Merry MLC Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all the MLCers!

What are some of your best Christmas memories?

As a child, I remember how we used to go to church for candle-light service every Christmas eve.  That meant I got to hold a candle and play with fire!  Not really – had to behave.  But it was cool watching all the burning candles glowing when they turned off the lights.  And that also signified that it was just about 12 hours away from opening presents!

Then when we had children of our own, on Christmas eve when our girls were sound asleep in their beds, I used to walk in with a string of jingle bells that we had and gently shake them – hoping they would vaguely hear it and think Santa Claus has arrived.  But not too loud as to wake them up.  Kinda messing with their sub-conscious.  LOL

What are some of your best Christmas memories – as a child or as a parent?

28 Responses to “Merry MLC Christmas!”

Merry belated Christmas! I am late to the party this year. My mother passed away at the end of November so many of my memories are centered around her. A couple of weeks before she passed I found a box of Christmas ornaments that she made and I took them over to show her . She used to love to sew and create things. She would sew Christmas material into these tube things, braid them and turn it into a wreath. She would also take our school pictures and make ornaments out of them and I also have a tree skirt she made although we do not put up a tree anymore. Somewhere in storage there are other things she made like an angel tree topper and other handmade Hawaiian ornaments. She also would bake spritz cookies, the kind that you have to press out and hand decorate each one. Looking back I realize that she was the one that made Christmas fun while we were growing up. She would put up the tree, decorate along with us. I also remember she bribed me to not tell my brother that Santa was not real by continuing to give me a Santa gift late into my teens. Oh the memories.

• Rodney says:

I’m sorry to hear of your mom’s passing @Masako. But it’s these little things – like Christmas ornaments – that keeps her memory living on in our hearts. Merry Christmas to you and @M.

Christmas stocking stuffed with an orange, apple, nuts, hearsey kisses and a pack of BBDs. 🙂

3. RBB says:

When Terry & I looked forward to making model planes and tanks so we could try to fling fire crackers (Camel brand) at them and blowing them up,lol…

4. kcfan says:

@Rodney. Thank you. My Dad’s pretty cool. Although he’s not in the best of health right now his mind is very sharp for 93 going on 94 in January.

5. sameguydifferentchannel says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS MLCers!!!

One of the earliest lessons that I remember was that sometimes life just isn’t fair.

Christmas Eve was always an exciting night what with all the pageantry and the anticipation of opening all the presents Christmas morning. I remember (this is like early elementary school time) that I would hear that some of my school friends were allowed to open one Christmas gift on Christmas Eve. My house? No way, Jose! LOL

To make matter worse, my maternal grandmother would open ALL her gifts Christmas Eve!

No fair!

LOL – the things you remember . . . .

One year, when my oldest brother was old enough to be working and could buy presents, he bought my mom a set of towels. Don’t ask me why I remember this in so much detail, but they were light green with a pattern of a swan amongst some reeds in a lake.

FFWD quite a few decades, another brother said I could come pick up a chest of some things belonged to my mom (who passed in 1975). Lots of treasures were in there and, yes, that swan towel was there in perfect condition. I’ve been using the hand towel in my bathroom for the past 4yrs now, it is now MY treasure.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I missed our cold weather in Seattle when I was young. So every summer in Honolulu I would go out back of our house and cut up kiawe wood logs for our large lava rock fireplace, so it could dry out by Christmas. Then I would pray for a cold rainy Christmas season! Ya, like 58* is cold. ; ) Leading up to Christmas day I would light a fire in the fireplace every night and we would sit in the living room and share our memories, drink hot chocolate, hot cider, etc. Then for sure a big fire Christmas morning. It always made it so cozy!

9. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Mamacita Donde Esta Santa Claus
    …It’s Christmas Eve!

10. kcfan says:

I remember.when I was in Intermediate school (Ha before it was called middle) I wondered why we didn’t have a Christmas tree one year, but saw my dad under our house making something. As it turned out it was a home made tree. Well I thought it was great but wondered why, so I asked my dad.I found out that he had lost his job and he didn’t want to disappoint the family. Well my dad and I didn’t always agree on everything, but I will always remember what he did that Christmas. Well the following year he did find a job, provided for us I will always know what kind of man he is and what kind of man I try to be. Ha, maybe that’s a Fahter’s day story instead of a Christmas story.

• Rodney says:

@kcfan – The sacrifices that our parents did for us – including trying to keep everything normal – when it really wasn’t. Thanks for the touching story.

11. Pam V says:

I remember our first Christmas as a married couple in our first purchased townhouse. We had really high ceilings in our living room so the first thought was “Hey, let’s get a tall tree! Not just a tiny 2 or 3 footer. Let’s go for 7 footer”! It was a really nice tree and I was feeling really good about it!! But then once we got it home and standing in its place, reality set in. OMG, we only have enough decorations for a 2 footer! Do you know how much decorations you need to have to decorate a tree of that size and then not having $$ cause we used it all on our down payment to purchase our home?

In any event, I was waiting at the bus stop talking to another rider and casually mentioning my story to her. Few days later, she presented me with some handmade ornaments that she made using plastic canvas and yarn. I was blown away and felt so thankful and grateful. That was 28 years ago and I still remember Gladys, the sweet older Japanese lady who caught theBus with me almost every morning!!

Now, I don’t even bother putting up a tree but I know those ornaments are still boxed up in the closet and I’m feeling nostalgic for those good ‘ol days and I am reminded that I am working on myself to become a better person just like that sweet, generous, kind lady Gladys!!

Wow! Thank you Rodney for asking us to remember a past memory which brought me to this awakening!! May there be love, peace and kindness in all of our hearts and throughout this world!!
    Let there be peace on Earth!!💕

• Rodney says:

Thank you for sharing such a heartwarming story, @Pam V. As I was reading your story, a memory popped into my head of how – when kids decorate the Christmas tree, only the lower half gets done. LOL
      But like you folks, we don’t get a tree either. But here’s something, why not take out a few of Gladys’ decorations and put them around the house as a reminder of the love that Gladys shared with you. And how you’re now sharing that love with others.
      Yes, let there be Peace on Earth.

12. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Christmas commercials like Santa gliding on snow on an electric shaver, used to get me excited when the Christmas season started.

Sorry, @Rod – kinda off-topic, but then kinda not, too . . . . LOL

I have very many (is there such a thing? LOL ) fond memories of Christmas’s past. And I realize that that is the focus of the post.

HOWEVER (lol), as much as I love the trips “down memory lane” –

I feel like it is important, at this point in time, to realize that every one of 6-7 billion people on this earth at this time cannot possibly be “#1” all of the time, at the same time. It is just not possible, to me.

Therefore, we need to find a way to co-exist; play “win-win”. The world need not be only “win-lose”.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 😀

• 4G says:

To clarify – I’m not saying that I’m not equally guilty of playing “win/lose” myself on many more than one occasion, you know? I’m just thinking that we all need to head to that target, flaws and all. 😉

• Rodney says:

No apology necessary, @4G. As us baby boomers get older, we get wiser – hopefully. LOL. And with the wisdom comes understanding – how although we may not have been “first”, we can still consider ourself a winner. Like when I used to bowl league, I was the anchorman and maybe we needed 2 more marks to win (there’s that win word). Instead of pressuring out, I just told myself to do the best I can. Regardless of the outcome, I walked away knowing that I gave it my all – and that made me a winner – in my own mind. And the team understood too. And that was the win-win. Merry Christmas!

14. kcfan says:

I remember one Christmas when I was 9 or 10 years old, I received a present from a good friend of my mom’s. It was in the shape of those Duck Brand firecrackers the square 100 pack ones. I thought,how cool is this lady, giving a 10 year old firecrackers. When I opened the gift on Christmas morning, to my surprise, it was Yick Lung seeds! I told my brother what I thought it was earlier and when he saw when I open it, laughed his a** off. Oh well!!

15. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Presents: clothes, meh…toys, YES!

16. sameguydifferentchannel says:

Decorating the Christmas tree was a highlight growing up. Dad set up the tree and my three older sisters set up lights and we’d hang old glass ornaments, some were hand-painted sets. They would carefully drape tinsel around on branches and I’d toss some on to help!