runs up my spine thinking that “on-line democracy” means that societal opinions, in large part, are being almost overwhelmingly influenced by the peanut gallery . . . .

We all want to be judge and jury regardless of how incomplete our information, or misinformed our opinions are. I am guilty of this thought process, as well.

At any rate, with the hardcopy paper, my preferred order of reading is: 1) Today (my favorite section); 2) Business/Money/Local; 3) Front page (section A); 4) Sports.

I remember rolling up newspapers to play fight swords (samurai-style). The newspaper was kept rolled-up by wrapping it with a rubber band that also served as the “scabbard”. The rolled-up newspapers were the perfect length! Degree of hurt could be controlled by how many sheets you used and how tightly you rolled it. 😆 Or, folding newspaper to make paper hats and/or boats (they were, basically, the same fold).

Sunday mornings, it’s Sports section time on the lua!

And the obituaries are read daily too.

I prefer the print replica version, as its like reading the paper from front to back, not jumping around clicking on individual news stories. From the print replica version, I print out the Sudoku and crossword puzzles.

I enjoy the Sunday crosswords as a way to spend a nice, quiet Sunday afternoon. But in true MLC fashion, I usually start nodding off….LOL

I subscribe to the Star Advertiser online. It’s convenient since I can read it at work or when I travel off island. For the past few months I’ve been receiving the Sunday and holiday newspaper free for subscribing online.