Friday 5 – Missing Eateries

Haven’t done a Friday 5 in like, years.

What 5 eateries would you like to bring back from small-kid-time?  No shame leave a comment about each one.

Here’s my replies;

1. Chicken Alice – We’ve talked about her onolicious chicken many times before.  And I still miss it.  I tried the fried chicken at Korean places – not quite the same.  I remember Chicken Alice as the go-to place before heading out to potlucks.
  2. KDI (Kailua Drive In) – Mostly for nostalgic reasons.  It was so much a part of my growing up.  From my dad buying me hamburgers there for 25¢ each (or 5 for $1) to buying breakfast and a cup of coffee before heading to town to attend KCC.  Their chop steak was the best – it was more like teriyaki chopped meat and vegetables.
  3. Lyn’s Delicatessen in Ala Moana Center.  I learned late in life about pastrami sandwiches.  The few times that I went there, I ate the spaghetti.  If I knew then what I know now about pastrami sandwiches, it would be one of my regular spots.
  4. Washington Saimin – Bulgogi plate.  ‘nough said.
  5. King’s Bakery – With it’s huge slices of sweet bread french toast.  Not like slices off a loaf of sweet bread.  It was big triangle cuts off the round loafs in the tin pan.  Or any of the breakfast items on the menu.  Of course there was the usual local plates and saimin.  And a must was stopping at the bakery area to take something home for the next morning.

Okay, what are your Friday 5 eateries that you wish you could bring back.  If you have more than 5, comment twice!

87 Responses to “Friday 5 – Missing Eateries”

1. Bruddah Sam says:

TASTY TREAT – Kaneohe

Can’t decide between Kenny’s and Side Street Inn as another of my favorite eateries. Kenny’s has a lot of memories going there with the family when growing up. My favorite was the salmin, not in the restaurant but the one where McDonald’s sits today. Nothing fancy. Just noodles and broth, green onions, kamaboko or char siu, and that piece of nori. If you waited until the broth cooled down, the nori began to almost fall apart. Those were the days when an adult paid for your meal.

Been going to Side Street Inn since the 80’s and still do occasionally. It was slightly after Chicken Alice, so I’m including this one too. Don’t know how many beers I put away there, but the count must’ve come close to the number of pupu dishes we ordered every time there. For the life of me, never been to the new Kapahulu location yet.

Side Street Inn is where we checked out the unreal run Colt Brennan and Co. had in the Sugar Bowl season. Man, usually didn’t get there until halftime but the crowd was always cheering because U.H. kept on scoring and making big plays. That place always got a good atmosphere and a friendly place to people-watch.

• Seawalker says:

And for you stat-lovers out there…

So far Flamingo Chuckwagon was mention at least 7 or 8 times. Forget how much the buffet was. But it can’t be more than half of what buffets are charging nowadays. Added to that is we can’t eat as much now compared to back then. Thank goodness for senior citizen discount. We need a place like the Chuckwagon again. Prime rib is a must!

The restaurant in Woolworth’s was pretty good

• khs68 says:

The Hawaii State Library looked up the restaurant located at 1830 Ala Moana Blvd in 1973. It’s Hawaiian Inn.

• 4G says:

That sort of rings a bell. I wonder if that business took over “Hawaiian Skillet” after it closed (I sort of remember something like that happening)? Seems to match the timeline for when C & P went off the air . . . .

I guess I’ll go check that Facebook group. Thanks for all your help! 🙂

• 4G says:

Or, Hawaiian Inn it is! LOL 😉

• khs68 says:

Seems like China Airlines (Dynasty Hotels) bought the Holiday Inn then the restaurant became China Buffet, now it’s Won Kiki with the Ramada (2010). Same, same Chinese buffet style.

Maybe some of those posters on the C&P facebook have the C&P newsletters and can take a look at the ads.

Checkers & Pogo first aired in 1967 so the restaurant could’ve changed names several times.

• esk808 says:

I think after Hawaiian Inn, it was Dynasty Restaurant when China Airlines owned the building as khs68 said.
            It was a nice Chinese sitdown restaurant closing late at night-maybe 3am, as I remember going there after a night of drinking and eating noodles….

• Seawalker says:

Remember the escalator that went to the basement on Ft. Street Mall? Still can picture it in my mind…

4. Tom Tomai says:

All from the early to late 1960s:
    King Kalakaua Pharmacy (Closed) – lunch counter; had the best scratch made hamburger deluxe for $0.50; also ordered fountain made cherry coke. Operated by family friends and my Mom was the Bldg manager. Next door to the old Cinerama theater; right on the corner end of the King Kalakaua Bldg.

Blue Ocean Inn (Waikiki)(Closed): was right across the street from Kuhio Beach. Sunday dinner; would order ham and eggs over rice (Sunny side up) everytime. Big, deep, leather semi-circular booths; 1/2 restaurant and 1/2 Bar.

Mesamashi (Sp?) (Kakaako)(Closed): walk up dining room in the old industrial/warehouse area off of Piikoi, a block or two from Kapiolani. Best Japanese food ever.

Manoa Chop Suey (Manoa town) (Closed)

Flamingo chuckwagon

Flamingo chuckwagon

• dihudfan says:

Mesamashi, originally wuz located next to the Nuuanu stream in downtown, Kukui and River (?)… it wuz the best place for shrimp tempura, light and fluffy… aftah they relocated across the AMSC… wuz still good until the owner died…

• khs68 says:

Gosh we used to walk by the King Kalakaua Pharmacy on our way to Palace Theater. There were photos in the window of Egyptians doing surgery and the Hippocratic Oath.

testing

6. Walter says:

Coral Reef Chinese and American Food Ala Moana Ctr., Wong’s Okazuya, and Orson’s Bourbon House, Kailua because I used to work there and I want to see if the food was as good as I remember or is it nostalgia that is masking my taste buds. Also Tahitian Lanai (for the pop overs) and Wo Fat (during its prime) as I never went to either.

My fondest memory small kid time was Tenney Tavern located next to the Ewa Plantation gym. Place burned down around 1980, think it was a stove fire, so sad. Had ono food, pork cutlet was a favorite along with the hamburger steak. Loved their lemon meringue pie. There were booths along one side and old fashion soda fountain on the other where you could order green river, banana splits, ice cream floats or coke with squirt of cherry, vanilla or chocolate. I remember being amazed at all the dried out wads of gum stuck under the counter. Went to summer fun at the gym in 50’s and hanging out at the Tavern were fond memories.

Alex Drive-In: Watermelon Freeze & Hot Fudge Banana Royal.

9. esk808 says:

LaRonde: Last time I went there was around October 1990. It was as everyone remembers – revolving once every hour. Food was.. meh ! View was fantastic

Yamachan’s across Precision Radio and Morio’s Sushi. My daughter used to love the sashimi platter, and I, the tempura teishoku. Yama chan and his wife used to run it.

Washington Saimin. I really remember the Korean family who made great saimin.

Restaurant Sada – the great Sada Murayama who made great sushi and authentic Japanese food. One of the earliest authentic Japanese food eateries in Honolulu. Used to be on Makaloa St. where Walmart is now.

Probably no one will remember this one. But in the 1950’s and 1960’s there was Stewarts Pharmacy on the corner of Lewers and Kalaukaua. It was a pharmacy/drug store but it also had a 1950’s style diner. Remember when Woolworth had a diner? Same theme. In the mid to late 1950’s my Father was building the Wigwam Stores and we always stayed in a hotel right across the street. So when it was time to eat, Stewarts was the go to place because it was an easy walk across the street. They had the bar counter with rotating red top bar stools. And normal table seating. It was mostly Haole kine mainland style food, not local. Anyone here remember it?

Back in the day, Waikiki closed up at about 7PM. Right after dinner time! So you had better be quick to get your dinner!

Flamingo Chuckwagon: A mountain of food piled on a huge, heavy plate…au jus flowing over everything, including jello! yum

Young’s Chop Suey: Large won ton mein.

Ted’s Drive In: Mixed Korean plate.

THE Kewalo lunchwagon: Large mixed plate:rice, mac salad, roast pork, luncheon meat, hot dog, meat loaf, noodles (did I forget anything?) all covered in that thin gravy!

Bowl O’ Drome coffee shop: Hamburger/fries with an orange freeze after bowling, or warming up to a bowl of saimin after a football game next door at Honolulu Stadium.

Washington Saimin Stand… everything they made wuz good…

Tin Tin Chinese Chop Suey… cheap and good…

Columbia Inn… at leasst once a week wen working nite shift and almost everyday during day shift, they held a table for us in the bar… wen wuz hungry used to take out their Spaghetti with garlic toast and 2 scoops rice…

Lynn’s Deli at Ala Moana Shopping Center… best pastrami and rye and wuz big…

Tasty Chop Suey wen wuz down King St…. plate lunches were winnahs

I think I asked about this before, but I don’t think there was an answer.

I’ve been trying to recall/confirm a restaurant’s name. I think it was called Hawaiian Skillet, but I’m not really sure.

Checkers and Pogo used to do commercials for it and they were kind of the restaurant’s claim to fame. I’m also trying to verify its location. IIRC, it was at the beginning of Waikiki, on Ala Moana, just past that left bend right as you pass the Ilikai (now the Modern?), before Kalia. I sort of recall it being on the mauka side of Ala Moana.

Anybody else remember this place? What was its name?

What’s there now?

• 4G says:

LOL – Oh wow, just ask hard question. 😉 JK!

The best that I can tell (based on Google maps), must have been where the Ramada Plaza Waikiki (1830 Ala Moana Blvd.) is. There’s a building right in front of the hotel proper with what looks like a patina copper roof/siding. Look’s like a restaurant in there.

But, I’m not really sure. Was in that area, though. 😉

• khs68 says:

I tried to find the 1970 Oahu Yellow pages in the Library of Congress thinking maybe the restaurant was there during that time. Somehow, all the white and yellow pages for the Hawaii phone directories were deleted. Used to be able to go back to 1950’s, but not anymore. I checked the DCCA website for a business name with “skillet” but no luck, too. Sorry. I know this would drive me crazy too not knowing the name of an old-time restaurant.

• Mark'75 says:

Tops Coffee Shop?
      Scroll down for pics and advertisements showing its location.

• khs68 says:

Yeah, I thought might be Tops or Kapiolani Drive-In (neon Hula Girl) but those were on corners. 4G says it was farther down ewa direction past Ilikai (?), in middle of the block.

• 4G says:

Thanks for the help, @Mark’75 (and @khs68). Wasn’t Tops – though I totally forgot about Tops, so thanks for that memory jog. 😉

If you go to Google Maps and search 1830 Ala Moana Blvd and go into Street View, you will see a building right in front of the hotel proper with what looks like a patina copper roof/siding. That sure looks like it could have been the actual building that the restaurant whose name I’m trying to recollect was in.

Its other claim to fame was that there were several commercials with Checkers and Pogo in them getting the kids that watched the show to want to go there. I recall those commercials actually airing during the Checkers and Pogo show, too (in addition to its other airings).

If you’re going Ewa on Ala Moana (from Kalakaua), I’m pretty sure it was after Wailana Coffee Shop and just before that right-hand curve on Ala Moana just before you hit the Ilikai (Ilikai on the left).

BTW, @Mark’75 – looks like you still have “moderation” issues?

I still like Mr. Fong’s in S.F. for Chinese food. Been there several times and always been impressed and walking out satisfied. S.F. food is a little different from Hawaii. Even their roast duck is red in color as compared to brown over here. Don’t ever go to the places recommended by tour drivers. They all point out the cr@ppy places because they get paid for it by the establishments.

But like what @HbH pointed out in Wo Fat on Hotel Street, that was the Chinese restaurant to be in during it’s heyday. Lau Yee Chai in Waikiki was good and popular too. But Wo Fat was tops in the Chinese community. Remembered going to a couple of weddings there when we were young. A little past it’s heyday, but still catching it during the tail-end of its popularity.

LOL, how about eateries you would not frequent?

Don’t think I would have checked out Hamburger M@ary’s, ever. You know what I talkin’ about, the one on Kuhio before. That place you would have to spray Raid under your arm as deodorant and gargle with Pine-Sol first. What, grass-fed hamburgers?

Don’t think I would have checked out Club Hubba Hubb@ neither. Catching the bus home from school, the music would always be blaring from that joint. Back then, it was all Hawaiian a/c so the music would filter through the windows of the bus. You would have to starch your jeans, not wear BVD’s, and let it rub until raw before stepping foot in there.

16. Hbh says:

Call me a tourist or haole lol I no care. I still kinda like the tiki themed resturants. Anyone remember

1)The Waikikian Tiki Gardens
    2) Don the Beachcomber’s
    3) Cocos coffee house
    Memory going

17. Hbh says:

1) KC Drive inn- Ala Wai Boulevard and Kalakaua Avenue, As silly as this sounds? I miss the waffle dogs and the ono ono shakes. I remember running to KCs when my mother didn’t want to cook.

2) La Ronde restaurant. Can still remember the hr it took to do a complete 360′ as the resturant rotated. Food wasn’t what I remember, the very unique experience of seeing the aina from up high was.

3) Wo Fats restaurant. Its just realising that it is a piece of old Hawai’i dating back to 1882. They did serve the old style traditional dim sum though.

4) Farrels. Yes I know there is still one in pearl ridge. But I am talking about the original ones. I was so sad to hear they closed down awhile back. I have so many good memories of this place as one small kid back den. I really was hoping I would be able to share it with my keiki.

5) Pearl City Tavern again thinking unique experience. Anyone remember the monkey bar with live monkeys?

Honorabe mentions. Pioneer Chicken, Trader Vic’s, Uncle John’s

• khs68 says:

Pearl City Tavern. Wow Blast from the Past! I remember going there several times for dinner with Mom & Dad. Loved the monkeys. Too bad was so far from town…

• mows says:

New Farrell’s Pearlridge has closed Sept 2016. So sad once again, was taking my kids there for their birthdays ever since my Rocky was 1 y.o.

Pearl City Tavern was great. I remember the Monkey bar and the Bonsai collection outside. Took my date there once and the waitress was opening the lobster and splashing it all over my date (by accident). Must have been those huge kimono sleeves.

18. old school says:

In no particular order:

Kuhio Grill, aka KG’s. It helped that a friend’s aunt was a waitress there so she’d start us off with the prime pupu like steak and shrimp tempura.

Washington Saimin Stand. Won tun min with BBB sticks.

Chunky’s. Beef cutlet.

Chico’s Pizza. Broasted chicken and wedge potatoes, plus beer and wine by the pitcher.

Columbia Inn. Sizzling steak platter with broccoli, and the coldest draft beer in town. Plus, after you close the bar, walk over to the other side and have breakfast, like home-made biscuits (but you had to ask them to grill it first).

When I think of eateries from small kid time, I think of the places that we took our dates to on a first date. I remember @UR saying he took @AP to Yacht Harbor Tower Restaurant for their first date. And something about getting food on his clothes while eating and needing to go home and change.

Well, yours truly had a first date at Yacht Harbor Tower Restaurant also. Back then, it was young love at its finest. You washed your car that day. You ironed your best shirt and pants that you have. You were feeling all giddy the entire week leading up to Saturday night. But best of all, you didn’t mind phoning for reservations at the perfect place.

It is truly a spectacle to create something romantic when you were so young. That intense feeling of young love happens not too often, but when it does happen, you remember things down to the smallest detail. I remember it was in December. I recall seeing the Christmas lights strung on a yacht in the Ala Wai Harbor through the restaurant window. I remember our waiter giving us 2 chocolate mints at the end of the meal, one for me, one for her.

Unlike @UR, sad to say I did not end up marrying this girl. But nothing but good memories from me and probably for her too. I still remember the rose I gave her that night. Somehow she dried it out, flatten it, and kept it in a book. When I asked her if that was the same rose from our date, she told me yes. I can bet you she still has it. Ahh, such memories…

I only been to Yacht Harbor Tower Restaurant for that one and only time. And I heard they’ve since closed down. Maybe I’ll include this for old times sake. Young love, it happens at such an early age. 😉

• 4G says:

Yacht Harbor Tower – that was kind of a ritzy place, no? I think I have been there only twice. Nice view of the harbor – oh, duh! It’s called Yacht Harbor Tower . . . . LOL

My sister was a waitress there for a little while. I remember she had to memorize the menu.

• Seawalker says:

Our waiter was a Filipino dude, IIIRC. He went over the specials from memory and we were impressed. Still remember how much tip I left that night. Either $6 or $7. It was 10% gratuity back then and not this 15% nowadays. Menu prices has increased substantially, so they would be getting more tip at 10% anyway. These are the things that bug me.

Shirokiya had the right thing before they moved over to the Ewa wing at Ahlaz. Choke bentos to choose from in the $5 to $8 range and a lot marked down 10 to 15% further. Add a beer to your order for a $1 more and you have yourself a complete meal. Heard the beer is still a buck, but it’s not a deal with ramen going for $15.

Little bit remnant vog, but clearer skies looks to be shaping up to be a glorious sunset today. 🙂

College Inn (corner University & Dole, now a japanese restaurant) – Dad used to take me for early dinner after matinee at Varsity Theater. He was a big fan of Gina Lollobrigida & Sophia Loren, the two hot tomatoes of his time. 😉

22. mows says:

Ok let’s try five more:

Flamingo’s (Restaurant Row is now) was it soup or salad, then fruit cocktail then bun and butter? Only can remember the spaghetti.

Flamingo Chuck Wagon Kapiolani buffet. The fried chicken was massive.

The sit down Japanese restaurant at Daiei Pearlridge second floor in the back. Oyako Donburi was the bombage.

Sit down restaurant at Shirokiya Pearlridge.

International Kitchen Pearlridge on tuesday and thursday special. Chicken or Hamburger (American), Chinese, Italian vaguely remember German food. Must have had more, there were a lot of stalls. Remeber the mirror faceted ceiling where if you were angled just right could spock the chicks. Just hitting puberty at the time and it was the 70’s woohooo!!! Parents would take me there at least once or twice per week. Siblings were grown up already.

23. mows says:

Jumbos fried min with char broiled chicken only at the one on Beretania by Times supermarket.

Sizzler’s Steak house by the airport on Nimitz and salt lake. Fond memories of my Dad and Mom taking us kids there.

Sizzler’s Pearlridge fond memories of taking my GF there in the 80’s.

The drive inn that was at Aiea Bowl in the 70’s where my Mom would get us plate lunch (teri beef) when they would go out dancing and no time to cook for us kids.

Omiya’s next to Kanda’s at what looked like an old plantation store in the middle of Aiea Heights. Always wondered what those rings in the concrete in fron of the store was for. 60 cents and $1.20 or $3.40 noodles and chow funn, Cherry coke from the fountain syrup, teri burgers, beef curry plate. Cone and maki sushi, sweet potato tempura. The cone sushi was so juicy and the string bean and carrot in the rice just made it totally AWESOME!!!

Flamingo’s restaurant when it was on Ala Moana Blvd.in the 1950’s – Loved the fruit cocktail, salty crackers, and fried chicken served in a basket.

• 4G says:

And the Jello or pudding for dessert!

• khs68 says:

Oh yes, chocolate pudding! And I forgot about the carrots, celery and olives in the long glass bowl they used to bring out when you first sit at the table. A lot of family restaurants used to do that in those days.

Agree with the picks that many on here have already noted. Wait, only five? Ah, screw it! LOL

1. Chicken Alice – absolutely
    2. Kenny’s/Jolly Roger – miss the Suzy-Q, Teri-King and strawberry slush float
    3. Byron’s – miss the shrimp burger
    4. Kyo-ya – Misoyaki Butterfish!
    5. Andrews – Linguine and clams!

Runners-up

6. Original Orson’s Chowder House (second floor of Ward Warehouse)
    7. Byron II – miss the French Onion soup
    8. China House – dim sum!
    9. Columbia Inn – nothing specifically, just nostalgic reasons, I guess. 😉
    10. La Ronde – the food was so-so, but I have fond memories of that place
    11. Kimuraya Bakery – their manapua was pretty darned good
    12. Shishido Manju (Wailuku) – Not! LOL – actually do miss the manju, not the customer interaction, though

• khs68 says:

I know what you mean about Shishido Manju. That guy knew right off the bat I was from Honolulu even though I lived there for a year. Walk in, tell him I want 10 boxes, he looks at me and says, “6 only”. Wat?? So every time I wanted 10 boxes, my Maui-born friend had to call it in and put it under her name. I guess it’s okay when a Maui person takes mochi to visit in Honolulu.

Same thing with Guri-Guri. The elderly lady behind the counter checks me out. She knows I’m not one of theirs but still she asks, “how far you going with the guri-guri?” I could’ve lied, but I say, “Um, Honolulu”. She tells me, “too far”. I tell her I have a cooler and ice. She still says, “too far”. LOL

• 4G says:

Oh wow. I never knew that Guri-Guri gave customers a hard time, too! 🙁

• khs68 says:

Yep, that was in 1978. The used to pack the guri-guri in chinese takeout containers.

• 4G says:

I remember those containers. I have a vague image with like a rubber stamp on them something like “Tasaka Guri Guri” and their address. Or, am I just making that up? 😆

• khs68 says:

You got it right! The stamp said “Pineapple” or “Strawberry”, too.

• khs68 says:

When the Goodie Goodie drive-in opened on Coolidge Street (Kahai St. Kitchen there now), I tried it but wasn’t as creamy as Maui’s Tasaka. Guess cannot beat the real McCoy.

• 4G says:

Haha, I had the same experience with Coolidge Street – but not totally bad (ate every once in a blue moon).

Thing with my take-home experience with Tasaka’s from small kid time, though, was the home freezer made it too hard. As I got older, I made it a point to make sure and order a scoop or two to eat right then and there at the shop! LOL

Flamingo Chuckwagon – fried chicken, mac & cheese, & of course the prime rib.

Hale Nanea – good memories of breakfast & dinners.

Sampan Inn (Kewalo Basin) – Dad always shared the sizzling steak with me.

Kaimuki Inn – best chopped steak even though I didn’t like bell peppers when I was small. There was something about how the sauce mixed with the rice.

Wisteria – shrimp tempura was my favorite even as an adult. Sad that it closed.

One more…McCully Chop Suey – fond memories of eating wun tun mein after going to Olivet Baptist Sunday school.

• khs68 says:

Gosh so many to choose, so one more:

M’s Ranch House – Whenever my parents took me “riding” to Hanauma Bay, we’d stop at the Ranch House for ice cream cones on the way back to McCully. For as long as I can remember we’d have Christmas eve dinner there every year until it closed.

• 4G says:

Totally forgot about Wisteria!

• 4G says:

I may have mentioned this before, but I had my high school graduation at that Chuckwagon in one of the rooms and I remember going there on several other occasions. In hindsight, I think it was cause my grandpa liked his prime rib.

The image that mostly comes to mind for me, though, is the bucking bronco statue out front. At least I think there was one . . . . 😉

• Seawalker says:

Rajah dat on the Bronco Billy.

I’m going to go with Flamingo Chuckwagon also as another favorite of mine. So many memories of that joint. Think it was my father who first took us there. Somehow buffets are the places I remember the most. Just like when we were in the 6th grade and went to Perry Boy Smorgy’s with the JPO’s. We were the elite flag boys who put up the flag each morning and took down the flag each day. As a reward, they took us to the buffet in Waikiki. Score.

Anyway, back to the Chuckwagon. My dad was a cook by trade. So going out to eat was never a necessity. On our way down to Kapiolani, somehow the topic of sauces came up. We were talking smack about what sauces was good and who made the best sauces. Dad then said, hollandaise. He learned how to make it while in cooking school. He never made it at home for us, but that was his signature sauce at work.

One time, we had a tough workout at the gym. Good no, to burn off a couple thousand calories. Eh, where we going eat? Flamingo Chuckwagon? Yes, let’s go. I don’t have to tell you how much we ended up eating. But whatever gains we made at the gym, we gave it all back double at the restaurant. I do remember the prime rib. But I also remember their corn on the cob.

Eh how come this not showing up as “new post” on lefthand side of the main page?

• Rodney says:

Yeah, I know. Having my web guy take a look. Weird.

• Seawalker says:

Okay @4G, you going be on the blacklist too. Obviously, @Rod is beginning his next chapter in life, dementia and Alzheimers. But that’s fine. When you start turning your same boxers inside out the next day to wear like me, then that’s a sign of senility. LOL

Liked going to Honda Delicatessen when we were younger. It was not so much the food, but the memories of going there from long ago. No styrofoam containers back then. It was a thick paper plate wrapped in a big-aSS sheet of white paper and secured together with a rubber band. The maki sushi had fish dyed in green and red and tasted like something only Honda’s could make.

Finance Factor is now in its place. Don’t think much of the people there understand the history of the joint. In between, Masu’s made a run after Honda’s. But I can still see in my mind the plastic gray rubbish can Honda’s had at the door entrance.

Ho, can read the comments here. Da udder one when kapakahi and buck-a-loose all at the same time. Hope wasn’t me, @UR, wife says I drive her crazy all the time. Hehe.

Okay, I get it. The topic is Friday and to list 5 eating joints. Agree with you 200% on Chicken Alice. That was a unique place and thing she had going. Like I always said, the spicy chicken went down hot and the next day, it came out even hotter. Burn, baby, burn… disco inferno! 😆

More to come…

29. tankobu says:

correction: Club Ruby

30. tankobu says:

Jolly Roger Drive-In: cheesy gal, beefy boy, porky boy
    Jumbo Drive-In: good teri-beef plate, with mac salad
    KG’s (kuhio grill): beer and ono pupus
    Grace’s lunch wagon (UH): long line, cheap eats
    Club Rugy: lunch time, one of the best oxtail soups. night time, woohoo!

31. Gareth says:

Columbia Inn – wonderful family dining.
    Kenny’s Burgerhouse – burgers and milkshakes.
    Eastern Garden – great dim sum served from carts.
    Shogun Restaurant – excellent Japanese buffet.
    Byron’s Drive-In – best shrimp burger.

Kinney’s Chop Suey: Was on Kapahulu Ave right near Ono Hawaiian Food. Not that the food was better than other Chinese hole in the walls, they were just the go-to place for our family and the mama-san lady was so nice.

Bill’s Bakery: Another Kapahulu Ave landmark where Running Room is now. It was a family owned bakery with the best butter rolls, sugar donuts, and cinnamon bread. Their signature (to me) that is my life quest to find another bakery to make this was their chocolate cake. The frosting was was not quite hard like a shell, but it was not creamy or dobashy either. It was the best!

Hee Hing (the original, before they went upscale): Used to be across Rainbow Drive In, we got our Sunday Wor Gau Gee Mein from there. On “fancy”nights my daddy took us to actually go and sit in for dinner. I thought I was so fancy pants ordering Shrimp Pineapple.

Kwong On: Was on Waialae Ave near where Toys ‘n Joys was. It was a go-to place for ordering manapua, etc to take for omiyage to neighbor island.

Burgerland: Monsarratt Ave where Diamond Head Market and Grill is now. It was as much a drive in staple for Kapahulu as Rainbows.

• esk808 says:

PeeWee’s Drive Inn across Washington Intermediate. Best teri-burger and old style french fries. I can still picture the heavy-set lady with the bunned hair taking orders….

• esk808 says:

Fine Dining:

Canlis – on Kalakaua

Maile Room – Kahala Hilton

Little George’s – on Ala Moana Blvd. across Gold Bond Bldg.

Bagwell’s 2424 – Hyatt Regency Waikiki