Thursday 3 – Departed Musical Artists

If you could bring back any 3 musical artists that have passed away – who would they be?

• Karen Carpenter – Loved her music.  She didn’t just sing words, you could “feel” her music in her voice.  And such a unique voice.
  • John Lennon – Not only for his singing, but especially for his song writing abilities.  I often wonder what songs he’d be writing in today’s times.  “Imagine” never grows old.
  • Michael Jackson – His music.  His moves.  His energy.  He changed with the times and will always be the King of Pop.

Okay, who’s on your Thursday 3 list?  Have more than just 1 list?   Second and third lists allowed, of course.

35 Responses to “Thursday 3 – Departed Musical Artists”

1. Bruddah Sam says:

Bowie
    Cobain
    Lemmy

2. Keoni says:

OK, gonna add some more:

Palani Vaughn Another talent gone too soon!

Gabby Pahinui “Pops” was a genuine treasure

John Koko With his brother, Jerome, and “Moon” Kauakahi, they produced harmonies that were so nahenahe. Hawaiian music at its’ best! Their rendition of Kaulana Na Pua just sends chills down my spine!

Tribute to Glenn Frey, “Hotel California”:

Andy Gibb

Glenn Frey

6. mows says:

John Bonham
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Jim Morrison
    Of Course

Karen Carpenter, of course!
    …what a dynamic voice…

My favorite Karen Carpenter song:

Oh…the memories. Sigh…

Second list, on a theme of died prematurely (in death order?)

Jim Morrison
    Jim Croce
    John Denver

What’s up with all the J’s?

My second list:
    o Freddie Mercury – definitely a musical “artist”.
    o Mackey Feary – his voice was golden.
    o David Bowie – another musical “artist”.

Whitney Houston. One of a kind, magical voice. She definitely died too young.

John Lennon. I’m also wondering what songs he’d be composing now. Such a loss.

Johnny Maestro (Brooklyn Bridge). So sad when I heard he passed. Loved when he played summertime in Central Park.

12. Walter says:

Correction–‘my’ age not ‘by’ age which incidentally is sixty since Feb 28. 119 months and counting till retirement. Yikes!

13. Walter says:

And Mackey Feary. Too bad the addiction overcame his talent but perhaps the talent is touched by some sort of mental ‘demon’. It’s life that has that conflict played out. Anyway check out his sister Dancetta (spelling?) the butterfly lady of Kaneohe on Youtube–happy and sad and inspiring. And Mark Shelby–you have a lot of interesting stories so you’d be a good candidate for the UH Oral History project. And to Rodney those Jack De Mello cds should be ready soon. Also had Alfred Apaka professionally burned to CD so that will also be available but it might take longer as the thing was sent via media mail. Oh boy media mail–might as well be shipped via the ‘Horn’ or by overland stage coach. Am I showing by age?

me… old school… Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Judy Garland, Perry Como…

Rodney, I had 8 track tapes of the Carpenters that I played in my Father’s 1970 huge green 1970 Lincoln Continental that I later turned into my Charley’s Taxi in 1974 when I took a year off from college. I just loved their harmony, music and the always very deep meaning of their words! And especially their TV Music specials! Their loss was a total shock! And I was so sad!

16. tankobu says:

They died too young:

Kui Lee
    Mackey Feary
    Billy Kaui

17. tankobu says:

Buddy Holly
    The Big Bopper
    Ritchie Valens

…the day the music died

Oh no, this is going to take me a while. I had so many favorites. But during my intermission, you can enjoy Hilo Hattie and the good old dayz here! ; )

19. Keoni says:

Auwe, only three, brah? OK, here goes..

Alfred Apaka. the Golden Voice of the islands

Irmmgard Aluli Such a prolific composer and singer! And the matriarch of a musical ‘ohana.

Aunty Genoa Keawe A legend in Hawaiian music and, again, such a large musical family she has left us.

Eh, to da rest, like Palani Vaughn, etc., e kala mai!

20. Faye says:

Mackey Feary – Kalapana
    Robert Beaumont – Olomana
    Billy Kaui – Country Comfort

All so talented and gone too soon.

• Rodney says:

@Faye – Welcome to the MLC blog! Thank you for participating in the list of department musical artists. Local Gold!

Buddy Holly

Bruddah Iz

Janis Joplin

Hmmm – onlt three . . . .

The first ones to come to mind without really thinking about it are:

Ray Charles
    B.B. King
    Chuck Berry

Have to agree with you.

1. Karen Carpenter, she was pure vocals with a perfect pitch and the alpha dog while Richard was the beta.

2. Bruddah Iz, remembered his words with an oxygen tube on the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards. No eat the hamburgers. Eat the laulaus instead. Well, one too many obviously.

3. Elvis, even my muddah knew who he was. Never bought any of his records and never will. Puh-leeze. Still remember his performance at the HIC.

These people died way too young or are we getting way too old? Nah, it’s them, never us.

24. Walter says:

John Lennon. It would be interesting to see how he would react musically to a post 9/11 world. Bobby Darin–would he be like an aged fine wine. Patsy Cline–a powerful voice to rise above. Nat King Cole–enough said and here in the islands the one and only Alfred Apaka. Then there’s the King who wasn’t from the islands but sure loved them. Oops, that’s more than three. My favorite three would be Apaka, Darin and Cole only because I’ve listened to them the most.

25. HbH says:

Israel Kamakawiwo’ole: Need I say more? Miss da bruddahs spirit.

Charles Philip (Gabby) Pahinui: Again a giant spirit.

John Lennon: Have to agree with UR on this. Lennon was an teacher and a spiritual prophet who died way before his time.