Good-bye 2016, Hello 2017

2016 was a very trying year with the passing of lot of people who touched our lives through music, television, sports, etc.  Even here with our MLC family; @hemajang’s wife, @HNL2LAS’s father and aunties, a dear friend of mine who I used to work with at Windward Volkswagen – all passed on.

But it wasn’t all bad news for 2016.  @Masako had a successful kidney transplant and so far, so good.  And her donor is also doing well.  A little story behind that; I read something about hidden Private Messages on Facebook and posted about it on Facebook.  @Snow saw the post and decided to check out her hidden messages and there was a message from @Masako’s donor who was inquiring about @Masako needing a kidney.  Well, the donor and @Masako were able to connect and here we are today!

Locally, we lost Tom Moffatt, Palani Vaughan, Mark Takai, Clift Tsuji – just to name a few.

And on the national celebrity side here’s some that we bid aloha to in 2016:

JANUARY

10 – David Bowie, Musician – age 69

18 – Glen Frey, Singer / Songwriter – age 67

28 – Paul Kantner, Singer / Songwriter – age 74

FEBRUARY

3 – Maurice White, Musician / songwriter – age 74

13 – Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice  – age 79

25 – Tony Burton, Actor – age 78

28 – George Kennedy, Actor – age 91

MARCH

6 – Nancy Reagan, First Lady of the U.S.(1981-1989) Husband, 40th President Ronald Reagan – age 94

10 – Keith Emerson, Musician / keyboardist – age 71

NOVEMBER

7 – Janet Reno, Attorney General of the United States 1993-2001 – age 78

7 – Leonard Cohen, Poet / Songwriter – age 82

13 – Leon Russell, Musician / Songwriter – age 74

15 – Holly Dunn, Singer / Songwriter – age 59

18 – Sharon Jones, American soul and funk singer – age 60

24 – Florence Henderson, Actress / Singer – Carol Brady on “The Brady Bunch” (1969 to 1974) – age 82

25 – Fidel Castro, Dictator – Prime Minister then President of Cuba from 1959-2008 – age 90

28 – Jim Delligatti, McDonald’s franchisee/created The Big Mac – age 98

30 – Keo Woolford, Actor – age 49

DECEMBER

7 – Greg Lake, Musician  – age 69

8 – John Glenn, WWII & Korean War Fighter Pilot. Marine Colonel. NASA Astronaut. Senator from Ohio (1974-99) – age 95

13 – Alan Thicke, Actor – age 69

18 – Zsa Zsa Gabor, Hungarian Actress and Socialite – age 99

25 – George Michael, Singer/Songwriter – age 53

27 – Carrie Fisher, Actress – age 60

28 – Debbie Reynolds, Actress – age 84

So as we bid aloha to 2016, what other events stands out to you.  Like one of the biggest presidential election upsets in history.  The summer Olympics.  Maybe a vacation you took somewhere.  A new pet.  A new year’s resolution that you successfully completed.

Let’s remember 2016 for what it was and prepare to usher in 2017 with high hopes.

25 Responses to “Good-bye 2016, Hello 2017”

In less than 3 weeks, we will usher in a new POTUS, a new commander-in-chief, and newest member of the most powerful leader of the free-world. Is this a good thing? Change is mostly good and necessary sometimes. In a lot of people’s eyes, Trumq will be the biggest bust or the greatest president ever since George Washington. His east coast style rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But hey, if he does good, and he’s the biggest jack@$$ in the process, more power to him. Something to look forward to in 2017.

Is that the original oldie but goodie, @LK? Hope so because that would make it a great start to 2017. LOL Dotter got married at the Halekulani, eh? Me too. That was the best. Had to monitor the drinks because they charged by the drink. Pake! Nothing changes…

• LINDA KATO says:

Happy New Year, Seawalker! Long time no post… been busy! We had a limit of 2 drinks per person but that ran out and one of the groom’s brother paid for a generous supply of more alcohol… after all dancing was until 11PM! Daughter married a nice Filipino boy so they all loved to dance til 11PM until the band stopped playing! Best wedding I’ve ever attended! Lanai (comedian) was her MC!
      Fun! 🙂 Have a great 2017! 🙂

Happy New Year, Rodney Lee and MLC’ers! So happy Masako is doing well after her kidney transplant. Continued daily prayers sent her way.

Our daughter was married at the Halekulani Hotel with 204 guests on 10/22/2016! That was a moment to remember. We went to Vegas for a week after the wedding. Both our daughter and her hubby reside in Vegas… reason for our 4-5 visits to Vegas every year. They just bought a home in Henderson, Nevada with a swimming pool for $308k. I told her that won’t buy a condo here! My nephew stayed with me for a week in November with his wife and 5 year old child. This has been our busiest year ever! Sorry to hear about the passing of so many MLC friends. I wish all of you good health and happiness in 2017!

4. Keoni says:

I wonder how many of us will continue to write 2016 on our checks? :O

Happy New Year MLCers! Welcome to 2017!!!

Happy New Year!

Glad to hear you’re doing well @Masako! 🙂

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!
    …now if I can just get past moderation….

• Rodney says:

Happy New Year @Mark’75!
      IDK why your posts go into moderation. So sorry. Only thing I might suggest is for you to clear your cache and cookies and try signing in again.

Bummers, man! Diner’s Waimalu closed today, marking the end of an era. Waimalu Plaza ended their lease. It was my go-to place for hamburger and saimin, as they made it the same way as back in the day when they were on Keeaumoku. Maybe they’ll reopen somewhere else? Hopefully…

9. Arthur David says:

One person you should this list. Robert Vaughn, best know for his roles in THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN and THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. past away on Nov. 11, 2016.

I know that for lots of people 2016 wasn’t a good year. 2015 was like that for me, a post that M had written on my timeline showed up on that one year ago today feature on Facebook and only then I realized how bad 2015 was. So for those of you that had a bad 2016, you will forget and have many good things to look forward too. Like M said, this was a good year that will be hard to top. It didn’t really start out that way, in January and February I was still on dialysis, in March we got the news that my second kidney donor did not pass testing. We kept having faith and tried to stay as positive as we could than in April things changed. Thank you Rodney for sharing about that hidden messages and Thank you Snow for checking your messages and asking Craig Williams if he still wanted to donate, it is because of you two that the whole transplant happened and I am forever thankful to you both. I am also thankful for the people on the blog that knew what was going on and prayed for us through the entire journey. So in late July both Craig and I got cleared for surgery and it was scheduled for September 2. We were both told it could be canceled up to the time that we were both knocked out (if the donor changed his mind, something weird showed up in our bloodwork or even if we just had a cough or runny nose). I was so happy when I woke up and was told that I peed on the operating table, I was never so happy to take a piss. Its been about four months and my donor Craig and I are doing great. I truly believe that God orchestrated all of this and used Rodney and Snow as messengers. I had two other donors that got rejected late into their testing and at the time I mad at God but then I realized that God wanted to give me his best, even my local dr said the kidney is working incredibly well for a unrelated donor.

Another highlight of this year is my son Joshua graduating from USC, I couldn’t miss that so we took a short trip for his graduation and I had to do one dialysis treatment on the Mainland then we rushed home so I could resume treatment here.

In 2017 I am looking forward to traveling for fun again. The transplant has given me a good part of my life back.

Happy New Years Everyone!

By far, the most memorable event in 2016 for @Seawalker must’ve been his class reunion. Don’t normally go to these because people only compare their kids, jobs, cars, houses, and who they know. Man, can I ever have been so wrong. Glad as heck I went this time around. It’s was like stepping into a time machine and being exactly like how you were in h.s. We spoke of our health problems, which classmates of ours died, who had the shiniest bolo-head, the successful ones, and whos beer-gut stuck out the most. It was a blast. And not to mention laughing our a$$es off talking about such depressing things. In fact, can hardly wait for the next one. But can’t help but look ahead. Expect to see a bunch of us with canes and to be actually retired. Life is so precious. Life goes by really fast. No one knows when your time is up. But one thing’s for sure, 2016’s class reunion really makes me look forward to 2017. Wish that time could stand still sometimes. The disappointments and dislikes outweigh the joy and happiness by a ton. If we could just hold on to that moment in time just a brief, tad longer…

I echo Pam Vierra sentiments …2016 will never be forgotten, you shed tears, you smile, you live for another day. Writing daily in a journal has been good for me. You can reflect, little thoughts and events become permanent. Stay healthy everyone, take care of yourself and be grateful for what you have.

We were bless by GOD in 2016 with Masako getting a kidney transplant. From being on Kidney Dialysis from 2015 to getting her life back, incredible. Also to be able to walk again from being in a wheel chair in 2015 too. What a journey God took us through this year. Our walk with God is stronger than ever, our marriage got stronger and we can’t wait to see what path our God is going to provide for us in 2017.

14. Hbh says:

“hau’oli makahiki hou” guys and much Aloha.

I am so ready for a new year.

Happy New Year everyone.

Hot diggidy dog! Come 2017, minimum wage will be $9.25 an hour. Yessssss. Someone’s getting a raise. Must be @Seawalker. More pay means less hours needed to work to make the same paycheck in 2016. Less working hours mean more time to blog-hog. Woo-hoo!!!!

SFSG eh, @Masako? Awesome news. Only one way to go and that’s through da roof – speedy recovery to you. BTW, where you stay @Snow? Can never forget a fellow Jhopanee Hai alumni. LOL

Ho Lee Chet, @Rod. That’s an awesome compilation of who when mAke-die-dead. What’s the saying? The good ones all die too young. Nah, a bunch of ol’ futs if you ax me.

2016 been a wild ride. Sort of like a cruise through Hotel St, no? For 2017, it’s going retro again. Make love, not war. Make memories, not enemies. Make money, and you going get plenty honey. Hehe

18. Pam Vierra says:

Everyday is a gift!! Let us cherish every moment and always be ever so thankful and grateful for all that we have!! Thank you Mr. Lee for giving me this opportunity to reflect on the past year as I celebrate another wonderful year of my life!!

19. losthawaiian says:

Wow, it seems like nowadays the people passing are more from our generation or those who we were influenced by. I’m starting to feel mortal with each passing year. I know I really take the time to look at things where as in the past, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought.
    Hauoli Makahiki Hou! Enjoy the new year and all the wonders and memories it may bring you!