Retro TV Shows

Since we’re on the subject of TVs.  Remember these shows?

What shows do you remember watching?  Ever watch some of the old shows on MeTV?

I like the old Twilight Zone shows – the old ways, the clothing, the smoking of cigarettes, the respect the kids had for their elders, and especially the weird, twisted endings.

Skipping a few generations from the Twilight Zone series – The Brady Bunch was another one of my favorites.  I loved the clothes, the architecture of the homes, the same cars, toys, etc. that we grew up with.  Me, I could relate with Jan Brady.

What were some of your favorite shows?  Who did you secretly have a pre-adolescent crush on?  We won’t tell.

45 Responses to “Retro TV Shows”

1. Cokej01 says:

I watched a lot of Checkers & Pogo at my after-school babysitter’s house, and Kikaida, etc. But what I which I could see again were the educational shows PBS aired during week days. If I was lucky enough get out of school ‘cus I was sick, I would watch all these shows about mainland kids in mainland schools dealing with adolescent issues. One show I remember had a bunch of teen age, cool hippy kids who were dealing with drugs. I would love to see that one again now.

I can’t remember anyone here mentioning the TV show “Laugh IN”. I used to race home from church every Sunday night to watch it. This was before TV recorders. And I had a total crush on Goldie Hawn! ; )

What? No Checkers and Pogo! ; )

Aloha ALL!

I’ve been gone on a 6 week long Summer road trip.

I helped my friend move from San Diego to Port Angeles WA. I drove her 28 foot Penske truck and I towed my Buick behind so I would have my own car to do my long Summer road trip home. What a blast it was!

Great list of favorite TV shows guys! I agree with all of them!

• sameguydifferentchannel says:

@Mark Shelby: Sounds like a great trip! Driving interstate is certainly something we can’t do on these islands. Nice to hear from you! (Had to change from Mark’75 due to unknown moderation issues)

• Mark Shelby says:

I actually tried my best to stay off the interstate on the way home. I did a lot of two lane highways and stopped at fun little towns along the way. Some backwoods camping too. I brake for thrift stores and garage sales. Fun meeting people from all over and chatting.

4. sameguydifferentchannel says:

WKRP in Cincinnati!
    me, I was a Bailey(Jan Smithers) fan…

5. sameguydifferentchannel says:

One of my favorite TV theme songs:
    Chico and the Man

“Looking Good!”

6. Walter says:

Gilligan’s Island. I can quote from so many episodes after being inculcated from reruns daily Monday through Friday at 5:30 for how many years not to mention having watched it in prime time starting in 1964. Also saw a lot of Rocky and Bullwinkle reruns on the mainland at about the same time as Gilligan Island reruns in Hawaii. And speaking of Rocky–Here’s to you June Foray, the voice behind the flying squirrel and Natasha as well as a host of other characters. Thanks for the laughs. She just left us for Cartoonland in the sky.

7. steven zane says:

In the afternoons I watched the Three Stooges. Captain Honolulu followed.On Fri.There was Flipper followed by the Jetsons and Flintstones.Sat. morning I loved Bullwinkle and Rocky.Remember Boris Batenoff and Natashia? That weekend there was BIG TIME WRESTLING hosted by Lord Tally Ho Blears.Lippy Espinda sold his cars across Kapiolani Blvd. where Century Center is now.Sat. nite we watched Lawrence Welk. On Sun.nite Bonanza!

8. tankobu says:

Also liked Barney Miller and the Bob Newhart show (the psychiatrist).

My favorite variety show was the Dean Martin Show. He was the master of cool.

9. tankobu says:

Watched m*a*s*h and the Andy Griffith Show on meTV tonite. I like the early years of Andy Griffith, liked watching Opie grow up.

“Me, I could relate with Jan Brady.” – Did you wear a big afro wig and shades? Just kidding. That was the first thought/image I had when I read that quote.

🙂

11. Bruddah Sam says:

My family in CA sent me to my grandma’s house in Kaneohe for long summer vacations in the 70’s. It was the best times of my life visiting with my Hawaiian family. TV was a big deal, and all my cousins would gather round to watch shows I couldn’t see in Los Angeles. Here were our favs:

Kikaida
    Kamen Rider
    Go Rangers
    Inazuman
    Rainbowman
    Denjin Zaboga

I remember a Denjn Zaboga replica motorcycle parked at an auto parts store (?) off Kam Hwy in Windward City. Anyone remember that?

12. JN says:

The Six Million Dollar Man
    Happy Days
    Taxi
    Moonlighting

13. Arthur David says:

In my youth, I watched these shows:
    Batman
    The Monkees
    Star Trek – The Original Series
    The Partridge Family
    Bewitched
    I Dream of Jeannie
    M*A*S*H

After arriving in Hawaii
    The Rockford Files
    Charlies Angels
    Fantasy Island
    The Love Boat

And a show that made my Thurday nights fun
    Sha Na Na.

14. HbH says:

@tankobu,sameguydifferentchannel

My first crushes were not T.V stars but these Kanani Wahine.

Actress Maria Yi (still crush on her once in awhile)

Actress Angela Mao (what can say? A taiwan girl who looks good kicking butt lol)

15. HbH says:

Wow nice topic. I am corney. I still watch the old Hawaii 5-0, Magnum P.I (both mainly because you get glempses of old Oahu) Still like M.A.S.H. Gilligan’s Island, kungfu, kung fu theater. I still watch alot of 70s movies from The Shaw Brothers, Golden Harvest brands and bruce lee. Heck the other day I even had a chance to watch Airplane 78 and the planet of the apes. Hmmmm lets see. Ive watched the old Ultraman series once again just for kicks. All the old Godzilla movies(just classics), Once in awhile I even watch an episode of Kikada, Kamen Rider(just to chuckle). Sometimes one has to breakout the old LoneWolf & Cub series out or watch an old Obake film like Kwaiden.

Some of you guys made great references to shows I would watch if they were available to experience again. Shows like Checkers and Pogo. Frank Valenti’s ILH Game of the Week( there are some old games on youtube) Hawaii Moving Company(sp?)

16. HbH says:

@UR

Happy Late Birthday! May you be blessed with joy and peace.

Happy Birthday Rodney! You deserve a retro tv series of your own! Many happy returns of your day

18. sameguydifferentchannel says:

ABC’s Wide World of Sports
    “The Thrill of Victory, and the Agony of Defeat”

19. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Once in a while I’d watch the Lucky Luck Show which kinda competed with Checkers and Pogo. I remember him saying at the end, “Be good to your mommies and daddies, or I going come your house and bus’ you up!” Hahahaha

20. KC fan says:

I remember a show called “Alias Smith and Jones”. Think Pete Duel and Ben Murphy were the title characters.Both were outlaws but the Governor was going to pardon them but not right away so during that time they were still wanted men. Wasn’t on too long though, maybe 2 years. Think the guy Pete Duel died kinda tragically. Oh, and secret crush: Susan Dey on Partridge Family.Kinda dug her on “LA Law” too.

21. sameguydifferentchannel says:

McHale’s Navy. Fuji was one of my favorites…”Oy vey skippah-san!” LOL

22. sameguydifferentchannel says:

The Honeymooners. “One of these days, Alice…POW! to the moon!”

23. sameguydifferentchannel says:

50th State Wrestling! Johnny Barend’s theme song:
    FRANCIS!!

24. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Frank Valenti’s ILH Game of the Week, featuring high school football games at Honolulu Stadium. Wow, old rivalries like Farrington vs Kamehameha, Roosevelt vs Punahou, etc…

25. DIHUDFAN says:

American Dance Stand

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
    Branded
    Lassie
    Flipper
    M*A*S*H
    The Sonny and Cher Show (Cher! 😉 LOL)
    The Carol Burnett Show
    Mister Ed

12 o’clock High
    Green Acres
    The Outer Limits
    The Alfred Hitchcock Show
    The Beverly Hillbillies
    Mission Impossible (RIP Martin Landau)
    Hogan’s Heroes
    Family Affair
    The Courtship of Eddie’s Father

28. GARETH says:

Some of those Twilight Zone episodes were really scary; especially the ones with talking dolls or ventriloquists dummies, or the ones with country people. Especially if you were watching the show alone, late at night…

29. Shoyu burner says:

Gilligan’s Island, F troop, Johnny Quest, Rat Patrol,Voyage to bottom of the Sea…..

30. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Combat! Another use for our Mattel tommy guns besides shooting monsters…
    Yup, we had infinity bullets, like Sergeant Saunders!

31. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Secret pre-adolescent crush? okay no tell nobody…JEANNIE! LOL

Need to go a sukosh further back LOL Petticoat Junction. choo chooooo!