Happy MLC Fourth of July!

Happy Independence Day or what we used to call “forta July”.  Growing up, the fourth of July wasn’t really a big deal – because it was the middle of summer and we were already out for summer vacation.  If anything – it meant blowing up things like on new year’s eve.  But the popping usually ended early as the next day was a working day for dad and that meant no loud noise after 9:00.

When I was younger, our church would sometimes have a fourth of July picnic at Bellows.  I remember those because the hot dogs and chips tasted so good at the beach.  And the afternoon watermelon break was nice and refreshing.

As I got older, I used to ride my bike or drive over to my friend’s house who lived on Kainalu Drive – right where the annual Kailua Fourth of July parade passed.  And as night fell, it meant the fireworks show from Flat Island.

Nowadays, the fourth of July mostly means another break from work.  Don’t get me wrong – I do appreciate the independence I have living in America.  Although sometimes, it seems like a little too much independence.

But anyway – what are your Fourth of July memories?  I’m sure it’s much different today than it was small-kid-time.  Have any good Independence Day stories to share?

12 Responses to “Happy MLC Fourth of July!”

1. mows says:

Spent the forta July in North Carolina this year and it was awesome. Just like new years eve here. They got huge fireworks stores on the border in South Carolina (where it is legal) filled with aerials, huge cakes (Sheraton Waikiki friday night kind) and firecrakers. Bought some in Ohio, the guy said it is illegal but you will most likely get a warning and with everyone popping cannot enforce, just like here. Felt just like new hears eve with all the haze and aerials going off everywhere you look.

I don’t remember the Fourth of July being that big of a deal growing up. I mean, we knew what the holiday was all about and its significance in American history, but firecrackers were practically nonexistent – certainly nowhere near the firecrackers of New Year’s Eve.

During my summer visit to Washington state in the summer of 1969, though, I remember being surprised at seeing kids playing with firecrackers on the Fourth of July. They would just walk down the street and toss single firecrackers (safely from what I saw).

These were not like the firecrackers I was familiar with in Hawaii, though. I’m not sure where they were manufactured, but they had a name something like “Black Cat” (my first instinct was to say “Black Panther”, but I think that recollection is influenced by the radical group of the same name).

The firecrackers were black, with rather large silver letters (saying, “Black Cat”, or whatever they were called). And, they seemed larger than the firecrackers I had seen in Hawaii. They were pretty loud, but I can’t say how their loudness compared to Hawaii firecrackers. I’m not sure what color the “firecracker rubbish” (the paper after they’re popped) was, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t red. Black would seem a reasonable conclusion, but I’m not really sure. LOL

3. losthawaiian says:

I’ve been fortunate enough to watch and participate in the fourth of July celebrations in many different areas of our country.From Kailua beach(small kid time) to last night, here in south west Florida. I found the best fireworks show was at St George, Utah where two communities try to out duel each other, spectacular shows both!I’ve been to the Rose bowl and Phoenix as well as Richmond, Virginia. The shows at both Disneyland and Disneyworld are great too. But,I still miss the small town parade at Kailua and remember eating musubi, fried chicken and teri beef at Kailua beach after swimming all day. Great memories all!

4. walter says:

The Fourth of July was always meh as far as celebrating and all. Oh well. But it was summer and still is so that’s something. Anyway I didn’t grow up to be a flag waver but I’m sure glad to be American, so Happy belated 4th of July!

5. James says:

I’ll never forget watching the fireworks at Lanikai and getting my first ever ticket for parking on the grass. But the aroma from all those hibachis made up for it.

Happy Fourth of July all MLCers!

7. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Can’t recall if it was a July 4th, but one year I worked a special duty assignment at Sheraton Waikiki for a Johnny Cash concert. I thought, okay, a country western crowd…should be different. Johnny Cash did this song, it was the first time I heard it and if left a lump in my throat.

Ragged Old Flag

8. sameguydifferentchannel says:

The forta July that sticks in my mind was July 4, 1976. A lot was going on for the bicentennial, like special coins, two dollar bill, stars and stripes everywhere and on everything. Spirit of ’76 all around, including the return of that orange 76 Union foam antennae ball! (had to get one)

9. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Happy ‘forta’ July!!!

We used to go to the beach on the North Shore and stop in the pineapple fields to watch the fireworks from Scholfield.

hmmm, never thought about not having forta July memories. We never played firecrackers and I don’t recall a special bbq. Should ask my brothers if they remember anything LOL but they’re all older than me so they are MLC squared!