Happy Summer Solstice

@4G previously posted:

Happy Summer (and solstice). More than you might want to know about the summer solstice:

I started to reply to his post then thought – Hey, why not make a post about Summer Solstice.  Thanks @4G for this blog idea!

Something that I’ve always wondered about is; why does the peak of the solstice mark the start of the season and is not in the middle of the season?  I mean, shouldn’t the longest day of the year be in the middle of the summer season instead of marking the beginning of the summer season?  Same goes for winter too.

Although the hottest and coldest times of the year aren’t at the longest and shortest days of the year respectively.  Nor are they at the peak of the season – more towards the end of the season.  But I would attribute that to the ground temperature retaining the heat or cold – not so much the length of the day (or night).

Just an MLC observation.

What’s summer without the MLC summer anthem:

How did you spend your summers?  Summer fun?  Summer job?  Bumming around?  What’s your best summer memory?  Post anything summer related!

23 Responses to “Happy Summer Solstice”

1. sameguydifferentchannel says:

That Sunday, That Summer – Nat King Cole

Alice Cooper, “School’s Out for Summer”:

3. walter says:

Summer meant no summer school and sleeping late. Nice times. I remember the song The Summer Knows from the Streisand version on the radio. The tune would creep into my head every so often. Check out the original score if you like lush orchestral music mixed with some jazzy notes. If you enjoy the music of Michel Legrand, his score for The Thomas Crown Affair is great. I also remember ‘Seattle’ from the TV show Here Come The Brides, although the words were changed to fit the show’s theme. I didn’t know it had become popular in the music charts. Summer is still a nice season. Want to start going back to the beach but the paunch has to go before I go.

Bobby Sherman , “Seattle”:

This was actually one of the pieces we played in that “band summer school”.

Another past summer that really sticks out in my mind is the Summer of ’69. It was the summer following my seventh grade year.

I was spent the summer in Washington state with a calabash aunt and uncle and their three kids. I was supposed to go to band summer school (I never heard of such a thing here). It was an area relatively close to Seattle called Lynnwood. I must have stayed there for close to three-months.

I rode the plane over there (and back) by myself. I’m pretty sure it was a Boeing 707 – most likely Pan Am, too. I felt so catered to on those flights. I had a stewardess assigned to me (not exclusively, of course) and even got to carry my own lifejacket contained in a compact tubular packing – that was pretty neat. She escorted me on and off the plane and checked-in on me several times throughout the flight.

I remember watching the moon landing on live TV that summer from Washington state. Really, all I could make out was TV snow, but I was always interested in space travel, especially man going to the moon, so I was good.

I’m a rainy day person, so I really loved the Seattle weather. What really sticks out in my mind is that it wouldn’t get dark over there until 9 p.m. I had never experienced such a thing. It was really novel and cool.

I’m such a geek that I actually read that article on the summer solstice and it does a good job of explaining why the sun stays out longer in the more northern latitude. LOL Turns out it’s not just the daylight that gets lengthened during the summer – the dawns and dusks are also longer during summer, too. LOL

6. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Around the summer of ’67 I caught the skateboarding bug. Yup, wanting to be like the other ‘sidewalk surfers,’ I had to make by own board. Me, a 9-year-old sawing a piece of plywood for the first time, can’t be good.

Standing on the back steps of our house, I had my left hand and foot holding down the wood plank while I’m bent over sawing with my right hand. All of a sudden my right thigh got hot and I realized I was sawing my own leg! Didn’t hurt right away, but all I could think of was, ‘stop the bleeding, stop the bleeding! Don’t tell dad (What the hell’s wrong with you)’ Good thing didn’t need stitches.

So with a patchwork of bandaids, I was able to finish the job, complete with my old metal skate wheels.

Took a while to get the hang of skateboarding, and I added more bandaids to the patchwork. Oh, and also red dots of mercurochrome to elbows and knees.

Eventually I got quite good at skateboarding, but by then, slot car racing caught my interest…

7. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Sunny Afternoon – The Kinks
    as a kid, I never understood this song…just thought the tune was catchy! LOL

8. sameguydifferentchannel says:

In the Summertime – Mungo Jerry

“The Summer Knows” (Theme from the “Summer of ’42”) (lot of pics of Jennifer O’Neill 😉 ):

Alice Cooper, “School’s Out [for Summer]”:

10. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Aside from working at Dole Cannery, summer meant hanging out with the guys, playing at the park and bodysurfing Makapuu and Bellows.

For me, a highlight was camping over at a beach house in Hauula with our sister club from Kalani. Just plain fun!

• 4G says:

eh, @Mark’75 – we had several of those kinds of camping trips with our sister club, too. Was at a beach house near Kualoa Ranch. Good times! 🙂

• adobo says:

In town we use to play football on the BB courts at night because courts were lighted. When cruising during days, would always check the parks for games. Kailua always had locals, when we start tossing the ball they ask us if we like join for play the marines. Good games back then. Camping Bellows was always a plan. Bodysurfing, Sherwoods wasn’t a park back then so if you didn’t had 4wheel you had to watch out for the mud flats and soft sand. Beach house? We still slept outside for watch the fishing poles. Let the females, keiki, and old folks sleep inside. Hey, that’s me now.

Don Henley, “The Boys of Summer”:

The Beach Boys, “All Summer Long”:

Summer – in particular, summers past.

I think the thing that most comes to mind is summer vacation (as a student) back in the day. It was three-months off from school after all! Nowadays? Not so much. I feel badly for the kids these days – they don’t seem to get the same amount of vacation time, especially summer vacation.

It’s funny – I can remember being in early elementary school and wondering what the world was like outside of school. I disliked school so that I often longed for the day when I could be “in that outside world”. Now that I am in the “outside world”, I often wish that I could go back to those simpler times. Yeah – that ain’t happening . . . . LOL

The summer that I have the fondest memory of was the high school graduation summer. Life was good. I didn’t have a lot of money, but working part-time afforded me with some spending money. I had a car that allowed a whole lot of freedom and escape from parental control.

I had a fake ID in hand that allowed access the “grown-up” things like nightclubs. We had co-ed slumber parties. We’d go the beach during the day, nightclubs at night and even 3 a.m. tennis sessions at Kapiolani Park (tennis was really popular back then and getting open courts was a little difficult). This was also the 70’s and dope was pretty prevalent. 🙂

There was a feeling of being freed from the chains of the public education system. Sure, UH lurked around the corner, but who could be bothered by that thought in the summer following your high school graduation? What I didn’t really connect was the fact that that summer would be the last time I would see the majority of these friends. It was a REALLY good time.

Most of those people from that summer, as far as I know, are still alive (and hopefully well). There are two, though, that I know are no longer alive. They both died at or before the age of 50. 🙁

• adobo says:

Very same for me. I couldn’t wait for graduation but at the same time I knew life as I knew it would soon end, no more next grade to go to. Looking back, summer and the next couple of years were some of the best years! Going to KCC and working part time, enough money for gas, beer, and smokes, good to go. Beach, fishing, camping, or just hooking up with friends or co-workers. No worries, no major bills, no mortgage, etc. Pay day was a paper check, cash em and budget till the next one. Entering the work force was good too, making money. Then, what happened? Responsibilities, competition to succeed, idk? Now days instead of passing by, I find myself cruzin beach when driving thru country, or Ala Mo’s when in town. Man I miss those past summers.

“Summer Breeze,” Seals & Crofts. So evocative.

Possibly my favorite summer song:
    “Summer Song,” Dave Brubeck and Louis Armstrong

15. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Summer – War

“Kids of all ages diggin’ Disneyland” Yeah!

16. sameguydifferentchannel says:

120 degrees in Phoenix? Yikes, be safe, @anklebyters!

“Summertime”, Janis Joplin: