Haven’t done a Friday 5 in like, years.
What 5 eateries would you like to bring back from small-kid-time? No shame leave a comment about each one.
Here’s my replies;
- Chicken Alice – We’ve talked about her onolicious chicken many times before. And I still miss it. I tried the fried chicken at Korean places – not quite the same. I remember Chicken Alice as the go-to place before heading out to potlucks.
- KDI (Kailua Drive In) – Mostly for nostalgic reasons. It was so much a part of my growing up. From my dad buying me hamburgers there for 25¢ each (or 5 for $1) to buying breakfast and a cup of coffee before heading to town to attend KCC. Their chop steak was the best – it was more like teriyaki chopped meat and vegetables.
- Lyn’s Delicatessen in Ala Moana Center. I learned late in life about pastrami sandwiches. The few times that I went there, I ate the spaghetti. If I knew then what I know now about pastrami sandwiches, it would be one of my regular spots.
- Washington Saimin – Bulgogi plate. ‘nough said.
- King’s Bakery – With it’s huge slices of sweet bread french toast. Not like slices off a loaf of sweet bread. It was big triangle cuts off the round loafs in the tin pan. Or any of the breakfast items on the menu. Of course there was the usual local plates and saimin. And a must was stopping at the bakery area to take something home for the next morning.
Okay, what are your Friday 5 eateries that you wish you could bring back. If you have more than 5, comment twice!