Happy Father’s Day

All things father related.  Whether it be your father, your father’s father, or you as a father.  Best memories – going places, his cooking, words of wisdom, any kine.

One of my memories of my dad was when I played little league baseball and he was the manager of my team – this, for a few years.  And we took first place every year he managed.  Even on the off days when there was no team practice, he’d call out the pitchers to practice pitching.  Since I was the catcher, I was always there too.

Dad’s kalbi.  Big bone kalbi – the meat was a huge cube of meat stuck to the bone.  He’d score the cube into fourths so there were like 4 fingers of meat coming out from the bone.  It would be marinated overnight, then cooked on the hibachi.  I have yet to find kalbi as good as his was.

I remember when my dad used to take us to Islander baseball at the old termite palace.  We’d have to park over by Coolidge street and cut across the empty lot coming out right across of Bowl-O-Drome.  And after the game, sometimes if it was still early – we’d look for saimin in Kalihi.  The drive back over the Pali always resulted in me falling asleep in the back seat.

Speaking of falling asleep – I remember when we’d all be watching the ONE black-and-white TV (back in the day, only the rich had more that one TV), and I’d lie down with my head on his lap watching whatever was on TV.  Once he started patting me slowly on my back – game over – I was out within a minute or two.  I vaguely remember waking up as I was being carried to my bed.  No sense fight it – just fall back asleep and enjoy the ride.

His words of wisdom?  I can’t repeat what he used to say back to the TV during the 6 o’clock news.  LOL

Dad was a cash guy.  He had credit cards but used them only for special purchases.  When he got his paycheck – the whole check was cashed.  Part of it would go to mom to pay the mortgage, bills, and food and he kept the rest.  But everything was paid in cash.

I guess having all boys and no girls in the family – my dad was in-charge.  He took us fishing at Hanauma bay, or walking around the point to “toilet bowl”.  Sometimes we’d venture down to Bamboo Ridge or walk by the shoreline at Alan Davis.  He even took us to the canal in the Kawainui swamp to shoot coconuts with his .22 rifle.

To keep four boys in order – he ruled with an iron fist.  The white and yellow house slipper and the brown belt kept us in line.  Boy, did it ever keep us in line.  Sometimes, crying before even the first hit helped psychologically.  Except the one time I was told “Why you crying, you not going get lickin’s”.  It was an automatic reflex.  LOL

Dad lived to the ripe old age of 89.  That gives me hope.  I’m going to shoot for 90.

Happy Father’s Day to all our dads and to all the MLCers who are dads.

20 Responses to “Happy Father’s Day”

“God Bless My Daddy,” first done (as far as I know) by Hui `Ohana, done here by Mark Yamanaka

“My Father’s Eyes,” Amy Grant

“Cat’s in the Cradle,” Harry Chapin

“Daddy, Don’t You Walk So Fast,” Wayne Newton

“Song for my Father,” Horace Silver

My dad is 97 years old and still sharp as a tack. He is a jack of all trades and he taught me everything he knows. A mechanic by trade, he can do carpentry, plumbing, masonry, electrical, painting, landscaping, tile, rock wall, he could fix anything that needed to be fixed, there was almost nothing he couldn’t fix or do. He could even improvise if needed. I’m very thankful that I spent the time with him to learn these things. He has a shop full of tools and power equipment. Thanks Dad and Happy Fathers Day!

7. sameguydifferentchannel says:

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY dads!!!

Wow – kind of tug at the heart strings, this topic. 😉

So many things, so many feelings.

What I am most grateful for were the teachings. There were too many of them to totally encapsulate, too.

Of the teachings, I am most grateful for the sports stuff. There was judo that is significant, too, but the social impact of being able to throw a football and baseball and shoot baskets weighs heavier. Of those – football. Definitely football.

I can’t remember how young I was but I remember that an official sized football was too darned big. LOL. My dad would never allow me to play with a non-regulation sized ball. Upon being able to throw the football somewhat competently, it was hitting a moving receiver. Then – the worse – rolling to your right (I’m right-handed) and passing. I did not like that at all. LOL

I remember having to work on that and feeling that I wanted to quit. But, nooo . . . . LOL

After the roll-right passing, guess what? LOL – roll left. Although maybe actually physically more difficult, it seemed actually easier. I dunno – I guess like the basic mechanic was the same, but like almost “opposite”, IYKWIM.

At any rate – thanks, Dad! 🙂

9. adobo says:

I was fortunate enough to work at my dad’s place before he retired. He’s a quiet guy but I got to see how well respected he was. I sort of knew this already from how all my friends who met him use to always tell me how “cool your dad is”. Never intimidating, always jumping in to help and share what he knows. Don’t get me wrong, he grew up in Palama and can show that heat when needed. My aunt’s had an old picture of him doing the Bruce Lee lat pose, this was way before it was popularized. I remember him teaching me how to shoot (another story). Many Islander baseball games. Fishing Waik’s Natitorium and Sans Souci, and Hauula bachan’s house. And just go swimming AlaMo’s, even when raining. You know, I always use to say our parent’s want their children to surpass what they have done. But for me, it would be hard to top my dad. Love you dad.

10. sameguydifferentchannel says:

He wasn’t a baseball fan, but when I was little, he took me to a lot of McKinley H.S. (his alma mater) football games at Honolulu Stadium. The place seemed huge back then.
    Thing about McKinley I remember the most was that there were a lot of old people among the young sitting in the cheering section, and all stood up and sang, “Black and Gold is waving, boys we’re back of you…” Even him. Wow, that’s tradition!

11. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Growing up I got lots of stares, glares, ‘goddamits’, some cracks, and a whole lot of, “what the hell’s wrong with you”…guess I came out okay. Thanks dad.